[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

5 hours ago, princessmantou said:

Because of DOTS... I spend 100,000 won today on Laneige products... Damn you Song Hye Kyo... There is a DOTS promotion where if any of you get Laneige products you will get a DIY kit to make your makeup look DOTS-ish....

Alamak. I oso want. But I don't live in Korea and I'm presently in bad-wifi land. :P all round bad for catching up on soompi news and writing fics. :(

• Like 5

I'm missing DOTS ...missing KMY & YSJ...missing the liveliness of this thread...

13118044_982440521824541_1158919254_n.jp

cr as tagged

You'd be surprised by how many real locations made up Descendants of the Sun's fictional country of Uruk

by Nancy Z on Wed, Apr 27, 2016

As the romance between Song Joong Ki and Song Hye Gyo blossomed in Descendants of the Sun, fans were also interested in the popular drama's exotic filming locations. It turns out that there were several different filming sites in Greece and Korea that, together, made up the fictional country of Uruk.

1. Zakynthos Island - a Greek island in the Ionian Sea. The island is said to be named after Zakynthos, the son of Dardanus, whose parents were Zeus and Electra according to Greek Mythology. The island was inhabited as early as the Neolithic Age (10,200 - 8,800 BC) and was mentioned in ancient Greek poet Homer's epic poems the Illiad and the Odyssey.

Spoiler

dcb3bc87-4951-4747-9045-136a97ee3aa2.jpg

Spoiler

039427e9-ec3d-4f42-9d19-0479b25f54ec.jpg

When you visit the Zakynthos island, a must-see destination is the Navagio beach, where Song Joong Ki took Song Hye Gyo to see a shipwrecked vessel from 1980 that still sits in the sand.

Spoiler

d69e92a8-3df6-4b19-8a9d-1c1ef484b5ef.jpg

0864ac92-64a7-4cb5-8c02-d262d54f8c8b.jpg

Spoiler

41e5c199-ba63-4704-95ba-9a3fd3d75a1d.jpg

Wouldn't you want to visit the beach and recreate the romantic interlude enjoyed by the Song-Song couple? 

2.  Lemnos island - another Greek island located in the northern part of the Aegean Sea. It has more than 30 sandy beaches, and its famous Gomati sand dunes have been referred to as the "Sahara of Lemnos."

Spoiler

c098ecbc-1473-465f-a4a7-e04cf2f52ecf.jpg

1b78f399-299f-4f6d-9b2b-844b8a93b772.jpg

3. Arahova - a mountain town in the western part of Boeotia, Greece. Its skiing locations attract many visitors in the winter. Arahova provided many of the urban settings whenever our DOTS couple went to visit the nearby town.

Spoiler

9ae33331-75fe-455f-94a2-9b46a4bb96dc.jpg

98c57cda-bcfb-49d7-893e-7c2ed3933544.jpg

Spoiler

5907a61e-fb1d-4ca3-b452-312bfefd9454.jpg

4. Taebaek provided the location for the military barrack, but it is actually located in Gangwon province, South Korea. The filming site was built over an old coal mine.

Spoiler

3a4a161d-f0d1-478f-b3d6-cdfcbe2491a0.jpg

Spoiler

370fad69-c01b-4d66-b0d5-380ea23418a8.jpg

Spoiler

4e09adb4-3fdb-446b-af2c-3bd0a9ed4b88.jpg

dab52d9d-0738-40ff-9a82-cc1c3150043d.jpg

Unfortunately, the filming site has been torn down, disappointing the tourists who have gone there. The city of Taebaek has decided to rebuild the filming site to attract tourists. Good idea! Even South Korean President Park Geun-hye has mentioned that the mega-hit drama is an opportunity to promote the country's culture to the world. 

(But will there be a team of shirtless soldiers running by?)

5. Samtan Art Mine in Jeongseon-gun, Gangwon-do is an abandoned coal mine located at the foot of the Hambaeksan Mountain that has been transformed into a cultural art complex. In DOTS, it serves as the setting for the difficult underground scenes during the earthquake's aftermath.

Spoiler

de81b015-3272-4c90-a168-d10848ce645e.jpg

6e4c2ed7-4055-4e6b-9810-e95f00490d41.jpe

Are you surprised that it took so many different locations to film the fictional country of Uruk? That's part of the magic of drama-making.

If you are interested in traveling to one of more of these locations, you may have to hurry because many tourists are already flocking to them, with the most popular being the Navagio beach at Zakynthos island.

What location would you like to visit the most?

~ NancyZdramaland

Source via 1234

(Photo/image credit as referenced or as tagged)

https://www.dramafever.com/news/youd-be-surprised-by-how-many-locations-made-up-the-descendants-of-the-suns-fictional-country-of-uruk/

• Like 16

This thing about SJK speaking informally to SHK and not getting slammed: I read someone's analysis (native korean) of his speech patterns and it would indeed seem as if he speaks very informally to her, and the reason for not being slammed is because it's a squee-worthy observation for shippers? ;) Joo Won is also known to speak informally to many and it's seen as warm and adorable. Heh. I dunno. I want to believe they're sweet on each other in real life. Hahahaha...

And about this "pay it forward" cultural practice in Korea, must say it seems awfully tiring though. To eat out often (if you do) and have such social rules to take care of... Waaaah... I'd go nuts. I too come from a "go Dutch" culture and if you get a treat from a senior it then means something significant cos it's not so flippantly given. But that's the culture I grew up in. 

Now that dots is over, looks like we're still hanging around this time to analyze the finer bits of the show. Blood types now? Heh. I agree with the logic: A-type is fairly common so you'll get a good amount of blood available outfield. B and AB not so. O is universal donor... Well. 

As for the continuous age and speech pattern debate, methinks it's all part of YSJ's personality. He's a bit cheeky, ain't he? 

• Like 13

I was watching DOTS ep 8-12 last night to compensate no new epi, and now I still have my eyes swollen, just a bit, this morning I woke up with a heavy head bcos of too much crying. lol. Btw, I don't really mind about their age or blood type mistake, maybe it just a mistake from the production, I still think MY is older than SJ tho :D  

Posting bigger version of this scene bcos I just can't get enough of his smile here, love is written all over it :wub:

ah0RUqG.gif

• Like 16

Like @kristy86 I've re-watched a few episodes last night but just the scenes of this cute OTP since they are love. How is everyone else coping? It's so gentle and quiet in here these days....Captain YSJ is no longer on a dangerous mission so spending most of his time these days at his girlfriend KMY's lovely house. He probably permanently moved in by now...it's been 2 weeks since DOTS ended and in DOTS world that could be a few months....or maybe they got married by now and enjoying their honeymoon doing romantic things like a couple would do  lol

They must have celebrated quite a few birthdays on the set of DOTS. They are beynd cute here celebrating Jin Goo's birthday.

3v2pLHE.gif 

They had so much fun while filming DOTS. Their smiles were always bright like the sun and their eyes twinkle like the stars.

Spoiler

Fanning themselves because shower scene at her home was too hot right?  ...writer-nim and pd-nim always troll us lol

UAU2caG.gif?1

Spoiler

Same touch my nose gesture. They have amazing chemistry on and off screen. Isn't the nose touching a dilemma for someone...maybe her dilemma is that he's just too adorable like her...he always manage to  bring a smile to her beautiful face.

o2GFijh.gif?1

cr: IrisFM

• Like 14

I've been back-reading a lot here lately, and can I just say that this thread is going to be alive for quite some time. Hahaha! Even if the show has ended, I love how everybody just seems to look into even the smallest details of the drama. It's really enjoyable :)

And if I were in KMY, I'd freak out if I saw that red dot on my face. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I mean seriously, it's romantic from Si Jin's point of view, but if you were Mo Yeon, wouldn't you panic? You just came out to wash your face, and now it's as if someone is attempting to shoot you?!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, gilaswan said:

This thing about SJK speaking informally to SHK and not getting slammed: I read someone's analysis (native korean) of his speech patterns and it would indeed seem as if he speaks very informally to her, and the reason for not being slammed is because it's a squee-worthy observation for shippers? ;) Joo Won is also known to speak informally to many and it's seen as warm and adorable. Heh. I dunno. I want to believe they're sweet on each other in real life. Hahahaha...

And about this "pay it forward" cultural practice in Korea, must say it seems awfully tiring though. To eat out often (if you do) and have such social rules to take care of... Waaaah... I'd go nuts. I too come from a "go Dutch" culture and if you get a treat from a senior it then means something significant cos it's not so flippantly given. But that's the culture I grew up in. 

Now that dots is over, looks like we're still hanging around this time to analyze the finer bits of the show. Blood types now? Heh. I agree with the logic: A-type is fairly common so you'll get a good amount of blood available outfield. B and AB not so. O is universal donor... Well. 

As for the continuous age and speech pattern debate, methinks it's all part of YSJ's personality. He's a bit cheeky, ain't he? 

Their 'informal language' is not the 'informal' that is being used with younger people. There are three levels of language formality in Korea. One is used for speeches and is comepletely formal, one is casual formal one is purely informal. If SJK were to use informal language with SHK... it would sound weird because informal language is in a way their slang/broken language. I haven't seen someone speaking informally on screen and didn't get slammed because you are not just speaking to that person. You are saying it and allowing millions of other people hear it. Koreans view this as a rude thing. My younger bro speaks to me informally as well but he never does it in the prescene of a third party because its consider rude to them as well... 

You can be sweet without using informal language. A lot of couples use formal language to each other me included but that don't mean its not sweet. Formal language can infact sound sweeter and more serious rather than playing. In fact formal language is considered a basic respect to another party. That's why manager Jin was furious when YSJ yelled 'Yah' at him. It shows he's disrespecting him as a person especially since YSJ is younger than him. 

By the way you are from Malaysia or Singapore ?

@SkyKid I think its the short sight of the production crew but no Koreans complained on the Korean forum about this because different bloodtype dogtags are the norm in Korea. Korean forums also guess that YSJ is older than KMY... oh well... its confusing

@winterbubbletea Yeah. But like for me, I'm an AB blood but according to doctors I cannot use anything other than AB blood because its best if I used AB blood but I know people who can use bloodtype other than AB. That's why in the Earthquake public operation scene... The patient is AB and they request Kim Ki Bum's AB blood because its just safer. If the AB blood patient used an O blood donor and react to it. It's a bad case. Although I'm not a doctor but I went med school for a year to go to psychology school. I did learnt that blood types are not simply bloodtypes. There are more to bloodtypes than just O, A, B, AB. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, booho said:

w guys do u have see this

ahahahaha i thought this is DOTS Trailer - LOL 

sersan seo really daebak in this CF LOL

a ha ha ha, rofl like crazy, can't stop laughing, what a creative CF:D:w00t:  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, princessmantou said:

Their 'informal language' is not the 'informal' that is being used with younger people. There are three levels of language formality in Korea. One is used for speeches and is comepletely formal, one is casual formal one is purely informal. If SJK were to use informal language with SHK... it would sound weird because informal language is in a way their slang/broken language. I haven't seen someone speaking informally on screen and didn't get slammed because you are not just speaking to that person. You are saying it and allowing millions of other people hear it. Koreans view this as a rude thing. My younger bro speaks to me informally as well but he never does it in the prescene of a third party because its consider rude to them as well... 

You can be sweet without using informal language. A lot of couples use formal language to each other me included but that don't mean its not sweet. Formal language can infact sound sweeter and more serious rather than playing. In fact formal language is considered a basic respect to another party. That's why manager Jin was furious when YSJ yelled 'Yah' at him. It shows he's disrespecting him as a person especially since YSJ is younger than him. 

By the way you are from Malaysia or Singapore ?

@SkyKid I think its the short sight of the production crew but no Koreans complained on the Korean forum about this because different bloodtype dogtags are the norm in Korea. Korean forums also guess that YSJ is older than KMY... oh well... its confusing

@winterbubbletea Yeah. But like for me, I'm an AB blood but according to doctors I cannot use anything other than AB blood because its best if I used AB blood but I know people who can use bloodtype other than AB. That's why in the Earthquake public operation scene... The patient is AB and they request Kim Ki Bum's AB blood because its just safer. If the AB blood patient used an O blood donor and react to it. It's a bad case. Although I'm not a doctor but I went med school for a year to go to psychology school. I did learnt that blood types are not simply bloodtypes. There are more to bloodtypes than just O, A, B, AB. 

Well if I remember AB blood has some sort of postive and negative. I know because a relative when she went to get surgery they had to reserve blood packs for her.

I haven't study biology in over 10 years so the a b AB and o is all fussy for me haha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, winterbubbletea said:

Well if I remember AB blood has some sort of postive and negative. I know because a relative when she went to get surgery they had to reserve blood packs for her.

I haven't study biology in over 10 years so the a b AB and o is all fussy for me haha

Yup... but even so every blood varies... Anyway I asked my dad some information about the military. Maybe it would be of help to your fanfic writing or for any one who wants to know about this. 

YSJ is a captain and is considered the highest rank you can have in the field. To be a commissioned officer like YMJ and YSJ you have to hold a 4 year college degree. YSJ would get paid 5.5k USD a month and would only have 4 weeks worth of no stand by leave(not including Medical leave). Remaining of the time he would have to serve actively in military for 7 months worth and the remaining 4 months would be 'on stand by' duty. Meaning he would still have to serve his duty but he can be a little more free, meaning he can still go out( just like the scene he went to subway with KMY) but he have to be on 24 hours standby and report back to the barracks by curfew time. The 4 week worth of leave means they can usually return home. 

According to the drama, YSJ graduated from West Point(aka Harvard University in military terms). He would have a degree in either:
American Politics
Art, Philosophy and Literature
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Comparative Politics
Computer Science
Defense and Strategic Studies
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Engineering Management
Engineering Psychology
Environmental Engineering
Environmental Geography
Environmental Science
Foreign Area Studies
Foreign Languages
Geospatial Information Science
History
Human Geography
Information Technology
International Relations
Kinesiology
Leader Development Science
Legal Studies
Life Science
Management
Mathematical Science
Mechanical Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Operations Research
Physics
Psychology
Sociology
Systems Engineering
Systems Management

But I believe he majored in Defense and Strategic studies because most aspiring Captains study that course. 

YMJ is first lieutenant (same as my boyfriend) and if he did not lie to me(LOL) she would be paid 4.8k USD per month. She would also need to hold a 4 year college degree which she chose Medical I believe and according to the drama, military paid for her degree.  If she work in the hospital like KMY she can easily earn 4 times more than in military. But then again she can slack more because all she's facing all day are enlisted army boys trying to fake a medical leave. 

SDY is a master sergeant(this is my younger brother's position), the highest non commissioned officer position which means he does not hold a 4 year college degree. However he have to be at least a high school graduate which is why he made Kim Ki Beom studied his GED. He will be paid 2.8K USD per month, significantly lesser than YMJ and YSJ. It will take him a much much longer time to be a commissioned officer(which means he might have to do a dangerous mission involving his life) and even after then... he would have to sent to study for a degree to be a commissioned officer

The remaining Alpha team are considered just staff sergeants and would earn 2.2K USD per month. Sign on Privates(Ki Beom) would get a pay of 1.2K USD and Enlisted indivuduals... few hundred USD.

Most military men in ROKA after discharge would receive a lifetime pension. However they spend their youth and lives fighting for the country. In military law, if you don't use your life to save a person it could be considered as attempt murder or murder. So basically they are throwing their lives to save someone... and yes they do get paid so little. That's why rarely people chose military as a career. Usually its their passion or it runs in the family. I haven't have a full family dinner in 7 months and last time I saw my brothers was last September. With boyfriend the longest I have gone without seeing him is 8 months. Military is usually last choice for people in terms of career. That's why there's mandatory military service here.

• Like 10

The first official Wednesday and Thursday without DoTS and it would have been empty/sad/wanna cry to me but when I come to this thread, I just...wow, immediately have the feeling that everything is staying the same and DoTS is being continued. Thank you guys so much, I cannot find any proper words to express my appreciation for your insightful analysis, emotional posts, hilarious DoTS-in-comic-style. It is the very first time I have been deep into a drama like this and moved by the mature, profoundness as well as the limitless support and love of DoTS' fans. 

Dear @Meowth07, I had goose bump and was nearly breathless while reading your post. Please accept my wholehearted thankfulness for your time typing words down and admiration to your brilliant and insightful interpretation. It reminds me why I love DOTS this much, it's not only because of the one of a kind love story but also many meaningful insights it has conveyed. For sure I'll rewatch and have my own sharing of interpretation, let's keep this thread lively :lol:
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, princessmantou said:

Yup... but even so every blood varies... Anyway I asked my dad some information about the military. Maybe it would be of help to your fanfic writing or for any one who wants to know about this. 

YSJ is a captain and is considered the highest rank you can have in the field. To be a commissioned officer like YMJ and YSJ you have to hold a 4 year college degree. YSJ would get paid 5.5k USD a month and would only have 4 weeks worth of no stand by leave(not including Medical leave). Remaining of the time he would have to serve actively in military for 7 months worth and the remaining 4 months would be 'on stand by' duty. Meaning he would still have to serve his duty but he can be a little more free, meaning he can still go out( just like the scene he went to subway with KMY) but he have to be on 24 hours standby and report back to the barracks by curfew time. The 4 week worth of leave means they can usually return home. 

According to the drama, YSJ graduated from West Point(aka Harvard University in military terms). He would have a degree in either:
American Politics
Art, Philosophy and Literature
Chemical Engineering
Chemistry
Civil Engineering
Comparative Politics
Computer Science
Defense and Strategic Studies
Economics
Electrical Engineering
Engineering Management
Engineering Psychology
Environmental Engineering
Environmental Geography
Environmental Science
Foreign Area Studies
Foreign Languages
Geospatial Information Science
History
Human Geography
Information Technology
International Relations
Kinesiology
Leader Development Science
Legal Studies
Life Science
Management
Mathematical Science
Mechanical Engineering
Nuclear Engineering
Operations Research
Physics
Psychology
Sociology
Systems Engineering
Systems Management

But I believe he majored in Defense and Strategic studies because most aspiring Captains study that course. 

YMJ is first lieutenant (same as my boyfriend) and if he did not lie to me(LOL) she would be paid 4.8k USD per month. She would also need to hold a 4 year college degree which she chose Medical I believe and according to the drama, military paid for her degree.  If she work in the hospital like KMY she can easily earn 4 times more than in military. But then again she can slack more because all she's facing all day are enlisted army boys trying to fake a medical leave. 

SDY is a master sergeant(this is my younger brother's position), the highest non commissioned officer position which means he does not hold a 4 year college degree. However he have to be at least a high school graduate which is why he made Kim Ki Beom studied his GED. He will be paid 2.8K USD per month, significantly lesser than YMJ and YSJ. It will take him a much much longer time to be a commissioned officer(which means he might have to do a dangerous mission involving his life) and even after then... he would have to sent to study for a degree to be a commissioned officer

The remaining Alpha team are considered just staff sergeants and would earn 2.2K USD per month. Sign on Privates(Ki Beom) would get a pay of 1.2K USD and Enlisted indivuduals... few hundred USD.

Most military men in ROKA after discharge would receive a lifetime pension. However they spend their youth and lives fighting for the country. In military law, if you don't use your life to save a person it could be considered as attempt murder or murder. So basically they are throwing their lives to save someone... and yes they do get paid so little. That's why rarely people chose military as a career. Usually its their passion or it runs in the family. I haven't have a full family dinner in 7 months and last time I saw my brothers was last September. With boyfriend the longest I have gone without seeing him is 8 months. Military is usually last choice for people in terms of career. That's why there's mandatory military service here.

Question since his now major does that mean shi Jin no longer is a field agent? Thank god I am almost done with one story

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

Question since his now major does that mean shi Jin no longer is a field agent? Thank god I am almost done with one story

He IS still a field agent despite promotion. Captain and Squadron Leader is still under the 'Lieutenant' catergory. But instead of being just captain to Alpha Team. He is Captain of Alpha Team and Squadron Leader to every one in the military. Same job, more reports to write, more responsibility, more people under him, more people to take care, more punishment if he screw up and pay increment by 200usd. His rank is still Captain with 3 diamond shaped badges. He is still considered a 'Dae Wi'. Unless he's a Lieutenant Commander aka Major (Seoryeong), or else... he's still in the field. YSJ is not in the 'Ryeong rank yet'. He's still in the 'Wi' rank.  YSJ is still not under the 'Hibiscus badge' rank yet. In fact for his age, he's still too young and active... The ROKA mostly remove men who are no longer at the peak of their fitness out of the field(Mostly men over 38 to 45). Meaning YSJ still have a 5 more years... or 10 if he's really fit to be in the field. 

Edit: Meaning he's the same rank but had a job promotion. Rank and position promotion is different in military. 

• Like 6

in last ep, YSJ has been promoted to Major ( 소령 - Seoryong), he now has one flower ^^ :wub:

ok, so I have a day off today without DOTS :tears: so I do rerun of DOTS from ep 1 to 12 without sub, but guess what still can't catch YSJ calling himself "oppa" @princessmantou please do me a favor, enlighten me, which scenes are those YSJ calling himself "oppa", because I really want to cach that, doing Korean listening practice with DOTS is so much fun :phew: ,thank you :heart:

• Like 1