[Current Mainland Chinese Drama 2019] Ming Dynasty 大明風華

sugarplum892

1 hour ago, Le_Amarant said:

Lololol. Okay fair. But his intelligence is decreasing? I don't get how he doesn't suspect Hu at all! I know I sound like a broken record, but can't get over this.

Oh, I agree with you about the sister and the black holes that the show's logic always falls into concerning her. I too am not sure why nobody is vigilant around her. For RW, well that's her sister...uhmhmmm...maybe I can overlook that. RW seems like she'd be willing to endure a lot of things for ppl she loves (look at that Nie Xing guy). ZZJ is more of wary his uncles (fair) than his primary wife... but ur right to wonder why he never questioned her loyalty? Is that just something that ancient men didn't do? Suspect their wives? It seems unwise when you're a member of a royal family that plots against each other :crazy:.

I'm not sure if ZZJ is decreasing in intelligence or if his oversight is a product of patriarchy and men's belief in their superiority and importance in womens' lives. It may very well be all of the above + some bad writing :rolleyes:

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/3/2020 at 3:45 PM, Le_Amarant said:

I'm super curious about this scene at the end of the official trailer: 

I feel like it's a dream-scene that might come at the end of the series. Who is with RX on the boat? That might answer the question of who the OTP of this series actually is.

Alright, so based on the latest episode, the chances that RX is on the boat with XB just exponentially increased.

Spoiler

This is my first time posting; however,  I can't take this anymore. Why? Our ML was not playing along with the baby sister and setting a trap, he slept with her. What I saw, was not because of duty. Ugh! For someone who said he did not like vixens, he was happily seduced by the vixen baby sister and enjoyed the seduction. In my opinion, he looks at the baby sister with passion and Ruo Wei as a promise he made. What happened  to the passion he felt for her when he told his grandfather that everytime he saw her, it was like being shoot with an arrow. I absolutely do not like the direction this is going. They seem more like friends than a loving couple. Ughhh!!!

23 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

Alright, so based on the latest episode, the chances that RX is on the boat with XB just exponentially increased.

I hope is XB too. Did you see the scene of him going to say goodbye to her? They still love each other . So sad 

18 minutes ago, Gab83 said:
  Hide contents

This is my first time posting; however,  I can't take this anymore. Why? Our ML was not playing along with the baby sister and setting a trap, he slept with her. What I saw, was not because of duty. Ugh! For someone who said he did not like vixens, he was happily seduced by the vixen baby sister and enjoyed the seduction. In my opinion, he looks at the baby sister with passion and Ruo Wei as a promise he made. What happened  to the passion he felt for her when he told his grandfather that everytime he saw her, it was like being shoot with an arrow. I absolutely do not like the direction this is going. They seem more like friends than a loving couple. Ughhh!!!

Yes the relationship between ZJ and RW have really slowly disappeared. He was seeking for her real love when he took her into the palace now ... all changed 

I haven't caught up with ep 39, but I'm halfway through 38 and here are a few rants:

Spoiler

When ZJ caught SX with the box (that carried the man she was supposed to sleep with to get pregnant again), where was RW? In the scene immediately before that scene, RW was there. Such weird editing!!

Ok so contrary to what people thought, ZJ really did suspect SX, which is good. But based on the above comments, seems like it doesn't matter any more? Or maybe he's playing the long game???

I have had this nagging feeling for many episodes now, but RW still looks like she's faking it the whole time. We went from her being excessively polite and distant to ZJ (to the point where he said "we were closer when we were enemies" and "if you don't talk with me today, I'll wait till tomorrow; if not this year, I'll wait till next year"). But the writer seems to give up on that thread, except for that one scene where he asked her "would you cry for me if I died" and she couldn't answer. All this points me to the theory that she's just enduring, which is super sad, but it would have made much more sense if we learned more about her. She's one of the main characters yet we know so little about how she thinks! Deng JiaJia (Shanxiang) is stealing the show because we always know what she thinks (lol maybe more than we need). I feel indignant for Tang Wei honestly!

1 hour ago, Gab83 said:
  Hide contents

Ok I'm caught up and have to disagree with this. RW and ZJ actually talked a lot and they always seemed to be on the same wavelength (e.g. how she said "wow Da Ming is so small, if we call Da Ming the world then we're really frogs in a well", And he said that's the smartest thing you said since I met you (lol); she knew his ambition.) I actually like their dynamic: I think the best couple are best friends and equals. That said, what's with that tearful goodbye scene between RW and XB?? I wouldve boarded that ship if they built it properly, but no! Sigh. I understand why RW might not be in love with ZJ: after all, she didn't choose to be in the palace. She had to. I also think he's a bit too ambitious and too complicated for her.

Wrt to Shanxiang, well lols yeah it was definitely hate-sex. I don't think he was seduced in any way. It might also be telling that he went to her after telling RW to see XB off. He might need to see a woman who's throwing herself at him after knowing that the woman he loves went to see the guy she loves. In an interview with Zhu Yawen (it was translated into Vietnamese so I can't post it here), he said his character spent half his time doing politics, the other half worrying about whether the woman he loves loves him or not :( I can definitely see that here.

If only we had more visibility into what RW thinks...

@insertusernamehere 

The issue is a combination of sequencing and lack of insight into RW's thoughts that's making viewers confused and conjecturing. Also, RW's character did a 180 after the wedding. She used to be feisty and brash, and now she's complacent and acts like a doormat. She and ZJ used to clash and those clashes was what made their coupling appealing. Now she depicted as being entirely accommodating towards ZJ. Current RW has lost all her edge and become a Mary Sue.

I do think RW feels something for ZJ and that they have a relationship where ZJ trusts and wants to tell her his worries, and she cares enough to soothe his anxiety.

Agree that if it were up to RW, she wouldn't naturally choose ZJ off the bat bc he's too complicated for her. 

I don't buy the hate-sex argument bc you have to he really attracted to a person and have a high degree of complex emotions towards them to engage in hate sex. 

16 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

Also, why is the younger sister so up in arms about ZJ picking 鎮 for his and RW's son's name? I don't think it automatically means ZJ's thinking of naming RW's son as crown prince.

Someone said it means "the foundation for the world" so it heavily implied he wanted RW's child to be crown prince.

Yeah, I know the character's meaning, but I feel like the sis is reading too much into it and jumping to conclusions. You could take any character (glory; righteousness, etc.) and she'd make something out of it. I'm wondering if ZJ really thought that far ahead.

Again, if we had better writing we wouldn't be here wondering all of this. Ugh.

After the morbid changes in this drama, I believe I am now suffering from the dreaded 4F disease:  foolish, flustered, flabby, & fed-up.  RW needs to wise-up & start playing the game for her own safety. Plus, she was more or less abandoned by her own people - her future rests on her own shoulder or if she remains complacent, on her sister's. 

Gosh, why do dramas that start so wonderfully end up like this? Once we get over the brother issue, what dramatic turn will happen next?

35 minutes ago, Le_Amarant said:

Yeah, I know the character's meaning, but I feel like the sis is reading too much into it and jumping to conclusions. You could take any character (glory; righteousness, etc.) and she'd make something out of it. I'm wondering if ZJ really thought that far ahead.

Again, if we had better writing we wouldn't be here wondering all of this. Ugh.

She’s been shown to be incredibly obsessive and paranoid - it makes total sense why she would have these suspicions. 

7 hours ago, Le_Amarant said:

I wonder if the drama will end with her death and this is her crossing over to be with our ML or our main couple meeting again in death and crossing the river into the afterlife together. It reminds me of the scene when she was injured and almost dying and she was in the boat on the river heading to the afterlife but our ML kept pulling her back.

I think the relationship between RW and ZJ is all about trust, understanding and devotion. It is very slow burning. I think we are all waiting for some sort of passionate declaration from her, but it just does not seem to be in line with who she is. Also, the show seems to restrain itself from too much fan service. I think RW is someone who desires peace and comfort, she has no other ambition. Even when she is with XB, they appear as comfortable as an old married couple. It was not until she met ZJ that her life turned upside down. He is completely different from how she is and how XB is. She is as gentle as a lake, and he is as volatile as a firecracker. RW does not appear to be fickle. I think that she is truly loyal to ZJ. Her mindset is “do it or don’t, but once you start you have to follow through until the end.” I think we can see this comfort settling in her relationship with ZJ now. I take it as a sign that she does love him even if she never said it out right. ZJ sees her sincerity, even if he is not sure about her love. Only RW can soften ZJ’s sharp edges. Only she can soothe him when he is at his weakest. What can be more heartwarming? I picture her initial attraction to him as a seed. Over time, the seed grows, nurtured by his love for her, to become something so great that she never knew how it became so vital in her life in the first place. 

I think that we have not seen RW shine, but maybe this is because there is no need for this right now. ZJ loves her, XB watches over her from afar, grandfather emperor and father emperor both favor her so much. She is stuck in the inner palace all day long, but it is not a typical harem situation. Her mother-in-law is kind, and her sister has not done anything terrible to her, so far. What is there to struggle against? So far, we get to see ZJ’s struggle and rise, but not RW’s, not yet. I would think that we would see this later, but it would also mean that ZJ will have died. 

In defense of ZJ, I do not think his love has diminished. I just think he is at a different place in his life, he’s a ruler now. He takes care of the dirty work that he never wants her to be a part of. His night with HSX does not look to be loving at all. His interactions with her are like those of a business deal. That was how it started in the first place. He married her to stabilize his family’s position. He obviously favors one over the other, but he does not mistreat or neglect his wives. He tries to fulfill his duty to both, albeit with some reluctance to the unfavored one. At this point, he needs an heir so all children are welcomed. His joyful reaction to RW’s pregnancy is so pure. He is just a man in love, and his woman is having his child. I do not see this with HSX’s pregnancy. Even with the first pregnancy, he had to look at RW to see how she is. He is guarded against HSX, and I would guess that he’s playing the long game. Knowing that she will be deposed later tells me that he does not think that her son is too important. He’s saying “so what if your son is the empress’s son, he’s still not my heir.” If she thinks that she can one-up him on this, she is wrong. 

Ok, I just finished ep 39 and I think ZJ is playing the long game. Remember when it seemed like the rebels outsmarted him but he always got the last laugh? Also, the way him and the 3rd uncle were discussing matters makes me think he is suspicious of the queen. Also, that love scene was after he suggested getting rid of the Queen and telling RW about XB. Ridding the Queen is a difficult task and things are unstable enough as is. I highly doubt he has any real affection for the Queen.

Also, I get why RW probably doesn't love ZJ but the XB and RW relationship was so poorly developed that I would be so mad if that dream sequence was with those two. RW and XB have very little chemistry or cute moments together. I found the various pairings in other dramas like YanXi and MiYue MUCH more convincing. Them simply stating that they are in love and want to be together feels rather hallow to me in this context. It would be much better if she didn't have another love interest (even if that meant she loved noone romantically) than what is currently in the show.

@Pia-mia and @Kilawolf - your posts have soothed my heart in regards to ZJ. I know in the coming episodes we're going to see Hu start to turn on RW via small veiled threats. RW will then begin to see her sister in a different light.

I dread ZJ's death; it will be the test to see if the drama can carry on without his fabulous portrayal of the Xuande Emperor.

r

1 hour ago, Pia-mia said:

I think the relationship between RW and ZJ is all about trust, understanding and devotion. It is very slow burning. I think we are all waiting for some sort of passionate declaration from her, but it just does not seem to be in line with who she is. Also, the show seems to restrain itself from too much fan service. I think RW is someone who desires peace and comfort, she has no other ambition. Even when she is with XB, they appear as comfortable as an old married couple. It was not until she met ZJ that her life turned upside down. He is completely different from how she is and how XB is. She is as gentle as a lake, and he is as volatile as a firecracker. RW does not appear to be fickle. I think that she is truly loyal to ZJ. Her mindset is “do it or don’t, but once you start you have to follow through until the end.” I think we can see this comfort settling in her relationship with ZJ now. I take it as a sign that she does love him even if she never said it out right. ZJ sees her sincerity, even if he is not sure about her love. Only RW can soften ZJ’s sharp edges. Only she can soothe him when he is at his weakest. What can be more heartwarming? I picture her initial attraction to him as a seed. Over time, the seed grows, nurtured by his love for her, to become something so great that she never knew how it became so vital in her life in the first place. 

I think that we have not seen RW shine, but maybe this is because there is no need for this right now. ZJ loves her, XB watches over her from afar, grandfather emperor and father emperor both favor her so much. She is stuck in the inner palace all day long, but it is not a typical harem situation. Her mother-in-law is kind, and her sister has not done anything terrible to her, so far. What is there to struggle against? So far, we get to see ZJ’s struggle and rise, but not RW’s, not yet. I would think that we would see this later, but it would also mean that ZJ will have died. 

In defense of ZJ, I do not think his love has diminished. I just think he is at a different place in his life, he’s a ruler now. He takes care of the dirty work that he never wants her to be a part of. His night with HSX does not look to be loving at all. His interactions with her are like those of a business deal. That was how it started in the first place. He married her to stabilize his family’s position. He obviously favors one over the other, but he does not mistreat or neglect his wives. He tries to fulfill his duty to both, albeit with some reluctance to the unfavored one. At this point, he needs an heir so all children are welcomed. His joyful reaction to RW’s pregnancy is so pure. He is just a man in love, and his woman is having his child. I do not see this with HSX’s pregnancy. Even with the first pregnancy, he had to look at RW to see how she is. He is guarded against HSX, and I would guess that he’s playing the long game. Knowing that she will be deposed later tells me that he does not think that her son is too important. He’s saying “so what if your son is the empress’s son, he’s still not my heir.” If she thinks that she can one-up him on this, she is wrong. 

This entire post is great and I agree with all of it. I'm awfully behind, but reading this thread has kept me up to date and I definitely see this playing out as you've stated. It lines up with what we've seen in the journey of the show so far.

Archived