Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

6 minutes ago, kepogee said:

Thanks for this @__jesse you made a very good argument about this! But I was just wondering why would DS give SW chocolate twice? One in ep2 and the other one in ep4 where she left it in the studyroom.

In ep 4, DS gave SW candy stuck onto a cassette tape with the song, "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" and her accompanying note read "I can't give you anything but candy". I thought it was interesting that both "chocolate" and "candy" appeared in the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You".

I Just Called to Say I Love You – Stevie Wonder 
No New Year's Day to celebrate
No chocolate covered candy hearts to give away
No first of spring
No song to sing
In fact here's just another ordinary day

I just called to say I love you
I just called to say how much I care
And I mean it from the bottom of my heart

DS gave SW chocolate and candy to express her love. But Taek wasn't planning on doing that. He was going to do it his way - maybe a love confession over the phone?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, __jesse said:

In ep 4, DS gave SW candy stuck onto a cassette tape with the song, "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" and her accompanying note read "I can't give you anything but candy". I thought it was interesting that both "chocolate" and "candy" appeared in the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You".

No first of spring
No song to sing

DS gave SW chocolate and candy to express her love. But Taek wasn't planning on doing that. He was going to do it his way - maybe a love confession over the phone?

Ahhh, it was candy! i thought it was chocolate. LMAO. Thanks for clarifying that.

• Like 1

im just loving all the obvious shipping from TVN channel with their english title lol

new mv

all character fmv

eng sub of Lee Sung Hwan song

i think i have collect around 5gb of their fanvid only lol

Edited by salz
  • Like 16

6 hours ago, IsabelinaD said:

Omo @13infamyss You rock!!!!

Kanshamida!!!

A gift for you.... (look at her arm) ♥♥:wub:

cto

Sorry to cut the picture of how the triangle played out. JH hugs DS, DS hugs CT.

Hyeri is careful not to color coordiante with anyone. No color theory here.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, __jesse said:

No first of spring
No song to sing

Hmmmm..but will it be contrast to DS personality? If she does gave the chocs to SW and don't received any response, I don't think she will give again the candy? She don't have that confidence to do it or be rejected twice... She might felt rejected in the first place already is it right? and at that time she always want a confirmation right? ^__^

• Like 5

3 hours ago, kepogee said:

@fangurling123

In ep14, when taek and sunwoo were about to sleep, SW asked him why he likes DS and he said "... When she smiles, I feel like i could die" Was there lost in translation or that was correct?

Sorry to cut off the other parts of your post! But in my opinion, what Taek actually said was '없으면... 죽을수도있어' which meant 'I think I would die without her.' :) 

• Like 9

12 hours ago, rynn_peace said:

As request from @mangachickava here is the translation of DeokSun's diary

cr: Reply 1988 DC Gallery

I hope I grow into a cool woman in this society.

It will be good if I have a lot of courage, cool headed, and calmness. (True?) love too.

Who am I? Do I want to be a sky?

The light crushes the darkness and brightens everything.

The light even brightens the darkness.

The darkness covers the light and makes everything become dark.

It’s ridiculous act and impossible to get rid the light with light.

The light breaks the darkness and only the darkness that can break the light.

Today I have a bad mood. It becomes a day when I hate myself.

Why can’t I endure just a little bit longer? I’m still feeling regret.

While I’m resolving this day I should know the way to be patient and endure the pain.

Why when I’m aware of my pain, I can’t feel other people’s pain.

I think seriously that I have to become a person who persevere and endure even if the untoward events start to happen.

The time when everything covered with black clothes.

There are a lot of lonely times.

My heart that lean toward you seems can’t rest.

It's said that it’s expression of love.

So, today I gathered up my courage and gave you a chocolate.

I ate pizza at Taek’s room. We talked about the first snowfall.

Seon Woo said he likes someone but can’t confess to her.

So I said to him to confess when the first snow come.

I’m really trembling. It seems finally the moment of confession will come soon.

I’m in agony if I have to ask Seon Woo and make confession.

I can’t sleep well. Seon Woo too feels the same with me, doesn’t he.

First snow came. The worst day in my life.

They said if we confess on the day when the first snow come the chance of success is 90%.

For my confession to Seon Woo, I wrote the postcard to “Starry Night”. How long I wait for this day.

In the end, all my love flew away one by one like first snow in the sky. Did Seon Woo really know my heart?

No. Erase it. It’s maybe a lingering feeling... (It’s not seen ㅜㅜ)

My confession is 10%’s failure… (It’s not spring ㅠㅠ)

Where is the person who loves me? Will that person like that exist?

Tonight is lonely winter night.

Christmas is drawing near.

I make a plan to go to McDonald Apgujeong with ManOk and JoHyeon.

We don’t have boyfriend so we’ll hang out just the three of us.

Other people will go with their couple right?

But we have to play happily and not to be discouraged.

When will I have a boyfriend?

Awwwwww... Thanks for the translation.. ^^

Love it..

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moonkeeper said:

Hmmmm..but will it be contrast to DS personality? If she does gave the chocs to SW and don't received any response, I don't think she will give again the candy? She don't have that confidence to do it twice... She might felt rejected in the first place....and at this moment she always want a confirmation right..^__^

Actually I don't think DS was waiting for a response. She didn't sign off the candy note, so it would be tough for SW to figure out it was her and give her an appropriate response. DS gave away chocolate and candy to express her love, because "love needs to be expressed". But they didn't constitute as a confession, because she kept her identity anonymous, since "people like us should never confess first. If you confess, that's the end".

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, hojichas said:

Sorry to cut off the other parts of your post! But in my opinion, what Taek actually said was '없으면... 죽을수도있어' which meant 'I think I would die without her.' :) 

I would tend to agree with this.  I admit it's a bit unclear the way Bogummy says it, but I think the majority opinion is that he says without her, he could even die or when he's not with her, he could even die.  This also makes more sense given the context of the conversation:

"Why do like Duk Seon?  There are so many girls who like you, why Duk Seon?"

"I just like her.  When I'm with her, I'm just happy.  When I'm not, I think I could even die."

The above is more fitting to the context than:

"I just like her.  When I'm with her, I'm just happy.  When she smiles, I think I could even die."  

Taek's facial expression also supports the 1st interpretation over the second interpretation in my opinion.

Credit to original poster.

• Like 11

Delurking to answer you, @kepogee.

Question: Why would DS give SW chocolate twice?
Answer: She didn’t. She only gave him a candy with the audiotape of the song “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love”. She also attached a note with it, saying, “I can’t give you anything but candy”.  

Her note played on the lyrics of the song.

The lyrics: I can’t give you anything but love = I’m giving you love. Meaning, I can only give you love. [In the 1930’s Billie Holiday version of the song, she croons: I can’t give you anything but love because that’s the only thing I’ve got plenty of.]

DS’ note: I can’t give you anything but candy = I’m giving you candy. Meaning, I can only give you candy; nothing else. Don’t expect love. 

DS’ note was teasing. It was meant to tantalize him or to make him wonder what was going on. DS was being a girl after all. Aigooooo. Haven't you done this? I had. In middle school. I pranked more than a few boys on Valentine's Day and April Fool's Day. lol. 

Additionally, according to the translation of @rynn_peace[Thanks, girlfriend! Once again, I relied on your translation], DS was going to confess on the first snow day. She wrote the postcard to that Starry Night with the intent to confess.  “For my confession to Seon Woo, I wrote the postcard to “Starry Night”. How long I wait for this day.”

She didn’t confess to SW with chocolate. That chocolate was meant for TK. [How many times do I have to say this? lol. It’s frankly getting annoying now.] 

It’s totally ILLOGICAL for her to confess to SW twice in a span of 4 months. 

Had she given the chocolate to SW on Sept 24, 1988, then his LACK of RESPONSE meant he rejected her.  She wouldn’t be STUPID to open herself to a rejection and chase after him a second time with a “second” confession on a snow day. 

The reason she was confessing on the show with a postcard was because  SW was NOT an unrequited love like she thought her love for TK was. TK was the one who did NOT respond to her chocolate confession. She thought her love for TK was unrequited, one-sided. But with SW, she expected a guaranteed thing because SW said that he had been in love with a girl for the past two years. Remember that? 

DS was a girl with pride. She would have moved on like she did with TK after he didn’t respond to her chocolate confession and after he said “anniya”. She would have moved on like she did with JH and the pink shirt test. She would have moved on like she did with SW himself after she found out that he liked Bora. 

Don’t people get her CHARACTER at all? After all this time? :phew: 

Again, let me repeat myself: DS was a girl with pride. She valued her honesty, too. She absolutely hated it when people doubted her honesty. As @mangachickava has pointed out, in Episode 8, when her mom and Bora thought she took the money from her mom’s wallet, she was greatly distressed that they doubted her words, especially as she had claimed her innocence. She repeatedly defended herself because she knew she didn’t take the money. She resented being accused.  

Same thing with the chocolate. The reason she insisted about the chocolate with Taek in Episode 2 [Note the title: “The one thing you’re mistaken about me”] is because she was being honest. Just like she vehemently protested her mom’s and Bora’s accusations, she adamantly asserted that he was mistaken about her. She DID give it to him.  She was honest back then; she was honest again right now. 

Regarding the Stevie Wonder song --

Seriously, are you people trolling me? Hmmmmm.....

No.

A chocolate covered candy hearts is a candy shaped like a heart that has been dipped in chocolate. That’s why it’s called “chocolate-covered candy heart”.  It’s not TWO separate things – a candy heart AND a chocolate. It’s just ONE chocolate candy shaped like a heart. 

Here in the US, people give this on Valentine’s Day so they often come in heart-shaped boxes too. The popular ones for kids nowadays are by See’s candy. If you aren’t virtually diabetic, lol, see link here:

http://www.sees.com/valentines-day-gifts

Remember Forrest Gump's "Life is a box of chocolates" quote? I think those were  Whitman's Sampler chocolates. They, too, make chocolate-covered candy hearts. Also, Russell Stover candy makes chocolate-covered candy hearts. And Dove Candy. And Hershey's Candy....

Furthermore, the interpretation of this song is all wrong.  

This Stevie Wonder song is about man calling on an ordinary day to say that he loves the girl. There was no reason for him to call. And the singer lists the different occasions of the year when a guy will typically say I love you.

He says -- 

It isn’t New Year’s Day. It isn’t Valentine’s Day (the chocolate-covered candy hearts given on Valentine’s Day).  It isn’t the first day of spring, a day with April showers, or a May day when flowers bloom (there’s a saying here that April showers bring May flowers), or a June wedding day (because June is a wedding month), or a midsummer day (which is usually around June 24), or a day in mid-July, or a harvest moon in August, or a perfect fall day, or a day in late October to mid-November when the sun moves into the Libra constellation, or Halloween (October 31) or Christmas Day.

Those are the special days of the year but he was just calling on an ORDINARY DAY to say I love you.

So, what has this song got to do with the candy that DS gave to SW?

Nothing. 

Stevie Wonder was calling to say I love you on an ordinary day. On the other hand, DS just dropped by SW's study hall to tell him that she did NOT love him on an ordinary day. She only dropped by to give him a candy. lol.   

Please: Let’s not make things up that aren’t in the script. I wish I can also clear up the various misconceptions going around, especially about the pager. But I apologize that I don’t have time now. :(@nearsea have you explained this? Thanks. 

• Like 21

@hojichas @fangurling123 Woww, thank you for the clarification!!!!

That's an interesting line from taek, given he speaks so little, and when he says something out loud he usually means it. 

I think taekkie was hopelessly in love with deoksun, and for him to increase his dependency with sleeping pills to 3 pieces in a matter of 5 years at such a young age was troubling. 

HUHUHU good thing deoksun returned the love too, they were just looking for that timing. Each of them finding their own footing in this world first, and then they finally loved each other openly. 

This couple perfectly slays. 

• Like 7

On 2/1/2016 at 11:14 AM, nearsea said:

@lxands To me it seemed like pager theory may not work that way.There is a reason that they emphasized TK's face washing scene...it was him contemplating and doing calculations in his mind.The intention is very loud and clear. He's  forfeiting the game and going to save DS.His manager and gf are discussing DS's state of woe here,being stood up and still went ahead to watch the concert,the gf was puzzled why.And we know the actual situation with her.

Also we saw that scene when TK is in the foreground,scanning DS's impromptu dress up,and the slippers,so he must have figured out her situation,the fact that she was hesitating to confess that she's been stood up,and went along with her lie.There might not be any underlying meaning behind this part.

I think the pager was there to use as a plot device for DS's story.First she got the news from the date that he was not going to appear,and then at JH's car,she kept looking at the pager thinking TK must have left her a message,again in vain.

Also,pager was used for sunwoo-bora.I guess PD-shin giving us proof here that the color theories had been here all along,and that we were right about the colors lol.Purple pager-belongs to SW,which is bora,and Red to Bora,vice versa.There's no way that DR could have sent any text to TK,as he was with JH all that time,and they had to collect the tickets,and got into the theater to watch forrest gump.We did not even see any change in DR's face after seeing DS's date with another girl.He was not TK's confidante there.Lol,he does not even remember by this time I guess that TK used to like DS,there was never any mention from either sun woo/DR's side about TK's feelings after the time jump occurred.

I just lost a post on this. 

I decided it is because I am meant to post on the MT not the shippers thread, but I will post here anyway. LOL

I see a lot of what you see, I just think the conclusion come later with more information. But I do think your interpretation is as strong as mine.

All three men-boys noticed that DS is dress too casually for a concert date when she leaves out her gate. 

Taek however does a double take on her slippers and you can see he knows something isn't quite right. You see his calculation but he doesn't figure it out. He also see she in not only dress inappropriately, but also inadequately.

I however think Taek gets the information and make a decision to respond to DS being stood up after he leaves the bathroom at the Baduk center.

My reasoning is the pacing and the casualness of the conversation before Taek enters the room where his manager is.

Taek's manager and his girlfriend (DS's friend) are standing pretty casually when she ask where Taek is. The manager said he is in the bathroom. We cut to Taek thinking but not decided on anything I think. His pace is slow and deliberate and lacking in urgency.

His manager is casual. I agree with you that unlike what some people believe Taek hasn't cancelled the game as yet and is washing his face after making the decision. If Taek had cancelled I doubt that his manager would be so relax about an unprecedented occurance. The manager's girl friends tells him about DS date standing her up for his longtime girlfriend.  This is a surprise to the manager. His girlfriend tells him that DS went to the concert alone. This conversation is meant to clue the audience in to Taek's proximity/access to the information. The manager seems concerned about DS situation that he is hearing for the first time. 

Taek enters the room at the tail end of the conversation.  He is unhurried and deliberate. He does not know yet the specifics of DS situation. TAek is walking with his usually lumbering exhausted zombie Baduk pace. I agree that he was puzzling over situation in the bathroom, but he hadn't made a decision. 

When I contrast that pace with the desperate out of breath running he does to get to DS as soon as possible, it seems likely that he got the last bit of information he needed to make a decision to go to DS from his manager girlfriend.

When Taek makes a decision about DS he acts decisively, quickly, immediately whether it lift DS and run, forfiet a game and run to DS, or leap from his chair and kiss her for dear life.

• Like 17

On 1/31/2016 at 6:28 PM, fangurling123 said:

I think this is right.  This is a very cheeky drama and yes, not only does the drama poke fun at the cheesy Korean dramas, it's also making fun of the audience who expects to see those cheesy tropes every time.  What's more, it pokes even more fun at us, the audience, by actually giving us all those expected tropes, but in symbolic/metaphorical ways.  I bet the writer and the PD are having a good laugh at us right about now. LOL.

On a separate note, Taek gave DS the turtle as a symbol of his eternal love. His message behind that is quite profound.  I don't know, I kind of like that.  It's original and unique to him and shows he actually put in thought and consideration to his proposal, in a very unique Taek way.  I think that is endearing and adorable and much more special and romantic than a wedding ring that is so common and the "expected" thing. DS' expression in that proposal scene says the same thing - she thinks he's adorable.   Besides, think about how valuable that turtle was - it was solid 24k gold!

1. Winning shippers' reaction

picture-of-seinfeld-group-jumping-at-the

2. Sinking shipper's reaction

it-crowd-maurice-moss-frustration-fuck-t

3. PD and writer reaction

1126.gif
  • Like 21

58 minutes ago, fangurling123 said:

I would tend to agree with this.  I admit it's a bit unclear the way Bogummy says it, but I think the majority opinion is that he says without her, he could even die or when he's not with her, he could even die.  This also makes more sense given the context of the conversation:

"Why do like Duk Seon?  There are so many girls who like you, why Duk Seon?"

"I just like her.  When I'm with her, I'm just happy.  When I'm not, I think I could even die."

The above is more fitting to the context than:

"I just like her.  When I'm with her, I'm just happy.  When she smiles, I think I could even die."  

Taek's facial expression also supports the 1st interpretation over the second interpretation in my opinion.

Credit to original poster.

annyeong Chingus! i can understand a bit of Korean since I've taken a lesson of it. Anyway, TK clearly said: I just like her, I like it when I'm with her. Without her, i think I'd die." swoony TK;) but i like the reaction of SW! he laughed so hard because TK got it bad, he's too in love! lol! that's why he told him, come to your senses Choi TK! hahahah i like their bromance;)

• Like 14

@packmule3 Thank you for that very detailed explanation about the candy, you make a good point about it would be weird for DS to confess twice. However just wondering if the candy was her first confession, why do you think she didn't leave her name behind?

----

EDIT: Sorry I misunderstood this. DS didn't confess with the candy, she just gave him one. 

Ignore me. Sorry. :)

• Like 5