[Taiwanese Drama 2017] My Dear Boy 我的男孩

sugarplum892

@Kim Yunmi  Thanks for the reminder about the bicycle trip day dream.  And I shall have to check out In Time With You, for sure.

I'm enjoying how the story has unfolded and how they have handled the whole older woman/younger man thing, though I have thought many times that she indeed seemed to treat him more like a younger brother than a lover, teaching him life lessons 'cause she's been through them, giving him loving advice for his future, etc.  I've especially wanted to see more signs of her being enamored with him...like going weak in the knees when he's really close to her...not resisting so much when he goes to kiss her...and then actually enjoying the kiss.  I know she's kissed him back several times, but I guess the romantic in me wants to see her get lost in his kiss.  There's no doubt she loves him, but I think the show did well to convey that the years they spent apart really did serve as a time of growth for both of them, but especially for him.  They, in essence, over time, switched roles.  His experiences and hard work made him mature into a grown man...responsible, kind (though he was always kind), calm, confident, and strong.  He is now someone who can, with confidence, lead his woman, not in a bossy way, but protect her and truly be a helpmate, someone she can look up to as her man.

He has outgrown Shampoo.  His good friend knows him well and kindly let Shampoo know he has never gotten over his ex and intends to reunite with her.  When Dabao asked if he was serious about his inquiries about Xiaofei, I love his reply, "I have always been serious."

So Quanquan is a cutesie, generic name and not the little girl's real name?  Like a nickname similar to Honey or Sweetie?  This little girl is adorable.  How can Qinghui's mom not develop feelings for her?  Nice try, Grandma.  It's obvious Quanquan has quickly won her over.  And Xiaofei has taught her little one well as demonstrated by her recognizing that Grandma was about to be conned out of her money by that caller.

While I look forward to what I feel will be a happy ending, I am also sad for this wonderful drama to end.  

I watched epi 18 again and saw that Quanquan IS a pet name, according to An Qinghui's mom in her stressing that she, herself, calls her sons by their names and not pet names.  And cute Quanquan insists on calling her Grandma.  What a good little actress she is.

I'm loving the preview for 20 (someone uploaded a different one from the one tacked at the end of epi 19).

Also wanted to say how much I love the song Meet with Myself by Pets Tseng - beautiful and sweet yet sad melody with a yearning feeling to it, and the lyrics carry that same feeling of yearning...so poetic.  Credit to the translator...(not me, but many thanks)

(Chorus of Meet with Myself)

Escaping from you, I tried very hard.

To have an encounter with myself, I have to lose you,

Learning in my loneliness that courage is needed.

The world is vast.

If memories are to be extended, I can’t remain in the same spot.

It’s a pity that the distance is far.

To have an encounter with myself in that place, you can’t be there.

From this day, on the multiple choice question to my happiness

No matter how desolate it might be,

I must do my best to keep it beautiful.

8 hours ago, dramaninja said:

Lol it was a sweet and funny ending.

Sweet and funny ending?  I'll take that as good!  Of course, I felt it would be a good ending, but I've been disappointed before (elsewhere).  You've got my interest piqued, but I shall wait (painfully) until at least most of the Eng subs are out (as much as that will kill me).  Thanks!

33 minutes ago, kappy said:

Sweet and funny ending?  I'll take that as good!  Of course, I felt it would be a good ending, but I've been disappointed before (elsewhere).  You've got my interest piqued, but I shall wait (painfully) until at least most of the Eng subs are out (as much as that will kill me).  Thanks!

You will see what I mean when you watch it!

I cant understand it of course but I understand those feelings

6 hours ago, dramaninja said:

You will see what I mean when you watch it!

I cant understand it of course but I understand those feelings

Alright, so I succumbed to my uncontrollable interest that you helped pique, and I watched it even though I could understand only 60% of it (subbed 60%).  I couldn't wait any longer. 

Yes, it was indeed a sweet and funny ending.  Left me with such a good feeling.  I'm dying to find out what Shampoo told Qinghui that gave him the resolve to take the bull by the horns and just go for it (the kiss!).  I guess I shall have to wait for the remaining 40% to be subbed.  But as you say, I understand those feelings!

I loved the series beginning to end. BTW, the 100% subs are out... I waited for 18, 19 and 20 and then marathoned them. And then rewatched 20. So good. The writer is going on my to-watch list. Plus Derek did a really good job separating the older and younger version of Qinghui... Kinda too bad this thread wasn't more active while it was on--I think people missed a really good drama.

Glad to hear all of these positive comments about the drama. I put this drama on hold way back at episode 3 because other things got in the way but I think i'm going to give this another go because I'm a fan of the writer. Speaking of the writer, I would highly recommend "An Innocent Mistake." 

I feel that drama is definitely overlooked and among one of the best dramas i've watched. I also think Q Series: Life Plan A and B is a good watch.

9 hours ago, jayells said:

Glad to hear all of these positive comments about the drama. I put this drama on hold way back at episode 3 because other things got in the way but I think i'm going to give this another go because I'm a fan of the writer. Speaking of the writer, I would highly recommend "An Innocent Mistake." 

I feel that drama is definitely overlooked and among one of the best dramas i've watched. I also think Q Series: Life Plan A and B is a good watch.

I'll definitely look at her other dramas then, especially when I'm on break. Got to say, if she collabed with Winnie (the director) again, I wouldn't hesitate to watch the drama. I loved their collab--I think they brought out the best in each other.

1 hour ago, Kim Yunmi said:

I'll definitely look at her other dramas then, especially when I'm on break. Got to say, if she collabed with Winnie (the director) again, I wouldn't hesitate to watch the drama. I loved their collab--I think they brought out the best in each other.

I highly agree, In Time With You is one of my favorite dramas. Even though I really like "An Innocent Mistake", I still feel "In Time With You" is the strongest work that that either of them has been involved with, mainly because as you said both of them brought their A game and meshed really well together. One of the recent dramas that Winnie has done is Q Series: A Boy Named Flora A which I liked quite a bit too but I had some issues with the writing in the later episodes. "Tree in the River" is another one which is currently airing, pretty interesting so far. 

Just finished this drama and would like to share some of my thoughts. Spoilers ahead so don't read past this point if you want to avoid them:

Admittedly, when the drama started I was having trouble with how they wanted to sell the relationship between An Qing Hui and Xiao Fei. I didn't have an issue with the age gap but moreso with how they portrayed An Qing Hui as being too childish. Of course, that was the intention and have to say they definitely did a good job of selling his growth and maturity as the series progressed.

In episode 5, An QIng Hui's mother mentions that she has never bought anything nice for herself (dresses) which is what my mom always says too lol. Maybe that's why in a way even though I didn't agree with her I could see why she objected to the relationship. At that point in the drama, she was going through menopause. But also, she was used to pampering her children and taking care of everything for them.  She still saw An Qing Hui as her "baby" and couldn't fathom the idea that he would be capable of being in a relationship with an older woman let alone one with a daughter that she wasn't raising on her own. However, now that her boys are out of the house and has made peace with the fact that she is growing older, she is now more willing to accept the idea of being a grandparent. I think also meeting Quan Quan helped alleviate her fears. She saw that Xiao Fei is now a part of her daughter's life and saw how well behaved and bright/independent she is.

I really liked An Qing Hui and Xiao Fei's relationship, they both had some bad past experiences but were trying to learn from them. To be more courageous and to fight for your love and to be more open to communicating when there's issues. Xiao Fei's attentiveness to her film crew and each individual member also rubbed off on An Qing Hui, as he became more aware and concerned for his family and friends. 

Another strong point of this series is the editing for me. Although at times this did get bogged down with too many flashbacks/montages. But in the latter half of the drama when reality/dreams/memories and the passing of time all get mixed in with each other was definitely interesting. With both of the leads being directors, they both had quite the imagination. Whether it was the dream of being able to leave everything behind and to escape from your problems even temporarily or a brief moment of vulnerability when An Qing Hui came back and despite all of his achievements/improvements, he was still worried that he missed out on his chance with Xiao Fei. Those dreams were always followed with a moment of a realization and a determination to face their problems head on.

The ending left me both happy and sad which is a good thing for me. Happy because they finally can be together but also sad because I won't get to see their lives play out together.

If I had to rank the dramas written by Mag Hsu it would be: 

In Time With You>An Innocent Mistake>My Dear Boy>Q Series: Life Plan A and B>Apple in Your Eye.

I would consider the first 3 essential and are highly recommended!

Sorry for the long post, thanks to everyone and their comments for renewing my interest in the drama, glad I decided to give it another go.

• 4 weeks later...
  • sugarplum892 changed the title to [Taiwanese Drama 2017] My Dear Boy 我的男孩

Archived