[Mainland Chinese Drama 2017-2018] Nirvana in Fire: The Wind Blows in Changlin 琅琊榜之凤起长林

sugarplum892

Congratulations to one of my favorite dramas! Nothing comes close to you at the moment. It's almost a daily necessity for me to talk about it. 

Goodness gracious! I, too, want those postcards! And a figurine of Pingjing or something. And even more love for this drama. 

@liddi Alright, I will. :) That's too bad there's nothing like that... I'd buy it. 

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like everyone else I'm struggling to find another Chinese drama that can compete since this ended.  All others pale in comparison and the list of the same old cliches that appear in every other C Drama listed in @liddi's post above bore me and have me switching off. 

I'm not as articulate as so many of the wonderfully eloquent posters on this thread but I think the factor that most stood out and endeared me to this drama is the sense of family and love I felt from the Changlin family at the centre of this drama - both familial and romantic.  I genuinely cared about them all individually and as a group. This drama ticked every box for me from the direction, fights, cinematography, sets, costumes, the acting, the story, the characters, the two romances, protagonists, strong heroines, and-what to me-was the perfect ending for Ping Jing and Lin Xi.  Actually I was surprised to see the ending was somewhat controversial here. To me, it seemed so right for Ping Jing's character and journey.

So enjoyable seeing the camaraderie in the behind the scenes videos posted by @liddi.  Also Liu Haoran is quite the prankster, isn't he? :lol:

22 hours ago, raziela said:

Actually I was surprised to see the ending was somewhat controversial here. To me, it seemed so right for Ping Jing's character and journey.

I agree with you 100%. I thought it was the right choice and a very wise move on his part. Frankly, I can't see him making any other choice. It even goes along with what Changlin was/is all about. Made complete sense to me.   

And same here, I, too, cared about all of them. If someone was to play the opening theme for me right now, I would be swinging from side to side with my hands up in the air. :D

I was watching it with my mom. (She kind of joined.) And you know that whenever she says something like "let's continue" or "how many episodes do we have left", she likes it. :)

6 hours ago, rileyelizabeth said:

@badukstone I am also looking for the NIF2 photobook. Didn't find any for NIF previously. I've only got photobooks for Feng Zhong Qi Yuan / Sound of the Desert that I really love. ^_^

I wish there was something like that. I would love to buy. It doesn't even matter that I don't speak the language. I'd still add it to my collection. :) 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:08 PM, hyall said:

I liked the ending. I felt that his brother and father wanted him to be true to himself. He does not want to be that General and I think he picked the right life for himself and his love.

Yup, and it's also good for him to remove himself from any kind of political struggle that could've ensued; any doubt, any attempts by others to create factions, etc. His reputation, his experience, his connection to the house of Changlin, his fighting skills, his brains, and everything else make him too powerful and a desirable target. 

A creative, amusing documentary written in the form of Qianxue's diary :D 

Behind the scenes Documentary: Changlin Royal Manor Daily

[Huang Xiaoming (Xiao Pingzhang)]
After all, her surname is Meng. You know that her granduncle is Meng Zhi, who is slow-witted in the first drama. So do you think... right?

Sunday:  Clear skies
I have married into Changlin Manor for some time already, but I am still guarded when I see the dignified Royal Father.
However, even that rascal Pingjing is still very afraid of his Royal Father after so many years, so how much more I myself.

[Liu Haoran (Xiao Pingjing)]
I stay in the same hotel as Teacher Sun Chun. 
[Inner cries! The blanket needs my company ~~]
Since I am the type who prefers to sleep longer, 
[A boy's daily routine]
I wash up very fast, possibly 10 minutes, 
but I do not blow dry my hair because I find it troublesome.
One day, I washed my hair but it was still wet. When I went down to have breakfast, I met Teacher Sun Chun

LHR: This morning when we left, I was scolded by my father.
PD: Why?
LHR: I washed my hair but did not blow dry. When I pressed the elevator button, then... once I pressed the elevator button...

[Liu Haoran]
Teacher Sun Chun said, "Haoran, you cannot be like this."
[Royal Father's well-meaning urgings]
"You must blow dry your hair. You will catch a cold like this, which is bad for your health."
I said, "Okay okay okay, Teacher Sun Chun. I understand!"
On the second day, once again, I washed my hair and did not blow dry before leaving the room. I even thought that after all, I was not having any breakfast, and Teacher Sun Chun won't be there during the make-up session.  When I pressed the elevator button, the moment the doors opened, Teacher Sun Chun was standing inside!
[What a coincidence! It must be a special fate]
"Go back and blow dry your hair."
I said, "There isn't enough time! There isn't enough time!"
"Blow dry your hair."
"Okay!"
[Immovable stance]
And thus he chased me back to blow dry my hair before coming out. (laughs)

LHR: Go back and blow dry your hair 

[Old Prince's quote: Blow dry the hair, Prevent catching cold]

[Dignified, serious Royal Father]
SC: Look! Look! My oldest son is so handsome!

[Worrying over the entire family]
SC: (to TLY) This is not acceptable! Not acceptable! You cannot expose your neck like this!
[puts a scarf around her neck]

[Tong Liya (Meng Qianxue)]
"Yaya, why didn't you wear a scarf again? You will feel very cold like this."  
I said, "Actually I am not cold."
"Do not make excuses. Go wear a scarf."
The first day, he helped me wear a scarf. I said okay, I will wear one tomorrow. The next day, I still did not wear a scarf. 
"Look at you! If you don't wear a scarf, you would catch a cold very soon."
Sure enough, he was right. Perhaps I was chilled so I lost my voice

LHR (coughing): Tracheitis
TLY: Didn't wear a scarf! 
[Both of you~~ lacking Royal Father's gesture of love]

Monday: Clear weather
The dignified Royal Father also has his adorable moments! Thanks to Royal Father, everyone can be a little healthier.
However, although his health has not recovered since getting wounded, Pingzhang is still rushing to attend court. He's really...
However, no matter what, I am still a virtuous wife, helping him dress up smartly to attend court!

Changlin Royal Manor
7:00 AM

QX: Breathe in.
[tightens Pingzhang's belt]
[Pingzhang: It's not that I put on weight! It's the belt that has become thin!]
QX: Are my actions too rough?
PZ: It's not.
[Qianxue arranges his collar, then drapes his cloak around him]
PJ: Older brother, why are you dressed like this today?
PZ: The physician says I can go out already. Naturally, I must go to the palace first. You have not greeted His Majesty officially since you came back. Let's go together. 
PJ: Yes. 

HXM (to TYL): Hey, help me tie this.
TLY: Ah? This one needs to be tied?
[Cloak starts falling off]
[Sister-in-law's unique method of wearing clothes~]
PD: Okay!

[Huang Xiaoming]
She is especially tomboyish, especially like a boy. Her character is careless, flailing about. Sometimes I suspect that she is actually a guy. 

TLY: Breathe in a little!
HXM: I've breathed in!
PD: Breathe in a bit more! Ok!
[Wang Yongquan demonstrates to TLY what to do]
WYQ (tying HXM's cloak): Once this is done...
HXM: Change the direction
WYQ: Sister-in-law, once this is done, you would also have finished tying
[A practised hand]
WYQ: Then when you (HXM) turn, (LHR says) Oh! You are dressed like this! Like that!
[Cannot exceed 100 marks!]
HXM: Okay
WYQ: Let us try it like this 
[untie the bow]
HXM: Just tie it into a bow
TLY: I'm a little stupid
HXM: No, just tie it into a bow, but it has to be a rather big bow

[Huang Xiaoming]
She is a particularly unpolished person, could not understand how to tie the cloak. I said, "How is it I am able to tie it in no time?"  She said, "Wow, Brother Xiaoming, you are really incredible."
[frowns]

[TLY tying the bow without much success]
[The power of a virtuous wife + 1]

Wednesday: Cloudy
Pingzhang actually told me to my face that I am too tomboyish! What nonsense! He deserves a beating!
However, come to think of it, Pingzhang is really worried that Pingjing has not returned, and would look at the map every day. However, the one who is suffering is me!

[Prop: Small map]
TLY: Director, can I first cover my face?
PD: See if you need to be a little more playful
TLY: Or should we look at it together, or...
[So many ways for you to choose]

[TLY has a big shock]
PD: (being shown a huge map) That's fine
TLY: I thought too much
PD: I think it's more fun to cover your face
TLY: I won't cover any more. This is too big
[Hides behind the huge map]
[Secret martial arts skill of the Meng family: Disappearing magic]
PD: Turn around, it should be the same as this
PD 2: Why is it so big?!

[Filming]

TLY (to HXM): Aiya, if you are so concerned, why don't you hold the map yourself! 

[Looking at the map together]
HXM: (points) Qi Zhu Creek
TLY: (flips the map around) Sigh! Let me see

PD: Okay, cut!
[TLY collapses laughing]
HXM: Director! Director! I think this would be better. I'm sorry, let's do it again. I thought of a new method. Which is she... perhaps this would be more funny.... you hold it up until you were fed up, then the map would droop down. Sigh! Then I would pull you up again, then after a few words, you... when you talk, your head would peek out, but once your head peeks out, I would pull it back up again. Twice is enough. 
PD: Okay okay
HXM: What do you think? 
PD: That's fine.
HXM: Then let's try

Thursday: Cloudy

Pingjing has come back! Happy!

[Pingzhang turns around and become the host]
HXM: You go and warm the blanket first. I will come after I have had a few words with Pingjing. 
TLY: Why should I be the one to warm the blanket again?
HXM: My body is already so chilled, you still want me to warm it?

[Family reunion]
HXM: I have asked your sister-in-law to specially prepare several dishes for you. Take the opportunity to eat more nutritiously while you're home. 
LHR: Sister-in-law, your cooking skills are really amazing. Every year, I cannot help coming home and staying a few days because I miss your cooking so much
[Sister-in-law lovingly adding more food]
TLY: Eat more
KS PD (to HXM): You have already taken your medicine. The etiquette coach has added another (action) - (to TLY) you can help him - gargle.
HXM: Aiyo, how obedient!
TLY: Let me massage his feet instead
KS PD: No need! Let him gargle, spit it out. Etiquette coach, are you here? You're too lucky.
HXM: Can I stay sick?
Coach LB (to HXM): Please block (your face with a handkerchief), teacher. 
KS PD: You must block it yourself.
HXM: Oh! Block! Block! My apologies! I'm used to being uncivilised! 
[TLY uses a handkerchief to dab his mouth as everyone laughs]
KS PD: This is used to being uncivilised! This is more like Meng Qianxue - straight away dabbing his mouth roughly
Coach LB (to TLY): Help him block. Cover then turn back. That's it.

[Rehearsing the dialogue]

[HXM breaks into a fit of coughing]
LHR: Older Brother, your wounds are taking so long to heal. It is really worrying. This Old Hall Master is really something, just dumping you and going off. Thank goodness Lin Xi has entered the capital with me. Tomorrow I will invite her to come and see you.
HXM: That is Miss Lin. How could you just casually call a girl by her name? 
[HXM has another coughing fit, gripping TLY's hand as he does so]
[Wife, please discipline this silly boy!]
TLY: That is Miss Lin. How could you just casually call a girl by her name?
PD: Have you not offended herself enough?
HXM (in between coughs): Have you not offended herself enough? Instead of learning the good at Langya Hall, you have learnt to become so frivolous! 
LHR: I show Miss Lin a great deal of respect. Unlike you, after Sister Meng was adopted by Mother, you requested His Majesty to bestow her in marriage to you when she was only 14. And you dare to call me frivolous!
[Royal Father: They are all my good sons]
[TLY throws a towel at LHR who slowly falls backwards and notices the table behind him]
LHR: Please move the table. 
HXM: This is funnier. Let us both throw at him!
[The best husband and wife team]
HXM: We pick it up together. We are both particularly in sync. Pick this up together and pelt him with it

Friday: Clear
Today there was a sudden downpour, I am a little concerned... Could it be, could it be something bad is about to happen?

Changlin Royal Manor
23:00 AM

TLY: But you don't understand. This girl normally doesn't show any expression, 
[Lin Xi: Why do I suddenly feel like sneezing]
TLY: How could someone so young learn to be so stable?

[Marquis of Mozi arrives]
TLY: Who is it?
HXM: What is it?

[Filming QX rushing off at the sound of Marquis of Mozi's arrival and grabbing her sword]

TLY: Should I drag the sword, or rush out with the sword outstretched?
[Sister-in-law is cool no matter what~]
TLY: Cool!
PD: She's off to slaughter people
[Langya's 13th Sister]
PD: Tonight I won't be sleeping.
[HXM acting scared]
TLY: You sleep
PD: You sleep

[Filming the people running in the manor]
PD: Who dares to break into Changlin Royal Manor!

[TLY standing at the door]
[Quietly observing]
PD: No need to be furtive. Open (the door) wider. No fear! Hero! That's right! A hero totally does not fear this. There is no fear even when your body is facing out directly. Okay! Let's roll. Cue!

[TLY closes the door]
TLY: You sleep. Tonight I will keep watch. 

Resolutely keeping watch at her post
2:00 AM

HXM: Don't wait anymore. Hurry up and go to bed. I dare to bet with you that the Marquis of Mozi won't be coming tonight. 
[TLY mulls]
HXM: What oh? Hurry up and come to bed! I have even warmed the blanket for you already. (pulls her arm)
[TLY laughs and places the sword by the bedside]
HXM (moves the sword aside): Can you please don't put this here? It's very intimidating! You look like you are plotting to kill your husband, do you know that? 
PD: Okay, cut! 

Sunday: Cloudy
Lately it has been REAL eventful!
Today I hear that a very talented fire acrobatic troupe has come to town.
Tomorrow will go and have a look with Pingzhang!!

[PD swiping the sword against the candle flame before finally blowing it out]

@liddi thank you so much..

35 minutes ago, liddi said:

I show Miss Lin a great deal of respect. Unlike you, after Sister Meng was adopted by Mother, you requested His Majesty to bestow her in marriage to you when she was only 14. And you dare to call me frivolous!

so.. this is one of the reason why pingjing was so late to propose linxi LOL

36 minutes ago, liddi said:

HXM (moves the sword aside): Can you please don't put this here? It's very intimidating! You look like you are plotting to kill your husband, do you know that? 

too bad this scane didnt include in the drama :(

@hyuki4ever I know right? From what I gather, those additional lines were actually Huang Xiaoming's ad-libs - too bad they were not retained.

As for Pingjing, weeell... as he complained in another BTS, everyone knew but nobody would tell him that Lin Xi was his betrothed, and that he was well within his rights to propose to her! Poor boy... :D 

On 3/24/2018 at 9:51 PM, liddi said:

As for Pingjing, weeell... as he complained in another BTS, everyone knew but nobody would tell him that Lin Xi was his betrothed

i want to ask about this a long time ago, did LHR said this as pingjing or himself? with his reaction i though he said as himself but that is a bit imposible coz there's blood transfusion scane where HXM said about linxi identity..

Finally finished NIF 2 and here's my thoughts on Ping Jing's ending. I don't see him traveling around with LX just to only assist her in her endeavors. I can see him being one of those classic wandering swordsman heroes who help random people he comes across and start to make a name for himself in jianghu. PJ himself without the Changlin title should be relatively unknown outside of the capital and the Changlin army. Even Prince Kang of Yu didn't know who he was. I'd love it if on his travels he'd make lots of friends with strong warriors by helping them and making a pseudo Jiang Zuo Alliance.

On 3/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, meijiOrO said:

Finally finished NIF 2 and here's my thoughts on Ping Jing's ending. I don't see him traveling around with LX just to only assist her in her endeavors. I can see him being one of those classic wandering swordsman heroes who help random people he comes across and start to make a name for himself in jianghu. PJ himself without the Changlin title should be relatively unknown outside of the capital and the Changlin army. Even Prince Kang of Yu didn't know who he was. I'd love it if on his travels he'd make lots of friends with strong warriors by helping them and making a pseudo Jiang Zuo Alliance.

That's fine with me. :D

Archived