[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

19 minutes ago, nevill said:

sorry, i cant blame MR bc the human faints, she became annoyed bc he faints all the time and she doesnt act more spoiled than other actors\idols we see. so for me she is immetating human behavior in the kdrama industry. doesnt bother me at all.

and yes she and BR are throwing blame on to others, but again im not that annoyed by it. we cant judge them as human. gods are much less changeable than humans. 

when JD explained about time for human he also brought into light how it is for gods. they are gods, not humans. 

and actually unlike BR she wants to always look good iin the eyes of HB and he is her 'family' more than BR being from water as well.

Well, when she gets mad, even her assistants sense it. So for me, this shows that she has never tried to control her powers. She even lets them feel them so that she can show her superiority. And her assistants didn't do anything wrong.

So to me, the whole thing with the actor looks like a vicious circle: she is annoyed because she has to be kissed. She doesn't like being kissed at all --> Remember, she didn't even allow her husband BR to get close to her!! So imagine that she has to allow a human to kiss her!! She views humans as inferiors, hence she is super irritated. So she doesn't control her feelings and powers therefore the actor feels them and since they are strong, he faints. So she is definitely the reason for his fainting. But she doesn't realise it.

Yes, humans are different because they are limited in time, but we saw that Ha Baek has always been curious about humans, MR and BR seem to be more selfish and self-centered. For me, BR and MR never tried to see their time spent with the high priest as a way to expand their knowledge.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, SeGafanlady said:

I start reading the manga and OMG what in the world.... it's totally awesome... different but awesome in its own way... there.. Soo Ah is the one who came to Realm of God.. after being sacrificed as Habaek's bride.. the visual is mesmerising..

anyway they can also make the drama according to the manga.. than it would be a heart breaking 50 episodes with a cost than can cover a movie like Battleship Island.... I understand the choice of Habaek is the one who enter the human world.. 

I just need a Happy Ending.. that's it. For all of them....

I admire your courage in reading the manga. I have this habit to peak on the ending before I can decide to read em. That got me searching on the ending of Habaek manwha story and I guess what.....I can't read them, it'll leave scars in me.

SA's life is tough on Earth but it's more tougher on the gods realm which left me settle in the middle in my imagination which is up to the point she marry him.

33 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

Well, when she gets mad, even her assistants sense it. So for me, this shows that she has never tried to control her powers. She even lets them feel them so that she can show her superiority. And her assistants didn't do anything wrong.

So to me, the whole thing with the actor looks like a vicious circle: she is annoyed because she has to be kissed. She doesn't like being kissed at all --> Remember, she didn't even allow her husband BR to get close to her!! So imagine that she has to allow a human to kiss her!! She views humans as inferiors, hence she is super irritated. So she doesn't control her feelings and powers therefore the actor feels them and since they are strong, he faints. So she is definitely the reason for his fainting. But she doesn't realise it.

Yes, humans are different because they are limited in time, but we saw that Ha Baek has always been curious about humans, MR and BR seem to be more selfish and self-centered. For me, BR and MR never tried to see their time spent with the high priest as a way to expand their knowledge.

i dont know if it is her first acting job, but if she was indeed using her powers,ppl around her wouldnt have survived. and i dont see her using more power than general aura or charisma. its not as if were seeing ppl falling one after another. and again her staff acts in the same way i have seen all idols staff act in kdramas. not more not less. so to me she acts as they all act not as a god but as an idol. 

HB has not been curious or admittedly curious till he lost his powers which forced him to recognize the everyday things humans goes through which he hadnt given a thought bf.  we can assume that were he to have had his powers he would have turned out to be exactly or very similar to MR&BR

1 hour ago, bebebisous33 said:

@kaoriharang I agree with @vangsweetie637 that MR is far from mature. She views herself as such because she doesn't make jokes like BR. Yet, she is even more immature because she acts like a spoiled girl. I was really annoyed by her reaction, when she blamed BR for everything (episode 6). She didn't want to take any responsability in the mess. Once she got in trouble, she called BR (episode 5) and asked him to come back because she didn't want to get caught that she had lost the god stone. She blames others every time something bad happens. She acts like a child: "I didn't do it, the other did it!" She doesn't want to get punished.

@nevillShe blames the actor for fainting, while in reality she is the cause of his reaction. He feels her anger and power so that he faints. She could control better her powers but she chooses not to do it. Indirectly she is hurting him, even if her intention is different. Her contempt is the reason for this whole mess.

Then she blames So Ah for hurting/seducing Ha Baek, whereas she was the one who gave him this awful job as bodyguard and acted like a selfish and violent person (she slapped him aso). In my opinion, that's the reason why she was sent to the human world as a guardian god. The real purpose of her mission was to learn to live among humans and discover their true nature. But BR and MR never realised it, hence they created a life, where they were above the other human beings: a famous actress and a chaebol son. Both have a superior social status, hence they can never get close to humans. Their work or social status allowed them to behave like before,  feeling superior to humans. Moreover, they never lost their powers, unlike Ha Baek.  

I find for her, being on HB's good list is like really really important to her, so she really does appear to be more mature. I have to admit at some instances she is, but also there is a lot of times where clearly she isnt.

I am not sure if at times whether she is protecting HB from falling in love, so she has him or that she is geninuely concern for him. In much, i actually like JD, his character is something that i am quite attracted to. How like he said, he is on the side of HB's decisions even though there are times where HB's decision doesnt always work out.

You guys are on fire!:grin: I'm away for 10 hours and it skipped 4-5 pages while I was away.Glad to read your theories because they're really insightful and interesting.I guess we'll find out more(or have more questions...) after the episode tonight.

Speaking of tonight,I may/may not be able to do live recaps.I want to spend some time with my family since they're going off tomorrow.I'll see how it goes.Hopefully I will be on time for the drama.If not,well...don't say i didn't tell you beforehand:)

34 minutes ago, kaoriharang said:

I find for her, being on HB's good list is like really really important to her, so she really does appear to be more mature. I have to admit at some instances she is, but also there is a lot of times where clearly she isnt.

I am not sure if at times whether she is protecting HB from falling in love, so she has him or that she is geninuely concern for him. In much, i actually like JD, his character is something that i am quite attracted to. How like he said, he is on the side of HB's decisions even though there are times where HB's decision doesnt always work out.

I like her being concerned for Ha-baek too. It was when she said to Ha-baek during their confrontation with Hoo-Ye,

"Ha-baek, you don't have to prove anything. You are our King."

Hoping for a happy ending for her and Bi Ryeom. *wink!

28 minutes ago, nevill said:

i dont know if it is her first acting job, but if she was indeed using her powers,ppl around her wouldnt have survived. and i dont see her using more power than general aura or charisma. its not as if were seeing ppl falling one after another. and again her staff acts in the same way i have seen all idols staff act in kdramas. not more not less. so to me she acts as they all act not as a god but as an idol. 

HB has not been curious or admittedly curious till he lost his powers which forced him to recognize the everyday things humans goes through which he hadnt given a thought bf.  we can assume that were he to have had his powers he would have turned out to be exactly or very similar to MR&BR

No, that's not correct. She is not allowed to hurt humans in a physical way. But that doesn't mean that she can't hurt them mentally. Notice that BR did the same thing with So Ah. He used her trauma and it was mental torture. Sure, MR isn't doing it intentionally with the actor like BR. It is just that she doesn't care how her powers affect the humans. As conclusion, for me she is hurting humans. Her words towards So Ah underline again her tendency to hurt others. Again, there were only words... but telling mean things causes suffering and even trauma to others. 

You're right: Ha Baek had to lose his powers in order to become closer to the humans. Striking is that JD chose to become a monk but he kept his powers. Becoming a monk indicates modesty and renunciation. Joo Dong is not greedy and determined to not live in comfort. Spirituality matters more to him. All this proves to me that the personality plays a major key hence that's why I judge MR and BR in a certain negative light. They had the choice to adapt themselves in the new world. Just because they decided to live like rich and famous people gives them the excuse that they couldn't get closer to the humans. Both of them receive lessons from the high priest but they never paid real attention to his words. MR didn' t take his stories seriously.

Notice that even when Ha Baek was still acting as superior and came cross as arrogant, he wanted to win the competition (episode 2, skateboard) for his minor god NSR. He knew that NSR was hungry so we could see that Ha Baek did care for others from the start but hid his true personality behind his arrogant and cold behaviour.

@bebebisous33 Thoroughly enjoyed your creative ideas and inputs but I truly hope that the Sky God is cameo by KANG HA NEUL  instead of HY secretary.

As for SA as a demi-god is not a good idea caused the core essence of this drama is the love between a god & human with all the rest of the leading casts as Gods, Goddess & Demi-God, SA need to be a HUMAN or else the whole romance and struggles will be irrelevant if she is reveal to be a demi-god. The audiences will not able to relate to her anymore as a mere mortal caught up with all these divine beings and I will feel cheated if the writer-nim resolved their love conflict as such.  :dizzy:

17 minutes ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

You guys are on fire!:grin: I'm away for 10 hours and it skipped 4-5 pages while I was away.Glad to read your theories because they're really insightful and interesting.I guess we'll find out more(or have more questions...) after the episode tonight.

Speaking of tonight,I may/may not be able to do live recaps.I want to spend some time with my family since they're going off tomorrow.I'll see how it goes.Hopefully I will be on time for the drama.If not,well...don't say i didn't tell you beforehand:)

I think I will not able to watch live either. Should take my Mom to a doctor for her routine check-up. Will check rhis forum instead. Keep updating. ^_^

@Yeekrfan2 The thing is that the gods in the Realm world are supposed to look different than in the human world. Notice that JGR was not recognised by NSR and Ha Baek, when they met in the human world. However, JGR could recognise them. 

But okay, if Kang Ha Neul is supposed to be a cameo in the drama, then he could be the king of the Sky hence my theory that the secretary is the king of the Sky realm is wrong. So if the secretary is not the King of the sky realm, then he could be a minor god sent by the king himself.

As for So Ah being a demi-god, I don't see it as a problem because the main topic of this drama is the disturbed relationship between gods and humans and rebuilding mutual trust. By accepting the existence of demi-gods, the mentality in the Realm world is changed. The gods can no longer look down on humans. Moreover. this is about tolerance and acceptance in the end. If So Ah is just a human, she is then mortal. Their love is limited in the time. I remember how people got upset with the ending of Goblin (although I didn't mind myself). Besides, her mortality has been mentioned twice: the jump from the bridge in 2018 and the comment of the high priest that she is supposed to die young. So if she dies as a mortal and she is in the end a demi-god, she could be reborn as god. They still don't know the life of a demi-god is still a mystery because HY has been the only one so far.

Then even if So Ah is a demi-god (she is unaware of it), the point is how she perceives herself: she sees herself as a human. If she were to learn that her father is a god, she would understand why he had to leave her. She would still see herself as a human. Hoo Ye knows that he is demi-god but he considers himself not as a human, but as a god. He wants to fit in the human world but he sees himself as different. This is important because this underlines that the nature is not what matters but how you see yourself and others.  

Finally, in the epilogue of the episode 2, something caught my attention: the reaction of the high priest "Oh this punk!" He was clearly upset and this was just after So Ah had been witnessing the suicide attempt of Ma BY. So Ah had been upset all the time and cried so much. So why was the priest upset? The word "punk" was related to Ha Baek. So he had intervened quite late... so this could be a clue that the high priest is her father.  

9 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@Yeekrfan2 The thing is that the gods in the Realm world are supposed to look different than in the human world. Notice that JGR was not recognised by NSR and Ha Baek, when they met in the human world. However, JGR could recognise them. 

But okay, if Kang Ha Neul is supposed to be a cameo in the drama, then he could be the king of the Sky hence my theory that the secretary is the king of the Sky realm is wrong. So if the secretary is not the King of the sky realm, then he could be a minor god sent by the king himself.

As for So Ah being a demi-god, I don't see it as a problem because the main topic of this drama is the disturbed relationship between gods and humans and rebuilding mutual trust. By accepting the existence of demi-gods, the mentality in the Realm world is changed. The gods can no longer look down on humans. Moreover. this is about tolerance and acceptance in the end. If So Ah is just a human, she is then mortal. Their love is limited in the time. I remember how people got upset with the ending of Goblin (although I didn't mind myself). Besides, her mortality has been mentioned twice: the jump from the bridge in 2018 and the comment of the high priest that she is supposed to die young. So if she dies as a mortal and she is in the end a demi-god, she could be reborn as god. They still don't know the life of a demi-god is still a mystery because HY has been the only one so far.  

Then even if So Ah is a demi-god (she is unaware of it), the point is how she perceives herself: she sees herself as a human. If she were to learn that her father is a god, she would understand why he had to leave her. She would still see herself as a human. Hoo Ye knows that he is demi-god but he considers himself not as a human, but as a god. He wants to fit in the human world but he sees himself as different. This is important because this underlines that the nature is not what matters but how you see yourself and others.  

Finally, in the epilogue of the episode 2, something caught my attention: the reaction of the high priest "Oh this punk!" He was clearly puset and this was just after So Ah had been witnessing the suicide attempt of Ma BY. So Ah had been upset all the time and cried so much. So why was the priest upset? The word "punk" was related to Ha Baek. So he had intervened quite late... so this could be a clue that the high priest is her father.  

I agree chingu! MR and BR look down on humans and it serves as lesson to both. But if she jumps from the bridge my 2percent is that she will do it for HB. Maybe she can't live anymore without him...and HB will save her for sure!!

Anyone could pm me with a working link for livestream? Thanks in advance:D

29 minutes ago, lolly84 said:

I agree chingu! MR and BR look down on humans and it serves as lesson to both. But if she jumps from the bridge my 2percent is that she will do it for HB. Maybe she can't live anymore without him...and HB will save her for sure!!

But it is not just MR and BR, even HB's mother was resenting the humans for the betrayals. Hence HB came to look down on humans too (episode 1 and 2). But the purpose of HB's journey is to realise that they misjudged the humans. The ones who were in the wrong were the gods: for being selfish, manipulative and intolerant. Since they are immortal, they don't feel the need to change. Changes and progress are not necessary in their world. Why accept a demi-god? They felt threatened.

No, that's not correct. She is not allowed to hurt humans in a physical way

if she is hurting them mentally and not physically than in my opinion its not her fault. also 'mentally' depend on the person, and if she cant be judged on that by the gods she cant be judged on that by human. she cant choose when it is considered a real damage or when it is not considered one or 'just' a mental one, depending on the individual. she cannot be held responsible bc on some humans her aura is too strong and on others not. 

BR used his powers to hurt SA physically NOT on a mental level, he put her life at real risk not manipulated her trauma. 

Striking is that JD chose to become a monk but he kept his powers. Becoming a monk indicates modesty and renunciation. 

this bit confuses me, what do you mean that he chose to be a monk? i dont remember him saying so. and why then is he different than the gluttonous minor god? he also became a monk, no? 

i agree that the writer wants to show the contradiction between acting selfish and not. and this theme is threaded all throughout the show.

SA father selfless in taking care of other children but 'uncaring' of his own.

HY using his riches and powers to help others indefinitely 

BR&MR living it rich and selfishly

SA uncaring - or trying to be uncaring- and only thinks of herself and he dream.

HB although does think of NSR as you stated takes it for granted that NSR should support him and care for him. nt untill SA tels him to make money does he think of it himself. 

forgot to say

for me selfish is not the same as bad or mean. selfish is putting yourself first,thats all

1 hour ago, Visually-wandering said:

I think I will not able to watch live either. Should take my Mom to a doctor for her routine check-up. Will check rhis forum instead. Keep updating. ^_^

good luck

26 minutes ago, bebebisous33 said:

so this could be a clue that the high priest is her father.  

is the high priest also a god? does he have the same powers and the same cycle? 

@nevill For me, BR did torture SA mentally because he played with her fears (falling and water), as soon as the rain stopped and the circle around her was close, she was able to walk and drive the car. She had no physical injury (broken leg or blood aso). That's for me psychological/mental torture. But I will say no more to this subject because we will never agree. 

Since the high priest lives in the Realm world, he has to be a god. No humans are allowed to live there. But he could be the supreme god as he knows the future and the past.

As for JD, I wouldn't take his words for face value. I had the impression that his amnesia wasn't real. So he could intentionally have chosen to become a monk, since it fitted more his personality. But when he talked to the other gods, he said that becoming a monk was a sort of accident as he had lost his memory. 

Archived