[Drama 2016] The Royal Gambler 대박

Go Seung Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Jackpot' Jang Geun-seok turns his back on Lim Ji-yeon

Spoiler

photo714531.jpg

On the episode 7 of SBS' Monday & Tuesday drama, "Jackpot", Prince Yeonying (Yeo Jin-goo) as a prince of the nation punished Lee In-jwa (Jeon Kwang-ryeol) and Baek Dae-gil (Jang Geun-seok) for gambling in a gambling parlor.

Dam-seo (Lim Ji-yeon) took Dae-gil out of the room quickly. Dam-seo tried to wipe the blood oozing out of the wounds on Dae-gil's body with her handkerchief, Dae-gil shook off her hands.

Dae-gil told Dam-seo, "As far as you continue to serve my father and the brute, you're just one of them".

Baek Dae-gil was firm with his decision. He said, "I cancel my words that I would make you my bride". And then he turned around.

Baek Dae-gil said, "Even if I'd die or you'd aim the sword at me, I won't give up. I'm going to confront Lee In-jwa one hundred times and one thousand times again and again". Dam-seo looked at Dae-gil sadly.

Watch on Viki

http://www.hancinema.net/spoiler-jackpot-jang-geun-seok-turns-his-back-on-lim-ji-yeon-93585.html

5 hours ago, smhelen said:

I hope he romances the slave girl as opposed to that rigid actress female lead. Don't slay me but her acting is killing any endearment I have for her character. :angry:

I HOPE TO SEE HER AGAIN TOO...DAMSEO CHARACTER IS COMPLEX...SHE WAS RAISED BY A MONSTER...TRAINED TO KILL THE KING ..THAT'S WHY IS SO COLD...I ALREADY NOTICED SOME CHANGES IN HER...SHE LOOKED HEARTBROKEN AFTER DAEGIL TURNED HIS BACK ON HER!I BET THAT INSIDE SHE IS A BURNING FIRE AT LEAST THAT 'S WHAT I HOPE FOR THIS DRAMA SAKE!

It seems Lee In-jwa is the best gambler of Joseon...he also won against Daegil adoptive grandfather years ago...i hope to see him starting to lose the battles one by one ...i loved today episode Daegil went back to save the slaves...the people also stand for him came back to save him...Daegil was able to start a revolt...a true leader!!!

3 hours ago, andy78 said:

I HOPE TO SEE HER AGAIN TOO...DAMSEO CHARACTER IS COMPLEX...SHE WAS RAISED BY A MONSTER...TRAINED TO KILL THE KING ..THAT'S WHY IS SO COLD...I ALREADY NOTICED SOME CHANGES IN HER...SHE LOOKED HEARTBROKEN AFTER DAEGIL TURNED HIS BACK ON HER!I BET THAT INSIDE SHE IS A BURNING FIRE AT LEAST THAT 'S WHAT I HOPE FOR THIS DRAMA SAKE!

@andy78  I think him doing that and being the king's son is the tip of the iceberg for her to try and do it.. Then I think once she finds out just what was going on there will change her mind and understand why he went back there remember she was never really any help to him she just oppose him when it comes to her good teacher.. Mr I do no wrong and tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth..

6 minutes ago, jkseel said:

I am not sure what viki is - but Drama fever has Episode 7 up with eng subs just now...

Thanks for the heads up @jkseel I found ep 7 of monster already sub and the lawyer drama.. I appreciate all viki do but they have been slow..

2 hours ago, valsava said:

Thanks for the heads up @jkseel I found ep 7 of monster already sub and the lawyer drama.. I appreciate all viki do but they have been slow..

Hi there - I just did a google search on viki - and I guess viki is affiliated with this wonderful forum....and I did a rapid comparison of subtitles for DramaFever and for Viki...Drama Fever seems to get their subs 630-7pm EST in the US - which is like 9 hours after it airs in Korea...plus it is in HD if you are a subscriber...I guess it would be the same HD  if you were a viki subscriber...

on the other hand - I came across the viki subs - and they subbed the "song"!!  that was playing as Dae Gil and SeoRim were walking out of the fire and burning Salt Mine barracks where they were formerly housed...and the music subbing - made me go ""whoa!!!"  - The song lyrics were something like ..."I can't forget you" or something - from the one time I rapidly saw it....

I mean suddenly - it really added a romantic dimension even more ....but I kept on wondering - Exactly WHO  was thinking those thoughts? Daegil or the woman??

The song is sung by the woman, but when she/SeoRIm says "let's be sure to meet again" DaeGil does not say anything, but bows his head  shyly (people on this forum) - what did his smile mean?? - was it a shy smile? - or was it an embarrassed smile or was it a gentle "not interested in you" smile???

I need to know!!!

I would love your feedback!!

11 hours ago, andy78 said:

.LADY CHOI ASKED AN OFFICER ABOUT THAT MONSTER AND BAEK MG...LEARNED HE WAS KILLED AND HIS SON WANTS REVENGE ...HEARS HER SON NAME...

1)   Wow - I almost cried with her when Lady Choi realized her son - DaeGil was alive.... I would love to see a mother-child reuninon...Lady Choi was trying to keep a straight face with the guard...but she couldn't help speaking to herself that he was alive....

2) The fact that Seol im can read the Chinese characters -as she was going over the slave contracts - implies that she had some sort of schooling - because girls especially - were not taught the Kanji...so I don't know whether it was a cinematic error - or whether the fact that she is learned/educated....will be very significant in the future....

Annyeong everyone :)

Wow Daebak is getting very interesting especially JGS' acting. I missed him very much when he was promoting his music. Now he's back, that's why I must watch this drama. Yesterday my connection was bad, I'm only able to connect half way but then screen froze every now and then,

Luckily we have @andy78 for live recaps @sunny2014 for live screencaps and videos @Misstwilightfan1416 for video cuts and preview. Gomawo chingu and saranghae.

Oh yes, is it Daegil know he's the son of the King?  I'm referring to Dae-gil told Dam-seo, "As far as you continue to serve my father and the brute, you're just one of them".

Episode 8

CeDSFIjUAAEyere.jpg

This character Hwang Jin Gi (황진기, 黃鎭紀 ) is introduce in this episode where Yi In Jwa would like to employed his service via the recommendation of the Gibang Mistress cum shaman

This character also appears in the Warrior Baek Dong Soo

0719_220221_CH6-1_HD__%BF%F9%C8%AD%B5%E5

Hwang Jin Gi (황진기, 黃鎭紀 ) in Warrior Baek Dong Soo

@jkseel

" The fact that Seol im can read the Chinese characters -as she was going over the slave contracts - implies that she had some sort of schooling - because girls especially - were not taught the Kanji...so I don't know whether it was a cinematic error - or whether the fact that she is learned/educated....will be very significant in the future.... "

The fact that Seol Im have a surname which is Hye ( , ) means she was not originally a slave but force to be one perhaps due to bad debts

In Korea it will be the "hanja" (한자, 漢字 Chinese characters) & not Kanji (Japanese for Chinese characters)

[HanCinema's Drama Review] "Jackpot" Episode 7

photo715084.jpg

"Jackpot" has calmed in its erratic plot flailings and settled into a steadier pace, which was very welcome. It came it a 9.1%, higher than the last episode, but still behind its Monday competitors. The calmer pacing allowed for the actors to step out of the texture and show their abilities, especially Jang Geun-seok.

What strengthened the episode was the parallels that it made between the two brothers, both keen and driven, but lacking in the skills to overcome their mutual enemy, Lee In-jwa. Yeoning uses his position in the Inspector General's office to try and bring In-jwa down, but is foiled by his impulsivity and lack of social/political backing. Dae-gil is also stymied by his impetuous decisions and his lack of physical prowess. What both brothers lack, In-jwa has in abundance. This set-up is actually quite clever, but I utterly despite how In-jwa seems to be an almost god-like villain. His weaknesses are currently invisible and he is the grand puppeteer behind all that is evil in "Jackpot" land. He is nearly omnipotent, engineering the brothers' future and possessing a knowledge and skill in everything he takes on. I'd like him to be fallible, or have a group of worthy co-conspirators to balance out each others' strengths and weaknesses.

In this episode we see Dae-gil use all of the ridiculous antics of yore as motivation to not only avenge his father's murder, but also to better himself and initiate change in the system that has oppressed him and others, like his fellow, brutalized salt farm slaves and impoverished, powerless citizens. The more exposed character beats allowed for Jang Geun-seok to finally show all of the colors in his acting palette, while Lim Ji-yeon is more limited. She needs some variation in facial expression and line delivery. A strong female in this drama is Kim Ga-eun-I as Dae-gil's fellow slave Seol-im who, according to promotional material, will come back as a gisaeng.

photo715085.jpg

Plotwise, the drama would've benefited from avoiding all the unnecessary challenges of Dae-gil's luck and focusing more on the dire straights of the poor and enslaved, like Dae-gil. That would've allowed for better development of Seol-im's character, of his adoptive grandfather's character, and of how Dae-gil grew up and the difficulties found in a life without power or money. His luckiness could've manifested in many situations within those confines.

Turning to his brother, Yeoning, Yeo Jin-goo powerfully portrays him as a brilliant prince with few connections, as the son of a concubine, and the victim of his lack of experience and time-bought wisdom. Watching the drama parallel his path with his brothers builds wonderful anticipation for their partnership or declaration as enemies. Before that happens, Dae-gil needs to be trained by the very convenient master warrior he stumbled upon in the woods. Bring it on!

photo715083.jpg

What did you think of this episode, HanCinema readers? Did the slower pace suit your tastes? Or do you miss the action-packed episodes from last week?

Written by: Raine from 'Raine's Dichotomy'

http://www.hancinema.net/hancinema-s-drama-review-jackpot-episode-7-93622.html

대박 8회

“주상전하를 알현케 해주십시오.”

은밀하게 조일수와 접촉한 이인좌는 뇌물을 건네며 의금부에 갇혀 있는 황진기를 꺼내달라고 부탁한다. 옥살이 동안 노모의 장례식을 대신 치뤄준 이인좌를 알아본 황진기. 이인좌는 황진기에게 김체건의 목을 베어 오라고 하는데...한편, 숙종을 향한 원한이 극에 달한 담서는 연잉군의 도움을 받아 궐 안에 들어가는데...

i really hope  @gerrytan8063 will have time and translate it later...

Thanks for the new character description @gerrytan8063 !

4 hours ago, jkseel said:

Hi there - I just did a google search on viki - and I guess viki is affiliated with this wonderful forum....and I did a rapid comparison of subtitles for DramaFever and for Viki...Drama Fever seems to get their subs 630-7pm EST in the US - which is like 9 hours after it airs in Korea...plus it is in HD if you are a subscriber...I guess it would be the same HD  if you were a viki subscriber...

on the other hand - I came across the viki subs - and they subbed the "song"!!  that was playing as Dae Gil and SeoRim were walking out of the fire and burning Salt Mine barracks where they were formerly housed...and the music subbing - made me go ""whoa!!!"  - The song lyrics were something like ..."I can't forget you" or something - from the one time I rapidly saw it....

I mean suddenly - it really added a romantic dimension even more ....but I kept on wondering - Exactly WHO  was thinking those thoughts? Daegil or the woman??

The song is sung by the woman, but when she/SeoRIm says "let's be sure to meet again" DaeGil does not say anything, but bows his head  shyly (people on this forum) - what did his smile mean?? - was it a shy smile? - or was it an embarrassed smile or was it a gentle "not interested in you" smile???

I need to know!!!

I would love your feedback!!

@jkseel  I think the smile means trhey will meet again.. Well off to watch this episode sub and give my thoughts to it

1 hour ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@jkseel

" The fact that Seol im can read the Chinese characters -as she was going over the slave contracts - implies that she had some sort of schooling - because girls especially - were not taught the Kanji...so I don't know whether it was a cinematic error - or whether the fact that she is learned/educated....will be very significant in the future.... "

The fact that Seol Im have a surname which is Hye ( , ) means she was not originally a slave but force to be one perhaps due to bad debts

In Korea it will be the "hanja" (한자, 漢字 Chinese characters) & not Kanji (Japanese for Chinese characters)

@gerrytan8063  Maybe her dad was scammed.. I'm wondering at this point do her coming back as a gaseng has something to with the owner forcing himself on her.. I think she could have been of noble background.. Maybe her being there and what happen to her family is also connected to the monster..

23 minutes ago, valsava said:

@jkseel  I think the smile means trhey will meet again.. Well off to watch this episode sub and give my thoughts to it

@gerrytan8063  Maybe her dad was scammed.. I'm wondering at this point do her coming back as a gaseng has something to with the owner forcing himself on her.. I think she could have been of noble background.. Maybe her being there and what happen to her family is also connected to the monster..

She talked about the gambler that ruined her familly!!!She wants to find and   kill that gambler!I think is the MONSTER too!It seems that Daegil teacher wants to kill the king!!!So was not sent by the king to protect his son!Maybe will get the royal comand later and become Daegil bodyguard  that defendeded him on ep 1 first scenes!

Archived