[Drama 2017-2018] A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 화유기

larus

16 minutes ago, tweets said:

Red Boy has major league fire powers and almost kills OG's character, forcing OG's character to ask for help from a goddess of compassion/kindness/mercy (Guan Yin) who was born of the lotus. And/or is frequently shown standing on a dragon or sitting on a lotus.

Taken from Wiki:

Next to Sun Wu Kong, the monkey king himself, there is no supernatural entity more important to the famous myths from China about a strange mystical monkey, a couple of exiled gods, a dragon, and a priest trying to bring sacred scrolls back to China than her. She delivered the ring that let the priest control the monkey king. She informed all those involved of their great place in the quest which allowed most of them to reach enlightenment. When a demon was too powerful or tricky even for the monkey king she came to their rescue. And when the monkey king was feeling like abandoning the quest she managed to talk him into returning.

When I read this I remembered that it was this deity who gave Samjang in the novel the ring to controll OG, and we have not been told who the owner of the mysterious shop is. Is she by anychance Guanin? As far as I remember the red child later became a pupil and servant of Guanin, so does that mean the boy in the shop is really MW's son?

• Like 10
  • LOL 1

2 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Taken from Wiki:

Next to Sun Wu Kong, the monkey king himself, there is no supernatural entity more important to the famous myths from China about a strange mystical monkey, a couple of exiled gods, a dragon, and a priest trying to bring sacred scrolls back to China than her. She delivered the ring that let the priest control the monkey king. She informed all those involved of their great place in the quest which allowed most of them to reach enlightenment. When a demon was too powerful or tricky even for the monkey king she came to their rescue. And when the monkey king was feeling like abandoning the quest she managed to talk him into returning.

When I read this I remembered that it was this deity who gave Samjang in the novel the ring to controll OG, and we have not been told who the owner of the mysterious shop is. Is she by anychance Guanin? As far as I remember the red child later became a pupil and servant of Guanin, so does that mean the boy in the shop is really MW's son?

Not having read the JttW, but just from what you quoted, it seems the grandmother who runs the junkshop may be that goddess. She's the one who provided the geumganggo, and the one who went to look for the sword, and while she has not been on the screen much, it seems that her character has been doing plenty in the background. And, then it would fit in with having her "grandson" be MW's son after all.

Makes me wonder if the grandson somehow gets involved with KDS and ASN then if he's the one who confronts OG. Then again, I think we've all agreed that the Hong Sisters have been deviating pretty drastically from the source material, so this is all idle speculation while we wait for the next episode. :)  Part of me thinks that it's already pretty late in the drama to make the grandson yet another opponent of OG, however, it would be a surprising development if it did happen.

5 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Not having read the JttW, but just from what you quoted, it seems the grandmother who runs the junkshop may be that goddess. She's the one who provided the geumganggo, and the one who went to look for the sword, and while she has not been on the screen much, it seems that her character has been doing plenty in the background. And, then it would fit in with having her "grandson" be MW's son after all.

Makes me wonder if the grandson somehow gets involved with KDS and ASN then if he's the one who confronts OG. Then again, I think we've all agreed that the Hong Sisters have been deviating pretty drastically from the source material, so this is all idle speculation while we wait for the next episode. :)  Part of me thinks that it's already pretty late in the drama to make the grandson yet another opponent of OG, however, it would be a surprising development if it did happen.

I don't think the child will be OG's opponent, but maybe he'll be MW's son. As you said, Hwayugi has been deviating drastically from the original novel, however, most important characters have made an appearance until now, so I'm really warming up to the idea of the shop owner being Guanyin now and the boy being the red boy :D 

Btw I didn't even stop to think about the dragon prince (in a woman's body), that he/she is actually the dragon prince from the novel :D:D:D Because in the novel he was punished to serve SJ by turning into a pure white horse that SJ rides on :D Maybe him turning into a woman is a pun to the original dragon turning into a horse? :D:D:D 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5

6 minutes ago, stroppyse said:

Then again, I think we've all agreed that the Hong Sisters have been deviating pretty drastically from the source material, so this is all idle speculation while we wait for the next episode. :)  Part of me thinks that it's already pretty late in the drama to make the grandson yet another opponent of OG, however, it would be a surprising development if it did happen.

Agreed. But it wouldn't surprise me if they blend elements in. According to the story, the goddess binds Red Boy with 5 rings (around his wrists, ankles and neck) which is similar to the 5 elements that bound Oh Gong in the beginning of the movie. Red Boy's primary weapon is fire - which could correlate with the dragon they keep talking about summoning and the bombs/apocalypse SamJang keeps seeing. And there's a distinct possibility ASN or KDS will be posing as MaWang's son since she's planning to make the son.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, tweets said:

So crazy question.... looking up Princess Iron Fan on wiki, there's mention of a "Red Boy" (lol at the name) who does battle against OG's character over the Sam Jang character (it's not clear whether Red Boy took Sam Jang hostage or what). 

Red Boy has major league fire powers and almost kills OG's character, forcing OG's character to ask for help from a goddess of compassion/kindness/mercy (Guan Yin) who was born of the lotus. And/or is frequently shown standing on a dragon or sitting on a lotus.   

The crazy question is - brush away all the speculation about SM being MW's kid, what if the writers actually stick closer to the original story? Will we see a Red Boy????? o_O 

Other than that - lotus = symbol for purity and reincarnation. Which probably is troubling to those hoping for a bed scene + that SM doesn't get killed... :) 

Red boy= shop grandson???

but if it involves taking Sunmi hostage, i would lean more to Kang Dae Sung doing it.

although i  kinda hope Sunmi power will be fully used now. Everyone has been emphasizing that she is a samjang whoi is powerful but it's more like her blood is the one powerful which lean more to sacrifice :angry:

i hope we will be seeing angry sunmi throwing and breaking glasses in Kang Dae Sung office. I won't mind seeing Sunmi throwing  a big slap to ASN either

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

Agreed. But it wouldn't surprise me if they blend elements in. According to the story, the goddess binds Red Boy with 5 rings (around his wrists, ankles and neck) which is similar to the 5 elements that bound Oh Gong in the beginning of the movie. Red Boy's primary weapon is fire - which could correlate with the dragon they keep talking about summoning and the bombs/apocalypse SamJang keeps seeing. And there's a distinct possibility ASN or KDS will be posing as MaWang's son since she's planning to make the son.

Just a small thing: In Chinese mythology dragon is not connected with fire but more with water, they mostly live in the seas and appear in the sky to create rain and thunder (actually the discussion of whether the translation should be changed since the two mystical creatures have just about nothing in common is still going on), also the chinese dragon has long been connected with the emperor or used to signify the person who is destined to rule. What I wanted to say is that I think the catastrophe will be connected with the person ASN will want to make the ruler (that evil politicial guy) = make the dragon, but not with fire (red child).

Spoiler

fire_breathing_dragon_by_sandara-d56vmyu

I think the comparison is very interesting actually :D The western dragon is more like a dinosauer that spits fire, I wonder whether it means that dinosauers have existed for longer than we think and the early humans have met them, or huge lizards and imagined their red (?) bloody (?) throats to spit out fire.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

The chinese dragon (adapted to many east asian contries) on the other hand seems to derive from a very early (and very wide spread thoughout the earth) cult of snake worship and has been a deity from the start. With time it became a creature with "the body of a snake, the whiskers of the catfish, the antlers of the stag, and the claws of an eagle", symbolically connected with emperors and kings, which is also why you can see chinese dragons on the clothes of all joseon/goryeo kings also and of course on the clothes of chinese emperors.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Just a small thing: In Chinese mythology dragon is not connected with fire but more with water, they mostly live in the seas and appear in the sky to create rain and thunder....

I know. But they're also usually benevolent and nothing about ASN's plans sound remotely positive. Plus I'd call the mushroom cloud she's keeps seeing more like fire than anything, even if it's not literal. (Though come to think of it, we've already had a lot of fire in the drama - plans to burn BuJa and the fact that OhGong burned an entire world.)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ladysaotome said:

I know. But they're also usually benevolent and nothing about ASN's plans sound remotely positive.

Which is why she will fail :D I think -_-

2 minutes ago, ladysaotome said:

Plus I'd call the mushroom cloud she's keeps seeing more like fire than anything, even if it's not literal. (Though come to think of it, we've already had a lot of fire in the drama - plans to burn BuJa and the fact that OhGong burned an entire world.)

My speculation is that what she's seeing is actually the outbreak of war between north and south korea, should the evil politician become their president as ASN tries to achieve. Also in this drama fire seems to be the primary weapon of OG? 

Well maybe I just don't want MW's child to be evil. He seems like a boy in puberty and not very mature yes, but be a or even the villian in the show because he's connected with fire and SJ saw an explosion? No please :o

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I seriously don't know what ASN can do at this point. Her power is gone and she looks stupid?

That evil Kang Dae Sung image is really positive in citizen  eyes so it won't be hard for him to win the presidential election either. Unless he is that greedy that being a president is not enough..he wants the whole world?

it's time for ASN to get her proper marriage anyway a so why don't you two get married? You two can be sealed together in the sarcophagus by OG later on with with wine, candles, etc.. guaranteed you won't be lonely

• Like 2
  • LOL 10

11 minutes ago, rittoo said:

Well maybe I just don't want MW's child to be evil. He seems like a boy in puberty and not very mature yes, but be a or even the villian in the show because he's connected with fire and SJ saw an explosion? No please :o

That's why I'm leaning toward it being KDS and not the real child. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, haymochi said:

I seriously don't know what ASN can do at this point. Her power is gone and she looks stupid?

She can eat people whole in a matter of seconds.... somehow???? :)

Other thing to note after seeing a translation of the ep 17 preview... 

Somebody says "Sam Jang could see (or saw) the future" and something about going to where the vision happened. <= The person speaking, was that KDS???? 

Also, in the still pictures above.... why is Buja dressed up like SM? I did a double-take yesterday when saw them. :D

***I read the description of Guan Yin and while I don't have a problem with the shopkeeper being that person, I do think that SM fits the bill better - especially since as she's coming into her power (or the power she inherited from ASN), she's using it to help people around her. And her life before the series began was all about her using her gift of sight to help cross souls over and/or get rid of them. And right down to her promising to come help OG if he calls her. Other versions of Guan Yin (Kannon) are supposed to prevent disasters.... 

Also, she has already promised OG to come to him whenever he is scared, in danger, or in pain.... 

Other (separate) thought.... The fact that there were other SJ's before SM seems to suggest that there is no eternal rewards for the SJ person. Basically it seems like this person is being punished repeatedly like MW's wife was and is being forced to endure repeated lives where they live to a certain age, come into their power and must be killed to save the world. Which yikes. That stinks.... 

• Like 5

Maybe the Hong sisters literally follow the original jttw by making KDS as the red boy. But, we already know that probability of KDS is MW's child is quite slim. I think that MW's child would be different from the original story.

Somehow, I captured about something new. Hahaaha. Wild imagination maybe but it seems logical to me. Remember that when SM is being possessed, she will get to wear RED dress ? First, when the glutton is drink her blood at the bar and then when ASN take her body. Other than that, we see SM is back with her uniform again. Idk whether this is just a coincidental or not.

• Like 7