[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

50 minutes ago, maddymappo said:

@vangsweetie637  I think that when it comes to god myths it is interesting to see what the eastern and western stories have in common, because just as human beings people had similar view of  the power of the universe and the elements, mortals and immortals, etc.  Nothing specific at times, but there are general ideas that correspond at times.  Mortals and fire have something to do with each other.   Fire was not to be shared with humans, in the greek myth, and it was a titan who's father was linked to "mortality" who gives it to humans. Also the link to agriculture and the earth goddess. And in this story fire element is something that destroys not preserves, and Hoo Ye is part mortal.  So all  that is interesting.  But this is just a romantic fantasy so I don't think all that is thought through or that important to the story.  

Why did Hoo Ye eat leaves? That is a good question.  Hoo Ye loves farming. The fire when he terminated the caterpillar came from the earth too?   He is a being that needs food it seems because of his mother, but a god by his father, so maybe he can survive on leaves.  

ALSO did you catch when Soha apologize to Hoo Ye  (and some point out he was hurt or annoyed she did not at first believe his good will toward helping men)  and she picks up on his love for farming and agriculture and tell him to plant many trees - the use of trees in her metaphor, was very poetic and also meaningful.

I agree. It is definitely interesting to see the cultures of creation of Gods and such, from both sides of the world. Clearly, all have common ideas if not the same morals. I find it interesting that in this story, due to being a demi, he is drawn to both fire and earth. But the elder specifically say the breed inhibits fire as a source of destruction. In this case, fire is used to kill. I am more curious as to how HY attained the fire element when his father may have been the Earth God. It can be because of his mix blood with the humans. Humans and Gods are not meant to coexist physically so hence being directly with a human can be considered sinful. 

Lol, when you said he survives on leaves..so i thought of it as he doesn't need food..but eats leaves to live? Haha for a human it does sound funny and awkward..but for a human god, that is very possible. And if anything i have not seen HY eat any human food yet. Maybe they just didn't show us haha 

Oh yes. I picked up on it when SA apologize to him on doubting his goodwill..and then tells him to grow trees because one day it will become a forest. That to me is very interesting. A forest is vast. So i am trying to wonder if it is a metaphor for kingdom. As of now, HY remains a mystery even if we figured out his birth identity. 

Also..i find it very interesting that the Gods consider a demigod as not too beneficial like a full God..when in some western movies i seen..hybrids are a force to not be reckoned with. MR knows this. But HB and BR are keen on seeing a demigod as monstrous. But as you say..this is a romantic fantasy so many cultural ideas could have been blended in..and may not be explored too thoroughly like i am doing haha.

I have always been interested in myths and folklore so this subject draws my attention from everywhere :D

Also there was a mention of living eternally being different than immortality? Both have the same meaning and yet the way it was used here made both distinct. What do you guys think?

EDIT

@bebebisous33 hi chingu :D do refresh my mind on which theory we have in common. Is it the block world one? Or that HY is not bad? (i made up too many theories haha) and i will put my thoughts together on what you posted as well :D 

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@vangsweetie637 The same ideas are:

- JD is Hoo Ye's father

- HY is not a bad guy.

But his problem is that he doesn't know  about his true powers. The caterpillar burnt but it started burning while HY was leaving the place and didn't look at it. So in my opinion, he had no control of it. He didn' even realise it. I believe that HY needs to control his emotions and as such his powers. I think, Ha Baek's role could be to make HY realise his true powers but to learn how to control these. Moreover, if HB is feeling more like a human, he will empathise with HY's situation. He will no longer see HY as a thread and monster but as a half-god who needs understanding and acceptance. 

@bebebisous33 @vangsweetie637  i enjoyed reading your thoughts and thank you for replying about these ideas. I am definitely thinking that HB's power is in Soha's heart to believe in him, have faith in him.  

I don't know if possible in the time scheme but could (and did someone else speculate about this, may have read it in earlier comment?) that Na-bek is Hoo Ye's mother?  and the Sky god who did something horrible is HY's father? Maybe someone said that already.  But HY has solace in working with the earth.  The earth brings him peace, growing and planting energy is associated with fire too in positive way, come from the sun.

I can't find it, but someone said HY didn't even realize that when he knocked off the caterpillar that it burnt up When he acts in anger the destruction emerges like that.  

I am also curious about who helped HY when he emerged.  Could be his secretary, assistant. Something about his full identity, we need to know. I think he knows Hy is a godling.   

Hi chingus! 

As others were saying, answers to our previous questions even led to more questions :blink:

- What did the King of the Sky County do to Nak Bin and why was it related to getting the throne from Ha-baek - his evil act per se?

- Where on earth..err in the realm of  wherever is Joo Dong?

- Is the little blind girl Nak Bin's reincarnation?

- Why is having a godservant a way of hurting Ha-baek?

- What exactly is Shin Ja Ya's significance in managing the mall for Block World?

- Is So Ah's dad still alive and could probably be serving Joo Dong or be Joo Dong himself?

..so many ccliffhangers. Can't wait for Monday!

1 hour ago, maddymappo said:

@bebebisous33 @vangsweetie637  i enjoyed reading your thoughts and thank you for replying about these ideas. I am definitely thinking that HB's power is in Soha's heart to believe in him, have faith in him.  

I don't know if possible in the time scheme but could (and did someone else speculate about this, may have read it in earlier comment?) that Na-bek is Hoo Ye's mother?  and the Sky god who did something horrible is HY's father? Maybe someone said that already.  But HY has solace in working with the earth.  The earth brings him peace, growing and planting energy is associated with fire too in positive way, come from the sun.

I can't find it, but someone said HY didn't even realize that when he knocked off the caterpillar that it burnt up When he acts in anger the destruction emerges like that.  

I am also curious about who helped HY when he emerged.  Could be his secretary, assistant. Something about his full identity, we need to know. I think he knows Hy is a godling.   

He was adopted by the Shin family. However, I am wondering if the secretary of HY could be JD in a human form? He seems to know that HY is a god because HY mentioned several times humans. He spoke in front of the secretary as if he (HY) was not a human, he was different. Then we heard that a god can have a child, if he takes a human form, implying that he can disguise himself.

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

1. He could create the butterflies because his powers depend on So Ah's trust and faith. We had several times a situation where we could clearly see that Ha Baek can only do something, when So Ah wants to rely on him and and have faith in him.

- the fall from the rooftop: "Save me, please!"

- the incident with the car: It only worked after Ha Baek asked her to trust him and she decided to rely on him

- when she was about to get involved in the truck accident, she was hurt and mad at Ha Baek, hence when she saw the truck coming, she was like paralysed. Ha Baek screamed to her but he couldn't do anything as she had closed up her mind and heart to him. Before, she didn't want to listen to him anymore.

- with the butterflies, she could only see these, when he asked her to believe in him and he said, she would see these. Then she could clearly see these.

2. In my opinion, Ha Baek fell in love with a human once, Nak-Bin and he lost her. We heard in the episode 8 that the Sky king did something terrible related to Nak Bin and even if he was forgiven, the gods from the Realm world never really forgave his action. It was about "Nak-Bin forgetting human foolishness.” Could it be that Nak-Bin was offered a fruit from the special tree that gives immortality but like in the manhwa, the person who ate fruit from that tree would become crazy. Hence Nak-Bin had to die. This would explain why Ha Baek warns her: he is an immortal, while she isn't. He woudn't want to relive a similar experience because the issue with immortality will always remain. Then even if they decided to overlook the difference (god-human), they can not have any children (see Hoo Ye's birth). They are perceived as an anomaly, something that shouldn't exist. 

3. About Hoo Ye: his deepest wish is to be accepted. Since he was first hidden and then banished from the Realm of the gods, he can only live in the human world hence he is so eager to fit in this world. Moreover, he is more accepted here because no one knows his true identity. Therefore his biggest fear is to be rejected and outcasted again hence he does everything to be liked and accepted. His only problem is that he can't behave like that all the time: anger, frustration and disappointment are natural emotions, especially when you meet people who are annoying and irritating. Yet Hoo Ye is always supressing these which isn't good. For the first time, he showed his cold attitude towards SYJ because he was stressed. I don't see Hoo Ye as a really bad guy, nevertheless these two episodes seem to confirm my theory from last week: Block world is a project especially developped to separate the human world from the Realm of the Gods. Block means to obstruct or to lock up, separate!! That's his way to ensure that he will never be rejected and looked down by the gods. So Ah and Hoo Ye have both something in common: both resent their father for their action, both have abandonment issues. However, you could clearly see how upset So Ah got (dropping the fork), when she heard that he was an orphan. She had been confronted with the exact opposite situation: her father would always adopt orphan kids what she hated. However, for the first time Soa Ah realised what real abandonment really meant. She gets aware how painful Hoo Ye's past was and she really shows understanding. She understands now why he wants to help people. Hoo Ye was first mad at So Ah as he had the impression that she had got close to him in order to investigate his true identity. Yet her reaction revealing his past made him realise that she had no idea. I feel sorry for Hoo Ye as he is someone who is so lonely. In the end, he can never get close to people because his true identity could be revealed.

14. I have theimpression that Hoo Ye was saved by Joo-Dong, although Hoo Ye thinks that a Shin saved him. First of all, Hoo Ye has the characteristics belonging from the Earth Kingdom: taking care of the plants, planting trees aso. We shouldn't forget that Joo-Dong comes from the Earth Kingdom too. Then Joo-Dong came to the human world as a guardian god. So what if he wanted to be sent there in order to take care of his son? However, he couldn't do it himself, since he knew that his son would resent him. First he had to send his son away from the Realm world as he knew that he would never be accepted by the other gods. Maybe Hoo-Ye has never really realised his father's true intentions. I have the impression that So Ah and Hoo Ye never really understood their father's behavior. Right now, I am thinking that So Ah's father could be Joo-Dong too. This would explain why HY and her father would think in a similar way. Moreover, his tendency to make sure that So Ah would never feel lonely and abandoned by being surrounded by other orphans. Since he abandoned his own son, this would explain why he wanted to adopt so many kids as a way to redeem himself and lessen his guilt. Nevertheless he had to leave his new family because at some point, his true identity would be discovered. I don't think that Hoo Ye killed Joo-Dong, rather that the latter gave him the god stone and committed suicide so that once Ha Baek comes to the human world and meets Hoo Ye, he doesn't reject him, since it was known that Ha Baek had fallen in love with a human once. Joo-Dong was sure that Ha Baek would come to accept Hoo Ye and show empathy towards him. We clearly see that Ha Baek has changed: he becomes more human and in the end, I am sure that So Ah will make him see that Hoo Ye shouldn't be judged as a monster.  

Hmm, I was intially trying to figure out HY and JD's connection, one being related as a son itself is possible but the question would be why is JD disappeared? And then why did JD call Mura and BR to the rock field that very day, was that very day the day that JD found HY?

It is possible that HY's father is from the Earth kingdom seeing connections with trees and plans, but there is also the question of what the High Priest said about divine element being fire. So if indeed HY is from the Earth Kingdom and his divine element is fire, then perhaps the reason why he chooses to be in control of his emotions is perhaps also due to that power? If we are to say that emotions = intensity of power perhaps? But I am still curious how the fire started, HY did not have any indication of emotion apart from maybe a hint of fear or anxiety at that small instance.

yes I cannot quite see HY as a bad guy mainly because after hearing that story and knowing that he will not be accepted in either realm is disheartening to hear. In a way, it is sad and quite miserable. To be taken as an outcast in both, and I feel that HY clings onto the fact that he somehow belonged for awhile in the human realm. Now with the Gods here, knowing his identity I can sense that foundation completely shaken.

Thanks you for theory about NB and the Sky emperor, i have been trying to piece that together and how it fits into the context. And it does make sense, perhaps thats what happen to NB instead, she took the fruit of immortality and went crazy as a result.

3 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

I agree. It is definitely interesting to see the cultures of creation of Gods and such, from both sides of the world. Clearly, all have common ideas if not the same morals. I find it interesting that in this story, due to being a demi, he is drawn to both fire and earth. But the elder specifically say the breed inhibits fire as a source of destruction. In this case, fire is used to kill. I am more curious as to how HY attained the fire element when his father may have been the Earth God. It can be because of his mix blood with the humans. Humans and Gods are not meant to coexist physically so hence being directly with a human can be considered sinful. 

Lol, when you said he survives on leaves..so i thought of it as he doesn't need food..but eats leaves to live? Haha for a human it does sound funny and awkward..but for a human god, that is very possible. And if anything i have not seen HY eat any human food yet. Maybe they just didn't show us haha 

Oh yes. I picked up on it when SA apologize to him on doubting his goodwill..and then tells him to grow trees because one day it will become a forest. That to me is very interesting. A forest is vast. So i am trying to wonder if it is a metaphor for kingdom. As of now, HY remains a mystery even if we figured out his birth identity. 

Also..i find it very interesting that the Gods consider a demigod as not too beneficial like a full God..when in some western movies i seen..hybrids are a force to not be reckoned with. MR knows this. But HB and BR are keen on seeing a demigod as monstrous. But as you say..this is a romantic fantasy so many cultural ideas could have been blended in..and may not be explored too thoroughly like i am doing haha.

I have always been interested in myths and folklore so this subject draws my attention from everywhere :D

Also there was a mention of living eternally being different than immortality? Both have the same meaning and yet the way it was used here made both distinct. What do you guys think?

Exactly, I liked how the High Priest actually told HB that what you have is the ability to live eternally that is very different between immortality. Living eternally is being blessed with eternal life, but immortality here is talking about how one can not be killed. It is a clear distinction, HB thought that the gods are unkillable, when it actual fact they are.

He also brought about the idea that the gods can only exist when humans believe or have faith in them. So like what you and @bebebisous33 said HB's powers only come to flourish when someone (namely SA) believe and places her faith in him. Rather than faith in his powers but faith in him as a god, I feel is the key point. I think that just makes this connection between SA and HB really strong that faith.

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

@vangsweetie637 The same ideas are:

- JD is Hoo Ye's father

- HY is not a bad guy.

But his problem is that he doesn't know  about his true powers. The caterpillar burnt but it started burning while HY was leaving the place and didn't look at it. So in my opinion, he had no control of it. He didn' even realise it. I believe that HY needs to control his emotions and as such his powers. I think, Ha Baek's role could be to make HY realise his true powers but to learn how to control these. Moreover, if HB is feeling more like a human, he will empathise with HY's situation. He will no longer see HY as a thread and monster but as a half-god who needs understanding and acceptance. 

I think right now HB's feelings towards HY is based on jealous and the fact that HY has JD's mark which he is concern about. I don't particularly think HB hates HY's existence. It is just HY is current now in the center of the mystery as of now.

3 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

Exactly. I believe, because of this journey by being a powerless God will make HaBaek becomes a very wise King of Gods. He will understand more both for Gods and humans. 

HY, just like SA, is a victim of circumstances. It's sad that both of them are in their current predicaments caused by careless individuals. In SA's case, it was because of an ancestor; meanwhile, HY's father is a selfish bastard god. Because i don't believe that he doesn't know what will become of his offspring if ever he will have one and yet he impregnated an (innocent) mortal woman. I pity both of them but admire them also for their resilience and because inspite of misfortunes that they had and continue to experience they chose and still choose to be on the good side which i hope is until the end.

Now, on to other things, i hope HB will lose the ponytail because in my opinion he looks better with his hair down. I like that they're not showing HB's bathe scene every episode but they don't miss showing off his body in many subtle and not so subtle way. I think one of the reasons why this series rates somehow is because some watch to have a full view or glimpse of his body though i can't discard the fact that there are other tantalizing factors too. I also hope that they will not use the 'SA is in danger cliffhanger' again. It's becoming sort of normal because they did it again and i don't really have a problem with it if they established in the first place that SA will always be at risk while HB is on her side in the human world. Well, i am not the writer and writing is not my forte either so i will just leave, watch, and enjoy it from here.

With a gazillion open-ended possibilities and putting them on hold as of the moment til the next show, I'd like to share below some cutesy moments that I really loved in episode 8,

- So Ah's flustered reaction when called "cute" by Ha-baek. Like seriously a woman her age and someone who's putting up a strong-independent-woman front being called cute is romantically out of the line

- Moo ra's concern for Bi ryeom to be banished from the Realm of gods shines a tiny light of hope in the dark tunnel of my shipper's heart. *crosses fingers 

- So Ah listening to Ha-baek's footsteps as he climbs upstairs after visiting her mom. I definitely have to agree with Ha-baek that she's cute.

- Yeon Mi and Nam Soo RI! Should I say more? Lol

- The brightest water fireflies to cheer up So Ah and that loving and lingering look from Ha-baek as he watches her. That. *swoons *faints

- "Let's head home together.." and "I have my reasons". Daebak for Ha-baek! 

..episode 9, huwaiting! :wub:

:blink: I hope this posts because my phone so slow.

I am writing this as I listen to Glass Bridge. This song is filled with so many emotions that I love it a lot.

@bebebisous33

I do have the same theory as you. First, I feel strongly that HY’s father is indeed JD. I don’t think it would be any other God. Since HY bears the mark, it can mean that he is indeed a descendant of the Earth Kingdom. And I realized that HY is not too shocked when HB discovers the mark. HB rips his shirt to reveal the mark, and HY didn’t have much of a shock reaction. More so, HY was resisting HB from trying to see the mark. This meant clearly that HY knows of the mark, even though he does deny he has no idea who JD is. This denial can come from not wanting to admit who his father is especially with the kind of memories he has of him.  We were told HY’s childhood story. And from that, we easily see how much of an outcast he became due to the Gods and his own father. He was locked away for so long, and had to eat leaves to survive. Then, one day, he was casted out to the human realm, and he mentioned the unfamiliarity of the air and atmosphere. To me, HY is not a bad guy. He is a victim of his parents’ mistakes. He is paying their price. And that is a very painful burden to carry. It is no wonder that he is trying so hard to be human, to have his ‘human’ blood overpower his ‘monster’ blood instead. But with the presence of the Gods, he is on alert and does not know what will happen. He suddenly feels like a ‘monster’ again. I really like the idea of your theory: JD wants to redeem himself hence came to the human world to watch his son like how it should have been. And, I agree. Both HY and SA have father abandonment issues. Both think the worse of their fathers (but we can’t blame them because it is clear that their fathers left a bad impression on them first). I, however, do not think JD is possibly SA’s father. First, if JD is her father, this means that SA’s real father is either dead or no longer a part of her life, and her mother lied to her all this time. And, if JD is really her father, that will also make SA a demigod. I, do, however think that SA’s father is involved with the Gods somehow. If we can safely say that while HY was being raised as a human, SA was going through the issues with her dad, it will mean both were facing their own dilemmas at the same time, different places. In episode 1, her mother tells her to think of her dad as ‘someone who abandoned you.’ I cannot help but think her dad was someone tied to the Gods, perhaps JD himself. But I don’t think JD is her father. It is told that her dad likes to take in orphans and others in, more than the times he spent with his own daughter. I am leaning toward the theory that there is a guilt trip somewhere within him, and he cannot face his daughter head on. It can also be that her father is the descendant of the God’s servant curse, and set out to see if there is a way to end it. But, here is the thing though: the God declared that the spouse will bear only one child, and then die. In this episode, we see that SA’s mother died of liver cancer due to excessive drinking. I had the impression that the spouse will die after childbirth. This can mean that the mother who died is not her real mom, but a stepmom. But her dad will be the real one.  So maybe, her dad can never face his own daughter after having to watch his wife die. And only when he has found a way to end the curse, will he be able to face his daughter. Of course, this comes with abandonment. He will never be able to tell his daughter the truth about Gods and a curse, so he would rather leave her behind. Same with HY. He has never seen his mother, and had been verbally and physically damaged by his father, only to be cast out and left behind. I see both SA and HY as lonely souls, who are paying for their parents’ mistakes. Hence, I don’t see HY as a bad or evil guy, but as someone who is trying to live normally, despite knowing he will never be able to get rid of his ‘monster’ blood. You also mention that perhaps JD committed suicide and gave the stone to HY. I don’t think he committed suicide. I do think all this time, JD may be watching HY from afar, not showing his true self, and hiding from the Gods. If anything, he can be in disguise as well. I also don’t think he is counting on HB being able to accept HY even if HB did fall in love with a human. I think JD is relying more on seeing if HY will be able to accept himself. When he casted HY out to the human world, it was the beginning of a road to possible self acceptance. And now that the Gods are around him too, will he be able to embrace his God blood? For some reason, I feel that both fathers of SA and HY are trying to toughen them up, in order to face the troubles ahead. I don’t agree with their approaches but surely, SA and HY cannot truly see the real intentions of their actions. But i don't blame them either. Both were scarred pretty badly.

I also agree with you on HB being the one that will finally come to accept HY as a misunderstood being. The perception of the elders are so strong that it is enough to fill HB’s mind with affirmative understandings of a demigod being ‘destructive and monstrous’. But as he is becoming more human, and changing as he is around SA while connecting with her pain and sorrow, he will come to see the sorrow and pain of HY too.  

@maddymappo

Definitely, HB’s power is reliable on SA’s faith in him. Remember, if the humans stop believing in them, they will cease to exist as well. Hence, both need each other. You make a good point about HY's parents. But I don’t think NB is HY’s mother. I think his mother was a full human aside from NB, and the God took the form of a human to have HY (Gods cannot have babies so in order to have HY, the God had to take the form a human). If NB did eat the fruit like one of our chingu stated to have immortality, yet went crazy and died, then it means NB must have given birth to HY before that time. To me, it wouldn’t make sense given the fact that the elders know about a demigod way before HB’s time. If JD is HY's father, it will not make sense for NB to be his mother if it was the Sky Kingdom who committed an evil act.

Yes, HY did not realize that the caterpillar burned. This means he is not aware of his powers, or maybe doesn’t even know he has powers to begin with. He wants to be human so badly that he will deny anything having to do with a ‘God.’ As for the secretary, he is also a mystery. He seems to be the only one who understands HY. I wonder what his role is as well. Is he..JD in disguise after all? A father watching his son closely, next to him, without anyone noticing? 

@vangsweetie637  I just went back to see the beginning of Ep 1.  The monk is "showing" the little blind girl the world of the gods, where the birds are flying or in that direction, and he tells her about the 3 stones and the little girl asks the obvious question about why would the stones be in the human word.   Could the monk be Soha's father? ( someone else may have proposed this, I am sorry if I don't give a credit where it is due).

9 hours ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

Habaek not only learns from books.He learns from watching dramas too.Remember the scene where he came very close to her and deduced that the signs she showed was because of a man (heavy breathing,blushing etc.):lol:That was hilarious!I think he learn the move from a drama and will practise it on So Ah next week.Can't wait!

Lol, yeah. Watching drama surely made him learn faster. For next ep, when he cornered SoAh while lying on the floor — I think that's from a drama too. I've been thinking what drama did he use for reference? -_- 

I thought I read the translation for Preview ep 9, SoAh said "You're a bad God". Finally she spilled out her feeling. I think she said that because she can't stop her feeling to love him even she knew he'll soon back to his world. And HaBaek keeps giving her hopes, make her even angrier to herself and him. Ouch,...love hurts.

@swagpuppysong aigooo, jist read your post up there. I am 100% with you. HaBaek is getting swoony lately. "I have my reason", geez... How come you've learned to be that obviously—secretive—teasing technique.

36 minutes ago, Visually-wandering said:

Exactly. I believe, because of this journey by being a powerless God will make HaBaek becomes a very wise King of Gods. He will understand more both for Gods and humans. 

I think you just said the importance of the existence of HY on BK.

3 hours ago, swagpuppysong said:

Hi chingus! 

As others were saying, answers to our previous questions even led to more questions :blink:

- What did the King of the Sky County do to Nak Bin and why was it related to getting the throne from Ha-baek - his evil act per se?

- Where on earth..err in the realm of  wherever is Joo Dong?

- Is the little blind girl Nak Bin's reincarnation?

- Why is having a godservant a way of hurting Ha-baek?

- What exactly is Shin Ja Ya's significance in managing the mall for Block World?

- Is So Ah's dad still alive and could probably be serving Joo Dong or be Joo Dong himself?

..so many ccliffhangers. Can't wait for Monday!

I, myself, ask those questions too and i glad i am not the only one wondering about them.

4 hours ago, bebebisous33 said:

- HY is not a bad guy.

I agree with the role of HB on HY's life. Basically, they need each other to realize their full potentials and roles. It's a win win situation and i hope to see it materialize soon.

6 hours ago, vangsweetie637 said:

For the ending, we see that someone was watching SA from a distance. I think HB ran to her because of this, and not because he saw the coordinate points. Remember, HB can tell a situation pretty fast, just like he was able to catch onto HY first.

She is important to him and not just because she is a servant descendant no matter how HB wants to make it less obvious. HB maybe a god but he is also a man. SA is a very lucky mortal. It just happened that she didn't realize it yet.

Because I hate wasting information when it's just 4 people reading it. Episode 8 at 41:22 " Who are those 2? The Jude Law guy and his friend. Who are they that I can't seem to see their divination sign?"

What did the line say for you guys who are using the streaming sites subs? Just curious now.

The explanation I was given- since "divination sign"( jeom-gwae 占卦 )" is the word use,

The word Jeomgwae (Divination Sign) here: http://www.museum.go.kr/sit... and some more general info on Korean divination here: http://www.asianinfo.org/as...
On another site, they say "a fortune-teller matched the birth year with a particular divination sign in the Book of Changes". 
And on another site, this description:
What most serious people who visit these diviners depend on is a combination of Chinese astrology and a specific Korean book written by a scholar during the Joseon dynasty in the 1500s. The Chinese reading is based on an ancient Chinese book of philosophy dating back more than 2,000 years called “I Ching” or “The Book of Changes” — many say it was first a divination manual and only later a philosophical text — and a book written by the Joseon scholar Lee Ji-ham, also known as Tojeong (the book is called “Tojeong bigyeol” or the “Secrets of Tojeong”). Aspects of both texts are consulted by Korean diviners of saju, or four pillars, who read one’s fortune based on the year, month, day and time of birth. This is a professional diviner gathering your specific birth information, matching it with numbers from ancient texts, then shaking a small, steel case shaped like an egg (called a santong), which holds tiny, rectangular bamboo fortune slips, each one carrying a specific force to shape the final divination, depending on whether or not it emerges from a narrow slot at the top. The outcome is a series of extrapolations pulled from the past, stretched into the present and projected through the fog of the future
https://www.researchgate.ne... 

Yeom Mi is a fortune teller who derives fortune from the four-pillars (year, month, day and time of birth) plus some other method. Such as throwing rice and interpreting the pattern of the fallen rice. I think in an earlier episode, Yeom Mi throws either rice (or red beans?) in trying to interpret the divination sign. She says she's unable to "extrapolate" the divination sign.

Random Korean drama info since you see these methods in loads of saguek right? And I learn so much more than just watching a Kdrama when you're on a team. 

Or is this common knowledge for all you long time drama viewers? Bye for this week.

Archived