[Reality Show] Youn's Kitchen 윤식당 - S1 at Gili Trawangan Lombok, S2 at Garachico on Tenerife ~ waiting for Season 3!

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since Jung Yumi is filming Live and Park Seo Jun was just cast in a new drama, I'm hoping they start filming Season 3 at the end of the year, like they did in Season 2 (they started filming in November right?). So we can get a good show at the beginning of 2019.

And I hope they keep Seo Jun. I seriously love his work ethic. He looks like a guy who always wants to do his best in everything he does.

Also, I'm bummed that it was only him who went to the cool spot in the mountains. I was kind of hoping all four of them would go.

Final episode this week.. means that Season 2 will end at episode 10, just one episode more than Season 1 (9 eps). BooHoo! :wacko: Looks like the final episode is still in Garachico, serving the Sunday's last dishes to the customers. Can't help pity the female customer in ep. 9 who came for a reservation on the coming Sunday only to find out that they're already on the last day.

Still.. it's a huge team going to Garachico, with 45 people altogether (including the cast and Na PD presumably), to stay longer would mean an even huge budget to continue another day to be there. Obviously there're a lot of (unseen) footage but we'll only get 10 episodes. Like Season 1, they probably doesn't show what happened behind the scenes. The production had renovated the restaurant and now the original owner (Nuria) will keep the current layout.

Anyway, the English subs for episode 8 will be available this Friday, at least that (plus eps 9-10 later) will keep us watching Youn's Kitchen longer. Sure hope the season 3 will be filmed at the end of the year. Wonder if they'd open up business at a colder location (like the Swiss Alps, maybe) as opposed to the warm beach spots in S1 & S2. :lol:

Photo: tvN @tvn_joy

27575037_171861863589104_6317582350486077440_n.jpg

Going to miss them!

27575115_201520897250989_3339719337614245888_n.jpg

On 3/14/2018 at 9:14 PM, mizuchan said:

This season was really fun to watch. How many days were they actually in Garachico?

If I remember correctly, they started on Saturday and ended the business the next Sunday. If the Google gist of the Spanish article is correct, it mentioned they rented the restaurant for a week but the team would likely have been there much earlier to renovate & prepare Youn's Kitchen from scratch (probably why they had a lot of crew for the preparation) and they also brought a lot of stuff from Korea... the authentic foodstuff as well as the utensils, etc. Only the cast arrived two days before the actual opening.

The cast may have spent a few days more in Garachico after Sunday.. and went to visit places. Unless the last episode showed this, we'd never know. But sometimes, due to other work commitment, they (or whomever affected) might just return home straightway. Like GOF when the halbaes cut short their trip. But Youn's Kitchen, they sure needed the 4 of them till the very end. ^_^ Especially when the customers were coming in full mode during the last weekend. It's only when it's almost over that everyone came rushing in and wanted to get a taste of their dishes.

The Season 2 definitely showed a whole lot more to Youn's Kitchen compared to Season 1, a lot more interaction with the customers and food challenges & improvisation. Sometimes it even felt like it's not a reality show but a long-term business venture to serve Korean dishes, undeniably the cast had also pushed themselves a lot especially during the peak hours. Not to say there aren't any flaws, there're certainly some things that could have been better featured but it's also probably (my own) personal pet peeves at this point .

In Season 1, there's the on-site demolition going on.. while in Season 2, I think the most dramatic was when they messed up the orders. It seemed a pretty simple situation but it got worse by the minute, luckily everyone handled it positively by the end of the day (the PDs would definitely step in for damage-control when necessary). We only see what each episode showed us and not more. Hopefully, when Season 3 comes, it'll be better featured, more great dishes and perhaps more cast. Yu-mi is definitely qualified to take over from Chef Youn if needed, it'll be great if she has an assistant as well.

13 hours ago, rubie said:

Yu-mi is definitely qualified to take over from Chef Youn if needed, it'll be great if she has an assistant as well

I felt really bad for Youn Yuh Jung especially when the chefs came. She had to cook all afternoon, no one to take over. Like, we never really saw her enjoy Garachico and tour or something (although I'm not sure if she's interested at all in touring). I hope they add more staff, maybe one or two. I mean, Kang's Kitchen had five right? I was hoping some days, Youn can get to relax and just simply welcome the guests, while someone takes over. Other days, she'd be the one cooking. I was also hoping Yumi could also interact with the guests.

Oooh, and I was hoping they'd show clips of what the cast did at night? They went out right? I hope they show snippets of them doing non-restaurant related stuff in Garachico.

2 hours ago, lollyminx said:

I felt really bad for Youn Yuh Jung especially when the chefs came. She had to cook all afternoon, no one to take over. Like, we never really saw her enjoy Garachico and tour or something (although I'm not sure if she's interested at all in touring). I hope they add more staff, maybe one or two. I mean, Kang's Kitchen had five right? I was hoping some days, Youn can get to relax and just simply welcome the guests, while someone takes over. Other days, she'd be the one cooking. I was also hoping Yumi could also interact with the guests.

Oooh, and I was hoping they'd show clips of what the cast did at night? They went out right? I hope they show snippets of them doing non-restaurant related stuff in Garachico.

While it was a big achievement to have a big crowd of customers, having the group of chefs (& friends ++) was definitely overestimating YK's ability running the reality-show restaurant business. They reserved for 8 but came with 5 extra people! That was really nerve-wrecking, the look on LSJ's face was evident. :sweatingbullets: Of course, in the end, the team still managed to handle everything successfully. But they really really pushed themselves to the limits during the Friday episode. I agree that YYJ had to cook non-stop for the customers, she was so hungry when the customers left. Yu-mi helped a lot but she herself has to keep everything else in the kitchen together for YYJ. While the hall servers had to wash the dishes themselves, usually there will be someone doing just the dishes in normal restaurants. Even with Seo-jun's past experiences, there's only so much one person can handle. :sweatingbullets:

I think only in the earlier days that they (Seo-jun & Yu-mi) went out for drinks. But after that when business starts picking up, maybe they're too tired to go out, not to mention having to improvise & prepare the dishes for the next day. They should have an entire episode for the unseen footage (during the preparation), some of the customers were not featured and things that happened that viewers may not expect.. bloopers, maybe? Maybe it'll all be shown in the last episode instead. Tomorrow. :mellow:

9 hours ago, rubie said:

If I remember correctly, they started on Saturday and ended the business the next Sunday. If the Google gist of the Spanish article is correct, it mentioned they rented the restaurant for a week but the team would likely have been there much earlier to renovate & prepare Youn's Kitchen from scratch (probably why they had a lot of crew for the preparation) and they also brought a lot of stuff from Korea... the authentic foodstuff as well as the utensils, etc. Only the cast arrived two days before the actual opening.

The cast may have spent a few days more in Garachico after Sunday.. and went to visit places. Unless the last episode showed this, we'd never know. But sometimes, due to other work commitment, they (or whomever affected) might just return home straightway. Like GOF when the halbaes cut short their trip. But Youn's Kitchen, they sure needed the 4 of them till the end. ^_^ Especially when the customers were coming in full mode during the last weekend. It's only when it's almost over that everyone wanted to get a taste of their dishes.

The Season 2 definitely showed a whole lot more to Youn's Kitchen compared to Season 1, a lot more interaction with the customers and food challenges & improvisation. Sometimes it even felt like it's not a reality show but a long-term business venture to serve Korean dishes, undeniably the cast had also pushed themselves a lot especially during the peak hours. Not to say there aren't any flaws, there're certainly some things that could have been better featured but it's also probably (my own) personal pet peeves at this point .

In Season 1, there's the on-site demolition going on.. while in Season 2, I think the most dramatic was when they messed up the orders. It seemed a pretty simple situation but it got  worse by the minute, luckily everyone handled it positively by the end of the day (the PDs would definitely step in for damage-control when needed). Well, we only see what each episode showed us and not more. Hopefully, when Season 3 comes, it'll be better featured, more great dishes and perhaps more cast. Yu-mi is definitely qualified to take over from Chef Youn if needed, it'll be great if she has an assistant as well.

They seemed to have ate out in Barcelona so they may have flown in and stayed over a night before heading to the airport for a connecting flight to Tenerife the next day.  Na PD may have wanted to break the journey up for the older cast members. The longer life food stuffs and utensils were most likely shipped by courier as the crew would have all the expensive film and sound equipment to carry.  The restaurant decor was like the previous season were they tried to blend in with the local style, customers were probably expecting something more Korean but it makes sense to keep the decor as close to the local style when they have to hand the restaurant back after a week.

I thought this season was more interesting, the setting in a town/village worked better than the beach resort.  They had more interactions with foreigners in and outside work which seems to be what fascinates Koreans lately.   Shows like Seoulmate, Friendly Driver, Welcome to Korea and Wizard of Nowhere all appeal to Koreans fascination with the interactions of foreigners with Koreans and Korean culture.  The show hardly showed any of the Korean diners when the restaurant got busier as the week went on.  

I agree they need more cast and a wider menu for Season 3. Just some food ideas:  BBQ(probably cost too much to refit a dining area and then undo do), side dishes(except the bracken), dessert choice, Korean booze like Soju and Makgeolli which would bring in extra sponsorship for the show.  Of course they need a professional kitchen equipment setup if the menu is to expand, Lee Seo Jin was envious of the Spanish restaurants kitchen equipment.  

The show is about bringing Korean food experience to people but its also about leaving the high pressure faster faster lifestyle of Korea and living life at a slower pace.  They could include more local area sightseeing on the quieter days of business and more local culture.  Have members of the cast try local sports or traditions.  With a greater cast they could have more leisure time and perhaps have different shifts.  Sous Chef Yu Mi could do a lunch service and Executive Chef Youn could do evening service and have a new kitchen helper for each.

If they want to stay in Europe(it offers many safe and interesting filming locations) for next season as I said before they may have to film season 3 earlier otherwise November can be a dreary wet month.  Not ideal viewing for Koreans looking some sun when shivering through a Korean Winter.  Some places that I think will work well would be Portugal, Malta, Corsica, South of France, Sardinia, West of Ireland or Scotland, Belgium(Bruges), Sweden, Norway, Cyprus. The show may want to keep away from locations that were in recent K variety broadcasts or in past Na PD shows.   Or maybe PD NA will try out a new continent like Africa,  Morocco could be a good spot, great weather in November.  

12 hours ago, rubie said:

Photo: tvN @tvn_joy

Highlights from Episode 9 ~

Haha I do not get why there's a Michelin man in the photo.

8 hours ago, gerry124 said:

I thought this season was more interesting, the setting in a town/village worked better than the beach resort.

Yes, definitely! I love that it's set in a small village. I'm really hoping it will be a similar setting in Season 3. Also, I love that they had cameras all over the village. Unlike in Season 1 where you can only watch the restaurant. What an awesome staff right? I mean, they evolve and make improvements in their show. By installing cameras everywhere, we can also watch how locals live.

8 hours ago, gerry124 said:

They had more interactions with foreigners in and outside work which seems to be what fascinates Koreans lately.   Shows like Seoulmate, Friendly Driver, Welcome to Korea and Wizard of Nowhere all appeal to Koreans fascination with the interactions of foreigners with Koreans and Korean culture. 

And I agree. I also found this fascinating. I love that they're big Hallyu stars who get to interact with ordinary and not so ordinary (i.e. former minister of denmark, a Ukrainian blogger) people. I particularly enjoyed the scenes where the guests realized that the waiter serving them is a popular actor. :lol: Can you imagine the guests going home to Google Youn's kitchen and find YYJ's bio for example and then watch The Bacchus Lady or something? It's daebak.

8 hours ago, lollyminx said:

Haha I do not get why there's a Michelin man in the photo.

And I agree. I also found this fascinating. I love that they're big Hallyu stars who get to interact with ordinary and not so ordinary (i.e. former minister of denmark, a Ukrainian blogger) people. I particularly enjoyed the scenes where the guests realized that the waiter serving them is a popular actor. :lol: Can you imagine the guests going home to Google Youn's kitchen and find YYJ's bio for example and then watch The Bacchus Lady or something? It's daebak.

LOL.. I was puzzled at first too.. then realized it's saying how many have thought that YYJ is a Michelin Star Chef.. someone like, Gordon Ramsay. If not mistaken, the neighbour who came with her husband on day two even called YYJ as Korea's Gordon Ramsay. She said she'll return to eat again at Youn's Kitchen before the show ends but didn't see her (yet). Perhaps, in the last episode but looks like it's already a full house. Only the florist and her husband came again, coming at dinner time seems more practical for them. She wasn't sure of Korean food the first time around, only her hubby ate a lot.. the second time, they ordered almost everything on the menu. :lol:

Hahaa indeed.. when they found out that YYJ is a famous actress with impressive filming background. Who would have thought, an actual movie star in the kitchen dishing out all that delicious food!

Not the finale yet! One more episode next week ~ the director's cut! :w00t: It appeared like they packed up and left for Korea the next day after closing the restaurant in Garachico, this week's episode doesn't show behind the scenes stuff.. the team were continuously cooking and serving the whole time, non-stop customers on the last day. :sweatingbullets:

March 16, 2018

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” Wraps Up With Final Episode Scoring Highest Ratings In Time Slot

Source: Soompi by J. Lim

Youns-Kitchen-2-11.jpg

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” has wrapped up a season of warm laughs and healing for viewers. The last episode aired on March 16 and showed the cast opening their restaurant for their last day.

According to Nielsen Korea, episode 10 of “Youn’s Kitchen” scored nationwide ratings of 13.4 percent and peaked at 16.2 percent in real-time ratings. The show topped its time slot, as SBS’s “Law of the Jungle in Patagonia” scored 9.7 percent and 11.8 percent, MBC’s “Insolent Housemates” had ratings of 2.4 percent, and KBS 2TV’s “VJ Special Unit” scored 3.6 percent.

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” set a new ratings record for tvN variety shows. Starting strong with 14.1 percent on January 5, the show broke the record for the highest ratings for a tvN variety show in only its second episode with 14.8 percent. The show kept breaking its own record, peaking at 16 percent in average ratings and peaking at 19.4 percent in real-time ratings in its fifth episode. The second season built upon the popularity of the first season, which started off at 6.2 percent and peaked at 14.1 percent, ending at 11.6 percent.

Youns-Kitchen-22.jpg

The production staff stated, “Most of the guests who visited the restaurant were locals who had never eaten Korean food before. We want to thank the people of Garachicho for enjoying Korean food and warmly welcoming the cast of ‘Youn’s Kitchen 2.’ We were very happy with the positive response we received from the local community, and it reaffirmed our pride for Korean food,” and “We would also like to thank the viewers and their positive words for our show.”

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” will be airing a final director’s cut episode on March 23 at 9:50 p.m. KST that takes viewers behind the scenes of the show.

Source (1) (2)

19 hours ago, rubie said:

Not the finale yet! One more episode next week ~ the director's cut! :w00t:

OMG YAY! A director's cut! So excited for this.

I watched episode 10 raw. I LOVE the pretty girl who just didn't GAF and just ate the galbi using her hands. She also licked her fingers!! I love her. Also, the old woman with red hair wearing a leather jacket. What a rebel right?

I wasn't expecting to be a little emotional, and all "awwwwww" like when they said goodbye to the chefs in the other restaurant (also, while watching the dad was playing with his daughter, and blowing to cool the chicken before feeding her).

I know it's still too early but I'm already sooooo excited for Season 3.

The English subs for Episode 9 is out.. but

can someone help me..:sweatingbullets:

Spoiler

Had downloaded it like the previous eps but there's no file to extract in the folder. :huh:

Is it just me or anyone else with the same problem? 

Hopefully someone could send/share the SRT file with me via PM.

Thanks in advance, so very much!

Oh @lollyminx.. you're a life-saver! I get to keep and watch ep9 later with subs! Mwah! :lol:

Also the Michelin thingy, thanks to the English subs, it seems that after all the extremely amazing feedback, the team happily jokes about applying a Michelin Star for Youn's Kitchen. Well, who knows, right! :D

Spoiler

Thank you so much for mentioning the streaming site with the subbed episode. At times, we can't really remember everything. ^_^ I don't usually watch streaming (unless there's no choice), but you've given out a great tip. From past experience, because it's not a drama series, tvN's reality shows (TMAD, GOF etc) were seldom shared on streaming sites. But good to see that things have changed, all we have to do is look around a little harder. Truly appreciate the tip, it's a simple mention but helps a lot!

A previous article also mentioning Youn's Kitchen. Not only they're promoting Korean dishes and products, the eating utensil & kitchenware especially have gained a lot of interest as well. pancake.gif

March 6, 2018

Brass makes a bold tabletop statement : Traditional dishware, once only used for formal occasions, has become popular with younger buyers thanks to social media

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

05201327.jpg

A sample table top featuring modern-style brassware which goes well with serving pasta. [NOSHI]

With more attention falling on cooking at home or how to better introduce Korean food to foreigners, brassware has become a popular choice. 

The love of brassware seems to have grown thanks to the popular TV program “Youn’s Kitchen 2,” where Korean celebrities cook for locals on Tenerife island in Spain. Those who watched the show have been heading out to buy brassware, known as notgeureut or yugi in Korean, to put into their homes. The sales of some dishes made by Notdam have more than tripled at some department stores. 

Although the show increased the popularity of the light gold dishware, the trend of using brassware seems to have started early last year. You can find around 5,200 posts under the hashtag “yugi”, and more than 4,500 pictures of notgeureut on Instagram. The tableware, commonly used for weddings and traditional holidays, has found a way to become a daily household item. 

Its charm is easy to see in person. The brassware plates give off a golden gleam from their subtle glossy surface. In the last year, the distinct color has attracted global fashion houses as well. Italian fashion brand Max Mara held an exhibition on coats at Dongdaemun Design Plaza last year, where it also unveiled a product inspired by traditional brassware. The gold-colored lining of the coat was inspired by notgeureut, said Ian Griffiths, the creative director of Max Mara who designed the coat. 

Newly designed plates and bowls that go well with Western-style food and desserts such as pasta, salad, and cake have helped brassware appeal to a wider range of customers. Until recently, since the dishware was mostly used to serve food at ancestral rituals, there weren’t many designs to choose from. 

These days, stores that sell brassware and cafes that use the distinct dishes to serve food are popping up throughout Seoul. 

“I wanted to show people who think of the dishes exclusively for traditional rituals that there can be more variety,” said Kim Sun-young, who opened Noshi in Jongno, central Seoul, where she serves food on brass plates and bowls. The eatery also houses a gallery and a shop. 

The work of many millennial designers have also contributed in making brassware popular. Furniture designer Song Seung-yong collaborated with artisan Lee Jong-Oh to create a cutlery collection called “La Lune” for home goods store Seoulbund. Park Chan-ho, CEO of Seoulbund, who arranged the collaboration said he couldn’t introduce brassware until recently because the designs were not very competitive. Designer Song took design motifs from the different shapes of the moon: the spoon was inspired by the full moon and the knife was inspired by a half-moon.

05201343.jpg
1. Dishes and cutlery made from brass, known as notgeureut or yugi in Korean. 2. A lacquered yugi plate made by Notdam. 3. A yugi bowl from the brand Noshi. 4. A brass bowl made by Notdam that was featured on the TV program “Youn’s Kitchen 2.”[NOTDAM, SEOULBUND]

Spoiler

Cho Ki-sang, CEO of the design group Fenomeno, has introduced brassware with different finishes. Some are glossy or matte while others have a lacquered surface. He also made smaller-sized dishes as he thinks people eat less rice these days than they did in the past. 

His products are also lighter than those that are traditionally used, a welcome feature for those who shied away from brassware in the past because it was too heavy. 

Craftsman Moon Chae-hoon began his own shop Damun, which sells lacquered yugi. 

With the increasing number of new designs, younger people are becoming more interested in buying brassware for their own kitchens. They choose it to decorate their tabletops so that they can take a photo and upload it to social media. 

“The trend of showing off one’s dining table has gained popularity thanks to the hashtag ‘onthetable,’” said Kim Ja-yeong, a dishware buyer for Hyundai Department Store’s living team. 

“Modern brassware looks good serving not only Korean food but also fruit or desserts, so those in their 30s and 40s who want to differentiate [their style] are drawn to it as well.”

Greater exposure on social media has inspired others to head out to stores for a purchase. 

“It looks like people have begun to [realize] that brassware isn’t outdated and boring, but a way they can decorate their table and [make it look] more modern,” said Ji Hee-jeong, manager of Notdam. 

While people used to buy a whole set of brassware with different sizes of plates and bowls, younger customers go for individual pieces based on their needs, as buying a whole set is too expensive. 

Prices differ depending on the brand, but on average, a spoon and chopsticks set ranges from 20,000 ($18.48) to 60,000 won. Small round plates start at 50,000 won and bowls that are big enough for serving rice dishes like bibimbap, or mixed rice, cost around 100,000 won. Buyer Kim Ja-yeong added that most popular choices among customers is cutlery and individual plates. 

Although it comes with a hefty price tag, brassware has proven to be versatile and can be mixed and matched with all types of dishware in the kitchen. 

“Brassware goes well with porcelain and glassware,” said food stylist Mun In-yeong. “Instead of only using brassware, you can make a more charming tabletop when you combine it with plates made out of other materials.”

BY SONG JEONG [sung.jieun@joongang.co.kr]

Published on March 20, 2018 by tvN

YOUN′S KITCHEN 180323 EP.11 Preview: Behind-the-Scenes.. finally released!

YOUN′S KITCHEN 180323 EP.11 Behind-the-Scene: The Unfinished Japchae Situation?

Archived