[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

@carolinedl

You have made some really good points there. These are 18 year old kids and even if we are frustrated by the lack of development between JH and DS, we have to see how JH may be afraid to hurt someone (considering that he is not 100% sure that DS likes him as well) And this is not a random guy which he can take revenge by pushing them in the men's loo , it's Taekie! 

I have faith in the PD as each episode is 90 minutes in length. A lot can be covered. Whether or not DS accepts or rejects Taek's confession, someone is going to get hurt and we then can move on to the next stage (whether it is a time-jump or not) 

After skimming through Ep 14, we do see more of JH, DS and Taek and the other people in the neighbourhood. And I second DR's advice - (if I get this right) he said it's not who likes you but who you like {? - correct me if I am wrong} DR is a really wise guy so I suppose the adult books and videos helped (hahahaha)

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, nikkisjs said:

I think they'll save up for DS' and BR's studies, then consider moving out...? :/

Thanks, anyway~:)

Remember last week's episode when DS complained that their house was too cold and she want to move out? His appa said, "wait a little longer, we almost pay our debt" perhaps they will move out after DS enter a college? 

6 minutes ago, dinhie said:

Remember last week's episode when DS complained that their house was too cold and she want to move out? His appa said, "wait a little longer, we almost pay our debt" perhaps they will move out after DS enter a collage? 

But what happened to the map thingy? lol, Yeah, I think they may move out after paying for DS/BR's studies. Noeul still has a year left~

36 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

I love the bromance between Taek and SW! 

I also can't get over the fact that they were in Naeil Cantabile together and wow, the characters were totally different there. 

vlcsnap-2015-12-19-22h20m42s973_zpsr4cgm

Taek - SW - hwaiting! 

PS... for those of you who have known me since Naeil Cantabile will know how obsessed I was over Yoon Hoo (aka Park Bo Gum) :blush:

Awwwwwwww! So far PBG & KGP have been together in Neil's Cantabile, Roaring Currents, Coin Locker Girl & Reply 1988. And to think that one of them is only 21... they're practically growing up together like brothers. And awesome bromance they do exhibit both on and off screen. They're so cute together. I'm sure you may have seen this already but here's a BTS from a photoshoot during Coin Locker Girl I think:

Hope you enjoy!

I wonder.. why 동룡택 (DongRyongTaek) is trending so high in korea after episode 14 ended HAHAHAHAHAHAHA (still one of the top after several hours..)
the real OTP i guess XD

aside from that, 동룡이 and 어남류 (the husband is ryu jun yeol anyways) XDDD

i1MhlmM.png

i guess, even kor fans are frustrated with the lack of progress for two weeks / 4 episodes. it appears in the ratings too. I was expecting this week to soar high up to peak of 18% viewership but it remained at 15% like last week. XD

but yeaaaaah in the end, we're all sucked up to continue watching because yeaaaah we need closure. everyone needs closure. or else.. xD

---------

I was so in love with Jungbong today T_____T his suit was lovely damnnnn that kiss HAHAHAHAAH cheering for their loveline! hope they marry and get cute kids with braces <3

@mustardmaimai

Thanks for that video! I have Coin Locker Girl but my heart can't take what happened to Bogummy there...

Amazing actors that they have in this drama. I watched the video when they were auditioning for the roles and  Lee Dong Hwi was so funny there and PBG got into character quickly and poor RYJ was kind of bewildered at first but he already had the charisma then. 

My mom is watching the drama (upon my persistence) and she said that all the actors were not handsome/pretty (except for Bora)  - I don't take this as an insult but the fact that the actors who are playing their roles have the feel of the everyday, average person who we can relate to. I showed her a picture of PBG as his other characters in other dramas and she said that hairstyle does change a person's looks (LOL) 

@NRGchick

Thanks. It's just that someone mentioned on the JH/DS thread that they had been in a similar situation, still today, she was tanggled in a love-friendship relation with a childhood friend and that it has been going on for years. I experienced sthg similar that lasted three years and in the end, nothing happened. It was just angst, continual flirting and... nothing. You accept a lot, you do things you would not normally do, you overread everything, etc. Thinking about it now I wonder how I could let that happen for three years but at that time, you don't know how to get out of it. You can directly talk about it, but you are scared of loosing the friendship you have, you try to send hints but either he doesn't get it or he just waits like you do, soometimes you don't do anything hoping it'll just disappear... I was in my twenties then and I still had not idea what to do.

So in this sense, I can totally relate to JH and his reactions. DS has similar reactions too as well... Taek also, though he is the most proactive among the three. 

The way JH's struggle is portrayed is really great. It's frustrating because it is. It is for him too. Frankly, I am annoyed as hell but at the same time, I really feel for him. That is really how it is sometimes you know.

cant say anything about today episode anymore. it just worse than my own worst scenario.. And here i am..still see that this triangle things dont go nowhere and just stay calm on its own place. (i thought i will see TK confession today, but...what i get then?) oh my precious one week....

i dont know how many times i said this..."its okay it will move forward next week..its okay everything will get better next week...everything will be clear next week..i will see progress next week" but at the actual episode i got nothing. i wanna see more dynamic story from this triangle, but yeah seems the writer dont have any idea about it too.. I wont complain anymore about the amount of screen time, all i need is balance..a balanced episode between family, friendship, school life and love line (that everyone waiting ofc). But at the second half this drama, i am not see that balancing anymore. like i am confused again about the direction of the story.(like i dont know where i will go with this drama).

i still havent see the raw episode yet, but yeah this drama always can decrease my frustration level about love line with family story. (but i think it will be difficult for ep 13 and 14,,because it just already too much for me)..but yeah...i still love this not-perfect drama...and this is my choice to watch this drama..get frustrated by it, get happy by it, angry, smile, laughed, teary and then cry, ill take all the responsibility, thats how amazing what this drama already did to me...

Dong Ryong stole my heart today. I LOVE how he quietly knows everything. from the way he asked DS "do you like Jungpal or Sunwoo" and his SMIRK when DS can't actually answer that question. AND THANK GODDD he told her it's not about who likes you but who you like. that's what I've been wanting to tell DS all along! and by DS realizing this, it will also prove who DS really love and so people wont say "she likes him because she found out he likes her" thing.

I miss seeing the old JH (the JH before TK confessed that he likes DS) he's been sooo frustrating nowadays. I was actually really relieved when I found out that he didn't let JB wear the pink shirt from DS. but still, it's frustrating how he didnt even try to explain himself to DS and he just lay on the bed staring at the shirt. like, you can do better than that. I understand how he wants to protect TK's feeling but COME ON why would you let yourself being misunderstood by a girl you love??? why junghwan whyyyyy

13 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

@mustardmaimai

Amazing actors that they have in this drama. I watched the video when they were auditioning for the roles and  Lee Dong Hwi was so funny there and PBG got into character quickly and poor RYJ was kind of bewildered at first but he already had the charisma then. 

Hi..do you have the link for the audition? Never saw it..tq

5 minutes ago, NRGchick said:

@mustardmaimai

Thanks for that video! I have Coin Locker Girl but my heart can't take what happened to Bogummy there...

My mom is watching the drama (upon my persistence) and she said that all the actors were not handsome/pretty (except for Bora)  - I don't take this as an insult but the fact that the actors who are playing their roles have the feel of the everyday, average person who we can relate to. I showed her a picture of PBG as his other characters in other dramas and she said that hairstyle does change a person's looks (LOL) 

I completely agree with you about how they have such an everyday, ordinary feel to them. I think this makes them accessible and relatable. I have to give it to the production team for deciding to unglamorise the actors. Especially Hyeri - cause when I look at her pictures and videos from elsewhere, she looks so different as if a completely different person. I feel as though she is so committed to her role that it will really take me time to adjust to seeing her in any future drama as another character. This reminds me of how natural and believable YEH was in her Coffee Prince character and how I actually struggled with watching her in more glamorous roles.

As far as beauty is concerned, I actually find each and everyone of them very very beautiful. I do wish the moms weren't wearing wigs but I love the bowl cut on the boys. I know PBG looks very pretty in his other dramas and elsewhere in magazines and stuff, but it has hit me more strongly than ever before how much beauty means not just the outer appearance, but a combination of the outer appearance with the inner personality. I love the way Bogummie looks in this because he is so real, and now when I look at his glammed up roles elsewhere, I feel as if something is actually missing. And Hyeri, lol, the way she laughs and walks, and talks (yells) and makes faces, she presents a dorky, dense and loveable character - and after the first few eps of trying make up and thankfully giving it up - I think she looks naturally beautiful. Very very beautiful. More beautiful than when she is all dolled up.

Also, can you share the audition video if you have the link? Would greatly appreciate it! :)

@carolinedl

I think this is what is so fantastic about this drama. 

It brings back bittersweet memories of a time when we were young ( I have to say  I was a child of the 80's) - and the angst of first love - to confess or not to confess , to wait expectantly and in the end - nothing develops. The fear of wrecking a perfectly good friendship for a romance which may not end well. Been there, done that. 

The family bonds in this drama has been the strongest element of the drama and the interactions of this neighbourhood with the 5 different families living on the same street brings an understanding of life when things were simpler. Neighbours talked to one another and cared for each other, not stare suspiciously at each other or not knowing who your neighbour is. The children played together, go over to each other's homes and talked and played. Not glued to the computer screen or their tablets or phones. 

I remember life before the internet and mobile phones meant that we had to literally step outside and enjoy the fresh air and played with children in the neighbourhood. Sadly, I don't see this as much nowadays. 

@syer_87  @mustardmaimai

It was from Ep 00 - not really full on auditions but I guess when they met the PD or writer. 

First of all, I guess all of us are entitled to our opinions and we are free to agree to disagree. I'm not sure I can say I'm "disappointed" with my fellow Reply watchers for having a different opinion than me. So forgive the length of this post but I want to explain the specific reasons for my disappointment in this week's episodes.

None of us come to the Reply series with expectations of this being a makjang or regular chaebol drama or a stereotypical gender bender comedy or about a hard-working multiple part-time-jobs-working girl getting to marry the cold, prickly but hot, rich guy.

We know Reply series focuses on youth, romance, and individual characters and character growth in general. And the writer and PD pay attention to fleshing out specific everyday and commonplace scenarios by exploring how individual characters react in those circumstances. Any Reply series is usually plotless and filled with life-affirming, heartwarming moments. We know all that. But then the romance is also a major draw of the franchise, something we can all agree on given how intense the husband-hunting games and shipping wars get.

And why I still think Reply 1988 is the best out of the three because the dynamics between the 5 families provide adequate material for every episode so much so that I haven't felt that any episode was dragging until episode 10. But let's face it, the main love triangle is ALSO a part of the plot, a very important part of it at that because DS is at the center of it. So I'm not sure if it is fair to blame fans who ask for more development on this part. 

At least in Reply 1997 & 1994, by this point in the series major heartbreak, love rivalry and angst were already underway. But so far in this series...nothing...NADA. I am totally expecting angst but what I am getting is a copout on the main romance front.

Both male leads are sitting ducks who do nothing, either to win the girl over or firmly push her away. JH was pro-active till episode 10 and now he has backed off without even letting DS know that he has backed off. If he is, indeed, intent on prioritizing childhood friendship over love and letting DS go, then why can't he make his feelings for DS clearer? Confusing a girl by sending out so many mixed signals is an richard simmons move on his part. And secondly, if he can so easily avoid DS upon learning that Taek likes her, I am not even sure about how much JH likes DS in the first place. 

Next is Taek who gets so few scenes that it is infuriating. I honestly want to see him being allotted more screentime. Like in the beach and in the Burberry man scenes, he showed his strong, dependable side I want to see other aspects of his personality. I want to see DS feeling uncomfortably aware of the fact that Taek too is a guy towards whom she could be romantically inclined. In ep 12, when Taek laid his head on DS's shoulder, I thought I noticed her slight discomfort as if it was the first time that she was becoming aware of the fact that Taek too is a guy. And I want to root for Taek because at this point JH is only getting my blood pressure up. 

Honestly I am fine with the romance going either way. I'm okay with either JH or Taek as the husband because both of them are such wonderful, three-dimensional, lovable characters. But I want more romance for uri Deok Seonnie. I want progress in the main loveline. I think we have had enough of the family scenes and we totally get how wonderful and considerate and loving everyone on Dobong-gu, Ssangmundong is. But can we not be subject to more SW-BR scenes arguing about the jondaemal-banmal thing over and over again? Can we, for instance, have more scenes involving Appa Sung's character growth? He seems to be the least likable dad on the block, an observation I can't help but rue. Or scenes involving Dong Ryong's character progression? 

I certainly don't think this is too much to ask for at this point.

P.S.:-I notice that the episode 13 recap post on dramabeans has about 60+ comments while on other Saturdays, I have noticed the number of comments exceeding 100 by this time. A sure sign of collective disappointment in this week's episodes?

3 minutes ago, nikkisjs said:

There's a map of Australia(?) in DS/BR's room. So, there's a theory that either of the Sung sisters may go to Aus for/after their studies :|

Aah..that theory.. :D It's still theory though, but if it's true, they still have to move right? Since they only have one bed room :( 

But I hope they will not move out of Ssangmundong :mellow:

6 minutes ago, mustardmaimai said:

Also, can you share the audition video if you have the link? Would greatly appreciate it! :)

Here's the subbed audition video of ryu jun yeol :DD
only subbed his part.. sorry! ;<

Archived