[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Better Man/ 我的極品男友

jenny59229

Reading the last few comments, I can't help but to reflect back on the episode when Zhen Kai interviewed his brothers on the Livestream. He asked Zhen Wei why he was doing this whole "Lolita" romance with Yi Xin, even though she basically looks and acts like a child. To which, Yi Xin got upset and immediately whined that what he said was too harsh. But, Kai Kai was on the money. He knew his brother was sincere about YX, but he also knows YX's shortcomings, just like we do. She is sweet and enthusiastic, but considering that she and her sister are both involved with Yang men, she definitely needs to step it up,otherwise she would be miserable. Even though YA can't cook, I think she could pick it up pretty well. She is very capable in everything else, like how well she took care of ZH when he was sick. YA knows how to take charge and get everything together, which makes her come across as capable and reliable. Those are characteristics that any family would love in a daughter-in-law. If they are all living in that house, I could see YX feeling slighted or treated differently. 

Honestly, YX and ZW living with her father makes more sense than her living in the Yang household. ZW has garnered a good rapport with her father and he helps him out a lot. The writers should definitely go with this. Plain and simple, YX is NOT ready for marriage, she is barely ready for a relationship. But, I do hope they grow her up in other ways.

That episode when Zhen Kai found everything out was gut-wrenching. I was glad You Zhen could be there for him, they really do have a great friendship and love for each other. Plus, whatever leverage the mom had over him before is gone. I think he will continue on as CEO thanks to You Zhen and then babies. LOL! I just hope his family doesn't make a big deal about the two of them being together because of the age difference (28/34). They will soon find out just how far gone he is over YZ.

Zhen Hao and Yi An might as well get married and run the clinic by themselves. I just want Yan Zhi out of the picture. As the antagonist, he has served his purpose, now it is time for him to go. I think Yi An would do well in the Yang household, plus I think she will be essential in helping them heal from the ZK birth situation and in accepting You Zhen as third DIL because that ship has sailed and docked!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Reading the last few comments, I can't help but to reflect back on the episode when Zhen Kai interviewed his brothers on the Livestream. He asked Zhen Wei why he was doing this whole "Lolita" romance with Yi Xin, even though she basically looks and acts like a child. To which, Yi Xin got upset and immediately whined that what he said was too harsh. But, Kai Kai was on the money. He knew his brother was sincere about YX, but he also knows YX's shortcomings, just like we do. She is sweet and enthusiastic, but considering that she and her sister are both involved with Yang men, she definitely needs to step it up,otherwise she would be miserable. Even though YA can't cook, I think she could pick it up pretty well. She is very capable in everything else, like how well she took care of ZH when he was sick. YA knows how to take charge and get everything together, which makes her come across as capable and reliable. Those are characteristics that any family would love in a daughter-in-law. If they are all living in that house, I could see YX feeling slighted or treated differently. 

Honestly, YX and ZW living with her father makes more sense than her living in the Yang household. ZW has garnered a good rapport with her father and he helps him out a lot. The writers should definitely go with this. Plain and simple, YX is NOT ready for marriage, she is barely ready for a relationship. But, I do hope they grow her up in other ways.

That episode when Zhen Kai found everything out was gut-wrenching. I was glad You Zhen could be there for him, they really do have a great friendship and love for each other. Plus, whatever leverage the mom had over him before is gone. I think he will continue on as CEO thanks to You Zhen and then babies. LOL! I just hope his family doesn't make a big deal about the two of them being together because of the age difference (28/34). They will soon find out just how far gone he is over YZ.

Zhen Hao and Yi An might as well get married and run the clinic by themselves. I just want Yan Zhi out of the picture. As the antagonist, he has served his purpose, now it is time for him to go. I think Yi An would do well in the Yang household, plus I think she will be essential in helping them heal from the ZK birth situation and in accepting You Zhen as third DIL because that ship has sailed and docked!

You made some get points however YA was able to care for ZH because she was a nurse. YA biggest problem is her fear of everything (that ZH has help her with but he had to push). YA is just as much as a child as YX and prove that by breaking down crying because ZH wouldn't tell her what was wrong. Her younger immature sister had to tell her he will tell her when he is ready. YX is capable of being being mature and could learn life skills if someone teach her. She was able to bake and take instructions well when was making macarons with ZW.  before ZH come along YA was  paralyze by fear (and still is in some cases) and YX remain fearless. Beside out of the 3 girls YZ is the most capable and even she has a silly side.

Side note: I wish they  would remove YX and YA from under their boyfriends. YX seems to be a very talented drawer and YA is a freaking nurse. There are more then 1 hospital.

My breakdown of all 3 relationship:

YX/ZW- the relationship works because of the age difference and mature level. YX is happy, considered, fearless and doesn't demand a lot from ZW something he may want and need in his life. YX needs someone like ZW in her life to balance her out as she gets older. ( He needs to stop patting her head tho it makes it seem more like an adult dating a child) 

YA/ZH- my problem with this relationship is that YA has pretty much became dependent on ZH. It is almost like she can't do anything for herself. She made it almost impossible for me to really like her because only when she realized that ZH attention could be taken  away from her that she started to show interest. I think ZH deserves better then that because he really  care for her.

YZ/ZK- this relationship works because you have 2 ppl who are/were emotional unavailable that will eventually open up to each other. I think ZK is mistaking his feelings for YZ for friendship because he never had a girlfriend before. A lot of the things he has done for her and the way he acted when she started acting differently show its more then friendship he just doesn't realize it yet. Him and YZ are a good mix.

Ah... that was very nice... What Yanzhi intended for evil, turned out to be for the good. I'm imagine ZK has never felt more loved in his entire life. His brothers, YZ, Mum and Dad all doing their bit to remind him that he's family no matter what. Oh dear... who's been cutting onions?

The romance has its place but my favourite thing in this show is really watching those guys be brothers. It's such a precious part of this show. Truly enviable.

The other really good bit was seeing YZ standing by ZK's side... just generally doing all the right things and being a pillar of strength. It's sooo obvious even to Blind Freddy that she's the wife he really needs. Hopefully he'll see it soon enough otherwise I'll start throwing things at the screen.

I'm glad to see the back of Yanzhi who despite his early facade has been a cloud of misery. Yeah... go and find yourself somewhere where you can't do too much damage.

I LOVE that everyone ( minus  grandma because she was on vacation) made sure to let ZK know that blood or not he is still family. Him not being blood related doesn't erase all those years together and brotherly love they have for each other or the love the parents has for him. It also shows him that YZ will be there even at his lowest point. If you dont want a woman like that I don't know what else she can do to make him realize that she is the one. 

The next episode  is a ZW/YX episode and I think after her almost drowning ZW is going to realize he want to make YX his wife because he almost lost her. You have to admit that he smiles and laugh more when she is around. 

Wow folks, I was watching Episode 47 raw, and things are happening between all the brothers, but one thing I wanted to speak on was Zhen Hao and Yi An. Yi An was invited over by Mrs. Yang (I believe) when the youngest sister accompanied Zhen Wei Home. Yi An, knowing that Zhen Hao is there, drops by for a visit, and knocks on his bedroom door just as he is working out on his pull-up rings. He "helps" her work out on them and after they are done, he puts her down and she "casually" trips over onto his bed, pushing him onto it. They look at each other, and Yi An starts the romance off by kissing HIM first, then he flips her over and was getting serious about the passion quotient. I believe Yi An was assenting to a kissing onslaught (by closing her eyes and getting ready for him laying one on her, but they were interrupted by YX. 

These 2 have some serious passion issues, which is FINE BY ME. I thought I heard Yi An say to Zhen Hao about going to some hot springs together....where did that ever go to? Does anyone else remember that? I think this is the next couple that might succumb to passion overload. Although the great part of it is, there doesn't have to be any alcohol involved at all. 

OK, let's play "spot the teenager" in the today's story, shall we?;)

Coming off the angst of the last few episodes, this one felt odd. ZK has bounced back and reverted to his cocky somewhat immature "I-have-no-idea-that-I'm-in-love-with-you" self. YX... good grief girl... do you want a kiss that much that you have to fake a drowning? YA and ZH holding hands in the library feels like some cliche young love trope. And Grandma... dear me... between you and YX, I can't tell who's the bigger woman-child in this relationship. Anyone else find it scary that YX actually looks mature when she's talking to Grandma? In an inverted kind of relationship.

But Grandma sure is sneaky... she's changed her tactics accordingly... it's now "Engagement".

I imagine a lot of this is for humour and cute but I think it's gone a bit too long that it's becoming cloying. Don't push your luck show!

10 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

OK, let's play "spot the teenager" in the today's story, shall we?;)

Coming off the angst of the last few episodes, this one felt odd. ZK has bounced back and reverted to his cocky somewhat immature "I-have-no-idea-that-I'm-in-love-with-you" self. YX... good grief girl... do you want a kiss that much that you have to fake a drowning? YA and ZH holding hands in the library feels like some cliche young love trope. And Grandma... dear me... between you and YX, I can't tell who's the bigger woman-child in this relationship. Anyone else find it scary that YX actually looks mature when she's talking to Grandma? In an inverted kind of relationship.

But Grandma sure is sneaky... she's changed her tactics accordingly... it's now "Engagement".

I imagine a lot of this is for humour and cute but I think it's gone a bit too long that it's becoming cloying. Don't push your luck show!

This is where some of the shows go off the rails and where 70 episodes get a little TOO LONG and some of us kind of say "See ya!" The writers seem to be a bit of a conservative bunch, and have, as I've said before, made the characters into "caricatures" that each personality can go a bit overboard in their representation of what they are supposed to be and how they feel is represented to the audience. They are not characters, they become "cartoons" of themselves. If I was an actor, I might be a little bit hesitant about being "pidgeonholed" into this kind of thing, it sure pays the bills now, but in the future, will they get any serious roles?

In Episode 48, it was very nice to represent ALL the couples..the 3 brothers and the 3 "sisters" going day camping in the countryside. VERY nice idea! You could have had lots of potential for a great storyline there, with all couples getting to know each other AS (future) "extended" family. But they blew that concept with that idiot YX. There are potential good story areas in which to visit, but they don't see the future set up's that can happen, and they want to jerk your attention for "today's crisis". Can't they think outside the box?

Lately, I have been seeing them sampling YX with her hair down, and not rocking the ever-present overalls. It's been nice, but again, just when you think she might be maturing, there goes the immaturity factor. I wonder if with grandma talking there at the end, and Zhen Wei, he started getting this look on his face like "What am I setting myself up for?"

Zhen Kai is back to being snarky at his girlfriend secretary. Boy, he really doesn't realize her value, ZK .....grateful much?

Out of all of them, you can at least rely on Zhen Hao and Yi An to carry the romance factor. It's sweet the way he loves to play with her hair, and even bought her a hair bob to hold her hair back from all the research they are going to have to do now that Old 'Doc has moved on. When they were prepping food at the day camp, Xi An remembers a few days back when she and Zhen Hao were having fun and romance in another river. These 2 are such a pair they need to get going with their storyline. They are a mature couple, she's a nurse who has been in the work force for a bit, he's an entrepreneur who is capable of supporting a wife and family. They would be a good example for the other two storylines to follow on. If only the other 2 would mature. The sister in the Zhen Wei relationship, and the Brother in the Zhen Kai relationship. We're almost at Episode 50 now, so we are starting to enter the "home stretch" here. 

Does anyone know...have these been pre-produced or are the PD's open to comments here and on other forums/vlogs? I wonder if anyone reads what is on the forums here, especially from English-speakers?

@blukat-- I have no idea. I usually watch this on Maplestage and from time to time, I post my comments there when I feel strongly enough about something.

i was just thinking that maybe I need to take a break from this show. In fact I've wondered that on a couple of occasions but somehow  I manage to get sucked back in.

I don't think conservatism is the issue. The third couple have already had 2 one night stands. It's a lack of thought about or confidence in these couples to take them to their logical conclusion. This is the kind of drama where all kinds of endgames could occur but there seems to be a fear to have ZK realise his feelings too soon to the point where he's looking like a dill.

TBH, I'm having some issues with the ZH-YA relationship too. It's not about compatibility at all... Just how YA comes across in this relationship. I know it's her first serious relationship but it's like her brain turns to mush.

Maybe no one's game enough to have these people married off before Ep 69.

@blukatIt's not pre-produced. Filming started early May, so no one really knows what's going to happen next. It's an SETTV drama and they normally don't pre-produce dramas (I've been watching their dramas since 2001). You can follow their official FaceBook page if you can read Chinese because the writer/PD will read and comment. It'll also live post from 8-9pm when the episode airs with official pics.

5 hours ago, aggiesbaby said:

@blukatIt's not pre-produced. Filming started early May, so no one really knows what's going to happen next. It's an SETTV drama and they normally don't pre-produce dramas (I've been watching their dramas since 2001). You can follow their official FaceBook page if you can read Chinese because the writer/PD will read and comment. It'll also live post from 8-9pm when the episode airs with official pics.

Thanks for your comments! I don't read Chinese, and I don't "do" facebook anymore. Sorry! :phew:  I wonder if the writers or those associated with the show look at comments coming in from areas different from their Target audiences, and look at Latin, American, European, and maybe even African boards. Everyone has an opinion!  ;)

I have to say i am taking a break from this show. I haven't even seen ep48 and if YX actually faked drowning just to get a kiss or get some attention (like someone else said)  I am just done with this show until it is finish. How can a character not developed this far into the show?? I was pro ZW/YX but if writers keeps YX at the level she is at now ZW needs to find someone closer to his age and mature or find a matchmaker. I already wrote about my feelings on ZH/YA I just can't deal with that couple and YZ is trying to hard to feel like the deal  she made with ZK is actually a real relationship. yes he is starting to fall for her but having to force a relationship on someone isn't the way to go.

beside the grandma doesn't seem to really care who any of her grandson marries, except ZH because she wants YA in her family, as long as she gets great grandkids out it.  you would think because YX will marry the older brother  one day they would tell her what comes with marrying the older brother and require her become more mature and learn life skills but no they just want a warm body as a daughter in law.

After thinking about it I have to say I am honestly confused. How can someone be an episode ahead of everyone when the show airs Monday to Friday???? I am aware that Taiwan is a day ahead of USA but we can't watch any episode until they are aired in Taiwan 1st. Please help explain this :tears::tears:

40 minutes ago, Marie K said:

After thinking about it I have to say I am honestly confused. How can someone be an episode ahead of everyone when the show airs Monday to Friday???? I am aware that Taiwan is a day ahead of USA but we can't watch any episode until they are aired in Taiwan 1st. Please help explain this :tears::tears:

There are some stations (mentioned on page 5, and again, on this page (Maplestage) that are called "raw". This means that they have not been translated yet. So, we English-only speakers (and Spanish-speaking, etc.) can't understand what they are saying, so we are watching the story, but trying to parse out what is REALLY happening. You can guess out the storyline since these stories seem to move slowly, and see who is smoochin' on whom. ;)  The Sugeoidas and Maplestage websites stream these shows 1 episode ahead of the others and that is what we have been referring to. If you want to only watch them translated, you can watch on Viki.com here, and wait till they are 100 done with that episode. (I know it's hard to wait!)

Look at the bright side, we are almost at Episode 50, and most of the storyline is behind us, we are comin' round the home stretch now. I hope. 

4 hours ago, Marie K said:

Question: did ZW actually want to propose to YX or was he pretty much forced?

Just when I think I am out it sucks me back in :angry:

Yeah Marie, I know what ya mean. I thought so as well, but I skipped ahead and watched episode 49 on Sugeoidas and saw the proposal. I don't want to give out spoilers, so I guess you can go over there and watch it for yourself, or just wait a day or 2 here, and it will come up, however, it may take a day or so longer to be translated. And a BIG THANK YOU to our translator team members who make it so easy to watch! 

5 hours ago, Marie K said:

Question: did ZW actually want to propose to YX or was he pretty much forced?

Just when I think I am out it sucks me back in :angry:

Same here. ;)

But there was a noticeable difference between 48 and 49 in tone. It's almost as if someone heard us ranting about all the silly stuff. :P

Despite being deeply moved by a few scenes, I still have misgivings about ZW and YX tying the knot at this stage. Strictly speaking they aren't tying the knot yet but still... I'm going to spit chips if their relationship is all happiness and light or if she keeps up with the aegyo act. I'm really hoping that she's embarking on a growth arc and maybe coming out of her sheltered environment, she'll be better able to do that. She even dressed more maturely which was a shocker.

As for ZK and YZ's romance... *throws up hands in despair*

20 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Same here. ;)

But there was a noticeable difference between 48 and 49 in tone. It's almost as if someone heard us ranting about all the silly stuff. :P

Despite being deeply moved by a few scenes, I still have misgivings about ZW and YX tying the knot at this stage. Strictly speaking they aren't tying the knot yet but still... I'm going to spit chips if their relationship is all happiness and light or if she keeps up with the aegyo act. I'm really hoping that she's embarking on a growth arc and maybe coming out of her sheltered environment, she'll be better able to do that. She even dressed more maturely which was a shocker.

As for ZK and YZ's romance... *throws up hands in despair*

You aren't kidding that there was a difference in tone, I noticed it RIGHT AWAY!! They might have been seeing many more disgruntled posts on several different forums, not just here. 

As for being moved,again, since I do not speak any Chinese language, it's impossible for me to say what was being "said" but I was very moved by the scenes with the daughter coming to terms with the father having a hard time letting his daughter "go". Many fathers have a hard time with this, in fact, my own father did not want to walk me down the aisle at my wedding, but he and my mom did.  You raise your children FOR this point in their lives, and you hope they have found a good partner. It seems that both families are what we would call "good stock" and "nice people", responsible. It's interesting that the father will be "in-laws" with the same set of parents since both of his daughters are with brothers. It will make for an easier time at family doings in the future. 

**SPOILER ALERT**don't read if you haven't watched Episode 49!

I was very intriqued that "everyone" (all 3 couples) "went to the movies" together. It was VERY heartwarming indeed to see this marriage proposal done before the 2 other brothers and their girlfriends. I've never seen that before, and it does make for a nice bond between all of them. I remember when I was young, and my parents did a lot of things with their siblings and my cousins, we had a very very loving and strong family bond, so I can sympathize with the feelings that this show brings on. When the 3 couples were at the lake, it could have been my aunts and uncles there as well. (My dad and mom both came from a family of 7 children in each family). Its' nice to see how an extended family plays a role in strengthening a couple's resolve and challenges. 

I was very happy to see that pictures were sent via phone to "Papi". He wasn't there to see the event, but they made him feel part of it. I am so glad that they took his feelings into consideration. 

As for YX's dress, I did notice that, and I even think she ditched the backpack! I hope MIL and Grandma have a good time shopping for a new Trousseau for her. I hope that Yi An and Zen Hao don't take forever to get to this stage either. So Yi An wants to become a doctor now? What about just upgrading to NP status, and HIRE another Doctor/Dermatologist/Surgeon. They are going to have to eventually hire a staff. Sheesh.

...AND I am with you @40somethingahjumma in that I wonder if it will take something like an accident where Zhen Kai might have to lose You Zhen to make something "clear" to him. He's dense with the feelings about his own life. One person afraid of being vulnerable!

My rant about these couples: 

YA/ZH- I still can't deal with her and the overload of sweetness because real relationships are not rainbow and sunshine and holding hand in the library while reading or depending on your boyfriend for a job. 

YX/ZW- she need to grow the hell up. She is starting to dress more mature even tho her and her sister fashion sense is lacking. He need stand up and tell her that her childish behavior is no longer acceptable. She to need to get from under her boyfriend and get a different job. ( And why in the hell did she kiss ZW deceased girlfriend's sister. You fake a drowning to kiss your boyfriend when you could have just kissed him like you did her. Smh)

YZ/ZK- she need to stop with this fake relationship because she will only get hurt if he refuse to acknowledge his feeling for her. He need to growup as well.

Please note  that couple with the most realistic relationship is the one that are not actually a couple.  The only 40 yo man that want a girlfriend like YX are the ones who haven't mentally developed themselves yet or who are trying to feel like their younger then they are. 

I do see the flaws  and clichés  of this drama, but it has been interesting thus far which is a feat for a daily drama.   I do concur with the many opinions regarding the YX/ZW couple.  To me, ZW  is either having a midlife crisis or has a Lolita fetish if he truly  believes that the current YX is wife material.  Although I hate to bash actors for their performance or lack there of, the person playing YX is really too green to  convincingly endear the audience with the material the writers are doling out.  Instead of cute she's coming across as annoying, and that's a real shame given that this couple has the most potential of showing growth out of the three couples.    Don't get me wrong, I understand it's not solely the performance of the actress but it sometimes overshadows the other factors that makes this character unattractive at times.

As for the YZ/ZK pairing,  this couple seems to me the most realistic of the three.  I find myself hoping that the writers will go back to portraying this couple as two passionate people who when together incinerate the TV screen.  Instead of showing cutesy couple scenes, I prefer to see the passion between these two amp up whether it's them bickering, competing, or becoming intimate which is the dynamic that works best for these characters.  Every so often it would be nice to see a sweet moment between these two, but what makes it fun to watch them is their opposing personalities clashing. The reason ZK is coming across as a jerk is because if you try to mold his actions into how his other brothers treat their ladies then his PDA moments comes up short. He's not the lovey dovey guy YZ would like him to be, but he is the type of guy that once you have his affection he is yours for the taking. Sure, I'd like to put a turbo booster on his  emotional epiphany but I still like that he treats YZ as someone who he treasures irregardless if it's romantic or not.

Honestly, I know of the three couples YA/ZH  has the most clichéd storyline but I'm drawn to it like a fat kid to cake.   Out of all the couples, they have the best sexual tension and romance combination in equal proportions.  Sure it took them a while to get there, but I prefer the build up than a false sense of insta love that sort of felt happen with YX/ZW.  I feel that YA gets blasted for not being independent enough, but her character has remained believable with showings of growth as an individual. I didn't expect her to make a complete 180 as soon as she gets together with ZH, and appreciate that she is still portrayed as clumsy but now gutsy as well.  By the way, if I remember correctly she started working for ZH being little more than an acquaintance so I don't understand why she would need to stop working with him now just because she's his girlfriend. What would that prove? It's through this dynamic that we can see their relationship flourish, and because she is working with him she see is able to embrace the potential of embarking in something new. ZH is just what the doctor (or in this case, nurse) ordered, and partly the reason I tune in. I need to get my fix of a drama dreamboat.

Archived