Episodes: 16

Director: Hsu Fu Chun

Broadcast Period: 12/22/2017

Cast:

Ruby Lin

Derek Zhang

Archie Kao

Synopsis:

It takes a tremendous amount of courage to make changes to your personal and professional lives. Luo Xiao Fei (Ruby Lin) works as a director of television commercials. Her boss is Xiao Ye Shi (Archie Kao), the owner of the advertising agency as well as her boyfriend of five years. Despite the complacency and neglect of her long-term relationship with Ye Shi, Xiao Fei finds it hard to make major changes in her life that could impact her job. When Xiao Fei meets the much younger An Qing Hui (Derek Chang), who just graduated from college with a design degree, will he give Xiao Fei the courage to follow her heart?

Cr Wiki

My Dear Boy 我的男孩 Viki English Subbed Episodes

**Please use spoiler tags for those who have not seen the episodes yet**

[spoiler ]enter your spoiler here without the spaces inside the brackets[ /spoiler]

Preview:

OSTs:

Additional Links:

My Dear Boy 我的男孩 Viki English Subbed Episodes

My Dear Boy 我的男孩 Raw Episodes

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

@molleym  I am loving this drama! 

It's funny, but earlier today I came by here and thought, "Why in the world is nobody commenting on this show?" Since Jan 12, anyway.  And voila!  Molleym comments.  To you and anyone else who cares...Oh my! (dear boy, haha), Show, how do I love thee, let me count the ways.

- I am loving the acting, esp. of our main couple.  What a discovery this Derek Chang is to me.  Very natural, non-overboard acting is key to a drama's believability, and this cast has it.  

- Plot - I admit I'm a sucker for a good romance and even more for a good noona romance.  Qinghui's quest to grow up and be a man worthy of Xiaofei's love and respect is portrayed realistically.  I loved his confession and his determination to win her.  The scene with both of them crying while expressing their feelings of frustration, among other things, of this situation they find themselves in is so full of raw emotion that you can't help but feel for them.  

Why can't everyone just let them be happy together and love each other without throwing these "either-or" ultimatums at them or the ever present and very influential social mores?  Okay, so it'd be too easy or too unrealistic.  Definitely makes for a drama that keeps me wanting more...like a happy ending.  I feel we will get one, but we (and they) must suffer first.

@molleym @kappy I started watching this drama last week and I must say that the story is really good. I agree that the actor Derek Chang is doing a good job. 

I knew that XF was the mother of QQ, since she was shown at the hospital (gyneco. department) and she disappeared for one year: to hide her pregnancy. I am glad that QA didn't give up and remembered all the advices he heard from her and director Xiao Y.

So now, they are about to fight against the mother and the sister...

• 2 weeks later...

My Mandarin isn't that great, but is that a break up I smelled at the end of 17? If so... NOOO. 'cause he seems to say long time no see at the previews too. After all that build up, I'm hoping more for a Korean than a Chinese ending...

@Kim Yunmi @dramaninja  Yes, it's break up, alright.  But thanks to the subbed preview I just watched, this is what it appears to be for the next epi... 

- The couple is broken-hearted, but break up "nicely" and appear to spend a night together before they part ways (the scene where we only see Xiaofei's wall).  We see An Qinghui being congratulated because he has become successful in a particular field (art? production?) during the time that passes.  We see An Qinghui at perhaps Xiaofei's sister's place and Mr. Niceguy (forgot his name) is there greeting him, after which Xiaofei comes out and is "showing" (several months pregnant).  An Quinhui asks if she is married.  END preview

My thoughts:  She is pregnant, but not with Mr. Niceguy's baby.  I am sure it's An Quinhui's, and she is not married.

Waaa!

On 4/22/2018 at 9:53 PM, kappy said:

@Kim Yunmi @dramaninja  Yes, it's break up, alright.  But thanks to the subbed preview I just watched, this is what it appears to be for the next epi... 

- The couple is broken-hearted, but break up "nicely" and appear to spend a night together before they part ways (the scene where we only see Xiaofei's wall).  We see An Qinghui being congratulated because he has become successful in a particular field (art? production?) during the time that passes.  We see An Qinghui at perhaps Xiaofei's sister's place and Mr. Niceguy (forgot his name) is there greeting him, after which Xiaofei comes out and is "showing" (several months pregnant).  An Quinhui asks if she is married.  END preview

My thoughts:  She is pregnant, but not with Mr. Niceguy's baby.  I am sure it's An Quinhui's, and she is not married.

Waaa!

Thanks for this

Episode 18

I am more confused looks like an insane amount of time past the girl looks 6 or 7.

I guess he is the father since no one else is around her just her and her daughter.

I mean if that his his daughter its pretty crappy he is missing out on raising her.

So you have watched episode 18 already?  I haven't yet, so I'll look for it. 

Really?  The girl looks 6 or 7?  She didn't show up in the preview, did she?  If so, I spaced it on that.  I'm sad if that much time passed and they weren't able to be together as a couple and he missed out on raising the girl.  Wait, are we talking about QuanQuan or the girl who probably is his daughter?  I think you mean the latter.

So now I am confused like you.  LOL!  Must watch.....  Will be back and discuss later.

Okay, so I just watched it, and I'm afraid I was misleading, partly on account of my not understanding due to lack of Eng subs yet, and partly because the pregnant Xiaofei and Mr. Niceguy appears to have been a dream.  I won't be offering any more guesses/thoughts until I see it again with subs.  But it is encouraging, especially if that was a dream.

On 4/27/2018 at 6:12 PM, kappy said:

Okay, so I just watched it, and I'm afraid I was misleading, partly on account of my not understanding due to lack of Eng subs yet, and partly because the pregnant Xiaofei and Mr. Niceguy appears to have been a dream.  I won't be offering any more guesses/thoughts until I see it again with subs.  But it is encouraging, especially if that was a dream.

My mandarin is kinda shaky at best, but I get the sense it was a dream. And in that time he's been busy growing up. But not all is lost 'cause remember he had daydreams with a grown girl? So maybe those daydreams are the end game. Plus he still seems to think about her, etc.

2 more episode to go, if I read the number correctly... since it's the writer of In Time With You, I'm hoping for a good long game.

4 hours ago, Kim Yunmi said:

My mandarin is kinda shaky at best, but I get the sense it was a dream. And in that time he's been busy growing up. But not all is lost 'cause remember he had daydreams with a grown girl? So maybe those daydreams are the end game. Plus he still seems to think about her, etc.

2 more episode to go, if I read the number correctly... since it's the writer of In Time With You, I'm hoping for a good long game.

I'm about to watch the latest episode with full subs, but I wanted to ask about what you said about the daydreams with a grown girl.  Can you remind me which part/epi that was?  I feel it's going to end well, and I know what you recall is a hint that it will.  

Plus I forgot how many episodes there are to be in total.  Thanks, and someday I plan to watch In Time With You.  

Just wanted to add my thoughts about that bit in the beginning of the current epi depicting their "running away from their enemies."  It may come across as silly to some, but there is something about that whole thing that seemed so romantic and bittersweet.  Maybe romantic is not the word.  It just affected me more than the typical break up scene.  I was rooting for them, but felt so sad for them.  Their exchange of words and gestures were so tender, as they fought (in vain) to hold back their tears about a situation that they'd come to feel was inevitable.  I wanted to yell at the screen, "Stick it out!  Love conquers all, right?"  But the way their lives are going now, I can see it.  He's grown up and made a name for himself, now a well-respected person in the directing field.  He's stronger, just as he told his family so boldly after his break up.  When they parted, they knew there were no guarantees that they'd be together again, but there was the hope.  Despite the passing of several years, it is obvious they still love each other, and I have a feeling that indeed, love will prove itself in the end, as something that truly has the ability to conquer all.

19 hours ago, kappy said:

I'm about to watch the latest episode with full subs, but I wanted to ask about what you said about the daydreams with a grown girl.  Can you remind me which part/epi that was?  I feel it's going to end well, and I know what you recall is a hint that it will.  

Plus I forgot how many episodes there are to be in total.  Thanks, and someday I plan to watch In Time With You.  

Just wanted to add my thoughts about that bit in the beginning of the current epi depicting their "running away from their enemies."  It may come across as silly to some, but there is something about that whole thing that seemed so romantic and bittersweet.  Maybe romantic is not the word.  It just affected me more than the typical break up scene.  I was rooting for them, but felt so sad for them.  Their exchange of words and gestures were so tender, as they fought (in vain) to hold back their tears about a situation that they'd come to feel was inevitable.  I wanted to yell at the screen, "Stick it out!  Love conquers all, right?"  But the way their lives are going now, I can see it.  He's grown up and made a name for himself, now a well-respected person in the directing field.  He's stronger, just as he told his family so boldly after his break up.  When they parted, they knew there were no guarantees that they'd be together again, but there was the hope.  Despite the passing of several years, it is obvious they still love each other, and I have a feeling that indeed, love will prove itself in the end, as something that truly has the ability to conquer all.

The bicycle trip (I forgot which episode number) where before he figured out his feelings, he had a day dream while staring at her with them in the park, and there was a girl there. I was kinda surprised that 1: it was unequivocally a girl he chose for his fantasy given the nature of inheritance... and also that she was much more grown in his fantasy. He played with her. And she called him father--I originally thought that might be a hint about XF's daughter... but that might have also been a hint about the future as well...  It's near the time they ate seafood on the bike trip.

The In Time With You writer, BTW, tends to do that sort of foreshadowing... if I knew this was her work, I would have recognized it as foreshadowing. The small bits she does early on seem insignificant and then suddenly bloom later. I really liked her collab with Winnie (the director, not actress)--they made a really excellent team. Winnie is my favorite director hands down and he tends to do a lot of good feminism stuff, even in his early works. Plus he's one of the few male directors that seem very aware of gender roles and is willing to play around with them... at the same time as I am in love with his directing style, the use of "accidents" on screen, and playing around with the audience. (He did several really good dramas.) He did ISWAK, They Kiss Again, etc. I've liked all his dramas. I can gush over his work for hours. His own downside is because he's kinda anal, careful and so on, he's slow to cut. But it shows up in his work and boy, do I love it. It's the kind of thing you want to rewatch over and over to make sure you got all of it. In Time with You being so compact and since he knew the actors so well and the actors had previously worked together is like the pinnacle of everything good. Shows his directing style, shows off some excellent acting, and the writing is superb.

AQH did need to mature in relationships, too, also, some of his moves were awkward and kinda unfeminist, but the writer seemed vividly aware of that by punishing him early and often for such wrong choices.

I'm just hoping she doesn't backstab us with a sad ending.

Archived