Park Bo Gum ❤ Girl's Day Hyeri aka REPLY 1988 TAEK x DEOKSUN

hafunohane

22 hours ago, Meliere said:

So ... that leaves only 14 days (i.e. 2 freakin' weeks) during which DS was going after JH full-speed. 

lol. poor boy. 

Good stuff. See, this is what some people don't understand, how short her crush on JH actually was. I know it doesn't come across that way in the drama if you view it from Junghwan's POV, and I was willing to give him a month that she cared, but... that's just considering the time, but not her actions during it. During this time she was also totally falling for Taek as well, or at least coming to the realization that she had loved him all along. This crush was such a tiny little blip on her life as a whole. This is terrible to say, but honestly true...JH is lucky they are childhood friends because I'm not sure Deok-Sun would even remember the name of her 2 week crush 5 years before otherwise.. I do feel sorry for the guy to hold on for so long over something she probably didn't care much about in the end. But the end made it clear, that she actually has more emotional attachment/remembrance of the Sun Woo crush than her feelings for Junghwan.

4 hours ago, Betsi Soma said:

Guys do u think something happened between Taeksun after the hotel kiss scene .__.

Something.... but not that something. Some have suggested she stayed until he fell sleep. I like that idea. I don't think she would have left him before he went to sleep because she didn't like him taking the pills. And, I know they focused on the pills, but they were moved. Why and who moved them? Does one kiss from DS make the boy fall fast asleep? Well, it's possible truly.I think we have to consider he was drained before, and had just finished a match, he was only awake due to his Deok-Sun love, so it's unlikely anything major happened then. Though we never know, personally I still want my shot gun wedding fic lol 

• Like 16

7 hours ago, mangachickava said:

Argument:

SW was DS first love because of her narration below that overplayed her and SW walking out:

“In the summer of 1988, the first love of Sung Deok-sun’s life—my first love—began.”

Now before you continue reading and scrolling please go listen to her narrate.

Did you listen?? Did you hear the cackle at the end?? Did you?? Make sure you do.

So let us go back to the start of this love. Which according to DC was August 4th , which yes according to the Lunar calendar is summer. ( I will explain below how they got that date)

So first love in summer. Check.

1998, 8 is on the left side above the signs

Wait a second…SW is wearing a school uniform?

and what is this!

DS said they have two months until their dance competition for their SCHOOL field trip.

Look at the middle it says 10, 15

So Oct 15th minus two months gives August 15th. NOT August 4th.

Considered Korean school system starts late Aug, early Sept and…

“There are summer and winter breaks, but 10 optional half days at the beginning and end of each break, which are attended by practically all students, reduce each of these biennial vacations to the remaining 10 days." 

August 15th would make more sense  for the start of the fall semester, and Aug 4th is in the summer break.

Also doesn’t SW that night come to get correction fluid?

Is that not something a student in school needs?

Hmm so why would they broadcast the controversial, political wire taping incident (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmLh6kfVEM)  and because it was aired on August 4th, screw the timeline like that? 

Quite an interruption. Almost like the writer is saying PAY ATTENTION.

Before you scroll to through the pictures, I am going to give a little history lesson that might illuminate why the date is Aug 15th and not Aug 4th and also that the Mystery Chocolate is an “Easter Egg” by the writer.  

August 15th, 1945 : Korea gains freedom from Japanese control. War time.

August 15th, 1974: Korean president during his ceremony for Independence day is interrupted and shot at. The President’s wife is assassinated. The shooter was a Japanese-Korean.

credit

Please read ALL of that.

The scene after Dukbokki, and SW grabbing correction fluid:

did he just put the chopstick straight down into the potatoes....*gasp* (for those without the cultural context this signifies death) 

and wait for it...

And here I thought DS just had really bad makeup skills…she looks like a Geisha no? *Also the Japanese kabuki music plays in the background during that scene.*

So did we just get confirmation that it was August 15th? Did we just find out what the next Reply story will be about?

You can choose to ignore or disagree with the above, but really do you think the writer would have made it that easy for us? To have the narration so OBVIOUS? 

Let us listen to that laugh again HA!

So basically you're saying that...

Even though DS' voice-over appeared when she was together with SW, she was really referring to Taek as her first love?

Even though the wire-tapping broadcast accident happened live on TV on 4 Aug 1988, it was actually 15 Aug because of the potatoes and DS' ghastly makeup?

And you're saying all of these are in the SCRIPT? Wow, I don't know what to believe anymore. 

It is common for students to return to school even during the school break. If fall semester had indeed begun, they wouldn't be able to come out for Deokbokki in the afternoon. School only ends in the evening, or late at night after night study. 

It is unfortunate that Eng subs are of such poor standard. DS said, "There are two months left." She did NOT say, "There are EXACTLY two months left." This means, there could be MORE THAN two months - but less than three months - left.

It does make more sense if SW came over to borrow white-out if school had started. But, SW is known for making senseless excuses to go to DS' place. He limped around with a torn ligament to borrow a dictionary and a sewing kit which he already had. Why not a white-out during summer break?

Sure, the writer could have made it really difficult for us. But was she expecting the majority of viewers to make these - far-fetched - connections and figure out that DS' first love was actually Taek? If you observe the kind of easter eggs LWJ had planted, they do not seek offer an entirely new perspective. They merely further strengthen what we already know with new insights. 

• Like 9

I came upon another thought;

So we have this story

"one koi finally reached the top of the waterfall. The gods recognized the koi for its perseverance and determination and turned it into a golden dragon, the image of power and strength."

And I had been attributing it to TK this whole time, persevering in Baduk and his love for DS. But then I had another thought.

Doesn’t SW have the same birthday as DS?

Isn’t this the dream SW’s mom had before giving birth to him

tumblr_o1s37twQhE1sgauc3o9_540.png

What if DS is the koi fish that reaches the Creator and becomes a golden dragon?

DS (the yellow koi fish) climbing that waterfall…I mean blue truck…to reach TK (the creator)

tumblr_o1sppvhJJC1sgauc3o1_540.png

tumblr_o1sppvhJJC1sgauc3o2_540.png

tumblr_o1sppvhJJC1sgauc3o3_540.png

Now before I explain the “bookend”

I have noticed people have NOT really figured out the importance of the golden Turtle. So I’ll shed some light.

tumblr_o1sppvhJJC1sgauc3o4_540.jpg 

The table is on a turtle's shell:

“Lo Shu Square  is the unique normal magic square of order three so Lo Shu is part of the legacy of the most ancient Chinese mathematical and divinatory (Yi Jing 易經) traditions, and is an important emblem in Feng Shui(風水), the art of geomancy concerned with the placement of objects in relation to the flow of qi (氣) "natural energy".

“the Chinese tradition of using a tortoise as a pedestal may have a common source with the Indian legend of the world being held up by a giant turtle

In ancient China there was a huge deluge: the people offered sacrifices to the god of one of the flooding rivers, the Luo river (洛河), to try to calm his anger. A magical turtle emerged from the water with the curious and decidedly unnatural Lo Shu pattern on its shell:

The Lo Shu square on the back of a small turtle (in the center), surrounded by the signs of the Chinese zodiac and the Eight trigramsall carried by a large turtle .”

So going by this you could say the turtle is what carries the world, is what provides HOME  for the world

That…

TK (the creator) gave DS (golden dragon) the WORLD.

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, __jesse said:

t is common for students to return to school even during the school break. If fall semester had indeed begun, they wouldn't be able to come out for Deokbokki in the afternoon. School only ends at night after night study. 

sorry i made a point regarding that

“There are summer and winter breaks, but 10 optional half days at the beginning and end of each break, which are attended by practically all students, reduce each of these biennial vacations to the remaining 10 days." 

so your point about school only ends at night does not apply. 

again you can ignore the script. Maybe by pure random chance the set had a lot of potatoes and they thought of war? or maybe not.

and due to the PD saying in an interview how he plans to do 1974, i would say the references were planted just like how in reply 1997 THIS was planted. 

tumblr_o10f9h978F1sgauc3o2_540.png 

tumblr_o10f9h978F1sgauc3o1_540.png

We all will know the answer with time right?

*cue DS laugh*

• Like 15

21 minutes ago, mangachickava said:

sorry i made a point regarding that

so your point about school only ends at night does not apply. 

again you can ignore the script. Maybe by pure random chance the set had a lot of potatoes and they thought of war? or maybe not.

and due to the PD saying in an interview how he plans to do 1974, i would say the references were planted just like how in reply 1997 THIS was planted. 

We all will know the answer with time right?

*cue DS laugh*

24093261773_7f1b0ff326_z.jpg

There you go. Ep 18, Samsung commercial. Isn't this more obvious than a tray of potatoes?

• Like 11

I liked the suggestion from someone who said Taek and DS should be the parents if a year 2000+ Reply ever happens.  We wouldn't get Bogum and Hyeri, it but would still be fun.  And maybe they can do a flashback. :P  

And yes, thanks for the reminder! Let's be careful.  What happened it not freedom to go wild.  Don't reply to bait posts (which are super obvious by now) and don't engage shippers in arguments about the couples.  We don't agree and will never change anyone's mind.  Just talk about what we love and ignore the rest.  Do feel free to post in the MT without being scared though.  

• Like 14

I’ve noticed in the adult scenes that TK and DS do not wear wedding rings. The wedding ring typically symbolizes a lifetime commitment in a standard relationship but TK and DS do not have a “standard” k-drama relationship so they don’t have the standard props either. [flowers and candy vs mittens and a trophy vase] Instead they have items that are unique to them and therefore more meaningful. Could this be the writer purposely doing the opposite of what the audience expects to show that just because a relationship goes a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s the “right” way or “right” relationship? Sort of poking fun at the audience for being so caught up in the JH/DS loveline just because it's standard k-drama tropes? The lack of a ring can’t be explained away by Baduk because a wedding band is typically worn on the left hand while TK plays Baduk with his right.

18 minutes ago, phikyl said:

I’ve noticed in the adult scenes that TK and DS do not wear wedding rings. The wedding ring typically symbolizes a lifetime commitment in a standard relationship but TK and DS do not have a “standard” k-drama relationship so they don’t have the standard props either. [Instead of flowers and candy, TK gives DS mittens and a trophy vase] Instead they have items that are unique to them and therefore more meaningful] Could this be the writer purposely doing the opposite of what the audience expects to show that just because a relationship goes a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s the “right” way or “right” relationship? Sort of poking fun at the audience for being so caught up in the JH/DS loveline just because it's standard k-drama tropes? The lack of a ring can’t be explained away by Baduk because a wedding band is typically worn on the left hand while TK plays Baduk with his right.

There might be a more practical explanation for this...

The practice of wearing standard wedding rings is a relatively recent and eurocentric/anglo-american social construct. While the tradition has roots in medieval grimmel and poesy rings, the "double ring ceremony" thing didn't become accepted popular practice until the late 19th century, as part of the department store revolution to sell more rings and thus romanticize the ritual significance of marriage. 

As far as I know, East Asian societies don't traditionally require rings for marriage. If people in Korea wear them now, it is a recent adoption, borrowed from fashionable "western" practices (like Christmas). Back in the 90s, wearing wedding rings wasn't all that common (dear Korean soompiers, please correct me if I'm wrong!!!)... so you'd have to be pretty hip and westernized to wear a band everyday. All the older Asian couples I know don't wear rings. 

• Like 11

hahaha this mv is funny lol...which is real Taek the innocent one or the sexy beast kisser XD oh lol it posted above XD

oh well some old mv deserve more rewatch

lol don't worry im sure the thread still gonna move for some time..there group of fans rewatching every week and it just at ep2 so expected to continue for longer XD

• Like 16

On January 31, 2016 at 10:55 PM, phikyl said:

Could this be the writer purposely doing the opposite of what the audience expects to show that just because a relationship goes a certain way, doesn’t mean it’s the “right” way or “right” relationship? Sort of poking fun at the audience for being so caught up in the JH/DS loveline just because it's standard k-drama tropes?

I think this is right.  This is a very cheeky drama and yes, not only does the drama poke fun at the cheesy Korean dramas, it's also making fun of the audience who expects to see those cheesy tropes every time.  What's more, it pokes even more fun at us, the audience, by actually giving us all those expected tropes, but in symbolic/metaphorical ways.  I bet the writer and the PD are having a good laugh at us right about now. LOL.

On a separate note, Taek gave DS the turtle as a symbol of his eternal love. His message behind that is quite profound.  I don't know, I kind of like that.  It's original and unique to him and shows he actually put in thought and consideration to his proposal, in a very unique Taek way.  I think that is endearing and adorable and much more special and romantic than a wedding ring that is so common and the "expected" thing. DS' expression in that proposal scene says the same thing - she thinks he's adorable.   Besides, think about how valuable that turtle was - it was solid 24k gold!

• Like 22

11 hours ago, Phuong Tam Nguyen said:

OMG ASTRID I FOUND THIS!!!

IT'S ONE OF THE MOST POPULAR MANHWA RELEASED IN 1985, THE AUTHOR IS KIM YOUNG SOOK

http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=yang3995&logNo=220541697991

@shooastrid

I think many Korean fans have identified that. The title is "Acclaim" or "Applause" (Google translate LOL) but I find some articles on the contents of the series here. Unfortunately I couldnt find any English version and Google translate didnt make sense sometimes. So we need @kilaalaa, @chickfactor, @allegramente, @syaiira, @rynn_peace to help with the translation :) Thanks so much guys

http://blog.naver.com/yang3995/220541697991

http://blog.daum.net/2001doll/9293241

http://blog.naver.com/yang3995/220541697991

http://www.bomtoon.com/comic/ep_list/applause

http://rayseen.tistory.com/95

:heart::heart::heart: for everybody ^^

•  

Synopsis that I got from HERE

This is the myths-like story about an ordinary girl who dreams to become an actress.
Jyusika Edoni is an aspiring actress who always dreams to stand on stage. With her talents, she can catch public attention.
Then suddenly, a mysterious man named Shan Piersli appeared and offered Jyusika Edoni who gets into difficult situation, a life time contract
Now, Jyusika Edoni has to follow Shan Piersly’s order and the meeting with Ice prince from prestigious family, Chris Miller; a student of acting academy Yuri Eswald; a wanderer Richie Lemingstone change her life.

• Like 11