[Drama 2018] Live 살다

larus

@TeBe agree with all your post. When they were having ramen and he dropped his locket, I was like seriously?! It is a turn off no offense to him. He has been pursuing her while still being attached to his dead gf. Part of me thinks this is all foreshadowing MH dying the same way his ex did. 

@Fangers agree with all your post too. Especially YC and daughter part. I loved that scene cause he was right. Doesn’t matter if the guy was nice or angry cause he would was two timed. Like YC said he shouldn’t even touch a strand on you without your consent. I really respect YC as a dad now.

@MrsSoJiSub first night light then children lesser god...not only did subbing take forever but the subs sucked (for some reason at least Live’s subs have been good) I don’t have Netflix but I think that’s ridiculous you paying for membership and don’t even have access to Kdramas. I hope no one dies too, especially uri JO and SS.

@Blizzardistkaputt the hypocrisy is real

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

I am starting to loath Netflix. They get the rights to all these bombs dramas and air it everywhere EXPECT NORTH AMERICA and then take 80 thousand years to finally stream it to us North Americans *cries in frustrated fangirl* Was you do this to me. My heart legit shattered when I was informed weekly episodes were coming out one week after airing (?) on Netflix in countries not the the U.S. TvN do you not understand the torture that was waiting for Stranger to finally be allowed to the US so I could binge watch? Do you know the agony I still feel waiting for Avengers Social Club (yeah that's JTBC drama but Netflix has the right to many JTBC dramas as well)? How I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for Bad Guys: City of Evil to come or Prison Playbook. By the time most these dramas finally are allowed on Netflix US, my interest in them have reduced because fresh new subbed available drama is there for the watching. Aka unbreak my fangirl heart tvN and give content to same day subbers (and better in my humble opinion) Viki or let Netflix show it in the Americas as they do other countries.  GIVE ME MY DRAMAS AS THEY AIR OR GIVE ME DEATH!!

Dear Drama,

Please don't let anyone die. Also please let my baby girl Jeong Oh find a way to truly confront and cope with what happened to her all those years ago because my poor girl  has so much still burning with her (the least of which is her father) and she keep kind of self sabotaging and breaking her own hear (and those of others) out of fear and so many conflicted emotions and sad knowings about how society is. The harsh truths this drama reveals, the sad harsh truths of life :( Myeong-Ho you one of the MVP for me. Such a sweet, caring, understanding, mature, and upstanding guy. That was a mature way for both to do things (and why do I get the feeling it's over but not over. I need subs *raises fist of fangirl fury at Netflix*).

I have only watched clips and not the full ep but this drama is soooo good and all the characters feel so real (in all their good and bad). I want to jump in the screen and help them all resolve their internal conflict, aid them in finding mature healthy ways to cope, and move forward in their own sense of happiness and a good life (the psychologist in me just wants counsel them all) . All of them kick so my much richard simmons. What shall I do what this show ends in two weeks and their are no more episodes to look forward to? Bitter brain: Wait the 80,000 years till Netflix has it up in the US so you can binge with as much excitement and hopefully less anxiety *yes I do talk to myself :tongue:*

ETA: I don't think Jeong-Oh's hiccups in relationships have anything (okay, maybe a small some) to do with her inferiority complex of being a child out of wedlock or having a mentaly ill mother. Much of how she is in relationships has everything to do with her rape or sexual assail she experienced when younger. Remember that ep where the engaged chick was worried about wha her fiancé would say? I feel like part of Jeong-Oh (that maybe even she doesn't recognize) see herself as tainted and dirty. She knows (and she's not lying) society would see her as tainted and dirty were they to know.

I think a part of her feels she's "dirty" for Myung-ho who is seemingly pure, has been through hardships of his own where it comes to love, and having been through that really need another heartbreak/burden of shouldering her secrets and the views of society as well (a good movie that kind of sort of touches on something similar is 'My Sunshine') I'm not saying Myeong-Ho or any man she shares her trauma with would view her with disgust or find her unworthy. But she's knows, it's been shown, it's proven, this is a real possibility. Simply, would a mother in law accept her? Not only is she a child out of wedlock, her mother has mental illness, and she doesn't exactly have a "woman's job" *roles eyes*(all this comes with many prejudice, discrimination, and stigma), but she's also been a victim of rape/sexual assault, something many in society won't even see her as a victim or even if they do, their own prejudice will scorn instead of comfort and help her.

I don't find her fickle, our wishy washy. My heart hurts for her because my goodness what happened to her is something so cruel and heavy to carry all your life. And she has and continues to carry it alone (she's never told her mom what happened). I can understand the weight of it. I can understand pushing love interest away. Not allowing yourself full happiness because, even if you can keep it from everyone; It's not easy to keep secrets from someone you are in love with and maybe trying to build a forever love or life with. Doing such a thing wears on you and your relationship (we're seeing that with her and MH). Tthe fear of what happens if/when they find out? Will they understand you? Will they feel cheated? betrayed? That big fear that, you'll lose them. They'll view you differently, they'll disappoint you in so many ways and then leave you. If they stay, then what? I think when Jeong-oh has been serious with or about anyone and knows that Pandora's box must be opened, she dumps them (with the other mentee's friend and now MH).

As more and more rape/sexual assault cases came to the precient and Jeong-oh got personally involved, and things with MH started to get more than surface deep, Jeong-Oh had to ask herself tough questions and face things she's never really allowed herself to confront (and still doesn't). I wish she would allow Myeong-ho, her mom, Sam-soo, Hye-ri, the squad, to see all of her and take her or leave her. Then again all of that is easier said than done and having watched the movie 'Han Gong Ju (I cannot recommend that move enough. So so so good in all its heartbreak) and just knowing the social rules and norms that govern the world in general; doing so has such harsh dire consequences for victims. It break my heart how society too often shuns and shames them for the horrors done unto them :bawling:

Hi and apologies for cutting your post. Absolutely agree with you: Netflix is killing us here. Why show on air dramas everywhere but North America? I think Canada's cut off, too. I'm so sorry that N. discovered kdrama!  Another thing it gets in the way of is sharing on a forum like this, and enjoying (or not) a drama with people all over the world while it is airing.

And I have nothing but sympathy for JO. She was raped by two?  more? guys with no one to turn to for comfort. It's a tribute to her strength for being as together as she is. I can understand that she's got walls up emotionally for self-protection. The societal stuff is terrible, too. The scenes with the rapist's kids were heartbreaking. JO and those kids--all victims.

Err if ep 11-13 didn't indicate the end of JO-MH, ep 14 was the nail in the coffin. MH remains a good guy to the end. When JO asked to "break up" and tried to blame herself and her past, he just said the only reason is that to her, he's just not the one, plain and simple, and that it's him who's not ready to love. Basically, making her feel normal and taking the blame. He even says to meet a better guy than him. Ugh it was so hard to watch that ship die after such a great 8 episode run. But SS has been there for JO each time and stayed when she tried to push everyone away, so he's probably the one for her. Even his mom supports them.

Now that JO's arc is over, now it's time for JM and HR. I hope JM isn't forced out and HR comes back. All of the cops can't seem to catch a break...4 eps left...

8 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

I am starting to loath Netflix. They get the rights to all these bombs dramas and air it everywhere EXPECT NORTH AMERICA and then take 80 thousand years to finally stream it to us North Americans *cries in frustrated fangirl* Was you do this to me. My heart legit shattered when I was informed weekly episodes were coming out one week after airing (?) on Netflix in countries not the the U.S. TvN do you not understand the torture that was waiting for Stranger to finally be allowed to the US so I could binge watch? Do you know the agony I still feel waiting for Avengers Social Club (yeah that's JTBC drama but Netflix has the right to many JTBC dramas as well)? How I thought I was going to go crazy waiting for Bad Guys: City of Evil to come or Prison Playbook. By the time most these dramas finally are allowed on Netflix US, my interest in them have reduced because fresh new subbed available drama is there for the watching. Aka unbreak my fangirl heart tvN and give content to same day subbers (and better in my humble opinion) Viki or let Netflix show it in the Americas as they do other countries.  GIVE ME MY DRAMAS AS THEY AIR OR GIVE ME DEATH!!

I agree! UGH, hate Netflix. Why do they do this?

They even have great taste. A lot of K-dramas they buy rights to are awesome. And then they buy it and stash it away like buried treasure. Don't they realize live-watching is part of the fun? Would any American TV fan stand for it if they did that with a popular American show?

April 22, 2018

"Live" Jung Yu-mi Breaks Up with Shin Dong-wook

Source: TV Daily via HanCinema.net

photo967712.jpg

Han Jeong-oh (Jung Yu-mi) and Choi Myeong-ho (Shin Dong-wook) broke up on the latest episode of the tvN drama "Live".

Han Jeong-oh apologized to Choi Myeong-ho for ending the relationship as quickly as it started. She said, "I thought it was alright for me to meet someone else and love someone else. I didn't think I wouldn't hurt".

Choi Myeong-ho comforted her by saying, "I guess I just wasn't right for you. There's no other reason than that".

"It's not you that's not ready to love. It's me. You asked me if I was over Hyeon-soo the day we kissed. But I still can't throw away her pendant. I couldn't answer you, so I guess I haven't gotten over her".

Han Jeong-oh said, "How can you forget someone you've been with for 3 years and became a policeman with in just 2 years? That's too greedy".

Choi Myeong-ho told her to meet someone better than him and they clarified things with their co-workers too.

April 22, 2018

"Live" Jung Yu-mi and Lee Si-eon Pose Cutely Together

Source: TopStarNews via HanCinema.net

photo967754.jpg

Jung Yu-mi from "Live" posted a picture on her Instagram on the 7th. In it she poses cutely with co-star Lee Si-eon.

They are both sitting with their faces cupped in their hands.

Jung Yu-mi looks cute and lovable.

She is starring in the tvN drama "Live" as Han Jeong-oh, a policewoman whose goal gives her hardy determination.

I thought that 13 and 14 were better written with a tighter character focus. I really liked that because the characters now have much more dimensionality. Plus I like how it shows that there are indirect victims--the children. I really appreciate a writer upping her game. <3

Sex ed is a problem in many countries...

Proper sex ed can help reduce the number of sexual predators too, as they get reported earlier with correct and age-appropriate training. Basics like bodily consent, can be taught to children as young as 2.

BTW, the hangeul and title of the show is "라이브" not "살다" Might be easier to find if the title of the thread was correct...

Edit: Oh and abortion isn't illegal in Korea if one can prove rape. But in Jeong Oh's case proving rape with everything she did, etc would have been difficult. Very, very, very few countries don't allow an abortion even after rape.

2 hours ago, snowdragon09 said:

Does anyone know the english song in this drama ??

I badly need them :wub:

I was able to recognize only:

Family of the Year - Carry Me
The Getaway Plan - Coming Home 
Max Meser - Weak For Love
Jon Allen - In Your Light
Reverieme - Fairy Stories
Girls’ Generation - Into the New World

18 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

I thought that 13 and 14 were better written with a tighter character focus. I really liked that because the characters now have much more dimensionality.

True. Initially I was a little lukewarm towards JO but both episodes helped me understand her character more.

18 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

Proper sex ed can help reduce the number of sexual predators too, as they get reported earlier with correct and age-appropriate training. Basics like bodily consent, can be taught to children as young as 2.

I'm really happy the writer wrote this scene. I was like, "YASSSSSS GIRL! TELL 'EM!!!" It must be difficult to introduce this to a traditional culture but I'm glad Koreans are using popular mediums such as TV to teach these kinds of things. Another example of this is the issue about the costly feminine pads. I remember watching this on the mock parliament episodes of Infinite Challenge where they revealed that some young women can't afford pads and therefore use newspapers. I love that reality is integrated with entertainmetn here. One of the things I envy about Korean TV shows is the way they write shows responsibly. In my country, we get trash TV. There's no effort to elevate television and use it to at raise awareness about serious issues such as sex ed. Kudos to the writer and everyone involved in the show.

8 hours ago, triplem said:

I wait in great anticipation every Friday for new episodes to come out on Netflix.

I know right?! I watch the following episodes even without the subs though because it's impossible to wait after watching the cliffhangers. That's two weeks in a row that JO saw something and then the show ended, and I was like, "WHAT DID SHE SEEEEEE...?!?!?!" :D

Also @triplem, I agree with everything you wrote. I was overwhelmed that I was only able to write a one-sentence review while I was watching the episodes. Lee Kwang Soo's acting improved. I felt his sincerity in the crying scenes, and what SS said about not knowing what to tell JO and just feeling really sad are spot on. I would have felt the same way. Oh, and I was really glad they added some comic relief in the hospital scene while YC was crying, and the Chief was crying too, and YC thought the Chief has just become sensitive? I went from being teary-eyed to laughing because the captain was crying over his "impending doom." ALSOOOO, yes, I understand why you like YC very much. He draws my attention too and as I've said before, I'd be okay dating him. I won't divorce him as JM did. HAHA (Although I'm torn because I really like Lee Kwang Soo and his character, SS, too. Maybe that's because as SS said, he's becoming like YC. :))

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

True. Initially I was a little lukewarm towards JO but both episodes helped me understand her character more.

I know, right, plus it's not the flat landscape she had before of they have this problem, but all problems look like this. She managed to put nuance into the problem quite a bit and say that how different people deal with it is OK, which is an upgrade from It's OK, it's love.

So she managed to put in how different victims react differently to trauma--which is good. That was one of my complaints about It's OK it's love. She had something like a magical number which made me grumble.

She also put in different perspectives, victim blaming, etc. So we got deeper into the character's choices over this is a trauma, hey look at the trauma type of feeling. It's more like how the trauma relates to the character now and how she's learned how to cope--for better or worse. And how that may be different for everyone.

1 hour ago, lollyminx said:

@triplemI'm really happy the writer wrote this scene. I was like, "YASSSSSS GIRL! TELL 'EM!!!" It must be difficult to introduce this to a traditional culture but I'm glad Koreans are using popular mediums such as TV to teach these kinds of things. Another example of this is the issue about the costly feminine pads. I remember watching this on the mock parliament episodes of Infinite Challenge where they revealed that some young women can't afford pads and therefore use newspapers. I love that reality is integrated with entertainmetn here. One of the things I envy about Korean TV shows is the way they write shows responsibly. In my country, we get trash TV. There's no effort to elevate television and use it to at raise awareness about serious issues such as sex ed. Kudos to the writer and everyone involved in the show.

Koreans use TV in a lot of ways for social justice... which I've always admired about my own culture. How one movie can change a landscape or a tide of opinion--say how the King and the Clown changed a lot of opinions on homosexuality. Media changes things in Korea, not because Koreans don't have individual information/opinions, but because the information is often not disseminated in other ways... so often the media in Korea tends to be far left of the government, which tends on the ultra conservative side.

BTW, people usually think of sex ed as things like how to have sex, but I think of it more as things like consent--what does that mean--which is important starting YOUNG. You can start the habit of it as a baby. Basics of biology... and sexuality--including LGBTQIA... and it should start younger too... Younger doesn't mean teach about sex, but teach about basics of things like, What's that called. What are slang terms for it. They started an aggressive sex ed in the Netherlands, IIRC, and the amount of sexual predators that got reported more quickly went up.

I also think of sex ed as bodily autonomy, understanding when it is and isn't your fault, what victim blaming looks like, what a healthy and unhealthy relationship looks like. Not all of that includes sex. It's basics of learning how to be a decent human being which sometimes gets neglected by parents... because as we saw, not all parents are decent human beings or rich.

In the US, at least there are some men that reach college and still don't understand if the woman is really drunk it's not OK to have sex with them. And frankly, that's a travesty. (Some women still don't get that it's not OK either, which is super sad... I've had a few women argue flat out with me that it's OK.)

Archived