[Drama 2017] Strongest Deliveryman 최강배달꾼

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

such an awful perm! hahahaha... can I possibly look past that to check it out or will I be distracted while watching and thinking the guy needs to do something so the hair doesn't look so dry and lifeless... ^_^

7 minutes ago, triplem said:

hahaha...lee min ho's waves are on a different level...GKP's one looks like instant noodles that are not  quite cooked yet...:ph34r:

LOL.... at least they could have given him a side parting; with his pointed chin, middle parting just makes that hair even more awful. and it is so drrrrrry.. give the man some oil or something to save that hair. or maybe he will just shave it off when he comes successful and become super hot. ooh, wonder what his hair will look once he starts rolling in money. or maybe he will get dumped and then he cuts his hair? or he will get hit by the truck of doom and get amnesia and a new hairstyle? what will be the life event that gives him a new hairstyle? ^_^

2 hours ago, triplem said:

and it seems like they know each other (or had some previous altercation)

That's from the collision in the first of the clips  @Yongsura posted, in the first part you didn't catch.  That's where he got the damage to his cellphone screen we keep seeing later in the es  Not to mention a vicious kick in the place men feel most. It's also why he thinks he hasn't a chance in the job interview when it turns out who the delayed-arrival  member of the "interview panel" is, after the owner and chef told him that third member's vote would be decisive, since they only ever hired people she liked.

and she has dreams of leaving SK for a better future

More than dreams. She's planning to emigrate (or immigrate at subbers tend translate it)  the moment she's saved 100 billion Won from her earnings, and she's set a countdouwn on her cellphone to the D-day when she'll have that amount

Think he said something to mock GKP when GKP was admiring a sports car there.

Yup. The standard rich boy mockery of the despised delivery guy who presumes to admire a foreign car.

a motley crew of delivery boys who somewhat "bully" GKP

They're sort of  the Yellow Box Gang, defending their delivery territory and demanding "tribute" from any eatery riders who want to supply customers on their "patch"  (or indeed come to collect their used dishes from customers as is the Korean practice)  There are indications that they work for restaurants run by franchisees of a chaebol-owned company which is trying to put sole owner back-street outfits out of business.

Show looks good so far. Good pace, well varied, fine character interplay, dialogue quite witty in places (including some in-jokery re other dramas), fights and chases skilfully arranged. 

It will be interesting to see if KBS can get viewers to hook into get the Friday-Saturday timing though. Cable viewers will be used to it, and KBS tried that slot combination thenselves at least once before, but dropped it, apparently partly because of a mismatch between Friday and Saturday evening audience demographics,

I just watched a raw of today's ep 1 after previously only half-watching the live show while trying to do something else... I'd say it's looking pretty promising so far.

The episode starts with a voiceover: "That guy?  In a word, he's a drifter. [The word 떠돌아 implies someone who doesn't "belong" in any neighborhood or town, who is rootless and doesn't care that there's nowhere he can call "home". This is of course in conventional Korean terms a BAD THING.] We then get to see the speaker (albeit from behind). More importantly we get to see his tatoos in closeup, which signal "gangster" or (as emerges in this case later in the episode) "ex-gangster turned great jajangmyeon cook".  The voice continues "He kinda makes you feel there's a crazy guy round here. Know what I mean?. He's never lived for long in any neighborhood. After a couple of months he moves out and whoosh! he goes somewhere else"

But already the images accompanying this voiceover belie the judgement being passed. Choi Kang Su riding his motorbike crossfades into alternating images of (apparently) two  young men, one of them also plainly Kang Su (the hairdo helps here, which may be its main function) the other looking smart and fresh-faced, but the fact that they're both doing the same rather odd thing, namely studying detailed maps of Seoul neighborhoods pinned to the wall and methodically shading in parts of them, suggests that we're seeing a time-lapse of the same man pursuing an activity he's been engaged in for quite a few years during which has he has changed his appearance (yes, especially the hair)  and manner. At the reference to his moving home every couple of months, we see Kang Su stoffing a few clothes into a bag, taking down all his map segments from the wall and carefully sorting them into piles to keep them in the right order before putting them into his bag as well.

The thing about delivery riders is that they have to know Seoul like the back of their hand, far more so that taxi drivers. The reason being that the geography of Seoul means that there are countless addresses in the "undeveloped" areas of the city that a taxi can't possibly reach, so as long as a cab driver knows roughly where to drop a passenger on the roads that broadly  follow height contours at some point where they can finish their journey on foot down the stairways or winding narrow alleys that connect the different levels, they need no closer knowledge of the street plans. But "quick service" couriers and food delivery riders are required to go all the way to a given address, and until the recent wide availability of GSM systems and (in Seoul especially) extensive access to databases of WiFi access point IDs and their locations built into KakaoMap and similar apps, the necessary knowledge had to be built up the hard way, by trial and error, and possessing it gave a rider a big advantage when looking for work.

So at first it seems to make good sense that Kang Su should be doing detailed research into the layout of Seoul's many quarters and their street layouts. Except that doesn't explain why he is obviously determined to take years over it until he's covered the whole city. It's not till the closing part of the episode that we get a first glimpse of the backstory that explains his apparent obsessive restlessness. It appears he's looking for his mother (or "that woman") as we see him as a teenager referring to her despite his father's rebukes. But his father died, and it seems Kang Su, in obedience to his father's last wishes, is on a mission to find the mother he hardly knew but whom he knows is somewhere in Seoul. So, the very behavior that gets him scorned as a homeless, rootless "drifter" is a symptom of a dedicated search for the most basic of roots, and the bedrock of any home, though especially of a Korean one: his mother.

I watched ep 1 mainly because I liked the look of the teasers that KBS has been trailing between other programs for weeks now, but I'm used to finding that such teasers are indeed not much more than a tease. I had fairly low expectation of the actual drama, because I found the PD's previous weekender "The Promise" pretty unimpressive, with competent but rather plodding direction, camerawork and editing that didn't give the cast much chance to show what they could do. However, I found myself re-checking that I hadn't got the PD's name wrong, because all those features here were in a different league, and a framework was being laid down where a good mixture of acting types could all "play off" one another, very impressively so far. I will certainly stick with this drama tomorrow at least.

A mild "health warning" for anyone not used to Kdrama character profiles... These things are drawn up at a fairly early stage in the production process, meaning that the drama as shown may deviate from them to a greater or lesser extent both as regards plot and character. (For example one current KBS drama includes a character profile that sounds rather interesting, but with only 5 episodes left out of 120, that character has never been so much as even mentioned in passing, let alone put in an appearance in the drama as aired.)  So these profiles provide a useful way in to the drama especially in the earlier stages, but it's a mistake to cite them as "gospel" if and when the actual episodes turn out differently

Kang Su's character profile:

Kang Dong Su (played by Go Gyeong Pyu)

(25 years old)  Jajangmyeon delivery rider. Hero of all hard-pressed small business owners!
"I've always been a good guy. But this time round I'm gonna get tough." [The key word here 독해 implies getting rough and unpleasant if need be, the 독 bit being 毒 in Hanja "fierce, cruel, poisonous". Not to be confused with a word possibly more familiar to learners: 독해 or "reading comprehension (test)" where the 독 stands for a totally different Hanja, 讀, "to read / pronounce"]

Five years of roaming the city have made him the champion among delivery riders [a pun on one understanding of his name his name, 強手 though as well as "excellent at his work", those Hanja can also mean "to make a forceful, aggressive moves] A strange guy who never works longer than two months in a single neighborhood. But all the same, in that short time, this oddball gets to know a neighborhood inside out.

His motto, which he cherishes above all else, is "In this precious life, let's be good and kind."

"Live a life of kindness. Ignore what the nasty guys say. Just be kind all your life"  He enshrined those words of his father's in his heart as his father's legacy and came to Seoul to find someone, with no clear idea where to start looking. And he decided to become a delivery rider, so he could go into every single house.

Five years have since elapsed, and by now the number of every single employer of delivery drivers is stored in his cellphone.

Then, at a Chinese restaurant called Ppal Ppal Star he meets his destiny in the shape of a female delivery driver, Dana, a girl of his own age. [팔팔 in the restaurant name could just be 88, a sought after telephone number prefix for delivery services because of the semi-pun on 빨리,빨리 (Hurry, hurry), but it could also be one of the countless Korean onomatopoeic words, this one representing the sound of water boiling in a cooking pot, or a half a dozen other things as well, most of them associated with swiftness or freshness. One thing's for sure, the lady boss is very keen on wordplay. She at first refuses to hire Kang Su because he isn't convulsed by her question as to whether he has a sibling called Yak Su ("mineral water") or one called Mori Su "irrational number"] and so he must be a dullard. But he's not, he's a fast learner, and when she inflicts a further pun on the chef, refusing his offer of a cup of puer tea (boi tea in Korean) by explaining "I'm a girl"  Kang Su promptly pretends to be doubled up in agonising fits of laughter. So, though he doesn't get the job right away, he's allowed to stay until Dana arrives to pass her judgment on him.]  

She's a girl like a hedgehog with a lot of spikes, rushing here there and everywhere to amass enough money to emigrate from "Hellish Old Korea". Through various kinds of incidents and mishaps, they get to know one another and Kang Su gradually comes to fall for her.

A franchise restauraunt chain called Cheong Ga [= "Fixed Price" but it's morphed into "Jeong Family" in the actual drama], backed by huge capital resources, is an offensive sight  in Kang Su's eyes. It wipes out small restaurants that lack resources and aims to dominate commerce in the area. This arouses the anger of the good-hearted Kang Su and he gets drawn into the struggle. He organizes the delivery riders to start a reckless conflict against all the odds. Dana begs him not to get involved in other people's battles, but Kang Su is determined to win this fight. That way he wants Dana to discover that the hope she couldn't find in Korea still exists.

"I'm going to win this fight at all costs. Whatever means I have to use, I'm going to beat them. If only for your sake, Dana!"

Chae Soo Bin And Go Kyung Pyo Answer Wittily To Questions About Possible Romance

chae-soo-bin-go-kyung-pyo1.jpg

Actors Go Kyung Pyo and Chae Soo Bin, who are starring in KBS2’s “Best Delivery Person” together, were guests on the August 4 broadcast of KBS CoolFM’s “Lee Soo Ji’s Song Plaza.”

When asked whether he has ever thought of dating Chae Soo Bin, Go Kyung Pyo answered, “No.” He explained, “I’ve never thought about dating Chae Soo Bin, but the door is always open. She’s really pretty.”

When asked why he said he wouldn’t date Chae Soo Bin, Go Kyung Pyo made everyone laugh by saying, “I did say no because I was afraid that rumors would start.”

Chae Soo Bin also said that she wouldn’t date Go Kyung Pyo. He didn’t seem to like that though, because he then said to her, “Just be nice about it. It looks better if we look close.”

Taken from Soompi

Hello everyone!!! :D

Its been a year i was here and now im back and i cant contain my happiness about this drama. Its so cute and funny:tongue: and i love the leads even the rich boy but he needs to work on his behaviour <_<

Archived