[Drama 2018] Miss Hammurabi, 미스 함무라비

0ly40

@jl08 nooo lol i meant to replay that part of the vid to catch the background song hahaha :D my beginner tennis skill is definitely way better than my piano Do Re Mi !! but bad news.. my soundhound doesnt work lol i also tried to type in most of the lyrics but google gave me nonsense :crazy: the singer’s voice seemed v familar though..

as for the drama, i would think oh reum might have undergone some trauma (the piano teacher??) and lost bits of the memories.. usually people shut out the clusters of bad things and hide them deep behind the mind.. but one thing for sure, her unwell mom is still very intrigued with piano and music, she was totally not interested when oh reum showed her the new employee badge..

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello everyone :)

I started watching this because of Sung Dong-il actually :D

I’m wondering if something happened to OR’s family - specifically her dad... maybe something happened to his business and he was wrongly judged... therefore, OR’s family lost all money and maybe that is why she had no choice but to drop her piano degree, and decided to become a compassionate judge...?

It looks like her mom probably has early Alzheimer’s/dementia and that’s why she’s in a nursing home and would only remember the distant past and not of recent happenings. Alzheimer’s/dementia can be triggered by traumatic sudden events - my grandpa actually had it and it was triggered by just grandma’s sudden death... and he would only remember stuff from AGES ago and nothing else... he wouldn’t remember any of his kids nor grandkids of course. It’s like his timeline was reversed and he acted like a kid more times than not... and then once in a blue moon, he would have moments where he seemed like “normal”. I often felt like it was because he didn’t want to face the reality of my grandma’s death, subconsciously. Anyways, her mom reminds me of how my grandpa was. So I wonder if her early Alzheimer’s/dementia was triggered by whatever tragic event that happened to the family.

Assuming OR is an only child, I guess she would have had no choice but to grow up and fight for herself and her mom. Hence, the change in her personality. She probably suffered quite a bit not only with her family stuff, but also having to go from an artistic, dreamy child who grew up in the greenhouse protected by her parents whose only interest was piano and reading... to someone who needs to be more rational and hardworking in order to “save” her family. This would make her stronger in the process but also compassionate with what’s happening out in the world... hence, her new personality...?

Just my two cents hehehe ^_^

By the way - do you think that’s her real grandma? Since grandma mentioned she’s been in the market for a long time... and yet, OR was wealthy as a kid. But if indeed so, paternal or maternal? What about the market aunties?

PS - the comical court room scenes remind me of Night Court!!!... wait did I just expose my age hahahaha... is anyone as old and as American as I am around here to know what Night Court is?? :lol:

I googled about the SK judiciary system to get a better understand about this drama background.

As many wonder why the judges are so young in this drama, it s very possible in SK that one can become a judge around mid-20s.

Up to 2017, there are two ways to become a judge in SK.

The old system ( up to 2017)

Get LLB (this is BR’s case) then take Korean Bar Association's National Judicial Examination

But LLB isn't required for the Bar exam. So people can get undergrad degree in whatever major one wants ( OR’s major was music) or even without undergrad degree. But they can enrol in bar preparation classes/ or self-study for the exam.

Those who pass the bar examination (which has a pass rate of less than 5%) must study for an additional two-year training course at Korea’s Judicial Research and Training Institute and pass a final exam before they are admitted to practise.

The top 1% of those who pass the final exam would be appointed as judges (with opt out option to become prosecutors or lawyers). Top 3% would be prosecutors (with opt-out to be lawyers). The rest would become lawyers.

The new system (since 2009)

Get undergrad degree, then JD. After that one need to take Lawyer Admission Test (which is distinct from the Korean Bar Examination); once they pass this exam, they are eligible to practise law in Korea.

After at least 3 years practicing law, a lawyer can apply for Korean Bar Examination to become prosecutors or judges.

From the drama, OR and BR, follow the old system.

In BR’s case, 4 years LLB (+ 2 military duty )+ 2 year training, he can become a judge at 26 or 28.

In OR’s case, she is self-taught and with her mysterious family background, she may pass the Bar year(s) after BR, so he is her senior although they are the same age.

About the courtrooms and the role of judges:

Koreans' preference for mediation comes in part from their Confucian heritage. Using lawsuits to solve problems was extremely undesirable, and this attitude was reinforced by negative features of Korea's traditional legal system. Trials were slow and expensive, and in the case of criminal trials where torture was legal, even physically dangerous. For both moral and practical reasons, mediation was the best way to settle disputes.

In mediation a third person (the mediator) helps resolve a dispute without authority to impose a decision; disputing parties are free to ignore or reject the mediator's suggestions. In Western lawsuits the disputing parties surrender their right to decide, and only the judge or jury hands down a decision. In Korean lawsuits the judge in a formal court, as powerful and active in the courtroom as our own, mediates more than he judges.

Often a Korean trial does not result in a verdict. Actually, the courtroom in Korea is less a setting for lawsuits than a forum where people air grievances before an objective third person. The judge, really a mediator, helps them reach an amicable solution. Korean legal practice emphasizes discovering the facts in the case rather than hearing competitive arguments. Most Koreans represent themselves and do not hire a lawyer in civil lawsuits. Lawyers, when they are present, play a secondary role and help their clients through the bureaucratic maze.

===============================

I like the drama so far, and the actings are good. All characters are very relatable.

Some people complain about Go Ara’s looking fat in the drama, but it suits her character, an idealist but  average looking judge. OR can be annoyed at time, but she learns from her mistakes. Regarding the change in her personality, it’s possible. People change. And the past OR is BR’s interpretation. We have not seen the past OR from her pov.

BR is an introvert, he is shy and cynical but not arrogant. He is a bookworm, a legal genius but terrible in sport, his tennis skill tells it all.

The story is very charming, you can start the ep laughing and end up crying at the end.

I m happy for the casts, esp L and GA. Not only they get a good script to showcase their actings and what they are capable of but also work with a real judge. It’s not easy to have a real judge would write the script.

@jl08 I'm dying to know this song's name too! It's so beautiful and I agree with you that it matches the scene perfectly.

I rewatched it a few times already too, this scene's photography is amazing, with the rain and all. :wub:

@sadthe1st I tried to find the song by the lyrics too but found nothing as well :( 

the singer's voice does ring a bell, but I can't put my finger on it. I feel like I know that voice from famous songs but just can't remember which, this is so frustrating. :unsure:

The soundtrack of this drama is great. I just love when the songs match with the whole drama, it adds something special to it. 

8 hours ago, dramamania said:

I found it the OST title guys!

Umb5 (Feat. Hodge) - Someday, Somehow

OMG!

You're so awesome, chingu!!  *Hugs*!  :)

I LOVE this song and you know what? Lol...I actually put my hp to shazam it when my laptop was playing and it says "No Results" and I felt like tearing my hair out! hehe....

I tried typing the lyrics too but nothing came out. I felt the singer is kinda familiar too.

This scene is so sad right? I feel the pain for O Reum...and they both nailed the students' roles so well! It's like a sad love story and the lyrics is close to a break up which is relevant at that point of their lives....till they met again.

Seriously, thank God they met again!! :D

Btw, thanks for all your views on O Reum's possible past events which might have led her to what she is and who she is today. It's so interesting to read all your post! :)

@dramamania thanks for the url!! :wub:

i never thought that it could have been listed a korean song since the whole time it was in english hahaha :tongue: i went to the naver blog and did a google translation.. the singer profile is here:

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostList.nhn?blogId=hahsheesh and hopefully, we can find the mp3 file soon haha

15 minutes into the show and i think i'm already in love with both l's and go ara's character. never thought that l + funny would go well together, but he is pulling it off quite well. go ara has always been good at comedy and slice of life-ish drama and it's showing here. her antics at the subway is just plain hilarious! hope the writer keeps her character thus way and not make her cry buckets and buckets of tears since that's one of her weakest points as an actress.

@joyue_1

Hi! Your theory is interesting!

I'm not sure if the grandma is O Reum's real grandma. It could also be that something tragic happened in the family plus her own traumatic possibly molest experience, O Reum could have gone from rich to poor and from sane to suffering from trauma all at once, especially if she had also witnessed her mum losing her sanity due to the situation. It could have taken its toll on O Reum and as her mum could no longer be with her and had to be put in a nursing home, perhaps they had to get someone to take care of O Reum since she might not be able to take care of herself then.

The 'grandma' could be the one tasked to take care of her while she recovers? And she probably had selective recollection as a means of escaping from the trauma? 

I really want to know her past badly! Her change is so palpable!

Perhaps also due to her own painful experience, she vowed to 'change the world' like she wanted to prove to her boss that women are not to be blamed for wearing short skirts; that men are the ones guilty. That she wanted to protect the innocent so badly due to her own past. People think that she's rash but don't forget that she had undergone pain in the past.

Loving this beautiful and meaningful drama! I almost got knocked out by L's charming dimple! :)

p/s: Imo, Go Ara is a truly talented actress and she could do all scenes beautifully, including her crying scenes which make one feel the emotional pain that she's scripted to go through, with the director by her side, giving instructions how he wants the scenes to be done exactly.:) 

20 hours ago, star2010 said:

Some people complain about Go Ara’s looking fat in the drama, but it suits her character, an idealist but  average looking judge.

I can't believe some people think Go Ara looks fat in the drama. She seriously looks under 120lbs. And she's tall, if I'm not mistaken. SMH.

14 minutes ago, allythefangirl said:

I can't believe some people think Go Ara looks fat in the drama. She seriously looks under 120lbs. And she's tall, if I'm not mistaken. SMH.

she's around 5'7" and weighs less than 50 kg if i'm not mistaken. the camera usually makes a person look about 10 lbs heavier. she did look like she gained a few pounds, but to be honest, i like it that she did. she looks healthier now.

1 minute ago, jjoy84 said:

she's around 5'7" and weighs less than 50 kg if i'm not mistaken. the camera usually makes a person look about 10 lbs heavier. she did look like she gained a few pounds, but to be honest, i like it that she did. she looks healthier now.

It looks like a healthy weight for her. And she can act. It doesn't matter if an actress is skinny if she can't act, right? LOL!

Thanks so much for the song, i was looking for it. I hope the production team would release the

OST soon. (By the way, this is the same production company that produced DOTS; and MH is their 2nd drama.)

Regarding GA’s weight, it’s similar to the situation in the drama. It is women’s fault to wear short skirt and not men. It’s actresses/actors’ fault for not being skinny and not the viewers. There are so many misogynies in the society. At least, we are confronting them now.

OR’s past is a mystery; but we are waiting to see how BR discovers her past for us.

She may experience injustice at the court in the past. However instead of thinking about revenge for those who put her in hard circumstance, OR tries her best to look things in the good  ways and makes sure her experience will not happen to other innocent people. She can be naive and emotional in dealing with cases, but she looks for the good in humanity. It’s a good quality to have. She may not be able to clean up the whole system, but at least she helps those she can. When she makes mistakes, OR is not hesitate to apologize. She respects others equally as fellow human beings and colleagues and not based on their social status. She would talk back to her superior if she thinks he is wrong; but she can also say sorry to the clerks when she unintentionally treat them badly.

BR is such a sweetheart. I like him so much. He is so much like my friend, who is very smart but also cynical about life and current society and political culture. BR’s cynicism about life makes him look arrogant and unapproachable. Yet behind his cold appearance, BR is a marshmallow. It’s so sweet that he still remembers OR after 12 years, 9 months and 10 days. He is a pragmatist, she is an idealist. Together they will help each other to balance their shortcomings, as well as learn from one another to be better judges and persons.

HSS is also a good character. Unlike other dramas where the mentors are usually portrayed as perfect teachers, HSS has both good and bad qualities. He may have a lot of experiences, but it does not mean that he is omniscient. He can teach OR what she did wrong by calling one of the plaintiffs; yet he can also acknowledge to himself (at least) that after 20 years, he still does not master the art of listening.  

The case in ep 2 is also very touching. It’s not dramatic with a big evil doer or a big revelation. It’s a common case which can happen everyday. There are no bad persons in this case. It is the stress of family, work and business that makes people act in certain ways, willfully close their eyes to protect themselves. SK civil court is not a place where judges give out verdicts but a forum where judges help citizen to meditate differences. And this case really demonstrates it. It’s not $$$ settlement, but a simple and sincere apology to resolve the case.

Boy Loving this drama after the first two episodes looking forward how she change some of the backwards thinking of what a judge should be and dress like.. In one drama I have a lawyer with a serious right hook and in this one a judge that shoots off at the mouth like a pistol.. Just love it:D

@star2010

I totally love your analysis of the 3 judges! It's so interesting to read your post. :)

I totally love both episodes and it's so difficult to hang on for the next episodes and I think I overworked my laptop repeating both episodes over and over, looking at their live ig, watching L and Ara in Baeksang awards again .... and listening to the English song and OST 1 over  and over while admiring our OTP's beautiful visual!

Can Mondaysand Tuesdays come faster please? Lol....

Sorry guys, I haven't been able to participate in the discussion much. I have had so many exams and papers to write recenty. Finally I have watched 2 whole episodes with subtitles :D 

@bebebisous33 chingu, it's really good to see you around and read your posts again! :D 

@Lmangla Great event chingu! :D  I will definitely  support chingus who post there :D 

I like all characters in the drama. I really appreciate that Miss Hammurabi is not only focused on judges but we  also get to see   struggles of civil clerks, guards etc. Their work is as important as judge's work. 

Park Cha O Reum is a rookie judge. It's undertandable that she is not aware of many things yet. Ba Reun is her mentor and I can see that he will help her with things she is lacking. As one of O Reum's aunts said, "Everybody makes mistaks". And in my opinion they are not making her look incompetent. They are helping her to grow both as a human being and as a judge.  What's most important she learns from her mistakes and that's what we have to admire.  As Ba Reun said "While wearing a judge's robe, you should erase all facial expressions. But you shouldn't erase all your emotions". O Reum has to work on her judge's presence but it's really great that she puts her heart in what she does. And she is not afraid to talk back to presiding judge Han when she thinks she is right. They are a team. And in a team their opinions should be considered equal. 

I really like the way Ba Reun takes care of O Reum. She told him that she wasn't a child who needs protection. But she is his colleague. Their work in one team. On top of that he feels responsible for her because he is her mentor. He is with her no mater what. It's really good to see them talking about everything. Her grandmother said that they could only go far when they were together.  I think it applies not only to judges but also to civil clerks and other people working in the court.  It was really great to see O Reum  being so nice to civil clerks. The whole match scene was really heartwarming. 

As for judge Han. He is stubborn and has a strong personality. Just like O Reum. But he said himself that he likes her. He even praised her for her good work. 

O Reum and Ba Reun's interactions make me smile :) They are clearly interested in each other. It's so nice to watch.

And I also love judge Bo Wang, Ba Reun's friend. He is so energetic. At the beginning I thought that he will be a typical jerk but I like him a lot. I am looking forward to see more of him. And Do Yeon. She is a mystery for now but I think we will get to know her more. There is a picture of her and probably her father on her desk. It came to my mind that maybe he is ill. I don't now why really haha

I really like little moments in Miss Hammurabi. Like when O Reum was talking about skirt's lenght and Do Yeon heard it. She smiled. I can see these two being friends soon :) It's great that they are also exploring things connected to the feminism and current situation of women. The message is important. In Monday's episode they will probably deal with sexual harassment. 

Archived