[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Better Man/ 我的極品男友

jenny59229

6 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Grandma went over to raise the issue of YX cohabiting ("trial marriage") with ZW. Dad was incensed at the suggestion so ZW went over the the flower shop to mollify him. But after thinking it through, ZW came to the conclusion that the idea wasn't a bad one so that he and Uncle Wu could become better acquainted. Plus YX likes the idea of them seeing each other first thing each day everyday. (It's not as if they don't see each other almost everyday anyway) So he goes over again this time to say that he'd like to move in with YX but live with the Wus as a way for Uncle Wu to get to know him better and not be parted from his daughter at the same time.

HA! That spicy grandma! I could see why the father would be incensed as well, I sure would be! What if they decide they don't want my daughter in their family? Now she's "used goods". Well, that used to be the old-fashioned way of looking at things, but it still applies in a somewhat traditional culture. Fathers especially don't want to see their daughters hurt or mishandled. Reputation and face is so honored in China, that I don't think he'd approve of that either. I've never seen one applying this "trial marriage" stuff before in any storyline. Is this something that is approved of in China? I would think that the Chinese would consider this a "Western" concept. 

If this is going to fly in the story, they've got to do a makeover on YX. She's rockin' those overalls like there's no tomorrow. She must own every pair in Taipei.The character she is portraying is becoming a "cartoon" of itself. (baby-like talk, mannerisms, etc.) So, this type of speech pattern, way of dress, etc. will not fit once she is married to the eldest son. Maybe the mother and grandmother can give her an overhaul. I remember watching the Korean show "Heard it through the Grapevine" where the lower-class girl marries the Chaebol son and the mother bought her a whole new wardrobe because she was expected to wear dresses at home, etc. Makeover needs to happen in personal habits, speech,etc.Let's see if this happens!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a number of posts within the last 24 hours! Only means we have plenty to talk about hehe...

Grandparents always mean well...and Grandma did admit that she only knows how to raise/view marriage and relationships from the male perspective since she has a son and three grandsons. YX's dad definitely has a right to be upset..and at 22, dad's not ready to let go of his youngest daughter. 女兒就是爸爸的前世情人!

I hope/think You Zhen is going to be the rock that Zhen Kai needs for this upcoming story arc. She may be the only person that he lets in since she's not "family." This birth storyline is only making me hate Yan Zhi even more. He really is out to ruin the entire Yang family for his mother's death.

Yi An and Zhen Hao's kiss was :heart:! 超唯美 from a cinematic pov and the buildup was super duper sweet and romantic! Did you all notice how Zhen Hao hesitated and waited for Yi An to give the go-ahead before he kissed her? My heart was about to explode because that is just so sweet and indicative of how much he respects and treasures her 太浪漫啦! And Yi An's present to Zhen Hao for his second birthday is bringing him home to dad as her boyfriend...altogether now.."awwwwww!" I think dad may already have a favorite son-in-law!

I looked at the production credits and a good bulk is from the team of Refresh Man and Bromance. The director is also the same has Refresh Man and Dear Mom, which was really popular.

Can anyone please translate the conversation between TX, ZW and the grandma???? Please :tears::tears: and the part where YX ask ZW if he really wanted to get married right now ( I only know that because of the previous episode end was translated). What was his answer?:sweatingbullets::tears:

I really don't like the doctor. you  would think that because he's a doctor he would know sometimes doctors have to make choices that they don't always like. I don't see why he's trying to punish ZH when he had absolutely no control of that situation and was about to die himself. You can tell he's blinded by anger because if he was smart he would investigate the situation because by the flashback it look like his mom had already passed.

1 hour ago, Marie K said:

I really don't like the doctor. you  would think that because he's a doctor he would know sometimes doctors have to make choices that they don't always like. I don't see why he's trying to punish ZH when he had absolutely no control of that situation and was about to die himself. You can tell he's blinded by anger because if he was smart he would investigate the situation because by the flashback it look like his mom had already passed.

Well, I think there's more to it than that, there may be some point he knows about that wasn't let out in the storyline or covered yet. He seems ADAMANT that his mom was left to die. However, there are more doctors in the hospital than just 1! He might have been in charge, but it seems preposterous that a hospital would INTENTIONALLY let someone be left to die. Even those that are on the way out are given pain killers and meds/morphine for their last days in hospice. It would seem very strange that a hospital would not let any treatment happen to that woman. Trained as a doctor himself, he knows during training and rotations in other fields when you are a rookie in the hospital, not every doctor can manage everything, no matter HOW good he is. There should be PLENTY of staff to cover what happened, and he knows it. This whole storyline is preposterous, especially for countries like Taiwan. They are not out in some small town in the country in a backwater province either. 

:crazy:

I have just started watching this series. I'm only at ep 11.

I love the ZK/YZ pairing of the whole bunch. I love their bickering. I love that YZ give ZK back as much as he give's her. 

The older brother ZW/YX pairing is terrible. The actress acting like a spoilt brat is awful. So over act in lots of scene and the wool in her eyes whenever she sees him ... omg. .. is too much. I cringed so many time and is annoying to watch her. I wish writer would pair him with someone his age in the show. She is too kiddy for him.

The ZH/YA is OK but I can't stand YA being so meek and no backbone. She's afraid of everything and has very low self esteem & confidence . ..so frustrating to watch

8 hours ago, cheekychipmunk_stv said:

The ZH/YA is OK but I can't stand YA being so meek and no backbone. She's afraid of everything and has very low self esteem & confidence . ..so frustrating to watch

Hehe...that's actually a very important element with this couple. Yi An's personality and her being scared of or apologizing for everything is what draws Zhen Hao to her. While the oldest and youngest couple are the age differences, Yi An and Zhen Hao are the personality/opposites attract pairing. They're arguably the most popular couple (preview videos with them are usually the most viewed on FB) and it's the second time the actors have worked together as a couple.

There's like another 40 episodes so I'm sure the reveal with YZ's mother's death will be come out in due time. 

Ah ZK/YZ couple have me so hard I'm going to die. They are so snarky and snippy with each other that I can't help but have them as a fave. But OMG if I don't get a pregnancy scare (or straight up baby) I'm going to be so angry I might quit. 

I'm over ZH/YA. Totally over them. The sky can fall and all their relationship go through the wringer and I will still just blink slowly. Yi An is driving me absolutely crazy and I can't stand her. They were never my favorite, in fact very far down from ZK/YZ, but this whole Yan Zhi nonsense is sending me off the roof. 

Surprisingly I'm warming up to ZW/YX. They still drive me crazy because she needs to either be an adult or stop trying sit at the adult table, but I can see that they are trying to make her at least a little more likable. Now all Zhen Wei needs to do is convince me that he is actually sexually attracted to Yi Xin and I will not hate them. Less of dead ex's little sister would be fabulous too. She's too pretty for words and it's just not fair, especially since she's such a witch.

6 hours ago, merinomedia said:

Surprisingly I'm warming up to ZW/YX. They still drive me crazy because she needs to either be an adult or stop trying sit at the adult table, but I can see that they are trying to make her at least a little more likable. Now all Zhen Wei needs to do is convince me that he is actually sexually attracted to Yi Xin and I will not hate them. Less of dead ex's little sister would be fabulous too. She's too pretty for words and it's just not fair, especially since she's such a witch.

OMG I agree. ZW/YX are actually my favorite couple tho. They do have their sweet moments but I am waiting for hint (or clear as day moment) that ZW has some kind sexual attraction to YX and visa versa. But unfortunately I think that will be kind of hard because  of the actress. I wish the made YX a mix between YZ and her current self, mature with a silly side.

So, I decided to go back and watch some earlier episodes mainly because initially, I watched a lot of episodes raw or partially subbed. This drama is so addictive! I think it was "@blukat" who said that each couple represented a different element, and I wholeheartedly agree. Yes, Zhen Wei/Yi Xin are the air couple. They are light and airy and cute. However, I don't feel any sexual attraction between them, but I don't dislike this couple anymore. Nai Nai is too funny, she wants another grand, and why not get the ball rolling with the eldest. Yes, she is rushing things, but Yi Xin should have taken this into account when she decided to hitch her wagon to a 40 year-old man. Zhen Wei is extremely patient and kind.

Yi An and Zhen Hao have made me happy lately. They are lovely as a couple and if that kiss was any indication, they are brimming with chemistry and sexual tension too. I just wish Yan Zhi would go jump off of a cliff and leave them alone. He has really turned into quite the jerk. I did find it interesting how both families seemed ecstatic that these two are now together. I want to see a lot of sweet moments between them. Also, I realized that we were all to focused on how slow Yi An was to confess and accept Zhen Hao, but Yi An has "game". I saw why Hao Hao fell for her. She knows exactly what to say to get to him. When he was upset after finding out about Yan Zhi, she told him that no matter what kind of Zhen Hao he was, she would stay by his side. :blush: Then she told him she did not like seeing another woman feeding him, and he very quickly and earnestly said he would never let that happen again. Yeah, it's subtle, but Yi An has game. I can't wait to see what she says to him in the future.

Zhen Zhen and Kai Kai....Again, he is thicker than molasses. When he was drunk the second time, you know, right before they did the deed the second time around, he confessed that when they weren't speaking, he had a BIG HOLE in his heart. Friends don't normally say things like that, that is usually between a man and a woman. And again, they have slept together twice, umm, yeah friends don't normally do that either. This whole act he is putting on about being her boyfriend is silly. I think deep down, Kai Kai is shy, which is why he's never had a girlfriend before. Then again, he has a straight forward personality and Zhen Zhen handles it quite well, which is why they get along so well. I get the feeling that his mom being sp hard on him resulted in him being a bit isolated and alone, which is why he is so close to his brothers, but everyone else feels like a colleague. By the end of the BF period, he is going to have a harder time adjusting to them just being friends than You Zhen. 

My theory on Yan Zhi. I have a feeling there is a very important element regarding his mom's death that he knows nothing about. I get the distinct feeling he will be eating humble pie before it is all said and done. 

3 hours ago, Claudia Ximena said:

can someone please tell me where I can find the ost or the songs that this drama has? I really love them but I can't find it :(:(:(:(:( 

The songs are all on youtube. Here's a playlist with the majority, if not all the songs. The main theme song is my favorite!

4 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

So, I decided to go back and watch some earlier episodes mainly because initially, I watched a lot of episodes raw or partially subbed. This drama is so addictive! I think it was "@blukat" who said that each couple represented a different element, and I wholeheartedly agree. Yes, Zhen Wei/Yi Xin are the air couple. They are light and airy and cute. However, I don't feel any sexual attraction between them, but I don't dislike this couple anymore. Nai Nai is too funny, she wants another grand, and why not get the ball rolling with the eldest. Yes, she is rushing things, but Yi Xin should have taken this into account when she decided to hitch her wagon to a 40 year-old man. Zhen Wei is extremely patient and kind.

Yi An and Zhen Hao have made me happy lately. They are lovely as a couple and if that kiss was any indication, they are brimming with chemistry and sexual tension too. I just wish Yan Zhi would go jump off of a cliff and leave them alone. He has really turned into quite the jerk. I did find it interesting how both families seemed ecstatic that these two are now together. I want to see a lot of sweet moments between them. Also, I realized that we were all to focused on how slow Yi An was to confess and accept Zhen Hao, but Yi An has "game". I saw why Hao Hao fell for her. She knows exactly what to say to get to him. When he was upset after finding out about Yan Zhi, she told him that no matter what kind of Zhen Hao he was, she would stay by his side. :blush: Then she told him she did not like seeing another woman feeding him, and he very quickly and earnestly said he would never let that happen again. Yeah, it's subtle, but Yi An has game. I can't wait to see what she says to him in the future.

Zhen Zhen and Kai Kai....Again, he is thicker than molasses. When he was drunk the second time, you know, right before they did the deed the second time around, he confessed that when they weren't speaking, he had a BIG HOLE in his heart. Friends don't normally say things like that, that is usually between a man and a woman. And again, they have slept together twice, umm, yeah friends don't normally do that either. This whole act he is putting on about being her boyfriend is silly. I think deep down, Kai Kai is shy, which is why he's never had a girlfriend before. Then again, he has a straight forward personality and Zhen Zhen handles it quite well, which is why they get along so well. I get the feeling that his mom being sp hard on him resulted in him being a bit isolated and alone, which is why he is so close to his brothers, but everyone else feels like a colleague. By the end of the BF period, he is going to have a harder time adjusting to them just being friends than You Zhen. 

My theory on Yan Zhi. I have a feeling there is a very important element regarding his mom's death that he knows nothing about. I get the distinct feeling he will be eating humble pie before it is all said and done. 

Love your post!

Zhen Wei and Yi Xin are cute and stress-free, but yes, there is no sexual chemistry hehe. Kind of odd because Cindy Lien is much older in real life (29) and can do mature and serious roles just fine and dandy. 

Kai Kai is breaking my heart!! Episode 44 is centered on Kai Kai and yes, Zhen Wei and Zhen Hao know Kai Kai isn't biological. Oh WHY DIDN'T Zhen Hao punch Yan Zhi then and there?! He deserves it big time! At this point, I'm set to believe the doctor/hospital really did choose to save Hao Hao first because he was more critical and/or had the better chance of survival. Yan Zhi opened this can of worms and he's why Kai Kai is now in so much pain. Zhen Hao's right, Yan Zhi's so-called "righteous" ways have hurt so many people now. 

As for my fave Zhen Hao and Yi An, they've been unbelievably precious since episode 38. Yi An has been a pretty amazing girlfriend since they've been together. One of my favorite scenes was when Yi An cried because she didn't know what was bothering Zhen Hao. Of course Grandma adores Yi An, and I love that social class is a non-issue when it comes to her grandsons haha. Tender and Shara have excellent chemistry and it's the second time around they've been a couple, although their first pairing was a Taiwanese daily with much more business/family drama. Their kiss in 天若有情 was not as smexy as this one. Since Better Man is a idol/romantic daily, they have the opportunity to 放閃 hahaha. I'm with you and need more sweet moments. 

It's understandable that ZK is reeling from the shock of recent revelations and perhaps one could argue that it would've been better if he had been told about his adoption earlier. However, what's done is done.

Despite everything I still believe that the Yangs are an admirable family to have brought in a youngster, raised him and have even allowed him to gradually take over the reins of the family business. Whether it technically falls under the category of "birth secret", I thought that ZK's adoption was handled in the same grounded fashion as every other BIG issue in this show. Certainly better than most that I've seen elsewhere. Thank goodness there's no ridiculous sub-plot to try and conceal it further from him. It's shocking isn't it, that most people in this show actually behave like adults. ZK won't be ready to see this just yet but it's clear to me how much his adoptive family loves and treasures him as one of their own. As far as they're concerned he's their little brother.

Seems like much Yanzhi's pain and suffering is largely self-inflicted. How can one person be so wrong about everything? Wanting justice is fine but using one's head and checking properly to achieve that shouldn't be an optional extra. Frankly, he needs to grow up. It's time he gave up throwing tantrums and start facing the realities behind him and ahead of him.

8 hours ago, Claudia Ximena said:

can someone please tell me where I can find the ost or the songs that this drama has? I really love them but I can't find it :(:(:(:(:( 

One should mention that Gonna Be OK (which is decidedly my jam) is not on that playlist. 

I completely understand why YX/ YA dad is so upset. If something happen and there is no marriage or relationship at the end but it gets out that she had a trial marriage that failed what will happen to her future prospects?? He just want to protect his daughters but something tell me he would be more willing if it was ZH/YA. He seems to want to keep YX under him then YA. Besides that it FINALLY happened where it there is some kind of ATTRACTION/PASSION between ZW/YX.

I feel really bad for ZK his whole world just went upside down and it's a the doctors fault. ZK did nothing to deserve that.:tears::tears::tears::tears::tears::tears:

1 hour ago, Marie K said:

I completely understand why YX/ YA dad is so upset. If something happen and there is no marriage or relationship at the end but it gets out that she had a trial marriage that failed what will happen to her future prospects?? He just want to protect his daughters but something tell me he would be more willing if it was ZH/YA. He seems to want to keep YX under him then YA. Besides that it FINALLY happened where it there is some kind of ATTRACTION/PASSION between ZW/YX.

I said the same thing a few posts ago. She is essentially "used goods" and while I don' t think that people from big cities think like this nowadays, it might still hold true in many conservative families, especially if they are religious, or wealthy. However, this family is wealthy, but is modern-thinking. All families that I know of, and my own family would have thought exactly the same as this father. My own father was exactly that way! What is more confusing, however, to us as observers of this story, is how the couple gets along. It does seem that they are fond of each other, but not in an adult way. She is very immature acting, almost frozen at time at age 12 or 13. She is almost unbelievable as a character in this story. He does not seem attracted to her sexually at all. He pats her dotingly on the head while talking to her. Their actions don't seem like they should be heading down the road to marriage. It's almost like 2  12-year olds in a crush-situation playing at getting married. So, the writers have to make over HER character to make their storyline believable, She needs a major overhaul in her outfits, hairstyle, etc. She needs to come across as someone who is maturing in her mind, and the rest of it comes along naturally, but nothing is happening. 

The love story of the older sister, XA, and ZH, is completely believable as she acts her age, even if she is scared of some things (like being underwater). There are elements of trust and caring that are shared between these 2 that are creating a bond that naturally leads to a commitment seen in a marriage relationship. I'd love to see their storyline progress the fastest, because it seems that with the other 2 stories, we are treading water and it's going to be a long 20 plus episodes until we reach our 70 episode mark. 

I've said this before, I hope this does not "end" with weddings, but the weddings happen sometime midpoint from now until the end, and it shows us (via time-jump) the first babies and how the storyline has expanded the growth of the characters and their business, and families. THAT would be nice! They did that in last year's Korean Drama about a Mom, her 3 kids and their respective loves. (albeit only in the last episode, and not long enough, in my opinion, but at least you got a progression as to where the storyline ended up at.) I Hope it happens here. 

However, it's time to have a makeover on little sister, and let's burn all of her overalls!!! GET RID OF THE BACKPACK!!

3 hours ago, blukat said:

I said the same thing a few posts ago. She is essentially "used goods" and while I don' t think that people from big cities think like this nowadays, it might still hold true in many conservative families, especially if they are religious, or wealthy. However, this family is wealthy, but is modern-thinking. All families that I know of, and my own family would have thought exactly the same as this father. My own father was exactly that way! What is more confusing, however, to us as observers of this story, is how the couple gets along. It does seem that they are fond of each other, but not in an adult way. She is very immature acting, almost frozen at time at age 12 or 13. She is almost unbelievable as a character in this story. He does not seem attracted to her sexually at all. He pats her dotingly on the head while talking to her. Their actions don't seem like they should be heading down the road to marriage. It's almost like 2  12-year olds in a crush-situation playing at getting married. So, the writers have to make over HER character to make their storyline believable, She needs a major overhaul in her outfits, hairstyle, etc. She needs to come across as someone who is maturing in her mind, and the rest of it comes along naturally, but nothing is happening. 

The love story of the older sister, XA, and ZH, is completely believable as she acts her age, even if she is scared of some things (like being underwater). There are elements of trust and caring that are shared between these 2 that are creating a bond that naturally leads to a commitment seen in a marriage relationship. I'd love to see their storyline progress the fastest, because it seems that with the other 2 stories, we are treading water and it's going to be a long 20 plus episodes until we reach our 70 episode mark. 

I've said this before, I hope this does not "end" with weddings, but the weddings happen sometime midpoint from now until the end, and it shows us (via time-jump) the first babies and how the storyline has expanded the growth of the characters and their business, and families. THAT would be nice! They did that in last year's Korean Drama about a Mom, her 3 kids and their respective loves. (albeit only in the last episode, and not long enough, in my opinion, but at least you got a progression as to where the storyline ended up at.) I Hope it happens here. 

However, it's time to have a makeover on little sister, and let's burn all of her overalls!!! GET RID OF THE BACKPACK!!

With YX you have to take in consideration that is always being baby by her father and sister so it seems realistic that she would act like a child. Her father would be perfectly content with her accompanying him and staying home he even said so in 1 episode.  I mean YX doesn't even know how to cook and i don't think YA knows how to really cook either they both are dependent on their father. If YX was taken from her living situation (father) I think she would mature and learn life skills that her father didn't teach her. however the grandma need to slow down and let them enjoy their relationship.    

38 minutes ago, Marie K said:

With YX you have to take in consideration that is always being baby by her father and sister so it seems realistic that she would act like a child. Her father would be perfectly content with her accompanying him and staying home he even said so in 1 episode.  I mean YX doesn't even know how to cook and i don't think YA knows how to really cook either they both are dependent on their father. If YX was taken from her living situation (father) I think she would mature and learn life skills that her father didn't teach her. however the grandma need to slow down and let them enjoy their relationship.    

Being content to stay  home and take care of father forever. There's something wrong with that. Dad is trying to make her into a "working/companion" but not a real wife. Why did he never marry that "Aunt" (business partner) they speak about? The girls are stilted in their upbringing. My own mother, being the baby of 7 in a traditional famliy, never had to cook either, but she did have me stay with many of my aunts, (her sisters) one of whom was a pastry chef. I did learn breadbaking skills at the age of 7! I was making some of my aunt's specialty walnut cookies at the same age. Sad to say, when parents or grandparents don't teach life skills, like cooking, there are problems, especially when children arrive and mom can't cook. 

I think these are all problems with a modern society based on quick meals and quick pre-prepared foods. No one (and Asia has been finding this out) has time anymore, especially with long hours worked.

8 hours ago, blukat said:

Confucius/Asian values still factor into may families when it comes to relationships. It took years for Taiwan to even become as progressive as they have

Maybe in Zhen Wei's case, he's at the stage of his life where his ideal partner is someone like Yi Xin. As you get older, what you look for and desire in a partner changes. I loved Wu Ba's assessment of Zhen Wei and the Yang family in today's episode.

Yi Xin does indeed need to ramp it up...I mean, she's going to be the "first" daughter/granddaughter-in-law! In Asian cultures, it's about position in the family once you marry and not age....poor You Zhen hahaha! 

Based on history, this drama can be anywhere from 70 to 80 episodes. Anyway, Yi An and Zhen Hao are blossoming into the most marriage-looking couple even though they've only been together for a brief time. I thought their scene in today's episode was another example of that when she wrote "I'll continue to be by your side" on the stirrer with the heart. It would be ironic that the most angst-filled couple that took a lifetime to get together would be the first to marry!

From years of drama viewing, Taiwan dailies that are in the 70 range do show the "happily ever after" part for some pairings. They don't do that for Sunday idol dramas that are 16-20 episodes, or at least SETTV, but for the weekday ones, I've seen them do it. SETTV did it for Dear Mom with Joanne Tseng and Melvin Sia (they were the most popular couple). Love, Now with George Hu and Annie Chen had the whole package with the one-sided crush/love, then both falling in love, dating, proposal, wedding, baby, etc all in a span of 72 episodes. 

Archived