[Drama 2017] Circle 써클

larus

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, MrsSoJiSub said:

Last but not least, am I the only one who feels disappointed by the major lack of aliens? The synopsis  promised it in a big way "2037, after an alien invasion, aliens now control earth" and so far we got one alien (or maybe alien) in Byul, haven't seen or heard nada about more or others in either time line, and one alien does not an invasion make.

I don`t think the synopsis talked about an alien invasion. If I remember corectly, I read about people using alien technologies, that the aliens believed that for human to survive they have to control emotions but I remember reading about people resisting this idea also. It looks like it is only one alien and some people used her to create their "world", not a better world but a world who it is beneficial to them.I`ve already suspected that people will be the bad guys in this drama but I wish they focus on the aliens too.  I agree that we have to know better about the alien. No more amnesia. I want to know what she thought, what she did on Earth, how she arrived here, and how the twins` dad used the technology. 

4 hours ago, Michelle Gonzalez said:

We find who is chairman.

Good. I will watch now episode 7. :)

Thank you @MiAmour!

Watched some of it, so Pyol made it that only Woojin can access some of the classified information? 

I'm kind of happy because BG has been suspecting of her from the beginning but WJ trusted and liked her as a child and as a young adult, so to the seemingly emotionless Pyol, WJ really was something special?

So I guess I get the gist of the story. The professors were researching on a project where human memory can be wiped so that they can be happy (what a strange research), but it was Pyol who brought alien technology or knowledge which really enabled them to do so. I'm guessing that Pyol and the father of the boys lastly decided that it's not a good thing after all, so they hid the research results and themselves to prevent the fervent prof. Han from achieving his goals. Years later prof. Han got his hands on Pyol, but Pyol has lost her memories. I originally thought that he was the one who wiped her memories to make use of her, but now I think Pyol and the father might have done so themselves and Han wants her to remember so that he can forward his research. Failing that he decided that something must be hidden in the old home of the Kims and kidnapped BG, but WJ is actually the one who can access the information. So when WJ went to search for BG he accidentally unlocked the information for prof. Han and enabled him to create Human B.

I'm thinking that WJ's dead by 2037 or that his memories have been wiped and he's either living somewhere normally or close to Han who is the chairman, alternatively prof. Park might have robbed the results and got rid of Han and is hiding WJ instead.

I`ve just watched episode 7. I really like it because it asnswered one of my wishes, to know more about how this project came to light. Talked about mad scientists. Professor Han lost his decency and control.  "The end justifies the means" is his motto. I hope Kim Kyu-Cheol took the recerched because he had second thoughts about all this. I liked the episode because even one fan of losing memories  had the realization that Human b program is wrong. I was waiting for this as I new this will happen from the beginning. We saw how Beom Gyoon struggled to convinced himself that he can let things the way they are now but Lee Ho soo helped him take the decision. He will confront the Chairman even if that will be Woo Jin. They are on the right side.

tumblr_orhvkzzoHI1sdd1ivo1_540.png

tumblr_orhvkzzoHI1sdd1ivo2_540.png

tumblr_orhvkzzoHI1sdd1ivo3_540.png

We don`t have many episodes left. I struggle myself not to watch RAW the next episode. :) I hope we`ll have a satisfying ending for this drama.

I'm not always against "the end justifies the means", but tbh the memory theme is a very flawed theme. I personally think that it's a very bad idea to delete memories to make ppl happy, because I think that memories are what make out a person. The good and the bad, the ppl you have encountered and the mistakes you have made are what make out your view of the world and your character. Deleting one memory will not solve anything, deleting many memories will lead to an imperfect personality. Without memories, we won't know what to do in which situation, couldn't react in a "human" way and interact with each other, and that would lead to more tragedies and unhappiness. 

I personally don't think anybody could negate the facts (to me) stated above. A theme where the end is really so big and important that it might justify the means would have been much more interesting. It is when you really understand what the villian wants when you start really thinking about the story that is being told. Otherwise you'd only pity and despise those ppl and everything is so simple and not really interesting.

1 hour ago, rittoo said:

I'm not always against "the end justifies the means", but tbh the memory theme is a very flawed theme. I personally think that it's a very bad idea to delete memories to make ppl happy, because I think that memories are what make out a person. The good and the bad, the ppl you have encountered and the mistakes you have made are what make out your view of the world and your character. Deleting one memory will not solve anything, deleting many memories will lead to an imperfect personality. Without memories, we won't know what to do in which situation, couldn't react in a "human" way and interact with each other, and that would lead to more tragedies and unhappiness. 

I personally don't think anybody could negate the facts (to me) stated above. A theme where the end is really so big and important that it might justify the means would have been much more interesting. It is when you really understand what the villian wants when you start really thinking about the story that is being told. Otherwise you'd only pity and despise those ppl and everything is so simple and not really interesting.

Probably used only under formal medical supervision/recommendations specifically for those traumatised by harsh memories and not able to move on with their lives.

Hopefully we get less suicide cases, which today is getting too common.

Now we solved the Chairman issue. BUT WHAT HAPPENED TO WJ, papa and Prof Han? They have been totally excluded in 2037 episodes. How come even Byul does not know what happens to them?

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Circle" Episode 7

photo857716.jpg

What was once a secret in "Circle" becomes common knowledge and what was once a fear comes closer to reality. In 2017, Woo-jin finds himself right in the center of Professor Han's operation and closer to danger the more he knows. In 2037, Joon-hyeok falters as he struggles with a dreadful possibility and Ho-soo's memories show him a different perspective.

Now that Professor Han's (Song Young-kyu) secret is known to Woo-jin (Yeo Jin-goo) the latter's future is starting to make more sense. Whether he wants to or not, Woo-jin will have to play along in order to be as close to his brother and in order to stay alive. I thought Han was just a crazy scientist, but perhaps he is a foil to Woo-jin, a man who experienced loss and found a twisted way to cope.

Professor Han trying to convince Woo-jinGyoo-cheol discovering Byeol's skills

As for Kim Gyoo-cheol (Kim Joong-ki-I), while I expected the twist of him not being bad after all, it does feel a bit forced until we see his reasoning. I do not want a father who makes the right call simply because Dramaland loves redeeming parents. The man abandoned his children and conducted horrible experiments. This is a significant change of heart and I hope that we get to see what brought him to it and that it makes sense for his character. We have enough bad "adults" already. Minister Park's (Han Sang-jin) little friendly act is still not convincing.

Coming to 2037, Ho-soo's (Lee Gi-kwang) wake up call is one I am very satisfied with. I wish the series had made his fragmented recollections clearer, because I had assumed that he had mostly remembered everything due to his strong emotional reactions. The fact that he had not makes his selfishness understandable. He had not remembered his lover as a whole person, only as the horrible memory of her death. His change of heart therefore makes perfect sense and the words that accompany it create a beautiful scene.

Spoiler

Ho-soo's girlfriend re-reliving her abuseHo-soo changing his mind about memories

This comes at a time when Joon-hyeok (Kim Kang-woo) desperately needs it. His reaction to the possibility of Woo-jin as the Chairman fits Beom-gyoon as a character. When pressured, he puts on a smile and tries hard to entertain loved ones. It is also heartbreaking to see him look like a lost child when things concerning Woo-jin come up and this reinforces Kim Kang-woo as the right man for the role.

Of course Woo-jin being the Chairman is not a possibility for me at all, because this is fiction and I know how a set up to a twist works. I have my guesses for the Chairman, but he was never included. Is Woo-jin mystery phone man then? I do not think so, since it looks like a trap, but I believe that we will meet him one day.

cr: http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-circle-episode-7-106926.html

After watching Ep 7-8...

Spoiler
  • I'm so happy that in Ep 7, Hosoo finally came to his senses... I would've honestly flipped if I see another scene of him repeating what he's been doing whenever he remembers something. I'm happy to see him and Joonhyuk back as detective buddies once again. ♥
  • So while the writers put a gigantic red herring that Woojin might be the chairman, the possibility that Woojin could be Joonhyuk is still up in the air. But I still don't want Woojin to end up being Joonhyuk. :D Ep 4 reveal was just too strong for me, if Joonhyuk ends up being Woojin after all, the episode is just gonna be meh for me... I'll be disappointed if Joonhyuk ends up being Woojin in the end. I'll just hold onto the fact that while his memories comes from what Woojin left behind, he still gets flashbacks as Bumgyun.
  • So Byul made the information accessible only through Woojin. She turned Woojin into some password of some sort, and when Chief Hong along with PMY and PDG come for the twins, Park Donggun will come across the information from the computer that Woojin unknowingly accessed. 
  • It's been mentioned in Part 2 that Bumgyun would forget and while I'm very happy the twins have reunited, this is yet another heartbreak for Woojin. He said it himself, he only has his brother. His grandma couldn't recognize him and now his brother as well. I just want to jump in my screen and give him a hug. :(
  • Really amazing acting from Yeo Jingoo. Goodness. The way he just wipes his tears and tries to take a grip of himself. Also that scene when the goons were hitting and punching him... and when he finally finds his brother T_T It's sad that he probably won't get any award from this, since they don't really award unpopular shows and TVN doesn't have an annual award ceremony. 
  • It's also sad that while this show deserves much better ratings, this show won't get it. 

Well, I can honestly say that the Chairman turned out to be one of my 3 picks. I had ruled Woo Jin out after they tried to implant his brother and they used force against him. I couldn't imagine Woo Jin doing that to his brother. The chairman is not using the memory tool to help people, he's using it like a weapon.

Not only that, we already have dementia in this world and I don't think anybody think that's a good thing. May be they should have had the theme of this drama be about an alien unlocking lost memory of people suffering from memory loss. So it's confirmed the alien is real--the fact that no once is really concerned about that other than to exploit the alien for her knowledge is amazing. No one cares to know where she came from and will she bring harm to earth.

Spoiler

The actor playing as the Chairman is so goooood. The show tricked us in the first half making PDG look like he really was on the good guys' side. 

I'm starting to believe that WJ is either dead or his memories are completely erased and is living somewhere else with a different identity. :wacko:

I'm getting frustrated with how they (the writers) are treating 2017 Jung Yeon. Like give her something to do other than calling WJ on the phone!

Archived