[Drama 2015] Answer Me 1988 응답하라 1988

czakhareina

I can't believe there are only ±9 hours of R88 episodes that we haven't watched. as much as I hate the angst of waiting every week for a new episode, I don't want this to end. time sure flies real fast. :(

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If just... If just.. DR ask DS which one does she like? Taek-SW then DR-Jungpal.. Probably DR (we) will get to go the next question Taek vs Jungpal, which is she won't answer. Hahaha... But then probably DR (we) will be closer to the answer. 

And one more thing, it's slimmer chance to get adult DR played by Yoojaesuk right? Since he appears on tv.. But when I told my friend about this she said there's still a chance, since Lee Miyeon's CF also appeared though we know she's adult Duksun. I don't know why I am so obsessed for adult DR be played by Yoojaesuk. Hahahaha... 

Concerning the question who she liked between SW and JH, I think she did not answer out of embarassement. Considering what happened with SW, I don't think she would honestly choose him. But verbalizing to DR that she does like JH, I think that might be the difficult part. Hence I understood that as her having to advance a little in her crush, to think about it and also to be able to say it out loud to others.

Edit: I just finished the dramabeans review and I think that part is very true: "I’d argue that she likes Jung-hwan more than she knows, based on her reactions to him, but the point is that all of it hasn’t really solidified into feelings for one person and one person alone, for her. Not in the same way that Jung-hwan and Taek are laser-focused on her. So it does bring up some questions, about what she really feels and for whom. The funny part is, I think it’s only a mystery to her." and "The boys just have the advantage of liking her for longer and knowing their feelings, and I think she’s getting there. I like that her love story is full of mishaps and very small moments, and that it doesn’t have to be some grand romance for all time. I just want her to figure out her heart and go after what she wants."

I really agree, whether she ends up with Taek or JH, she needs to ask herself at this point who she likes and why. Hence I am leaning towards her saying no to both before the time jump and maybe reuniting with one after. What do you guys think?

Can someone enlighten me? 

Duksun dolled up herself for JH's bday party when it's still so bright outside. And then just a little bit after her, JH also departs to Taek's for his party and the clock in his room showing 7pm, and they are all starts the party at taek's room when it's all dark. 

I'm a little bit confused here.. Isn't they're just few feets away from each other? So where did DS go after all dressed up? :crazy:

Guys, I am in serious withdrawal right now... I really can't wait for the sub to be released... It's good that I have this thread to cope with the long wait.

I spent my Sunday productively: binge watching AM 1988 episode 1 - 6. So far, it provides me a better flow of the story, especially in regards of DS' love lines.

I find it clever of the director and writer to disguise Taek's significance in terms of love line at the beginning. He is gradually introduced with limited appearance to almost none (Ep 5) and sometimes only mentioned briefly by people who live in the neighbourhood.

He got his special moment in Ep 2 : a flashback of his childhood and the beginning of his friendship with the gang. Also in all episodes, even though often absent, he is shown as stable part of 5 BFs. The gang celebrate his birthday; wait until very late in his room, console him when he's down with their own special way. He also had poignant moment with DS's dad after DS grand mother's funeral. 

It's all gradually built and finally culminating in episode 6 where it's revealed that instead of SW, he's one of the contender for husband. I was only mildly surprised when I first saw the episode. Somehow the way the story evolved around Taek got me thinking that no way this character will be left as a supporting one. It's too carefully crafted, too fascinating. His dynamic with the gang is different from others: parallel, yet harmonious. It reminds me a lot of Oppa ya's story line in AM 1994. Taek's character is established like a quiet opening of Baduk. It's not a controversial or extraordinary moves, instead a steady and curious one.

Large part of Ep 6 told about his match in China. Now it gets me thinking, if he's just another Chilbong, his arc probably wouldn't be told in such details. The episode showed how he managed to win one match after another until he finally defeated the last opponent and won the tournament. It resulted in him asking DS to watch movie together, mirroring DS's first snow discussion in his room. If his arc is just another Chilbong, then there is no need for all this grandiose reveal. I remember how in AM 1994 I was disappointed with the lack of Chilbongie character development, despite of me being team Chilbong. Taek's characterization is just too detailed and too captivating.

I was one of those who are sure that JH is the future husband. I am pretty much neutral of his presence. I like his characterization, and I sort of understand why the director and writer gave him head start in the arc. It's just that I don't feel challenged and just sort of 'safe' when reading his action and thinking. It's all too familiar, only recycled and revisited, albeit undoubtedly charming.

While with Taek, I almost came to the conclusion of A only to be swooped in to another layer of him that I have never seen before. He is so multi-faceted, it's like watching a real person, baduk genius or not. When you see genius character in TV, often you will only be shown one side of the character :the Genius side and that's it. However with Taek, it's different. I feel protective when he shows his clumsiness, and sad when realising that he has to grow up without a mother. I feel touched by his small gestures to his dad and friends. I feel proud when when he won matches and admire his dedication to his profession. However, at times I am also in awe, sometimes nervous, and terrified (similar to DS's newfound consciousness of Taek's Professional Player's life). It feels like the journey I have in knowing Taek is matching the one that DS experienced. Kudos to the director and writer for successfully creating this character. I mean AM 1988 itself is full of amazing and lovable characters, but Taek's arc is a rare gem.

Watching how AM 1988 unfold until Ep 12 I started to doubt myself. Is JH really the end game?

Even if Taek is revealed as second male lead in the end, then I would still applaud the writer and director for their success (so far) of elevating, otherwise, the usual underdeveloped secondary male lead. Even if Taek does not get the girl, I would still appreciated the director and the writer for giving us a chance to know such an amazing character like our Taek. 

Now now, I can feel that he is already in the mid game, carefully surround the opponent's stones and defending his territory.

No matter what the result is, I have a faith that the director and the writer will let all characters play their end game beautifully.

Thanks for reading my ramble! Now, on to Ep 7!

At this point, I actually see Junghwan as similar to Tae Woong or Chilbong. If Deok Sun falls for Taek, there'll be less heartbreak on the guy's side than if Deok Sun fell for Junghwan. Taek probably wouldn't be able to deal with it very well, considering his stress, how he misses his mom and how he might die without Deok Sun. Six episodes just isn't enough to settle all this and many other stuff. Junghwan on the other hand would be able to bury his feelings for Deok Sun and move on, but not to dating, because I just don't think that it's his character to. He would not like Deok Sun anymore and then magically meet a girl by fate, who he eventually does end up with, similar to Taewoong from 1997. 

I'm still a bit confused on if the husband actually goes on to date other girls, or if Deok Sun just sees him with a lot of girls in the future...it's more likely the latter...

On the other hand, we've had very few romantic moments (I mean real romanic moments) on Taek and DS's side. Would 6 episodes be too little to develop a whole love line for DS?

All this to say that the number of episodes left should not be a factor IMO. It might mean that the end will feel rushed no matter who ends up being DS's husband but I don't think the number should be taken as a factor.

21 minutes ago, carolinedl said:

On the other hand, we've had very few romantic moments (I mean real romanic moments) on Taek and DS's side. Would 6 episodes be too little to develop a whole love line for DS?

All this to say that the number of episodes left should not be a factor IMO. It might mean that the end will feel rushed no matter who ends up being DS's husband but I don't think the number should be taken as a factor.

@carolinedlIf the writer starts to give more attention to the romance, I think 6 eps will be enough. Afterall, the reply series has always focused on family and friendship first, especially reply 1997. (And the romance is kind of kept low until the last 2-3 eps)

With 6 eps, I think the writer can still change TK's character and justify making him the husband. (Because he is so quite now and the husband seems very loud) lol. But yeah you're totally right.. It might still feel  super rushed for the viewers either way..

let's see what happens next!!! :)

This is such a roller-coaster for me because its like the husband is definitely Junghwan but then Taek came in like such a tornado and my assumptions now seemed 50/50. Taek declarations and him bringing her a damn trophy but Junghwan taken her to concerts, etc. I dont know. I mean, I will definitely be ok w/ either. However, taek has such a presence. 

So Seon, who do you like? Does anyone wanna go get brazil dubboki lol 

1 hour ago, Wendy Wang said:

At this point, I actually see Junghwan as similar to Tae Woong or Chilbong. If Deok Sun falls for Taek, there'll be less heartbreak on the guy's side than if Deok Sun fell for Junghwan. Taek probably wouldn't be able to deal with it very well, considering his stress, how he misses his mom and how he might die without Deok Sun. Six episodes just isn't enough to settle all this and many other stuff. Junghwan on the other hand would be able to bury his feelings for Deok Sun and move on, but not to dating, because I just don't think that it's his character to. He would not like Deok Sun anymore and then magically meet a girl by fate, who he eventually does end up with, similar to Taewoong from 1997. 

I'm still a bit confused on if the husband actually goes on to date other girls, or if Deok Sun just sees him with a lot of girls in the future...it's more likely the latter...

Actually, I'm fine with whom deoksun will end up with, either JH or TK. But one thing i cannot agree with your statement is, i don't want the reason they make Deoksun-Taek in the end because Junghwan can overcame the heartbreak, unlike Taek who has so much burdens in his back. Both have their own weak points. I don't like the writer putting "i might die without deoksun", really, it's like he puts his life on her, unable to make her move or hurt him (if she does like junghwan). If the end game is DS/TK, then find a good explanation for another 6 episodes, i don't want "because he's fragile!" "he doesn't have anyone beside (except his dad) him who loves him!". Then, is it the same with junghwan? That guy is pretty weak inside. How can we now Junghwan will move on eventually? No one can guarantee. I just hope people won't make excuses by 'he should be the husband because' because his weak points (and it's for junghwan and taek). 

thank you, i hope no one feel offended :) 

Regardless of whether Taek is the husband or not, I agree with @shooastrid that Taek is portrayed as a very multi-faceted character. There have been many genius characters in Korean dramas, but none as real as Taek. Perhaps it's because Taek's character is inspired by a real life person, but it shows how much care the writers have spent in creating this character. Further, Taek is still very much a mystery to me and very unpredictable. How would he react once he finds out that his friend, JH, also likes the same girl? Would he back off and refrain his feelings? Or like a true competitive baduk player, would he face head on? Whichever direction Taek takes wouldn't be surprising or out of character for him. I think it's telling that we were told about the baduk etiquette in the drama. Whether he wins or loses (the girl), he'll do it gracefully.

But let's also not dismiss Jung Hwan's multi-faceted characterization either. I think many people tend to simply typecast him as the "tsundere" type, which is doing much disservice to his character. I remember a reviewer here mentioning this already, but it hasn't been more than three years ago that the Kim family became as financially comfortable as they are now. With an unhealthy brother and working parents trying to make ends meet, I think it was natural for Jung hwan to have been more "neglected" and left to fend for himself growing up. As a result, it became natural for him to not share his thoughts or open up his pain to others. That is becoming so heartbreaking for me to see as I watch the series because we often see JH taking care of others (in his own way), whether it be cheering up Taek after losing a match by teaching him to curse, standing up for SW from a rude soccer sunbae, or always looking out for his own brother. But when it comes to his own matter, whether it is celebrating his own birthday or his growing love pains, he keeps them all to himself, no matter how much he's breaking inside. By the end of the series, I wish to see him grow into a character that knows to love himself and takes care of himself, as much as he does his loved ones. 

20 minutes ago, shunklunk said:

Actually, I'm fine with whom deoksun will end up with, either JH or TK. But one thing i cannot agree with your statement is, i don't want the reason they make Deoksun-Taek in the end because Junghwan can overcame the heartbreak, unlike Taek who has so much burdens in his back. Both have their own weak points. I don't like the writer putting "i might die without deoksun", really, it's like he puts his life on her, unable to make her move or hurt him (if she does like junghwan). If the end game is DS/TK, then find a good explanation for another 6 episodes, i don't want "because he's fragile!" "he doesn't have anyone beside (except his dad) him who loves him!". Then, is it the same with junghwan? That guy is pretty weak inside. How can we now Junghwan will move on eventually? No one can guarantee. I just hope people won't make excuses by 'he should be the husband because' because his weak points (and it's for junghwan and taek). 

thank you, i hope no one feel offended :) 

I never said that the reason I want them to end up together was because Taek is weak, I'm just saying that it would make more sense considering how slow the story is developing. If they really wanted to resolve all of Taek, there's not enough episodes, but they probably planned this.

5 minutes ago, Wendy Wang said:

I never said that the reason I want them to end up together was because Taek is weak, I'm just saying that it would make more sense considering how slow the story is developing. If they really wanted to resolve all of Taek, there's not enough episodes, but they probably planned this.

wait, i never intended to said that to you. What i said in general is, i don't want either of them end up with deoksun because a thing that make her has to do so (not because he's being gentleman or a hubby material or smthg but 'he can't face another problem' or 'he is mess since he'a torn between friend or girl ). I'm sorry if you feel offended by me. And by the way, what do you mean by making it more sense with the slow development? I don't quite understand..

1 hour ago, shunklunk said:

wait, i never intended to said that to you. What i said in general is, i don't want either of them end up with deoksun because a thing that make her has to do so (not because he's being gentleman or a hubby material or smthg but 'he can't face another problem' or 'he is mess since he'a torn between friend or girl ). I'm sorry if you feel offended by me. And by the way, what do you mean by making it more sense with the slow development? I don't quite understand..

We're at episode 14 and nothing's really happened yet between any ship, so I think it only makes sense that Taek and Deok Sun are end game, considering the amount of build up for Taek and Deok Sun

Guest aoikarin
2 hours ago, nicola_nikka said:

This is such a roller-coaster for me because its like the husband is definitely Junghwan but then Taek came in like such a tornado and my assumptions now seemed 50/50. Taek declarations and him bringing her a damn trophy but Junghwan taken her to concerts, etc. I dont know. I mean, I will definitely be ok w/ either. However, taek has such a presence. 

So Seon, who do you like? Does anyone wanna go get brazil dubboki lol 

Yes, I agree Taek has such a presence in everyone's eyes since loooooong time agoooooo. But I don't think Taek came in just suddenly. I believe, he's been in love with DS since long time ago. He's just there waiting. but because of his personality, nobody knows whether he likes a girl romantically. I believe epi 1-6 before, we are shown Taek's character from general POV. But at the end of China's trip, the writer show us a peek of Taek's POV about DS. And the following episodes, the show started peeling out here and there about Taek's personality and by the end of episode 14, I found a really beautiful journey about Taek and his father came and live in ssammundong. Love the show! So much warmth and beautiful memory in this show. Jjang for the writer and Pd Team.

Guest nchoerunnisa
7 hours ago, carolinedl said:

Concerning the question who she liked between SW and JH, I think she did not answer out of embarassement. Considering what happened with SW, I don't think she would honestly choose him. But verbalizing to DR that she does like JH, I think that might be the difficult part. Hence I understood that as her having to advance a little in her crush, to think about it and also to be able to say it out loud to others.

Edit: I just finished the dramabeans review and I think that part is very true: "I’d argue that she likes Jung-hwan more than she knows, based on her reactions to him, but the point is that all of it hasn’t really solidified into feelings for one person and one person alone, for her. Not in the same way that Jung-hwan and Taek are laser-focused on her. So it does bring up some questions, about what she really feels and for whom. The funny part is, I think it’s only a mystery to her." and "The boys just have the advantage of liking her for longer and knowing their feelings, and I think she’s getting there. I like that her love story is full of mishaps and very small moments, and that it doesn’t have to be some grand romance for all time. I just want her to figure out her heart and go after what she wants."

I really agree, whether she ends up with Taek or JH, she needs to ask herself at this point who she likes and why. Hence I am leaning towards her saying no to both before the time jump and maybe reuniting with one after. What do you guys think?

Yes... actually I want to see them focused on their dreams... of course I expect to see some development in the triangle love line... but I don't want to see whether DS-TK or DS-JH together right now... Beside, the husband used to date a lot, it means if they date right now, they'll end up breaking up anyway... which sounds suck to me. I prefer seeing them end up together after the time jump.

In R1997 there's an episode about future hopes and dreams. We saw the characters started looking out what they want to do in the future and purchasing their dreams. I love that episode because I could relate to the story so much and because the story was so beautifully written. I love that it's TW who's giving the advice to the kids. TW himself chose to give up his dreams. In this episode, along with his students and brother, TW decided to hope again, purchase his dreams and start living his life.

I'm expecting to see this kind of episode in R1988. I want to see the dynamic of our squad and BR in purchasing their dreams. How they find out what they want to do in the future. SW found her passion in writing thanks to her undying love for Tony H.O.T. YJ, though he failed in the end, wanted to become a pilot because he wanted to become a man that SW desired. What about our squad?

Talking about Tony, will he show up as cameo? LOL. If it's true that Hyeri will become an entertainer it's not impossible for her to meet Tony. I can imagine Tony flirts with DS and SW, who's doing fan services, is witnessing the scene and going crazy about that. LOL. But that will be too awkward for Tony and Hyeri. No no no... forget the idea.

Every character now still develops well with their own stories. Yes, slow but well.

Taek is good. I mean, yes he's cute, a genius has many faces that no one knows. His feeling for DS now is spoken out fervidly and passionately. He's ready to confess. He has his brilliant mind to set a perfect strategy and has SW to support him. Everything now is perfect for him. But I dont know if I'm the only one hate Taek's saying "If she's (DS) not here, I think I might die." Yeah, what his dad was for? A whole episode for his dad to be a superman for him and then he said that T^T

Till now, I cant guess what the writer going to do with the main triangle. From the beginning till now, I always believe JH is the husband. And even there're more Taek-Sun movements than Hwan-Sun, I never change my mind. But it's weird to me when seeing SW and Taek became closer day by day when the two guys talking about their love to the Sung girls. SW knows a lot about Taek's love to DS. And SW marries BR for sure so as family aspect, how awkward it could be between them if DS ends up with Hwan? 

Well, previous seasons, there's rarely anyone knew about the second male lead's crush to the female lead. So if they turn Hwan to be a second male lead... ToT it's even more weird and unreasonable. 

Only 6 episodes left and there're still tons of things to tell. And the time jump? Anyone has any idea about it? I'm not sure it could happen at this week episodes.

Archived