[Drama 2017] Strongest Deliveryman 최강배달꾼

Go Seung Ji

On 8/7/2017 at 11:06 AM, Yongzura said:

Maybe this one, sub not in full yet and fmv :wink:

Instead of threatening to cut people's Internet off for downloading Kdramas, the authorities ought to sever the network connections of people who inflict Mr Google Translator's robotic efforts on fine Kpop songs like this one. I advise watching that clip with eyes tight shut until a human being comes forward to translate it into something less like gibberish.

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, baduy said:

Instead of threatening to cut people's Internet off for downloading Kdramas, the authorities ought to sever the network connections of people who inflict Mr Google Translator's robotic efforts on fine Kpop songs like this one. I advise watching that clip with eyes tight shut until a human being comes forward to translate it into something less like gibberish.

:D Agree to that.  Used to refer to "popgasa" site for the real one.

If it's true, as one blog reports rather evasively, that "Jang Jae In participated in directly writing the lyrics" and if she was also responsible for choosing the title, then I guess we know the culprit behind the lipstick graffiti in the hagwon bathroom, and she'd better watch out when Dana comes after her with her floor mop. Because no-one with the slightest feel for how English works could imagine you could shorten "must have been" to "must have".  "One modal plus one auxiliary doth not an English verb make" as Shakespeare might have said, admittedly on one of his less poetic days.

All the same, here's my slightly more human version.  I could expand on various places where I've had to go out on a limb to get the feel at the price of losing the precise words, and I'm at a loss to find any English equivalent to match the curious feature of Korean which links the word "comfort" to the word "loneliness" which plays quite a big part in the atmosphere of these lyrics, but hey, you just wanna know roughly what the gal's so wistful about, don't you, so read on and sing along, if you must.

Calmly,
below the highway,
I've laid myself down.
The day that's gone by
is borne away
under the passing breeze.

How many solitary tears I've shed,
enduring times like these.
My heart all filled
with things I longed for.
On my desk, that heart's desires
all assembled.
Catching sight of my resigned expression
reflected in a bus window.

It must have been love.
To comfort me this night,
that one and only name,
is all that comes to mind.
It must have been love.
I can achieve nothing,
yet all the same a light shines in my heart,
and it will surely soon flower.
Must have been love.

Calmly
I looked along this road.
All these same anxious faces
make me hesitate.
I fear I may lose everything,
yet it's alright.

REPEAT **

It must have been love
Even in the loneliness
of expecting someone to leave
love is there,
coming into full bloom.
Must have been love.

My usual legal terms and conditions for any naughty girls or boys who steal my translations and post them as their own: BIG BAD BADUY IS WATCHING YOU from up in the Icloud!!!  I'll tell your Daddy and he'll take your Iphone and Ipad away, and then where will you be?

21 hours ago, baduy said:

This sequence is then interleaved with Jin Gyu being beaten and rejected by his supposed father [anyone wondering why I say 'supposed' may have been watching the scene where the two mothers discuss a match between Jin Gyu and Ji Yun while paying too much attention to the subs way down on the screen and not enough the the give-away expressions on Jin Gyu's mother's face], then with Dana telling her brother that he no longer has an elder sister, before telling herself, as much as him, that she no longer has a family, followed by the suicide scene, where on top of the foreground-time leap of Jin Gyu with Dana dragged after him, we also see Dana, five years earlier, on the point of jumping into the river at the exact same spot.

That we are dealing with a plot carefully weaving together various strands of a core theme seems beyond doubt. And all this with lots of laughs, sharp dialogue, great action sequences, and truckloads of eye-candy as well. Could anyone ask for more?

This is very interesting. I did not catch that look (subs) on the face of his Mom when the other suggests he is a chip off the old block (dna), but it would explain a lot, (even why she would even mention the bio connection - links to the plot).  That would make more sense why the father is so brutal with him.  Also the two suicide scenes, having to do with family loss or alienation.

DF subbers are translating "oppa" to "sweetie" depending on who uses the word. When Da-na addresses Kang Soo its "sweetie". Which annoys him because he is told that when she uses that term she doesn't like the person. Then that led the subbers into difficulties because Ji Yun wants to address KS as oppa, and he gets touchy about it. 

I had a suspicion those looks might go unnoticed by people who were busy reading the subtitles to get the verbal meaning and so were missing clues from relatively fleeting facial expressions and body language in the process. This happens rather a lot in Kdramas. I have sometimes half-seriously entertained suggesting that subs should flash on and off in red or something when viewers needed to be warned to look elsewhere on the screen at a particular moment.

The reason why I'm taking this is up is connected with my slight unease about the way that n parts of this thread the initial speculation (which those who first brought it up never claimed was anything more than guesswork) that Kang Su and Ji Yun might be siblings are morphing into a soompi thread factoid.

In my 10 or so years of discussing dramas on soompi I have often seen such speculations, that were indeed recognized as speculations by everyone in early on the thread when they were first brought up, then being taken up by people who join in later and don't read all the previous posts, and repeatedly asserted as established facts even if it later proves that the writer was red-herring trailing. I'm especially cautious in this particular matter because of the way the revelation of Ji Yun's true age was mentioned (an issue that is of course very much impressed on viewers by the ajeosshi / oppa  and jondeamal / banmal bantering between the two).

At first, when Kang Su asks Ji Yun how old she is in episode 1, she tells him the straightforward truth that she's 23. But when he immediately scoffs at that reply, saying she can't fool him, she pretends she's been rumbled, and very cleverly (let's make no mistake, though she likes to appear naive and helpless when it suits her, this young lady has a very shrewd head on her shoulders) she invites him to guess her true age. Obviously very proud of his powers of observation he estimates that she's in her High School junior year (making her 17 "Western" age or 18 Korean age) and she flatters him by pretending to be impressed at how he's seen right through her. She also simpers pseudo-admiringly at his supposed perceptiveness when he remarks that she was silly to expect to pass for 23 when she said she was a "runaway" from home -- the Korean term there being used only for legal minors. It's only in the following episode, when she realizes he's afraid of being accused of seducing a minor, that she decides its time to produce her passport to allay that fear.

But (and here's where I suspect the writer may be up to something) unless we've read her character profile closely, we are inclined to accept at that initial stage that they were born seven years apart, so that when in the first "epilogue" we learn about how Kang Su's mother deserted her husband and son, taking the family cash, and hooked up with a richer guy in Seoul, the birth-secret detector neurons, which are highly developed in the brains of all experienced Kdrama viewers, start to fire energetically and we go looking for a relationships chart. (There ain't one on the KBS site, which is generally sign of one or more birth secrets the writer doesn't want to let us in on just yet: no doubt before long Chinese fans, who seem to have a penchant for these things, will fabricate one based on their own speculations and pass it off as 'official', creating more confusion). But I'd be the first to agree that having the two, unbeknown to each other, as half-siblings would be anything but unusual in this genre.

However, once it's clear in episode 2 that the two are just two years apart in age, the half-sibling speculation, though certainly not ruled out becomes rather more dubious. I guess at some stage, we'll get more backstory that will tell us just when Kang Su's mother deserted her fishefolk family for better things. But it would apparently have to have been when Kang Su was not much older than two.  Would Kang Su, to his father's irritation, refer to his mother as "that woman" if he hadn't seen her since that tender age?  Especially since what little we see of his father makes plain that he's not the sort of man who would bring up a child to despise his own mother, no matter what her conduct had been. That leads me to believe that Kang Su may have been considerably older than two when his mother left, old enough to experience bitter personal disappointment with her and harbor an understandable grudge. But if that's so, it's hard to see how he and a girl so close to him in age could be half siblings.

Still, I have the first stirrings of a pretty off-the-wall speculation of my own here. Let's suppose (and so far we don't actually know even this yet) that Ji Yun's Mama is indeed the fugitive mother of Kang Su. Kdramas being what they are, can we be completely sure that she was Ji Yun's biological mother, even if JY thinks, or assumes unthinkingly, that she is? There are quite a few Kdrama plots where an interloper displaces the existing (or deceased) spouse of a rich guy and brings up his children as her own without those children being any the wiser. That would give Kang Su a good few more years to get to know his Mommy before she upped and left. And in the strange child psychology of Kdramas, where kids below about four all seem to have goldfish-like memory spans, if Ji Yun had been, say, three years old when replacement Mommy arrived, she would soon have accepted her as her real mother, especially if her real mother was long since dead and her Daddy did a bit of lying about Mommy having been "studying in the US" or whatnot.

So now, if anyone's still with with me by this stage, let me connect that to the ostensible topic of this post, that conversation between the two mothers concerning a possible family and company alliance through a Ji Yun - Jin Gyu marriage, because here I think there's a definite hint at a birth secret in the actual drama, though not on Hyeon Ran's side of the table,

Hyeon Ran's expression hardly changes, ever. That's because no cloud of uncertainty or doubt crosses her face. She exudes absolute unfaltering confidence in herself, and in her ability to get everyone else to do just what she wants, as and when she wants it. Unobtrusively, but nonetheless firmly, she is very much in charge of this conversation.

Jeong Suk, by contrast, though she's the social and economic superior of the two by far, as well as being a decade or so older, seems strangely unsure of herself where matters concerning her son Jin Gyu are concerned, despite being otherwise as poised as one expects of a woman of her position. She's the one whose facial expressions bear careful watching in this scene, which is only really possible against a raw, where the sequence begins around 24 minutes in to ep 2. I'll just put in a couple of stills of JS at the key places, but she really needs to be observed in full motion to see what I'm getting at.

I take up the dialogue from the point where Hyeon Ran has taken Jeong Suk aback by suggesting that Ji Yun and Jin Gyu should be formally introduced with a view to marriage.

HR: Why not? Doesn't that suit you? Is our family too insignificant?

JS: Goodness! Of course not! I'm just scared of the consequences for our friendship. I hate to say this of my own son, but he's totally obnoxious.

obnoxious.png

HR: In that case it's time to make a man of him. Do please agree to introduce them. If you do, I'll teach him step by step what business is about.

JS: Business?

business.png

HR: That's right. I'll train him up in business management. I don't think my daughter's that way inclined. Looks like I'll need a son-on-law to hand my company on to.

JS: Well I never! Thanks for thinking so highly of the rascal. I can't say how grateful I am. All the same, I won't hold you to that. The kid really isn't up to it.

HR: He'll do just fine. After all, he's your husband's son. What's in the blood always comes out.

JS: Ah... All the same...

ah1.png

HR: Think it over, please do.

This amounts in my eyes to a hint that there's a bit of a snag about Jin Gyu's "father's blood", and that JS is uneasily aware that in his business-allergic character his father's genes are indeed showing, but they aren't her lawful husband's. But he is her son for all that, and this unexpected chance to get him married off and under the thumb of someone with the will and even the ability to "train" him sorely tempts her.

8 hours ago, baduy said:

My usual legal terms and conditions for any naughty girls or boys who steal my translations and post them as their own: BIG BAD BADUY IS WATCHING YOU from up in the Icloud!!!  I'll tell your Daddy and he'll take your Iphone and Ipad away, and then where will you be?

:blush: Thank you very much for using your precious time translating the song.  Sometimes I do feel like reading an English literature whenever I read your post.  I appreciate it very much.

Guest AlexMao

Do we have any indication (bts or whatnot) on how long Ji Yoon is going to be crashing at the shop? I can't imagine having to sleep sprawled out across a number of chairs is all that comfortable for Kang Soo. Given what we;ve seen of Kang Soo it doesn't seem likely that he'll go barging in on her and wind up sleeping next to her (or that stuffed bear).  

I do like the banter that Dan Ah & Kang Soo share especially after her jumping to the wrong conclusion about him. I for one want the misunderstanding to continue for at least another episode or two just so we can see him squirm a bit.

For the most I've not seen any real issues with the series outside of Jin Gyu, there's only so much arrogance one can take. I'm certainly glad to see his father beat some sense into him.

Heck give me more of the what-are-they-couple Dong Soo & Soon Ae at least with them there is a bit word play and a good laugh.

Woa, the family of second male lead really cancer. They don't care about their child. The scene the father hurt his child.. They never tell him where him go wrong to fix it, but "child jokes". And also the older brother, who maybe send camera to his father. The family is so terrible.
Can he move out this drama fastly (thanks god that happens in next ep) and please friend of male lead don't die. I don't want this drama turn into a dark, revenge drama. Of course, second male lead must paid for his childly.

Am the only totally love second female lead? LOL, she so smart and positive, totally different with second male lead.

11 hours ago, quockhanh45 said:

Woa, the family of second male lead really cancer. They don't care about their child. The scene the father hurt his child.. They never tell him where him go wrong to fix it, but "child jokes". And also the older brother, who maybe send camera to his father. The family is so terrible.
Can he move out this drama fastly (thanks god that happens in next ep) and please friend of male lead don't die. I don't want this drama turn into a dark, revenge drama. Of course, second male lead must paid for his childly.

Am the only totally love second female lead? LOL, she so smart and positive, totally different with second male lead.

I like the 2nd girl lead too and hope the friend who was delayed going to the hospital because of drag race, survives. But lesson learned hopefully for 2nd male lead without a death, so heavy and sad.  

Go Kyung Pyo To Sing His First Ever Solo OST For “Best Delivery Person”

Go-Kyung-Pyo1.jpg

Actor Go Kyung Pyo, currently starring in KBS 2TV’s Friday-Saturday drama “Best Delivery Person,” will be singing his very first solo OST!

His track “La La La” expresses the regretful heart of a man who wants to confess his love to a woman but always ends up getting too nervous. The love song depicts the feelings that his character Choi Kang Soo has for Chae Soo Bin‘s character in the drama.

Best-Delivery-Person-OST.jpg

Go Kyung Pyo will be releasing his OST track on August 9 at 12 p.m. KST through various online music sites.

Taken from soompi's

45 minutes ago, Yongzura said:

Go Kyung Pyo To Sing His First Ever Solo OST For “Best Delivery Person”

Go-Kyung-Pyo1.jpg

His track “La La La” expresses the regretful heart of a man who wants to confess his love to a woman but always ends up getting too nervous. The love song depicts the feelings that his character Choi Kang Soo has for Chae Soo Bin‘s character in the drama.

Taken from soompi's

But...but...but isn't this too soon? i mean the confession of love. There's no indication he loves her or is falling for her. Is that's what's going to happen in the next two episodes? Isnt this too soon, again? 

1 hour ago, aquakhan said:

But...but...but isn't this too soon? i mean the confession of love. There's no indication he loves her or is falling for her. Is that's what's going to happen in the next two episodes? Isnt this too soon, again? 

Ha ha :wink: that is a real spoiler to be expected.  We are not able to see it yet, but it is coming.  

4 hours ago, triplem said:

Any idea what this is about ?

It's a sort of Instagram-borne chain-letter kind of thing. The idea of the "eventeu" (the closest real English word to that Konglish term is usually "campaign") is that you order some food to be delivered, eat it and rinse out the bowl ready for collection. Then you take a photo or video clip of your clean plate and forward it to one of your social media contacts with instructions to do likewise (i.e. order food, eat it, rinse dish, make and forward video). If a "relay chain" you start in this way grows to 20 or more people, you supposedly get a free crash helmet from the show's production company.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, AlexMao said:

Do we have any indication (bts or whatnot) on how long Ji Yoon is going to be crashing at the shop?

The only clue we have about her residential plans is that she assures Kang Su that as soon as she gets her paycheck she'll pay him back for the things he bought her and find herself a 고시원 (gosiwon) to move to.

If anyone's not sure what a gosiwon is, it's sometimes spelled goshiwon to get closer to the actual sound and often translated "student hostel", but there's really nothing equivalent it the West. In fact, the more cramped and windowless versions wouldn't be allowed under housing standards regulations in most Western countries. Here's a good overview in English.   And this Korean-language website is the main online resource for people looking for gosiwon accommodation. You might find some of the pix (each of which is a mini ad for a specific gosiwon) informative. Notice how some of the advertisers won't show the interior of any rooms but just provide shots of the passageways. [To get rid of the popup ad which blocks your view on first arriving, check the box bottom left of the popup then click the button bottom right of it.]

However,  Kang Su doesn't plan to wait on that first paycheck. Or at least he didn't until more pressing matters took his attention away from removing his "upstairs secret". He was trying to break into Ji Yun's phone, presumably to get her parents' number and rat on her. But then the call came in on his own phone telling him about HS's accident and he rushes off to the hospital.

On 8/8/2017 at 3:02 PM, AlexMao said:

I do like the banter that Dan Ah & Kang Soo share especially after her jumping to the wrong conclusion about him. I for one want the misunderstanding to continue for at least another episode or two just so we can see him squirm a bit.

We can get an inkling of how this may develop if we consider two unfailing assumptions in mainstream Korean network dramas (things are a little different on cable stations, and a whole lot different in Korean movies)

1. Cross-dressers are always gay or lesbian.
2. There is no such thing as bisexuality.

Taken together these assumptions mean that although Dana is on her guard against any man who might divert her from her emigration schedule, for as long as she thinks Kang Su is a cross-dresser, she'll assume he's gay and feel quite certain he will never fall for her, so she can allow herself to develop "sisterly feelings" for him. Hence trouble ahead.

This is of course reminiscent of the plot of Personal Taste, though in that case we need to bring in a third rule

3. Gay men are identifiable by a mincing gait, limp wrists, ultra-camp ways of talking, wearing pink shirts, calling women slightly older than they are "Eonni", and exclaiming "Omo!!" at least once in every other sentence.

Of course, the point in Personal Taste is that Jin Ho isn't gay at all, but he's an ambitious young architect who wants at all costs to get inside the house Gae In's father built so he can ferret out the secrets of its unique design and maybe discover the original blueprints (though Gae In herself doesn't know where her father hid those.)  But he can only get her to accept him in as a lodger by exploiting assumption #3 so that, convinced he's gay and therefore "safe", Gae In (who's as determined to avoid romantic attachment as Dana is, though for different reasons) takes him in and allows herself to grow fonder and fonder of him.

5 hours ago, triplem said:

Any luck with the  second OST  @Yongzura @aquakhan @0ly40? I found this but I can't play it...:huh:

SME have machine-gunned themselves in both feet by trying to set geolocation restrictions on this video and (I think accidentally, though I could think of a ruder word) managed to restrict it to Japan.

No doubt they'll see the light before long, but in the meantime, try this

But if that link disappears, too, you'll know that SME really did intend to exclude most of the planet...

At the risk of attracting hate messages, I venture to remark that I can't honestly say this song is something it would be hard to live without.

For those who can see the video (whoever posted the version @Oly40 has now linked to to TY managed to conceal the internal "binary fingerprint" of the original, so that one should work in most or all countries till SME gets it taken down) I have some rather bad news: if you were hoping the lyrics would be better than the tune, well... judge for yourselves

Wanting to see you real soon, I'm running
La la Lallallalla
Do you know my heart is pounding and quivering?
La La Lallallslla
There in the distance I can hear
the happy sounds of you and your friends
but I can't say a single word.
Yet another day passes,
and with nothing but the sight of you laughing,
I make my way home.

Day in day out I'm always thinking just of you
La la Lallallalla
Shall I confess my love, do you know my heart is quivering?
La la Lallallalla

but yet again I can't say a single word.
I've bashfully prepared a gift for you
But floating like a cloud in the sky
She knows nothing of it.

Wanting to say "I love you"
sets me quivering and feeling good,
how long will I, like a fool,
lallallala lallallal llala lalla

but I can't say a single word.
Yet another day passes,
and with nothing but the sight of you laughing,