[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

@swagpuppysong And, their name sounds the same in both drama. Baek Ha and Ha baek. It is fate!:lol:

Me too, i am crazily in love with this. I would always come to this site to check on updates, watching the preview countless times, listening to their ost while watching their fan mv almost everyday. The torture is real:bawling:

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anybody thought that the mask assailant could be Kang Haneul's character? that just dawned in my mind after watching ep4, cuz he will be making a cameo, but we're not sure when and what episode.

when Hooye smiled back at Habaek, I had this weird feeling that he smiled rather...eerily :unsure:. and how Habaek reacted to Hooye's smile, like it didn't sit well with him. I'm beginning to doubt Hooye's character, and like Habaek told Soah, "not everyone who's handsome is a god." he could be masking something more dangerous, than what we all are being led to believe ( yah know, him being a god or demi-god of some sort).

since I read the manhwa, I'll give some background on some unanswered questions. I'm well aware that not everyone has read the manhwa, so I'm gonna be respectful and put it under spoiler. so READ AT OWN RISK!

Soah searched Habaek on the internet and found out he has a daughter, but there's no record of his wife's name. in the manhwa, Habaek had 3 daughters with Soah, and one of his daughters resembles Soah as a little girl; her name is Lady Yuhwa. Habaek is actually in the historical context of Korea because his daughter (Lady Yuwha) is the mother of Jumong, who is the founder of Goguryeo. Lady Yuhwa is Habaek's favorite daughter because she resembles Soah A LOT.

Habaek knows about Soah drowning 14 years ago...and he likely was the one who saved her that night. in the manhwa, when Soah was a little girl, she fell into a lily pond and nearly drowned, and Habaek heard her thoughts, that's why he was able to save her.

Hooye in the manhwa is actually Habaek's most trusted bodyguard/best friend. He was also Nakbin's(1st bride) brother. he is a demi-god because his father is the emperor of the gods.

Nakbin had originally conspired with the evil emperor to get closed to Habaek to find out his 'real name.' Habaek is his deity name btw, which is given to him when he received his powers. Nakbin never found out Habaek's real name, and so she committed suicide after failing to do so. Soah is the only one who knows his real name.

And I can understand why the drama writer decided to do this as a spin-off because the manhwa is too convoluted to follow.

btw: when Habaek apologized to Soah, I feel like he had foreseen her future...and its not a happy one :(.

‘Bride Of The Water God’ Updates: Ratings Increase As Romance Blooms Between Nam Joo Hyuk, Shin Se Kyung’s Characters

BY ROBIE FERRER (koreaportal)

nam-joo-hyuk-r-and-shin-se-kyung-star-in-the-upcoming-fantasy-series-bride-of-the-water-god-tvn-drama-youtube.jpg?w=750

"Bride of the Water God" marked its second-week broadcast with strong TV ratings given the beginning of Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung's characters' fated relationship. Viewership shares of the tvN fantasy series even posted slightly higher percentages as compared to its previous episode.

Nam Joo Hyuk and Shin Se Kyung's drama experienced a rating uptick with nationwide viewership shares returning to the 3 percent level. "Bride of the Water God" episode 4 reached ratings of 3.47 percent, according to Nielsen Korea. Aired on July 11, Tuesday, the said episode also registered viewership shares of 3.62 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area.

to read more:

http://en.koreaportal.com/articles/39835/20170712/bride-of-the-water-god-updates-ratings-increase-as-romance-blooms-between-nam-joo-hyuk-shin-se-kyung-s-characters.htm

funny hoe HB is very sensitive to food smell but denies being hungry. the smell of cooked food makes us salivated and put our stomach into gear.

apparently SA is able to talk to body organs as well as plants  

and also we get all the skinship kdrama has to offer piggyback and arm carry 

4 hours ago, milwon said:

I love Yoon So Ah character in this drama. She is way too different  than other female leads i have seen. She is such a realist, incompetent, independent, prideful, and tons of weaknesses. She is totally portraying how most people look like nowadays. Gone that always the pitiful, perfect, kindhearted, innocent and naive female lead. And i love that her character have lots of layered. She is too prideful of herself that she doesn't want help from others. She doesn't like being look down, thus she takes on revenge on Hu Ye. I have seen comments that says they can't connect or sympathise with Yoon So Ah, but for me, she is doing so well and i enjoy watching her.

@milwon sorry to cut your post but I love, love your Soo Ah analysis. You said exactly what I was thinking about the character of Soo Ah I love her and she is so human. She shows all the facets of humanity, with strengths and weaknesses that is a part of human growth. THe actress in my view is doing a stupendous job portraying the character of So Ah. She is beautiful. I also agree this drama is more than what the eyes can see. Thank you for your post.

Hi again chingus! :D

Monday feels like a long way to go and my brain's come up with more and more open-ended possibilities and questions. Lol. Sharing some here, 

- Namsuri had been to the human world before (when skyscrapers were peach gardens). Could this pose a significance to the plot (Jumong era)?
- A man gave So Ah a diamond ring..Bi Ryum perhaps?:lol:

BTW, @LadyIgraine-chingu. I took the risk and really loved your post! Kamsahamnida! :D

@Chellsee or any mods- could you all please pin the tvN official link onto the front page. Or where to watch the drama? I am a bit lazy looking for the tvN page when I need it.

http://program.tving.com/tvn/tvnhabaek/12/Contents/Html?h_seq=4

Does anyone know where Hera is in the manhwa? Is it Hera the Greek goddess or a Korean name Hye Ra or Hae Ra? 

There seems to be guardian gods of the realms ( gwanli shin)  and guardian god ( suho shin) of the divine stone. For those of you who are actually reading all these- is it the same as in the book? Are they 2 different types of gods?

These definitions are doing my head in.

@Nevill- where is it written it is Hera the Greek goddess please?

9 minutes ago, swagpuppysong said:

A man gave So Ah a diamond ring..Bi Ryum perhaps?

i think so, she mentioned the name An Bin bf and i think BR goes by that name in the humans world.

i dont know if someone wrote  it already but MR human name is Hera the greek goddess 

8 hours ago, dramu51ch0c10ve said:

Hi and Welcome!Hope to see you here often then we can all discuss about BOTWG together:)I don't know if Ju Hwan will disturb Habaek from his duties but I am sure that he's part of a love triangle with Habaek & So Ah.I also have a feeling that he's not as 'perfect' as he seems.We need to know more about his background aside from that he's a CEO & he was adopted into the Shim family.

A great big Hello & Welcome to @sleepinthegarden, @scorpionflowers & @zenya22 :lol::heart: Anymore who just joined this thread but didn't get a hello from me?So glad that many are starting to join this thread.The more the merrier!!Hope y'all can post your opinions often.We'd love to read & discuss them:D

@zenya22 Although the comment you quoted was from my post,It was originally from @rasikha who posted it.I quote it because I wanted to ask her.Since you agree with @rasikha, may I ask why you think the priest may be So Ah's father?I'm sorry but I can't seem to find clues that that may be true.Just wondering^_^

Hello, guys I have mentioned to you all before that I just make an assumption that the priest might be Soo Ah's father because I was thinking of a plot twist that might happen. tvN is known for always making plot twists (Reply Me Series, Flower Boy Next Door and more) so I was thinking that maybe instead of casting another actor, they might have used the priest as Soo Ah's father. Because the priest keeps saying "fate" as if he has already known what is going to happen.

There are two possibilities

1. There is a possibility that he might be a paranormal who is able to see the future or he might have already seen this situation in the past. I have read some of your theories ( sorry if I am not mentioning your name cause it's kinda hard to back tracking hehe) that in the manhwa that Habaek promised to search for the reincarnated form of Soo Ah, and that he married Soo Ah and had 3 daughters, there is a possibility that the priest have known this situation before so he knows things that Soo Ah, Soo Ri or even Habaek does not know or even remember. When I watch the priest's scenes, he does not seem shocked or surprised instead he says it calmly like "It's fate", to me, it's like he has watched these repeated scenes over and over again. It's like you have watched the same movies or dramas for more than 30 times and you're like " yeah, I know the story". 

The only reason why he watches Habaek's life in the human world, maybe, because he wants to make sure how Habaek does his work and I think he looks closely and observes what happens. I think the priest's task is to make sure that Habaek is able to do his task and he might even help Habaek only when he's in danger. However, other than that, he lets Habaek does his task ( like working, taking a bath, takes a taxi and reading), he lets him do it by his own and just let the fate comes through. I think the scene where he accidentally saved Soo Ah, the power might have come back due to the priest and Soo Ah's blood. 

First, in everyone's theory, you mention about Soo Ah's blood is the reason why he could make a water dragon and his power comes back because of him

Second, I think the priest must have had something to do with his power that came back. Because in the first episode, he has warned Habaek about the human world but our Water God refuses to listen. I think he might have let Habaek to run off the building with water, but Soo Ah only triggers to make a water dragon out of him through her piece of blood. Because after the situation, Habaek cannot even do anything even with his eyes closed. 

2. I think it is possible that he is Soo Ah's father because he knows that Habaek would have to meet Soo Ah. And he might have made Habaek to connect to Soo Ah because he wanted to save his daughter who has a difficulty in the human world - I mean she almost have no family, where is her mother?.  I mentioned to you on my first theory on page 60 "Habaek has implied that he has already remembered her by the time they met again on the land. He does not really know her when they met at the park that night" 

We know that Soo Ah's family is connected to the water God because they promise to be the servant of the water God. However, instead of remembering, I think Soo Ah does not even know about the promise because in Episode 1, the scene changes right when she said "But there is something strange about this, why did they leave the god stones in the human world?". It does not exactly mentioned that Soo Ah was told about "okay, you're going to be a servant to a water God because your ancestor has promised to do so".

She was just asking. When, I watched this again, I thought that the man was not exactly her father, he might be her teacher/monk/guardian who told her things about this. He was the one who knew her family background. So, I thought that maybe they intended to tell Soo Ah when she is older but they did not have a chance to do so

https://forums.soompi.com/en/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://d263ao8qih4miy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/habaek1-00017.jpg&key=c00b25cbe89f9a00736fb69ba3700b27524af3f4d79c4fff4fb99b37be1fd12c

We know that Soo Ah's father always saves other children instead of his own daughter. It feels as if it is his own task to save other children and probably take care of them to the point where he does not realize that he separates this action to his daughter. In the episode 4 we could see that.

But, did you guys remember the last scenes of episode 3, when Soo Ah came back to meet Habaek in the building where he met her friend who was a medium and he confronted her that she did not believe him "How do you differentiate a truth from a lie? It's always true when you believe what you want to believe isn't it? because that's less difficult and easier for you to manage"  and Habaek mentions that he does not want to have anything to do with her? There is a background scene where someone ( I think it's her mom) says " your father abandoned us, just think of it that way". I feel like her mother kept a secret to her that Soo Ah could not know

Thus, my assumption is that Soo Ah's father who is related to water God has to go back to a different dimension because his task is already finished in the human world knowing that he has to go back to fulfill his duty to a Water Country. Then, knowing that The Water God has its time to take a throne to be a king and has to go to the human world ( because Habaek insisted in the first episode he wants to search it by himselves) to find the three stones. He already mentions that the servant is a woman, he even wants to mention the name.... means that he knows who the woman is, but Habaek refuses to listen. and that Habaek would meet her on that land, and the rest is history.... the priest wants to let Soo Ah to figure it by herself that she is supposed to be a servant and help Habaek.

The priest makes sure the time of when Habaek and Soo Ah meets again to ensure that Habaek knows that the woman from last night in the park was the woman who is going to help him in the human world. The rest, he only chooses a fate to come through both Habaek and Soo Ah "you may linger there and find out the answer by yourself"

I think because he has already observed Soo Ah's life before.

I am thinking that he might come to the human world to make her family knows their promise, but later on he gets married to Soo Ah's mother and has Soo Ah. Then, he might have to come back to Water country because he wants to save and protect his family. He knows what's going to happen when a God has a much closer bond to human. Habaek and Nam Soo Ri knows what's gonna happen which is why Nam Soo Ri did not agree when Habaek decided to give her the sense of awakening. 

These are my thoughts and assumptions, it is possible that these are wrong but I am just sharing my point of views

Thank you, feel free to discuss.

[OFFTOPIC]:

I just realized that the guy who talks to Soo Ah on the store when they wanted to buy a coat for Habaek in episode 4 is the guy who appears as a pervert in Shin Se Kyung's previous drama called 'Blade Man'. That guy appeared on the first episode of Blade Man as the guy who almost touched Shin Se Kyung's  character boobs lol

6 hours ago, milwon said:

I love Yoon So Ah character in this drama. She is way too different  than other female leads i have seen. She is such a realist, incompetent, independent, prideful, and tons of weaknesses. She is totally portraying how most people look like nowadays. Gone that always the pitiful, perfect, kindhearted, innocent and naive female lead. And i love that her character have lots of layered. She is too prideful of herself that she doesn't want help from others. She doesn't like being look down, thus she takes on revenge on Hu Ye. I have seen comments that says they can't connect or sympathise with Yoon So Ah, but for me, she is doing so well and i enjoy watching her.

True though! For those who said that Shin Se Kyung could not act, has not realized that, she actually potrays Soo Ah better because I could relate to Soo Ah on many levels. Soo Ah is a realist person, I could relate to her in terms of not really trusting anyone and that I rely a lot on myself because I don't want to get too hurt. Soo Ah seems to be ambivert - she could need someone around her but she also needs her own space to be alone. Sometimes people see a realist person as a pessimistic and negative people. Then, Soo Ah is an independent person even if sometimes she could be forgetful and needs someone like a nurse Yoo to remind her. I am also like Soo Ah, we both were not really much detailed oriented but we know how to take care of our self. We could be honest and frank with our thoughts to the point that we do not realize that it might hurt people. Like Soo Ah, even if I appear nonchalant on the outside, I actually care a lot about what people think of me. Soo Ah is cautious and deeply in thought when she finds out that her childhood friends dislike her. Soo Ah might appear cold, but she wants someone to take care of her.

I actually find Habaek is way too positive, he really trusts people and being forgiving... especially with Hyera. I could not have imagined how disappointed he would be when he might get betrayed by Hyera

By the way, I think the reason why she wants to be a psychiatrist is because she wants to know and find the reason behind people's act - her father's abandonment and her resentment towards him might lead her to choose this profession. but, then she realizes that she is too engrossed with her own problem and could not really cope up with it

i wonder why they never show us her father, even ehen we know he is there like when SA the child returns home after taking the jacket from that boy. and actually compared to other dramas ive seen there are no parents here. not any of the character have parents that we know of, except for HY cousin and grandfather.

i think the absence of parents here is an issue. all the kids the father helped also didnt have parents, or functioning ones. and HB not really acknowledging his own daughter.  

and actually from SA point of view he became just like them to his own child.

also could that boy be the one who attacked her?

23 hours ago, ilwoo_aein said:

New making film on youtube

ewly released official cut! One of my favorite scene in episode 4! Habaek-nim looks really cool and handsome in all kind of clothes :heart:

"Bride of Water God" Nam Joo Hyuk - Shin Se Kyung market date

I love the flying scene. I didnt expect they did that. Even my husband love it. :blush:

I am enjoying this drama more and more  It has a very dreamy quality, Loved when he entered her dream and swam with her, so she wouldn't be afraid. It was charming.

Sorry to be a sour puss, but I do think SSK is doing okay in this part. I just can't help thinking how a really good actress would interpret the part, her confusion, her fears, her anxiety from her father's departure. So much there to work with.

Also her assistant guy with whining high pitched voice,  can sing so well!  I wish he would just sing his part instead of speaking.

NJH, I think is perfect in this role.

Archived