[Taiwanese Drama 2016] Refresh Man 後菜鳥的燦爛時代

sugarplum892

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest moo1304

today's episode is boring..

i lost the hype now.. :(

and they sent JY to singapore, is she shooting another drama?so they lessen her screen time?

for next ep, MeiMei will face another problem... 

11 minutes ago, moo1304 said:

and they sent JY to singapore, is she shooting another drama?so they lessen her screen time?

why? was it really boring? :mellow:

who is JY?

2 hours ago, moo1304 said:

Narratively speaking, it makes sense. As a character, JY is the one with the most to lose from these bets between ST1 and ST3 since the more threat there is to her job, the more likely her son's father can take their son away from her. I can't understand the conversations so I have no idea if anything has been resolved with that yet...

By sending her to Singapore Wen Kai is killing two birds with one stone. Bird one: He's allowing JY to be a separate entity from ST3; so that if they can't get the numbers and are fired, she isn't included in that. Bird 2: By sending her to Singapore though, he's also opening up a new market for Mei Mei to enter. ST3 will now have someone working in a Singapore office, so they can collaborate and potentially bring in that market. It expands the customer base for Mei Mei so if they can achieve the same kind of hype about it in Singapore, they might hit their goals and not be disbanded. I think it's actually a really smart move on WK's part. 

I've watched the raw now and agree that it's a bit slow, granted I can't understand any of the conversations. However, I think that they're using this episode to start setting up for the next big conflict; the one that will carry us through to the finale. Hopefully the actual conflict itself will be introduced soon. Heck, the conflict may even be that ST3 gets disbanded and YT/WK end up working for competing companies. I don't know. I'd need to watch with subs to see what I can get from all the conversations...

Posting for the first time as it's a been a while since I'm actually following a drama 'live'. Usually prefer to wait till they finish airing before binge watching but got sucked in and now I'm stuck. :sweatingbullets:

Have a basic understanding of Mandarin so here's a rundown:

Sales team 3 (S3) encounter Wen Kai (WK) and Yu Tang (YT) separately at the park and despite attempts by the team leader to help the couple throw the rest off, S3 sees the couple sharing an ice cream and aww like kindergartens. They move to a cafe where S3 try to get the full story out of the couple. Jiayi (JY) enters with pram in tow after her nanny drops off her kid at the cafe. WK & YT don't know how to start explaining so the team leader (Meng) explain about her fortune teller neighbour and how he had predicted that they would kiss. This sets off a cute exchange where YT protests and clarifies that they didn't kiss that day. The rest start teasing and asking for more information. WK explains that they have known each other since high school and though YT sometimes made things difficult for him, they had their sweet moments and since then, he has never been attracted to another woman (cue flashbacks and another round of awws).    

YT change the subject to ask abt JY's kid and the rest of S3 find out that JY's ex had tried to gain custody of their child. There is another string of events here where we find out that JY and her ex now seem to be on good terms and that he wants to be a good father to their kid. The rest caution that if he had tried to gain full custody before, his friendliness now might be a ploy to try it again. JY dismisses their concerns and reiterates that things are good now. She subsequently send him a photo of her and their kid via text as he texted that he missed the kid. Another thing we learn through a phone call btwn Ai Sha (AS) and WK is there is some progress on some company deal and AS updates that the other party has offered good terms. WK tells her to manage things. [Not too sure of the details here but I'm sure it's all some set up]

After S3 leaves, YT and WK have that 'shld we be open abt our relationship' conversation again with YT wanting to keep things low profile. WK agrees to go along with her wishes. They stroll along, he buys her a small rose plant and there is some mushy conversation about it being a symbol of their love and that she has to care for it and help it bud like she guards their relationship. [All just fluffy stuff]. We find out that roses are YT's mom's favourite flowers. [Mentally file that away for possible recurrence].

Next day, insert cute scene where WK carries YT's bag for her, they split up to enter the office separately but forget that WK is still holding on to YT's handbag. In the meantime Zi Yu (ZY) texts YT that he's back and he wants to continue their interrupted conversation. When YT queries about what it was about [really girl, you can't remember?], ZY replies that he likes her and wants to finish his confession in person. [This boy is direct!] WK returns with YT's handbag and finds out abt ZY's message and suggest they meet today since ZY is coming to their office for a meeting. WK suggests that YT puts the hair tie he gifted her on her wrist. [Sly boy, using this hair tie thing like a collar to mark his territory]

ZY meets up with S1, WK and AS. He's promoting a new product and S1 is impressed. WK congratulates ZY for his promotion to director of research to which ZY is surprised that WK knows. ZY then launches into this spiel about how he has always prided himself on proving his own capabilities and not riding on his father's coat tails. He also includes several pointed remarks about how he always goes for what he wants and he and WK share pointed looks at each other. 

WK and AS have an exchange about work where she updates him on some work progress and some possible moles in the office . WK shows AS that he knew abt ZY's promotion through instagram and that many members of the upper management in ZY's company were retiring soon.

ZY and YT meet up,  ZY confesses but as YT is trying to down him down lightly, catches on that she is now with WK. He noticed the hair tie which is now holding up her hair. He wishes them well but told her that he will be there for her should they not work out and that he would deal with WK if he makes YT upset [Some more set up I'm sure for the main drama conflict]. ZY asks YT to help him out as a friend to pick out some health supplements for another director in his company who is retiring. 

[I'm getting tired]

Cue work related drama and conflict. S1 and S3 are called in for a meeting with WK. S3 pull out their latest sale nos and they are at 200+M which puts them at a favourable position to win the 350M bet. However in a corridor exchange between S1 and S3, the S1 team leader points out that their sales have plateaued and that they were being prematurely happy and amateur not to have seen and managed that. At the meeting with WK, AS whips out video evidence from the CCTV at S3's office that one of the S1's team members had gone to their office to look for info, stumbling across a fax/print out stating the promotional offer S3 were offering their clients. WK points out that this was a serious breach of confidentiality. That poor guy is thrown under the bus by the S1 team leader and is chased out of the meeting. WK gives S1 a 2nd chance and asks them to do well to sell the products under their portfolio. He later explains when S1 isn't there, that it was in the company's interests at this point to keep the S1 leader. He also tells S3 that they only have a bit more time and 350M is not an easy figure.

S3 are back at their office and are brainstorming how they can improve nos considering they have already entered all the possible local markets. We find out that WK had earlier offered JY an opportunity to represent the company at an exhibition in Singapore and subsequently try and establish opportunities in Singapore to sell Mei Mei. JY tells the team that her ex just so happens to have also been transferred to Singapore and that this made it easier for her to take up this opportunity. She will be leaving after work the next day, taking the same flight with her ex and bringing along their child. S3 is concerned and the flirty guy whose name I cannot remember, asks her to call him if she needs anything [More story set up].

YT and AS meet for dinner where AS advises that while YT can go out with friends like ZY, she should make time for their budding relationship. We find out that YT is on leave the next morning and asks WK to accompany her somewhere. 

YT and WK are at her mom's grave to commemorate her mom's birthday. Tears and emotions all around with promises to care for each other. They later go to this alternative location where we find out through a flashback that it was where YT saw her mom on the ground with a crowd of concerns passersby around her. WK almost mentions that her mom was on her way to get something to make his lunch that day but YT changes the subject before he says anything [A very strong indication that this is going to be a problem in the future]. YT asks WK why he suddenly disappeared 10 yrs ago...

-end ep-

Hope the above will tide you guys over till the proper subs are out and sry for any inaccuracies! Can't remember the preview at this moment but will add that in when I get the chance to watch it again. It's something abt the workers from the main factory that manufactures Mei Mei, going on strike and no other factory will take on their orders. Something seems fishy and reeks of S1 interference. There is also something in the preview just after the episode ends (not the one on the FB page) where AS and ZY are talking in a cafe/bar but I don't remember the dialogue. 

@oreocinn Thanks for the recap for us non-Mandarin speakers!

Looks like some of my guesses were correct about the Singapore Mei Mei setup and how this episode is just setting up for the main conflict to come. I don't trust JY's ex but it's a good setup for getting JY/Romeo together when something inevitably goes wrong while she's in Singapore. 

As for WK, the longer he takes to tell YT about her mom going out to get stuff for him the worse the fallout is going to be. I was relieved this episode when I realized that he was about to tell her but then she interrupted him. :vicx: I hoped he would come clean sooner but I knew deep down that this would be one of the root causes of conflict between the leads so I can't say I'm surprised. 

I probably won't be re-watching this one raw like I did with the previous two but I can't wait to see it with subs! :D

4 hours ago, moo1304 said:

Ya'll just want more skin interaction. heheheteeehehe. 

With T-dramas, normally after ep 12 or so it will drag.. nothing else new to add. :)

1 hour ago, thunderman1 said:

Ya'll just want more skin interaction. heheheteeehehe. 

With T-dramas, normally after ep 12 or so it will drag.. nothing else new to add. :)

I don't want new skin interaction...ıf I see one more in a few next episode I will say pehhh.... :crazy: I want deep storyline with exciting developments and I want some drama! not more lovey dovey scenes until big finale!...even until now I hope ıt is a passionate revenge story but all my hopes gone with this two love birds who is so positive about each other...:wub:

but I still have hopes... there is still some drama left..at least they still in a "I like you" level...

20 hours ago, moo1304 said:

I agree with you. It was a Little slow. I am missing the funny interaction that they used to have. For me there are some scenes that last more than 5 minutes making it slow and boring. I like lovey dove scenes but funny. I think the writer need to make this more interesting taking in account that the drama is aired once a week.
I have seen dramas were the couple stay together since the middle of the drama for example: OH MY VENNUS. They can’t lost the opportunity to make this drama unforgettable. In my opinion the main couple need to trust each other and face toguether every sad moment. WK need to tell her about her Mon, and explain her why he disappeared 10 years ago without a word. We need  more hot (not sex) and dynamic moments, they need action. About AS I am  waiting a story for her, instead wasting time with boring scenes. 
This is my humble opinion.
:sweatingbullets:

4 hours ago, camichi said:

About AS I am  waiting a story for her, instead wasting time with boring scenes.

I think they're starting to set up AS with ZY starting next week since they're shown together in the preview. We'll have to wait and see though. 

@moo1304 said:-

i lost the hype now.. :(

IKR!? I thought I was the only one feeling that way... It's like ever since Wen Kai & Yu Tang hooked up their storyline has spiralled downward somewhat:( I actually think it was better when they were bickering & stuff. It wasn't even this bad when Aaron was paired with Tia Li or with Puff:huh: I'm not sure if it's because the writers are concentrating on too much side storylines. 

I'm sorry to say this but I don't feel much chemistry btween AAron Yan and his partner. Anyway, since I have been watching all dramas of Aaron regardless of who his partner is, I still watch this drama until the end.  

1 hour ago, raewonkim said:

I'm sorry to say this but I don't feel much chemistry btween AAron Yan and his partner. Anyway, since I have been watching all dramas of Aaron regardless of who his partner is, I still watch this drama until the end.  

of course ıts your opinion but I think they have the best chemistry. even they called as "taiwan's most suited main drama leads". they are in everywhere together bc people fell in love to them. at drama they carry each other so well and not over acting. ..of course their real life friendship is helping them to find that onscreen chemistry.

After seeing the new preview I don t know why the same dialogue ¡I won’t leave you ¡ ¡I will take care about you forever¡ OMG… it gives me a bad sensation.  I am going to suffer for the next six episodes till the end.  ohhhhhhh .:dissapointed_relieved::flushed::heart:

Just saw on Viki that for some reason, Refresh Man total number of episodes will be 17 and not 20. Did the network cut down on the episodes? Or was it only 17 all along? Seems like an odd number to end on.

@whome Whaaaa? Did they change the end date posted too? Last I saw, it still said mid-July which puts us at 20 eps. Ending the same weekend as Back to 1989 and Love at 17. Maybe it's just a mis-type from when they last updated the page?

Archived