[Reality Show] Youn's Kitchen 윤식당 - S1 at Gili Trawangan Lombok, S2 at Garachico on Tenerife ~ waiting for Season 3!

The President of YOUN'S KITCHEN cooking.gif

January 20, 2018

There’s no stopping Youn Yuh-jung :

The veteran actor has become a hit with recent roles in film and TV

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

19215930.jpg
[JOONGANG ILBO, CJ ENTERTAINMENT, TVN]

Actor Youn Yuh-jung is 70, but her age hasn’t held her back from success. 

The recent comedy flick, “Keys to the Heart,” in which Youn plays the mother of two sons, and the second season of tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen,” a reality program where she shows off her cooking skills, have both been well-received, topping box office charts and seeing high viewership ratings. 

Despite being one of the hottest names in entertainment these days, Youn remains hard on herself, calling her acting in the film “a failure.” Being able to objectively analyze and criticize her work regardless of her long career, industry insiders say, is what makes her a true talent who deserves the limelight. 

Ilgan Sports, an affiliate of the Korea JoongAng Daily, recently interviewed Youn. The following are edited excerpts.

Q. You had to learn how to speak a new dialect for the film, “Keys to the Heart.” Was it difficult? 

A. It was my first time to play a character who uses a Gyeongsang dialect. At first, I didn’t think it would be this difficult, but it was a real challenge to make it sound realistic. I received dialect training and literally lived with my teacher for three months, but I still sounded so awkward in the film. I realized that you can never sound like a native no matter how hard you practice, unless you are born with that tongue. 

When I watched the movie, I was so embarrassed because I know I don’t sound like someone native to the region. But what can I do? I can’t shoot it again. 

Is that why you say your acting in this film is a failure? 

I’m not calling this work a failure. That’s just how I judge myself. Audiences can still be totally absorbed in the film by watching the skilled acting from two veteran actors, Lee Byung-hun and Park Jung-min. I’m just a woman supporting them. 

You weren’t so generous when you graded yourself in the film, but the role you play is quite important, isn’t it? 

If [the audience] thinks so, I am more than thankful. But I personally think people speak highly of my acting because of my age. I try not to take such praise word for word, as it is difficult for them - especially younger actors - to be truthful and give me objective feedback. So I try not to get too excited after hearing compliments. 

Back in the day, you were mostly active on the silver screens. But in recent years, from tvN’s reality program “Noona Over Flowers” to “Youn’s Kitchen,” you have appeared in many of producer Na Young-seok’s reality programs. What’s the charm? 

When I watched “Noona Over Flowers” for the first time, I was stunned. I’ve always had that elegant “actress” image, but through the program, people saw me smelling my own socks and wearing them again the next day. 

I immediately called Producer Na and complained for making me look so dirty. But he told me that he deliberately included that scene because he wanted to show a more down-to-earth side of me. I couldn’t disagree. 

You have been acting for 53 years. What is your biggest concern at the moment?

I try not to fall into mannerisms. I worry that I might tire audiences by always playing similar characters in similar settings. That is why I challenged myself to appear as a mother speaking a dialect because I’ve never played that kind of role before. 

What is it like to get to enjoy the second phase of your heyday? Did you expect it? 

What worries me now is that I might die early because I’m overworking at age 70 (laughs).

Appearing on reality programs was not in my plans. It’s fun but it’s not easy. You have to be in front of the camera for 14 hours straight, just to produce an hour-long program for viewers to watch. 

I have come to highly respect entertainers like Yu Jae-seok and Kang Ho-dong who appear on several of those reality programs per week. I thought that appearing on entertainment programs would be like just playing, but it wasn’t like that at all. 

When do you see yourself leaving this industry? 

These days people live well over 100. Although I don’t want to live until that age, I want to continue acting as long as I can. Actors usually retire from the broadcasting world when they reach 58 - at least that’s the average I heard. But I wish it could be higher. I heard the best way to meet one’s death is while they are doing what they love doing in their lives. 

BY PARK JUNG-SUN [hong.youkyoung@joongang.co.kr]

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

January 20, 2018

Ukrainian Blogger From “Youn’s Kitchen 2” Reveals Why She Was Surprised by Yoon Yeo Jung

Source: Soompi by  S. Park

Yoon-Yeo-Jung11.jpg

On the second episode of tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen 2,” Ukrainian blogger Marina Goncharenko and her husband were customers of the restaurant.

After the couple ate and took photos of the restaurant and food, they revealed that the female customer was a blogger and requested to interview Yoon Yeo Jung.

Marina Goncharenko uploaded photos and a blog entry in December 2017 about her “Youn’s Kitchen” experience. She began, “I was politely told that they were filming a Korean television program. The filming was not a factor that stopped us from dining.”

She continued, “There were only three main menu items, along with snacks and dessert.” The blogger noted, “All of the employees were Korean, but there weren’t any props or interior designs inside of the restaurant that looked Korean.”

Yoon-Yeo-Jung1.jpg

Marina Goncharenko also shared her interview with Yoon Yeo Jung where she revealed more about herself and the show. The actress explained, “I am actually not a chef, but a Korean actress. All of the employees are actors. This project is to show how we provide service and cook in a restaurant in a foreign place and how we deal with difficulties.” She also mentioned that this was the second season after the successful run of the first season in Bali.

The blogger wrote that she was shocked after searching Yoon Yeo Jung’s name on the internet. She said, “She was a very famous actress with 40 years of experience. It was memorable how humble and caring she was. I am happy and grateful I was able to meet her.”

She added, “Don’t be afraid to try new things. It could lead you to be a fun experience.”

Source (1) (2)

January 22, 2018

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” And “Kang’s Kitchen” Top Content Power Index Rankings For 2nd Consecutive Week

Source: Soompi by A. Kim

Youns-Kitchen-2-Kangs-Kitchen.jpg

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” and “Kang’s Kitchen” are continuing to impress with their popularity!

On January 22, Good Data Corporation released the Content Power Index (CPI) rankings for the second week of January 2018 (January 8 to 14), with tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen 2” taking the top spot.

The Content Power Index ranks TV shows based on their overall popularity and influence on consumer behavior. Factors such as the number of searches, news subscriptions, and social media buzz are analyzed to determine the rankings.

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” earned a total of 247 points, while “Kang’s Kitchen” followed closely behind with 238.1 points. “Kang’s Kitchen” and “Youn’s Kitchen 2” came in first and second place the previous week.

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” aired its first episode on January 5, which recorded a great 14.1 percent in viewership ratings. The second and third episodes have achieved over 14 percent viewership as well, and the show has consistently been taking first place in its time slot.

The top 10 shows ranked by CPI for the second week of January are as follows:

1. “Youn’s Kitchen 2” (tvN)
2. “Kang’s Kitchen” (tvN)
3. “Infinite Challenge” (MBC)
4. “Insolent Housemates” (MBC)
5. “My Golden Life” (MBC)
6. “Prison Playbook” (tvN)
7. “Happy Together” (KBS2)
8. “Running Man” (SBS)
9. “Radio Star” (MBC)
10. “The Unit” (KBS)

Spoiler

Content-Rankings.jpg

Source (1) (2)

January 22, 2018

Koreans Choose Their Favorite TV Programs Of January

Source: Soompi by D. Kim

My-Golden-Life-Ask-Us-Anything-Infinite-Challenge-Youns-Kitchen-2.jpg

Gallup Korea has released the results of their survey to determine Korea’s favorite TV programs of January!

The research company polled 1,004 Korean men and women aged 19 and older from January 16 to 18, asking them which TV program they’ve been enjoying these days. Each respondent was allowed to write up to two answers.

KBS 2TV’s “My Golden Life” came in first with 8.5 percent of the votes, topping the list for the third month in a row. MBC’s “Infinite Challenge” followed up with 6.7 percent of the votes, taking second place for two consecutive months.

Check out the top 10 TV programs below:

1. “My Golden Life” (KBS 2TV)
2. “Infinite Challenge” (MBC)
3. “Youn’s Kitchen 2” (tvN)
4. “War of Words” (JTBC)
5. “Prison Playbook” (tvN)
6. “I Live Alone” (MBC)
7. “My Ugly Duckling” (SBS)
8. “2 Days & 1 Night” (KBS 2TV)
9. “Ask Us Anything” (JTBC)
10. “Money Flower” (MBC)

Spoiler

January-shows.jpg

Source (1) (2)

January 23, 2018

Reality shows start spinning off : Some sequels even surpass the originals in terms of viewership

Source: INSIDE Korea JoongAng Daily

22213139.jpg

Clockwise from the top left are scenes from “Kang’s Kitchen,” “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Baek Jong-won’s Food Truck” and “Baek Jong-won’s Food Alley.” [SCREEN CAPTURES]

Based on attempts in the past, sequels to television series rarely outperform the originals. But two shows have bucked that trend: tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen” and “Kang’s Kitchen.”

The second season of “Youn’s Kitchen,” which revolves around local celebrities running a small restaurant on an island in a foreign country, set a new record for a reality show with a surprising 14.8 percent viewership rate, according to the research firm Nielson Korea. That exceeded the 14.2 percent rate it achieved in February 2015 with “Three Meals a Day: Fishing Village.”

The 8.3 percent viewership rate for tvN’s “Kang’s Kitchen,” a spinoff of “New Journey to the West,” also outperformed the original’s 5.1 percent. Even though “Kang’s Kitchen” and “Youn’s Kitchen” share a similar format, they both went over well with viewers. 

As with movie spinoffs, reality shows that borrow formats from earlier shows have increased over the past months. 

Following the success of “Kang’s Kitchen,” fans are calling for seasonal spinoffs so it can run throughout the year. 

“I was certain that [the spinoff of ‘New Journey to the West’] would be completely different from the existing entertainment programs,” said producer Na Young-seok, who is also behind “Youn’s Kitchen.” “Since celebrities from ‘New Journey to the West’ were more used to playing games, I wanted to test how they would react when they shoot a reality show.”

Thanks to the success of “Kang’s Kitchen,” “New Journey to the West,” which started as a web reality show before going on air, has attracted more fans. It is now planning a fifth season although the specific release date has yet to be announced.

For reality show spinoffs to succeed, it is crucial to maintain some familiarity while adding fresh elements. “The relationships of the ‘Kang’s Kitchen’ members was already established, so we didn’t have to pick a restaurant located abroad. On the other hand, ‘Youn’s Kitchen’ had a clear concept of opening a Korean restaurant abroad, and therefore, all we could change were location, celebrities and menus,” said Na. The second season of “Youn’s Kitchen” takes place in Garachico, Spain with a new cast member (Park Seo-jun) and new menus. Another change was the interior of the new restaurant, which has a very a different ambience from the diner in Gili Trawangan, Indonesia, in the first season. 

In the new season, Park shows his efforts to properly serve customers and to study Spanish, while the chemistry among other cast members - Youn Yuh-jung, Jung Yu-mi, Lee Seo-jin - was already established in the first season.

The image of celebrities is often established by entertainment programs. But recently it has worked the other way around, with entertainment shows relying on celebrities’ already established images to launch reality show franchises. 

Cooking guru Baek Jong-won, who started on television with SBS’ 2015 reality show “Baek Jong-won’s Top 3 Chef King,” generated a series of other shows revolving around him. “Baek Jong-won’s Food Truck,” which wrapped in December, and the currently running “Baek Jong-won’s Food Alley” are shows that rely on the television personality, the owner of several restaurants and cafes. 

“While doing research, I found restaurants that serve delicious food but aren’t able to attract many customers,” said producer Kim Jun-su, who was behind the three shows. “I thought Baek’s entrepreneurship and know-how on how to run a restaurant could not only save individual restaurants but also the entire business area.” 

In “Baek Jong-won’s Food Alley,” Baek is not reluctant to deliver criticism or tough pieces of advice, which are far from his gentle image. “Though I’m not sure whether the next level of the show will go beyond alleys to a town or even head abroad, we’re planning to continually expand programs revolving around Baek and restaurants.”

Critics forecast that spinoffs of reality shows are expected to continue in diverse forms for a while. “It is an effective strategy that could raise audience’s loyalty to a show while lowering risks,” said culture critic Ha Jae-keun. “While ‘Kang’s Kitchen’ is like a genuine variety program with the appearance of familiar characters, ‘Youn’s Kitchen’ adds fun with its drama-like content.” 

“With the appearance of diverse distribution platforms, boundaries among genres have crumbled,” said Professor Lee Dong-eun, who teaches media technology and media content at the Catholic University of Korea. “With the more active involvement of not only producers, writers or creators, but also audiences, a different level of storytelling is expected to be unfold in entertainment shows in the future.”

BY MIN KYUNG-WON [jin.minji@joongang.co.kr]

January 23, 2018

'Youn's Kitchen 2' continues to grip TV viewers

By Woo Jae-yeon

SEOUL, Jan. 23 (Yonhap) -- Star producer Na Young-seok's reality program "Youn's Kitchen 2" ranked No. 1 on the weekly TV ratings chart, data showed Tuesday.

The reality show of four Korean actors running a Korean restaurant in Spain garnered a score of 237 on the Content Power Index (CPI) for Jan. 8-14.

Premiered on Jan. 5, it was quick to prove its popularity: Its second episode recorded a viewership rating of 14.8 percent, a record high for an entertainment show on the network.

AEN20180123002800315_01_i.jpg

Among many factors, the viewer's sympathy for the cast can be attributed to the show's early success. Running a mom-and-pop restaurant isn't an easy task in a foreign country, not to mention in Korea, to begin with. The cast members struggle in creating new menus and attracting foreign customers mostly unfamiliar with Korean food. A language barrier isn't helpful either.

On the other hand, viewers are thrilled and relieved to see customers enjoy Korean food as if they were the owners themselves. The breathtaking views of Garachico on Tenerife, the largest of Spain's Canary Islands, where the restaurant operates, keep the viewers' attention.

AEN20180123002800315_02_i.jpg

The nine-episode first season, which aired from March 24 to May 19, 2017, was also a big hit. It helped spread a social trend among young Koreans of trying to break away from a lifestyle devoted to work and money and embracing the motto YOLO, which means "You Only Live Once."

At a talking session shortly before the series premiere, actor Lee Seo-jin said he was already thinking about Season 3.

"If ratings hit 15 percent or higher, we will produce a third season. So please watch the second season if you want us to make the next one," he said. He joked that he's already designed staff uniforms for the third season. (Hahaa! He really wanted the team to have uniforms like the restaurant next-door :lol:)

AEN20180123002800315_03_i.jpg

The index, created by CJ E&M and Nielsen Korea, measures the level of popularity and influence on consumer behavior of all entertainment TV programs aired on major terrestrial networks and cable channels during prime time.

jaeyeon.woo@yna.co.kr

I just watched the first two episodes yesterday, and again today, and I'm hooked! I am loving this. I've already read about the first ever customers being a minister of Denmark, and the other customer a Ukrainian blogger. I was wondering if you have pictures of all the other guests, like the younger couple who live in Slovenia, or the family who recommended the Alps as setting for Season 3. They must be in social media right? I'm interested to see the photos they took of the food and their comments/experience.

Hello @lollyminx welcome! welcome! The episode are really addicting to watch, aren't they? :lol: Now that we even have subs, it's even more interesting because most of the 'awkward first impression' have always been proven otherwise. 

So far no Korean news highlighting the other guests, maybe we'll have some later. I saw this some days ago and meant to post but kept forgetting..

Source: enterMedia

1516596397_1.jpg

1516596397_2.jpg

1516596397_3.jpg

Source: Hankooki.com

The Spanish customer who met Yumi and Seojunie at a bar, came to try out the dishes at Youn's Kitchen. He called his friends and recommended them to try out the really cheap but amazingly delicious '12 Euros Bibimbap.'

dyhero21320180124002447_O_01_C_1.jpg

Source: OSEN

Spoiler

201801201004776687_5a6295d4b5738.jpg

January 23, 2018

Na Young Suk Shares Stories Behind The Creation Of His Hit Variety Shows

Source: Soompi by S. Park

na-young-suk.jpg

Na Young Suk spoke at a seminar sponsored by the Korea Creative Content Agency and shared insights on creating content.

After first becoming a household name as the producing director of “2 Days & 1 Night,” Na Young Suk has been behind many more successful variety programs such as tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen,” “Grandpas Over Flowers,” “Youth Over Flowers,” “Three Meals A Day,” and “New Journey to the West.”

At the event, Na Young Suk was asked to share the secret behind his excellent insight into people. The producing director answered, “I was able to come this far because of my skill in recognizing talented people and pulling it out of them as if it was my own. I was originally a student with very low self-esteem, but what I lacked, I found elsewhere.”

He then shared the thoughts that helped create some of his hit TV shows. In regards to “New Journey to the West,” Na Young Suk revealed, “I was skeptical about the sustainability of the broadcasting system and tried internet content. Internet content doesn’t have a border, so we could test the possibility of the Chinese market.”

Na-Young-Suk1.jpg

Na Young Suk continued, “I failed at achieving these goals so I thought about giving up, but it was fun doing a variety program playing games after doing so many ‘healing’ programs. However, we gained a fandom with the younger audience and then expanded it to other projects such as ‘Kang’s Kitchen.'”

On “The Dictionary of Useless Knowledge,” he commented, “The survival power of content comes from collaborating with new people. I got the idea from a podcast and thought if someone like the writer Yoo Shi Min responded to it, then it spoke positively of the project.”

After leaving KBS, Na Young Suk produced “Grandpas Over Flowers” as his first project at CJ E&M. He stated, “I thought it would be something worth watching if people in their 80s went on a backpacking trip which is usually reserved for young people. At the time, I wrote ‘If old people are happy, then everyone is happy’ on the board. I trusted that the happiness of the older guests would be transmitted to the staff and viewers.”

Na-Young-Suk2.jpg

Na Young Suk spoke of the idea behind “Three Meals A Day” and explained, “There is fun in giving ‘healing’ or information, but there was too much focus on the kind of fun that makes people burst out into laughter. We said let’s make a variety program that puts together all kinds of fun.”

He concluded his lecture with an answer to a question about choosing between what people like versus what he likes. Na Young Suk responded, “I would ultimately have to choose the consumer. Society is gradually becoming a generation of particulars. Variety programs must also narrow in on a focus.”

Source (1)

1 hour ago, rubie said:

Hello @lollyminx welcome! welcome! The episode are really addicting to watch, aren't they? :lol: Now that we even have subs, it's even more interesting because most of the 'awkward first impression' have always been proven otherwise.

YES! I've been a fan of Yeon since watching Grandma Gye Choon and Bacchus Lady, as well as Yu Mi not only because she's pretty but also a good actress. Park Seo Joon was the cherry on top. Seeing the poster of them together, I decided to watch it. I'm so happy I did!

I'm even happier that while waiting for the subs of the new episode, I can catch up on the first season.

Are there subs for the 3rd episode already?

@lollyminx  In my understanding, the episodes with English subtitle by tvN Asia will be aired a week after the original broadcast in Korea. So, the subbed 3rd episode will be available this coming weekend when tvN Asia airs the episode while the Korean tv will air the 4th episode instead. Nonetheless, the one-week difference for the wonderful English subs is still so surreal considering that it's so hard to get reality shows with subs compared to Kdramas, right!

Source: STARNEWS

16 hours ago, rubie said:

@lollyminx  In my understanding, the episodes with English subtitle by tvN Asia will be aired a week after the original broadcast in Korea. So, the subbed 3rd episode will be available this coming weekend when tvN Asia airs the episode while the Korean tv will air the 4th episode instead. Nonetheless, the one-week difference for the wonderful English subs is still so surreal considering that it's so hard to get reality shows with subs compared to Kdramas, right!

Oh, thank you for that information! Yes, I know what you mean. Also, I can wait. I've been doing that for other dramas like Prison Playbook that are on Netflix.

Do you know where I can watch season 1 with english subs? I only saw links with subbed episodes 1 and 2 but none for episodes 3 to 9.

5 hours ago, Ahmad Kamil said:

Episode 3 will be broadcast on tvN Asia this Saturday at 10.00 pm KST. I will upload the subtitles on Subscene after it is available on VOD site the next day.

Awesome! Thanks for that info! :) This show is really daebak.

On 1/25/2018 at 4:45 PM, lollyminx said:

Do you know where I can watch season 1 with english subs? I only saw links with subbed episodes 1 and 2 but none for episodes 3 to 9.

Season 1 is currently being subbed by a fan. He has subbed until episode 3. You can follow him on https://twitter.com/manhwa_kor or reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/ as he will post the video links there. I also post the video and softsubs link of Youn's Kitchen S2 there.

January 26, 2018

"Youn’s Kitchen 2” Surpasses Own Record Of Highest-Ever Ratings For tvN Variety Show

Source: Soompi by A. Kim

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” has broken its own record for the highest viewership rating achieved by a tvN variety show!

The fourth episode of tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen 2” aired on January 26 and achieved an average viewership of 15.2 percent nationwide, with an all-time high of 18.8 percent. The show had previously set the record for highest ratings by a tvN variety show with 14.8 percent viewership for its second episode.

During the cast’s previous V Live broadcast, Lee Seo Jin had promised a third season of “Youn’s Kitchen” only if the second season surpassed 15 percent viewership. The show has already reached this incredible feat in just four episodes, and has also taken first place in its time slot across all channels (including public broadcast networks) for four consecutive weeks now.

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” has also consistently shown its popularity has no age limit, coming in first for viewers of all age groups, from teens to their 50s, yet again. This particular episode recorded 10 percent viewership rating within tvN’s target group of ages 20 to 49, with a peak of 12.4 percent. In the Seoul metropolitan area, the episode achieved an impressive 16.9 percent viewership rating, with a peak of 20.7 percent.

“Youn’s Kitchen 2” is a reality show that follows cast members Park Seo Joon, Yoon Yeo Jung, Lee Seo Jin, and Jung Yoo Mi as they attempt to run a Korean restaurant in the Spanish town of Garachico. The show airs every Friday at 9:50 p.m. KST.

Source (1)

On 26/01/2018 at 10:32 AM, Ahmad Kamil said:

Season 1 is currently being subbed by a fan. He has subbed until episode 3. You can follow him on https://twitter.com/manhwa_kor or reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/koreanvariety/ as he will posted the video links there. I also post the video and softsubs link of Youn's Kitchen S2 there.

Awesome! Thank you for this. Those of you sub the episodes and upload content online are truly the best! Big ups guys!

15 hours ago, rubie said:

The fourth episode of tvN’s “Youn’s Kitchen 2” aired on January 26 and achieved an average viewership of 15.2 percent nationwide, with an all-time high of 18.8 percent. The show had previously set the record for highest ratings by a tvN variety show with 14.8 percent viewership for its second episode.

fasten your seat belt guys...here come the S3.

Hehehehehehehehe

p/s: JUNGYUMI EXTREMELY CUTE WHEN SHE MENBOONGGG... :wub:

3 hours ago, kentangbakar said:

fasten your seat belt guys...here come the S3.

Hehehehehehehehe

p/s: JUNGYUMI EXTREMELY CUTE WHEN SHE MENBOONGGG... :wub:

YES! OMG Season 3. I'm so excited. I hope they retain the cast, and choose another interesting setting.

After watching three episodes of Season 1, I would have to say, Season 2 is so much better. This makes me have higher expectations for Season 3. Hah! :lol:

Also, I read one comment from an online user about this show and I agree, Youn's Kitchen is soooooo relaxing. I felt the same when I started watching Season 2. It's really a feel good show that makes you want to just slow down and enjoy the beauty of things.

Archived