[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Baskin Robbins ad had scenes from DOTS in it? Where's the one where he supposedly shares an "ice cream kiss" with another person (lucky girl)?

Am at the airport waiting to catch my flight home to real-wifi-land. Hahaha... Man, I need to catch up on real connectivity so that I can post more easily!!! And also watch DOTS again!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, winterbubbletea said:

Title: A Step Closer to you
Author: WinterBubbleTea
Genre: Fluff
Rating: PG-13

Pairings: Slight Hae Ja Ae/Song Sang-Hyun, Kang Mo Yeon/Yoo Shi Jin
Drama: Descendant of the Sun

Summary: One moment to another each point is a step closer to the goal of the heart.

tumblr_o4rbjvOZA31vpd0gxo2_400.gif

P.S. http://archiveofourown.org/users/WinterNeedSleep/pseuds/WinterNeedSleep

I have finally created an AO3 account, however the stories that I put onto it would be very slow, since I prefer to update more in my blog. Well enjoy everyone!!!

@winterbubbletea Dear Author-nim, please create an asianfanfics account.. I think it will be easier for fans to find and read your stories...

• Like 5

@IrisFM  I like that idea so much, he must probably has moved in with her already in DOTS, lol. I hope @gilaswan can do us some magic and make something about it, just kidding :D  I still can't watch other drama, I always repeat each episode and last night I did some re-watch again. I'm hopeless...

And yeah, it's so quiet in here, I really miss those days when I have to backread almost 20 pages everyday :dizzy: 

Btw, while I was rewatching ep 13, again, lol, I was wondering about this scene. We know SHK said the drunk scene was not in the script, but they just added it. My question is, what was it they initially wanted to do in this scene, what was the original scene on the script? I mean SJ is positively drunk while MY is not and they went to her house and get caught by her mum. Hmmm... 

gKdU9b1.gif

His expression is priceless, that how you'd looked like when get caught by your future mum-in-law. He looked like he's seeing a ghost :joy:

• Like 12

58 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

Baskin Robbins ad had scenes from DOTS in it? Where's the one where he supposedly shares an "ice cream kiss" with another person (lucky girl)?

Am at the airport waiting to catch my flight home to real-wifi-land. Hahaha... Man, I need to catch up on real connectivity so that I can post more easily!!! And also watch DOTS again!

@gilaswan  Dear Author-nim, if you don't mind would you write a story with ice cream kiss or cotton candy kiss for our Big Boss - Beauty couple ?? Kamsahamnida :-) Have a safe flight back home dear author-nim.. :) 

• Like 3

@kristy86 I'm not sure either what it was supposed to be too but I'm glad they added a drunk KMY coz she's absolutely adorable drunk like him :lol:. That was an awesome scene how they introduced future mum-in-law. It's ashamed we did not get to see more of them with his father or her mother. I also wonder had SKJ wasn't injured, some scenes may have been done differently too. They said his action scenes were toned down too coz of his injuries...

Also, this is a long article that's worth a read if you are interested to know how DOTS has transformed TV production....

(Yonhap Feature) 'Descendants of the Sun' transforms TV production in S. Korea

(Editor's note: This story is the 10th of our feature series on the global boom of Korean pop culture, known as "hallyu" in Korean.)

By Park Sojung

SEOUL, April 28 (Yonhap) -- When South Korean actor Cha Tae-hyun stood on the podium to accept his KBS Drama Awards in December, he spoke what has been on his colleagues' mind for years.

"I hope we actors no longer receive our scripts in a piecemeal fashion," Cha, who played the lead man in the KBS 2TV comedy series "The Producers," said.

Actor Joo Won, who portrayed the titular character on SBS's hit drama "Yongpal," said much the same after the series wrapped up a successful season.

"We pulled all-nighters every night like crazy for two straight months," he said on a variety show. "One time, I was driven to the set receiving IV therapy in the car. At that moment, I knew I would die an early death."  

South Korean actor Song Joong-ki. (Yonhap)

South Korean actor Song Joong-ki. (Yonhap)

Like Cha and Joo, South Korean actors have traditionally acted on bits and pieces of screenplay because viewers have made the verdict over where the story should head next. Although networks have steered shows in ways that would produce higher viewership this way, the practice of filming on an ongoing basis has been criticized for fomenting poor working conditions for actors and producers to whom pulling all-nighters has become a way of life.

But all of that may be changing after "Descendants of the Sun," a South Korean runaway hit drama that has mesmerized TV junkies both here in South Korea and in China. After the show, which was filmed entirely in advance, producing the complete season before a show's premiere date has become all the rage, and more and more networks are considering adopting the way the U.S., Japan, China and now the creators of this megahit South Korean series make shows.

For the "Descendants of the Sun" uninitiated, a few numbers should shed light on the extent of its success and the impact it has had on the local TV industry. The blockbuster-style melodrama about a special forces captain and a volunteer doctor falling in love in a fictional central Asian country captured 38.8 percent in viewers on its final episode in South Korea. Considering no South Korean week night show has come close to the 40-percent mark in four years, and with non-traditional platforms increasingly eating into terrestrial networks' viewership, that is a ground-breaking record, TV experts say.

South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo. (Yonhap)

South Korean actress Song Hye-kyo. (Yonhap)

In China, where the series premiered on the same date for the first time for a South Korean series, the show has been watched more than 2.7 billion times on the local video platform iQiyi, which holds the exclusive rights to stream it in the world's second-largest economy. The Chinese title of the show has remained on top of Weibo's most-searched keyword list for weeks straight, and actor Song Joong-ki has earned "national husband figure" status after playing the pretty-faced but macho Capt. Yoo Si-jin.

Early production has actually been an ongoing phenomenon for the past year in South Korea, as producers try to overcome the hurdles of Chinese censorship. Since China started to require all foreign content to be screened prior to broadcast, South Korean producers making shows for China have more or less been forced to work around that schedule.

Spoiler

Several South Korean shows are currently in the works for Chinese TV, the most notable of which is "Saimdang, the Herstory," which stars "hallyu" actors Lee Young-ae and Song Seung-heon. The show was announced in May 2015, and will launch in the latter half of this year after eight months of intensive filming and editing. Other shows being filmed for Chinese viewers include "Uncontrollably Fond," featuring actor Kim Woo-bin and singer Suzy. The show will premiere on KBS 2TV and the Chinese video website Youku Tudou on July 6. "Descendants" just happened to be the first show to be produced entirely in advance and achieve multinational success, and experts say the feat will likely add momentum to the trend already starting.

The poster for the upcoming SBS drama "Saimdang, the Herstory." (Yonhap)

The poster for the upcoming SBS drama "Saimdang, the Herstory." (Yonhap)

Obviously, for many South Korean actors, the shift to early production is a welcome phenomenon. Actor Ahn Jae-wook, who is among the first actors to ignite the Asiawide popularity of Korean pop culture known as "hallyu" here, has expressed his "unconditional" support for pre-premiere production.

"There needs to be more cases like 'Descendants of the Sun' for hallyu to develop," Ahn, who filmed the first pre-made show in South Korea, said. "Not being able to predict the viewer response is both an advantage and a disadvantage.... As long as the show finds its focus, there are many more advantages than disadvantages to early production."

Even some networks have come to accept the change, as they seek new sources of revenue outside the South Korean market.

"Early production only started because of the change in the local TV market," Bae Kyung-soo, chief producer at KBS, said. "To penetrate the Chinese market, it is essential to produce shows in advance, so even if the trend is only temporary, our production system must revolve around China."

The pressure is mounting for producers, and many have complained that "Descendants" has set the bar too high.

"'Descendants' was the first show to premiere in South Korea and China at the same time and the first show to be made in advance," an official with a production company, who asked not to be named, said. "We are feeling overwhelmed because our upcoming show will surely be compared to it."

Spoiler

Actor Kim Woo-bin and singer Suzy who star in the upcoming KBS 2TV drama "Uncontrollably Fond." (Yonhap)

Actor Kim Woo-bin and singer Suzy who star in the upcoming KBS 2TV drama "Uncontrollably Fond." (Yonhap)

There is also the risk of unconfirmed spoilers circulating prior to the broadcast of an episode, producers say.

"People might have things they'd want to brag about, but they would have to keep it quiet and be careful when talking to the media," another production company official said.

But overall, early filming seems to be the way production is headed, as more South Korean producers adopt the go-big-or-go-home mindset.

"Obviously, there will be more Chinese investments if more South Korean shows succeed in China," a publicist for a South Korean TV show, who asked for anonymity, said. "More distribution channels, like online platforms and TV networks, will open up if we produce more dramas like 'Descendants.'"  

Spoiler

The KBS 2TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

The KBS 2TV series "Descendants of the Sun." (Yonhap)

sojungpark@yna.co.kr

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/culturesports/2016/04/27/37/0701000000AEN20160427004900315F.html

• Like 8

@IrisFM Yes, MY's mum is so cool :D How I wish they show MY with SJ's dad too. I admire SJK for doing all the action stunts by himself. I notice in the BTS during the scene when they tried to disarmed the bomb attached on MY's body, the way he lower his body is so awkward and I realized it must be bcos of his right knee injury. 

Btw, I have to agree with the article, the drama shooting system in SK is pretty hard for actors, I was literally shaking my head reading about Joo Woon. Poor him...and I heard many actors has the same experience too. 

I hope by the success of DOTS many will start to turn to pre-filmed system to have an even better quality. DOTS has the quality of a movie and I just realized it was produced by a company who always do movies and DOTS is their first drama production. No wonder I feel like I'm watching a movie in each episode of DOTS.

It's true that DOTS has set the bar so high so I think it's inevitable that the next pre-filmed drama will be compared to it. I thought CITT is also pre-filmed, not sure though. 

And I recall some of DOTS casts said they're happy to be able to follow their drama at the same time with other viewers. It gives them new experience and they can enjoy the result of their hard work. The feeling must be so great :D  

• Like 8

Descended From the Sun adds jolt to the Korean economy

by tineybeanie | April 29, 2016 | 2 Comments

Descended11.jpg

The recent hit medical-military drama Descended From the Sun, starring Song Joong-ki and Song Hye-gyo, has caused an explosion of economic growth. According to a report by the foreign economic research department of the Export-Import Bank of Korea,Descended is estimated to generate a whopping 1 trillion KRW increase in revenue. In addition to the profits gained from exporting the drama overseas, there are huge indirect benefits such as tourism increase, global country branding, ad marketing consumption, and job growth.

Currently, the drama is being exported to China (for roughly $4 million USD), Japan ($1.6 million USD) as well as Taiwan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, and Vietnam. Furthermore, the U.S., U.K., France, Italy, and other European nations have also imported Descendedfor a total of 32 countries that are now viewing the show. So far, the revenue created from just selling the show is nearly 7 billion KRW.

MBC’s Dae Jang Geum still holds the greatest export record for a cultural commodity, at 87 countries and 13 billion KRW. Keeping that in mind, Descended is expected to reach at least 10 billion KRW.

However, it’s the indirect ripple effect that’s generating the big bucks. Descended has contributed to an overall increase in Hallyu tourism and the consumption of drama-related domestic goods, such as cars. If past data regarding Hallyu tourism from big hits like Dae Jang Geum and You from Another Star holds true, then one tourist creates a cash flow of 1.25 million KRW per visit.

Altogether, boosted tourism and car sales will produce an estimated 300 billion KRW. Moreover, economic activity associated with increased domestic goods production including international marketing will approximately yield 600 billion KRW. Taking everything into consideration, the total direct and indirect income generated byDescended From the Sun is expected to be around 1 trillion KRW.

No big deal. Just another way that dramas make the world better.

Via Xports News

DRAMABEANS

• Like 9

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:22 PM, winterbubbletea said:

Thank you, dearie.

I have to ask because I am a bit dim here...

Song Myeong Man 1979 June 12 (36)  <-I assume that this is Doctor Song Sang Hyun
Kim Dong Sik 1982 (33) June 05
Cheong Sang Hun (34) 1981 March 18
Lee Chi Hun 1989 June 23 (27) <-So this is Doctor Lee the rich baby. XD
Lee Chan Jung 1985 August 09 (31)
Kim Han Su 1986 Dec 30  (32)
Ha Ja Ae 1979 July 28 (36) <-This is Nurse Ha

I do want to ask...what about the other four people. I dunno who they are hahaha...

Cheong Sang Hun, I believe, is the funny doctor who likes Ha Ja Ae - where is Nurse Choi (the cute nurse)?

• Like 4

I haven't move on. I do not have the guts to watch any other drama for the meantime other than DOTS. I guess there is no drama yet that can replace DOTS just to recover myself. My daily routine is to read first all the latest news about Song-Song couple.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, raewonkim said:

I haven't move on. I do not have the guts to watch any other drama for the meantime other than DOTS. I guess there is no drama yet that can replace DOTS just to recover myself. My daily routine is to read first all the latest news about Song-Song couple.

I feel you. Other dramas have no appeal to me. Withdrawal syndrome argh i keep on rewatching the episodes and the bts special

• Like 8

@IrisFM @kristy86

I'm home!! Still feeling so sleepy but need to get up to go for korean class... I have not done my homework. Argh. 

I love that meet-the-mum scene too, especially how he doesn't skip a beat in responding with "mum?!" when KMY pointed out that intruder is her mother. Hahaha... There was so much cute in his voice!!

i too am of the opinion that YSJ is indeed younger than KMY and write off everything else as production timeline errors. I advocate marrying younger men (I did! Heh heh heh). 

I welcome more story ideas! I honestly don't have a single romantic bone in me in reality. Colleagues were recently commenting that I am far too driven by logic:

them: wow, what a pretty rainbow!

me: yeah. (Thinks about the refraction of light through water droplets in the air that results in this phenomenon)

Yeah. I'm boring that way... DOTS is the first that has inspired me to keep the stories going by writing fillers. Hahahha... Am now thinking about what happens when they return to Korea from Albania...

• Like 13

2 hours ago, raewonkim said:

Same here. I did try to watch Come Back Mister concurrently with DOTS and stopped midway cos all my "other" time was spent here spazzing and back reading with you Dotters and resumed watching CBM this week but found myself forwarding lots just to get to the ending. Ah... It wasn't a bad story. But it just wasn't visually appealing like DOTS (cinematography and action - WOW) and the story while not bad, wasn't enough to draw me in either. Now that I'm home, I'm rewatching from episode 1!

• Like 10

Ok. Random question. I know translators all have different ways of choosing words to represent an idea or phrase from one language to the other (I was a former professional interpreter and still volunteer as an interpreter regularly, so I understand the process), but I wonder why Dramabeans insists on using "Descended from the sun" when the industry's official English translated title is "Descendants of the Sun", which I honestly feel is a smoother and better (prettier, too) translation. 

<shrug> 

professional courtesy, y'know?

Oh! And one more question (see what being back in good wifi land does to me? Catching up! Catching up!!)

Was rewatching ep 1 and... Why or how is it that Lt Ahn was eating a choco pie then too? They don't have it in NK right? Wasn't that why later on YSJ treated him to one? 

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, gilaswan said:

. . .  and write off everything else as production timeline errors.

I found another timeline error.  I was rewatching Episode 11 just now and realized that when the Commander gives YSJ "three hours" to save KMY, it's broad daylight out.  But Argus had wanted YSJ to provide him with an escape route around 2 a.m.  Given that, there's no way YSJ would've been able to complete the mission in three hours. 

I don't know why these things don't occur to me from the get go.  I think I'm just so caught up in the story that these little details escape my notice the first couple of times around, but as I keep rewatching, that's when I start dissecting everything.  Rather than get annoyed though, it just kind of amuses me.  I love this drama so much I don't think I could ever be disappointed by it.  :P

For all those who've commented that they're having problems moving on and aren't able to watch anything new, I feel your pain.  I've finally mustered the ability to watch other stuff (trying to finish "Marriage Contract" and catch up with "Good-bye, Mr. Black") but I have to say, none of the other dramas I watch bring me even close to the joy I get from watching DotS (even on rewatch).  It's like the drama has spoiled me!

• Like 12

English sub version of Entertainment Weekly with some of our favourite DOTS stars : SJK's fan meeting (5:30-9:00), Dr Song (10:00-14:30), and celebrating SHK's 20 years acting career (20:00-32:00 - warning there are some kiss scenes from her previous dramas too). Thanks to @sunflower91_ who posted this video from SHK's thread.

I hope they will have some activities together in future....be it a CF, magazine photoshoot or even DOTS promotion in some countries. I hope both will attend Baesang Art Awards....can't wait to see them again at a public event....

• Like 12

@gilaswan

LOL on the rainbow reaction :joy: Believe me you do have your romantic side, I enjoy your fic so much. Please keep writing :D 

Me too, I still can't watch other dramas. I might end up re-watching DOTS for the next few months...

@Ahpheng

So on point, everything about DOTS, I love :D Thank you so much for continuously creating fun c-strip for DOTS. I enjoy them a lot.

Some more gifs...

q2pg6e8.gif

I think this scene is the first time SJ talking in Banmal to MY, please correct me if I'm wrong. When he said "Then say it" still has - yo at the end, but the next sentence "Everything you say is important to me" I can't catch the -yo or -mida. Haha, why do I even wonder about this when I don't understand Korean at all, lol.

I need to follow @gilaswan to take Korean class soon :no_mouth:

9jWDMpS.gif

• Like 11

“As of now, I like Yoo Shi Jin the most out of all the men that exist in this world. I wrecked three cars with him and almost drowned, overcame an infectious disease together and also got a bullet wound from his gunshot. Despite all that, Yoo Shi Jin is the guy I like the most. It’s because he’s never cowardly, is honourable in every moment and is handsome every time I see him.”  - KMY

tumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko5_r1_400.giftumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko6_r2_400.gif

tumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko10_r1_400.giftumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko9_r2_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko1_400.giftumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko4_r1_400.gif

tumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko8_r1_400.giftumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko7_r2_400.gif

tumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko3_r2_400.giftumblr_o6am3sFLAJ1smxxiko2_r2_400.gif

cr kdramadose.tumblr.com

@gilaswan @winterbubbletea Thanks for sharing your fanfics. Please continue to share your creative writing whenever you can spare some time :)

• Like 14