[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

1 hour ago, jl08 said:

@chatterbox22

I share your views that the people/judges in this drama paved the way for greater listening than jumping to a decision based on old school views. It's good to have 2 younger judges to provide greater insight into the possible contributing factors on both sides so that a balanced decision can be arrived at in the judgement.

Oh Reum has provided a wider perspective of how cases should be viewed from the feminist point of view, which is sadly lacking most of the time. The men placed themselves as the superior beings and women are treated without respect so this drama scores highly with its realistic sexual harassment cases and shed light on the sufferings and trauma of the victims involved and that NO excuse should be tolerated for their perpetrators.

I love how Ba Reun shows his concern for Oh Reum and it's touching to see him hurrying after her after she shared about her lift experience. Ba Reun is such a sweet guy although his keeps a strict exterior. I pity Oh Reum that she had to learn what sexual harassment is from such a young age and that it's still haunting her to the extent of affecting her thoughts on marriage. That's really sad and I'm sure that there are real life cases where the victims are traumatised for life.

I hope Ba Reun will show her the tenderness of being loved and the gestures that come with it so that she knows the difference between love and harassment and can overcome her trauma.

Looking forward to the next episodes and I saw photos of L and Ara arriving at the wrap up party today. Sad that the filming has ended...lol. Can't see wefies shots of L and Ara after this! They have such great chemistry. The drama is awesome. :)

They're done shooting? How many episodes are we in for?

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry for being slow hahaha but ep 3 is so funny in the first 20mins :lol: judge jung and do yeon.. lol and the 10cm

joke!! and at night market.. and the toilet cleaner.. :lol::lol::lol: then came the v disturbing sexual harrassment case :astonished: i wished i could have soaped my eyes with that hairy chest pic!! dang.

I really like this series. I'm only watching this and Come and Hug Me right now and I love both. 

At first, I was a bit awkward watching L and GA mainly bec GA looked so much older than L. But I googled and found that he's only 2 years younger than her. He looks younger, seriously.

I really love the message of the drama. As judges, they need to be impartial and unemotional during cases. This is the first time I've seen a drama with judges as the main lead so I have no point of comparison. But I like how both characters are open for growth. IBR is uncompromising but not totally close minded. He listens and muddles over PCOR's actions. My fave part is his silent thoughts. It shows how cynical he has become, maybe bec of his time as a judge. He always say what is on his mind during the hs flashbacks, but he is more introspective now. He is exactly what OR needs. OR is emotionally hasty. BR is her voice of reason. On the other hand, OR has been helping BR to be more empathic to those around him.

Can't wait for the next episode.

I wonder where Judge Park gets all her energy. She's able to handle their workload and fight for "justice" for her fellow justices. I admire that she wants to fight for what is right. But she can be a bit too rash at times. Go Ara is sooo pretty in this series. I love how her make-up is done. And I'm super loving her interaction with her the presiding judge! 

@bebebisous33 I totally agree. Ba Reun is a really great character.  I have never seen a character like him in dramaland before. He is not a one-dimensional male lead. It actually applies to all characters in Miss Hammurabi. They are like real people who have their flaws. Who are angry sometimes. Who are sad and hurt. And also who can laugh and be happy just like that.

In every situation Ba Reun tries to consider every point of view. And even if he misses something he is not afraid to admit it. A big round of applause for L for such a great portrayal of him. 

Go Ara is also shining as Park Cha O Reum. She may come across as too idealistic but we know what she experienced. She really tries to make a difference. She may sometimes be too quick with her actions but she wants things to be right. She follows her heart. She has to be more calm but I think she will soon learn it.

@jl08 It's sad that the shooting is over but on the other hand they don't have to worry about tight schedules when it comes to filiming. Now they can relax and rest :) 

I got it now. They are not Twins :D. Still, her past isnt fully reveald.

The same with you @allythefangirl where those power come from. She had very bad experience at younger age. And now she develop into "someone amazing", for herself and everyone around her.

She teach us how to share that power to everyone. How we should protect each other, because together we are stonger.

I love all the feminist idea in this drama. I am a women, and i do feel the story line. I smile and cry alot by watching this drama. Every scene was so touchable :blush:

And of course the love line story :wub::wub:

Go ara, you made the right decision to pick this drama BRAVO :D

And now i become fallin in love with L :tongue::tongue::tongue:

All the character was so unique yet have strong impression. An extraordinary character yet so realistic. Great job writer'nim, all team Jjang!!!

K-DRAMA REACTION: MISS HAMMURABI | EPISODE 4

A risky matter after another.

The Strong and The Weak

miss-hammurabi-ep-4-bareun.jpg?w=840miss-hammurabi-ep-4-oreum.jpg?w=840

Park Cha O Reum is judging Im Ba-reun very wrong. He too can’t stand injustice but he is not as she thinks he is. His family has needs. He can only ride a cheap bike and not an expensive luxury car. His salary all goes to loans.

O Reum only sees how individualist he is. I know, I know. She’s right about privileged people don’t care because they can stand alone but the weaker ones need to stand together to survive. But I just can’t stand that she can’t see the other side of his colleague. She too has some privileges of her own. But maybe, they should be more open to each other. And I think that is what this case will do for them. O Reum must see that they actually standing on the same side and Ba-reun should take more action to prove it.

FULL: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/05/31/k-drama-reaction-miss-hammurabi-episode-4/

FIRST IMPRESSIONS: LAWLESS LAWYER, COME HERE AND HUG ME, ABOUT TIME, MISS HAMMURABI

20180529_142834_6723

Miss Hammurabi
Network: jtbc
Genre: Legal
No. of Episodes: 16 episodes (60 mins)

My first-hand experience of a drama about judges was not really pleasant with that woeful Nothing to Lose, but this one proved to be the total opposite. Miss Hammurabi is about the life of judges and the various disputes that they have to settle. At the center of the story are new judges Im Ba-reun (Infinite’s L), Parkcha Oh-reum (Go Ara), and chief judge Han Se-sang (Sung Dong-il). Ba-reun is a judge who’s a stickler for rules. He’s intelligent but he lacks empathy making him look arrogant. Oh-reum, on the other hand, is a passionate and idealistic rookie judge. She already made a lot of ruckus on her first days of work as her intolerance for injustice dragged her into troublesome scenarios, which by the way what I love about her character. Lastly, Se-sang is an experienced judge with serious temperamental issues but he appears to be really a good-natured one. Throw these three interesting characters into one office, all I can say is we’re in for a rollercoaster ride.

Verdict: I really don’t know what direction this drama will be taking as it progresses, I just hope it won’t end up being episodic featuring one case after another. But as for the first episode, it’s strangely addictive especially Kim Myung-soo. LOL.

Full: https://ahjummamshies.com/2018/05/31/first-impressions-lawless-lawyer-come-here-and-hug-me-about-time-miss-hammurabi/

[SPOILERS!!!][Miss Hammurabi Roundup] Episode 3

201805282007407946442_20180529001035_01_

1. [+2030, -37] Seriously this drama is the best.. I'll for sure buy the judge-nim's book and read it (t/n: the writer of this drama is a real judge)

2. [+1544, -21] Seriously, the last scene showed us that even if the laws and courts protect us, I feel like they're trying to tell us that even a woman who's good at sports can feel like they're in danger because of men, it was really upsetting

3. [+1415, -13] I can't forget the last scene, even a character who comes out in the drama as a strong woman who's a black belt holder, she was surrounded by men and encountered a struggle so she had to join a group drunk ahjussis to escape because she had no other choice because she was powerless as a woman, there was a line that said the laws will protect us but right after that line, this scene came out, I think it properly reflected real life

4. [+1321, -18] It was really refreshing so I liked it but at the end, when the men cursed at her and she had to borrow the strength of others to escape that situation because she had no other choice, the woman's sense of humiliation was really realistic so I almost cried. That woman is a person who's learning a sport and a strong woman but still, she's no match for a man. It's perplexing. 

5. [+397, -9] That last scene seriously ㅜㅜ

VA9VJL2z24Cwic5Kk308IAKuJbf6qYon2TJFdZqI

1. [+1433, -19] I hope people will watch this and stop underestimating the sexual harassment women experience. Women aren't always the only victims but I hope some men who aren't empathetic feel something after watching this. 

2. [+657, -17] Do you know why mirroring comes out? It's because with mirroring, you experience the exact same thing so that's the only way you'll understand. You're not even a preschooler but would only understand through mirroring... Problems like that are prevalent for women in scoiety. If you aren't going to speak up and say issues like that need to disappear, it's better for you to just shut up. Don't mindlessly open your trap, if there are men like that, please use your strength for issues like that and don't try to ignore women 

3. [+633, -6] The fact that a male writer wrote this bb (t/n: bb is like a thumbs up)

4. [+370, -6] I hope men would watch this drama and at least feel and sympathize a bit. They say that you can't mirror the original so we're more sad and suffering more and we live in a world that's filled with resentment... we're not expecting you to understand perfectly. But I hope you at least really feel something. 

5. [+282, -7] 'Miss Hammurabi' is so good, it really feels like you're watching a court dispute, it handles a lot of the recent issues and the actors' acting is good too, be successful     

cr: DdoBoja, 

@allythefangirl

Hi. 16 episodes I think, if I'm not mistaken. :)

I really love all the episodes. Ep 3's fav part for me is Ba Reun's care for Oh Reum when he ran to accompany her at the lift. Ep 4 is just so beautiful and I love the last part where Oh Reum and Ba Reum were on parallel journeys, she driving a car and he, in a taxi and the follow-up events. Ba Reun's conversation with the taxi driver clarified the profile of government employees, that they could work late too, and that they should appreciate that it's not too frequent since the taxi driver said his daughter had a camp bed in her office.

I thought about the significance of the driver asking Ba Reun if his modern bike was a wheelchair. I realised that it could be meant to show us the generation gap since that episode emphasised the 2 different cultures eg. the lift issue- whether the senior should go in first or the ladies.

I love Oh Reum's scene where she took a dangerous turn at the traffic junction just so that the little girl could cross the road safely. Some think she's reckless and emotional but I think that she's doing good  because she makes the world a better place to live in. She's for the weak , though at times she could be impulsive. Ba Reun telling her not to be hasty is good advice indeed. 

My fav scene in ep 4 - that poignant moment when Ba Reun said " If you want to complain about it, let's do it right. I'll send an email to everyone". 

This simple yet touching statement sets the tone for the younger generation to push forth changes that will close the gap between the gender inequality. It also shows the deep feelings that Im Ba Reun has for Oh Reum. He doesn't want her to get hurt and he's showing her the right way.

This drama is awesome. :)

I'm loving they are showing dramas were the women are telling the men were not to be trample with on trample on..  Loving she's giving men a dose of they're on action and behavior as she's pointing out.. But men are dogs  let's see how far can she get with her woman libration acts 

i just watched ep4.. and i’ve to admit here that i’m still very conservative with my thinking that there are still the certain professionalism which require high EQ.. medical experts eg. surgeons, law enforcers eg. military leaders, in this drama, judges. to be able to maintain calm composure and listen to all parties narrative give a firm and partial judgment.

i mean, are you able to trust a surgeon with a major operation of your loved ones if he/she is not able to handle the situation calmly.. breaking into tears when listening to you or laughing hilariously at a joke?

in most organizations, employees are given the equal rights to speak to their immediate supervisors or HR should there be any issues/faults/concerns. but to sign petitions and rounding people as a group to voice out will instill instability and divide employees.. this is something which the management will not tolerate.

still, i hope to see oh reum being able to nurture, mature and grow as a strong and dependable judge towards the end of the drama.. (and i probably will see some protests with what i said earlier here oops)

@sadthe1st

Lol...no protests. A drama and its plot has many angles to it. Good to share the different perceptions.  :)

I think the reason why Oh Reum resorted to garnering a petition is probably because she knew that the organisation is full of male chauvinists  and none of them give a damn about 'trivial' feminine issues and even a miscarriage has no impact on the judges. I think it's her last resort. I agree that most of such cases might involve speaking with the supervisor just that in this place, there is no equality in gender so it'll be kinda difficult to seek justice for a traumatised colleague. Those flashes going through Ba Reun's mind as he stood on the rooftop...all the rejected help and pushing away responsibility...must have had impacted him so much that he decided to help Oh Reum. He could see the shortcomings of the organisation, despite his initial stance to be an "AI robot".

Ba Reun definitely has good influence on Oh Reum so most likely she'll mature and grow over time to become one who will do things the right way in order to help in a proper manner, just like Ba Reun told her in ep 4. She has to also learn not to let her emotions overwhelm her in the long run. For now, it's probably because she's a rookie judge who just joined so it's kinda an emotional roller coaster ride for her still...  :)

p/s: It's interesting to note that Miss Hammurabi is a TV series written by Moon Yoo-Seok who is the Chief judge of the Seoul Eastern District Court. Small wonder that the cases are so realistic and the characters of Ba Reun and Oh Reum are complementing each other so beautifully. L and Ara are doing remarkably well. 

I quit Kdramaland for a while, but this Miss Hammurabi is SOOOO good. Some background information and some thoughts on the novel/drama:

1. The drama is based on a novel with the same name, written by an incumbent judge of South Korea, Moon Yoo-suk, who held an undergraduate degree from Seoul University and a law degree from Harvard Law School. The script of the drama is also adapted by Moon himself. The novel receives critical acclaim from critics, and quoted frequently by high-profiled intellectuals. For instance, Sohn Suk-hee of JTBC Newsroom brought up Moon and his writings (he has another famous book which Ba Reun read) several times to criticize the problems in SK juridicial system.

2. The novel consists of "real" cases Moon has encountered. The "characters" are fictional though, with obvious elements of exaggeration and dramatization. The eponymous heroine, wearing high heels and short skirt to work all the time, is NOT supposed to be treated as a conventional novelistic "character" with an obvious character arc. Her name, Park Cha Oh Reum, is a word play on "correctness" (Ba Reum) and "brimming with emotion" (벅차오름 , Park Cha Oh Reum).  The female lead represents an archetypal force as a contrast to Ba Reun (the homonym of "righteousness"). The trio of department 44  is meant to embody the tension between passion (Oh Reum), principle ( Ba Reun) and worldly wisdom (Judge Han), which each judge needs to confront with in trial. That is to say, this drama has a very different premise, demanding a different way a of viewing.  Characters are only the driving force to show different perspectives of a case.  Specifically, this drama deals with civil cases, NOT criminal cases like in most of the TV shows. TV shows depicting criminal cases can easily appeal to audience with their dramatic contents, but civil cases are rooted in everyday mundane life. Therefore, "perspective" becomes the key and the function of the character is to bring up each perspective. This is why the drama begins with the famous quote from Harper Lee's "To Kill a Mockingbird" : "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."

3. What truly impresses me with this drama is the way the scriptwriter navigates from individual "characters" to cases, upbringings, and to fundamental, underlying issues in South Korean culture, like sexism, classism, labor exploitation, and social hierarchy and power abuse. Everything is woven seamlessly, especially in episode 3 and episode 4. Episode 3 is probably the most spot-on portrayal of sexual harassment, with a hands-on lesson TO MEN on what sexual harassment feels like. And the ending of episode 3 is simply DAEBAK, which brings the entire drama to an altogether different level. The writer is telling us: The law can only protect women this much. Sexual offenses happen on the daily basis, even to a woman who is physically strong and fit. What needs to be changed is the patriarchy and the overall sexist culture of SK. Because of this scene, the drama becomes a trending topic among feminist activists in SK.

On a side note, Judge Moon condemned vehemently the complicit structure  among the judges and attorneys when JTBC NEWSROOM exposed a female attorney being sexual harassed in public, during a funeral in fact, while her male colleagues just pretended not to see. Judge Moon advocates #Me First, meaning that all we need is one person who has the moral courage to call out the perpetrator on the spot. He says, he will be that person, that "first" person, to punish the perpetrator. 

4. Regretfully, there isn't much "love line" in the original novel. I appreciate how Moon actually caters to the taste of Kdrama audience by adding some cute couple scenes. I wouldn't say that Go Ara and L are great actors (not yet--they definitely have potential), but I do think that they are perfect fit for their roles respectively. They have done a good job, combining with all other actors/actresses by bringing the focus on social reality. Contrary to the view outside Korea, Korean audience actually doesn't find Go Ara's acting OTT. Instead, they want her to exaggerate her emotions EVEN MORE. The reason is painfully simple:  "because this kind of person (Go Ara's character) doesn't exist in real life, please go even overboard with your actions and emotions. It is precisely because we don't have such a person in reality that our society never makes any progress."

I was so struck and saddened when reading this comment under naver.  I also applaud the courage of the entire cast for taking such an important and meaningful project, considering feminism is even considered "controversial" in SK.

I am so looking forward to Monday now. 

[SPOILERS!!!]  Episode 4

Spoiler

0000859883_001_20180530001218670.jpg

Screen%2BShot%2B2018-06-01%2Bat%2B1.17.32%2BPM.png
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-06-01%2Bat%2B1.17.26%2BPM.png

1. [+1908, -13] I seriously lost words at the excuse for his devotion to success... It makes me cry because it's worse than that in reality. I hope that things change, even if it's just a bit, through this drama.. 

2. [+1535, -4] Another message in today's episode is that there isn't one person in this world who doesn't feel a sense of inferiority..... (t/n: the person then wrote a long analysis of Im Ba Reun's character about how he was always successful at school and people assume that he doesn't know how it feels to be inferior but in reality, he rides a bike to work because he doesn't have money to buy a car and he worries about rent. And when the taxi driver asked him if his bike was a wheelchair, he just said it was without correcting him and that his character is sensitive about the topic of money and what not)

3. [+1061, -11] It's not a very close law drama but, it's a very close look at Korea

4. [+394, -4] When Im Ba Reun stepped up at the end, he's reliable....Please give us a refreshing conclusion next week! How can I wait until next week ㅜㅜ

5. [+299, -1] When Sung Dong Il yelled, it was really refreshing!!! "So did you go check up on your associate judge~!!! Huh? Did you go?"

201805300945055116674_20180530094555_01_20180530094713163.jpg
Screen%2BShot%2B2018-05-30%2Bat%2B11.24.55%2BPM.png
Original Source (Herald POP via Naver): 'Miss Hammurabi' Kim Myung Soo explodes with potential as an actor...'The person who causes heart attacks'

1. [+439, -11] First of all, at the beginning - I like how they handled topics like sexism, sexual harassment, group relationships and the relationship between superiors and subordinates in depth. Personally, I wish many people would watch this drama because it really does a good job at handling what is wrong and what is alright and other confusing topics.

2. [+250, -38] His face chemistry with Go Ara is insanse ㅋㅋ his acting really improved.

3. [+140, -2] Wow.. because he keeps acting his acting skills is improving...it's amazing *clap, clap, clap*

4. [+132, -6] So acting skills can improve, I was surprised - after 'Master's Sun', his acting was still bad so I was wondering if it was that L who can't act - he had talent in acting too *clap, clap, clap*    

cr

Archived