[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

Already watched subbed.

From what I can understand, HoYe is someone that the High Priest told our gods - a being that can kill them all. Remember somewhere in previous ep ( 5 or 6 ), when Moora talked with Biryeom, she mentioned about a story told to them about a being strong enough to fight them.

In this ep, Habaek mentioned the same thing since the High Priest told him about it, too. He didn't put any weight on it before but when he found the stone with the blood on it, he finally made the connection and realised the person that has been talked about ( or rather the person whose name shall not be mentioned) is now materialised and it is HoYe. I think HoYe is demi god. Not a fully god because god doesnt have blood. Human blood cannot stand being in the sacred land also so whosever blood left on that land must be of someone in between. But how he came to be more powerful than the gods, I have no idea. 

I wonder how Habaek connected the dots and came into the conclusion himself when biryeom and Moora hadn't had a clue. That's why I love him...his deep brooding at the rooftop results in something after all since I thought he was only thinking about SoAh all the time..haha.

In ep 7, Moora and biryeom revealed something about Habaek and their past story. It turned out that Moora had been jealous at the Shim girl who was sold for 300 sacks of rice to be the sacrificial offering. So we go back to the story Habaek told SoAh at the cafe. Her jealousy made her sort of using the beggar god  to issue challenge to Habaek and I think they fought and Habaek was injured ( got his face slashed) and the lowly god ran away to human world. Moora was really defensive about this and it looks like Habaek had no memory about this event ( maybe they drugged him with the portion we saw before). Interestingly, Biryeom revealed that Habaek DIDN'T like that Shim girl at all. So maybe, Habaek was given false info about what happened at that time to cover up Moora's misdeed and thought he loved the Shim girl when actually there was another different human girl that Habaek was involved with.

Ep 7 did gave some insights about the real identity of HoYe and a piece of puzzle about what happened in the past but absolutely no more clue about Habaek's past love story that we thought would connect him with SoAh.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting that some feel that Hoo Ye is a fire god.  It looks to me like he is an earth, agrarian god, but the fire that came up from the earth brings that to question. Why did that bug and fire come up? Is it him Hoo Ye or another god doing it?

Fire was a great gift to mankind, from ancient times it was worshiped. In the Greek myth Prometheus gave the gift of fire to the humans so he was punished by the gods and chained to a rock, a great bird would eat his liver every day, then it would grow back and the bird would come back.  

So wondering if Hoo Ye,  who also wants to help mankind,  has been punished, and should not be able to be free, but somehow he managed to free himself and he is helping people.  Just an idea.

1 hour ago, milwon said:

:(:( i put a high hope for yesterday's ep to have a rise in rating, but it going down instead..

I wonder why the ratings are so low. I usually don't think much about ratings but seeing how low it is, I am wondering why and what the complaints are that are contributing to the low readings :blink: i think the storyline is interesting and the plot doesn't have much holes. The love story is developing and the characters are still building up their conflicts. Perhaps it is because there are not much viewers watching? :huh:

Edit 

@maddymappo a very interesting theory of HY using Prometheus as a folklore/mythological example. Surely, in that sense, Fire was sacred and special to humans. And when Prometheus, a titan, stoled it from Mt Olympus, it was a grave sin and he had to be punished painfully. Zeus felt so betrayed that he set forth the punishment. If I remember correctly, it was Hercules, a demigod, who saved him. But..point is, if he managed to get himself out of a punishment from the Gods, there was no one to save him. So exactly what crime did he commit that was so grave..it will cause a punishment? It may also explain his fascination with humans. However, i am feeling that he is more than we think he may be. His mysterious aura is too hard to ignore. If he is demigod as one of the chingus here speculated as well, then he has human blood in him which may tie him to the humans. But if he is God..then I am trying to figure why he is in the human world..and if he is connected to Shim. Is HY the titan or the God..? Hmm..

38 minutes ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I wonder why the ratings are so low. I usually don't think much about ratings but seeing how low it is, I am wondering why and what the complaints are that are contributing to the low readings :blink: i think the storyline is interesting and the plot doesn't have much holes. The love story is developing and the characters are still building up their conflicts. Perhaps it is because there are not much viewers watching? :huh:

Edit 

@maddymappo a very interesting theory of HY using Prometheus as a folklore/mythological example. Surely, in that sense, Fire was sacred and special to humans. And when Prometheus stoled it from Mt Olympus, it was a grave sin and he had to be punished painfully. If I remember correctly, was it Hercules who saved him? But..point is, if he managed to get himself out of a punishment from the Gods, there was no one to save him. It may also explain his fascination with humans. However, i am feeling that he is more than we think he may be. His mysterious aura is too hard to ignore. If he is demigod as one of the chingus here speculated as well, then he has human blood in him which may tie him to the humans. But if he is God..then I am trying to figure why he is in the human world..and if he is connected to Shim..

Prometheus was also a Titan, who came from the older gods, parents of Zeus. So they were very powerful, ancient, primal gods. And in preview there is something about Hoo Ye being more powerful.

10 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

Prometheus was also a Titan, who came from the older gods, parents of Zeus. So they were very powerful, ancient, primal gods. And in preview there is something about Hoo Ye being more powerful.

Lol i went back and edited some of what I wrote, adding more details :) but i will say it here too.

Indeed. Promotheus was a Titan and one of the earlier creations before Zeus. I had a theory that HY is a much older, ancient God whose powers are stronger and powerful. In the preview, we see HY telling HB 'hasn't anyone tell you how powerful I am?' This indicates that HY himself was hiding in disguise from the Gods and if so, why. It is also indicated from how the hungry God, MR and HB talk about 'him' that HY's presence seem more like an ancient tale. Hence, I am leaning towards the theory that HY is someone much older whose goals to own God's land is either revenge, to save mankind, or block the Realm of God from the human world. The name 'Block World' is mysterious itself as our chingus here stated too.

Okay theory based on seeing today's episode and on reading some of what the primary work this series is based on I have a feeling that the blind little girl is the reincarnation of nakbin. habaek's first human love. i think that it is her blood that was left on the rock which is why it can remain I think she was probably brought through the gateway and got hurt and lost her sight. nakbin was part of the fire realm and was like half human. Although habaek originally thought she was all human. But she had been used by the Emperor who was trying to get her to do away with habaek but because she loved habaek she couldn't do it so she killed herself and cursed habaek to turn into a child and to diminish his power by day. Also I think the CEO is shin nong  god of agriculture and previous emperor also brother of current emperor his afinity is towards fire. He was the most powerful god and actually granted habaek his name as the god of water he unfortunately  was weakened and can nolonger go up against hunwon the current emperor. He loves both humans and God's alike which is how hunwon took over by getting some God's together and overthrowing him. So that's my theory on who is who.

Just now, vangsweetie637 said:

Lol i went back and edited some of what I wrote, adding more details :) but i will say it here too.

Indeed. Promotheus was a Titan and one of the earlier creations before Zeus. I had a theory that HY is a much older, ancient God whose powers are stronger and powerful. In the preview, we see HY telling HB 'hasn't anyone tell you how powerful I am?' This indicates that HY himself was hiding in disguise from the Gods and if so, why. It is also indicated from how the hungry God, MR and HB talk about 'him' that HY's presence seem more like an ancient tale. Hence, I am leaning towards the theory that HY is someone much older whose goals to own God's land is either revenge, to save mankind, or block the Realm of God from the human world. The name 'Block World' is mysterious itself as our chingus here stated too.

HY mentioned to SA that he was an orphan.  He didn't know his mother (who I am assuming was human) and had an abusive father.  Maybe his father blamed him for his mother's death? Or maybe his mother deceived his father in some way?  Maybe he finally rose against his father and was then cast out?  Or it could be completely turned around with the mother being the god and his father the human and that is why he is living in the human world?  HY also doesn't seem to have any idea who HB, BR and MR are gods, I'm really getting interested in the story line now.   I just hope that SA becomes more than the 3rd leg of a love triangle and actually has an important part to play in endgame. 

I swear I heard Biryeom mention that Mura was so overcome with jealousy due to Nakbin that she couldn't see he didn't care for the sacrificed girl. Is Nakbin finally going to make an appearance? Mura also kept referring to the previous human girl that HB loved in the past when expressing displeasure to HB's care towards Soah.

The blind girl from ep 1 is back! She seems to be close, but not a blood relative of HY, since she calls him ajusshi. Maybe HY was in the human realm trying to find the reincarnation of his sister, which happened to be the little blind girl following @Cayu18. He tried to bring her into the god realm, but she couldn't pass through the gate and was injured in the process? But even as a reincarnation, she is still human, so her blood wouldn't remain on the stone...hmm so it's more likely that it's HY's blood. Human blood, but not human because he is a demigod.

I'm still leaning towards that HY is a "descendant" of a god, rather than a full god himself. I also don't think HY is really a god of fire, than him having an affinity towards fire. Another ability that he keeps repeating to humans is that he can read minds --which according to the manhwa, is a skill of his father, the Emperor of Gods. But tying back to the unknown person that the High Priest mentioned when the gods were younger, I guess HY is the strong one that can "kill everyone", whatever that means. In the preview, he threateningly says if HB doesn't know his abilities. HY is a top warrior and archer in the manhwa as well.

I do agree with the others on the thread that his character seems to be closer to Shin Nong, so this is quite confusing. Maybe the writer selectively picked here and there and threw them in a pot and shaped out HY lol. 

I love the moment where HY's face changes rapidly to shock when HB says "I caught you" --I feel like we're finally getting to know HY's true side.

10 hours ago, happypuppy said:

I still need to watch entire subtitle before making the judgement. However, this is already at 7th episode and I hope SA will show more teeth power among those mighty gods. Somehow I perceive her as always confuse and indecisive. Please convince me otherwise if you think the opposite.

Well weeelll...I will be the same and cannot think clearly if I am under the same roof with a hottie like Habaek but my sympathy for her is almost running out :bawling: I need character development ASAP :bawling:

and as always: thanks for the live recap! <3

I think she is doing fine for right now. She has shown that she is strong and firm (she slapped bi ryum after he torture her, which is a good move by her, but it may cost her life if she is not protected under habaek). She is dealing with gods, so there isn't much she can do. she is just a human being, a servant to be exact. Plus, she is not well-verse on the god's realm. their story, etc. So, for now, i think she is just a helpless human being getting involved in the god's story. Nothing she can do, only to put her faith on habaek. Confuse and indecisive is what makes us human. All of us are like that, especially if we were put in a situation like her. Her character is great so far for me, at least she is not a whining child or a candy girl. However, i do hope we can see more of her in future episodes. She is the bride after all, so she is one of the core story.

31 minutes ago, aunniek said:

HY mentioned to SA that he was an orphan.  He didn't know his mother (who I am assuming was human) and had an abusive father.  Maybe his father blamed him for his mother's death? Or maybe his mother deceived his father in some way?  Maybe he finally rose against his father and was then cast out?  Or it could be completely turned around with the mother being the god and his father the human and that is why he is living in the human world?  HY also doesn't seem to have any idea who HB, BR and MR are gods, I'm really getting interested in the story line now.   I just hope that SA becomes more than the 3rd leg of a love triangle and actually has an important part to play in endgame. 

Very interesting point. He did mention he was an orphan. This can mean if he is not a full God then he is a demigod. But usually demigods are not as powerful as full Gods. So that still leaves the question of why he is more powerful than HB as mentioned in the preview. If he turns out not to be as ancient as i think he is, it must mean either one of his parents were a God (mostly mother since his father was abusive) were well known in the Realm. But..we can't really say too if those are his real parents as he is adopted to the Shin family, which I do not think is a coincidence from the Shims. For some reason, I still think HY is much more ancient. Because if HB and them can figure out who he is..then he must have been existent for quite a time already. 

Hmm..i am trying to think if Gods give off a presence or something. MR, BR and HB were not able to tell his identity right away but in the preview, HB is angry at BR and there are talks of an identity being known. So HY did a good job at hiding his presence and HB didn't recognize him because he may not have come across him until now. 

I didn't read the manhwa version so I have no idea how to tie it into the drama. So all my speculations are based solely on the drama itself, and from reading what you guys write :wink::D

@ktcjdrama LOLOLOL at your Lego Heaven comment. My impression at first was "Tetris" haha.

13 hours ago, blademan said:

:( as much as the possibility of it happening is almost inevitable, I really don't want IJH's character to turn negative! But I guess he has to...for the plot to move along...pfft.

Agree I don't want his character to be turn out negative. ...but even if plot needs or writers decided still gonna support him....love him❤

598c54e23054ef5e7ac2c359e89407f9.jpgomo so many shipments ❤

c749a6e106b98ef070c610fe3a223218.jpgcuteness overloaded ❤

12169fe3b3c62b9bbe9e6d047f4745d4.jpgI can't believe it Kim tae hwan  ❤so happy to see you again .

Spoiler

809a74a880c30bb41c1808f5bf9dc817.jpgheart hurting words

1 hour ago, vangsweetie637 said:

OK from Wikipedia - Most of the time Prometheus was the son of anOceanid named Clymene or Asia but in the play Prometheus Bound, traditionally attributed to Aeschylus, Themis is the mother of Prometheus, and gave him foreknowledge of what was to come.[16]  It is said by Prometheus that she is called many names, including Gaéa. (Gaea  is the primordial earth goddess. )   I think all of this follows through somewhat with Hoo Ye as a psychic and his love of the earth.  

Also from the web regarding his father  Iapetos "the piercer" was probably also the Titan god symbolising mortality and the mortal life-span as his sons Prometheus and Epimetheus were the creators of mankind and all other mortal creatures.   But I suppose the god of mortality "the piercer" could be considered brutal. There is a lot more on this family, holding up the heavens and keeping the sky and earth separate.

The gods considered it wicked thievery when Prometheus stole the fire for mortals. 

Hi chingus!

Loved the recaps as always! Thanks to @athena22 @dramu51ch0c10ve and @ilwoo_aein :rolleyes: *sends hugs

Picking up from theories here and there, I too got curious on who Hoo Ye really is. So I'm guessing since this is a spinoff - then maybe he's also a spinoff version of Hoo Ye, Shin Nong and Dong Young in the manhwa?

Sharing the character description of those three (from Wikipedia) and highlighting those that could make sense, (Warning: long post ahead..*wink!) :D

Hoo Ye
The commander of the Water Kingdom, also famed for being the best archer in the realm of gods. He appears to be loyal to Habaek, particularly after an unspoken incident involving Nakbin in the past. However, as of Volume 5, he appears to be under a 'contract' of some sort with the Emperor, concerning Soah. On her arrival in the Water Kingdom, Soah at first mistakes him for the Water God, and later comes to rely on him as a confidante and friend, which makes Habaek jealous, more so since Hoo-ye is attracted to her. Though Habaek seems to trust him, the Water God is well-aware that Hoo-ye previously served the Emperor. He is later revealed to be Nakbin's brother and also the son of the Emperor. Because he loved Nakbin dearly, he is tricked into believing that Habaek is responsible for Nakbin's death, though in truth, Nakbin had actually killed herself.

Shin Nong
The God of Agriculture and the previous Emperor of the Gods, as the most powerful god. He loves humans and gods equally, which eventually resulted in Hunwon gathering divinities opposed to Shin Nong and overthrowing him. Once Mui's power over water emerged, Shin Nong granted him the title "Habaek" as the God of Water. However, since Shin Nong's own affinity is toward fire, he and his allies retreated to the Moon Palace, where as gods possessing the power of fire, they are strongest. When Hoo-ye attempts to take Soah, he reveals himself and lets Hoo-ye leave the Lunar palace. He tells Habaek he never intended to meet him in the first place, and is too weak to fight against Hunwon now. He and the current emperor are brothers, but their very natures are opposite and it has been foretold that they will destroy each other.

Dong Young
A young man from a wealthy family who has known Soah since childhood. It was intended he would marry Soah, but when Soah is chosen as the substitute for the intended bride to Habaek, the engagement fell through. Though he is in love with Soah, she merely regards him as an older brother figure in her life. When Soah is returned to the human world without any memories of her experience in the Water Country, Dong Young proposes to her and she accepts out of obligation to her family..(continuing with Woo Hui's character - Dong Young's sister. She was the actual intended bride to be sacrificed to Habaek, but her wealthy family paid Soah's family so that Soah would take Woo-Hui's place)

That said, I can't wait for tonight's episodes :lol:

The aura of love and jealousy spread in air.

Habaek like soha but soha neutral . Hoo ye like soha. Bi ryum like moo ra but moora like ha baek. In the end so many hearts suffer broken I m not prepared yet to watch anyone hurt. 

Hoo ye mysterious creature❤❤❤

Archived