[Drama 2017] Bride of the Water God, 하백의 신부

Chellsee

3 hours ago, rasikha said:

If you guys watch the episode 3, the scene for the second meeting when she came to him after he helped her by saving her patience, I notice that  I liked how Habaek mentioned about how he said in the translation : "I don't understand how you could be so foolish and dull - witted when you're not even a bear", it really shows that even Habaek realized how short- sighted and clueless she is. I mean, she is really stubborn with her own thoughts to even care about anything else. I could understand her because she is a realist, and nowadays it's hard to find someone to be depended on, so you kinda have to rely and depend on yourself because it's her life. 

"And today, you have made it clear that your leg is a bit slow"

To me, it looks like he implies how she does not come to him right away.

To me, Habaek seems to be the one who understands her more than she understands herself. Habaek always tries to mention and imply something to her in not such a straightforward way.  I like how Habaek tries to explain something indirectly, while Soo Ah is the type of person who is frank and obvious about her feelings. It feels as if Habaek has known her before but she does not remember it. Now that I am thinking about it, I remember the scene in the first episode how he said that "it's nice to meet you"

Habaek has implied that he has already remembered her by the time they met again on the land. He does not really know her when they met at the park that night. And, I think after he made Nam Soo Ri to pretend him falling sick, that is when he tried to get close to her and tried to find out more about her. That is why he became more aware of her feelings. And when he became aware of her feelings, he learned about the human world through her, such as driving. He learned how she drove and used it as a way to drive, that was why because he finally drove her car when he has not even had a license. Then, through her, he learned how to be compassionate especially when he saw her helping the old man on the street. He learned to be aware of someone's feeling and it could be seen how he was aware of Nam Soo Ri's feeling and how he wanted to get that chicken for him

In episode 3, he realized what Nam Soo Ri has done for him and be thankful about it, but sadly, Soo Ri does not hear it because he looks at the building that has some gold, lol

I want to clarify that both Habaek and Soo Ah learn through each other without them realizing it.

What are your thoughts?

EDITED: I think Lim Joo Hwan's character is not human and along with his secretary. because, based on the translation that I read... his secretary said "they say that some people have their own language". I am thinking that both are half god half human thing. you could see the scene on episode 3, when CEO arrived at the hotel after he offered Soo Ah for a help because he saw her having a hard time walking in heels

Hmm LJH not being human would be an interesting twist to the story. There is something off about LJH's character which I cant quite put my finger on, even when he stares at HB it is clear he either knows something or he is trying to find out something. His characters seems aloof to me at times. So I am definitely looking forward to knowing more about his character.

I think for me the more I watch the show, at times I find that HB is a really clueless god in a brand new modern world. But the more I watch, I realise actually despite him being clueless about how this world works. His thoughts and wisdom can't be hidden. Clearly he is the right person for SA right now, I feel that they are both what they each need. Yes HB does realise on SA in order to navigate this world, but I feel that HB is also going to be SA's sound boarding for her. At least that is the current impression I have so far.

1 hour ago, ktcjdrama said:

Really don't understand all the criticism towards SSK. She is doing great and I love watching her act. She is such a dear and candid person. In fact, she is the reason why I checked out this drama in the first place.

Anyhow, about the swimming together scene -- I believe it is through CGI, they are not really under water. They are using wind to blow the hair to create that swimming in water effect. I tell from their eyes as they were opening and shutting them.

Am really enjoying the show after it picks up in ep.3.

HELLO CHINGU! haha I too am not sure why she is being criticise. I think the way the character is protrayed SSK is doing a good job. I think its hard to sometimes like her character cause we all want her to wake up and see who HB really is. But given SA's history and life experience I udnerstand it is not easy to accept such a concept, even I would have difficulty.

Yes the swimming scene at least the underwater scenes is definitely CGI, it is to easy to have your eyes open and swim underwater.

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jus finished watching episode 4 with subtitle 

IMO

1.Lim Joo Hwan is a God too plus I remember when the high priest said about the SHIM Family or SHIN Family I think they are connected (they hate each other?) 

2. I think Habaek remembers her (?) the hot water scene he said something about she did 14 years ago

3. (It's just me or my over thinking mind) So Ah search him online and saw he's married and she asked her in the picnic scene about him married and have a daughter he said he's not and avoided her and close his eyes to change the topic (in the manhwa So ah and Habaek has a daughter) maybe that 14 years ago when he saves her they got married? 

Im happy the ratings went up 

"Bride of the Water God 2017" Shin Se-kyung "Kiss me and I'll sue you"

photo867024.jpg

Shin Se-kyung warned Nam Joo-hyuk not to kiss her.

On the latest episode of the tvN drama "Bride of the Water God 2017", Ha Baek was enjoying a bath in So-ah's house. She passed him a towel and said, "You'll get arrested for corruption of public moral".

So-ah told Ha Baek that he wasn't a god since he lost his powers and he was mad. He grabbed her by the waist and asked, "So if you lose your humanity does that mean you're not human?"

So-ah told him, "If you kiss me again, I'll sue you".

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-bride-of-the-water-god-2017-shin-se-kyung-kiss-me-and-i-ll-sue-you-107784.html

about ep 3:

there's some discussions in dramabeans, and they made some good points regarding the significance of the 'blood drop' when Soah was thrown off the building. it's like her blood was what bind Habaek to her, and it could be the reason why he was able to conjure a powerful water dragon. in the manhwa, Habaek's parents found out his powers when he summoned a king water dragon after getting angry. so the fact that he saved Soah by summoning that kind of spirit, gives us an idea the importance of Soah's existence to him; not just as his human servant...but something more precious. having conjured a water dragon, also signifies Habaek's royal status, and his current state as the heir to the throne. 

I have yet to fully watch ep 4, so I can't put my two-cents in the convo just yet.

This is going to be superlong so I will put it in spoiler so it doesn't overwhelmed the post; Pardon me for grammar or spelling mistakes.

My thoughts about ep 4:

1. After the epic fall and rescue, when they were back at the riverside and Habaek's failed attempt to turn the stone  into gold, Namsoori was crying of why he became powerless once again. Habaek casted a glance at unconcious SoAh and I think he knew his power surfaced only because of her. When she was falling and their eyes met, she gave out the same desperate plea "Please help me" as when she was drowning in the cold water 14 years ago. He answered it by transforming into a water dragon and  i'm positive his action was similar 14 years ago.

2. The assailant could be her ex-patient who held a grudge strong enough to kill her. we still need more info about this as SoAh couldn't recall anything. Habaek, on the other hand, with his ability to observe and make fast deduction of things, started to feel concerned for her.

Spoiler

3. SoAh was still trying hard not to accept the fact that Habaek was a god. But when she saw namsoori and heard him talking about power, she freaked out and running away from the tent like a crazy woman. She was too engrossed in rationalising about Habaek that it took her awhile before the real problem hit her - she was just a breath away from death. Immediately, panic struck her and she looked like she was going to passed out any moment. I love it that Habaek knew she was in shock and helped her get back to her home.

4. Good move from Namsoori for shoving Habaek inside her house and his lecture to SoAh about following a god's commands and everything.Habaek looked reluctant at first but decided to give it a try, only to be doused with cold water when he saw the state of the place he was going to stay at...haha. BTW< it must be her father's study - the room that Habaek peeked upon. Maybe he can find some clues about her father there. Namsoori taught Habaek a thing about 'King 101' here - never be ungrateful and ignorant to whatever you're offered because the difference between have and have not is like heaven and earth. Here we also knew that Habaek thought all the events going on was the High Priest's doing. 

Spoiler

5. Habaek noticed a suspicious man living opposite from the house. Later he's saw the same man in the morning and during their 'date'. Someone is actually stalking her. I guess the alarm in Habaek's mind is ringing like hell.

6. A question - Does Habaek sleep? He was always shown standing up, and deep in thinking every time at night. Same here and also in the morning when SoAh checked on him, he is still in that position. BTW, I love it that even though he was such an arrogant and acting high-almighty, he is a observant and thoughful person which is two criteria needed in a leader/king. Nice to know Habaek loves bathing...hahaha...and good thing SoAh knows more about him now so their interaction would be more comfortable.

7. SoAh got ' hit on the face' when Namsoori questioned why she became a psychiatrist when she said she doesn't want to know about other people's life and problems. Yeah..maja NAmsoori...we are already asking that multiple times already.

Spoiler

8.Bath scene - *hearteyes*nosebleed*weirdthought*

tumblr_no2bruQA6W1uusym1o1_500.gif

Spoiler

9. We got some more glipmse on Hooye. I think he is also a god and his PA is like Namsoori to Habaek. He is also in the process of learning about human. SoAh will sell her land to HY and it makes me wonder how Habaek will react when he knew this. 

10. We now know why SoAh is like SoAh now. She grew up yearning for her father's love. She's quite a meanie kid but i think I can relate with her.Deep down, she seems that she doesn't like meanie herself as well, but the circumstances make her behave like she did. It is a coping mechanism for her. We were never shown her father's face and this makes me curious what the twist will it be.

11. I think Habaek has taken very keen interest in driving. He keeps observing the driver everytime he's on the cab. He even asked SoAh for her car. How did he know driving can release stress?

Spoiler

12. SoAh's petty revenge is hilarious. Habaek could've wriggled her neck in frustration if that ahjushi didn't suck up to him. Habaek looked mighty pleased when the ahjushi kept praising his handsome face. His smirk and smug expression cracks me up. lol 

13. Noodle eating scene : I sense that Habaek will going to be in big trouble when he said he is forever forgiving of Moora/Hyera. Why am i thinking Moora doesn't mutually share this sentiment with him? Will he be betrayed by her? Their conversation about trust is quite deep and we got 2 different perspective from both of them. When Habaek brought up the cold water and  Soah's attempted suicide, we now know for sure both were together 14 years ago. She looked pissed off when Habaek indicated that someone she trusted (her father) was the reason she tried to kill herself. I thought she would question where did he know about that event. I'm sure she didn't  know the fact Habaek saved her that time. Or she doesn't remember? Like her memories was erased. And what if, 14 years ago, or some later years ago, they met, get married, had a daughter (please refer my point #18), but somehow, something happened to her that she need/forced to travel to the future to live as now Soah?

14. I'm concerned about his 'warning' - Don't fall for me. If you do, there's no cure". SoAh took it as hi usual arrogant talk but I think when he said that, he actually implied more that SoAh/we knew. Having watching this drama until now, I at least know now that whatever Habaek said, even it sounds out of context or ridiculous, it actually belaying something deeper than it actually seems. Can it be that Habaek knew what SoAh will be going through in the future with him? When she said 'Deal' (albeit half-heartedly and pissed off by his unbelievable warning that she bushed off as his dry humor), his expression when she said that is kind of a pleasant and contentment like he's teling himself  - ''Okay, I warned you and we made a deal, so don't blame me if anything happened''

Spoiler

15. Habaek and HooYe mutually have some issues between themselves. Habaek looked suspicious and wary of HY. HY, looks like he has an loads of secrets with him. Can't wait for their clash.

16. So Ah doesn't drink alcohol. She mentioned the ring. I speculate that she stopped  drinking alcohol because she broke up with her ex-bf,got badly wasted and ended up burying the ring (My speculation is based on years of watching Kdramas..lol). Btw, I've never been in a noraebang before but do you really have your country's national anthem on the list of songs?? lol. SoAh's gone all out in the karaoke my head hurts to see her doing head banging like that.

17. Habaek and Namsoori's reading and reporting the petty hate message is so funny. They treat it as if it's the biggest service they do to Moora. Why am I not surprised to see Our genius Habaek learnt to read in like 5 seconds? It's sweet that he's deeply concerned about 'that woman' and ended up waiting for her at the alley. The growl of his stomach everytime food was mentioned troubles me..the effect of the gluttonous god's kiss is that bad, huh? He's jealous and pissed off when SoAh talked about HY. HABAK?? Okay...i shouldn't laugh..give him a break..it's his first written word. Love it when SoAh pointed to him about what he already learnt so he can be a good king. Like SoAh, I also had bad premonition when habaek said he's going to be Moora's bodyguard. Getting kicked out by her was even humiliating. Next week we gonna see BiRyeom taking over tormenting Habaek..can't wait for it...I think it'll be a mess because Bi Ryeom could be SoAh ex and Habaek's gonna end up puffing steam out of his ears.

Spoiler

18. So, our Habaek-nim also need some time-out and me-time away from the suffocating metropolitan -  Mr Natural he is ! Funny that he looked taken aback when SoAh asked about the mother. Her words " Your DAUGHTER. Joo Mong's mother. Yoo Ri's grandmother. You're Yoo Ri's grandfather " What is she talking about? I remember when she googled 'Habaek'. The result that came out was - Song Il gook, Hae Mo Soo, Lady Yuhwa, jun Kwang ryul, Jumong , GoGoryeo, Oh Yeon Soo, Lady Yuhwa betrayal, and God of Water. What's that weird look he gave her? And his daughter's mother aka his wife would be her- SOAh- right? And why did he apologize to her? What had he done? (read this point with my point #13)

Okay, i'll stop here. My head feels like exploding. Arrgghhhhh...so many questions!! So many speculations!!

P/S : That's new OST,right?

3 minutes ago, LadyIgraine said:

about ep 3:

there's some discussions in dramabeans, and they made some good points regarding the significance of the 'blood drop' when Soah was thrown off the building. it's like her blood was what bind Habaek to her, and it could be the reason why he was able to conjure a powerful water dragon. in the manhwa, Habaek's parents found out his powers when he summoned a king water dragon after getting angry. so the fact that he saved Soah by summoning that kind of spirit, gives us an idea the importance of Soah's existence to him; not just as his human servant...but something more precious. having conjured a water dragon, also signifies Habaek's royal status, and his current state as the heir to the throne. 

I have yet to fully watch ep 4, so I can't put my two-cents in the convo just yet.

that may be one thing to put it. 

great that you were able to link bits of the manga to what was happening in the drama. I reckon that she must be his soulmate or that destined person that's why she is linked to him. On how they will portray it in the drama well it's exciting to know in the future. But it is rather ominous about So-Ah's fate, there must be a twist somehow if she were to live-- as they the gods say she is destined to die before HB returns to his world.

Bride of the Water God 2017: Episode 4

habaek4-00348.jpg

The mood is a little breezier today, a little lighter and sutbler, which I found to be a lovely interlude that feels appropriate for where we are in the relationships: a little tentative, but easing into comfortable rapport. It’s all about trust and faith today, and interesting to see even gods questioning and challenged by their beliefs. Gods: They’re just like us!

EPISODE 4 RECAP

habaek4-01096.jpg

Ha-baek rescues So-ah, and as soon as he tells her he’s a god, she passes out in his arms.

Namsuri squeals in excitement to see that Ha-baek’s powers have finally returned. Later that evening by the river, while they wait for So-ah to wake up, Namsuri urges him to try out his powers on a rock… yet when Ha-baek tries to do something with it, nothing happens. Huh.

So-ah fidgets in her sleep, reliving the encounter from the rooftop in her dreams. We see how the masked man had dragged her toward the ledge, accusing, “It’s all your fault! Because of you, do you know how I lived? Die!”

habaek4-01102.jpg

read full article>>> http://www.dramabeans.com/2017/07/bride-of-the-water-god-2017-episode-4/

so you know that he is the "WATER GOD" that mean we have more chances to see him in Towel1696a1374bc9e3c5bc4e7db57220ce3f8151e17d

b66d30a0dce57ab9bcd429f4cff0ffbe499c9d8b

The way he sit inside car is like KIng only... lol LOved it when he wrote their name on wall.. for a moment i thought she picked the stone which he was searching for...

what was that last scene... did he took her to Ocean in her thoughts... and they were in swimsuits... when he gave hand to support her back.. i was having weird thoughts... (shame on me.. :D )

WOnder why he said SORRY in the end..

11 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

As for the assailant who tried to kill SoAh, i can think of 2 possibilities.

1. Moora's sidekick - but it's quite impossible because she just known her and couldn't possible instruct SoAh killing on the same day they met.

2. SoAh's psycho patient. The man said something about ' it was because of you'. Maybe one of her patient had some issues with her strong enough to inflict harm on her due to her action or decision during consultation. We know all kind of people meet her for psychiatry problems.

i also think this are 2 different ppl. the man that tried to kill her first probably is a patient or even someone who new her bf, bc he asked her if she know what kind of life he had to lead bc of her. 

but i do expect now that threats will also come from the gods front, also in the preview HB say he will protect her, as if he feels that herlife is indanger bc of him

4 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

14. I'm concerned about his 'warning' - Don't fall for me. If you do, there's no cure". SoAh took it as hi usual arrogant talk but I think when he said that, he actually implied more that SoAh/we knew. Having watching this drama until now, I at least know now that whatever Habaek said, even it sounds out of context or ridiculous, it actually belaying something deeper than it actually seems. Can it be that Habaek knew what SoAh will be going through in the future with him? When she said 'Deal' (albeit half-heartedly and pissed off by his unbelievable warning that she bushed off as his dry humor), his expression when she said that is kind of a pleasant and contentment like he's teling himself  - ''Okay, I warned you and we made a deal, so don't blame me if anything happened''

i had a lot of things to say, but ill choose this for now.

i agree his warning is really a true warning for her future. when NSR first told HB ot to use last resort bc then the humans will not be able to forget i think he implied that they will not be able to lead normal life and also will try o follow the gods regardless of the consequences. therefor HB is really asking that of SA for her own future.   

Spoiler

i have to ask

where did ppl here read bad comments on SSK? i havnt really ssen as much as usual. was it in korean? bc actually i saw much less hate comments than what i read bf TGWSS & SFD

4 hours ago, amisyka77 said:

and why did he apologize to her? What had he done? (read this point with my point #13)

Spoiler

i think he was about to kiss her after she told him she would report himif he did it again without permission. and he bf said that it is his choice to do so or not. or it could mean the danger she will encounter from now on. but i think it is more on the romance between them front.

i also dont understand the family she mentioned, but he is about 2800 years older than her, and family relations in the gods is different as he told her bf in her car. ep 1

5 hours ago, JL Garcia said:

I think Habaek remembers her (?) the hot water scene he said something about she did 14 years ago

i was also wondering about that, since when we saw the flashback it was all in her head, and she never spoke of it to him. and he lost his powers so we assume he cant read minds. so it really sounds as if he new her bf. also after he saved the her patient he implied that he saved her bf. which could mean 14 years agon. and of course FATE.

6 hours ago, ktcjdrama said:

Really don't understand all the criticism towards SSK. She is doing great and I love watching her act. She is such a dear and candid person. In fact, she is the reason why I checked out this drama in the first place.

Anyhow, about the swimming together scene -- I believe it is through CGI, they are not really under water. They are using wind to blow the hair to create that swimming in water effect. I tell from their eyes as they were opening and shutting them.

Am really enjoying the show after it picks up in ep.3.

Spoiler

she is my bias, and actually i havnt seen as many hate comments as i used to, where did you read them? is it in korean?

i also think that they are not actually in the water. there are no bubbles. i think it was meant as a world of their own not on earth, as HB stated that all the "nature" we have here is fake. and with him she is safe in the water.

7 hours ago, aimerance said:

Now back to the episodes. I saw some comments about how the water scene in ep 4 looked fake and that it was cgi. But if you look closely, you can see that they were actually in the water and they hair looks wet especially the part when Habaek joined Soah, he came out from the water and both were wet. Also when you're swimming deep into the water, your hair and clothes tend to look like they are just floating in space away from the body and then fall back when you come out of the water. This also explains how they hair did not look wet. And more important this is a fantasy show and given that Habaek can control water, then everything related to water in this show should be viewed as fantasy.

i think that from above it showed that they were inside but when they spoke with their minds i think also that it was not inside, i think on purpose, it made me feel at least that it was not the same ocean as we have on earth but HB real ocean, as he said bf it is all fake here. so over there it will be different.

Nam Joo-hyuk enjoys rooftop bath in ‘Habaek’

Nam Joo-hyuk’s character, the almighty water god in “The Bride of Habaek,” struggled to adjust to everyday human life in Tuesday’s episode. 

restmb_jhidxmake.php?idx=5&simg=20170712

The water god Habaek was spotted by Soa, played by Shin Se-kyung, enjoying a bath on the open rooftop. 

In the episode, Soa comes to believe Habaek‘s identity as a god after a near-death experience.

The drama, a romantic comedy between a god and human woman, airs on tvN Mondays and Tuesdays. The series is available to the international audience on DramaFever.

http://kpopherald.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=201707121600241359632_2

Episode 4 left so many questions in my head! So Ah found out from the internet that HaBaek had a wife and a daughter. So does it mean that the history or fate is already written and can't be changed? Why does HaBaek not know or remember it if he's already lived 2800 years? Or the current situation -that he lost his powers and saved So Ah-these events can change history and fate as well?!!!

soooo many questions!! But I like it cos it makes me anticipate next episodes! 

By the way-sometimes I catch myself that I just stare at HaBaek-he is so SO handsome and gorgeous -he is like Korean Appolo:wub:

Hi everyone!

I'm new here. :)

Just watched episode 4 and knew that I'm all in til the end :D Great to find a thread like this! Thanks @Chellsee and everyone for a thorough dive through the first few episodes (I really enjoyed back reading)

Sharing also my two cents on the show below:

Loving the godly wisdom here and there

- "If you want money because money can give you happiness then what you truly want is happiness."

- “Your truth is to believe what you want to believe. Your way is easier, and less difficult. Some truths cover the eyes that way.”

- "You already are perfect as you are, why are you trying to cover yourself with money?"

Loving the rich story behind each character and their "fate"

- I agree with one theory that perhaps in year 2018, So-Ah jumps off the bridge in a desperate attempt to summon Ha-baek since whenever she cries out "Please save me" he'd be there

- Namsuri is now becoming so dear :lol: 

- Bi-ryum who loves women and "is not trustworthy" as per our water god himself..interesting.

- If Moora is in love with Ha-baek then will she be forever in love since there's no cure?!?

- The water dragon is just daebak! Maybe it comes out after a blood sacrifice? I shudder at the possibility though. :crazy:

And most of all, loving our OTP more each episode :wub:

- Both are proud yet sincerely looking out for each other. So I find myself like a school girl, eagerly waiting for their budding romance :wub:

Archived