[Drama 2016-2017] Guardian: The Lonely and Great Goblin 도깨비

Go Seung Ji

Goodness.... I just finished watching subbed video and I SWEAR I AM NOT GOING TO WATCH THIS AGAIN UNTIL NEXT WEEK!! I'm going to binge watch the earlier episodes, my heart is on denial mode right now.  KS IS NOT DEAD!!! Hear me drama? He's not dead, or you're going to do some serious explaining if you don't bring back our beloved Goblin!

*Ranting so early in the morning...*

• Like 5

What is this?? Oh my god. I can't stop crying. I'm not even making it up. It's so late now, everyone is asleep and I'm crying after my screen went blank as the video stopped.

This is the climax they were talking about.

There has to be a resolution after the climax. There MUST BE.

They need THREE episodes to resolve the issues.

Kim Shin will come back. Otherwise, what else are we going to watch for the next three episodes?

People, people who say that chemistry doesn't exist between Shin and Eun Tak - what are you talking about?

The raw, emotional connection between the two of them is so palpable that I bawled my eyes out the moment Eun Tak realised what Shin had done to himself. I bawled my eyes out throughout that entire scene. I couldn't see the screen properly because my glasses were smeared with my tears and snot and tissue bits.

They can't lose each other like this.

What about those strange images of a barren land and a shadowy figure who approaches? Is that Shin? It must be. It has to be him.

:bawling:

• Like 16

I did not mind at all to wait 1 more week as I understand that this filming and editing eats up time, like my kids Spaghetti ... but this is an end that is really mean for my poor soul and I would love to fly over there and shake that PD-nim ...

I know, I am not fair, but how can they leave me with such a sad end for a whole week?

PurpleLips gone - oh who gives a damn
Sunny alone -  I have faith in KES
uri GR (and he will always be that for me) - crying (for heavens sake you had LDW the whole episode in tears, that man has to suffer severe headaches
ET bawling her eyes out -  and no bandAid for her cuts
KS fanished in to ember and ashes -  here I'd like to note that I saw the spoiler and know what comes ... but the way to archive it is still blurred and seams like a long and winding road ...

I'd like to have ET move back into the mansion into her room, DH lives at Granddads place, which is now his. Sunny is independent and her flat to small, but that big house will just house uriGR and he has to fight memories long lost and haunting as a ghost in itself. ET would be the perfect roommate, they might not be able to talk about their lost loves, but in the end they were friends and that house is a home for both. Neither should live alone!

• Like 15

I'm thinking the letter Euntaek sent back in Quebec was a letter to herself in the future, stuffs like: remember this day you went to Canada with this very cool ahjushi? blah blah (like futureme.org where you can compose a letter to yourself in the future and they keep it completely hidden from you until the day you specified you want it to be sent). If the amnesia trope is used, this letter maybe a powerful tool to aid in the story. 

I like this episode but can't help but annoy by the excessive flashbacks, almost all the drama I've seen have this same problem with their later episodes, so many flashbacks T____T i figure new footage is rare because of live-shooting, and I understand but for a episode of 90 minutes, i feel like 1/3 is already flashbacks... 

I'm whining because I want to see more new stuffs rather than rewatch some scenes I've already rewatched so many times by myself hahahaha. 

GR and Sunny... how many times they've broken up with each other? I hope both KIm Shin and GR can move on from their past lives to get a happy ending..which may means Sunny and Euntaek may end up dating someone much younger than them, muhahahah (if GR and KS reincarnate to younger version of themselves lolol).

I like reading @packmule3 theories, it feels like reading fanfiction, because I can totally see it'd be interesting to have GR as Queen and Sunny as king too. Your points make sense and it could happen the way you interpreted, but maybe those are suppose to be red flags for the viewers to think otherwise and be surprised at the revelation that GR is king and Sunny is queen (which they kinda fail at..)

I don't know what to expect in the special episode, i have a feeling it's gonna be a 90 minutes long of flashbacks..... i really hope not and hoping we can gain some new insights about the series, especially I'd love it if they explain more about the Korean mythology used in the drama. 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, picorange said:

Just by far the saddest episode yet the best drama i've watched to date. I rarely, i dare say i'm very rarely cried because of some drama but the last scene just got me crying so hard. GE and GY really put up great great great acting and i must agree with you all that the production team is just doing a verrryy good job.

Wondering what kind of special episode will we have tomorrow. I hope it'll help us go through another week of waiting. But to remember that we'll have 3 episodes back to back next week just got me super excited! the writer will not let us down, i believe. We'll get our happy ending!

aaah tonight episode's Jjang!!! wont be surprised if it'll beat reply 1988 rating! i hope they do because they deserve it :D

I never cried for love story in any drama or movie, but this ep made me cried many times. Best drama ever so far in my life^^

• Like 5

It's wonderful WY was there also, if he didn't call out PJW's name, eventhough the real sword had been pulled out, Goblin certainly couldn't slash the sword to PJW who still possessed ET's body. WY's life in Goryeo after her queen passed away was very devastating. And ET is very pitiful. Her sobbing at the end was heart-wrenching. I'm little bit surprised when she grabbed the sword and moved it to her self.

• Like 7

Just now, kaqueski said:

I'm thinking the letter Euntaek sent back in Quebec was a letter to herself in the future, stuffs like: remember this day you went to Canada with this very cool ahjushi? blah blah (like futureme.org where you can compose a letter to yourself in the future and they keep it completely hidden from you until the day you specified you want it to be sent). If the amnesia trope is used, this letter maybe a powerful tool to aid in the story. 

I like this episode but can't help but annoy by the excessive flashbacks, almost all the drama I've seen have this same problem with their later episodes, so many flashbacks T____T i figure new footage is rare because of live-shooting, and I understand but for a episode of 90 minutes, i feel like 1/3 is already flashbacks... 

I'm whining because I want to see more new stuffs rather than rewatch some scenes I've already rewatched so many times by myself hahahaha. 

GR and Sunny... how many times they've broken up with each other? I hope both KIm Shin and GR can move on from their past lives, which may means Sunny and Euntaek may end up dating someone much younger than them, muhahahah (if GR and KS reincarnate to younger version of themselves lolol).

I like reading @packmule3 theories, it feels like reading fanfiction, because I can totally see it'd be interesting to have GR as Queen and Sunny as king too. Your points make sense and it could happen the way you interpreted, but maybe those are suppose to be red flags for the viewers to think otherwise and be surprised at the revelation that GR is king and Sunny is queen (which they kinda fail at..)

I don't know what to expect in the special episode, i have a feeling it's gonna be a 90 minutes long of flashbacks..... i really hope not and hoping we can gain some new insights about the series, especially I'd love it if they explain more about the Korean mythology used in the drama. 

Do you think that kid has to do something with KS reincarnation or smth like that? I'm curious why that kid appeared many times already in the last-important ep...

• Like 5

Just now, introvertedahjumma said:

Hi all, first time posting here after lurking around for ages! Because today I had to share my misery with someone :bawling: today's episode was beautifully sad :bawling: 

Welcome! We are all crying here but trying to comfort each other. We still have three more episodes. I'm also curious about the special episode tomorrow now.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, hairuchii said:

What about those strange images of a barren land and a shadowy figure who approaches? Is that Shin? It must be. It has to be him.

:bawling:

Probably his soul. I mean, he's walking listlessly, like a drunk person or something. Sorry chingu. I'm probably speaking like a drunk person too. Still reeling from all those emotions.

I think I just developed a mental disorder or something, like what RL said in her TV program.

Or maybe I just need sleep. Yup, definitely sleep.

• Like 10

This episode was really daebak. I´m really impressed at how a lot of the things we had been discussing in the forum got answered today. I almost felt like the production team were silently lurking in this thread. 

• Like 12

Just watched the episode with subs. It is a really really hard one to watch.:tears: I don't know how to put my thoughts to words, it is so complicated.

1. Did anyone also thought that the earlier scenes of GR and KS, like when he called Deok Hwa but KS picked up the phone, reminds Sherlock? If anyone watches it, it really has a similar feeling to Johnlock ship. It was such a delicate compilation of scenes, so silent, wistful but at the same time so strong and loud. Kim Shin actually answered the phone! Did he just wanted to hear his voice? :tears: I love how they got so tense when GR figured out it was KS. :tears: :tears: :tears:

2. That GR&KS confrontation scene in the house. God! :tears: Kim Shin's face was really screaming ''I am sad for you, I am angry because of you, I don't want to forgive you, I want to forgive you.'' Gong Yoo was really amazing again, I can't believe I could understand all these conflicting emotions. And GR too. :tears: He was just full of guilt, sadness, desperation. I lost it when he said ''Please kill me.'' :tears: God, he needs to understand! He needs to understand that death is the worst escape ever. Ah...but who am I to talk really? He feels all lonely, again. And with all his memories and great amount of emotions coming back it must be way way more hard to deal with. And maybe he thought he can pay for all of his sins to KS if he kills him. :tears:  I was really devastated when Wang Yeo said '' No one loved me. My people, my servants, my love, even I, not a single person loved me.'' Such a great way to kill me, honestly. I didn't know I could feel more sad for him, but after knowing that he died thinking Kim Sun didn't love him.....yeah. Annnd there comes another confrontation scene where Kim Shin says they all loved him!!! I was veeery deep in my lake of tears at this point. and GR saying ''Is it hurting again?'' (refering to the sword) with his timid voice and puppy-like face!!!! God!!!!!!!

3. The scene where Sunny cried in front of the mirror. Hats off to YIN. I think she did wonders with such a small scene. If it was handled differently it could be a very awkward and forgettable scene. But I really felt that she was bottling up her tears that at the most random times it would just come like that. Or maybe I felt it since I also experienced something like this. It is like you don't even think about anything, a serious blank mind, but then everything comes just like that. :tears: I really wanted to hug Sunny there.

4. This leads me to the GR&Sunny scene. I loved it. :tears: I did think Sunny was aware of him following her (and for days!! :tears:) and she was doing all kinds of things as it was a date. :tears: My heart feels really heavy while writing these. That scene was surprisingly really easeful. The wind, the light, the music, their faces was so harmonic. I freaking died again when she said ''You said to remember only my happy moments but you said to forget you. That's contradiction. Every moment that you were in, even all the sadness and hardship, all of it made me happy.'' *cries* And he freaking said ''Every day, my heart broke from missing you.''  Why am I doing this to myself??

And she saying with a shaky voice '' I don't want to fall for you in this life. This is the only punishment I can give you.'' But girl, you are punishing yourself too!!!!  And I found it so intimate when she put the ring in his pocket. I don't know why, is it because I am so thirsty for any kind of skinship? :sweatingbullets:

5. I loved all those trip scenes. So natural, so lovely. :tears: Gong Yoo killed me when he cried like that.

And finally the final scene...I cried a river again. It is really one of the most heart-wrenching scenes  I have ever watched in my life. I have nothing to say about the three actor's acting. It is just amazing. :bawling: richard simmons just thinking about it makes my eyes teary.

Little notes:

I loved the special effects!

I loved the scene where GR appeared before that devil to protect Sunny. Gave me the chills. Just like when GR said his name in the last scene. I have never seen him like this since the second episode. 

I love the beautiful friendship between Sunny and Euntak. :tears:

This episode was full of unexpecting things so I even thought that little child was someone supernatural too, only to find out Kim Shin did the trick ahahah. 

And I realllly realllllly hope for more ''talking'' scenes between GR&Sunny. I need them to, and they need to, talk more about all of this. This little scene they had in this episode was so powerful, I can't even imagine how amazing it would be with longer or more scenes like this. Please let them stop breaking up even before getting them together!!! :bawling:

Also I am in love with the scene where Wang Yeo layed beside the picture of Sun.

I also want to understand all of the things Wang Yeo said when he was trying to give the ring and the gown. Was he talking to Sun when he said ''' This garment doesn't have an owner. Maybe this is what you are looking for. If so, take it.'' I need to understand this whole scene better. :tears:

And when that devil said ''Did I close their eyes? Or did they close their eyes?'' I got chills. I think that is a teamwork. When ''the devil'' comes, some people choose to cooperate with it. Some people regret it, some people keeps doing it. I used to believe that everyone do learn, do regret, do ask for forgiveness but not anymore. I think there are people with just black color. That devil is one of them lmao

• Like 24

Just done watching it with the eng sub, and omg, still tearjerking! I still crying a river even when I already know which scene is which. Talking about episode 13, KES really did a good job too today, despite the sad ending we got at the end of the episode, but the storyline actually mindblown, like the real purpose about the sword, and such a plot-twist really about the mark. So for over 20 years, Euntak actually has been saved by the mark, thats why ghosts could not possessed her, because she's special, the Goblin's bride.

So with the fading of the birth mark, it's not showing that she lost her purpose as a Goblin's bride, but mark being faded away also a sign of the end of Goblin's life.

All the four leads got their crying scene. Grim Reaper, Sunny, Kim Shin, and Euntak at the end.

When GR was crying at the first few half of the drama and when he was talking with Kim Shin, all I could say was "please give him a hug, Kim Shin ssi. That a face of someone who need hug". And the way the director edit and film it, they seems more like a lover rather than an enemy. Bromance at it finest!!

I'm speechless at the way Gongyoo & Goeun's act on their crying scenes. My heart aches for both of them.

I once read it somewhere (could not remember) that someone said this drama is overrated, say whut? Well everyone has their own taste. But usually in a drama, they usually only have "one item" that make it their symbol. For example like Moonlight Drawn by Clouds they have the couple bracelets, 49 Days they have the tear necklace, and so on. But in Goblin, there're so many items that 'represent' this drama, from the dolls, to ring, to the sword, to the perfume, to the books, maple leaf, and so many more. With the highest real time rating was around 24%, for a merely a cable tv. Back in the days (few years ago), to just get 3% for a rating just such a wow for a tv cable, but now 24%? If it was in either one of the big 3 broadcasting channel, perhaps the rating would be around 30-40%, but again, loved the fact that this drama is in tvN, as there're not that many rules to be followed unlike the national tv, so the staffs could express their ideas and so on.

Lol. What am I doing now? Lol. Sorry guys, I was way too emotional. With that, the camping shall begin!!

PS : the kiss thou, thanks for the close up guys and their short getaway scenes. (ship is sailing whoop whoop lol jk) (still lowkey ship them) lol

• Like 17

11 minutes ago, hairuchii said:

Welcome! We are all crying here but trying to comfort each other. We still have three more episodes. I'm also curious about the special episode tomorrow now.

Thank youu! :) Yes me too. This episode pretty much unraveled the mysteries around all characters, so I'm wondering what the special episode will reveal to us. I particularly liked how this episode ties some loose ends without letting it feel forced. Like for instance, how the GR got his memory back. It had a perfectly good reasoning and didn't feel manufactured. Something I really like about this drama :)

• Like 6

Finished watching eps 13 and WOW, just WOW!! I wasn't expecting this!! I was screaming WT* at the end like "That's it?? That's the end?? Like we have to wait 1 week for the next eps?? NOOOOOO :o".

This episode was so sad, so heartbreaking with awesome acting!! GY & LDW nailed it B) We're in eps 13 but I'm still impressed by their acting, especially LDW who steals every scenes he's in!! :wub: Really great casting \o/

The 2 scenes which really makes me cry was when GR regained his memory & at the end, the kiss (I've been waiting so long for a kiss like that!! Dam* lucky girl :lol:) and the parting!!

Such a good show!! I'm really curious about the ratings of this eps, I hope it skyrocket ^^

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, jpopz said:

Do you think that kid has to do something with KS reincarnation or smth like that? I'm curious why that kid appeared many times already in the last-important ep...

Yea there is definitely something going on with the kid. I've read there are several theories regarding the kid from the koreans:

1. The kid's grandma is one of the triplets (the ghost, the fortune teller, and the remaining triplet). They suppose to stand for past, present, and future. This remaining triplet is the one who stands for present. 

2. Some say the kid's mom is the wandering lady ghost that we saw beside Euntaek until now. And her story is not yet get closure. 

• Like 11

1 minute ago, mouse007 said:

So as it turns out, KS decided to sacrifice himself to kill Park Joong Won rather than kill ET. WHYYYY??? :bawling:

Because he loves her?
Because she will always be in danger as long as PJH is about and specially as he is the source of most evil

By the way the Mini-preview shows a figure laying on the ground of a field ... then footprints thru snow/sand and a shaky walking black figure ...

• Like 13

1 hour ago, carolinedl said:

@dhia205 Yes! I keep forgetting the power of humans! That poop scene at GR's "work" place!
 And how God shows a way but people can still alter that path. The power of human's will in "destin." In Sartre's philosophy, "destin" and "liberté" are put together in existentialism. Humans, through their free will, are the most powerful force.

Yes, yes, "destin" and "liberté" are often opposed. And we certainly aren't dealing with existentialism here...

Then, I say the butterfly effect comes into play. With the butterfly effect, destiny is changed. People already mentioned the butterfly effect here, @bebebisous33 and someone else whom I cannot remember right now (sorry about that!!!). I think many of ET's actions will have that effect! As well as some of her supporters (Chariman Yoo, GR too I believe!).

IT was @selenette who mentioned it after my analysis about the butterfly as God's representation! I agree with you that in this drama, free will has always been implied, especially when Kim Shin told the man (boy from 1968) that he was the one who made the right decisions. KS only gave him a choice. It was also visible, when ET's mother was about to die... she was given the alternative, but she could have refused. No, she remembered the words from the old halmoni and asked for help.

• Like 10