[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

finished watching ep 12. what did folks think of the little character nuggets we got this week?

sung jun / mr. guitar -- so it seems that he ran off to the states with a rich man's daughter at the peak of his career and now he regrets that. is there more to that story?

not sure how it happened but he ended up working at a restaurant as a manger and then had to pay a settlement with customers who sued him and lost his residency as well. so it looks like he has fallen back on singing now that he is back in korea and not necessarily singing to revive his career. why do I get the feeling that the music company which wants him to invest is a sham and he is going to end up being fleeced? is that how he will end up at the tailor shop?

hyo joo / ex-wife / fire spitting dragon -- so from her point of view, dong jin is like an expensive tv that she paid for and when it didn't work, she threw it out. she said that neither dong jin and her were in love. so did he marry her for his ambition only? dong jin had this awkward pause when grape girl was telling about her con hubby and so it made me wonder if dong jin also married out of obligation....

yun shil / grape girl ~ so she wants to be tailor because that was her father's dream. and did it surprise anyone that she hasn't visited her con hubby gi pyo? thought that she will visit him out of obligation and was surprised to find that she didn't. having second thoughts?

hyo won - taeyang -- was laughing that she thinks taeyang is a player with a round of women visiting him. can he not have sisters or friends? silly girl. but am glad that they didn't drag out the false impression that ji eun signed for his surgery and give him false hope. instead, he knows straight away that it wasn't her and only hopes it is when yun shil suggests it but ji eun nixes that with her chopping words. but it makes me wonder what he means that he will make ji eun regret. does that mean he will use hyo won to get some revenge on ji eun?

On 10/2/2016 at 8:07 AM, chasen8888 said:

As for the girl who dropped Tae Yang I am so looking forward to her comeuppance as she thinks that she is a player when the one she is dating is actually a master player himself.

ji eun -- so she is selfish to the point where she pretends to hospital staff that she does not know him but still has a conscience that she pops in the hospital to make sure he is alive? it was funny to see hyo sang laughing at her lies so blatantly and calling her naive to her face -- does she really think that she can fool him? he seems to be really enjoying the game. why do I get the feeling that when the player is done playing with her, she will try run back to taeyang only to find out it is too late...

On 10/2/2016 at 8:07 AM, chasen8888 said:

One thing is certain I really want them to change the personality of the matriarch's character to someone who stops whining & exaggerating all the time. Plus Yun Shil's hairstyle.

can't stand her whining either @chasen8888; maybe it is her voice? am not sure why she even bothered to meet hyo joo. it is like she had no idea how unhappy her son was or how hyo joo treated him like a butler. does she not know that by meeting ms ko or hyo joo, she makes dong jin look pathetic?...

27 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

I think I read somewhere that the actress portraying Dongjin's MIL is an actual wealthy lady IRL, maybe that's why she dresses flamboyantly no? 

really? well thats interesting because I have seen her really flamboyant outfits in every drama I have seen her in. she never plays the poor grandma role! hahahahha...

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lmangla Au contraire my dear. The actress did play a poor ahjumma on KBS' Two Mothers(?) if I'm not mistaken, it was quite refreshing seeing her in a more humble setting. I think she even used a laundry clothes peg as a hairpin LMFAo.

Yea I agree with you on Sungjun's sudden change of luck. It just seemed too good to be true. You @Lmangla basically predicted a bunch of future episodes it would seem LoL! 

I am confused by how Yeonshil's marriage came to be - to a thug/loan shark of all people. She just seem so clean-cut to be on the wrong side of tracks, 'cause the guy is technically a criminal, unless she married to settle some unspeakable debt or I missed something LoL!?

@Latte_Anyday ~ grape girl married con gi pyo out of gratefulness. from what I remember, her dad had some organ failure -- was it kidney? liver? anyway, this guy donated but the dad still died. then, loan sharks were harassing her for money and he dealt with it. so, basically he had a massive crush on her when she was in high school and protected her those times. so she felt obligated/grateful and was convinced that he had turned a new leaf since he promised her.....

Guest AlexMao

@Lmangla Tae Yang doesn't really seem the type to use someone for his own selfish gains. That really wouldn't differentiate him from the other characters. We know from all that he's sacrificed for his silly ex- that he's more like Yoon Shil/Hyo Won in that he cares more about helping others than hurting them. My problem is going to be how Hyo Sang meddling with him is going to impact his ability to move on from his ex- and start anew with Hyo Won. 

You do bring up an interesting point about Dong Jin considering everything that both Hyo Joo and he have said about their marriage being a loveless one. If his loyalty/love for her father made him marry her. At this point I'm wondering why we're even focusing on their marriage you would think after everything that has been said a quick stamp of a few documents and we'd be done with it but no Hyo Joo is dragging things out because of some silliness with her pride/expectations ... ugh. 

What I did like about the episode, after re-watching episode 12, is that both Dong Jin and Yoon Shil have far more things in common than I thin either of them realized. It makes me wonder how many things we're going to find out through internal monologue versus straight-up drunken ramblings.

@AlexMao ~ taeyang does not seem like the type to use people but we can see him already hardening and almost getting jaded due to the breakup with ji eun. had a friend once say something that stayed with me. she said that -- it is okay if relationships end or break up because not all relationships are meant to be. but what it is more important is how the relationship impacted you and him as well. are you a better woman because of him and is he a better man because of you? does he leave with learning something positive about women or does he leave with a negative image of women?-- those were interesting questions and a different perspective.

think it was totally okay for ji eun to decide that she had outgrown the relationship and wanted something else. however, the way she went about it was hurtful to taeyang -- she seemed determined to crush his worth as a man and a person because she seemed to think that was the only way he will leave.. so  it will be interesting for taeyang to meet hyowon -- she is a ditz but she helped him even though she didn't have to. it will be good for him to learn that there is still value in treating people well. so, I can see taeyang hardening and become more jaded thanks to hyosang but maybe finding his bearings once agian with friends like yun shil and hyowon. I just hope he doesn't stoop to using hyowon....

9 hours ago, AlexMao said:

both Dong Jin and Yoon Shil have far more things in common

rreally? I am kind of bored with these two and don't pay too much attention. what are you referring to?

am just curious about dong jin because so far there is no indication why he married hyo joo. according to hyo joo, it was his ambition and if that was the case, doesn't she have a right to expect that he completes his end of the deal? what do folks think? if you marry for ambition, then is it not expected that you would be treated like a product/employee? at the moment, dong jin doesn't seem so ambitious that he would sacrifice his soul -- so it is a question on why he did.........

Guest AlexMao

@Lmangla You actually brought up the idea that both Dong Jin & Yoon Shil might have entered into their relationship through some kind of obligation to the other person (Yoon Shil to the deadbeat husband/gangster) or to that persons parent (Dong Jin to Hyo Joo's father). To morph that slightly Yoon Shil wanting to be a tailor because of her father and then Dong Jin wanting to work in the tailor shop because of his fathers looming heath/spirit. I'm drawing at straws without question but they do share a lot of similarities. The bickering is becoming a problem for me as well, but that's just standard drama theme to get a couple together. We saw some bit of Don Jin's wall coming down in the episode (arm up when he suddenly braked, catching her when she was going to stumble over after drinking). 

I'm not sure I would say Dong Jin married Hyo Joo because of ambition because if he had I don't think he would have signed the divorce papers as quickly. Then again I don't think anyone knows his reasoning now because we've only been given a few breadcrumbs about his past.

About Tae Yang I suppose you could look at it that way, I still think he's somewhat in shock over it all. To be perfectly honest it doesn't help that they keep crossing paths and it's certainly going to be problematic when he finally gets that job at Mesa. I rather not see him use Hyo Won at all except for a shoulder to lean on or guide to maneuver Mesa's internal politics of course managing/overcoming his feelings for the ex- in the process.  

On 26/08/2016 at 4:05 PM, irilight said:

Photos from the press conf. just posted by KBS World

14102706_1249776185041924_1710034012869056818_n.jpg?oh=f101186170e18aa9ee5e9ed45250dcac&oe=583C01AD

Reveal hidden contents

You guys have no idea how much I HATE this couple.  I loved the idea of Dong Sook's daughter with him.  She's so cute and she's serious---she knows what she wants to do.  They've been long term friends. They have history.   Their relationships are connected.  But this girl is an outsider who finagle her way into the group.   When I thought that family was done with that Meesa Apparel group---that daughter had to be put in the mix. ~sigh~

Just watched Cha Inpyo, La Miran, Jo Yunhee and Lee Donggun on KBS' Happy Together. They were not veering that far away from their onscreen characters if at all LoL:P La Miran is much prettier without the Ahjumma hair and her chemistry with Inpyo is just as awesome as their onscreen pairing:D However it's v.awkward for Donggeun/Yunhee who play Dongjin/Yeonshil. Yunhee didn't mince her words when she bluntly called Donggeun boring and unfunny *Ouch* 

@vaberella Whoa hate is way too harsh don't ya think LoL?

Their pairing don't appeal to me either... While Dongsook's daughter can come across as immature(?) Whereas if Taeyang was paired with Dongjin's former SIL it will make for an interesting pair because it's like Romeo-Juliet with the family conflicts etc. 

15 minutes ago, Latte_Anyday said:

Whereas if Taeyang was paired with Dongjin's former SIL it will make for an interesting pair because it's like Romeo-Juliet with the family conflicts etc. 

romeo juliet? @Latte_Anyday ~ didn't know that you have a romantic streak in you?! kekekek...:D but you do realize that he is way too sensible to be romeo though she is ditzy enough to be juliet (who drank the poison by mistake and basically choked).... hahaha.. but he isn't even related to dong jin and I still have to figure out how exactly he knows grape girl. does anybody know? did they go to the same elementary school or something?

Why do you find it hard to believe that I'm a romanticist LoL?!:P Speaking of @Lmangla you're the eternal optimist who's a TaecGui shipper OK:phew: I haven't really watched the episodes in its entirety like you, therefore I can't dissect them into teeny bits to partake in a detailed post...sorry:sweatingbullets: Taeyang just seems very set in his ways(?) and I don't know he looks to be someone who is an idealist rather than sensible. Like he thinks love is all there is to a relationship and nothing more. He also lack drive only liking all these multiple part-time jobs to get by. As for Hyowon, she seems really nosy LoL. In that she keeps butting into Taeyang's business like no other.

That is the million dollar question ain't it?! How does Taeyang know Yeonshil? Why is it they have better chemistry together than with their significant other?? 

hahahah... can't imagine you as a romantic when you seem to think that I am an optimist @Latte_Anyday!! :lol: in other threads, their mind spins that I ask so many random unrelated questions, distracted by details like the background of the sofa and harsh on some characters! hahahha... but yea, maybe I am kind and understanding towards characters that I do like? :D but romeo was an idiot who was actually not really in love with juliet, more in love with the idea of being in love. so, taeyang does seem to be bit of purist in his ideas of love but I did like that he wasn't stupid enough to immediately jump to the conclusion that his ex had come to help him at the hospital. though am still wondering why he feels the need to keep in touch and not block her number completely. soon I guess?

On 10/2/2016 at 1:31 PM, Latte_Anyday said:

@valsava Agrees *nods head* I don't feel any chemistry between Dongjin and Miss Bob Haircut either:P Maybe it's both the actors' fault...??<_< The Drama relies too much on these lewd toilet jokes to bring them together, urg yea still not feelin' it-_- The fact that Dongjin explicitly states that he doesn't like her at all is pretty straightforward enough. On the other, there's better chemistry between Miss Bob Haircut and Taeyang.

@Latte_Anyday  I'm not going to entertain the idea that YS and DJ supposed to be a pair. He's to smart and arrogant and she's to stupid and ridiculous. I mean who would sign a piece of papers stating they wouldn't date another guy when semi married husband is in jail. I think MIL is trying to make her be responisible for her absent son.. But no way can I buy they suuposed to be or gonna be and loving pair.

On 10/2/2016 at 1:31 PM, AlexMao said:

@valsava At the moment I'm in the same boat as you, I can't see her changing overnight but maybe this scare with Han Eun Sook will at the very least give her pause enough to think before she acts.I think that's probably the biggest thing they need to focus on. If she can control her attitude I think everything else will fall into place. She knew that Sam Do was miserable working the chicken stall so I don't think she'll have to worry about him so long as he's happy working at the tailor shop. On the flip side I think with Sun Nyeo being on her own/unemployed she'll be somewhat of a burden. Get them both working and doing what they like and they'll both be too tired to argue or worry about what the other is doing. I don't know maybe have Dong Sook set up a small cafe/eatery at the manhwa shop for her to sell side dishes/basic things This will allow her to get to know Sung Joon a bit better and they could form a trio/bit of side story so they can break up the other romance stories going on throughout the series. 

@AlexMao  If she was to set up a small cafe it's going to be ears and eye sight to everything that goes on in the tailor shop her insecurities are a hazard to her marrige and she won't be chamging any time soon a leapord can't change they spot over night even with the scare from HES..

Now DJ wife is going to be the one hard to accept the change in him even though they are legally divorced.. She will still feel the need that she has the right to go and bark orders at him because thats what she's used to doing and she sure as hell isn't going to see him off dating someone else when she is miserable and unhappy.. 

I can see and feel the pairing with DJ sister and Mr Guitar she's going to jump him anyday now it's only amatter of time..LOl SMH but other then that there's no romantic pair in the drama oh wait I take that back YS friend and DJ EX SIL.. I thought she had the hots for her BIL at first.

Guest AlexMao

@valsava I can't say I disagree with you. If Hyo Joo simply let things slide her whole presence in the series would have been for naught. At best I see her as a bump (or landmine I suppose) for both Dong Jin & Yoon Shil happiness. I actually like this part since it means that one or both will actually have to fight for something rather than rolling over and accepting the misery they're being dealt. 

Going back to Sun Nyeo I'd written that before watching episode 12 and seeing Sun Nyeo & Sung Joon get smashed. What else do you propose the writers do with these characters? Without building up some kind of background/story for these three they're pretty one-dimensional to me (gruff/opinionated wife, has-been and the love stuck fan girl). My way would at least give us some story and segway from Dong Jin & Yoon Shil and whatever the writers have in store for Tae Yang, Da Jung & Hyo Won.

2 minutes ago, AlexMao said:

@valsava I can't say I disagree with you. If Hyo Joo simply let things slide her whole presence in the series would have been for naught. At best I see her as a bump (or landmine I suppose) for both Dong Jin & Yoon Shil happiness. I actually like this part since it means that one or both will actually have to fight for something rather than rolling over and accepting the misery they're being dealt. 

@AlexMao  Not only HJ being a bump in the road for DJ and YS lets not forget about her Semi Husband I could see that contract him and HJ being a nasty pair between the two and lets not forget MIL who wants her to quit working all together.. 

@Lmangla You DO come across as an optimist!:P The color of font you constantly choose may or may not reflect your mood/ personality subconsciously. I always see the color Blue as calming. Y'know I admire your tenacity in watchin' a K-Drama episode in such minute detail LMFAo!:lol: I mean it's bad enough I can't even keep up with the subtitles:crazy: To then pick on their expressions, wardrobe, surroundings... it gives me a headache-_-

Maybe aside from bein' an idealist, Taeyang's also a masochist?:P It appears from their conversations both Taeyang & Ms. Material Girl/ Gold Digger have a lot of history together - they've been in a relationship for a long time. He's probably unwilling to let her go because he's in denial that they're over. There's still a chance of rekindling for him. I won't be surprised the moment he hooks up with Dongjin's ex SIL, that Ms. Gold Digger will come crawling back. Just you watch:ph34r: LoL 

@valsava You think Dongjin's smart? Really LoL? OK to each their own:phew: I think Yeonshil had her arm twisted to sign those papers - literally. I mean knowing her husband's criminal history I'm not surprised. Well you better brace yourself because the way the plot is goin' Dongjin is definitely pairing up with Yeonshil. Now that his divorce is out of the way, it's a matter of time before Yeonshil signs hers. Although this bein' a 50 episodic drama they would drag out this plotline for all it's worth.  

Guest AlexMao

@valsava I can't really see Yoon Shil husband or whatever he is being as big of a thorn as Hyo Joo will be. His thing as well as his mother appears to be money or at the very least opportunity to make money. So I could see Hyo Joo being a bit jaded by Dong Jin moving on and to someone like Yoon Shil to boot pay Yoon Shil's husband and/or his gangster thugs to rough Dong Jin up and make his new life a living hell. You're going to mention the mother-in-law who is on par to being just as awful character as Hyo Joo is so I'll throw her into the same boat as her son, given her something else to fixate over and she'll run along. 

@Latte_Anyday Dong Jin is smart, business smart NOT people smart. He lacks personality and compassion for anyone other than his family. Which makes things interesting since Yoon Shil is brimming with personality so their relationship will be an interesting one. Given that this is a long drama it's going to be a long and frustrating adventure. 

@AlexMao said:-

Dong Jin is smart, business smart NOT people smart. He lacks personality and compassion for anyone other than his family. Which makes things interesting since Yoon Shil is brimming with personality so their relationship will be an interesting one. Given that this is a long drama it's going to be a long and frustrating adventure. 

Perhaps. Dongjin's like the stereotypical K-Drama male protagonist. Seems cold on the outside but has actual warmth on the inside. However because of the actor playin' him - Dongjin comes off as robotic. Yeonshil comes across as someone v.naive to me. Not just that but she seems v.uncouth, like a country bumpkin of sorts LoL. IDK, I'm not feelin' their pairing at the very least.

Hi everyone.. im a huge fan of this drama but was disappointed with the lack of discussion on this forum ha-ha.. but seeing some posts here have given me hope that I can finally post my thoughts too..

Fave pairing: believe it or not it is hyowon/taeyang..  I saw someone posted that she hates this pair and wishes taeyang would be with dongsook's daughter instead but I have to disagree. First of all, hyowon has shown that she is the most human person in that household . She is nothing like her evil mom + brother and is kind towards hyojoo even though  hyojoo did all kinds of nasty stuff towards her. She's the only one who actually cares about dongjin and doesn't see him as merely a rival/potential CEO.. she is basically the glue that tries to hold her family together. Why I like her better for taeyang is because since the get go she has shown that she cares about taeyang. She ran into him when he was sick and puked in the ladies room but out of sheer concern, she kept calling him, who was basically a complete stranger to tall him to quit drinking and improve his life. What kind of person would do that to a complete stranger? I wouldn't.. sure she's misunderstanding him so far but she does have a good heart. She even tries to befriend Dongsook's daughter because she has none and stood up to Jiyoon for being so obnoxious. I can't wait for them to officially be introduced by Hyosang.. 

Dongjin/yunshil.  It's getting better for them as the story progresses. His perception of her is slowly changing. I know there's going to be a huge conflict with her husband/crazy MIL but I hope they don't drag it out for too long. Yunshil needs to come clean to her husband that while she is grateful for all the things he did, she doesn't love him enough to spend the rest of her life with him. Plus, that life will include liaison with his gang members. Yunshil needs to also break away from crazy MIL and tell her that the contract she signed is totally invalid because she didn't do it out of her own free will.. 

Sunnyeo/Samdo.. I think she's finally pregnant based on the preview? I love them and they are so cute together lol

Dongsook/Sung Jun . Not into them at all I just skip their parts. I don't really like her fangirling over him like that and I'm waiting for his life to turn for the better before I try to watch him again

Dongsook's daughter - seriously don't know her role in the drama. If it's to spice up taeyang's love life, I don't think that will work as he clearly isn't interested in her and im thinking that jiyoon will want taeyang again in the future, only she'll face hyowon.. 

Ok end of rant.   :)

2 hours ago, TheMschelsea91 . said:

Fave pairing: believe it or not it is hyowon/taeyang..  I saw someone posted that she hates this pair and wishes taeyang would be with dongsook's daughter instead but I have to disagree. First of all, hyowon has shown that she is the most human person in that household . She is nothing like her evil mom + brother and is kind towards hyojoo even though  hyojoo did all kinds of nasty stuff towards her. She's the only one who actually cares about dongjin and doesn't see him as merely a rival/potential CEO.. she is basically the glue that tries to hold her family together. Why I like her better for taeyang is because since the get go she has shown that she cares about taeyang. She ran into him when he was sick and puked in the ladies room but out of sheer concern, she kept calling him, who was basically a complete stranger to tall him to quit drinking and improve his life. What kind of person would do that to a complete stranger? I wouldn't.. sure she's misunderstanding him so far but she does have a good heart. She even tries to befriend Dongsook's daughter because she has none and stood up to Jiyoon for being so obnoxious. I can't wait for them to officially be introduced by Hyosang.. 

yea, she is the glue that holds the family together. what I am enjoying about her character is that she feels fresh. she isn't candy kind like many characters in other dramas and she does tend to frustrated with her family but it is hilariously dramatic -- like when she tells her family that she acts like the stepmom and her mom counters that hyowon is the stepdaughter and hywon does a surprised "oh no" ditzy light bulb moment. hahahahha... even the way she is kind to taeyang feels different because of her ditziness and her random misunderstandings. so it makes her fun to watch.

Archived