[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

More happier moments which bring such a pang to my heart each time I revisit....

PJ: But Sis-in-law, your cooking is really amazing. Every year, I cannot stop myself from coming home and staying a few days because I miss your cooking so much... 

[Pingzhang snatches away the bowl]

PJ: Of course, it is also because I miss Older Brother

QX: (giving the bowl back to Pingjing) Eat more!

_hUZOfwmYEE6_3yeHhZEabilLoKasTuA-QuCls84pUm4HSqVVRhjSUV3CmA4c4Le_sPptsLLnOIN7rUVv5ep6X4zezjSyt21tZ_yWuUqtt0j_7Q72xswGkQUKxv826vSuHdmRICTn1yzmlgYS4BTvPD_OaHHbrX9WihmaM3xI5ptxX9g8BDeXhcdLlE2em4AB7VP-Sk3OVJfZdvLw5_FWKHZa_bq5JJ-8roOeTuWaBPC5edJ9x7GeKlsf17Yza_yPXc-BnEe9XT5ugASg7Ugq8vXHFZTYFqARFFERo8LnGGwvFN-qKAMayqD6WJ4i_WwWIT3rDZcMVPjEyi2AQ2rKE-LPU8Vek8XOCXIrg06osN4JHKss1FHRRphoF5BgfMSQ9X9cQFVk63muh7AUoJ0BMn2OCQ3QjyFbposB9u1tJ-HRfwOJVWoyBkdNO7IIA2Ntm-DOCFxiqgh17x1mZcSlUaFe7iN1MTc9jVQqsF5mN6EaEgan2tMcYc_mRlzv0WZmUTuopvFBCneeH2PM004DSbfwQQkW7QROTsMYtTvbTqDAwuP10NLVkwfkWuELKFWyF7FbC0z5AmwH9hn7GVzLyYvbcGgEisbPBx9tN4iW7xnAE0Ny1Ot778bVBIA3Xlcl16sGSP7sTDHgLzMvHC8ehr-8J6wQpuCMrw1EmZdwaki_-Nf-UsU0ce_Y37JpZyBpG6nacHcf34lS6jPiVEco4kH=w480-h270-no

PJ: (loudly) Of course I miss Royal Father the most!

PZ: Stop pretending to be good. That must be Housekeeper Zhou making his nightly rounds.  Royal Father will not come at this time of night. 

Hs1OLrDSoahaHs5ocTp23zHZOaT4RUXm12Viips_TIWWczFq7RbP9XfcGfth5iUAlmO4UFn0qJMuJXXpne8mWaThVjwEI1vPOnNzxgKafzoApk4bboTmBSVJ4NTzjTujKJGpdVO5Wn00DZzZeVBshxZQbPLXqT7mcyq7pauC2e6i23wKtPmKNcjzdW58e6rNDdKnl4LG_-wlZpSU56gt0WGvys6wvpkLxtDxzycyAl-KZYdx21RmQVXOuXi0IHqm8iZqVv-m6ReMMeNXSI5C-cuj6CCXnXGyQBoUTDiNcgAL4YJ-GtO9OS0bA4kiZA6W1uiArkFcrlSI8w7yCKdoOsZlUvOO4KgZsF5dTHPrTCPku4HxCXgQ6qPEwGu527AgCCN5JVKqj4dW3c31zn2U6JjFBSfHoU4i5mU7I5WX36FAXmsZiv42hUtxEk9lOH9vuunM1xoAdw4TuwCQ-CxgIxfuth2x_QSfVCimfDpWBCQ5XWKXrvvh1KucEjVMf9R-31C6udeZJjPy0TItVu5f0BPrfdcUVXj7eL9cmfjzwbbGYArBXaIxHuSjbxx1MxdmCPrISpGFvq9Bm2iwXXhpuHzMieLQEG2BazIvN95bPzFzBGsTkcV06wSwnb76ueVfvPEaYrLTG_5TFSh0l1d_OeMTpBB_pwXk0Y6NiD6oE2ljfehE-5oSk2UBUT-YdRPOzr-cDcUUjslIRINDEaQv6dei=w480-h270-no

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@liddi Now I feel really sad. The emotions just rushed to the surface. This is how I've been re-watching. First watch was for the plot, second watch was for Pingjing and Linxi, and third watch is for Changlin Family.

@Lids I know what you mean. The instrumental soundtrack was on my playlist earlier, and all the feels just come flooding back again, even without watching a single scene.

This BTS from 长林府の日常 Changlin Manor Daily is proof that the cast, even down to the pigeon, also did not want the drama to end!

On the pigeon's last day of filming:

They were shooting the scene where Pingjing releases the pigeon...

Ly248jMl96lCmbkjmooCZ9lznUWrtL9_YXAAHm8X5wtAcjwQXn9KkVMNIXUfhimiVElvtDWiFIZXPKvTb4NB_8cweFz61xzfSYHyxUR6_PVAdZ647-zmG6LsZQGN5x0RJfsYVdHVpMxqxcntlZo8jPtu9Ge1KkByDRsFfJBw-HuYtwbgwuEWQk16W1f0HV4wwskWffpNqZGHGMtN0GyN2TdXN_3kcF4-gUv4WZfayz_fFU6rpP__jwGI-2YyBGELwTi9SJLc-ptZNToz61pdav5Mqc8CU_FwZAfd6-qLpBNNXbg80Cyqtne0d7qHJjxODJXr88yGP_XnI6dOU7MTWf_9IaE83KkLJMuc14azL16ZkVjU4oheZNvl80yhQCbOK-WvZQ8bwzbRgTMfcHQbNqxYyXQM5dtNKIESF2tH0sFLmM7sWUX61L8mYpmgQ67EZxvEr4eF9Lx4d6Rl0ziHlU50hm2iGgpAoCRQOzNXcOfQILFGyD-9YqQNk_ymCCOsy8QvFBrTpigpcff3ylzplqiigYGmEKOzTpMrR4txPqgtG62RNlSpHpUplKhHjb7_Egx04NNeqT-hlWOiwupjrK1MuyH9RUD_4FK5jeBZLr2-jeOWjzyHxSng4CUT4hP0oK5I0rhuecOQssXKop2zdGXNoukkQ2gxKipomfluxtEz-tpU0HkYSKK0XcxS-VA8hfY8Lij5VkIHyxpMTv4SktKC=w480-h270-no 

only to realise it came flying back!

HXM (pointing): The pigeon is here!

Crew: It didn't fly away!

LHR: The pigeon came back. It recognises its home! The pigeon does not want to finish filming!

PoxjHvoDRLin8kG8kcCLGceFH1hyzK1m0fRFMeXj1wpbbh2BltFXojJK3vdlNKs3Mmfgr7m9GIzAdNeImqDlHLyOkTqIeG6fOG7KPVPAktKZXaomq4AXd2mUT66ODmgpNHEdsUDFsJx1mBwdQNEwJ0_Ld_2BXxnhU1ASXMgGKUa5NSlYTtTP5S2oyCKC9doGbPbrdSDOGOJByseDPTQVEAO4PUh6G37yD-QNzBF3-87oLOwlb59Iex9RRauZqamMkT1ftfFuady9cbuLN4r4TIg91BOKSBGI4FbMyITS6YywzDvT5vXEnt9bmyVmZU3UKCgb_SiNhy1lyeqOXvYYUOycCUycb_lHOD7zYgkIkvwAOYr7qCw1N8xZ1ABP5wEu5lbBpRh7eys631azpVV76hdajcS4EKWYO6d7IPzDIZcX9TyaaXwYSQ4HT9R334rx0IwkAUDoH5DiGsOZnACcnaiLBTf1bX6gdIj0qs0CUbl_OSx__8RCqkLHKoaflYFu1neXOFVs_P75_a7ZiX7q5Ks6_2ObdudphA6ko5WhrjiQGyfvLnixKqE8cmmzbXD7jaHW5s0bnkDBPfy-XAhVtcZBPdsDpGxOWP3B6CsRdohZHFPHNIy13zzLrFYtaDJYpXg1AyMIhBSvued4nNZyww4fV7kuvfgUQyPe9AphfTcX7YRYQFgmkIkZAn2e5oo4zbCGyS3zHT_R2xaNEGVNz86M=w480-h270-no

Us too, pigeon... us too! :(

@liddi Just wanted to say thanks so much for all the little tidbits, translations and BTS you are sharing for this fantastic drama.  As an international fan and non-Mandarin speaker it's really appreciated :)

On 05/03/2018 at 12:29 AM, JoleCole said:

Ever since I started to watch Nirvana in Fire 2, I've been obsessed with it and can't seem to move on to other dramas. I just loved the production quality and the details that the crew members of Daylight Entertainment put in this series. It's definitely one of the best Chinese drama sequels I've watched. And I absolutely fell in love with Liu Haoran's Xiao Pingjing. Watching his character development in the drama was such a enjoyable and heartbreaking experience. 

Xiao Pingjing will always be one of my favorite characters in Chinese dramaland. I love his character so much that I listed out all of his costumes in the drama. The costume department did a wonderful job to add maturity to the 19-year actor and to chronicle his character transformation. 

Pre-Episode 27 Costumes:

https://jolecole.blogspot.com/2018/02/costumes-of-xiao-pingjing-in-nirvina-in.html

Post-Episode 27 Costumes:

http://jolecole.blogspot.com/2018/03/costumes-of-xiao-pingjing-in-nirvina-in.html

This is awesome and so interesting!  Thanks for sharing

@raziela Thank you very much for your kind words! :) I am glad to be of some help, especially since I understand all too well what it's like, I myself also being dependent on someone's kind translations or subs when it comes to kdramas or jdramas that I love.

Even off-screen, the camaraderie of the Changlin family is just as warm and close as their alter-egos:

Sun Chun engaged in an avid discussion regarding their scene while HXM listens attentively

Hrx2V7prOC2XS1LIUjmmHmjwZm4rEUW1cWOghLaseHC4clhK2697sWHuTvIgEoSrXo3lcqNvqSD7v-k1eQc7Eao9XMJWzf9ZE2OHiW9ymgzdSVa8ZiqAKquHq8M44VDuuA2YPhW2SH6mdrXXIYNFF8Ji6Rehx3wr2Oma3cox55bN5Gxaw0ozRLRgbddQRbxAvRT_1YXJspAoT8avXXIJHMCmnRf5bAH_JBNyuvUcDW2O5CFw2uK5h9qVlC-sns1i1KxFhm8Epl7eyY93Dsi4FUxHlS_pI0C9xMWnD0B4B_gQe_OiDFocMC3foPWUvgGRh0wDizTZdjEAWdAYj8_G5HNOftJEw-Gro-4mWWYLiGv-rY2C1QSo3zHLkZSSoZAt-k0pmVY4WLT2EIuWpjK8nSE3epf9HpB3UOIYSVneRWFmC4qB53rSQwfltS6r5oqysSKdMJ-eEoZRMcOA0u8-rDLq_iKCSh51TA3QuGIBglncU3TEqBmcFjmHaIeBJe0Dgnvtg-2mRnv_rSn60E5SwPB2kwZxZxW6Kme3IRJKkm8gdgqXDeuou0jIYPw5x5DofBjlsCJSUCgr5wSmRq6AOTehUecYlbUf4wWPimZEhQH9gV2iIqcvIATqU4ZLN5G3kQjxzVPFDlKYmdLp_m52x2Zrws-FXJaZkEAwBoye74lF46g-GayZqWpo07GHO8nnNncPgnTkg3bcuSt1x0cz1iIh=w480-h272-no

Giving his youngest son an approving thumbs up after their emotional scene where Pingjing returns from the Northern Frontier, knowing that their family will surely pay the price of the victory

Thl6MOmdATSmZb__enPVhgNEVR1vDjlbcQihbBOFvltIO9mxR39mvYbvma3NLu7lwtpV4aKP2u3Ppw4xg0_XgzWhZ9iOyY0vpjrEwuVMIJRQoREKJtVEDWFFKt4d7sfragtWwpJeRCHoYW8mJ92UOVZVXzloMwHE1gzg8bGbnR6Jnk3Ub-gPMKVuuS06ZmJg6psqcAxHuUGKopzbPSQzWYBGxCA7knq3txvf-hLM7a_3SdOa9t0hxCa0oNS6K_6DVHdPQVjcU-YDV5Y9aCPSJxMrwdI72mHEnsjSe_lUJAAscHB2Vk9R60gfzf_TPYU0Hv_3X85bqC2NlWniHs1YW5y-O4vMf2rUte_mJlfACz58lOclS46yPeyeSbdijOIgzcHUG3HQpHhKiFD3d6JRKZd2GvMAD4j0LE3NQ7GGysD0npqdOoECUzocY_capvTPaam6sfqtD6AJbRbXzbTJVNWJHGvr1qlOS-stUFVJ07NdDLJ9rN22fWSnsZjbhW-mnNOhBXJt5ubG91YSrWlpigEVKZqr5zkpRv3zoc35ZJIsCyk70c_kdkVhS8eQ3dbPlHlaiYxUuZwgqlqPUkNu-0vjzUE8S-K6_MnP0-KGFTgJrU0EWST_USWyVHZt4mpwuoMMasftjLGw9VFwfHdzkDcaI-pTnMHvBvvjb7I3qT-y5UmgfLgmStHUF7PgNyDlOLll9JoJdDBhwms4smQiz7U6=w480-h272-no

On a far lighter note....

The bickering of the Changlin heir and his consort:

TLY: That white outfit is very dirty
[Her words are disparaging]
PD: He just got back from the war.
HXM: Why are YOU always wearing the same outfit? 
TLY (shrugs) [I'm also disappointed!]
PD: She has no other clothes! :D

CMIfigre5NmOvSRnlxfEa1blL1twjPEOi4YUTrl2vfM2GZAf7Q1zADsRpSmIQzWaZKszhgBSDqwJgBoR-PyXPuMlLHC7tl5iwRgvnquv0iNO_VlhnGu-orepLok1jiDjhoIDbwf7BgxalpMlHBlvER4oFXsz90ZY739V43zjFmeEj8aLM79OI7ohYgAms3hjb3a-GiJNgvbqfUfRGpxFTI-wEVSD6EUFBhPd-cOIh6Tjh4qOPc8W6AIgK9MJ6wfAZXKEq7NRVF_txcvefSX7Rq1HDS3DgIl_RRSctM_LcIX1nMLbd5WE9fsOqi1f5paY9fxRXeIS4w0wvo41GK9gEV3BO2wYNPnoJBfkEcE3Cpbd6vycer5rsQ4aghHsxRGzbhfFLLiFvHqrxXu23LHSkBxM1LbNeb_J_J3d4kCSmiAVpLK9lwpV9WJLOxwpWFsbcFdDc12YY5g0sDI-i_F5NP0xiGLEmb_n4Ck_0FNX0oaMoOYnQXheX7yG4iy6wbdjwu5TOBfiWFd-ujDIP_Wru7fw62z6E_eOSsEyh6FQwwYdUgl8r98NcepVzPlWm12MRE8aVRqyPydU4bs6egeVLzMJXXG2f0h9eZCaErudYbt4nuigLmvygx-hSj3XZOVwH5gpKzrsA-bOPi5olqwEnuuCHsHLh3j5V9mlrMaMdh6aR4Gp-HATBHT3vXxDhseXg43kvrTsZdjeZ-WYcWSnI8cg=w480-h272-no

Meanwhile, at the Northern frontier, during Pingjing's less than covert reconnaissance effort, his sword develops a mind of its own and tries to kill his own ally :lol:

eqJRRnJpN_7lOWV79lXz0jvVB0zcCMzHxp0u4-J0_ZeDlnWidz1oppdGT_xlGS4Usodd3RyxhteFLYUi2B3srJDF8f2ztsOMSmUm6F0px30BBow6kEpn9cTnu1lhUrHWjHd6lnFbuv_hVXI7DuL5bxVyUCJVcDoeHapmNleGzdSRBQVl5EmqYpix3tgomw257I0s3qKWLF3L3XD8cMj-3wnrGtjxrN5KtE3YCSqHfr_eMIuv6fFpNfBqMQapGnOvWSVSBv-p-EwoNFr4-e3OdN3GzwGPP7hZ7PC6P2YNl43tdiIV5XoX-F78VHy98ao6gkMyz2aBp9oGGWHw_F0b9iqlwNdihAOBWZaqVmgqa8XUhNdsotsn78xRuVST3ua3MbnRZD1dq-DsJizckHfhMTmVqQJNUj9pnQkFxzidpFRyyr38lB0DwQeZ1Vgkv_Ivm79LvscpEw2EbcyeWgQhYYZAQWaV6efOzDwbnppYYk05fhC-ysx57vaUZVzOtLDVC1TynzIG9_4ifhcJgneSNwwvXTYa_XV5TkOviwuQq6Y7dHGpEvJPikO8yHMieyn-Cztkt2oh4skiHU1kkfKpL8ZAwG749yPBnKGbQ7c9s6u9aO9v3FOnpT95XIgL31ILdPiAU9O_27cK3q7mxl8R-9C32IxFBaZZSE0ELFsk8HEc4aKQ1jUe6b17-qin6cRGfCWzNme7bYC4Jfi3-UEgHQKT=w480-h270-no

Nirvana in Fire 2 premieres in Japan via Eisei Gekijo 衛星劇場 channel starting 26 Mar 2018, with 2 episodes being aired every Monday night 9PM.

May this drama garner high ratings and more fans as it continues to be broadcast internationally.

006uuT5hly1fpb7zqfhnfj318g1uoh4k.jpg

cr. 琅琊榜之风起长林 Weibo

The 2018 Drama Excellence Ceremony was held 13 Mar 2018, and in attendance were Huang Xiaoming, Guo Jingfei as well as producer Hou Hongliang. There appears to be no mention of Nirvana in Fire 2 in terms of the drama excellence awards, which I presume to be due to the fact that the ceremony only considers completed dramas in 2017. 

Producer Hou's words in particular, had me on cloud nine - does this mean they are already planning a third installment? Please let it be so!

2018#电视剧品质盛典#  《琅琊榜》制片人@侯鸿亮 :谢谢观众的支持,我们努力把《琅琊榜》第三部做好!!【这就许给你们了啊啊啊!!】

2018#DramaExcellenceCeremony# <NirvanaInFire> Producer Hou Hongliang: Thank you for everyone's support. We will work hard and do a good job on the third Nirvana in Fire!! [This is a promise to you all ah ah ah!!]

cr. 电视剧品质盛典 Weibo

Huang Xiaoming won the 年度榜样剧星 Exemplary Star of the Year award, and was given the General helmet from Nirvana in Fire 2. Producer Hou, when introducing him, praised him as a "good man, good actor".

20180314112707147.jpg

His backstage interview can be seen here, and the following is the transcript (sorry, couldn't really make out the reporter's questions):

Then I must praise my own drama. Actually Nirvana in Fire 2 is a drama of very good quality, really worth watching. 

Because I acted in it (laughs)

In this drama? I think the best part of this drama is the relationship. For starters, I am from Shandong. Producer Hou, Kong Sheng and Li Xue PDs are all from Shandong, including many of the production team members, the directors, executive directors. As such, we have a good rapport. It is really rare. In so many years of filming, I have never cried on the last day of filming. In this drama, before even filming the last scene - actually it was the scene before that, I was already crying to the extent where I could not continue filming. This has not happened for many many years. I really could not bear to be parted from them. There is great affection, not just in the drama, but in real life - it's [couldn't catch this part] that kind of affection, so it left a particularly deep impression in me. Also, I enjoyed especial rapport, be it with Tong Liya, Liu Haoran. It's like, without having to discuss too much, we naturally had a relationship between husband and wife, between brothers - that kind of rapport. That is something that made me particularly happy. 

It can be considered as such, because I saw a lot of myself in this character. So when I acted, I also imbued a lot of myself in it
Such as how to treat your family, how to treat your child, your wife.
Actually over so many years, I have experienced success and failure, but I continued to try, because I really wanted to have a breakthrough. However, there is a price to pay with breakthroughs. Sometimes when there is success, I feel it's wonderful, but if it failed, then there are a lot of problems. Nonetheless, I feel that it doesn't matter because everyone has made mistakes in their youth, how much more over so many years of working experience. As such, any failed attempts would give me added experience to help me do better in future. So I feel... I am still young.

I think it is normal - it happens very often. However, what is most important is not this, but the affirmation from the viewers and the show itself

Guo Jingfei was there to accept the award on behalf of Lei Jiayin. His backstage interview can be viewed here:

I think first you need to take the time to write [the script], then take the time to produce, do your best to consider every detail and the creative process. I feel that Daylight Productions has accomplished this. Earlier on stage, I thanked Daylight Productions for giving me an opportunity to play a destructive character, creating Puyang Ying. Puyang Ying is a pleasant surprise for me. I have acted different types of characters on stage, but this is something I have never played.
My deepest impression is the professionalism of this production team. I filmed NiF2 with <can't catch the name of the film>. Thankfully, my scenes in NiF2 were more concentrated.  Once I went, I discovered that the creative environment of the production team is totally different. It is neither hurried nor slow, but systematically gives the actors a sense of security. I am extremely moved by this, because for a long time, I have not... apart from acting in plays, I have never encountered such a production team in my years acting in dramas.  Giving me the time to finetune the character, giving me the time to manage my pacing, analyse my dialogue.

It is the same on the day of shooting. Of course, in the past, more professional production teams would also give ample notice. Once I get on set, everyone is at a leisurely pace, and very quiet, to create such an ambiance for you. Take for example my first scene with Mei Ting (Queen Dowager Xun). Both of us were wearing coloured contact lenses and could not see each other clearly, so we were already in a state of confusion. However, in such a safe environment, I was not nervous even though I could barely see, and was able to immerse in my role. After the first scene, PD Kong gave me a very huge encouragement, because this was the first time I played this character and did not have any concept of what he is like. "In the midst of feeling [your way around], you focused on the light, did you?" (laughs) Yes, so I was very exhilarated and excited. 

In a moment of NiF1 meets NiF2, Huang Xiaoming posted this photo with the caption :) :

你们的蔺老阁主又年轻回来了[偷笑]@靳东

Your Old Hall Master Lin has regained his youth [偷笑] @JinDong

671ee283ly1fpbhki3smdj21hc0zkh6y.jpg

@Lids I am glad that the translations help you enjoy the different aspects of this drama. Like you, this drama continues to hold such a special place in my heart that all the current viewing fare just pales in comparison.

Xiao Pingzhang and his wife's scene highlights  (Part 1)

KS PD: Pingzhang's comforting words. Begin.
[Rehearsing the dialogue]
HXM: Although there is a delay of several years, it is a good thing we married early, and we are still young. After Miss Lin has nursed you back to health, we'll have as many children as you wish.
TLY: What if I cannot get well? 
HXM: No matter the outcome, I would naturally face it together with you.  Right?
TLY: (Sobs)
HXM: Right?
[It's really wonderful to be with you]

TLY: Let's do it.
PD: Okay.

[Accumulating the tears]
[Fans herself]

PD: Okay. Start!
[Shooting begins]
[Filled with love]

PD: Cut! Okay, cut!. Very good. The meaning is all spot on. Drink some water, drink some water.
[PD: Fill up on the ammunition]
[Drinking x1]
[Drinking x2]
TLY: Please make it a little colder.
         I'm an expert in crying scenes. 
KS PD: Just now the tears kept falling. Drink more water. See, once you drink, [the tears] come again. Knowing that you need to cry. 
[Drinking x3]
[Entering battle mode]
TLY: I had a drama, a Taiwanese tearjerker where I cried from beginning to end. At last, it got to a point where one day, the director accidentally kicked my water that was placed there. "Quick! Lift Tong Liya's tears back up!" (laughs)

PD: Okay. Start!
[Shooting continues]

[At the walkway of the courtyard]
KS PD: Momentary outburst. That is, you should exaggerate more. They are related. Do you want to have an outburst?
TLY: Then I would ask you if there is such a need. The scene seems to be fine now too. 
KS PD: It's fine too
TLY: It's settled then. (to HXM) I will burst out on you.
KS PD: Perhaps you thought that he - I feel - he has kept it from you. He understands you too well, and knows how you would react once you find out. He is facing you squarely, facing you squarely...

Xiao Pingzhang and his wife's scene highlights  (Part 2)

PD: Okay, everyone quieten down. Come. Yes, everyone quieten down. Okay. Now it's okay.
TLY: Are you all ready?
PD : Yes
[Everything is ready to REC]

[TLY fans herself. Finally nods]
PD: Okay. Start rolling. 3, 2, 1 Start

[TLY cries, rises up and gets pulled back down]
HXM: Xiao Xue!
TLY: Let me go! 
HXM: Xiao Xue!
[TLY screams]

TLY: I think my wig is falling off. Oh, it isn't.
[HXM: Xiao Xue, are you pulling my leg?]

PD: 3,2, 1 Start

[TLY cries, rises up, is pulled back down]
HXM: Xiao Xue! (holds on to her) It's fine. It's fine. (pulls her in his arms)
HXM: Although there is a delay of several years, it is a good thing we married early, and we are still young. After Miss Lin has nursed you back to health, we'll have as many children as you wish.
TLY: What have I done wrong that they would harm me in this way. Whom have I offended? 

[PDs moved by the performance]

HXM: No matter the outcome, I would naturally face it together with you. Right? 

PD: Cut! Okay. It's a wrap! It's a wrap! You've worked hard! You've worked hard!

A far more cheerful BTS!

长林府の日常 Changlin Manor Daily #69 - Pingjing slaps himself on the face within a second

ZHW: Hurry up and tell me the password!
LHR: What password?
ZHW: (to the cameraman) After he took away my iPad, he changed my password. Now I don't know what the password is. And he won't tell me the password
[ZHW moans in frustration]
LHR: (snickering) How could I have done something like this?
ZHW: Is that your conscience speaking!!!

[Then he turned and snatched the girl's handphone]
[ZHW chases after him]

[Recap]
LHR: (snickering) How could I have done something like this?
[slap on the face]

[ZHW: Chasing furiously after him]
[Finally snatched back the phone]

[Recap]
ZHW: Is that your conscience speaking!!!

[LHR beckons ZHW over]
[Come here, I will tell you the password]
[Whispering]
Crew: Ouch! Ouch! Our lady is stuck!

[At the door]
ZHW: I have to interact with the eyes. You must let me see your gaze
LHR: I have such big eyes. You still can't see? 
:lol:
ZHW: Oh, really? Let me see where [your eyes] are!
LHR: Shorty!
ZHW: Tsk!
[LHR stands on tip toe]
[ZHW jumps up and down]
[ZHW: I am taller when I jump!]

[PD pointing at the set]
ZHW: (laughs) My knees are weak, my knees! 
[ZHW: fear of heights]
[LHR gives her a comforting pat]

Oh boy, I just rewatched NIF 2 and I miss Changlin so much. I cried all over again as I took my time watching. I did not have to wait for the episodes. I expected that I will have a lot of company of re-watchers. Thank you all for your company. @liddithank you for the translations of the fun the crew were having. I'll be back. After the rewatch, I must say that  I am very happy with the ending. I thought it was the perfect ending. Like the Langya Hall Master said, PJ must follow his heart, and live how he wants to live life. It was also the wish of the departed elders. 

I can't wait for NIF 3 

@zenya22 For me, the rewatch is so much more painful, particularly the happier moments, exactly because we realise in hindsight, how precious those moments are, and how soon they would be lost, both to us and the characters who are left bereft. Now, I am dragging my feet going into the last 20 episodes, because I am so not ready to say goodbye to Xiao Tingsheng again, and the ensuing pain that comes in the second half of the drama. Hence, throwing myself into BTSes which put me in a far cheerful frame of mind, seeing the warm interactions among the cast and crew. I really hope that the drama will be given the accolades and awards it so deserves. Even not, I know the place it has carved inside my heart, and I believe so many other fans', which will never be displaced.

I fully agree with the ending - for me it is fitting, both for the context as well as for Pingjing. I particularly love how we are reminded that the spirit of Changlin does not depend on just one family, but it is a brotherhood united by a common goal of patriotism and valour, one that bodes well for the future of Great Liang with such men dedicated to defending her from her enemies.

Let us make a date to meet again at the drama thread for the third installment! Please let it be a reality!

On 3/4/2018 at 7:29 PM, JoleCole said:

Ever since I started to watch Nirvana in Fire 2, I've been obsessed with it and can't seem to move on to other dramas. I just loved the production quality and the details that the crew members of Daylight Entertainment put in this series. It's definitely one of the best Chinese drama sequels I've watched. And I absolutely fell in love with Liu Haoran's Xiao Pingjing. Watching his character development in the drama was such a enjoyable and heartbreaking experience. 

Xiao Pingjing will always be one of my favorite characters in Chinese dramaland. I love his character so much that I listed out all of his costumes in the drama. The costume department did a wonderful job to add maturity to the 19-year actor and to chronicle his character transformation. 

Pre-Episode 27 Costumes:

https://jolecole.blogspot.com/2018/02/costumes-of-xiao-pingjing-in-nirvina-in.html

Post-Episode 27 Costumes:

http://jolecole.blogspot.com/2018/03/costumes-of-xiao-pingjing-in-nirvina-in.html

Agree with you 100%. I don't know what it is (alright, maybe I do), but I have no desire to watch anything else at the moment. And 'yes' to what you said about Xiao Pingjing, his journey, and Haoran's portrayal of him.

Edit: just looked at your posts, and it's so awesome that you took the time to compile all that information. Since you seem to be very interested in costumes, why do you think that color (blue, gray, shades of blue) was chosen for him?

@liddi How should I thank you for translating the "Pingjing" part of the documentary? Send you some cookies? :cookie::wub: Thank you so much! Made my day. :)

1 hour ago, liddi said:

Let us make a date to meet again at the drama thread for the third installment! Please let it be a reality!

It is a date, yes, please drama makers, let it be a reality. I will be waiting

@badukstone You're most welcome - I am glad you enjoyed it, and I derive just as much joy doing so :)  @hyuki4ever kindly incorporated the translations into the videos of Pingjing's documentary, and Changlin Manor Daily #63 here - do check them out! :) 

@zenya22 Yes! Looking at the gap between NiF1 and NiF2, I'm guessing roughly a 3 year wait? :huh: No matter... I will gladly wait however long it takes, as long as it materialises in the end!

It's too bad I wasn't here for the discussion at the right time, although I, too, was watching. Have already written about it elsewhere, so gonna try to make this short. 

Loved it. Nothing else seems to be right after it, which usually happens when I find "my" drama. From its cinematography, costumes, and script to everyone's performances, it was such an enjoyable experience! It felt like watching a slice of life. It felt real. In "Midnight in Paris", Hemingway's character says, "No subject is terrible if the story is true, if the prose is clean and honest, and if it affirms courage and grace under pressure." Without the nitpicking, which is something some people might have a strong desire to do, that's how watching this drama felt to me. It's honest. The story itself, the ideas it presents for a discussion, the emotional baggage, - all of it is so true, so honest to me. 50 episodes in a blink of an eye. I would come home from work, looking forward to watching another two or three. As someone whose preferences gravitate towards the "romantic relationship" dramas, I appreciated the fact that this one was different; that it was about love's different forms. To me, none of the characters were cartoonish, and that specifically pertains to the baddies. 

I can talk for hours on end about every character and situation. I can praise the soundtrack. I can discuss the couples and how their love/the portrayal of it was just right for me. I can express my love for the brotherly bond as well as for the father-son bond. All of that might take pages and pages, so I'm going to hold off a bit. :)

I was absolutely ecstatic about the non-brooding protagonist. That's something I wouldn't have expected from this kind of drama. At times grieving, yes. At times impatient to a certain degree, yes. (However, not going to list all his amazing qualities; that's for another post.) But not brooding. Not in this falsely philosophical idleness. Not a let-me-teach-you-how-to-live-your-life type as some drama characters are. Pingjing is real and relatable, and recognizable. The one who loves life so much!  He's one of my favorite male characters now. (By the way, props to Haoran for bringing that something to the character, which made him alive. I tend to think it's Haoran's love for his craft, or his innate ability to breathe in life into whoever he is about to be. Or, maybe it's how much he believes in what he does.) Pingjing's journey was interesting and well-written, and wonderfully executed. There are basically three Pingjings in the drama, and the transition is seamless.
That one scene, when Pingjing makes such a brave decision to go on with the plan, and the one afterwards are very... internal. I could see the thoughts and emotions bubbling underneath the surface. I could feel it, and I dare to say I knew exactly what he was feeling. Also, that's a great point about loyalty and what it truly means. (I saw there had been a discussion about his decision in the finale, and I'm wholeheartedly on his side. It was a wise and the only right move.)

Anyhow, I promised to make this short... Loved it.

@badukstone Aww... why did you keep it short? Don't think there's a word limit for each post in Soompi... is there? :D 

But seriously, loved everything you said. which describes a lot of how I feel as well. Post-drama withdrawals are extremely real, and nothing that I have watched after NiF2 has managed to live up to the standard it has set, and I find myself going back to it again and again, unable to move on.

When we think about it, NiF2 is a drama that is woefully lacking:

- No jealous 2nd leads scheming to tear the OTP apart

- No vicious sibling rivalry

- No tyrannical parents[-in-laws]
- No doormat heroine and arrogant hero
- No devastating birth secrets

- No "Everyone loves me" syndrome, be it for the hero or heroine

- No cardboard villains

- No mopey heroes

- No convoluted, unnatural relationships

- No noble idiocy

- No blatant favouritism 

Every single character, be it the protagonists or antagonists, have backstories that are very well fleshed out, however brief that, while not necessarily justifies, but at least explains why they embarked on the path they did. There is no lopsided emphasis - instead we are privy to character evolutions, both for the main and supporting cast, which accord to us a more well-rounded view of the entire plot, and a far better appreciation, if not empathy of the journey that each character has taken.

This drama highlights and celebrates the idealof every relationship - parent and child, husband and wife, siblings, mentor and student, friends and comrades - all are given their rightful place, reminding us again what a healthy relationship is, in this day and age where the perverted is often given far more prominence. Contrary to the norm, we see 2 generations of sage kings, and one young king who is slowly but surely learning to also rule with wisdom through all that he has seen in the early years of his reign. It is such a novelty, when more often than not, kings are portrayed as paranoid, brutal and self-serving, without regard for the loyalty of his subjects. All this and more have left such a gaping hole in me that when the closing credits rolled, I could not, and still cannot move on from this universe and its unforgettable characters who have seared my heart indelibly.

13 hours ago, liddi said:

@badukstone Aww... why did you keep it short? Don't think there's a word limit for each post in Soompi... is there? :D 

Well, people don't always like to read long posts. :D 

That list of "things lacking" is pretty darn accurate. haha  Definitely some of the reasons why I love it so much. Do you know if there are any photobooks to buy or something like that?

Nirvana in Fire 2 also won Weekday Drama of the Year award at the 2018 Drama Excellence Ceremony! Congratulations!

@badukstone I have not heard of any photobooks, but I think the novel comes with 4 postcard photos of the leads. If you do find anything, please do share about it here!

@LyraYoo shared this photo on Twitter of the autographed postcards from South Korea's Chinese channel ZHTV 中华TV, which has me truly envious of whoever is lucky enough to own one of those!

Archived