[Drama 2015] Warm and Cozy 맨도롱 또똣

kaiskloset

Honestly, I have dissatisfaction too toward this drama. Hong Sisters are good in using symbols and metaphors, and I love how they wrote the dialogues. But I dont like the plots especially the parent's story. Seriously I think this drama will be better if there is no makjang parts from parents background or gatsby story. 

However I will watch until the end coz I love WooJoo moments so much. And I hope Yeon Seok oppa and Sora will find a better project in the future. 

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest noctus

Hello, Warmers! First time posting in this thread (usually I'm just lurking here, hehe), just want to drop by and said that I enjoy reading all of the insightful posts here, especially since, *cough, cough* the other drama recaps site's opinions are just too much for me.

I might be start watching this drama because of Kang Sora (I watched her in Doctor Stranger, well, I tend to watch some actor/actress other drama if I already watch their drama once) and out of curiosity of Yoo Yeonsok (Watched him a bit in Youth over Flowers, absolutely love him there!), but I come to love our OTP and their love journey. Of course, sometimes Baek Geonwoo made me frustated because of his childlike actions, but when he man-up, he's just so swoony, I can't resist him. And I can't not support our heroine, Lee Jungjoo, cause she's so hardworking that she inspires me. I might not the one that like to analyze something out from the drama, but I do appreciates you guys who post so many things that I overlooked, so thank you for posting them! It help me to understand the drama better. Glad that I found this forum where the people enjoy this drama as much as I do. And I'll be lurking again, hehe, please keep the insightful posts coming, thanks guys! :D

As requested, @libra83.  :)

Second point, re. more scenes with the mayor.  

I didn’t count the number of scenes the Mayor and GW had with JJ.  But I get why some people would get the impression that the Mayor had more exposure with JJ than GW. 

First, the scenes with JJ and the Mayor varied. They met at his house, at Warm and Cozy, at the store, at the diving school, then at the evening soiree. Then, there was the family gathering (implied. We didn’t actually see it).  Because the scenes were varied, the impression the audience got was that the Wookie-JJ couple were GOING PLACES together.  

Second, the scenes showed JJ and Wookie doing something together.  For instance, at his house, she sewed her buttons; at Warm and Cozy, he was sharing family pictures; at the store, they shopped together; at the diving school, they were being teased together; then at night, he appeared to be hosting a party for her. Because the scenes involved ACTIVITY, the impression the audience received was that Wookie was PROGRESSING in his pursuit of JJ. There’s “movement”, and they’re beginning to appear like a couple. 

I get that. 

But these events and happenings are precisely set up to make it APPEAR like they’re a viable and REALISTIC couple. They’re all false impression.

Even IF the Mayor had more scenes with JJ – again now, I didn’t count – he was actually GOING nowhere with her, and GETTING nowhere with her. The more the Mayor imposes upon her, the more she is becoming distant from him.  And she’s realizing this too.  That’s why she felt her forehead after they met in the diving school.  Remember that? She knows she isn’t feverish for him. 

As a matter of fact, in the last scene, JJ seemed alone despite being in the middle of a happy, partying crowd. One poster (I’m sorrrrry, I forgot your name!) astutely observed that she looks lonely. And I agree. It could be a camera trick, of course, because we were looking AT HER through the eyes of GW who was singling her out in the crowd.  But JJ looked detached even when she was smiling, bowing, and drinking. 

In contrast, look at the scenes involving GW.  Did you notice anything? 

All their confrontations were shot inside Warm and Cozy.  Briefly, let’s list them:

the opening scene, at the table,  when they talked about her being a carp,
his confession that he gave himself, not the restaurant, to JJ (they were standing by the bar), 
at the wine cellar, he impatiently asked her if she remembered, and he placed a freebie on the top shelf,
while cleaning up, he teased her for going out with the Mayor to rile him,
by the bar again, when he accidentally knocked off the dessert
on her bed, when he tried to appease her with food,
at the table again, where he gave her the carp bread,
then in the middle of all kitchen appliances, lol, when he said that he wasn’t “Warm and Cozy” anymore for her.  

ALL these scenes (aha! Eight scenes as opposed to the Mayor’s four) were done in one place: at Warm and Cozy. Our couple appeared NOT to have moved at all. lol. 

But despite the appearance of not moving, of staying put in one place, and of doing nothing BUT TALK, there’s more progression here than with the Mayor’s measly four scenes.  The progression is in their emotional state. He and JJ were bonding. They were airing out and settling their differences in the manner that most couples do when handling a crisis. True couples do it FACE TO FACE. They talk to each other. 

It would have been superfluous and ridiculous, to have our OTP outside, wandering through Jejudo, and doing all sorts of this-and-that, when their stark restaurant scenes could deliver the message with more impact.  You see, the script reduces the focus to the simple essentials. 

It boils down to this: the intimacy of “Warm and Cozy” reflects the growing intimacy between them.  

Gotta go again. 

Me thinks this drama is JUST fine as it is. No need for big event/situation to make it more interesting. This is a light/romantic comedy not an Autumn in My Heart type drama :D Also Im fine with the couple not being together at this stage coz there are still 4 episodes remaining. There is joy in anticipation and more reason to watch the show than watching the remaining episodes with no more story and just lovey dovey moments only.
Anyway that Episode 11 scene where BGW brother was hugging tightly the lady divers helmet while wating for her to be rescued was one of my favorite in this show. Daebak :D Im so loving those couple aside from the main couple:)
Also maybe its just me but i find Ji Wons face a little scary..like she's one of the cast in some horror movies :p

Annyeong chingudeul. here is my first time stop by on this thread. Panggawoyo yeorobun ^^

after watched 1st eps and stop immediately then BANG!!! yesterday watching from eps 2 - 7. i can say that this drama is really good actually. typical of Hong sister's drama. the light comedy romance for summer is really suit and more adding with Jeju Island as a background make me want to go there and escape for a while lol. and like Sora's recently intv about this drama, i also like the relationship between Hae Sil and Jeung Gun just cute for 40's love line. but mostly i adore how Baek Geun Woo's behave a really cute childish act in early episodes hahaha. and for Ji Won's i also found her act really hmm stiff but it still get my nerves seeing her looking for the rich guy so much. and for my bias actress LEE JUNG JU a.k.a Kang Sora she is the beautiful one, and some episode make my heart clench seeing her suffering hhhh ... 

some people saying this drama is boring but they should give a try to watch and i read the rating is increase each episode. i will continue watch the rest episode and keep reading this thread.

please take good care of me *bow* :):w00t:

Gah! So many things I want to quote and respond to but I'm just dropping by! Because I can't help it, i'll still try with lesser words lol.

I am definitely enlightened about the conscious intent by the Hong Sisters to weave symbolism into the plot, though I fail miserably at catching most of it. HAHA. First off, I totally didn't realize there could be any writing purpose to having different versions of mayor wook. That part is a discovery to me. I just totally thought of it as a comic relief! Seriously these analyses are enlightening...

I'm getting though that the whole mayor-jj storyarc has to come to a close, and that articulating the whole so-near-yet-so-far dynamic between jj and the mayor is necessary to end it...still, my shipper heart flails and wails because i want nothing to come between my woojoo and i'm feeling exactly what the writers want me to feel: annoyed. Lol. That's definitely saying they write very well.

@dmjsl (did i get this right?) pointed out the noble idiocy bgw is intending to enact by leaving and asked about his line of thinking... a part of me thinks it's simply typical drama reaction, that it's also an ode to the recycling pattern done consistently. Though characer-wise, it is consistent with BGW's more previous behavior and it is necessary to ennunciate bgw's character evolution. I refer to the rock, paper, scissors game as an indicator of this. Done in the previous episode, it articulated his tendency to go towards that route. He drops out papers not to transfer the accountability to jj, but more with the intent to give jj a choice. That it was done as a game showed how he is sort of midway through his evolution to becoming the grand noble idiot (that i still love).

Whenever he watches jj being with the townspeople from across the river, it significantly indicates how he is viewing jj's life without him in it. From these scenes, we can observe the change in his reactions The first time he did it, he threw a rock to the river to disturb the whole thing. That was an unchanged gw, impulsive and concerned only about acting out his (annoyed) feelings. The second time he watches from the across the river, he is the GW with the new hair and he views the whole thing while containing his grief. The contrast is in his restraint, which shows that his maturity has come full circle. Maturity then is sort of equitable to a love that is willing to hold the pain in so that it can let go. Curiously, this resoundingly compliments that point when JJ was annoyed that BGW wasn't willing to set her free and wanted her to continue liking him, despite not feeling the same. In that scene, we understood how JJ views goodness as sacrificial, therefore willing to let go even if it meant discomfort. To me, BGW's direction towards noble idiocy shows how he is moving into the same thinking dimension that jj is in. On the other hand, mayor's actions lately are similar to that of an impulsive, immature bgw. Wook doing below-the-belt "strategems" can be likened to the childish bgw that throws a rock from across the river. Though this seems inconsistent with wook's character, it is understandble given the desperate situation he's in. In effect, he has moved further away from jj's thinking dimension. Mayor and gW has effectively switched places in terms of maturity. This, all in all further qualifies gw  as the winner that takes jj's all.

To add/reinforce gw's behavior, we are shown that bgw's achilles heel are family matters. He is primarily insecure because of his family history, and when this history comes back to haunt he is put in a more vulnerable and self-pitying position. This insecurity reinforces his tendencies to leave... though it's still annoying that he's thinking to leave because leaving isn't the best most logical solution, but not having him in the picture does make things slightly easier: jj and jg can be free to mingle with townspeople without him as a collateral damage since he's the only apparent link to his dad/murderer... also, i have a feeling leaving won't ever happen. of course not. Of course the truth will be exposed before he gets to do it at all. That's just me. 

And of course. There's no such thing as a quick comment. Lol.

Guest luvluvluv_kdrama

hello everyone lol

Usually i just stop by and read all the posts and even like them. but i must now comment lol All of you who have posted and have explained another meaning that i missed from scenes of this drama im so thankful. 

i am loving this drama. The push and pull concept drives me nuts but seriously its entertaining and frustrating at the sametime lol

thanks for the insightful posts, it made me see scenes in a different light. You have all worked hard. im really looking forward to wednesday...i know its only monday...i wish i could just sleep tonight and wake up on wednesday night hahaha

hope everyone has a awesome week. xox

My admiration goes out to all of you who always live-recap this. I'm never here for the live-recaps not only because I'm at work during those hours but also because back-reading all the spazzing reactions afterwards has convinced me that it just wouldn't be good for my health. :lol: So kudos to all live-recappers and live-recap participants for having the emotional endurance.

I never expected a rom-com to tug at my heartstrings so bittersweetly but I have to hand it to the Hong sisters - they have kept me both comedically entertained and emotionally engaged throughout this drama. I care for these characters and have really enjoyed their gradual development.

Contrary to others, I have never found the pace of this drama to be too slow or draggy because I felt that through this careful pacing the Hong sisters were allowing the emotions of the story to progress in a very believable way. I have never once thought while watching this drama that JJs or GWs actions did not make sense from a character stand-point - so far they haven't acted out of character for the sake of some plotline as I have seen happen quite often in other dramas.

I completely agree with @packmule3 (have really enjoyed reading all your posts, btw) about JJ going to places with the Mayor but not actually getting anywhere with him on an emotional level. I felt that her scenes with GW were far more impactful and romantically charged - there were so many moments between them during the last two episodes which were totally swoon-worthy. Her moments with the Mayor are devoid of any romantic progress or tension. It is painfully obvious that she just goes along with him out of some sense of self-imposed obligation - she told herself she would make a sincere effort with him so she is determined to keep her promise even if true sincerity is not possible because her heart is 100% elsewhere. 

Speaking of awesome moments in the last two episodes, I really felt like doing a standing-ovation at the way Hae Sil handled Hee Ra. The supposedly sophisticated (not really) Seoulite thinking she has it all figured out only to get taken down a few notches by the supposedly simple (not at all) Jejudo woman. Coutryside vs City - 1:0. It was so funny how Hee Ra set up that scene as if she had watched it in a drama and thought it would work in reall life - and then it absolutely didn't. Also delightful how later she so easily let go of any grudges and accepted Hae Sil. Hong sisters again playing with makjang tropes.

I hope next episode JJ will stop GW from leaving. I also think GW will have to face his father - he can't really build a future if he runs away from the past. I did not get the vibe from GW's dad that he would be a bad man and I'm doubting he is one, not the least because third-parties have always incessantly told the audience how he is such a "bad man" so would it not be expected of the Hong sisters to flip that around? That being said, I see GW's dad coming to Jeju to try and make amends to Hae Sil as a selfish action. It may be well intentioned but it is fundamentally selfish because he is not thinking about what Hae Sil might truly want and need (to not risk dredging up a painful past) but how to appease his guilty conscience. That's a very human flaw though.   

Guest mae-qwerty

Well.....

When I watch ep 1 from this drama, I was bored and not interested in learning it updates the storyline. But because Kang Sora, I still want to watch it and take the time to understand this drama until ep 4, especially the storyline and character development of the main leads. But unexpectedly, oppa YYS able to play a character BGW is very well, as well as with LSJ that as SJG/black pearls ajussi. So, I decided to continue to watch the development of the chemistry between BGW-LJJ and SJG-KHS in this drama and became curious about how the Hong Sisters brings the story of the background which I value not so interesting but it would be a simple romcom drama with storyline interesting and not boring.
It must be recognized that the background story of this drama is actually not so interesting and rather boring to me, but I must admit also Hong Sisters managed to bring the aura this drama becomes romantic, funny and refreshing for me. Hong Sisters is able to present a lot of scenes which I imagine would be romantic, but ended up becoming a cuteness that I be entertained from my fatigue and my stress from work and study.
Thank you very much for many posts on here, I was getting to know and understand about the symbols and others are trying to convey by Hong Sisters in this drama WAC (I was watching the drama Master's sun and WAC alone of all the drama that was written by Hong Sisters and I really liked it and enjoyed to watching them so far).

Good Morning and have nice day for everyone in here :)

-----

@ruzikie...... i miss you, dear... How are you? Hehe... i'm still Quack  Shipper's but sorry...  i'm very busy to doing post in some thread again. So, i only can focus in this thread for now... Peace.... (! have not even had time to watch ep 11 and 12 from Producers drama...huhuhuhu....)

hi darling @angels_natdylax05 @pandalover1 @icemaid @kaiskloset I MISS YOU GUYS XD 

waaaaaaaaaaaah zikie sis ! miss you more. hope you join us for some cray cray stuff kekeke

been soo busy too but comes in here  for WACs deets every breaks lols.

we only have 2 weeks  til finale and there's no releases of possible extension (though next drama- scholar who walks

the night ) have soo many probs in shooting and cast injury that they might prolongue uri drama, still

lets enjoy our weeks together and have fun fun fun still... fighting!

Top Ten K-Drama Moments Of The Week – June Week 2

via

http://www.soompi.com/2015/06/19/top-ten-k-drama-moments-of-the-week-june-week-2/

@packmule3 yay! Love your post! It"s pointing out the obvious and darnnright since it was being overlooked due to impatience from the pace of the drama and from purportedly less OTP moments.

we should take into consideratiom is that even if there seems to be less time shownnto us on JJ and GW, they are sharing an intimacy that Wook will never have... they are living in the same roof, almost the same room and eating in the same table... most of the times.  They might try to fool us of the moments of JJ and Wook so a conflict will form in our minds. We should never miss these points.

I still believe thay we would not dwell much on makjang, this is Warm and Cozy after all. Yes we may get some that will be essential to the story and will allow us to appreciate more for our OTP. I believe GW dad will not just be a plot driver like JJ mom, he will be essential to the further development of our OTP and our story. This might just be th3 right push so that JJ will become tje beacon for GW. 

LET US HOPE FOR THE BEST!

WCbx

Warm and Cozy Week 5 & 6: Promise

http://couch-kimchi.com/2015/06/20/warm-and-cozy-week-5-6-promise/

Is this promise meant to be broken or fulfilled?

Hong Sister’s writing is a hit or miss, even for me. Warm and Cozy is giving me mixed emotions, and I’ve found myself reaching my limit. But I am not blind to see the sparks and the romance this K-drama offers. Amidst the craziness of Gun Woo and his journey to finally admit his love for Jung Joo, drama gave me moments that broke my heart and root for another man. Although we know that Jung Joo already gave her heart long time ago, it’s just now that the owner finally accepted. It took almost forever (Note: 12 Episodes).

After all this, where are we heading?

Episodes 9 to 12 Character highlights:

WCcc

Mayor Hwang“I’ll come by again and again, to bring these to you. Then I hope you eventually feel affection for those flowers and spur you to join me to go see these flowers someday.”

I’ll say you’re referring to your heart more than the flowers. He’s more attractive now than when I first saw him. Anyhow, at this rate we are going, I know his love for Jung Joo will just be in vain. Even if he already introduced his whole clan to her, nothing could change her heart now. Sad. Even though this is the facade his hope is still up, thinking he has a chance. Sweetheart, you’re in deep trouble.

The scene at the theatre and when he saw Gun Woo sitting beside the drunk Jung Joo pierced my heart. I screamed at him [while watching raw] the moment where he got up to leave Jung Joo alone in that tent! It was a mistake to leave especially knowing that someone would come and take his place. True enough minutes later, Gun Woo arrived and sat beside Jung Joo. Mayor Hwang stood in a distance to breathe a sigh of regret, carrying a bag of medicine in his hand. Aww. Its a common sight as we watch his heart shattered. I adore Mayor Hwang because I fondly remember Pil Joo in him. I’ve learned my lesson well from PJ and so this second lead flu will go away soon.

WCby

Jung Joo – I want to personally burst all of her balloon-filled heart for Gun Woo and give a renewed heart that beats only for Mayor Hwang. It’s better for Jung Joo to burst her own bubble thought and get herself out of the reverie. Her imagination is way beyond expectations and just for laughs. These scenarios confuses me at times. Just when I’m already swooning, the feeling is destroyed because it’s not true. It makes me want to push the OTP to the opposite direction. However, Jung Joo is indeed Gun Woo’s twin, she’s also stupid and oblivious. No wonder she easily gives in to Gun Woo’s whim.

But no matter what Gun Woo did, she’d happily cook for him still. She isn’t ashamed to admit that she has fallen for him upfront. What a feisty woman! Her heart is in full control. The illness issue gave way for her to know the sweeter and caring side of Gun Woo. His sincerity and genuine concern made her fall for him even more. Who can blame her? I can’t, because I’m also stupid to love Gun Woo.

Gun Woo

I’m still on the fence with you, dude. But for the love of Yoo Yeon Seok, I’m still swooning over your sweetness and dream that I’m the one doing the pinky swear sealed with your kiss. Hashtag delusional. In moments where I feel frustrated and I would suddenly question the man that is Gun Woo, I’m thrown in a place where I’d prefer Mayor Hwang in a heartbeat. But since you have proven your worth in Week 6, I can forgive you again.

WCca

Gun Woo is messed up because he was so used to playing love like it’s a game with Ji Won. Ji Won expects Gun Woo to become her “ideal” chaebol. I see money, not love. When Jung Joo entered his life, he eventually realised that love isn’t a game where there is a loser or a winner. You just give in, not to lose but to simply love more. Mayor Hwang served as a trigger for his feelings to be ignited. His jealousy made him question himself and he saw Jung Joo’s feelings for him more. For Jung Joo she wants him to be the man he wants to be. What a way to turn things around! Truly, you cannot change a person to become someone they are not, or worse to change someone to your own liking. Gun Woo has found a gem in Jung Joo. This is where I start to see his potential. The stagnant, selfish, childish Gun Woo is slowly vanishing.

Gun Woo was doing things for Jung Joo behind her back. First was with the lady diver ahjumma, and the past week it was Jung Joo’s Mum that he voluntarily helped. If he didn’t care about Jung Joo much, he wouldn’t bother going out of his way to do all these. It is the sweetest gesture a man can do, especially because it is kept hidden that makes the intention pure.

e intention pure.

WCcd

Hae Shil and Oppa Jung Geun

Love is definitely on their side. They are the sweetest couple in this drama. Indeed love doesn’t grow old, and they show it so well. I don’t mind seeing them in a lovey-dovey state all the time.

I think Oppa is trying to shoot his own drama in Jeju. Good thing, its sweet and enjoyable to watch him fall in love with Hae Shil. I’m feeling a lot better just having the two of them onscreen. I can’t talk about Oppa without Hae Shil, so I’d rather give them their own space. After 30 years, Hae Shil loves again and Oppa finally found a woman to share his life with. Nothing can go in between them. Oppa’s sister didn’t even match Hae Shil’s wit and tenacity. So, how can her past matter?? They are mature enough, I hope things work out for good.

Personal Thoughts:

In Episode 9, I felt why I love Yoo Yeon Seok. He has the kind of intensity that makes me feel a heartache like no other. He just looked at his injured hand and I felt tears welling up in my eyes. I felt his heart crushed in that very moment. Every time he comes near Jung Joo, I turn into a puddle of goo. Gun Woo’s struggled this week. I thought it was ineluctable but gone is the childish Gun Woo. *hurray!* If the percentage will be like 100 balloons, I think only 20% is left as Baek choding, and this is slowly bursting away. I know that the childish Gun Woo is cute, but the manly Gun Woo who tries to hold on even when he’s already hurting, that’s the man I want to see more.

WCbz

But all of this changed come Episode 10. The 20 balloons refused to pop!! I’m back being frustrated at Gun Woo. I’m swinging back and fort, I’m not enjoying this feeling anymore. Where is the drama heading?? I know there’s charm in being a man-child but I guess I’ve hit my limit with him. I just want him to love Jung Joo differently and not treat her the way he would with Ji Won. It’s a sincere wish. No more child play. It took forever before Gun Woo reached the point where he admitted he likes Jung Joo for real.

Then again, he’d be back in the same stupid state come Episode 11. I feel like we’ve been circling in his childish love forever. Gun Woo allowed Jung Joo to like him but he did not reciprocate any of it. It is bad to lead a woman’s heart to like a man who has no intention of pursuing her in building a relationship with. But as the whole picture come into full view, I understand why Gun Woo is the man that he is. All this time that he only has his eyes on Ji Won, playing along with her mind games, love isn’t the central focus. In fact there’s no love, it’s just the thought of having Ji Won that mattered to him. She became the reason behind the Warm and Cozy because he was hoping to have her by his side. He was waiting for her all this time, but she never came. This is a clear sign, but Baek choding is stupid. Jung Joo came and we saw how Gun Woo slowly changed. When Ji Won finally visited the restaurant our man is waiting for someone else already. The transition is messy, and it didn’t transcend smoothly as I would want it. Good thing, the characters really gives the right feeling in my favourite scenes or else, I already bow out.

WCcb

Gun Woo’s father is back in Episode 12 that hinted of an inevitable problem that might affect Gun Woo’s family. His father killed Hae Shil’s husband 30 years ago. Hae Shil is dating Oppa now, and Gun Woo thinks he’d cause them trouble if his father shows up. IMO, I don’t see how Dad’s comeback will affect anyone. Though Hae Shil may react differently, then again Oppa has nothing to do with Gun Woo’s father so I take that it wouldn’t change her love for Oppa. She’s a tough woman, and Oppa won’t let her go easily. Gun Woo thought about these consequences and decided to leave without even asking Oppa for advice.

Separation is in the midst. Will it be significant if Gun Woo and Jung Joo separate now? This separation comes from an external conflict that has nothing to do with the main couple. However if this will give Gun Woo an added depth in his character, I’ll go along with it. I just hope the last four episode will have better execution.

Make it work, Hong Sister’s!!

Archived