[Drama 2016/2017] The Legend of The Blue Sea 푸른 바다의 전설

ilwoo_aein

@nika94 The final story in episode 4, Si-ya's brother and sister-in-law are hired by JJ's mother. But at modern times, JJ's mother is hired by Si-ya's brother. It's very like transmigration.
According to Buddhism, all the people you met in your life are all related to you in your previous lives. If you did lots of bad thing in this life, you will be born to a poor person afterward and maybe someone dislike you is the one bullied by you in a certain previous life.

My thought is that JJ is the transmigration of KDR and SC is the same mermaid that KDR met. But......why SC said she didn't have a name ?

• Like 12

10 hours ago, mythicalove said:

@hairuchii well said! I couldn't have said it any better. Please post more because I absolutely love reading what you have to say. Your description of the the plot sent chills down my spine because it is so true that this story makes me wonder about the possibilty of what exists in that deep blue sea. After all, we only know such a small fraction of the animals that live there. And how fascinating that this story depicts a mermaid whose love is so pure and so beautiful, a love that can only happen once and one that she will continue to seek for the rest of her life. And then the added element of a mermaid's special tears. I reckon mermaid's only cry once in a blue moon, making their tears that much more meaningful. It is as though mermaids are sacred creatures, neither human nor fish, their tears are special, and they are bound to love only once. It does make me wonder too, will a curse fall upon someone who tries to strip a mermaid of her tears? The way this writer paints a mermaid's world is so compelling and bittersweet. How lovely, yet how sweet and sad at the same time. 

@mythicalove Thank you! I think you described it very well here too! :) It is lovely, sweet, but so sad at the same time. 

If I remember it correctly, it has been described that when a mermaid cries, it affects their life in some way. I think this also adds to their pureness of their love and devotion that is selfless and self-sacrificing. 

My favourite line from the series so far is when Shim Chung asks about why the promontory where the Tower of Hercules is should be called the end of the world, when it is really the beginning of the ocean. At that time, I thought how true this line is! We tend to see things in a finite manner because our legs could only take us thus far, and our eyes could only see thus far. There are so many things that exist beyond our finite existence and our limited perception. 

I thought that this line was extra meaningful too, since it signifies how Joon Jae's world is now merged with Shim Chung's. Previously, it would have been the end of the world for him, but ever since Shim Chung has entered his life, he is increasingly taken into her world - the land where he dwells is now continuous with the sea where she lives. The boundaries are now blurred, and he jumps into the ocean and their worlds now coexist as one, not divided. 

Perhaps their worlds and fates have always been intertwined, and not divided too, ever since Dam Ryeong held Sae Wa's outstretched hand. The fisherman's words rings true - in holding her hand, their fates would be irreversibly intertwined; the boundary between two very different worlds would be blurred; we will not know what may happen.

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.40.52.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.43.16.png

Spoiler

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.43.31.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.43.49.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.44.17.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.44.45.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.44.33.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.45.06.png

Screenshot%202016-11-26%2010.45.16.png

When I took the screen caps of this scene again, I am still in awe of how beautiful this scene is. 

• Like 14

8 hours ago, CarolynH said:

I've watched the episodes a couple times too and each time I end up with more questions. I'm really curious as to why JJ's father left.  Why is he so interested in finding him now? It seems once the stepmom came into the picture, the separation between father and son began.  You can understand why JJ has a difficult time with relationships having been abandoned by both mother and father at a young age.

I think that is one of the mysteries of the show! I am also very curious over why JJ's father left, but if I can make a guess, perhaps it is because JJ's father has to take over the conglomerate. JJ's mother mentions over a meal jokingly that she wonders when JJ's father could become a chaebol. JJ's father could have been the errant son of the family and had married JJ's mother in defiance of his family's wishes. 

However, there seems to be a fair bit of frustration and anger in JJ's father's part later when he pulls young JJ, who wants to see his mother, towards him - so I am not so sure now. Could JJ's mother have concealed her secret (if she is a mermaid herself) from JJ's father? And so, JJ's father feels a sense of betrayal?

I think JJ's father also wants to look for JJ because JJ is truly his son and his heir. He has told his secretary that it is time to train JJ as his heir.

• Like 10

I really like the ending part how JJ went against his own belief in order to rush to SC after realizing that she was all alone by herself with the murderer at large. JJ told her at the fireworks that protecting others only come after protecting yourself, yet he threw caution to the wind and risked himself being caught by Detective Hong, because he actually worried more about SC than he himself. In an earlier episode, JJ also broke his own conviction of always running off with stolen goods by actually returning the bangle to SC. I believe JJ will soon question himself and realize just how important SC is to him, that he willingly broke all his own rules for her.

It was so funny how SC got all excited with her new name that she went running over to Tae Oh to introduce herself proudly. :lol: And also the way she dived into the cake without waiting for them to finish the birthday song, and subsequently mimic SA's way of eating and wiping her mouth with tissue... totally hilarious lol.

As for MDY, he is totally a creepy character... The way he smiled at SC when she opened the door.. OMG. I wonder how did he overpower that loan shark guy? He seemed to be much taller and bigger built than him. Is MDY also capable of some kind of hypnosis powers unknown to us?

After watching the director's cut version of how DR told his friend how he had strange dreams about his certain modern self, I'm thinking maybe he was the one who ordered to have the drawings depicted on the vase. SA's co-worker was even joking about how the person had a glimpse of the future through a time machine.

• Like 12

@hairuchii: thank you for your insight regarding JJ's father.  Maybe JJ's father was pressured by his family to marry someone of his own stature if he had to take over the family business. If JJ's father is dying, then I understand why the father is now looking for him. Or maybe he is finally beginning to regret not having his son in his life. I might have to watch that scene again where JJ sees his father on TV-lol

now, uglypearl's explanation of KAIST leads me to more questions. I was under the impression that JJ left his family at a pretty young age because I assume he would be miserable living with the stepmother and father.  How did he get in and pay for KAIST? KAIST sounds like the equivalent of MIT or Caltech in the US , both of which are difficult to get into.   Was JJ a good student gone bad or was his intention a life of crime- I think, the former. 

• Like 11

Well nuts @roneddski: now I wonder if MDY could have been JJ's mentor in terms of using hypnosis to commit crimes which could explain why he looked at JJ when they passed in the early episode. MDY could have taken it one step further in killing people. Was MDY described in the earlier episodes as just a killer or kills in the process of burglary?

i have so many questions that I'm beginning to question whether I was paying attention to what was happening or just looking at LMH? Lol

• Like 8

I've just finished watching the episode 3 and 4 and I am liking more and more this drama. :heart:So it is about reincarnation so that what happened in the past can be corrected. Striking is that in the future, except the mermaid, all the people involved have a different fate. Actually their situation has been reversed.

- HJJ is now a con-artist, while as DR he used to work for the government. It is the same for Lord Yang who has turned into a criminal. Yet, HJJ's good disposition hasn't really changed because he actually conned dishonest persons who would escape from the justice system. 

- Kang Seo Hee has like in the past a special connection with Ma. She was Lord Yang's mistress (gisaeng), but now her social status has changed. She is now the real mistress of the household, unlike in the past. Yet her greedy and cruel nature hasn't changed either.

As we can see, despite the changes in the social status, the nature of their soul has remained the same. We see HJJ's goodness, his mother has always cherished her son and she has still the air of the lady, although she is now the maid.

As conclusion, something bad must have happened to the mermaid or DR in the past, now this is the time to make things right. They can love each other.  

• Like 10