[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did not comment much on this drama; however, I did read the posts.  I enjoyed Bride of the Water God and thought that the cast, writer, and director did a great job.  I did not try to analyze this story, I just went with the flow and enjoyed the plot.  I did think that the story should have been 18 episodes instead of 16, just to wrap of the ending better.  I have noticed that in many K-dramas' the endings are rushed.  I would have loved to have seen MR accept the fact the HB was in love with SA and that SA would not betray him, I would have love to see, MR realize that BR loves her and a confession that she loves him.   

I saw some posts stating that they would not be able to live with themselves because of the burden of knowing their father died because of them.  I look at it differently.  SA spent much of her life thinking that her father did not care for her and he abandoned her; however, she found out that she was wrong,  he cared so much that he give the ultimate sacrifice; his life.  The fact that she was the only one who could release her father and was able to give him a proper burial gave her closure and allowed her to move on and heal. Sin Se-kyeong played that scene well (the inconsolable, distraught daughter), you could felt the grief.  Well done Sin Se-kyeong.

At the end everyone moved forward in their lives; therefore, it was a happy ending.   HB is allowed to live with SA until she dies before he returns to the Water Kingdom and becomes king, MR has started to accept BR's affection for her, and HY did not become a bad person, but seeing how much SA loved HB, he helped her to understand how to used the servant seal to kept HB by her side without him becoming extinct.  HY was able to acknowledge, although he has this power to destroy, he does not have to use that power.  It would not surprise me if HB did not become, if not friends, friendly with HY.   HB, even without his powers, was never afraid of HY, nor did he treat him as a pariah.  HY respects the gods and although his is only a half god, I think going forward, he will not feel alone.

Overall, great story, and good solid acting. 

9 minutes ago, Carmarie said:

I saw some posts stating that they would not be able to live with themselves because of the burden of knowing their father died because of them.  I look at it differently.  SA spent much of her life thinking that her father did not care for her and he abandoned her; however, she found out that she was wrong,  he cared so much that he give the ultimate sacrifice; his life.  The fact that she was the only one who could release her father and was able to give him a proper burial gave her closure and allowed her to move on and heal.

i will adopt your explanation, it did give a closure to her, and for her it meant that she was loved unlike what she felt bf . so i think you are right and it doesnt have to be this burden. 

This is one of a beautiful love story that I saw on TV, er I mean, laptop, I love how the writer gave us her premise about love and kindness, the one she wrote as the ending, forget the exact words but it goes like "people can fight for their live/happiness with their own strength, and it's even better if that strength is love" and HB's mission before his coronation was to understand the basic rule as a king that "the real throne for a king is his people, if the king can not save his people, he's not really entitled as one"

I am so thankful that I have a chance to watch this drama and having a wonderful ride with all of the awesome people in this thread .And  I must say this, when my friend said she found this drama was lacking, so bad, and blah blah blah, I just left the room with a "Yeah, yeah, yeah" the way So Ah did to Moo Ra. :tongue:

5m0NVTw.jpg

10 hours ago, Visually-wandering said:

I agree HaBaek-nim, I mean JooHyuk-shi. I might re-watching this drama again and again just because I found a lot of wisdom of live among the dialogues, sometime at unexpected scenes. The comedy and tragedy just mixed in a proper weight. I'm considering watching Misaeng, because I fall in love with the writernim. Her storytelling style give me the same vibe as watching old J-drama. When silence, or heartbeat and sounds of someone breathing, can be understand as words. I will wait her next project after this.

You've put my feeling into words. Even while I was watching livestream my heart already wrenched and my eyes drenched by tears. How can I forget this feeling? The true love is the simplest love. Live together - literally living each and every moment together with the person we love. 

And @nevill @ktcjdrama see u again soon. 

I need to remind myself to live life to the fullest too...like there's no tomorrow. :):) 

10 hours ago, nevill said:

hehehe,i think he can either transform himself or make SA look younger?  actually i was thinking what if a natural disaster is threatening their love. bc to me this is the thing that can disturb the couple the most. bc he will have to return to the god realm. so im just focusing on the near future and not as far as when they are\SA 80

Yes...hahah...my mind think to far ahead...like what if she's so old and he still look so young. She will look like his grandma. Mian...i take back what i said. I hope he can transform. but my silly mind cant stop think.....what about his children? they should be like HY ...that means they do grow older but slower? (I admit I am still confused about HY's age and time line). Nevermind...i will stop thinking. :tounge_wink:

8 minutes ago, ktcjdrama said:

With this kind of ending, we need some kind of epilogue please, of their life after... just 15 minutes will be okay, you know, a la You Who Came From the Stars. 

Agree....

Camera panning, close up view, toys are all over the floor, sounds of children laughing, water splashing from rubber bathtub, the zooming out and showing HaBaek and his twins inside the bathtub on the roof top playing with water while SoAh hanging the laundry, smiling. And then come a little girl handing her a wet towel. She's their eldest daughter. 

4 hours ago, moodypie said:

(I admit I am still confused about HY's age and time line)

me too bc he said that most of the talking he heard was about HB so obviously HB was already an important god by then, oh well

17 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

I am still debating whether this is actually a good message or not....

i dont think the message is a bout a loved one but about humans in general. HB hated and belittled humans bf so in order for him to appreciate and protect humans life the HP 'arranged' for him to fall for SA. so through love he will value SA life more than his and by that he will learn to value humans life in general 

btw

anyone here also had a naruto suske vibe with that sentence?

1 hour ago, tudorrose said:

A few years of happiness while SA lives is not really a happy ending. They actually left us hanging. But, by definition, it is still a happy ending and that is all that matters.:)

Its not really few years, it will be up to 30-35 years so they have plenty of time to spend together. 

Archived