[Drama 2016] Descendants of the Sun 태양의 후예

alleverything

Back reading the discussion between @princessmantouand @SkyKid about the age references, manner of address and honorific usage. It's one thing thing about the Korean language and culture that intrigues and confuses me. I'm ethnic Chinese-southeastasian descent but my native language is English though I do speak mandarin and other chinese dialects, and there are honorific and age-biased terms of references which we use too, but not as complex as in Korean. Or perhaps at times more complex (because the linguistic rules are not as straightforward as in Korean), but I must say the cultural attachments to how something+요/입니다 can change tone by so much. That said though, I have been asked before if I "speak this way" all the time, even at home, and by "this" the person asking the question was making reference to possibly my lack of colloquial vocabulary. Made me think. My tone of language with my family is I suppose fairly "formal" if I were to compare it with others around me? I don't know. We don't "listen to ourselves" as much as we listen to others I suppose?

Point I'm trying to get at I guess, is how much language use reflects the type of relationship SiJin and MoYeon had (and by that extension, the type of relationship SJK and SHK have. Heh heh heh). Can speech patterns reveal so much? Someone explain please!! Muchos gracias in advance!

p/s @princessmantou: you're ethnic Korean but your native tongue/first language isn't Korean?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pikachu92 said:

He did'nt mention his an oppa in episode 12. How many times i watched it there's no mention or line about that in that scene. They didnt reveal their ages directly but there were many scenes as evidence thats YSJ older than KMY. Its my eagle eyes. 

1. in episode 2 : in movie date scene KMY call YSJ as oppa, then when KMY joke said she's Noona YSJ don't believe her its like she's a minor. 

2. in episode 2 : We can see from Haesung Hospital Voluntary List thats KMY birthday is 14 September 1983.

3. in episode 5 : when YMJ call KMY in informal , YSJ told YMJ she should call KMY as Unni or Sunbae. He Actually knows KMY age from Haesung Hospital Voluntary List. because YSJ older than YMJ thats YMJ call YSJ as sunbae, so YSJ told YMJ to call KMY as unni or sunbae.

4. in episode 13 : actually its the big hint for viewers thats YSJ is an oppa he said "he was born in 1983 and pisces". so its mean YSJ birthday its around February or March 1983.

5. in episode 15 : during the cafe 'i love you' scene. YSJ told KMY thats she should say "I love you" first. But when YSJ told to said it beside their age, order their age. its mean older to younger right, so YSJ older than KMY so YSJ told "I Love You" first to KMY. 

So considering all these hints, YSJ is older than KMY fews month. 

I knows thats you all confused why they always talk in formal even when they hangout. I think thats because their job. the ways soldier speaks and the ways doctors speaks.  There's so many couple in korean, they talk formally even though their maried couple right? 

@princessmantouYou said you're korean, you should knows better than other viewers. 

I admit I tried to look for Kang Mo-yeons birthday on that paper but...I couldn't see well. Also cannot read Korean haha...do you think you can show a image of it for us that fails...

Sorry for this request. 

5 hours ago, themarchioness said:

If it makes you feel any better, I also went back to rewatch the tower scene in Episode 12 and the only time I heard YSJ say "oppa" was when he was warning KMY to not go back to Korea and see the hospital director or "Yoon Gi Oppa."  I didn't hear him call himself oppa either.  *shrugs*

:wub: thank you :D I definitely did not hear YSJ calling himself an oppa apart from ep 2, when he said "so, I'm an oppa", but there is Chinese broadcasting version too, so I wonder if they dubbed something like that in the C-version, because they totally dubbed the whole ep 13 to avoid the North Korea's story :sweatingbullets: 

like @princessmantou mentioned that YSJ also said he confessed and been rejected 3 times while talking with the victim, but the version I watched all I heard is " I really like her, but she rejected me about 3 times already", that's why we find 3 rejects, but @princessmantou kept finding the scenes where he confessed and been rejected B)

right now my concern is if we can get director's cut DVD, BTS of the hugs, kisses, drunken scenes, tbh, if the director has no time, I would not care if they give us the whole shooting process :wub::heart::wub: but seems like KBS doesn't want to take my money :crazy::sweatingbullets::tears:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, winterbubbletea said:

I admit I tried to look for Kang Mo-yeons birthday on that paper but...I couldn't see well. Also cannot read Korean haha...do you think you can show a image of it for us that fails...

Sorry for this request. 

Yes - if there's an image of where we can read KMY's age, I might be able to help because I can read some hanguel.   I don't think YSJ is older than KMY.  The only time YSJ mentioned the word 'oppa' was when they were at the theater - thinking he is 'oppa' to KMY.  Also, YMJ and KMY knew each other from school and when they met for the first time at the hospital, KMY addressed YMJ as YMJ-ssi - YMJ addressed KMY as Kang MoYeon sunbae.  The only reason YSJ asked YMJ to address KMY as sunbae was because YMJ was so blunt talking to KMY (scene where YMJ reported to Mowuro).  At the café, when they were arguing on who should say 'I love you' first, YSJ suggested they go by name - K comes before Y so he wants KMY to say it - then he changed it to 'by age' - and then KMY said 'why do you always want me to say it first'.  So I still believe KMY older than YSJ.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, viyra said:

Yes - if there's an image of where we can read KMY's age, I might be able to help because I can read some hanguel.   I don't think YSJ is older than KMY.  The only time YSJ mentioned the word 'oppa' was when they were at the theater - thinking he is 'oppa' to KMY.  Also, YMJ and KMY knew each other from school and when they met for the first time at the hospital, KMY addressed YMJ as YMJ-ssi - YMJ addressed KMY as Kang MoYeon sunbae.  The only reason YSJ asked YMJ to address KMY as sunbae was because YMJ was so blunt talking to KMY (scene where YMJ reported to Mowuro).  At the café, when they were arguing on who should say 'I love you' first, YSJ suggested they go by name - K comes before Y so he wants KMY to say it - then he changed it to 'by age' - and then KMY said 'why do you always want me to say it first'.  So I still believe KMY older than YSJ.

I posted the pic few pages back, but here it goes again 

b416910.jpg

• Like 3

@Pikachu92 Yes but its because KMY says she's Noona in ep 2 yet YSJ spoke to her informally it made me confused because I thought KMY was older. Thats why I asked. I rarely see married couple speak informally actually. When you are dating someone whose older than you in Korea its like a must to speak formally unless you are given permission. Its a 'respect' thing. That's why I'm wondering if she's joking about being 'noona' in ep 2. And in Korea usually if someone say 'go by age' usually its the younger ones who should go first because you have to 'respect' the older one. Because I'm Korean and when I watch it in Korean... I'm confused by the way they speak. I was wondering if the writer made a mistake 

@gilaswan I'm raised in London... My race is Korean. I moved to Korea during college years.

I heard him saying in Korean 'Si Jin oppa' as he address himself not many times but maybe around 4 times throughout ?

• Like 4

@gilaswan Example... I have dated my boyfriend for 6 years and he's older than me by 6 years too. But even till now I have to address him formally... occasionally I do slip and speak informally when I'm in a rush but most of the time its formally. However to my friend whose same age as me... I can speak informally and its not a problem... even to my younger siblings I can speak however I like to them. It is important in Korea. When I first moved here I got scolded by many taxi drivers just because I forgot to add a 'yo' at the back of everything I said. They yelled at me 'brat'. This is how bad it is. YSJ and KMY spoke informally to each other despite addressing each other by their salute name... Its safe to say they could be the same age. 

Even when Si Jin yelled at manager Jin 'for being a bastard' he used formal tone with him. However in some situations there are younger guys calling themselves oppa to their 'noona girlfriend' to show that they wear the pants in the relationship. That's why I'm wondering why Sijin calls himself oppa... 

• Like 7

KMY birthday is listed as 830914 - according to the above; so when YSJ mentioned he is a Pisces, that means YSJ is older than KMY.  But there is something confusing about how determine who is older and who is younger = even if 2 people were born on the same year, it will still depend on that certain time where certain months are covered.  Now I have to go back and read my books again so I can fully explain.  But we have real Koreans here who can verify this instead of me searching through my notes.

@SkyKid - thanks for posting that evidence.

• Like 4

Is anyone able to find this instrumental background? I suspect it is a softer version of K.Will's talk love but instrumental version. I want it so bad!!!! It played in the scene where YSJ kiss KMY while filling up gas.

It starts from 2:28.

cr: descendants of the sun channel on YT

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gilaswan said:

Maybe I should be like KBS... episodes every Wed and Thu. Hahahaha...

@gilaswan

Finally I can access your page :D  If I face any problem again later I might have to disturb you with my PM.

And it's a good idea, to update every Wed and Thu. At least I have your fic to wait every week, if that's okay with you. Please tag me too when you post a new fic, thanks in advance :D 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, princessmantou said:

@gilaswan Example... I have dated my boyfriend for 6 years and he's older than me by 6 years too. But even till now I have to address him formally... occasionally I do slip and speak informally when I'm in a rush but most of the time its formally. However to my friend whose same age as me... I can speak informally and its not a problem... even to my younger siblings I can speak however I like to them. It is important in Korea. When I first moved here I got scolded by many taxi drivers just because I forgot to add a 'yo' at the back of everything I said. They yelled at me 'brat'. This is how bad it is. YSJ and KMY spoke informally to each other despite addressing each other by their salute name... Its safe to say they could be the same age. 

Even when Si Jin yelled at manager Jin 'for being a bastard' he used formal tone with him. However in some situations there are younger guys calling themselves oppa to their 'noona girlfriend' to show that they wear the pants in the relationship. That's why I'm wondering why Sijin calls himself oppa... 

Because beside thats evidence, YSJ is older than KMY few months thats why KMY call YSJ oppa in ep 2. When she said she's noona,maybe she's just joking around. Because they born in the same year, actually they similar age. In korean, age very important right. You can speak informally when speak to same age or to younger person? 

Why we're argue about KMY and YSJ age, thats doesn't important right?Lets hope to the writer nim to release DOTS character book thats revealed personal information. 

@princessmantouI know thats actually some married people in korean speak informaly,but few of them still talk in formal to each other. I noticed in actor SONG IL KOOK aka Daehan Minguk Manse dads interview. Thats Song Il Kook and his wife talk formaly even though they already married.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Elfida Nenri said:

Because beside thats evidence, YSJ is older than KMY few months thats why KMY call YSJ oppa in ep 2. When she said she's noona,maybe she's just joking around. Because they born in the same year, actually they similar age. In korean, age very important right. You can speak informally when speak to same age or to younger person? 

Why we're argue about KMY and YSJ age, thats doesn't important right?Lets hope to the writer nim to release DOTS character book thats revealed personal information. 

@princessmantouI know thats actually some married people in korean speak informaly,but few of them still talk in formal to each other. I noticed in actor SONG IL KOOK aka Daehan Minguk Manse dads interview. Thats Song Il Kook and his wife talk formaly even though they already married.

You have to address formally if you are speaking to a third party about your spouse. But if its directly to your spouse no one speaks formally. Like if I'm talking to someone about my husband... I have to speak formally about him. But if I'm speaking to him directly there is no need unless I'm in a formal setting. Because in Korea you are considered 'the same level' as the person that you married to. 

Their age is not important. I was just confused by the way they speak.

Edit: Oh and another part is that Mo Yeon paid for YSJ... and YSJ paid for Moyeon as well. In Korea this only happens with same aged friends... I almost never have to pay as long as I'm with someone older. Its the 'rule' in Korea. Its rude to fight to pay for someone older. That's why I remember JYJ member Micky Yoochun once said he was afraid that Brain from Fly to the Sky would scold him because he paid for him secretly once. 

• Like 3

I really appreciate how everything comes back around one way or another. Its like a throwback to their relationship of now and then, here and there, today and yesterday....you know what I'm saying? Haha :tounge_xd:

So heres a throwback to the times DotS gave us a throwback or whatever you like to call it hahaha :innocent:

tumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao4_400.gif  tumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao5_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao2_400.gif  tumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao3_400.giftumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao6_400.gif  tumblr_o670gybY0d1qibiyao1_400.gif

Cr: inpinitaize.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Guilty 

tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo5_400.gif  tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo9_400.giftumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo6_400.gif  tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo8_400.gif tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo10_400.gif  tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo4_400.giftumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo1_400.gif  tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo7_400.giftumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo2_400.gif  tumblr_o5023a9wAg1ro0yyxo3_400.gif

Cr: inpinitaize.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Left Right, Right Left

tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o1_400.gif tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o2_400.gif

tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o5_400.gif tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o6_400.gif

tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o3_400.gif tumblr_o5maz6vpyd1r1fzv0o4_400.gif

Cr: dancerkai94.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Girlfriend and Comrade

tumblr_o5mtnqIbjm1vpe86uo4_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5mtnqIbjm1vpe86uo5_r1_400.giftumblr_o5mtnqIbjm1vpe86uo3_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5mtnqIbjm1vpe86uo1_400.gif

Cr: yoo-sijin.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Attacking when hands are occupied

tumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o3_400.gif  tumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o1_400.giftumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o4_400.gif  tumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o2_400.giftumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o5_400.gif  tumblr_o4zxlx6AGS1r1fzv0o6_400.gif

Spoiler

Cool flippy thing with phone

tumblr_o4x0iwun6k1qfakbgo3_540.giftumblr_o4x0iwun6k1qfakbgo1_540.giftumblr_o4x0iwun6k1qfakbgo2_540.gif

Cr: feii1effect.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Love

tumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo6_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo2_r2_400.giftumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo7_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo5_r1_400.giftumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo3_r2_400.gif  tumblr_o5u2b0tYGq1vpe86uo4_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

Movie Date

tumblr_o5dh3nNmHm1vpe86uo1_r1_540.giftumblr_o5dh3nNmHm1vpe86uo3_r1_540.giftumblr_o5dh3nNmHm1vpe86uo2_r1_540.gif

Spoiler

Girlfriend and Comrade again

tumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo4_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo1_400.giftumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo5_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo2_r1_400.giftumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo8_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5cqptmbj71vpe86uo3_r1_400.gif

Spoiler

Should I apologise or confess?

tumblr_inline_o3v8gzPOVf1tgeuj2_500.gif  tumblr_o4mgxow7oG1utlph9o9_400.gif

Spoiler

Returning to Shipwreck

tumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko5_r2_400.gif  tumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko2_r1_400.giftumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko4_r3_400.gif  tumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko1_r1_400.giftumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko7_r1_400.gif  tumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko3_r1_400.giftumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko8_r3_400.gif  tumblr_o5qvgjhvDZ1smxxiko6_r1_400.gif

Cr: kdramanostalgia.tumblr.com

Spoiler

Candles

tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o1_250.gif  tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o2_250.gif

tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o3_250.gif  tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o4_250.gif

tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o5_250.gif  tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o6_250.gif

tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o7_250.gif  tumblr_o5mc3nixvX1utfw96o8_250.gif

Spoiler

Like boyfriend like girlfriend 

tumblr_o58gz8lDGd1qfakbgo3_400.gif  tumblr_o58gz8lDGd1qfakbgo4_400.giftumblr_o58gz8lDGd1qfakbgo1_400.gif  tumblr_o58gz8lDGd1qfakbgo2_400.gif

Spoiler

Fake Landmine vs Real Landmine

tumblr_o4i13zBXiA1r1fzv0o1_400.gif  tumblr_o4i13zBXiA1r1fzv0o4_400.giftumblr_o4i13zBXiA1r1fzv0o2_400.gif  tumblr_o4i13zBXiA1r1fzv0o6_400.gif

Spoiler

Like boyfriend like girlfriend again

tumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo3_400.gif  tumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo5_400.giftumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo4_400.gif  tumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo7_400.giftumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo9_400.gif  tumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo8_400.giftumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo6_400.gif  tumblr_o5lk7oKKJC1r3hugwo2_400.gif

Spoiler

Old habits die hard 

tumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo3_400.gif  tumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo5_400.giftumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo1_400.gif  tumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo2_400.giftumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo4_400.gif  tumblr_o5lm7lU6js1r3hugwo6_400.gif

Happy Wednesday :no_mouth:

tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo3_400.gif  tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo2_400.gif

Spoiler

tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo4_400.gif  tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo5_400.gif

tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo9_400.gif  tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo1_400.gif

tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo7_400.gif  tumblr_o691l83szd1vqm9zzo6_400.gif

tumblr_o65ay9HEsP1tmjt2ko1_250.gif  tumblr_o65ay9HEsP1tmjt2ko2_250.gif

Cr: daeniim.tumblr.com

Spoiler

tumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo1_400.gif  tumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo5_r1_400.giftumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo2_400.gif  tumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo6_r1_400.giftumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo3_400.gif  tumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo9_r1_400.giftumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo4_400.gif  tumblr_o68ziiszZF1vpe86uo7_r2_400.gif

Cr: klausxcaroline.co.vu

Hahahahaha you, me and the rest of the population 'Richard'. Its like when does he ever not look good? I mean I even get heart palpitations just by watching a 144p video of him (Heaven forbid anything lower than 720p!!!) so that says a lot hahaha :joy:

(Soz not soz for having so many spoiler tags) :tounge_wink:

• Like 24