[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

9 minutes ago, fictionista said:

I've had enough of the love triangle and enough of JH's casual brush offs. I hope next time it's DS who brushes him off instead. The feminist in me wants that right now. I could probably bear it if there was some movement in the Taek-DS'S loveline at least. But nah what we got again was more SW-BR and more angst from JH. This is ridiculous. A perfect way to ruin a good show which had kept up its momentum till now. At least make BR and SW break up or something. I mean nothing significant has happened since episode 10 after Taek's confession and JH's 'Hajima' unless we count JB-Maggie Cheung date+kiss.

DS, girl you deserve better.

Oh yea.. this week episodes got me frustrated as far as the 'love -lines goes. I didn't mind yesterday's whole "dad -superman" theme, infact I loved it... but today's episode was richard simmons richard simmons.... first of all why couldn't they put SW and his appa story as a part of yesterday's episode (considering the familiarity with the theme) and  then with the good ol' now boring love triangle.... I mean if you really wanna stretch it out till the last episode then at least add some NEW people to that triangle.... like dating other people..... something more than the claustrophobic trio.. The BEST part of today was uri JB oppa getting his gal and KISS... to hell with those hormone laden -teenage boys.... DS go ahead and date guys who actually have the balls to say that you look cute.... don't waste time on these nincompoops who go on kicking patio furniture and cutesy touching you hair (taek)....

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, blue_angel_1004 said:

Honestly, I think when the text preview says she is in dilemma, part of it also has to do with SW. Even at the thought of studying for the CPA exam, BR said she can't do two things at once (date and study for the exam) and so SW should consider himself lucky that she's not preparing to take the CPA exam. 

Bar admission exam in Korea is extremely competitive and has a low passing rate. If she is aiming to take the bar exam, I don't see BR continuing to date SW.  ㅠㅠ

Ahh..then it will be good then. =)))

On 12/19/2015 at 7:13 AM, fictionista said:

I've had enough of the love triangle and enough of JH's casual brush offs. I hope next time it's DS who brushes him off instead. The feminist in me wants that right now. I could probably bear it if there was some movement in the Taek-DS'S loveline at least. But nah what we got again was more SW-BR and more angst from JH. This is ridiculous. A perfect way to ruin a good show which had kept up its momentum till now. At least make BR and SW break up or something. I mean nothing significant has happened since episode 10 after Taek's confession and JH's 'Hajima' unless we count JB-Maggie Cheung date+kiss.

DS, girl you deserve better.

I'm starting to feel that too.  JH shape up please.  I don't really ship DS with Taek either, so it's not that.  She needs someone she loves who loves her in return.  She has that in JH, but she doesn't deserve to be treated like she is.  I know people argued that she was not hurting, but I don't see how anyone can argue that now.  And I'm not sure how I will take it if he actually does date around.... ugh.  Nah, man there are other guys out there.  His previous actions, though swoon worthy, are not worth the trouble he's causing now.  

DS needs to go live her own life and find her own dreams.   And I agree all the couples are very stagnant.  BR/SW as well even if they are together are doing the same crap.  Did they have the informal speech argument this episode? lol.  Save it again for next week... 

Seems like the slowness of triangle is ruining the show.

There's no hint and no movement at all.

Sorry, but dont blame SW-BR for the short of JH's scene or the triangle's development. Since the main theme of Reply88 is about family and neighborhood. And it's the writer problem when she cant connect these three with the main plot and make their influence blur by episodes while BR-SW still remain with their strong connection with family problems.

I am honestly disappoint with my fellow Reply watcher.. Y'all say... "Uh boring episode..", "WTH is this", "SWxBR boring", "where is MY JUNGWHAN?", "Nothing happen", ..etc...

Before you sign to watch this drama... you guys already know :

1. The PD and writer.. how they made reply 1994 to be draggy and messy.. what are you expecting ?

2. Taek has less screentime compare to Junghwan when he's one of the husband contender ... Because junghwan had less screen time in ONLY 1 episode.. it's boring ?

3. It's family-theme drama, not rom-com. Thus what makes 88 different then 97, and 94, it has more characters,  more families, and more stories to tell... everyone is the main character so there is nothing called FILLER SCENE...

4. Stop with all the complain of "my poor ship.. JHxDSxTK is going nowhere ..." or everyone is happy except the main couple TT ".  I fully know this fact and also sad because of it but.., if you wanna make the thread full of your crying, I suggest just go to your respective couple thread..

Sorry if someone feels offended by this post.. I just say what I have to say to make this thread back to what it used to... peaceful and natural..

It's sad how SW is talking to his dad. It must be so hard letting go. It was a slow process but I think SW is more accepting now. 

I don' expect anything out of the triangle and I don't really care now. There is still 6 episodes remaining with 1 hour 30 mins or so airtime so I am sure a lot will be crammed there. I'm happy fantasizing with my ship. JH misery is all on his own making. And I approve DR's advice.

Guest wizengamot

AND WE'RE TALKING ABOUT ALMOST TWO-HOUR EPISODE!!!! I think this time is enough to develop the family and the love line but what on earth is this?!!!!

200_s_zpsemgu9z0v.gif

to the staffs *kidding but not really*

tumblr_mdglkiIhKO1rp11mn_zpsc0sprmm4.gif

tumblr_inline_mfjp36JVnd1qjtfvh_zps3vmwi

Guest shinraemii

I don't want any extension for this drama. More episodes mean more angst and more frustrations for the viewers. The story will be dragged longer. There are still 6 episodes and each episodes is more than an hour, at least an hour and a half. That will be enough to settle everything. Actually, it's more than enough. If you're used to watch dramas with only 11 or 12 episodes, you know what I mean.

17 minutes ago, HealingUnicorn said:

I am honestly disappoint with my fellow Reply watcher.. Y'all say... "Uh boring episode..", "WTH is this", "SWxBR boring", "where is MY JUNGWHAN?", "Nothing happen", ..etc...

1. The PD and writer.. how they made reply 1994 to be draggy and messy.. what are you expecting ?

2. Taek has less screentime compare to Junghwan when he's one of the husband contender ... Because junghwan has less screen time in ONLY 1 episode.. it's boring ?

3. It's family-theme drama, not rom-com. Thus what's make 88 different then 97, and 94, it has more characters,  more family, and more story to tell... everyone is the main character so there is nothing called FILLER SCENE...

4. Stop with all the complain of "my poor ship.. JHxDS is going nowhere ..." or everyone is happy except the main couple TT ".  I fully know this fact and also sad because of it but.., if you wanna make te thread full of your crying, I suggest just go to your respective couple thread..

Sorry if someone feels offend by this post.. I just say what I have to say to make this thread back to what it used to... peaceful and natural..

1.  Nothing, but it's good to know they still like to drag richard simmons out

2.  Yeah, no. JH has been MIA at least 4 episodes doing nothing. TK even more. He's gone most of the time. 

3.  lol this reasoning though.  There is plenty of romance going on for everyone BUT JH/DS.  And no, everyone is not the main character.  See DR, who I would actually love to see more of instead of more SW or BR. 

4.  Did we lie? Everyone else is developing  but the main couple.  And we don't have to go to the couple thread really.  

And sorry, I don't get how people can't understand our frustrations.  IT's cool the things you like are going smoothly, but the things we like (and JH's screen time) is not.   There will be no peace until things improve sadly.  At least we aren't arguing about the ships! 

All i watch and wish for is Bora, and her relationship and her related things. 

Everyone has a main character for themselves. It's sad to hear those complaints but if you put it in reality.

one-sided love like the triangle of Duksun, always needs a lots of hints and progress slowly. It fits the theme of the drama, somehow its realistic. Taek's dad and Sunwoo's omma, it's suitable for the story line, they're still no where but friends too. 

5 episodes too come. I hope no one will say why the story line will go fast when it's real time for everything to process after those hints and frustration DS, JH, TK get. 

So.. 

We have stories about :

1. how JH's family got rich

2. Bora's trouble with the law

3. the discovery of first love/crush  which did not work out (SW-DS)

4. the realisation of a first love/crush (JH-DS)

5. the reality of Taek's life (full of competitions and pressure - thank god for his friends)

6. confessions of the romantic kind ( Taek ; SW to Bora)

7. Sung family - mom and dad about how difficult it is to be poor.

8. SW's attempt to be the man of the household and how he may not be able to be fully responsible as he is still a student. Now Taek's dad and Taek may enter their lives.

9. the ommas bonding outside their homes

10. how men (JH, JB and Kim appa) are able to survive (messily) when the omma is away.

11. romantic overtures which seem to go over DS's head (from both Taek and JH)

12. DR and his troubles with his parents - who didn't realise that he had actually run away from home (which is sad actually)

13. How strong appas can become weak when family is involved (Sung appa and Choi appa) 

14. romantic interactions between JB and MO, love story of SW and Bora and to an extent Choi appa and SW's omma.

15. Seeing how DS may not be book smart but she has a heart of gold (seen from her trip to China with Taek and how she treats her friends and her protectiveness over her brother)

So...I just wonder when we can progress to......the story between JH-DS-Taek? 

And....I am seriously missing the adult/older versions (haven't seen Ep 14 but I assume that they did not appear) 

6 minutes ago, HealingUnicorn said:

2. Taek has less screentime compare to Junghwan when he's one of the husband contender ... Because junghwan has less screen time in ONLY 1 episode.. it's boring ?

3. It's family-theme drama, not rom-com. Thus what's make 88 different then 97, and 94, it has more characters,  more family, and more story to tell... everyone is the main character so there is nothing called FILLER SCENE...

4. Stop with all the complain of "my poor ship.. JHxDSxTK is going nowhere ..." or everyone is happy except the main couple TT ".  I fully know this fact and also sad because of it but.., if you wanna make te thread full of your crying, I suggest just go to your respective couple thread..

Sorry if someone feels offend by this post.. I just say what I have to say to make this thread back to what it used to... peaceful and natural..

I cant agree more. to be honest, this has to be one of my most favorite episode. and SW-BR scene is not boring at all. all of this time we see sunwoo as a perfect model student, ideal son etc, but in this episode we got to see his weakness and insecurity. and the way BR console him is so endearing. I love this couple.

and DR, oh goshhhhh could he be any more awesome?????

I GET IT ! the whole 'Love triangle'  will be dragged till the very end ( a Reply series speciality)... but, I'm not complaining about it. I don't mind if they reveal the husband , like it has always been , in the Finale episode. But, at least move the plot beyond this cooped up triangle. Bring in some new people... gals /guys... whatever suits the love palate and show any of these three (JH/DS/Taek) dating outside this narrow alley... let there be heart broken , many a times, tears, angst, jealousy....anything...BUT give us (the audience) some NEW emotions other than APPREHENSION & FRUSTRATION....... That's all we want for those 4 hours of the week we spend anticipating..... no one is asking PD/writer-nim to resolve the 'husband puzzle' anytime soon... That is TvN's USP for ratings... Fine.. I get all that.... but, if the decided route is melo...then make it more INTERESTING.... add some silly love antics.....some tension face-face... not by putting awkwardness in different frames.... That's we the audience want... something that will keep us awake at nights speculating the next week episode...rather than pouting "seen that , done that, what's new..nothing" sarcasm.... ARE you listening .. uri Reply crew???

Thank you for the recaps.  I am waiting for @lelee's translation as usual.  Thank you @lelee in advance.

I am fast losing interest in the OTP's loveline to be honest.  While I still like their characters, but dragging out the story is annoying.

JB's character really shines through this episode.  Such loyal, steadfastness.  He will make an amazing husband.

I thought I'd like SW with Taek's appa but their loveline also bores me now.  

Many things seems like just fillers to drag out the mystery till the last episode.  While I understand the reply series really mean to touch our hearts and make us cry, I hope they will balance the sad with some funny cute and sweetness.   Ep 13 and !4 has really been disappointing.  It is just all sad and the conflicts are so random. 

Guest nchoerunnisa
1 hour ago, fictionista said:

Dear Deok sunnie, you might as well become a Buddhist nun and join a monastery. The two guys who like you are literally the slowest movers in the romance department. At this point, you might as well date Dong Ryong. Arrrrrggggghhhh.

I bet PD-nim will milk the love triangle related angst till episode 20. :angry:

Actually, I have no problem with TK. I know some of us feel frustrated too because TK hasn't done anything much since he confessed his feeling for DS. His confession was unprepared, unplanned, he just answered what was asked to him... and he confessed in front of the boys not DS. His priority is baduk right now. So I kinda understand if he hasn't done anything to swoon DS. Unless he confessed to DS, but then ignores her or does nothing for her I would be mad at him.

My problem is with JH. I love you JH. I really really love you. But you hurt my girl!!!

After all swoon worthy things he's done for her... After all signals he sent to her... After he asked her to think about why he did everything he did for her... the girl finally likes him back... and now he avoids her... you confuses the girl!!! Urrrgh... for God's sake...

I know he does it because he loves TK. But I don't believe, not even for a second, an observant and sensitive guy like him hasn't notice that DS likes him back. He has to think about the girl too. She's hurting too...

And him being indecisive will do no good for anyone. TALK!!! Taek deserves to know this whole situation. Let DS chooses for herself. Stop handling everything on your own. Your childhood friends have grown up. Just trust them. Share your burden.

And by talk, I mean real talk. Stop speaking in code. It's not like you're secret agent.

At this rate I don't care whether DS will end up with JH, TK, the random guy from episode 13, or alone. At least for right now. I just want the girl to be cherished, loved, and adored because she deserves it. But if it's better for her to be alone so be it. I want her channeling her broken heart into study. Just focus on your dream, forget that frustrating boy, and live your life.

I love my cutie pie... but he sure still got so many things to learn...

Why am I so upset? It's just a drama anyway... LOL

Who is the main couple really? OTP kisses for main couple? Who? 

I think the writer overcompensated. 1994 was a mess with the lovelines and the reply team got criticized for it. So she overcompensated with this one and made the triangle frustratingly slow to move. 

On the other hand I could see that SW mama and TK daddy could be married after timeskip. BR-SW will probably break up. And I really hope DS dad could get his stuff together. Him buying unnecessary things while they are poor is very annoying.

TK is very dedicated to baduk and he is shown to practice really hard to be they very best. Will he let things go, get tired of the game, losses a lot? Right now while JH is busy with his self inflicted misery, TK is busy with being the best in his career. But how long can TK be the best? 

While I agree with the Reply 1988 is family drama but I think we should not forget PD once said that "no way we will leave love line out, that is what make the show interesting". As much I love family aspect of this drama, (which makes reply 1988 sit on 1st place as the best kdrama in my heart), I wont deny I am such a sucker for love thingy. Those both are what make Reply 88 attractive. What happened in the last 4 episodes are the imbalance portion of between family and love which rarely happened in eps 3-10. This is something I actually concern with the drama plot. We have 20 eps with more than 90 minutes each, some probably think might as well watch movie.

Archived