Nam Joo Hyuk 남주혁

melleri

More of interview articles. 27.June.2015

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=213&aid=0000713809

20150626_1435293907_67879300_1_99_201506
20150626_1435315965_46058200_1_99_201506

To the question ‘What has changed after you moved to YG’ he answered, "Delicious meal is the basis. It seems I have more opportunity in acting. I'm taking management as a model from YG K-Plus, as an actor from YG Entertainment."
YG is famous for yummy meal, once he was treated with the catering car at the location. Nam Joo Hyuk said, "I was very happy. It was the most delicious food of all food I ate at the location." He smiled.

-----------------------------------------

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=109&aid=0003099795

201506270218772207_558d89f560e81_99_2015

http://mimgnews1.naver.net/image/109/2015/06/27/201506270218772207_558d89f4bfa17_99_20150627060113.jpg?type=w540

"Director said that he thought I had something special. We had free talking about the school days, I told him my story about injury during the basketball. It was same as Yian's. He said he hesitated because I wasn't a proved actor, but after he heard my story, he said he wanted to make up together with me. After the drama is over, he praised me that I did better than he expected. He scored me 70 points. To be honest, that's what I wanted to hear from him. My goal was to hear his praise when it's over."

"I'm still confused. I felt heavy burden in taking the leading role of 'School' series. I could grow a lot with this drama. I experienced many things, Only good things left. I had watched 'School 2013'. From that time, I wanted to act in 'School' series. Because it would be the series I can act comfortably in my age. I went to school a lot at the variety show, but in this drama, I could feel more actual feeling of school days. So I like it more."

"The most memorable scene is the bus scene at ep 4. I regret I could have done better if it had been at the latter part. At that time, I wasn't accustomed to my character yet, so I couldn't show my 100%. I can't stand goosebump situation, but in that scene, I didn't feel any goosebump but I felt fluttered. My heart was playing with old friend Eunbyul, not Eunbi. After those episodes, I didn't have any more fluttering scene. I was just angry at Eunbyul or Enbi. Ha ha.

"I thought a lot what would I do if Eunbyul didn't come back. When Eunbyul came back, and Yian got traffic accident, I was really suffering mental crisis. How Yian should do when Eunbyul came back. Because Yian was already opening his heart toward Eunbi saying 'I prefer changed Eunbyul more.' Moreover, I had to be angry at Eunbyul not say Thanks. I couldn't catch what emotion I should have in those scenes. Both Yian and I were suffering mental crisis."

"So I asked advice to the director. I thought a lot by myself as well. After hearing that Eunbyul was a true friend, I felt like I could breathe again. I think the viewers may get disappointed to see confused Yian. I also wish what would it be if Yian hadn't changed his mind."

Nam Joo Hyuk appreciated to many staffs who helped him in the field. He said he would correct all the things pointed out and keep progressing.

---------------------------------------------------

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=001&aid=0007689480

"When I was 3rd year of middle school, my basketball skill improved a lot suddenly. At that time, I was taking recruits from highschool, I was going well. But I got injured legs. Athletes lose everything when they can't do their sports anymore. I poured all my effort but all were collapsed in a moment just by the injury. I know that pain very well, so I wanted to relay the message 'Don't give up, let's go to the end.' to those who are suffering the same pain, but due to the story, I couldn't show it enough."

After he quit basketball, he became to have an ambiguous dream of 'being a model', but was doing part time jobs in restaurants or in super market. He was just a troublemaker son. Then he won the first prize at the model contest, it brought him reversal of fortune. He could attend the model academy for free and debut as a model. A designer didn't even let him put on his clothes and told him 'You just go home'. "It was the days of failing like fallen leaves. But I kept working thinking 'Okay, let's see what will happen.' Then I could meet good opportunity." 
Recently he is watching Edward Norton's movies. Joohyuk is fascinated by his versatile charm in various movies.
"Till now, I could act roles which were similar to myself. Since I'm still young, I want to act a pure and fresh love story. But I also want 200% different role as well, such as a psychopath. People say that I have a boy's charm, but if a pure looking boy show an opposite shape, won't it be more attractive?" (laughs)

-----------------------------------------------

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=108&aid=0002431346

2015062617174310081_2_99_20150627060008.

http://mimgnews1.naver.net/image/108/2015/06/27/2015062617174310081_1_99_20150627060008.jpg?type=w540

- What is the attractiveness of Kim So Hyun and Yook Seong Jae?

▶ Seong Jae is always bright and positive. He always tried to make the mood bright, so I joined. So the director called us 'Fool brothers.' So Hyun acted two characters. She did great job. When she acts, she looks matured, like a older sister. But behind the camera, she is a typical teenager girl, like a younger sister. If I can have a chance, I want to work with So Hyun again.

- How was your work with Yook Seong Jae, who was in love triangle with you? Are you keeping in touch after the drama?

▶ We did good work together. We're contacting well. Same with So Hyun. Those two are very busy doing their next schedule, but contacting continuously. I appreciate it. 

- You showed a pure and fluttering love line in this drama, did you have same experience in your school days?

▶ I had girlfriend from 3rd year of middle school, dated her till 2nd year of highschool. I used to come&go to school together, same as in the drama. I woke up early in the morning to go to her house and took bus together to the school. I was a pure-hearted boy different from my look. Although I remember that, when I act, I tried to focus on the script, Eunbyul and Eunbi. And I'm not dating now.

- Didn't you have a burden in the rating as a leading actor?

▶ I can't say I didn't have. But I was worried more about how I would express Han Yian better. My burden was 'Did I act well'.

---------------------------------------------

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=111&aid=0000428102

1435292770875_1_082110_99_20150627085403

"To be honest, I've never cried out loud. But when I filmed the hospital scene of shoulder injury, I fell for my emotion. The coach soothed me, it reminded the day when I was 3rd year of middle school. To the athlete, the injury means despair losing everything. I cried hard and teared a lot. I couldn't stop trembling my lips. "

Now he is settling down as an actor, 'What if you go back to the middle school' He answered without hesitation, "I want to do basketball again."

"When playing games, there is a moment that I sense that suddenly I get better, I feel like I can do whatever. To me, that moment was when I was 3rd year of middle school. I was receiving recruit request from famous highschool. If I shoot, all goal in, if I breakthrough, all blocks were broken.(laughs) Just that moment, I got injured. It was like falling into the hole. If I can go back to that time, I want to do basketball again for sure."

----------------------------------------

http://www.asiatoday.co.kr/view.php?key=20150627000812187

20150627000812187_1.jpeg

Nam Joo Hyuk praised Kim So Hyun's acting. "She did very well in acting two persons. I felt like two were totally different persons. Because she did so well, I could become do better just following her acting. I thought our acting matched well. Our co-work was very good."

• Like 8

Thank you so much for all the translations @saturn.!

Because of you, we got to fall in love more with Nam Joo Hyuk, with his honesty, humility and goofiness.

Somehow him being so self-aware and acknowledging that there was something wrong in the way YA was portrayed made me love him even more. I'm hoping at least he understands that some of the hate directed towards him is irrational, so don't worry too much about it. As long he keeps trying harder and practice, he will be amazing :)

Hehe and Eun Bi being his ideal type makes me so happy!! :wub:

• Like 6

Aaaaa thank you so much @saturn. <3 you're the best!!

The more I read about him, the more I feel like he is indeed my type :))) Hahaha. I really love his attitude about this whole thing. He's indeed humble and honest. Seeing the hates he gets for being YiAn makes me want to root for him even more. Soon enough, he will pawn those haters in the face. 

I love how the director noticed his face contractions and small small motor movements that he cannot control yet express when he's into the emotions :) Do well Joo Hyuk ah. You've got a fan here. It's always interesting to follow someone from when he/she begins his stardom. I really believe that Joo Hyuk can get big in the future if he keeps up this attitude :) 

• Like 5

@melissala thanks for creating this thread! It's long over due! 

@snowstorm87 thanks for posting those videos up. I've been trying to find vids of NJH speaking English. The last one with the principal and him saying he was Kangnam's brother cracked me up! Lol

It's a good thing l didn't go to highschool with NJH or someone who looks like him bc I'm pretty sure l would have failed. He would be a major distraction :crazy:

There must be something in Busan's water to always produce such fine men (NJH of course, Jung Yong Hwa, Kang Ha Neul... :w00t:). All my favourite male K celebs are Busan boys :D

Edited by jstarr23_stv
  • Like 5

After know more about him, it's make me love him more . he's so humble, hard working and down to earth person. he's always think that he's not good enough even not afraid to read all hatefull comment to make him more better in future. When people praise him, he always said that it because he's lucky and would make him to work harder.  

I love his straightforwardness, honest and not being fake. For a long time, I didn't find any celebrity with this attitude so I am so happy and make me fell for him more. 

I love his dorky, funny and his cute side.  I love his height, body and his handsome face. I love everything about him lol

Now I am rewatching school, watch all his variety, read all his interview because I miss him so much :3 he maybe not pick project quickly because he would practice more, but I wish we could see his appearence though it's just for interview or variety

Edited by baby.hae
  • Like 5

Three interview videos - 29.June.2015

izVveI6HpGxik.jpg

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=427&aid=0000019155
So Hyun is a great actress and a real nice and innocent little sister. In acting, she has been doing it since she was young, so she has a lot of things I should learn. Beside acting, she is a cute and nice girl. She is 5 years younger than me. I wanted to protect her like a real brother. So I tried to take care of her next to her.  The director asked her to choose one between I and Seong Jae, she didn't answer. I don't want to be chosen by her but to be treated as her real brother and a colleague.

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=427&aid=0000019156
Seongjae is very serious when he needs to be. I am also mischievous like Gong Tae Kwang when I'm with my friends. I am just shy to strangers. That's why I looked quieter than Seong Jae.
Personally, I can't do my best unless I'm stimulated. I need an inspiration or rival. When I'm compared to others, it becomes a big inspiration to me. Seongjae and I were compared a lot by fans. Seongjae did more works. Seeing him, I thought he's really good at acting. The director also said to me that I would have not done this well if there had not been a stimulus like Seong Jae. I agree.

http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=427&aid=0000019157
Recently, I have new hobbies of bicycle and collecting. I'm collecting figures a lot. If I'm stuck to something, I must buy it unconditionally.
Park Soo Jin has been my ideal woman. My heart hurt when I heard she's getting married. So Hyun consoled me, "Cheer up, Oppa". I've mentioned that she's my ideal woman since long ago, So Hyun knew it too.
Anyone can be my role model if that person has something I can learn and good points. If I should pick someone, I want to follow Yoo Ah In or Gong Yoo.

• Like 5

Guest phichul

I love how he take all those hatred in positive way, he got compared with sungaje in term of acting and it stimulus him to do better. he admit it that being compared make him work harder since it make his competitiveness side rise.

with the rating went up, I'm glad too bcs it relieve him. so, he dont feel too burden with all the unnecessary hate he received. fighting joo-hyuk a!!

straightforward joo hyuk always admirable! I love how he even share to so hyun that he is sad when his ideal noona get married soon.hha this boy! (actually when i first read his ideal type in arirang and watch olive program and see how he interract with soo jin harmoniously, make me wonder is it this girl who become his ideal type? the one with bob/short hair, cute but sharp image and get along well with him. and i guess it right! haha. 

ah, he treat so hyun as dongsaeng aww, just wait 5 years more. and lets see how you'll see this little dongsaeng? lol 

@tikhagahara why i cant open the link you posted? can you share another link? i want to read that article too :) 

HE look s so damn fine with denim!!!! :wub: and all those vein.... >,< eventhough i think his face kinda look swollen? maybe too tired?? aww... please have a good rest joo hyuk a~

Edited by phichul

Being compared will only help him!  I tried and tried to explain that I don't think his character being disliked was totally his fault, but some people don't to hear it lol.  I gave up.  I'm sure he'll work hard and do well.

It's kind of amazing how popular he is considering he just debuted only a couple years ago.   I'm really interested in his next project.  

• Like 2

Guest phichul

@baby.hae 

this new photo!!!!! oh gawd... i think this kind of hair style could be good rival for the one in last bus scene lol xD

11381861_694119970720054_723922600_n.jpg

10375794_110896512583808_1666871965_n.jp

Boyish Joo hyuk (omg i already imagine he become another school boy)

11356371_471705572988136_1101365736_n.jp

I think I'm officialy prefer joo hyuk if his bang down didnt cover his thick eyebrow! it make him still cute,pure innocent but more handsome!! :wub: . 

wonder why there's no soompi article about this boy eventhough he has so many interview and article release in SK? :sweatingbullets:

Guest phichul

@baby.hae 

this new photo!!!!! oh gawd... i think this kind of hair style could be good rival for the one in last bus scene lol xD

11381861_694119970720054_723922600_n.jpg

10375794_110896512583808_1666871965_n.jp

Boyish Joo hyuk (omg i already imagine he become another school boy)

11356371_471705572988136_1101365736_n.jp

I think I'm officialy prefer joo hyuk if his bang down didnt cover his thick eyebrow! it make him still cute,pure innocent but more handsome!! :wub: . 

wonder why there's no soompi article about this boy eventhough he has so many interview and article release in SK? :sweatingbullets:

http://ygpress.blogspot.ca/2015/06/who-are-you-nam-joo-hyuk-says-his-ideal.html

positive comments from knetz (maybe most of them are NJH fans tho, but thats fine, =D)

NJH go go gooooo!!!

'WHO ARE YOU' NAM JOO HYUK SAYS HIS IDEAL TYPE IS LEE EUN BI

20150626_1435293894_00358200_1_99_201506

"In the end, I chose Lee Eun Bi instead of my one-sided love with Go Eun Byul.  In reality, Lee Eun Bi is my ideal type.  Her personality is just right.  She's someone who makes me want to look after her and protect her.  Or maybe it's because I'm still kind of immersed in the drama (Laughs) [...]"

Source: TV Report via Naver

1. [+2314, -88]  Guys will probably like Lee Eun Bi's character more.  I think Kim So Hyun's personality in real life's similar to hers too.  She looks kind ㅜㅜ

2. [+1748, -68]  Of course if you're a guy it's Lee Eun Bi ㅋㅋㅋ

3. [+1148, -75]  You're very good-looking, fighting!

4. [+1185, -128]  Well my ideal type is Nam Joo Hyuk ㅎ

5. [+987, 88]  Nam Joo Hyuk's handsome

6. [+122, -10]  Lee Eun Bi's nice so of course they'll like her more... but more than anything, it's because she's played by Kim So Hyun

7. [+113, -8]  I was frustrated with Lee Eun Bi's character but Kim So Hyun played her well

8. [+108, -9]  Kind, genuine, and extremely pretty?  Who wouldn't like her? ㅋㅋ

9. [+113, -23]  My heart still beats when I think of Han Yi Ahn ㅋㅋ

10. [+94, -15]  It's not just Nam Joo Hyuk's looks that makes my heart flutter when I think of Han Yi Ahn.  It's also because I think part of his acting was very genuine.  Looking forward to his future work~ fighting

My ideal type is NJH too. .lol. I very agree with knetz number 10, eventhough many people criticize his acting but whenever I see NJH acting as HYA, I feel like his acting was pure and genuine. Maybe his skill is not the best yet, but I like his acting, it has an own charm that can't describe by words. . 

I love this article and the number of upvotes. after this drama, he's indeed very popular right now. He even have several interview in a short of time. I think in this article it's not commented by his fans alone, because you can see many people praise and mention kim so hyun too. This article maybe commented by the viewers of school because this drama is very popular. I like people leave positive comment and would looking for his future~

@phichul I love his new hairstyle~ but the bus scene is still my top favourite lol. In conclusion, he's just look good on anything  :lol:  In the last photo he looks so young >.< with that hairstyle I bet the directors would cast him as high schooler again lol

Edited by baby.hae
  • Like 3

Koala likes him  :P   I like this part  he is easy on the eyes with a great leading man build that fills up the camera screen, followed by a comfortable acting cadence that I found quite pleasing to watch. 

http://koalasplayground.com/2015/06/29/nam-joo-hyuk-in-the-pages-of-tenasia-for-post-who-are-you-school-2015-interview/

He's definitely has leading man potential.  His build and height add to that and I agree he's comfortable to watch on screen.  Go leave a nice comment everyone.  

Edited by melissala
  • Like 2

Guest snowstorm87

His acting wasn’t the best and he lacks experience. Tbh there were a few scenes where I wanted to know what HYA was really thinking (i.e. reaction to EB saying “I like you”) but these can be partly attributed to the writing and directing. But even though I’ve seen so many dramas with overall better execution and acting, I was never as invested in them as much as WAYS2015.

Even with poor writing, editing, and directing, whatever we did see of NJH’s portrayal as HYA was genuine. His interactions with KSH as EB were simple but real while his feelings of anger and betrayal toward EB and EunByul were raw and realistic. But overall, NJH’s portrayal of HYA had a lot of heart, which a lot of people did notice. He’s already been in 2 projects and it’s been less than two years since his debut with so many followers on IG. No worries, he has so much potential and he'll do great. 

And SoHyun trying to cheer him up over heartbreaking news? So cute! Reminds me of EB trying to cheer up YA. Is it too much to ask for these two to at least appear on an episode of Running Man for now until their next project together?