[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

1 hour ago, selenette said:

Hi, @hairuchii ! I always love your posts. 

I'm sorry I cut that post, and then highlighted it like I was studying for IELTS, but it's really fascinating!

Anyway. I agree with the first highlighted sentence, that The Goblin's lodged sword would have to be dislodged somehow. My guess is it's because the cruel gods would somehow make it more and more painful for him to live with the sword, day after day after terrible day. Another option is there would be another impactful moment which would propels the sword's dislodgement. Perhaps in that moment, they can't delay it anymore, so they have to proceed and bear the burden.

I also agree with the second highlighted sentence, because I know no matter how painful an ending is, as long as the plot justifies it, then I will have to bear it. I read these books, The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud, which ends in its antihero's death. He suffered, and then he crossed the line, was corrupted, redeemed himself, but then was killed. Why? In his interview, the author said the character had to pay for his mistakes. I cursed the author, but I approve of his writing consistency. 

This is just a simple matter of preferences, but I dislike the memory erasure copout. Memories are what makes these characters themselves, and as much as they'd like the past not to exist, it still does. I don't believe in "what you don't know can't hurt you" adage. So personally I'd rather see the characters as people who remember both bad and good things that happened to them, and yet they could still move on to a better future ...Or to a bleak one where most of them die, and the rest of them live their lives alone...anything but memory erasure. 

As for Eun-tak's salvation, I think you're right, she could be saved by these relationships with the Goblin and the Grim Reaper. My question is, what would these relationships cost the Goblin and the Grim Reaper, because undoubtedly they had defied the fickle gods in interacting with her at all? Even Deok-hwa was reprimanded severely by his grandfather for meddling, and yet he is mere mortal like her. 

Hi @selenette !  I always pay more attention whenever I see your posts on the thread! And thank you. :) 

With regard to our Goblin's lodged sword, I agree that the gods will make the pain more unbearable for him when his feelings for Eun Tak grow deeper. Eun Tak may even end up drawing the sword to give him respite from the pain. :(

One thing which I would really dislike is, if our author does succumb to pressure and make alterations to the script in order to gratuitously pander to the fans. Our writer-nim could logically make changes if the drama series has flopped and the script is dreadful, but I say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". It has been consistent thus far, and I would not want an ending to the series that is not motivated by the intention to be creative and consistent, but is instead triggered by the need to give what the fans want:blink:

I do wonder if our characters will lose any of their memories when everything comes to an end - the sword has been dislodged, Kim Shin becomes a mere mortal, Eun Tak grows to be 29. I feel that it is crucial that Kim Shin's words to the Grim Reaper in Episode 6 that instruct him to erase Eun Tak's memories have never been conveyed properly. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.06.1

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.07.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.07.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.07.5

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.08.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.12.2

P.S. His withering look just says it all. This Grim Reaper is a tech-idiot. LOL. XD

You're right that we also need to consider the consequences of our Goblin and Grim Reaper's constant meddling with fate. But I do wonder if it is truly them 'meddling' with fate or merely deciding their fate. There is one thing that has been consistently been referred to - that is, they all must make decisions and that their decisions determine their fate.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2010.20.

As a deity, Samshin Grandma is compassionate enough to even issue our Goblin a warning about Eun Tak's life. She does so out of compassion for both our Goblin and Eun Tak. She has watched over Eun Tak all her life because of her promise to Eun Tak's mother, and she wants Eun Tak to live. She does seem cruel to tell our Goblin to give in to his fate, but she is doing so to protect Eun Tak and also to put an end to our Goblin's long 900-year suffering. Our Goblin is right to point out that he is also her child so he deserves salvation, mercy and divine compassion too, and our Samshin Grandma wishes to remind him that a life without Eun Tak is a life which is perhaps even more cruel and painful than the immortal life he leads now. He has lived a long life where he constantly bids farewell to the numerous people he cares about, and for him to bid farewell to Eun Tak, it is too cruel a fate for Kim Shin to bear. Our Samshin Grandma is trying to be kind to Kim Shin when she tells him to make his decision and return to ashes.

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.28.2

Spoiler

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.29.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.31.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.32.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.34.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.34.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.35.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.36.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-27%20at%204.35.5

As for Deok-Hwa, I have a great suspicion that he is working with Samshin Grandma. Samshin Grandma does not arbitrarily appear in front of others - she only appears with purpose. She appears in front of Eun Tak's mother because she is the goddess of birth. She appears in front of Sunny and our Grim Reaper because she wants to weave their fates together once again. She appears in front of our Kim Shin because she wants him to end his long life of suffering and to protect him from unimaginable pain. She must have appeared in front of Deok Hwa for a reason. I do wonder if she has somehow bewitched Deok Hwa and persuaded him to work for her in weaving and protecting the lives of everyone in that household. It is after all Deok Hwa who brought the Grim Reaper into the household.. Hm.

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, shynaz said:

happy 400 pages:wub:

Still waiting new stills or picture

Still hope we can sunflower in winter time

Still tuesday again..stress..Lol:crazy:

Iam big fan Ldw and new fan to Gy.They are so close and sexy personality. So I accept both strength and weakness

This is reason I support bromance..Oh god please forgive me.

Forgive you for what ?

what have you done wrong ? :sweatingbullets:

• Like 8

lantern.jpg

Re: Why Kim Shin Releases a White Lantern Every 60 years

@blademan  I've just found the answer to your question. 

The Chinese Sexagenary Cycle, or the Ganji in Korean. The cycle lasts for 60 years before it restarts. It was the primary time reckoning system in ancient Korean era, which was adapted from its Chinese origin. Calculations related to an individual's lifetime was also done in this system. So, by sending a lantern every 60 years, Kim Shin hopes to meet the reincarnated versions of both Wang Yeo and Kim Sun to settle his "debts".

More about the cycle can be found here in Wikipedia.

Sexagenary_cycle_years_svg.png

Chart relationship between sexagenary cycle and recent Common Era years

cr. Wikipedia 

Edited by selenette
Clarity of thoughts?
  • Like 15

7 hours ago, naritul said:

Welcome @dramafanvidsdropper to this sleepless thread!!!

sorry to cut your post chingu ^^ 

i like you say that "sleepless thread" :w00t: and it is indeed! haha... i never seen this thread sleeps once. even it is midnight in my country, i can see someone posts something. and when in the morning til evening, i still see many post here. This thread is really daebak! Lol.. and this thread really grows up fast. need to backread 6 pages :sweatingbullets:

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, valzki said:

sorry to cut your post chingu ^^ 

i like you say that "sleepless thread" :w00t: and it is indeed! haha... i never seen this thread sleeps once. even it is midnight in my country, i can see someone posts something. and when in the morning til evening, i still see many post here. This thread is really daebak! Lol..

@valzki  Same here! Btw I literally have lost sleep due to this thread. I know obsession is dangerous, but I can't help it. The men are too d4mn fine, the girls kicka$$, the plot is daebak (with only minor halts), the CGIs speak for themselves, the cinematography is dazzling, etc etc I can go on and on and on... 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, crazyoverkdrama said:

@staygold, I agree.  Just the other day, I passed by a Body Shop store and remembered KS' marketing line, "It might not make you an immortal but..."  It may not make me one, but I bought it anyway. :sweatingbullets:

The power of PPL or GY effect?? LOL

for me, it is for sure because of the power of GY effect! Lol... it's even better with his pic on the box anyway :w00t:

• Like 8

14 minutes ago, valzki said:

for me, it is for sure because of the power of GY effect! Lol... it's even better with his pic on the box anyway :w00t:

100 percent agree with you.I just buy that perfume because GY effect..Then my friend say is that from goblin:w00t:

How can she know about it..its mystery.. 

suddenly I in front of baskin robin to buy chocolate overload..Oh my. .:phew:

• Like 10

6 hours ago, theseasasleep said:

When he told him not to come back, he meant for KS to die. According to the sub I watched he specifically tells KS to send word of his death, and he'll reply with his sorrow or something similar.  He was telling him to die on the battlefield.

sorry to cut your post ^^ 

ohh.. i understand. so that "not come back" means the king really wants him to dissapear or die. i thought the other way before. hehe... thank you chingu :)

• Like 9

4 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

LDW is too skinny. I wish he put on some weight. When he first started acting years ago, he has looks fantastic with some meat on his face and body. Now he is all so bonny ... too bonny for a guy.

I politely disagree. I'd say that he has a lean and muscular frame, with broad shoulders to boot. Case in point: look at how his shoulders perfectly fill out the sweaters he wears, in all the right ways. They don't look the least bit baggy on him.

IMG_3765.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

And even in a suit (which often makes the wearer look slimmer/smaller), and a black one (which also has slimming effects) at that, his shoulders look broad and his overall frame muscular.

IMG_3768.jpg

And his face doesn't look skinny/bone-y at all either. He has sharp features and a chiselled jawline, which @joyezz also mentioned.

In short, he has gorgeous features and a very attractive body frame ^^

IMG_3620.jpg

• Like 23

6 hours ago, staygold said:

@arieswI am still thinking why KS told her to go work in chicken shop!!! Is it cos DH owns the building that has a chicken shop? If that is the case he would have given her the address to start with!! And he doesn't randomly say things like that.

Yeah that olive chicken shop over so many chicken shops in seoul. As we know ET applied in many chicken shops. Lol.. but KS never come to fetch ET  from that chicken shop. I am wondering if he knew about sunny or he saw ET's future which ET will work there in the future? 

• Like 10

On 12/26/2016 at 8:08 AM, Princi_86 said:

@kaqueski I will post pic in reply. What? Pardon? 

Are we watching same drama? ;))) They have fate and destiny connection and sad love story (it has been mentioned even by the Deity to junior GR) and it's not related to their looks. It's just coincidence that both have God and Goddess looks which belongs to actors actually. That's also my they're called Visual Couple. Do you think that GR hasn't seen beautiful, even extremely beautiful woman in his loooong life? They have connection from their past life when they were King and Queen. And I don't think it's because King and Queen have been beautiful in their part lifes :phew:

agree @Princi_86 :) of course they have sexual tension because they are both sexy af haha but their relationship is not just lust

when he first saw her his tear drops .that's from the heart :wub: he was not drooling at her  and had nose bleed ( haha just kidding)

Sunny is attracted to him for his looks at first (who wouldn't hehe) but she become more interested at him because of his cuteness and weirdness .she seems intrigue by his personality :) 

Edited by LyraYoo
Please do not quote images
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, shynaz said:

100 percent agree with you.I just buy that perfume because GY effect..Then my friend say is that from goblin:w00t:

How can she know about it..its mystery.. 

suddenly I in front of baskin robin to buy chocolate overload..Oh my. .:phew:

Goblin is all over the world! ;) haha... even my little son called him "papa" when he saw my phone wallpaper :w00t: 

I'm going to buy that rainbow ice-cream as seen in the drama though i prefer chocolate and rainbow flavour is not my fav. Hahahahaha... 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, samzz said:

since  got lots of free time today

One of dal.komm coffee outlet used for Goblin set.

For this part the location is near BALSAN STATION   a station on the Seoul Subway Line 5. So if any of you interested to visit Seoul, high chances to see them in here or other dal.komm outlets.

and for Miss Sunny OLIVE Chicken shop, if I'm not mistaken is located at Gangnam-gu, IIwon Dong Seoul

So catch them while you can.

Somebody summon me a Goblin so I can keep loads of (hopefully not cursed) gold bars to book a flight and stan these stars in Seoul, because my meagre salary and savings won't cut it.

Edited by selenette
  • Like 15

5 hours ago, Visually-wandering said:

I think he will get Reference on how to kiss from his library. Hundreds might be thousands of books collection, I'm sure there are some books about romance. Or may be he can ask Grim Reaper for a reference from dramas? Since our GR IS an avid kdrama lover, who knows GR will recommended him to watch  *cough* Coffee Prince *cough* kisses.

Hahaha will they go to the theatre again and watch "coffee prince"? And KS will kiss ET here awkwardly :phew: i  am afraid there will be no kiss in short time since they need to find a solution whether to pull out the sword or not. 

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, valzki said:

Goblin is all over the world! ;) haha... even my little son called him "papa" when he saw my phone wallpaper :w00t: 

I'm going to buy that rainbow ice-cream as seen in the drama though i prefer chocolate and rainbow flavour is not my fav. Hahahahaha... 

Yay, fellow mom of a little son @valzki ! Your son is so cute! Any chance to name his future siblings with Goblin character names? 

• Like 8