[Weekend Drama 2016] Laurel Tree Tailors 월계수양복점신사들 ~ Starring Cha In Pyo, Ra Mi Ran ~

tikamacika

1 hour ago, natkat said:

Look at TY mocking HW sticking out her tongue lol i never noticed that when watching the episode!

source: x

HaHaHa... i didn't notice that too :w00t: it is really funny. I think i should rewatch that episode again. LOL... but i think this episode is the best among all. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@wizuwizu welcome back chingu! Thank you so much for making the strips despite your busy schedule :wub: i enjoyed them so much and it just made my day. Hehe... 

2 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

Hmm.. I hope before anyone shreds any paper YS will speak up and say that she signed the paper under duress, which will not legally bind her. Not so familiar with contract law of any country, but I do know that any contract signed under duress isn't valid. Not sure why GP's mom is back again though, and in YS's house no less - didn't DJ install that numbered lock to prevent GP's goons/mom from entering the place without knowledge? 

@TheMsChelsea91 if GP's mom is in YS's house, it means YS lets her in because GP's mom doesn't know the door code for sure. As we know YS is a kind-hearted one and as long as she still thinks she is her mom-in-law, she still wants to talk with her. Except GP's mom threaten her and finally she let her in. 

@caranthir_idril & @TheMsChelsea91 I always thought the contract wasn't valid because there were no terms and conditions, just a one-sided promise. This Contract 101 article that I quickly got of the internet states that a contract needs two elements to be valid: 1) all parties in agreement, and 2) something of value must be exchanged for something else of value. I assume these conditions are the same in most countries. The first condition can be argued with the fact that YS was under duress as @TheMsChelsea91 has stated. But then, it would be one person's word against another. The second condition was what I was wondering about. GP's mom said that the contract says YS agrees to get married to GP when he gets out of prison and not date any other men while he is prison. There was no mention of what YS gets in return (exchange of value) and no penalties for breach of contract (so what if she doesn't follow the "contract"?). How can a contract be valid without one or both of those terms? But then, GP's mom could have written down a whole bunch of stuff that she didn't tell YS about.

@TheMsChelsea91, @valzki & @finebyme aww thanks guys. It was a long weekend, and I didn't feel like looking at any of my work stuff, so used the time to make the strips instead. Also, my avatar was actually me a few months back (hair back to black now), was making a mascot for a poster on disaster awareness, and thought, why not draw myself LOL. Sadly the poster didn't make the cut, had to redesign. Anyway, plan to watch episode 32 later today, so will post comments etc later~

13 hours ago, TheMsChelsea91 said:

Hmm.. I hope before anyone shreds any paper YS will speak up and say that she signed the paper under duress, which will not legally bind her. Not so familiar with contract law of any country, but I do know that any contract signed under duress isn't valid. Not sure why GP's mom is back again though, and in YS's house no less - didn't DJ install that numbered lock to prevent GP's goons/mom from entering the place without knowledge? 

@TheMsChelsea91  I don't put nothing past GP goons they been breaking and entering probably all they lifes I could see GP mom barging her way in her home becase DJ darn sure change the lock system on Ys place but knowing YS scary but she probably let her in to continue to beat on her she may even be packing up her crap to move her to the country with her and talk about her the whole time she's there..

happy to be online again! yea! :relieved:

@haifa234 - I totally hear you! it would be nice if we reacted as calm and cool like taeyang. I tend to cry like hyowon when I get upset and so it is a little reassuring to see someone cry like that in a drama. makes me feel less silly for not crying more prettily! LOL....

and a 09  to some new faces -- @000231846597 @finebyme @delphinium8593 ....

and also to our quieter members @dulceres @windywind -- thanks for clicking like and keeping the thread active. we see you! :love:

and @Misstwilightfan1416 -- you are like a train! quietly and efficiently posting the kbs world links week after week. :star:

On 12/13/2016 at 1:09 PM, delphinium8593 said:

My 3 words for The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop: heartwarming, funny, and full of life-lessons:heart:

nice display pic by the way -- looks tasty! hahahaha.... so what life lessons are you taking away? it is always interesting to hear someone take away something that you would have never thought of...

On 12/12/2016 at 0:29 PM, rubie said:

Source: Newsen

Who cares about 'Laurel Tree Tailors?' ((We dohappy004.gif))

Sitting comfortably on the overwhelming viewership throne.

ofcourse we do! :wink: what kind of headline is that? guess, it is not one of those trendy buzz worthy dramas but quietly does its job. when it started, I was wondering how it will do against the competition (especially one at SBS which had a buzz for its main lead couple) but it shows that ultimately, it is about creating lovable interesting characters and a good story....

23 hours ago, caranthir_idril said:

On 12/12/2016 at 1:14 PM, rubie said:

December 12, 2016

Best couple nominations at Drama Awards

(KBS)

KBS revealed the nominations for the “Best Couple” Award for the 2016 KBS Drama Awards.

The candidates include:

“Five Enough” - Ahn Jae-wook and So Yoo-jin, Sung-hoon and Shin Hye-sun, 

“The Gentlemen of Wolgyesu Tailor Shop” - Cha In-pyo and Ra Mi-ran, Hyun-woo and Lee Se-young

By Lee Sang-won (sangdoze@heraldcorp.com)

ommoooooo, why DJ &YS not in the list?

am both surprised and not surprised... would be interested to hear what others think...

so surprised -- they are the main lead and I thought I was in the minority that wasnt very enthusiastic about this pair...

not surprised -- the other three couples actually make me curious and inspire a range of reactions -- eek1-smiley-face.gif?1302011349    to  drunk-smiley-face.gif?1302011347    to  console-smiley-face.gif?1302011337     to  brucelee-smiley-face.gif?1302011324    to guitar-smiley-face.gif?1302011374     to  lmfao-smiley-face.gif?1302011390    to     :wub:   ... (going crazy with smileys.. hahahah)

dong jin - yunshil ~ other than me getting irritated at the writer for abruptly changing the story, my reaction while watching this two is... eat-smiley-face.gif?1302011348am watching but they don't really inspire me to post or comment much..... so maybe thats why weren't nominated. they are a likable couple but at the same time, they don't necessarily inspire much reaction..... 

@wizuwizu - nice cameo! was laughing at your catch of the job fair poster one taeyang's wall. kekeke.. (from the preview) if someone is emptying his room, surely, they could have kept that poster! it is not like taeyang needs to take it wherever he is moving to. lmfao-smiley-face.gif?1302011390

6 hours ago, Lmangla said:

am both surprised and not surprised... would be interested to hear what others think...

so surprised -- they are the main lead and I thought I was in the minority that wasnt very enthusiastic about this pair...

not surprised -- the other three couples actually make me curious and inspire a range of reactions -- eek1-smiley-face.gif?1302011349    to  drunk-smiley-face.gif?1302011347    to  console-smiley-face.gif?1302011337     to  brucelee-smiley-face.gif?1302011324    to guitar-smiley-face.gif?1302011374     to  lmfao-smiley-face.gif?1302011390    to     :wub:   ... (going crazy with smileys.. hahahah)

dong jin - yunshil ~ other than me getting irritated at the writer for abruptly changing the story, my reaction while watching this two is... eat-smiley-face.gif?1302011348am watching but they don't really inspire me to post or comment much..... so maybe thats why weren't nominated. they are a likable couple but at the same time, they don't necessarily inspire much reaction..... 

Sorry if i cut your post chingu :)

I think the reason why they don't really inspire much reaction because we know the story goes that way from the beginning. Just like other dramas that start with the leads hate each other, then mostly they will date or fall for each other in the end. A common plot though. But for me, i fell for this drama because of them. I love their bickering moment especially.  I was curious how DJ would change into a different person when he fell for YS is the reason why i watch this drama. 

Ps. I like your reaction with smileys :love: they are funny. Haha

1 hour ago, valzki said:

I think the reason why they don't really inspire much reaction because we know the story goes that way from the beginning. Just like other dramas that start with the leads hate each other, then mostly they will date or fall for each other in the end. A common plot though. But for me, i fell for this drama because of them. I love their bickering moment especially.  I was curious how DJ would change into a different person when he fell for YS is the reason why i watch this drama. 

Ps. I like your reaction with smileys :love: they are funny. Haha

well put @valzki; yea, sometimes predictable is still entertaining and what you want at that time.. in the beginning, I was actually curious about how they would end up together because gyo po was written differently. then the writer had to re-write the plot, make gyo po bad and yunshil basically coward doormat. the story no longer felt different and now predictable.....so not much reaction. on the flip side, thats probably good because it means I get to totally enjoy the pink glitter bandit family. hahahah.. initially thought gyo po will die in prison or something and there will be some sort of revenge maybe from yunshil teaming up with dong jin..... then that would have made hyosang and ms. ko evil. so one plus from yun shil and dong jin being predictably boring -- I get to enjoy hyosang and totally laugh at ms. ko  tv-happy-smiley-face.gif?1302011436 so yea! 

P.S -- kekeke..  had lots of fun choosing the smiley reactions and seeing which would suit the three couples. hahahah... texano-smiley-face.gif?1302011432

On 12/13/2016 at 3:00 AM, caranthir_idril said:

ommoooooo, why DJ &YS not in the list? 

@caranthir_idril do not despair for this. I actually kinda expected this. One thing that i notice from years of watching kdrama, koreans seem to love explosive/passionate kind of chemistry. Which is probably why wrist grab is a trope that may never die in dramaland, heh. Our main couple is almost an anti-thesis of this. This is probably the first kdrama where I see an alpha male who is so excellent at respecting boundaries and constantly appreciative and caring of his partner's feeling. This fascinates me because it's quite a rare animal in dramaland. I doubt we'll ever see a wrist grab from this couple, lol. Instead of grandstanding, their chemistry is a slow burn, built on small moments and tender skinship.  Even their cliche moment (e.g the slip-hug in the temple) played in relatively low key manner. Their heavy situation never played overly angsty or super melodramatic like in other similar drama. I suspect this ordinariness of their relationship is not everyone's cup of tea. Like @pinkdicentra aptly described, their chemistry is like a warm tea instead of sweet cake (or alcohol buzz? ha!). It will warm you though may never make you high. At the end of the day we should just ship who moved our ❤️ the most, isnt it? And for me, this couple is on the path of becoming my favorite for this year if it continues in this direction. So yeah, I will just be happy that at least one couple from this drama got the nomination and continue to love who I want to love most. 

I enjoyed watching HW's mother and her antics . She's definitely not your typical Korean mother who opposes her daughter's boyfriend. It was so touching the mother daughter convo.

YS and DJ I'm sensing an imminent break in her relationship only because DJ is going to get hurt and she has to leave him. If I were in her position the thought of someone hurting him or maiming him for life or burning the shop down will drive me to run away . Poor girl what an awful anvil to hang around her neck that GP. How are they going to solve this I shall watch with a lot of interest.  Meanwhile I really like how sweet DJ and YS are to each other. It's like a foreshadowing of doom.

14 hours ago, Lmangla said:

nice display pic by the way -- looks tasty! hahahaha.... so what life lessons are you taking away? it is always interesting to hear someone take away something that you would have never thought of...

Thank you for your kind response! I feel like i've found a new family here ❤️
I learned so much from this drama, actually from almost every character...

Lee Man Sool
Is the first character that captures my heart. In the world we are living now, everything is mass product and factory-made. A tailored suit is maybe similar to homemade chocolate cookies compared to Meesa's suit similar to Famous Amous cookie or something like that. The workmanship and the heart involved in the making process is the one that differ them from the others. That's what makes who wear/eat will feel that they're special and reallt meant for them. Whatever our occupation is, we need to incorporate this into everyday actions. Maybe after years of working the same thing, such as our regular jobs, babysittting the kids, serving our husband dinners...it became a routine and we're lacking that "feel" to serve the best. It's time to reset our view and try to give the best to our family and surroundings. 
Besides that, LMS can always look on the bright side...when CGJ told him that she's tired of worrying about her children, LMS said that it is better that we worry about them, not vice versa. And when LDS want to marry STP, he is the only one seeing that its not easy for STP to marry a divorcee. I wonder what will he say towards DJ-YS relationship though.

Choi Gok Ji
Despite of the her irritating involvement in their children lives, it actually showed how much she cares for DJ and DS. She gave her life for her family, we see her doing nothing besides taking care of her household. Deep inside she is a kindhearted lady, remembering how she treat YS in the first episodes, like her own daughter. Although it sadly deteriorating when she saw YS & DJ in the kitchen washing the dishes. Eventually we can see a wedding is coming, i hope she doesn't abruptly change her mind.

Sung Tae Pyung
One ultimate lesson we can learn from him is: NEVER GIVE UP. Lol. Well at first it is hard for him to embrace the reality that he isnt that top singer anymore, but he finally gets the grip and humble himself to turn his career into trot singer, which is now benefit him. I also respect his carefulness to DS and her daughter, he has grown from a sensitive, cranky forgotten singer into a responsible gentleman.

Min Hyo Won
Her persistence...based on love...is amazing. I mean how many of us will end the efforts and give up. She seems like a shallow immature young lady but as Mrs.Ko and TY said, we're wrong. She has overcome her own hurting childhood and wounds. Her optimism and simple way of life...

Kang Tae Yang
His endurance in life is superb. He has been having a dark moment of his life, debt, heartbroken, her mother is ill, etc. He humbled himself to work as anything he can find. I am curious to see whether he is going to be one of Meesa top leaders, remembering that he will marry MHW the heirs of Meesa. But it means something should happen to MHS, and LDH refuses to return as CEO. 

Bae Sam Do and Bok Sun Nyeo
This couple is maybe the kind of couple that we will look at, when we pass through them in the street. Killer-handsome husband and an ahjumma, lol. But what i admire from them is...they stick together through thick and thin. It could be when BSD leave to Seoul, BSN will stay in the market frying chicken. But she willingly went along even with a risk that she wont have any job. I hope the next episodes will give them a life reward, for they has been working so hard. A baby maybe? Or a new business? Also the appearance of Oh Yong Eun, i heard few speculations saying whether she is having terminal illness so in the end SD and SY will adopt the boy. But before that i hope to see SY make-over maybe? She is so beautiful in real life when her hair is not in ahjumma style! Maybe OYE will motivate her to change her look into more ladylike? Haha maybe...

Na Yun Shil
In the first episodes, she fails to impress me due to her hairstyle. But now i know that hairstyle has a purpose to the drama itself. In a drama, a character growth is emphasized also by appearance, such as different

Febe Christianto, [15.12.16 07:09]
clothing style, hair style, make-up and so on, just like STP who finally repent from his rock style hair into the short elegant one. YS hair has grown throughout the filming, now a shoulder-length bob that suits her. Many fans prefer her in long hair but i think for her role as YS, bob hair is kinda suit her the most, regarding that long hair will need more maintenance, but YS is practically not in the position of having time to take care of long hair.
Her character, well i couldnt say much but i like her process becaming how she really is now. We all know how selfless and kindhearted she is, few scenes showed us she is familiar with the neighbourhood, give away free yoghurt to the needy and so on. Since 25 or something episode. She is finally thinking about her own sake, and although seems to be egocentric but this is true. If we dont put our happiness in the first place, if we are not happy ourselves, how can we make others happy? We cant give what we dont have. This happened in her relationship with DJ. When she realize this, she is happy and her actions to DJ is different. 
I really hope nooo break up between them two. Isn't it already a roller-coaster ride for them. I am nervous in measuring YS courage, will it last to the end or drained out by HGP/MHJ so that she will give up DJ because she couldnt stand DJ being hurt. Someone who knows the ending of the episode pls tell me! Lol

Lee Dong Jin
Saves the best for last! Lol. I loveee the way the writer set the strong character. He doesnt seems like questioning what he is doing (except when YS suddenly ask him whether he likes her or not) but thereafter, he is so firm, and really like the scene when MHJ meet him at the tailor shop to return the wedding ring. Omo~ he didnt waver a bit, i kinda proud of him that time. He draw a clear and bold line.
I really like how he respect other's will. He kept saying she likes YS but he wont force his will, ended by this sentence that will melt every girl's heart "although the answer may be not the one i want, it wont stop me from liking you and protecting you". Omo~~~~
In some point, i predict that LDJ had to make choice between Wolgyesu-YS or Meesa-MHJ. I really hope his firm character also will boldly choose the family business and the woman she loves. 
Am i the only one or anyone here also consider this? Lee Dong Gun is more charming when he is older? He is wayyy more charming than he is in Sweet 18/Sweet daddy yul/Marry him if you dare.
His sweet gaze and gestures to YS meltsss me away. Perfect actor as DS, couldnt imagine anyone else playing this role! Major-crush...

I think i'm having a flight of ideas. Thank you for reading and i would like to know if any of you also feels the same way!

11 hours ago, natkat said:

DJ/YS couple at the wedding!

So cute! DJ's expression in the left image reminds me of a little boy dressed in a tux. @valzki & @Lmangla One thing that wasn't predictable about the couple is how cheesy DJ can get. Who would have imagined the DJ from the beginning of the drama would do all this aeygo?

On 2016-12-11 at 10:57 PM, bajing said:

Lastly, one thing that I appreciate about this drama is its ability to combine levity, angst and pathos.  It seems to know the correct dose of those in each episode. None of the angst so far felt unnecessary, which for a mid of 50-ish drama is quite a feat. Most of its levity is straight out funny or sweet or both.

4 hours ago, bajing said:

One thing that i notice from years of watching kdrama, koreans seem to love explosive/passionate kind of chemistry. Which is probably why wrist grab is a trope that may never die in dramaland, heh. Our main couple is almost an anti-thesis of this. This is probably the first kdrama where I see an alpha male who is so excellent at respecting boundaries and constantly appreciative and caring of his partner's feeling. This fascinates me because it's quite a rare animal in dramaland.

@bajing I love how you describe the drama and the couple. It just perfectly describes how I feel. Hope the couple will be antithetical until the end, including no noble-idiotic breakup, or else the character development achieved so far will be in vain.

2 hours ago, delphinium8593 said:

In some point, i predict that LDJ had to make choice between Wolgyesu-YS or Meesa-MHJ. I really hope his firm character also will boldly choose the family business and the woman she loves. 
Am i the only one or anyone here also consider this? Lee Dong Gun is more charming when he is older? He is wayyy more charming than he is in Sweet 18/Sweet daddy yul/Marry him if you dare.
His sweet gaze and gestures to YS meltsss me away. Perfect actor as DS, couldnt imagine anyone else playing this role! Major-crush...

@delphinium8593 Yes, agree! I'm going to sound like a recruiter/solicitor, but since some of us are working to revive LDG's discussion thread, please drop by if you have the chance.

25 minutes ago, pinkdicentra said:

@bajing I love how you describe the drama and the couple. It just perfectly describes how I feel. Hope the couple will be antithetical until the end, including no noble-idiotic breakup, or else the character development achieved so far will be in vain.

I absolutely agree! the description from @bajing is so beatiful i even cited it on my Path account. Yes i hope there will be nooo noble-idiotic breakup please :bawling:

25 minutes ago, pinkdicentra said:

@delphinium8593 Yes, agree! I'm going to sound like a recruiter/solicitor, but since some of us are working to revive LDG's discussion thread, please drop by if you have the chance.

Of course i would like to drop by would you please insert the link also? i tried to look up in the forum but found nothing. Thank you so much!

3 hours ago, delphinium8593 said:

@delphinium8593: Oh....I really like what you write here. Cannot agree more for most of it. Here's my take for each character.

LMS:  one of my fave granpa Shin Gu was one of the reason that I tried this drama in the first place, so obviously I am biased, haha. But, I love how wise his character is. I was very touched when he advised DJ that those that're achieved thru difficulties are the true achievements. I hope he will become the greatest ally for DJ-YS just like how he is for SJ-DS. Also, I love how sweet his relationship with his wife is. I guess DJ gets his corniness from his dad, lol.

CGJ:  I like DJ's mom more in earlier episodes than these recent ones. One thing that started to bother me is that she seems to care a tad bit too much about background and class. This is almost like a blindspot for her. I can understand that she wants her children to marry well, but it baffled me when she just hand-waived Mr. Park uncouth behaviors and the fact how noone around her really liked him. I attribute this to the fact that Mr. Park is rich. When she vehemently expressed her distaste at the thought of YS as her DIL, I am starting to fear that it further confirms the blindspot that I see in her. Of course there's a chance that she was against DJ-YS for fear that HGP will hurt her son. But her saying that she wants to get someone nice for YS before HGP gets out, but completely against taking her for a DIL, seems to confirm more of the former. So I am starting to dread what will happen to my couple when the cat is out of the bag. I hope she wont cause too much heartache for them *praying fervently for my couple*

SJ or STP or Leather Jacket: CWY was another reason why I even checked this drama, but good Lord, his character initially was too unbearable to me. He's almost like a pest. But thankfully overtime he becomes one of my favorite. The complete turning point, after slowly warming up to his character, was when he has his hair cut. I was surprised how it made me tear up a lil bit. Like you, @delphinium8593, I love how he treats DS and her daughter, in particular the family bonding that happened in the last ep. It was very sweet of him to care about DJ.

MHW: I'll be honest. My feelings towards HW is relatively mixed. I like her best when she's thoughtful and showing a surprising maturity, like when she told TY to love himself because he's special or her talk with madam Ok about her wanting to marry someone who can see her for who she is. I like her least when she sort of using her power as TY's superior to ingratiate her affection on him. Given the power dynamic, the way she behaved towards TY made me uncomfortable. I almost gave up on her when she planted that kiss on TY, a guy who was  clearly not interested in her and has said so. This kind of uninvited/"forced" kiss is one of those tropes in kdrama that I wish will just stop. It's just No, No, No. I know that their relationship is often played for the humor, but I have to admit that one of the reason why I sighed in relief when TY finally confessed is because I want to see their relationship moving beyond these seemingly teenage-like crush. Probably I am too old for this kind of hormonal attraction, haha. So I wish her character the best. Hopefully we can see her mature as a person more.

KTY: he is a quissential of boy next door, with sweet charms and pretty smile. Like YS, life has not been so kind to him. Because his romance is not exactly my cup of tea (I enjoy the hilarity but it never really held my heart), my favorite relationships of his are his bromance with the other three guys and his friendship with YS. The moment he offered to whiz YS away from her wedding, I fell in love with him and his sibling-esque relationship with YS. I hope the fact that YS is dating HW's ex-bro in law wont have any effects on his friendship with YS. I also hope he can finally get a good proper job. The poor guy deserves it so so much.

BSD + BSN: these two are those two characters that I also have mixed feelings about. There are times when I wonder why they stayed married. There are times when I want to smack SD for his selfishness or want to shake SN for her unnecessary aggressiveness. But moments like when they danced under street light or just being normal petty husband and wife made me forgive their "transgression", lol. They may never be my fave couple, but weirdly I still want them to have a happy ending. Thus, last episode almost made me want to scream when I see SD prettying himself up for his first love. Dont you dare, SD!

NSY: I am sure it's no secret that I like YS. Despite my initial meh-ness towards his character, I think she's one that has grown the most on me through flashbacks and character development. i wont repeat what I have said before, but one thing that I like about her is how she can be such a straightshooter. She surprised me over and over when she rose through the occassion and said her piece without faltering. Just like how she directly asked whether DJ likes her or asked him why he met his ex eventhough he said he likes her. That's such a delightful and surprising aspect of her character. @delphinium8593, let me pray with you for wishing no breaking up will happen to this couple. I hope dramagod will listen to us.

LDJ: It's also no secret that I adore DJ. Kdrama needs to create more of this kind of hero. One thing that I appreciate about his character is that he's always been a decent guy since the get go. It was his circumstances that made him become seemingly cold. But despite all that, he was mostly reasonable (like how he reminded HJ that her step family is still their family) and never been unnecessarily cruel towards people. His dislike towards YS took an ugly turn only after he misunderstood her due to handbag incident. Before that, although he was not necessarily super kind towards her, he was not super mean either. Like how he offered to drive her to seoul after delivering the suit because of the news of torrential rain. I love how he likes YS as a human being first before getting attracted to her as a woman. Probably because I am no believer of love at first sight, this kind of budding friendship turns into romance suits more my taste. 

Phew, that's all for now. We have two more days before new ep come. It's so nice to be able to commiserate with all of you. It makes the pain of waiting to be less severe, heh. 

Archived