[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Ming Dynasty 大明風華

sugarplum892

10 hours ago, Le_Amarant said:

Don't hold your breath. In an interview, Tang Wei said that the only person her character RW loved was her first love, not Zhangji, so yeah...

With Xubin only? Really? It's funny that all the eng descriptions I've seen states he has unrequited love for Rouwei

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Takingthehighroad said:

The majority of the comments I have read are on YouTube in the comment section, as well as the following:

https://entertainment.toggle.sg/en/entertainment/asianbuzz/article/tang-wei-criticised-for-poor-acting-in-comeback-drama-12220340

And then, of course, this from a former co-star:

https://supchina.com/2019/12/11/backlash-after-shaming-tang-wei-for-her-frequent-bathroom-visits/

Tang Wei is portraying her character on point:  reserved around those she doesn't quite trust. She is a product of her environment - boyish, having been raised around males & trained as an assassin. She is honest to a fault, unlike her sister; not accustomed to palace mannerisms, she can only feel overwhelmed & betrayed. Everything she's been taught, now in the span of only a few days/weeks is unraveling. We're only 20 or so episodes in so I am looking forward to her transformation & falling in love. She is most herself around the Emperor - they seem a lot alike.  

16 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Oh ok, yeah I tend to take YouTube comments with a grain of salt. But omg the costar comment! He's so rude!! 

Agree completely. I think Zhou Xun faced criticism in Ruyi for playing a 16 year old when she was 40. Tang Wei was 38 when she filmed this, but she looks amazing and her mannerism is appropriately youthful. She looks so regal as the empress in the first ep as well, I can't wait for those scenes. And when will she realize that the one she loves is Zhanji??? When can we get lovey dovey scenes or at least a confession from her? I don't think he'd completely ignore the younger sister (in the trailer looks like she was pregnant) but I hope she learns soon that he only cares about Ruowei!

Joe Chen playing as 16 year old in Queen DuGu, Zhou Xun in Ruyi and Tang Wei for this drama? Seriously? Why can’t they gonna pick on ages? They don’t pick on the actors but always the actress. Shame on them! But I do agree that Tang Wei is a little awkward but it’s not terrible. She can’t still managed her character well...and like someone said it’s still a long way to go for her young character to mature. 

I think it's probably easier to assess Zhu Yawen's acting (he's REALLY good, I want to add my voice to the chorus) because his character has a lot more varied things to do so far and you get to see all the facets of his acting and the character. I don't really see how Tang Wei is doing a poor job, though - her character has a lot of nuance that I really enjoy and I think you've seen her character evolve and express herself in many ways, all of which are portrayed well. I really love her voice and I especially love the way she holds herself in her body language and her eyes (her EYES!).

5 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

Don't hold your breath. In an interview, Tang Wei said that the only person her character RW loved was her first love, not Zhangji, so yeah...

Maybe it’s more of a family love? I think she does love her husband but maybe not in a way that she has for Xui Bin.....gotta watch the rest of the episode to see the marriage relationship between them. 

35 minutes ago, believed said:

I think it's probably easier to assess Zhu Yawen's acting (he's REALLY good, I want to add my voice to the chorus) because his character has a lot more varied things to do so far and you get to see all the facets of his acting and the character. I don't really see how Tang Wei is doing a poor job, though - her character has a lot of nuance that I really enjoy and I think you've seen her character evolve and express herself in many ways, all of which are portrayed well. I really love her voice and I especially love the way she holds herself in her body language and her eyes (her EYES!).

Yeah! She moves in a very crude, boyish way, and if you've seen her in other movies, that's not how she moves when she played the other characters (mostly in modern times)! It fits with the background of her character. And agree, her eyes! I think she has her own way of being expressive that drama viewers might not be used to. Dramas have a lot more close-ups than movies, and lots of dialogues instead of silence, so I think viewers might be expecting her to act in a more drama way :/

Drama acting is more theatrical (ala Shakespearean). When it comes to historical Chinese dramas, especially court ones, it's more of a "serious actors" playing field due to the dialogue than modern dramas, which use alot of idol actors. Tang Wei doesn't have enough training in this area. Her wooden expressions and stilted enunciation is getting frustrating, especially when her counterparts are so charismatic.

I do feel like in Ruyi the actress looked a bit old and awkward to play a teen in that drama - I blame it mostly on the makeup and costume. Tang Wei and Joe Chen both looked fine tho.

I have only seen Tang Wei in one movie before (Finding Mr. Right) but she's the reason I started watching the series. However, the other cast are shining a lot more than her. Might just be the character herself is quite boring compared to the others at the moment.

@Takingthehighroad thank you for sharing the articles about Tang Wei. I really felt for her when Lei Jiayin kept picking on her about going to the bathroom a lot. Urinary incontinence is a serious issue for mothers and like many issues pertaining to motherhood, are largely overlooked and not taken seriously. 

I'm very much enjoying Deng Jiajia's Manyin character. How she grew up, and what she's experienced in the most recent episodes, make a very strong case for her ambitions. It's very telling that she thinks Zhu Zhanji is the best man to marry in her worldview because she's never been "outside". 

The emperor is very charismatic, but I feel that it's true that he's not a very good grandfather. I think it's because he's been trying to raise an emperor, a future potential successor, and then balancing the power being held by his other sons who might also want to be emperors. So...it's gotta be hard trying to be both an emperor and a parental figure. :mellow:

I feel that Sun Ruowei in the latest episodes is resigning herself to her fate. I kind of understand her though. Even if a powerful guy is good to me, I shouldn't be obligated to like him back, right? Moreover, is it my responsibility to sacrifice myself for the greater good? Apparently, yes, here. I think in the beginning, SRW was ready to die for the cause but once she was faced with the reality of having to spend her life with someone she didn't love, and in a place that was basically a large prison, a free spirit like her seems to be slowly withering. 

All that being said, what's so great about that Xu Bin? lol. Zhu Zhanji is clearly the swoonier dude between the two men. 

1 hour ago, Kilawolf said:

I have only seen Tang Wei in one movie before (Finding Mr. Right) but she's the reason I started watching the series. However, the other cast are shining a lot more than her. Might just be the character herself is quite boring compared to the others at the moment.

49 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

I'm very much enjoying Deng Jiajia's Manyin character. How she grew up, and what she's experienced in the most recent episodes, make a very strong case for her ambitions. It's very telling that she thinks Zhu Zhanji is the best man to marry in her worldview because she's never been "outside". 

I feel that Sun Ruowei in the latest episodes is resigning herself to her fate. I kind of understand her though. Even if a powerful guy is good to me, I shouldn't be obligated to like him back, right? Moreover, is it my responsibility to sacrifice myself for the greater good? Apparently, yes, here. I think in the beginning, SRW was ready to die for the cause but once she was faced with the reality of having to spend her life with someone she didn't love, and in a place that was basically a large prison, a free spirit like her seems to be slowly withering. 

All that being said, what's so great about that Xu Bin? lol. Zhu Zhanji is clearly the swoonier dude between the two men. 

@crackaddictThank you for the reminder about the issues that new moms/moms have! I feel that especially in societies where the moms are supposed to do everything, men probably are more insensitive to this kind of issue. Good thing he received criticism for his insensitivity!!

I agree with you both @Kilawolf & @crackaddict: the issue is two-fold - Ruowei's character has less to do after the initial arc, and is now resigned to her fate, is being controlled by others with less agency. Manyin/Shanxiang on the other hand has a really interesting character arc, fighting back against her lack of agency (and suffering consequences in the process). In most dramas, the villainous characters always have more to do and interesting expressions to portray. I hope that Ruowei can experience more growth in the future! 

Ruowei was very lively and interesting in the first 10 eps though! I think she lost her sparks after the recent tragedies. I loved their bickering and dynamic romance (between a yandere and a tsundere, one likes to make his girl suffer, the other refuses to show him any affection LOL). And agree with you, I think they might have cut out too many scenes between Xu Bin and Ruowei, I have no idea where that romance came from and Xu Bin isn't that great either. Zhanji at least tried, and failed, to set her free, whereas Xu Bin is always "you gotta work for the greater good" blah blah. 

On a side note, I think they cut out  A LOT of scenes. Example: this behind-the-scenes clip wasn't in ep 13 at all!

I'm still prejudice against the little sister. Though her life was hard also, having lost her family & being raised by a strict, unemotional "mother," her actions in the latest episodes have definitely put her on my "do not like" list. She has bit off more than she can chew - the 2nd prince. He will not let her off; like he said, he might be kneeling in front of her one day. And her telling her sister, that outside that room they are "not" sisters & do not know one another. 

I'm wondering if the drama will hold to history. If not, what will happen when others find out that she, too, is one of the orphans. I know Sun Ruowei  has a deeper relationship with both her husband & the Emperor; she, in fact, is deeply admired by both. But her little sister - she has shown that she will do anything to rise to the top (as evident with her maid-friend & her liaison w/the evil 2nd brother). 

Spoiler

And the scene where the the grandson threw himself at his grandfather's feet...what marvelous acting!

23 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

Zhu Yawen is acting his socks off as Zhanji. By far the most compelling romantic male lead I've seen in a C-drama in a while. I'm surprised bc he wasn't this good in Red Sorghum opposite Zhou Xun.

wasn't he criticized as being stiff in that drama? I haven't seen it but I bet if that was the case, he has improved a lot!

This is the first drama I saw with him, he's really so good, this character was made for him! Would you recommend any other drama that he was in?

The setup of the romance me of Hao Lan, but much improved, and much less pointless harem plotting. According to some spoilers, later

Spoiler

Xu Bin would come back as an advisor and saved Ruowei's son, the next emperor.

so kinda like Lu Buwei...but I much prefer the setup here where Zhanji is not as manipulative as Yiren, and Xu Bin is completely out of the picture (for now)!

Just finished the latest eps (25 & 26) and I feel like the timeline is all messed up :sweatingbullets: I guess they can't follow history too closely, and decide to jump around - if someone can clarify that would be great! So they moved the capital to Beijing during Yongle 19th year, and our leads got married; but our story started in 1402 during the Jingnan campaign, which was when Ruowei was supposed to be 8 years old, then 10 years passed - and the Yongle era started in 1403, so it was supposed to be, when Ruowei and Zhanji met, Yongle 10th year. Even if all the events that transpired so far last 2-3 years, it would still be Yongle 14th year at most...Anyway! They could have just said 15 years have passed instead of 10!

Other than that, Ruowei is still very reserved towards Zhanji, and he's still very caring. Good thing this drama is released daily, otherwise I'd go crazy waiting for her to show him some affection!

39 minutes ago, insertusernamehere said:

wasn't he criticized as being stiff in that drama? I haven't seen it but I bet if that was the case, he has improved a lot!

This is the first drama I saw with him, he's really so good, this character was made for him! Would you recommend any other drama that he was in?

He acted really OTT and boorish in Red Sorghum, to the point where I was cringing. I haven't watched any of his other dramas.

I think they're cutting important scenes out. I don't get the time jump between the wedding ceremony to RW helping ZJ dress. There was supposed to be a bed scene in between there.

Cdramas are NOTORIOUS for terrible cuts.

51 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

He acted really OTT and boorish in Red Sorghum, to the point where I was cringing. I haven't watched any of his other dramas.

I think they're cutting important scenes out. I don't get the time jump between the wedding ceremony to RW helping ZJ dress. There was supposed to be a bed scene in between there.

Cdramas are NOTORIOUS for terrible cuts.

Yeah! I wanted to see how conflicted Ruowei was when they had their first night. There was this scene from the trailer, I wonder if that was the supposed bed scene that was cut?? (@0:35)

that trailer is super serious! I always thought there was a slight disconnect between how the drama is presented in trailers (very serious) and then the actual show itself (family drama but with dark sinister undertones). as that is, im watching for our entertainment. as soon as i realized that two sisters would be different empresses, i decided historical accuracy prob wasn't what the show is shooting for lol oh yes, and as others mentioned...the messy hair. good lord these ancient royal men with messy hair...im a grad student and don't leave my home with messy hair...

my fave character in the show is actually the Crown Prince. He's super adorable, kind, and wise. I think he has an idea of how sinister his brothers are but he just really wants to give them the benefit of the doubt. honestly, after a string national political upheavals, i feel the kingdom could benefit from a monarch that's good at developing the nation versus conquering neighbors and policing it's borders (Hi, USA. lol. sorry, couldn't help myself).  

I am enjoying the show so far. Zhu Yawen has gained a new fan. I like Tang Wei also, and I enjoy how “different” her character is. I see Ruo Wei as an outsider in the world that she is in. It is as if she never intended to be there but somehow got pulled in. I hope we get to see her flourish while still being herself, which is the reason while Zhan Ji fell in love with her in the first place. Hope to see more viewers for this show. 

4 hours ago, insertusernamehere said:

If you're in Asia, dimsum.my is a legal subscription service that is subbing and streaming the show! Their sub is super accurate as well (I saw screenshots on twitter of those who use it). Why can't the company that's streaming it on youtube provide the same sub quality :bawling: 

I want good quality eng subs!! Hopefully a kind soul will correct the google English translation. Anyone know a site that is accessible to all country especially USA, PM me:blush:

Archived