[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

Hello again, I have calmed down from ranting after a 20 minute nap. Must be the pms (always blaming pms for my mood swings lololol). Let's all stay hopeful and just believe that everything the writer is doing is for intentional purposes. we may not understand it now, but we will later! After all, the majority of the episodes were pretty heart wrenching right?? If every episode was as well developed and put together as the first 10 (or 11 cuz SunBora made out LOOOL) then it would be too perfectly good to be true. These were only 2 relatively slow episodes out of the 20. Let's have faith in them, knowing that the script was already finished before it even started airing, the must be on to something in the bigger picture. I guess the charm of this drama is not knowing what to expect at all! From what we've seen, the episodes almost ALWAYS disprove what we're thinking of when we watch the previews! :) 

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since it's going to be Christmas when the next episode airs can we pls pls pls get some good scenes?? 

Like you know...

I.  Some movement on the JH/TK /DS loveline? I dont care anymore who confesses first or acts first but please!!!!! Someone needs to do something!:(

2. SW/BR, can we stop with the banmal argument already? And if BR is going to break up with SW to take the bar exam then please don't drag this out either. Bora is not someone who dilly dallies...

3. How about more love for DR? Cant he have a nice family dinner too like the other kids do with their own families? 

My main complaint about the past 2 week's episdoes is that the balance between the story telling on the parents and the kids is skewed. I would have been a happieer camper if we saw some movement on the triangle loveline this week but i guess i will just have to trust that the writer has it all planned out in the coming weeks...

33 minutes ago, Nikkaquarian said:

Can anyone explain to me why Bora has to breakup with SW? can't she just explain to him that she needs to study and that they can't meet for a while so that she can focus? its not that difficult °^°

She could but I cant see SW being happy with that since he will see her in the neighbourhood and yet not be able to spend time with her. Even if they dont breakup at first they are bound to have arguments because BR will see it as SW being immature and only wanting to spend time as a couple and not thinking about the future whereas SW will see it as BR not caring enough about their relationship. Of course we all hope that they will not breakup but let me tell you the bar exam is no joke and in places like Korea and Japan, a marginal percentage of people who take the bar exam pass...probably less than 10%. With Bora's personality I cant see her not wanting to spend all her time on studying. 

20 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

Yep, coz you know, who would want to richard simmons that maybe? Ha ha

Maybe JH should have thought about him in the alley.... Muahhahahahha

[I am trying to lighten the mood in a lame way]

HAHAHAHAA..... as a kid I used to prance around whenever his exercise show used to come on TV.... First , RS taught my mom how to make a fruit smoothie and now he protects her daughter from not showing her guttermouth on Soompi....hahahaha......

I loved this episode. I loved it. I loved it. I loved it. 

Deok Sun, you go girl. Did you guys see her quick to take action and handle the situation in the room with the girl? I loved that while everyone was starring at a lose of what to do, Deok Sun was boss. She knew what to do and told the others what to do so rumors and such don't spread. I love that despite appearances we can see that she is very capable and able if only she would apply her self. I think like a normal teenager (I wasn't sure what I wanted to be till sophomore year of college) she just doesn't know what she want to do in life (and she's sucks at studying) so she just hasn't found something to put real passion and effort into. However, I believe if she really tries at something, she will do what it takes (even if it's hard and she's not the best at it) and show effort in accomplishing it (she fell asleep studying but she's trying). I think she can grow to become and actress and if she tries really really hard (yo why doesn't she study with Junghwan or Sunwoo who are good at it and smart enough to tutor her...) she could become a doctor or nurse or pediatrician or whatever field or area of the medical profession she wants. She's really good at keeping calm in situations others panic at.

My precious Bong hyung, let me love you. Can he please give his younger brother some tips (or maybe not considering the two were right above and below each other but kept missing each other) on how to successfully woo and date a girl. I was a grinning fool the whole segment of his storyline. He looked so good in that stripped shirt and brown coat. Him waiting at the table nervously with the roses...my heart fluttered. Then he stood outside in the freezing cold for hours waiting for her. Why is he so perfect? The fact that he had hope or knowing that she would eventually come so he didn't move, is heart fluttering but also only some richard simmons that can happen in a drama. It was cold as a witches tit outside LOL. After a hour or so, homeboy shoulda left. No dude is going to stand waiting in that weather for that long even after shop has closed, lights off, everyone go home...nope! I know I would not LOL. I love you my Bong hyung cause even though I rolled my eyes, it's totally you and why I love you so :wub:

Sunwoo's story broke me :tears::tears::tears: My throat gets closed up just thinking about it. Talking to his ghost dad this whole time :tears::tears::tears: My goodness the heart ache of loosing the dad he obviously loved so much admired and longed for. The tie in with Taek's dad and possibly taking his place. Having to learn to become okay with that and then when he let his father go *wails* That last scene, that last scene...*sniffle* when the camera pans over the pictures with his dad *bawls* Why do you do this to me show...Just keep chopping my heart with the machete of feels. I'm not okay but I love the pain :tears:

I can't believe with all the awesome characters (everyone of them. Everyone. No one is wasted or dull. Everyone gets their shine...expect for Dong Ryeong :() developments (a bit slow on the teen triangle front) story lines, family, friendship, love and just so much that the writers and production pack into an episode; people continue to focus too much on the OTP. To each their own in what they want to enjoy or not while watching a drama, but this drama has more to offer than just who Deok Sun is going to marry. It kind of irks when one comes on the main thread and it's mostly ship ship ship (this goes for both sides of the equation). We are all free to discuss whatever we want about an episode, I understand this. I also understand that I can simply bring up a new topic and hope others follow or just scroll by. However when you keep having to scroll and scroll and scroll and it feels like no matter what is brought up the majority brings it back to shipping...:vicx: it's all good to me (in 4 weeks it's bye to this fictional block) but I am sensing bitterness and slight hostility (damn these writers for making us love these characters to this degree LOL) that is making it not that much fun here (as in being cautious on what one says simply to not accidentally step on anyones toes). I know I can leave if it's not fun (boy am I contradicting myself here LOL) but I enjoy sharing, discussing, and reading on the whole of this drama. I enjoy reading on everyone's OTPs (even when I don't agree or think someone is plain wrong) but some things would be better discussed on a shipper thread.

TL;DR: The episode was very well done. Deok Sun is all shades of awesome. Sunwoo's story is a heart breaker. Some things should be left in/to shipper threads.

Finished watching Episode 14!

And... I'm going to say an unpopular opinion here. I loved today's episode! Once I got over the disappointment that today's episode wasn't going to cover the love triangle, I watched it with an open mind. And I must agree with the Korean netizens- the story is very well done today.

I don't like grandiose stories. This is why I preferred the subtle touching moment of JH's mom's passport episode to yesterday's DS's mom cancer scare episode.

And I loved the many quiet moments in today's episode... 

1. DS's parents sharing to BR about how they never forgave themselves for how BR had to give up her dream of going to law school and now that the debts are paid off, they want to fully support BR so that she can go for her dream however long it takes. 

2. I loved the moment where SW slowly realized that he had to let his dad go and that his dad would have just wished for his mom to be happy.  He doesn't have to feel guilty/sorry to his dad about his mom's re-marriage.

3. I loved how despite DS feeling that she is not loved, everyone already knows what a good, smart girl DS is. When there was an epileptic girl in class, her homeroom teacher intentionally partnered her up to sit next to DS because she trusted that DS would be able to take care of the situation.

4. I loved how even though JB had been waiting for Mi Ok for hours, he lied to her that he just got there so that she wouldn't feel bad. (What a sweetheart!)

5. My heart broke for Taek when DS told him that she knows he never liked anyone. How heartbreaking it must be for Taek when the girl he likes says that to his face!

6. I loved how much the Kim brothers love each other. When JH found out that JB was going on a date, he worried for his brother saying that he needs to go to college and shouldn't be wasting time dating. Or how when JB gave him a movie poster for his birthday, he put it up proudly on his door.

7. I loved that despite not showing it, JH treated the pink shirt gift from DS so preciously, hanging it on a hanger right across from where he can see from his bed.

8. I loved DR's advice to DS. He already knows that Taek likes DS. He could have tried to encourage DS to like Taek. But no, to him, all of his friends are important to him, including DS. And so he advises DS that who likes her is not important. It's how she feels and who she likes that is important. DR, let me love you!

@MrsSoJiSub and @blue_angel_1004 I am totally with you both here!  :wub:

As for Bora dn SW, yes it is true that they don't have to break up. I hope they don't. But Bora did mention that if she were to take an exam, they could not be together. I also think she is thinking about that after her parents tell her to study for the bar exam. I truly hope they make it work though.

Hi guys! I am one of those who find episode 13 and 14 great, albeit rather dragged. I have been silent reader for other Kdrama blog and just recently started to read Soompi because I discovered that the discussion and theories you all shared are very interesting. It feels good to be among other fangirls. I feel like I have to write something, otherwise I will burst from all these feelings from watching the latest installment of my favourite Kdrama franchise.:confounded: I'm sorry if this post is rather long. It's just, after Answer Me 1997, and then Answer Me 1994, I became more selective in watching Kdramas, and often dropped a lot of titles despite of huge/ popular names, because I felt that those dramas are lacking the heart-warming and down to earth trademark of the series. AM series hit close to my heart and oh ... the nostalgia of the 80s and 90s... I am more of the millennium generation, but I find the references of pop cultures in those eras quite familiar.

So this is an ode to Taek's character. I will not lie. I am leaning more towards TK - DS pairing since early episode, even before I know who PBG is. Posting here about my preference of male lead to be DS's husband is a bit unnerving since majority of you are shipping other pairings, and the ship wars itself have spilled  lots of blood in the past since the era of AM 1994. However, I believe that Soompi readers are open minded and smart fans who can take opinion with a grains of humour. But this post is more about Taek as a character and why I love him so much. :blush:

I play baduk since high school and it's always interesting for me to see how go game and go player are portrayed in pop cultures. That's why I am intrigued when I noticed the first time that Taek is a Pro at Go. I don't play that well, and even then, I know how hard it is to be professional go player, let alone one who wins title in international match. The amount of dedication and discipline, rigorous training, etc, those side backgrounds imo are described pretty well within the series. That's why I feel that it is quite understandable (lol) when Taek got very limited screen time in the beginning despite of his arc as one of the 5 best friends. It's to show that he has another side of his life which is like the world to him.

I really appreciate the writer for gradually peeling his character a layer by layer, so that his arc is more than just that cute guy who plays baduk. His inner struggle and dedication are shown in a way that I can see him as a real person, a young sensei in the baduk club who is a bit introverted and clumsy, yet hold so much depth. I love how my most favourite board game is not just portrayed as side thingy, but instead it's persistently mentioned in each episode as an important aspect of the story as it is an important aspect of Taek's life. I really really appreciate it. As a character, Taek is different. He has only few screen times in earlier episodes, but just then when he shows up, I feel like he keeps stealing my attention.

The way the writer and director showed the viewers how important Taek in his best friends' life is not told but shown: for example - how the neighbours rejoice in celebration, continuously ask Taek's dad about the result of the match, how 4 friends treated Taek's room practically as their second home show how close they are. I love it when writer trusts the reader enough to just let the hints dropped bit by bit, so even though in the beginning Taek got only a little screen time I did not find it surprising when he is revealed as the husband contender.

This is an appreciation for AM 1998 writer to again, create interesting and fresh character such as Taek. Even if he does not get the girl in the end, I still find the way the writer and director fleshed out his character up to episode 14 is beyond charming. I really wish to see similar development of curious character that will grow on us like how Taek does in the show.

Now about the shipping war, I can totally understand the feels of frustration that most have from watching ep 13-14, especially in regards of the passivity of one male contender, or the lack of progress in the love arc, too few screen time, etc. I feel that too when my inner thinking or rationale does not go in sync with the characters I empathise with. I get it. It's because we are emotionally connected with the character and it's a sign that the show does a great job in conveying the story. In previous episodes, sometimes I skimmed quickly to the part I like to find immediate clarification, and then I will watch back from beginning without any disruption.

It's also good to respect other people's opinion and feelings since we are all human and we have our own perspective and preference. For example, I have a prior interest with baduk so I am quickly drawn to Taek's character. It's just a big bonus that his character development is one of the finest in Kdrama arcs. So even if JH's arc is a repetitive narrative in Kdrama story, so what? You still find it heart warming, and butterfly in the tummy inducing. It's great. So instead of too much focusing on the husband mystery, let's rejoice in the bigger ship together, which is a story of love, friendship, and family.

I just finished watching the raw episode... 

I found what I need, it's heartfelt story, and character development. I got my eyes so teary 4times in this episode... I just can't help but praise the editing, how they put the bgm at the perfect timing. Not too slow or too fast but exactly when our emotions on its peak level, these scenes got me teary :

1. When Sung Dad finally tells Mom their debt has been paid off, I feel all relieved and also so sad recalling back all those times the family should deal with it. Maybe bec my family has been through same situation, I can feel them. 

2. Sunwoo finally realized there is something he should let go and another thing he should accept, both same important things. I freaked out the fact the scene made as if he's talking with his dead-daddy but when I finally tried to listen, their last convo is just heartbreaking but comforting at the same time, I can't help but crying with sunwoo. 

3. When the class-president's mom hug DS, the bgm here played a huge part. for most of the times I adore duksun just for the way she is, but this time I feel even more proud that I like this girl. Her character is really well balanced, well made. All the compassion she has for people around her, I am admiring Duksun and Miran Mom in this series, and somehow I found they're pretty similar in some part. 

4. And last, maybe this is just bec my December blues, my most emotional time of the year, that I got so teary seeing Junghwan just defeatedly looking at his pink shirt hanging in front of him. When flashback shows, I really feel nervous, knowing how much he cares for his bro, but he shows me a little cute dongsaeng knows how to treasure another important thing. And when he answered him with "andwae" I smiled with my tears at its brim.. 

Spoiler

Maybe I should wrote this paragraph in shipper thread, I don't mean to offend anyone. But watching this episode makes me realized that how DS's and JH's character is very beautifully made, their compassion, their kindness, their warmth are their special merit. It's not always about who's smart, who's pretty or handsome but these two are so lovable on their own. I would be so sad if they're not marrying each other, because their souls are perfect fits for each other.

22 minutes ago, shooastrid said:

Hi guys! I am one of those who find episode 13 and 14 great, albeit rather dragged. I have been silent reader for other Kdrama blog and just recently started to read Soompi because I discovered that the discussion and theories you all shared are very interesting. It feels good to be among other fangirls. I feel like I have to write something, otherwise I will burst from all these feelings from watching the latest installment of my favourite Kdrama franchise.:confounded: I'm sorry if this post is rather long. It's just, after Answer Me 1997, and then Answer Me 1994, I became more selective in watching Kdramas, and often dropped a lot of titles despite of huge/ popular names, because I felt that those dramas are lacking the heart-warming and down to earth trademark of the series. AM series hit close to my heart and oh ... the nostalgia of the 80s and 90s... I am more of the millennium generation, but I find the references of pop cultures in those eras quite familiar.

So this is an ode to Taek's character. I will not lie. I am leaning more towards TK - DS pairing since early episode, even before I know who PBG is. Posting here about my preference of male lead to be DS's husband is a bit unnerving since majority of you are shipping other pairings, and the ship wars itself have spilled  lots of blood in the past since the era of AM 1994. However, I believe that Soompi readers are open minded and smart fans who can take opinion with a grains of humour. But this post is more about Taek as a character and why I love him so much. :blush:

I play baduk since high school and it's always interesting for me to see how go game and go player are portrayed in pop cultures. That's why I am intrigued when I noticed the first time that Taek is a Pro at Go. I don't play that well, and even then, I know how hard it is to be professional go player, let alone one who wins title in international match. The amount of dedication and discipline, rigorous training, etc, those side backgrounds imo are described pretty well within the series. That's why I feel that it is quite understandable (lol) when Taek got very limited screen time in the beginning despite of his arc as one of the 5 best friends. It's to show that he has another side of his life which is like the world to him.

I really appreciate the writer for gradually peeling his character a layer by layer, so that his arc is more than just that cute guy who plays baduk. His inner struggle and dedication are shown in a way that I can see him as a real person, a young sensei in the baduk club who is a bit introverted and clumsy, yet hold so much depth. I love how my most favourite board game is not just portrayed as side thingy, but instead it's persistently mentioned in each episode as an important aspect of the story as it is an important aspect of Taek's life. I really really appreciate it. As a character, Taek is different. He has only few screen times in earlier episodes, but just then when he shows up, I feel like he keeps stealing my attention.

The way the writer and director showed the viewers how important Taek in his best friends' life is not told but shown: for example - how the neighbours rejoice in celebration, continuously ask Taek's dad about the result of the match, how 4 friends treated Taek's room practically as their second home show how close they are. I love it when writer trusts the reader enough to just let the hints dropped bit by bit, so even though in the beginning Taek got only a little screen time I did not find it surprising when he is revealed as the husband contender.

This is an appreciation for AM 1998 writer to again, create interesting and fresh character such as Taek. Even if he does not get the girl in the end, I still find the way the writer and director fleshed out his character up to episode 14 is beyond charming. I really wish to see similar development of curious character that will grow on us like how Taek does in the show.

Now about the shipping war, I can totally understand the feels of frustration that most have from watching ep 13-14, especially in regards of the passivity of one male contender, or the lack of progress in the love arc, too few screen time, etc. I feel that too when my inner thinking or rationale does not go in sync with the characters I empathise with. I get it. It's because we are emotionally connected with the character and it's a sign that the show does a great job in conveying the story. In previous episodes, sometimes I skimmed quickly to the part I like to find immediate clarification, and then I will watch back from beginning without any disruption.

It's also good to respect other people's opinion and feelings since we are all human and we have our own perspective and preference. For example, I have a prior interest with baduk so I am quickly drawn to Taek's character. It's just a big bonus that his character development is one of the finest in Kdrama arcs. So even if JH's arc is a repetitive narrative in Kdrama story, so what? You still find it heart warming, and butterfly in the tummy inducing. It's great. So instead of too much focusing on the husband mystery, let's rejoice in the bigger ship together, which is a story of love, friendship, and family.

While Taek is not my favorite character (the Kim brothers) I like him to bits and pieces because of the reasons you listed. I enjoy his quirks and especially admire his hard work and dedication to baduk. The boy works tirelessly day and night to improve at his craft and master the levels he wants to master :wub:I really wish I was that motivated and driven at his age. Heck I wish I was driven and motivated  like him now LOL. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and own perspective as a baduk player. We're a bunch of welcoming folks (though it may not always seem like it) so please do continue to share and discuss with the rest of us.

@blue_angel_1004 I love your post. Everything you mentioned is why I enjoyed the episode so much. I had no clue that, that was the advice Dong Ryeong gave Deok Sun. Let me share in loving him too. Now if only Junghwan (He and Taek have had that talk I believe) could receive such counsel  we could get moving on some things LOL. Man I can't wait till Dong Ryeong gets another proper episode again. I really need to see him confront his mom. Also does Junghwan get hurt or some how end up in the hospital next ep? It looked like the Kims (sans Junghwan) were standing over someone's hospital bedside and I've notice my little pit bull sniffling a lot these past two episodes. 

It's Taek who's in the hospital next week, right?  Wasn't there a picture of Hyeri and PBG filming hospital scenes last week?  

DS is crying next week...

image.jpg

It's probably because of this guy right here... :bawling:

image.jpg

I don't expect any confessions by DS, Taek or JH but I do want movement.  I feel like I've watched the same scene over and over lately. I just want the husband game to be finish that like if JH doesn't end up being the husband then I can move on properly and have the chance to recover.  

I just finished watching episode 14 and guys... if you were discouraged by the comments and recaps (btw, thank you recappers!! we appreciate your work) please, don't hesitate and watch the raw. It's an AMAZING episode!! I just loved it. I loved how they show this new side of DS... honestly, this girl is so impossible-not-to-like! She's growing on me every week. The situation with her classmate and how she handled it was really moving, and then when the mother came to thank and gave her this full of emotions-hug... I couldn't help but burst into tears (by the way, I also liked the writer's detail of making her address her as DS instead of SY, because THAT gem was entirely Deok Sun being herself). She has such a good heart! and let me tell you, Hyeri is doing an amazing job by portraying this simple, yet dazzling girl. It reminded me to the first episode when she was in front of the camera trying so hard no to to cry and keep cheering up despite her dissapointment for being outcasted. 

I also loved the scene where SW was crying for his dad... it's so relatable in many ways, and SO REAL. Man, they're doing a great work with these characters.

Way to go JB! Their almost-date was hilarious! and I can't believe Richard Marx's "Right here waiting" would make me LOL this much. Well done production! 

JungHwan-ah... I still love you so much! I have faith in the writer! :D 

Great episode, please don't miss it!

This has been my reaction to the last couple episodes:

1) Realize early on that they're not going to tackle the love triangle in this episode. Be mildly disappointed. "Well, this is a family-oriented drama after all." Grumble, grumble.

2) What the heck, someone is sick or dying all of a sudden? Groan and roll my eyes.

3) By the mid-point of the episode, already engrossed into the show. "Ah-ha, so that was the purpose of the plot device. I'm fine with it now. Good writing and character development."

4) Find myself checking to see how many more minutes are left in the show. "Okay, there's 35 minutes left. Subtract 5 minutes for the preview, and we have only 30 minutes left. Dang."

5) By the end of the episode, everything is beautifully tied together based on the specific title and theme of the episode. Be very satisfied.

6) Watch the preview at the end, and immediately disregard it. Fool me once, shame on you...

Part 1: A bit late today, sorry~

JH's mom starts to iron their clothes in the morning but can't really do anything because the cord is too short. When she comes out of the room to throw the iron away, she's greeted by JH's dad following a new dance from a comedy show. JH's mom's complains that he should stop watching tv all day. He asks her not to throw the iron away, you can still use it anyway. Just then, JH comes out of his room and his mom asks him to choose. Mom or Dad? They're gonna divorce because of the iron, so he needs to choose where to stay lol He chooses his dad and to make his mom happy, JB says he would choose his mom. She gives him her wallet in response. Haha

At TK's his dad is packing fruits for everyone, saving the bananas for JJ. TK asks for one banana for DS and offers himself to go around and give the neighbors the fruits, just when DR comes in and gets his share already. He's talking and talking so to shut him up, TK's dad says he should go home quickly, his dad will be waiting. DR says that he's not even home... but he goes anyway. TK goes to JH's first and is greeted by JH's dad's Aigoo~ Mr. Choi~. TK can't answer because he doesn't know it but JH's dad teaches him. Heehee. JH comes out and TK greets him, saying they'll meet on his bday. When he's offered to stay for dinner he declines because he has to deliver the fruits to DS, leaving JH sad again. You cute little puppy. Lol.

Downstairs TK and DS sit down and he gives her the fruits and DS seems very happy to see the banana. When NL comes in too, he too is mesmerized by the banana and asks TK for 10 autographs his teacher asked for. DS nags at NL, just like she does with TK. She tells him that he ages faster than his dad and he answers that fast aging people look younger later on. Lol.

At dinner time, DS gets a new pair of shoes, tigers, and squeals in joy :) Her mom apologizes for not buying adidas or nike but DS says that most girls in class have tigers, except from MK of course. NL wants some too but his mom can just promise him to buy him some next year. They then wounder where their dad went again so their mom goes out to look for him. He comes home drunk with meat he got from his friend. His wife starts to nag again but he tells her that they don't have to worry about money that much again since his friend finally paid him back. Woohoo! DS's mom starts to cry in relief, saying that their kids won't have such a hard life again. Later, the kids hear of the good news and DS's dad gives NL money for new shoes and DS pocket money to buy a present for JH like she planned to. To BR he says that he has to talk to her. NL and DS try to listen from their room but can't hear a thing. I can't hear a thing neither lol.

7 minutes ago, GreenTeandSASHIMI said:

@shooastrid cool you played baduk in high school!! can you please explain how exactly to win, and how come it takes TK 10 hours to play sometimes? Seems to be a really difficult game, much more complex than chess?

Hi there @GreenTeandSASHIMI, nice to meet you! I started playing go when I was in high school, and still play occasionally now. I play mostly online these days, because the only go club in my area is not a real club: They are ahjussis who prefer to meet at local pub and play there. I don't drink and smoke, so it's a little bit disconcerting for me.16 years of age is a bit late to start, as the prime age to start learning for go player is very early. In the story, Taek is only highschool age yet he's already 6 Dan and beating many players of higher rank. Of course it depends on your natural talent too. I am no baduk prodigy, so yeah :P

I am sorry if this post is a bit out of topic. Anyway, to give us a bit background how special Go game is: currently computer (Artificial Intelligence) has already beaten the best human players in many different board games. Chess is one of the example. Computer now can easily beat best players with its ability to read and calculate many many steps ahead. Except for Baduk. Currently the smartest computer still nowhere close to the best mind in Go. It said: Take us few minutes to learn the game but a lifetime to master. The rule is simple, and you can self teach yourself the basic. Basically, to win a baduk game, you have to gain more territory than your opponent.

One main difference between baduk and other board games: a fight for territory without necessity to destroy the opponent. It's one striking character of the game. In order to win while playing chess, bridge or checkers one needs to take away from his rival his pieces, tricks or pawns, and to force him to surrender as a result of losing his means of playing. The aim in Baduk however is to win space, to conquer the territory on board. One can win the game without beating even one of his opponent’s stones. Conquering land is one of eternal human drives. 

The aim of a Baduk game is natural and somehow reflects human being’s vital aspirations. :) 

Summing up one can say that a game of Baduk is played not only on an intellectual strategy but also on a psychological one. An engagement of all powers of mind, soul and character is required. It makes many baduk players describe some of Baduk games with one word: masterpiece.

Playing at 10 hours length for a title is not rare. The ability to read your opponent's move many-many steps ahead is crucial in Go. It is said that Lee Chang Ho, the real Go Pro whom Taek character is said to be based on, has one of the best reading ability. Normal friendly go game can take up to 1 hour - 3 hours. Because the stake is higher, title match is usually longer. They sometimes stop the game mid play, and continue on the next day. The rules differ from one match to another.

Taek is constantly exhausted and tired, and it's understandable as Go requires different level of concentration and inner strength. However, he needs to learn balancing different dimensions of his life. He is still very young after all. I hope the series will show the middle ground where he is able to put his passion, work, and personal life in a more balanced situations. 

I hope this answers your question! :blush:

Archived