[Current Taiwanese Drama 2016] Better Man/ 我的極品男友

jenny59229

6 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

In You Zhen's defense, Zhen Kai is sending mixed signals. He is out here playing matchmaker, but then he is doing everything a man would do that is in love with a woman. When Baby got sick, he stayed with her all night at the animal hospital. When she ran into her ex and ex-friend, he rode in like a knight in shining armour and pretended, very convincingly to be her boyfriend. When Mei You told him You Zhen took the day off and was at the hospital, he freaked out like he was her husband and went running out of the office like a mad man. When she said that she didn't really believe in love and relationships, he went through so much trouble to have the livestream with his brothers to prove her wrong. Honestly, a lot of women would catch feelings if a man was attentive like that. Then he turns right around and throws her on some other guy and takes it a step further to make it her personal mission to marry her off to someone. 

I'm sorry, but You Zhen needed to pull the plug on all of this! Zhen Kai has overstepped and went WAY over the line of professionalism. Yes, he means well, and I know he began to look at YZ as a friend, but considering how close they work together, the lines were becoming a bit blurred. It's bad enough, she has already been through office gossip with people thinking something is going on between them. I wish she had been nicer about pulling the plug, but Zhen Kai is so persistent, being mean was almost the only way. It is just frustrating that he hasn't figured out he has feelings for her.

I suppose it's because we have special insight into her emotions and we're seeing it from her perspective that she has appeared in large part a victim in all of this. Nonetheless I continue to maintain that she could have handled the situation a lot better, considering that she's the more mature one and had access to a much bigger picture than he had. Truth be told, I also didn't get the impression that she was trying all that hard to keep him at bay either, especially when asking him to teach her how to skateboard and then pulling back. 

Falling in love with someone that you're not sure that you should be in love with is hard. I don't want to make light of that. 

But it's a universally known fact that a large majority of men are thick when it comes to this sort of thing... and Zhen Kai still has that streak of immaturity which is partly why his mother is so concerned about his ability to handle the business. Admittedly killing him with kindness probably wouldn't be much good either but snapping at him hardly deterred him. In fact, it made him more confused and more determined to find out what the heck was going on.

Frankly I thought the same thing about Yi An as well. I know I'm probably saying something controversial here because everyone seems to love the second couple. But I actually found this scenario much more frustrating. It was obvious to me that she liked ZH and was dragging her feet even if she herself didn't realise it at the time. She was doing all kinds of things that could be interpreted as going above and beyond the call of duty especially when she already said she wasn't interested in him romantically. She did things that made it harder for him (although he seemed to be enjoying it) to move on. If anyone was giving mixed signals, it was her especially because she knew that ZH liked her. If it weren't for the interior designer inserting herself into the situation and giving her the final push, she'd be still dragging her feet.

I think what we're seeing is that these people are behaving like normal human beings who are doing their best with the knowledge that they have at the time. Some are slower to realise things than others but they're all on this journey to better themselves through the relationships they're forming.

On the bright side, things seem to be looking up for the third couple if the preview is to be believed. I hope it's not some ridiculous dream or fantasy scene. That would really really get my goat.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Frankly I thought the same thing about Yi An as well. I know I'm probably saying something controversial here because everyone seems to love the second couple. But I actually found this scenario much more frustrating. It was obvious to me that she liked ZH and was dragging her feet even if she herself didn't realise it at the time. She was doing all kinds of things that could be interpreted as going above and beyond the call of duty especially when she already said she wasn't interested in him romantically. She did things that made it harder for him (although he seemed to be enjoying it) to move on. If anyone was giving mixed signals, it was her especially because she knew that ZH liked her. If it weren't for the interior designer inserting herself into the situation and giving her the final push, she'd be still dragging her feet.

I am so glad you said this, because I was rolling my eyes a couple of episodes. I can identify with her being shy, but Yi An had an advantage, Zhen Hao already confessed! She already knew he had feelings for her. And yes, it did seem like right after he confessed and made a move, all of a sudden she liked him. Or, maybe after Yan Zhi confessed, it finally sunk in that she didn't like him. That was funny by the way. Her whole face fell when Yan Zhi confessed. She looked absolutely mortified! It was almost like it took her to receive interest elsewhere for her to see that she had the perfect person already. Plus, when ZH backed off, she missed him right away. She didn't like that chill either and she was insulted that he wanted to fix her up with the coo coo doctor. Yi An just needed to get to know him, and that was it. Bless her heart. Yes, I appreciated the designer for giving her that push!

So let me get this straight.

Yi Xin and Zhen Wei are together.

Yi An and Zhen Hao are together.

You Zhen and Zhen Kai have kissed twice AND slept together twice, but they aren't technically a couple???? OMG, that kissing and bed scene at the hotel was HOT! These two have undeniable chemistry, and this whole, "she's my very special friend" madness has to go. I need Zhen Kai to wake up and realize he is in LOVE with You Zhen, otherwise, he wouldn't have been so hurt about her trying to distance herself from him. He wouldn't insert himself into every aspect of her life. And, he wouldn't have slept with her yet again. I think she's going to end up with child because they are playing with fire here.

Can we all agree that it is time for Yan Zhi to go? I get it, he has held this grudge since he was a kid, but why hold it against the whole family? I could see his anger towards the father. I could even see his anger towards the doctor on duty that night, but Zhen Hao has nothing to do with this. And that forced kiss on Yi An was a bonehead move on his part.

I've come to the conclusion that Zhen Kai and You Zhen are very good when it comes to giving love advice to their nearest and dearest, but are a mess themselves when it comes to their own love lives. 

Really, I'm about to throw something at Yan Zhi. I know he's angry and hurt, but is it really all Zhen Hao's fault? The hospital/doctor and even Dad, I can see why he'd hate them, but the kid that was near death also doesn't deserve the blame. And I was really ticked off that he's telling Yi An to break it off with Zhen Hao because of his own beliefs or assertions about the "rich." Whatever he was trying to do to come between Zhen Hao and Yi An has clearly been ineffective. Let's wrap this storyline up asap please....I still think there's birth secret with Zhen Kai haha.

Is You Wei filming another project at the same time? His screen time has been brief these last few weeks.

On 7/28/2016 at 4:59 AM, nubianlegalmind said:

So let me get this straight.

Yi Xin and Zhen Wei are together.

Yi An and Zhen Hao are together.

You Zhen and Zhen Kai have kissed twice AND slept together twice, but they aren't technically a couple???? OMG, that kissing and bed scene at the hotel was HOT! These two have undeniable chemistry, and this whole, "she's my very special friend" madness has to go. I need Zhen Kai to wake up and realize he is in LOVE with You Zhen, otherwise, he wouldn't have been so hurt about her trying to distance herself from him. He wouldn't insert himself into every aspect of her life. And, he wouldn't have slept with her yet again. I think she's going to end up with child because they are playing with fire here.

22 hours ago, aggiesbaby said:

I've come to the conclusion that Zhen Kai and You Zhen are very good when it comes to giving love advice to their nearest and dearest, but are a mess themselves when it comes to their own love lives. 

I daresay the show is trying very hard... maybe a little too hard... to create a different dynamic for this couple. ;) It'd be too easy just for Zhenkai to wake up the morning after and say, "I'm sorry I didn't realise sooner that I was in love with you. Will you forgive me dear? Let's start dating" Nope, it would be too easy :D. Apparently having not one but two one-night stands isn't enough for the truth to penetrate ZK's muddled although admittedly alcohol-addled brain. Maybe he needs a third and final encounter before light penetrates the fog. :P

It wouldn't surprise me if he did become the first to be a dad. Or near-dad at the very least. ;) 

Silliness seems to be the order of the day. 

YZ seems to be afflicted with another kind of silliness... Did it never occur to him to ask the doctor-in-charge what really happened? Isn't he a doc himself? Does he really need someone to blame for his mother's death that much? Does he not see the complete irony of his situation -- using YA to get close to ZH and then taking ZH's money for his start-up? His plan seems to be working really well for him because the most miserable person in this not-so-sordid affair isn't ZH. :P

20 hours ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

I daresay the show is trying very hard... maybe a little too hard... to create a different dynamic for this couple. ;) It'd be too easy just for Zhenkai to wake up the morning after and say, "I'm sorry I didn't realise sooner that I was in love with you. Will you forgive me dear? Let's start dating" Nope, it would be too easy :D. Apparently having not one but two one-night stands isn't enough for the truth to penetrate ZK's muddled although admittedly alcohol-addled brain. Maybe he needs a third and final encounter before light penetrates the fog. :P

It wouldn't surprise me if he did become the first to be a dad. Or near-dad at the very least. ;) 

Silliness seems to be the order of the day. 

YZ seems to be afflicted with another kind of silliness... Did it never occur to him to ask the doctor-in-charge what really happened? Isn't he a doc himself? Does he really need someone to blame for his mother's death that much? Does he not see the complete irony of his situation -- using YA to get close to ZH and then taking ZH's money for his start-up? His plan seems to be working really well for him because the most miserable person in this not-so-sordid affair isn't ZH. :P

ZK basically hit two home runs while his two big brothers decided to fall in love the old fashion way lol. Anyone else laugh when ZK said he's never had a girlfriend? No doubt Zhen Wei and Zhen Hao will make great husbands...Zhen Kai will still have his 小屁孩 moments haha

Yan Zhi's "righteous" rants are filled with hypocrisy and irony. I hate that took advantage of Yi An and her friendship with Zhen Hao. Yes, Yan Zhi. Yi An is on Zhen Hao's side because even though she's known you for years, Zhen Hao is the one that's never manipulated or taken advantage of her. 

Here we go with Zhen Kai, mom and birth secrets!

It's :wub: in episode 43 for Hao-An and Kai-Zhen! So romantic and sweet! Personal biases, Hao-An wins this episode for me because of the :heart:

Saw a long preview on instagram (FB page hasn't posted it yet), but OMG,,,KAI KAI!!:tears: I dislike physical altercations, but Zhen Hao, you have my permission to throw as many punches at Yan Zhi as you'd like! 

Use the hashtag 我的極品男友 and it'll pop up for anyone that wants to see

I am wondering what chances the  future of the "Beauty business" surgery center will have. I don't think Zhen Hao should be even thinking of leaving Yan Zhi in a work room situation with him. He is quickly becoming a loose cannon. I watched Episode 42 just to see what is going on (no subtitles up yet) and he does not even respond to Zhen Kai. I guess they can sue him for non-performance of his duties, as I don't think he, or anyone can perform in these types of circumstances. Just too much fighting and bad blood right now...get back to the main storylines of the 3 brothers and their respective ladies, please! 

....and I'd LOVE to see Yi An and Zhen Hao have their first kiss soon. I am sure it will be Taiwan's most chaste kiss here that we are dealing with Ms.Polly Purebred, and Zhen Hao is too scared to really lay one on her. Hope some form of PASSION develops between the love lines. This is versus the other couple, who have all passion and no acknowledgement of love (yet!) (Zhen Kai). The Oldest son couple, (Zhen Wei) are just a pair of happy bubbly lovebirds. Here's hoping Grandma doesn't scare off the youngest sister with the grandbaby rant.

9 minutes ago, blukat said:

....and I'd LOVE to see Yi An and Zhen Hao have their first kiss soon. I am sure it will be Taiwan's most chaste kiss here that we are dealing with Ms.Polly Purebred, and Zhen Hao is too scared to really lay one on her. Hope some form of PASSION develops between the love lines. This is versus the other couple, who have all passion and no acknowledgement of love (yet!) (Zhen Kai). The Oldest son couple, (Zhen Wei) are just a pair of happy bubbly lovebirds. Here's hoping Grandma doesn't scare off the youngest sister with the grandbaby rant.

Actually, it was not a chaste kiss. I say run, don't walk to either Sugoideas or Maplestage to watch episode 43, and you will not be disappointed. You have water, and the typical drama trope of a couple playing in it and laughing, and of course we have to add in the accidental fall. But let me tell you, Hao Hao delivered! That kiss was EVERYTHING! :heart::heart:

Sorry for cutting your post or sounding like the Hao-An ship captain, but you will be satisfied!

Wouldn't call it a chaste kiss myself. ;) At least with the Taiwanese, the girls can be relied on to do as well as the boys. :D But Tender seems to know what he's doing.

Well, well, well... kissing seems to be the order of the day... to which the rest of us would say... it's about *bleep* time. Now if we can only get ZK to do the right thing and lip lock without the aid of alcohol.

And Grandma... really... someone who's supposed to have eaten as much salt as she has rice... it's rather surprising how she doesn't think through the consequences. Although the writer seems to be using that as the means of getting ZW into the Wu household for a bit of reverse cohabitation.

18 minutes ago, 40somethingahjumma said:

Well, well, well... kissing seems to be the order of the day... to which the rest of us would say... it's about *bleep* time. Now if we can only get ZK to do the right thing and lip lock without the aid of alcohol.

Does the kiss in his office count? Granted it was funny because they got caught by Mei You and another employee, but when he just had to re-create the whole kiss scene from when YZ was drunk and they were in his office, he wasn't drunk that time and I believe he enjoyed it. :blush:

3 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Does the kiss in his office count? Granted it was funny because they got caught by Mei You and another employee, but when he just had to re-create the whole kiss scene from when YZ was drunk and they were in his office, he wasn't drunk that time and I believe he enjoyed it. :blush:

I had forgotten about that one. :D That's the trouble with these long dramas. ;)

I'm sure he really likes YZ and needs to get over himself. He's just so afraid of being vulnerable and needs to shed that bravado. As YZ knows, he can be very sweet and thoughtful. I want him to be that when he lips lock her again.

I have to say I am highly disappointed. Why is it the ZW/YX have gotten NO play what so ever? They make their relationship seem like children dating. No passion at all well ZK/YZ have kissed multiple time and slept together twice (all while someone or both was drunk).YA has 2 guys after her and has kissed multiple times as well. I wish the made their relationship with a lot more passion instead of adult dating a child.( she is 22 for crying out loud)

What is Zhen Wei (oldest son) trying to accomplish while visiting his (future) father-in-law's shop? Is he trying to give back what his girlfriend gave to his coffee shop business? (added sales via good old-fashioned promotion via sales flyers, etc.)

What made the father so angry at the grandmother? I saw it of course, without the English subs, and I do not speak or write any Mandarin/Cantonese, etc. What's up with this part of the storyline? 

Also, it seems the girls' father approves of Zhen Hao courting Yi An, that's a plus, it seems that both families approve highly of this match!:wub:

6 hours ago, nubianlegalmind said:

Actually, it was not a chaste kiss. I say run, don't walk to either Sugoideas or Maplestage to watch episode 43, and you will not be disappointed. You have water, and the typical drama trope of a couple playing in it and laughing, and of course we have to add in the accidental fall. But let me tell you, Hao Hao delivered! That kiss was EVERYTHING! :heart::heart:

Sorry for cutting your post or sounding like the Hao-An ship captain, but you will be satisfied!

Yes, thanks for the "head's up". It's about TIME for those 2 to kiss!!!:w00t:   What, it's ONLY EPISODE 43!!!!! You had mentioned "water" and I am watching that other Chinese show about the Ice and Fire Elves. (Ice Fantasy). If one were to equate the elements (Fire, Air, Water, Earth) to these 3 couples..what would you choose? I think the Zhen Wei couple might be "Air" because it's a light-hearted "breezy" kind of love this couple has. Lots of "talking" (air element) in it as well.  For the Zhen Hao couple, I would choose water. Water has been seen in many of their segments, where Yi An has to walk over the pond on a wire and learn to trust her own abilities with Zhen Hao behind her. Heavy Rain was the element that made them have their first time to get to know each other, up in the mountains where they stayed in the cabin (wouldn't it be nice if they could honeymoon there?) Zhen Hao rescued Yi An from the storm where she was petrified with terror. Their first kiss was standing in a river, playing in the water. Their love is like a slow, warm bubbly bath scented with roses.    The last and youngest, I would put as FIRE! No doubt about it, theses 2 want each other so badly, there is SO much passion and yet so much denial. It seems that Madame Secretary is taking her boss by the hand and she is wanting to date first. I don't think she wants to miss out on romance, and that is one way to stop the quick trips to the bedroom, without the substance of a relationship and friendship that they need to sustain an enduring marriage. Anyone can have fun in the bedroom, what do you do afterwards is what they need to find out and sample together. But these 2 are still HOT as flames, hence I name the Zhen Kai couple "Fire".  What do you all think?

Can someone please tell me why the grandmother is in such a rush to marry off the older brother????  don't say because he's 40 because he just started dating YX and she's 22 so they have  plenty of time to enjoy each other before marriage and kids.

21 minutes ago, Marie K said:

Can someone please tell me why the grandmother is in such a rush to marry off the older brother????  don't say because he's 40 because he just started dating YX and she's 22 so they have  plenty of time to enjoy each other before marriage and kids.

She is traditional in her outlook on her family values. Not to say she wants her daughter-in-laws feet bound up, but she wants to have the "push" in the direction of the next generation being developed. Grandchildren are a big thing when you get to a certain age in most cultures. You know you have "done your job" per your family's sake when you meet your maker and you can say the 3rd or 4th generation from you is there doing it's business. It's also a VERY FILIAL obligation for the FIRST SON to be the one to take over this duty. However, in this case, in the old days this family would be considered very "rich" with 3 sons, good prospects for wives, and a good extended household. 

10 hours ago, Marie K said:

I have to say I am highly disappointed. Why is it the ZW/YX have gotten NO play what so ever? They make their relationship seem like children dating. No passion at all well ZK/YZ have kissed multiple time and slept together twice (all while someone or both was drunk).YA has 2 guys after her and has kissed multiple times as well. I wish the made their relationship with a lot more passion instead of adult dating a child.( she is 22 for crying out loud)

I think the show dug themselves into that hole by i) making YX a woman-child that acts like a teenager half the time  (although I know teenagers including my own that are far more mature) and ii) letting them have this childhood connection where he saved her life. It's made the age gap so much more glaring.

I've watched a couple of K dramas lately where there's a sizeable age gap between the male and female leads but it doesn't feel as obvious as this one. It seems to me like that they are going out of their way to make this relationship challenging visually and emotionally in every way possible.

10 hours ago, blukat said:

What is Zhen Wei (oldest son) trying to accomplish while visiting his (future) father-in-law's shop? Is he trying to give back what his girlfriend gave to his coffee shop business? (added sales via good old-fashioned promotion via sales flyers, etc.)

What made the father so angry at the grandmother? I saw it of course, without the English subs, and I do not speak or write any Mandarin/Cantonese, etc. What's up with this part of the storyline? 

Also, it seems the girls' father approves of Zhen Hao courting Yi An, that's a plus, it seems that both families approve highly of this match!:wub:

Grandma went over to raise the issue of YX cohabiting ("trial marriage") with ZW. Dad was incensed at the suggestion so ZW went over the the flower shop to mollify him. But after thinking it through, ZW came to the conclusion that the idea wasn't a bad one so that he and Uncle Wu could become better acquainted. Plus YX likes the idea of them seeing each other first thing each day everyday. (It's not as if they don't see each other almost everyday anyway) So he goes over again this time to say that he'd like to move in with YX but live with the Wus as a way for Uncle Wu to get to know him better and not be parted from his daughter at the same time.

The only person who seems to object to YA and ZH is that firebrand idiot YZ but most people in their right minds know that they are a good and probably obvious match.

Archived