[Drama 2015] The Return of Hwang Geum Bok 돌아온 황금복

Ldy Gmerm

@gerrytan8063

Thanks for the quick summary trans.. I am going to borrow it.

Yeah the end of this drama.. so not on my list of favs or to rewatch.. lol

Video from Episode 125 Final and quick summary from Gerrytan8063.

Spoiler

"

Yr gets hit by a car and gets up to continue to run until the cops pull up to arrest her. With GB being upset as she watches on and YR yells out to Gb.

TJ comes to talk to GS about MH and we see MH listening in. IW announces about GB's pregnancy to the grandmother.

MH comes to the house to get on his knees. ES takes him out and feeds him a meal and holds him why he cries as GB watches upset as well.

"MY gets 8 years while RH gets 3 years for attempted murder & accessory"

MJ and ES are still upset to see their former friend this way and ES goes to the prison bus to asks why and see RH's face who cries as they both have flashbacks to friendlier times and ES passes out when the bus leaves.

YR ends up in jail as well and sees RH but they are not allowed to be together lol..

"4 months later"

"Double wedding"

"TJ with ES while TJ sister with MJ brother"

This finally happens for Tj and ES .. about time.

"MH leaves Korea with Chairman Kim"

TJ manages to see MH before he goes  the airport.

ES manages to get to the Airport to see GS off as well crying to see him go.

"Then 3 years later"

"RH release from prison & open a street stall"

"ES & MJ comes & they made peace & let the bygones go.....GB brought her daughter to play greetings to RH"

"MY must have got an early release....MH comes to greet his mother at the prison entrance"

The End

Video Credit DramaSBS Channel on YouTube.

That's it guys thanks for hanging out with me for this drama it was great to talk about this drama with all of you.. Thank you to all of those that took the time to translate for us when they had the time.. You are appreciated. I will see you guys for the next drama where ever that will be lol..

Have a great weekend.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awful ending and MH received didn't receive an apology from GB smh. What a mess! I'll just move on and try to forget this disaster. Thank you everyone for your wonderful insights(even though we were all fooled by this writer smh) and hilarious posts. @Ldy Gmerm @gerrytan8063 @ina111 @Jackie1048 Thank you for the recaps and translations.

We have to move on to the next drama which may turn out to be a mess yet again..we must be gluttons for punishment! :lol: See you in the other threads and have a Happy Holidays!

4 hours ago, gerrytan8063 said:

Episode 125 (Final)

MY gets 8 years while RH gets 3 years for attempted murder & accessory

4 months later

Double wedding

TJ with ES while TJ sister with MJ brother

MH leaves Korea with Chairman Kim

Then 3 years later

RH release from prison & open a street stall

ES & MJ comes & they made peace & let the bygones go.....GB brought her daughter to play greetings to RH

MY must have got an early release....MH comes to greet his mother at the prison entrance

The End

Bunch of crap.  For sure.  MH was the only one that I felt sorry for.  Everyone else sucked.  I was so disappointed in GB at the end.  

@lclarakl and @sunnywoo I didn't think that this was possible, but I feel the same way about our eponymous heroine. This was a completely novel drama experience for me. I'll follow @tinatrix236's example - move on and try to forget. :) 

@Ldy Gmerm thank you so much for your tireless work with recaps and videos over these six long months. You truly deserve an award of some kind. I also appreciate being able to chat with you, @tinatrix236 and @valsava while watching some of the later episodes. The drama had already started going south by that time, but I had so much fun watching with you guys that I actually remember those episodes fondly. :D  

@gerrytan8063 and @Jackie1048 thank you for translating, summarizing and clearing up our many confusions along the way!

To everyone who followed this thread and to everyone who took the time to post and share their observations and opinions with the rest of us, THANK YOU! It's because of your contributions and companionship that I don't regret spending time on this drama. I hope to see all of you in other threads. 

In case anyone's interested, here's the ratings chart that includes all of the episodes. Given the volume of negative comments on SBS's discussion board, I'm guessing that quite a few people kept watching even after they stopped enjoying the drama. Apparently, the fascination with train wrecks transcends cultural boundaries. :P

Data source: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/돌아온_황금복 

F3BxRIT.jpg

Since these ratings numbers didn't mean much to me on their own, for comparison's sake I made the same chart for the preceding four SBS dramas in the same time slot. (I used the same scale on all charts to make the direct comparison easier.) In case anyone is curious, I put those other charts under the spoiler. 

Spoiler

Note the comparatively low ratings for Ugly Alert. I'm worried what kind of message these numbers are sending to the drama writers and producers. I worry about what this means for the next drama, Witch's Castle.

Data source: https://ko.wikipedia.org/달려라_장미_(드라마)

aejknv8.jpg

Data source: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/사랑만_할래

5aut6cK.jpg

Data source:  https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/잘_키운_딸_하나

prdycqz.jpg

Data source: https://ko.wikipedia.org/wiki/못난이_주의보

EKZhmZ7.jpg

ah  god bless  you  all  , hope the next  drama we watch  is   better.

this  last  week of  this  drama  was  just  stupid, don't know  why     but i started  to laugh  out  loud when watching, everything was such a mess that  it  was  funny.  the  courtroom  drama was  hilarious. everything  was  wrong in that  court  case. lol  but inn kdrama its allowed.  i  thought  that  RH will be  GB daughter babysitter  the  way the child   greeted  RH and  was  hugging and such lolol.  I  even expected YR to  walk hand in hand  with  GB  back to  the  office  with a  good  job.lolol suprise ES did not  buy   RH/YR  GS apartment  to live inn to enjoy  life. ah  crime pays in kdrama land. 

@Ldy Gmerm; @gerrytan8063; @Valsava; @Triton823

Greetings, Friends,

THESE PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS!!!!!  This drama has just started airing in Hawaii four days a week; we're like on Episode 20 with subtitles and I couldn't wait so...  I just marathon'd the drama without subs over this past week reading along with @Ldy Gmerm and @gerrytan8063's recaps and commentary also by sunbaes @valsava and @Triton823...  Okay, so it will be spring before those suffering through GB's hysterics and the Evil Musketeers' machinations figure out ES is still alive and it will be early summer by the time everyone gets their come uppance but I couldn't wait so, thank you for your dedication and hard work here because you saved me MONTHS of frustration and gave me an early Christmas present and I have to put in my two cents because this drama even kept me away from 6 Flying Dragons and Oh My Venus (which I'm sure has the people on those forums happy...)...  THESE PEOPLE ARE ALL NUTS and no one in this drama has clean hands, okay, maybe some are worse than others but none of them are people I would want to call friends and for most of the drama GB has just struck me as unstable... and how much pain can one guy, MH, endure...  wasn't he the same actor who played the guy who didn't get Hana in AWRDH or some other drama I recently watched?  I'm going to spare you my OCD and not list their "sins" by character but if GB was supposed to be the protagonist here the writers failed miserably.  I never found myself liking her.  I didn't despise her like I did YR and company but I could never find anything sympathetic about her, or realistic about her 10-year search for her mother...  The most "likeable" character, in my opinion, was MH because he acted with dignity most of the time while his world was crumbling around him and never got involved in the blood-lust that was consuming all the characters around him while he lost his father, his mother, the woman he loved, his grandmother, aunt, place in the world, family and company and, in the end, he still did the right thing and was there for his mother when everyone else had abandoned her...  He's definitely the better man and its GB's loss to not have married him but, then, maybe there will be a sequel to this mess one day in which we will see that virtue pays off even in K-drama land and MH (or rather the MH actor) will finally get the girl...

Oh, and my friend @Triton823, regarding the legalities you are correct...  If there is an extradition treaty between S. Korea and Japan, then the Dastardly Duo can be extradited to Japan to stand trial for the death of the Japanese-citizen cab driver (who has all but been forgotten in this drama...) but Japan cannot put them on trial for what they did to ES since she is a Korean citizen resident in Korea so Korea would have to press charges but I'm not sure how since the crime was not committed in the legal jurisdiction of Korea even though all the players are Koreans and I'm not sure what those charges would be... trying to force someone to emigrate?  attempted murder, or in this case, causing an accident that resulted in the loss of life of a Japanese citizen since ES is alive and well?  Japan would have to prosecute that and failing to do so Korea seems not to have any legal standing...  

Cheers and thanks again...  Happy New Year!!!  Chickpea

@chickpea, sadly I found myself disliking GB and her mother more than the other characters. The mother just played ridiculous games with people, even with her daughter and the man she supposedly loved. The writer took what could have been a good story too far into left field. In the end, MH was the only character I liked and GB and IW were the ones I disliked most.

• 2 months later...

Well the final episode aired tonight in my region and I am glad I caught it because the outcome was different from the above spoilers.  MH did not go to America with his dad, ultimately in the end he decides to stay in Korea to wait for his mother when she gets out of prison because she will have no one else.  Unless the airing in my region cut off a postcredits scene, MH was not waiting outside the prison when MY gets out.  

I thought it was an interesting drama, with a lot of twists and a lot of things going on, but I agree it got worse towards the end.  It just seemed to go way too long and things started to drag.  Like why is there 15-20 episodes of playing "Catch Me If You Can" with MY?  Then another 5-10 episodes of the trial?  Could have just ended it with just MY being apprehended.

For most of the series I felt bad for MH because he was always the most righteous of all the characters and he was the innocent victim through all these schemes, but the final quarter of the drama made me lose any feelings of pity for him.  After finding out everything, he still stood by his mom, and even tried to stall GB and ES to allow his mother to turn herself in.  But deep down he knew she lacked any decency to do that and instead would take the opportunity to run, and he would still try to protect her.  

The character I felt sorry for the most was MH's real father Kim In Soo who went to America alone without MH and will probably never return to Korea because memories haunt him.  He tried to help cover up the attempted murder when it happened and later became the trump card in ruining his son's mother to bring justice for a woman he once loved but can never be with again.

I liked that in the end ES started to realize her resilient pursuit of justice had ultimately made her become as twisted as the people responsible for the wrongdoings to her.  It was nice that in the end she and GB were able to make amends with RH and RY.

I think there are plenty of more Kdramas with much larger dips in quality towards the end so in the end I was still somewhat satisfied.

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone 

I know this is an old topic but the drama has just been aired in my country for 17 episodes.

I'm really curious about the relationship between GB and MH so i searched for some spoilers. It came out disappointing that in the end they are NOT together. And I really hate this cuz' MH is all I care about :confounded:

It's a long drama with many twists, so can someone please recap the main things happened to MH and his relationship with GB in this drama? I would appreciate it a lot lot :cry:

• 9 months later...
On 8/23/2016 at 4:43 AM, kelinguyen said:

Hi everyone 

I know this is an old topic but the drama has just been aired in my country for 17 episodes.

I'm really curious about the relationship between GB and MH so i searched for some spoilers. It came out disappointing that in the end they are NOT together. And I really hate this cuz' MH is all I care about :confounded:

It's a long drama with many twists, so can someone please recap the main things happened to MH and his relationship with GB in this drama? I would appreciate it a lot lot :cry:

Spoiler

MH's mother is found to have lied about MH being the Chairman's son (with the help of the Chairman's mom who truly thought the boy was her grandchild) causing him the loss of his relationship with GB's mom and GB to grow without a dad. Then she is found to have caused the accident in Japan after she finds out about the lie that ends up with GB's mom having amnesia and being lost for 10 years. It so happens that the man who is MH's real father and loved his mom was the one to save GB's mother and keep her with him though not romantically (he did have a crush on her).

The relationship that MH and GB had started to fall apart and basically he is kicked out although GB's mom tries to still include him. But when he tries to help his mom come forward he is misunderstood and hated on by everyone basically. Not to mention the guy that GB was dating the prosecutor got in the middle in my opinion and once GB and her mom were accepted into the house they ended up married with him also helping to help blame on his rival.

The former best friend and crazy daughter are found out and get their just deserts for running away after GB's mom was hurt (the friend was in the car with with MH's mother and lured GB and her mother to Japan in the first place blackmailed by MH's mom to help her) and leaving GB alone to wonder around Japan in search of her mother and then S. Korea before she was spotted and brought back home with the prosecutor ex and his mom to live.

In the end MH looses the woman he loved and the father that raised and I think (if I remember correctly) goes away with his real father (or he establishes a relationship with the man although the man goes back to japan) who helped to take down his mother and then he comes back after a few years (or more) and we see him waiting at the prison doors for his mother to come out and they walk away together talking and having a moment.

GB is pregnant or has had kids and everyone else is living well. No one even thinking of MH in the end.

5 hours ago, Bayu Pratama said:

Anyone have the english sub? Im looking forward for this series from last year

Sorry, I do not think there are subs in English and if there are they would be region locked on some sites. You can do a google search to see which sites may have it with English subs. There should be recaps in this thread from when the drama aired you would just have to scroll through unfortunately or someone may have done a recap online in a blog. 

Archived