[Drama 2015-2016] Tomorrow Victory 내일도 승리 7:50KST

Ldy Gmerm

Need some help from those of you who know Korean.  Do we know exactly how Seung Ri caused her brother Jae Min's death (that her mom holds her responsible for)?

When I am subbing the drama, I am having some trouble translating some of the stuff that SR's mom yells out.  So a clear idea of what happened to SR's brother would help make sure that I am translating things correctly.  Thanks!

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@jayakris Thank you so much for your hard work on this drama. I rewatched episodes 1-5 with your subs, and it cleared up quite a few things for me. It's not easy to go back to the naive SR from those early episodes, but the subs made it more than worthwhile. It's been about a year since I watched a subbed daily, I had forgotten how nice it is. Now that I'm reminded, I don't want to go back to the fog of raws again. :) 

I wish I knew the answer to your question about Jae Min. My impression from the character descriptions was that SR had an accident while playing, and her mother did something to save her and lost the pregnancy that way. I could be wrong about this. From character descriptions at MBC : "시어머니 생전에 아들 못 낳는 죄로 구박 받다가 어렵사리 아들을 임신했지만, 승리를 구하려다 그만 유산이 되고 말았다." which I understood to mean something like "Because of the "crime" of not bearing a son she received ill treatment throughout her mother-in-law's life, then got pregnant with a son, but ended up miscarrying after trying to save SR." (I hope someone can correct me if I'm wrong!) Another version of the same line from Daum mentions playing on a bike. "시어머니 생전에 아들 못 낳는 죄로 구박받다가 어렵사리 아들을 임신했지만, 자전거 타고 놀던 나라를 구하려다 그만 유산되고 말았다." (I have no idea what "나라" is supposed to mean here.)

I don't remember details coming up in conversations though, but that's not saying much because I don't understand a lot of the dialogue. SR's mother brings up Jae Min again on SR's birthday/his death anniversary in episode 8, perhaps she will say more on that occasion. (EDIT: I left a comment on DSS too. That was my first time commenting on that site, I hope I didn't mess up.)

Thanks, @ina111 for those links.  Ah, why didn't I think of checking the MBC site? :)

So, okay, it is along the lines of what I was thinking had happened, when I saw the mom yell and scream - that the boy probably died before he was born, due to something SR did.  Your translations of those above lines are all correct.  I think that 나라 was just a mistake. It has to be 승리 like at the MBC site.  But it is good to know that it had something to do with SR playing on a bicycle.

And thanks a lot for commenting at DSS.  If you find any mistake in what I am hearing/translating, just put in some tag line like "inaflag" or something in the comment box there.  I can search and find your comments easily.  You have at least as good an ear as me; probably better!  Always good to have another pair of eyes/ears checking things.

I found something very odd in Ep 26 when  Cha JinU shows up as the new employee at the paparazzi place where Han SeRi works.  These two have never met each other?  How is that possible when everybody knew that SeungRi was taking care of SeonU's family when he was studying and all that?  They all seem to live in the same neighborhood, and their mothers have known each other for a long time too.  These two never ran into each other? Come on... And worse still, they both clearly say their names out and still do not notice anything.  I don't get it.  One of those Kdrama goof-ups?

I was looking for that running and hugging scene shown in the preview of Ep 26, but there was none of it in the episode.  At the end of the episode Hong Ju was sweeping outside, so I guess the scene has been pushed to Ep 27.

My slow subtitling work is still going on at DSS :) Finished Ep 6 yesterday.  Working on Ep.7.

@Misstwilightfan1416 Thank you for the videos!

I braved my hotel's wi-fi speeds and caught up with this week's episodes. SU did great work at the end of ep. 28. If it weren't for him, the chairman wouldn't have found out the truth about that blogger. :D 

@jayakris Thank you! I can't wait to watch it. 

I agree with you, it's hard to believe that Jin U and Se Ri have never met. It would make sense if one of them had just come back from studying abroad or something, but so far as I know that's not the case. I imagine SR's mother must have actively discouraged any mingling between the two families, so perhaps that can be some excuse. Nevertheless, it seems pretty far-fetched. As you pointed out, SR was close with SU's family, and their siblings would probably know each other's names at least.

As for that hug from Friday's preview, we're on episode 28 and there's still no sign of it. I think they're going to make us wait until episode 30 to find out what that was all about.

Well, at least we finally got to hear about HJ's past. The sidekick dude wasn't kidding when he said that Ja Du's mom had messed up HJ's life. :tears:

Speaking of SU's family, does anyone know anything more about SU's other siblings? There are a lot of people in this family photo. 

ZXLqYPb.jpg

7 hours ago, ina111 said:

Well, at least we finally got to hear about HJ's past. The sidekick dude wasn't kidding when he said that Ja Du's mom had messed up HJ's life. :tears:

Yeah, the sidekick dude thankfully got drunk, and he spoke very clearly for us to understand exactly what had happened.  Funny that we had so much trouble figuring out what he was saying in that early episode when he wasn't drunk :)

And yes, we are still waiting for that hug scene which really looked great in that preview last week. 3-4 episodes later, there is still no sign of it.

Hmm... That Cha family picture looks odd.  Where did the other two kids in the picture go?

Thanks @Misstwilightfan1416, for the clips. Always good to see those as appetizers a few hours ahead of when I get to see the full episode.

@ina111, looks like the hug scene will finally happen in E30.  Well, at least I hope so. Who knows, maybe it is the preview at the end of Ep 30, and they will go another week without it :)

I just finished the Ep 7 subs at darksmurfsub.com ...

I'm a kinda confused about the different names for soy sauce that keep coming up. I think at the beginning of episode 30 SR asks SU where the research lab for "씨간장" is. Does anyone know what that word means? Does it translate to "seed soy sauce"? Would that be a special kind of soy sauce, or soy sauce base that's used in making other soy sauce? 

@jayakris Wow, you're almost done with ep 8 too! You say that it's moving slowly, but your work seems really fast to me. I was very happy to see Chinese subs for episode 1 this morning. (Finally. I was getting worried.)  Hopefully those subs will catch up fast, and can be of help over at DSS.

I'm enjoying the sweet moments between our couple in the last couple of episodes. The romance part of the story is moving along quite nicely, but the work part is making me want to pull my hair out. No, actually, make that SR's hair. :) How can she not suspect that JG or SU are behind this set up?! I get that she's nice and doesn't want to unfairly accuse anyone, but she knows for a fact that SU is not an honest person and that he wants to get rid of her. Ugh.

A couple of instagram photos. Two beautiful ladies:

and a handsome trio:

I also found a spoiler-ish instagram photo on Phillip Choi's intagram account - it's a list of scenes on his shooting schedule (from eps 36-40). Looks boring at first glance, but quite a bit of the text is legible if you zoom in, and for each scene there's a few words that hint at the content... :) If anyone wants to explore, I put the image under the spoiler tag. 

Spoiler

text link, in case the image doesn't show up (I've been having some problems with instagram photos lately):

https://www.instagram.com/p/_I6zisuB0y/

13 hours ago, ina111 said:

I'm a kinda confused about the different names for soy sauce that keep coming up. I think at the beginning of episode 30 SR asks SU where the research lab for "씨간장" is. Does anyone know what that word means? Does it translate to "seed soy sauce"? Would that be a special kind of soy sauce, or soy sauce base that's used in making other soy sauce? 

@jayakris Wow, you're almost done with ep 8 too! You say that it's moving slowly, but your work seems really fast to me. I was very happy to see Chinese subs for episode 1 this morning. (Finally. I was getting worried.)  Hopefully those subs will catch up fast, and can be of help over at DSS.

I'm enjoying the sweet moments between our couple in the last couple of episodes. The romance part of the story is moving along quite nicely, but the work part is making me want to pull my hair out. No, actually, make that SR's hair. :) How can she not suspect that JG or SU are behind this set up?! I get that she's nice and doesn't want to unfairly accuse anyone, but she knows for a fact that SU is not an honest person and that he wants to get rid of her. Ugh.

Actually 씨간장 came up early in the first episode itself when SR was talking to her dad in the first scene of the drama.  I think I coined the phrase "seed soy sauce" as I didn't know what to call it.  I don't think it is a paste, and I never fully understood what it was, by reading stuff online.  The Korean pages are always confusing, and I couldn't find any English pages that explained it. So I went with "seed soy sauce" (as 씨 is seed) in my subs. I assumed that it wouldn't start with 씨 if it were actually seeds. It is some kind of soy sauce that is used like a seed, or used on or with seeds, is what I guessed.  I think my guess was not too far off.  I just did some more research and found an arirang channel youtube video that kinda explains what it is - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKvwQwX0B6E (see from about the 3:15 mark).  Still not too clear, but it seems like a type of liquid.  Like an essence that is used to culture soybean sauces and seeds, or something like that.

And I agree on being totally irritated at SR letting SeonU and JaeGyeong get away with everything, and continuing to take her for crap and maliciously attacking her.  Apparently now it is because SR doesn't want them to bring out HongJu's past (which is what JG threatened her with). Very flimsy reasoning.  HJ even asked her in E31 at the restaurant scene whether those two aren't behind the cellphone text. Ridiculous that SR still cannot seem to figure this out.

But the romance parts are done beautifully.  The run and hug scene was really nice.  In fact, these two have very good chemistry together and the romance is deeper than we normally see in daily dramas.  But the work scenes are simply too hard to watch!

I feel really bad for SU's mom, but did she really think that JG would wear the used underwear? :lol: SU got married pretty recently, so there's no reason for her to think that JG would need help getting pregnant. 

@jayakris Thank you so much for the explanation. I really should have remembered that mention of seed soy sauce from the beginning. It hasn't even been that long since I watched the subbed episodes. It would have saved me some time and head scratching. At first I thought it was "si" and that it was a name of soy sauce, like Seodong's "901", but that didn't make sense in the context of the story. A news articles about one of the recent episodes gave me the correct spelling "ssi", but I was still clueless about what it actually is.

That youtube video link was helpful. (I found the line "Ssiganjang means soy sauce containing seeds" a bit confusing because it could also mean that there are plant seeds in there. :)) What you said about it being used to culture soy sauces and pastes makes perfect sense in the context. 

I'm still unclear about how that seed soy sauce relates to Seodong's "901". Is "901" also a seed soy sauce? Or does SR think that the reason "901" and the soy sauce her father developed taste the same is because they used the same "seed"? Perhaps this is not an important detail. I was just trying to figure out why SR asked that Hwanggeum Soy Sauce guy for component analysis results for her father's seed soy sauce. (If that's indeed what she said.)  

I agree with you, the romance in this drama is done really well. I also find it refreshing that there are no love triangles so far. I hope that the writer won't keep SR this naive for long, the story really doesn't need that. Even if SR is aware that SU is plotting against her, it will take her a lot of time and effort to find out the truth about what happened to her father and deal with the culprits. SU is not an easy opponent. 

Archived