[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

Episode 23

The Ministers of the Court stage a Ji Bu Sang So (지부상소, 持斧上疏). 

This is a protest that petition to the King does not redress their grievances

The meaning to the axe that if their petition is not address then they will use the axe to cut their heads off as a sign of protest...taking their own lives to redress their grievances...although I doubt that they will actually take their lives with that axe

33995375745_bbb0e272b2_z.jpg

Ji Bu Sang So (지부상소, 持斧上疏) stage in the MBC drama "Flower in Prison"

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@gerrytan8063 It's really a shame none of the Ministers of Public Nuisance did any harm to themselves, deliberately or otherwise, though I highly doubt the axes would be lethal enough to do themselves much harm. I think it's not quite possible to behead oneself, and they probably made sure they brought blunt axes along just to be on the safe side :tongue:

And as always, thank you @andy78 and @Yongzura for the live recaps!

On 11/04/2017 at 5:49 PM, gerrytan8063 said:

I watched ep 23 international version. It is entirely in historical timeline although the previous episode shows some preview of modern timeline. 

It is catching up with with SBS version of SS meeting YG for the first time after 2 years at her art workshop until the king granted release of MCH. 

The difference I noticed is the scene where SS reads the letter from YG when he returns her paintings. The voiceover of SS saying 'thinking of his love and grace, and his heart remains the same' is not aired. I really prefer SBS version of this scene. It is more impactful and heartfelt when SS reciprocate YG's gesture.

Gosh, I cannot wait for tomorrow. Is the SBS version of ep 24 airing tomorrow? Coz i heard there's a special live event going on? I will update tomorrow. 

@Farah Ayuni

"Is the SBS version of ep 24 airing tomorrow?"

Episode 24 is schedule for next week, it had been shelved

@liddi

"I think it's not quite possible to behead oneself,"

33182669113_7c14cba3bb_z.jpg

It is a great piece of dramatic tool or prop to state your case. Here Prince Neungyang (능양도정, 綾陽都正 later Injo) doing his Ji Bu Sang So (지부상소, 持斧上疏) in MBC drama "Hwajung"

7 minutes ago, gerrytan8063 said:

@Farah Ayuni

"Is the SBS version of ep 24 airing tomorrow?"

Episode 24 is schedule for next week, it had been shelved

Thanks @gerrytan8063. I checked my TV schedule, ep 24 is scheduled as usual for tomorrow night. Would that mean the international version will be ahead by 1 episode? Hmm, that would be weird but would give us some time to catch up with the historical timeline. 

1 hour ago, Farah Ayuni said:

Thanks @gerrytan8063. I checked my TV schedule, ep 24 is scheduled as usual for tomorrow night. Would that mean the international version will be ahead by 1 episode? Hmm, that would be weird but would give us some time to catch up with the historical timeline. 

Is this the preview for Ep 24 in Korea too? So many important things happening. Omooo.. Be still my heart. 

Being firmly set in the past, the international version Ep23 brings us through familiar scenes, opening with King Jungjong testing his subjects by declaring his wish to abdicate, and culminating with him rewarding Hwieumdang's role in saving the princess by releasing MCH, which makes it 2.5 episodes behind SBS. Plot wise, there is nothing new except for additional scenes and difference in music direction, which this time, works far better for me than SBS' even though the SBS version is just as strong and evocative.

Some additional scenes as well as similar scenes which evokes different emotions due to the music direction:

Longer scene of Royal Concubine Nam's audience with the king, She asks how he is feeling to which he apologises for making her worry. According to her, everyone within and without the palace are panicking, so he must get well soon. Slyly, she mentions that since the throne is empty, there is no peace in the palace, and every moment there is scheming going on. One of the virtues of a king is to always be wary of those around them. However, the innocent Crown Prince is being surrounded by arrogant people, who are corrupting his eyes and ears.

The exact same scene when Saimdang walks away after her confrontation with YWS, but different background music, starting with silence as she leaves him behind, then a crescendo as YWS collapses in the realisation of what he has lost, and her tumulteous emotions finally allowed to come to the fore as she hangs on to Mrs. Jang for emotional and physical support. Spot on.

An extended scene of the selling of Saimdang's paintings and Gyeom finally buying them up. Here we have an additional scene where one of the potential buyers calls the seller over and asks how much the landscape painting costs. The seller states that this is the work of an extremely renowned artist and the price will be determined by him. The potential buyer starts criticising the work, saying it looks odd, and asks if there is nothing bigger. In annoyance, the seller tells him to take it or leave it, and walks off in a huff.

The scene when Gyeom restores her paintings ending with her painting the butterfly next to his peony and looking at the finished work with quiet peace (we see the extended version of Saimdang's response in the beginning of SBS Ep21). While we do not have Saimdang's voiceover response, to me, I love this version far more because of the impeccable musical direction. The One's "Going To You", vividly capturing Gyeom's heart, is beautifully counterpointed by poignant silence as at last Saimdang permits herself to hear him and accept his gesture, followed by the sweeping strings that accompany her as she paints in response, buoyed and enveloped by the safe harbour and peace that his love brings, finally allowing their hearts to meet once more, through their art. Mesmerising.

The GTV preview continues to emphasise on the historical timeline. Nonetheless I continue to hold out hope seeing Oh!K's trailer shows us scenes from present day. To be honest, with all the developments from the previews lately, I am starting to be concerned that the storyline leading to the finale will be rushed after all, with only 7 episodes left. Fingers crossed it continues to deliver all the way.

It is reported that Saimdang will be cut from 30 to 28 episodes... noooo!  :crazy: :( 

Can anyone confirm if this is affecting just the SBS version, or is the international version going to be shortened as well?
EDIT: Google translating the Naver article seems to indicate this is referring to the SBS version, with drastic removal of scenes which they deem unnecessary for story development and rearrangement of story composition.

Either way, this is extremely disappointing news. Why why why?! Now I really am sceptical if they will be able to wrap the story up satisfactorily with the reduction of at least 2 hours :( 

@liddi

"It is reported that Saimdang will be cut from 30 to 28 episodes... "

It will be obvious that it will have to be shorten like the rest of the other dramas e.g. Dailies facing the same fate.....as the Korean election is on May 9th, no one will be interested to see dramas when the election fever is at high pitch. We already had a teaser with the shelved of today's episode

News is the most watch genre in Korea

@gerrytan8063 Do you think it's due to elections, or also the ratings? I have not heard other dramas in similar broadcasting times being reduced, so I am inclined to believe the ratings play a significant role in this decision too. Whatever it is, I am frustrated that the story will be further butchered with even more scenes cut, which has me extremely concerned how cohesive the final product will be. My only hope is that the international version is not affected and we will see the vision in full, as it was originally intended. Please let it be so!

On a more positive note, does this then mean you might get to watch the finale before your business trip after all? :wink: 

@gerrytan8063 It's good to know you will be able to follow the drama to its conclusion on this thread too. Interestingly enough, the international version should end on 4th May as well, barring no reduction in episodes while SBS' will preempt their broadcast on 13 Apr and 3 May. Honestly, SBS needn't have tried so hard to align with the international broadcast :tongue: Seriously though, I read that the ratings dropped to its lowest yet for last night, at 8.5%, which is mind-boggling, considering the cat and mouse game that was played throughout the episode. Sigh.

2 hours ago, liddi said:

It is reported that Saimdang will be cut from 30 to 28 episodes... noooo!  :crazy: :( 

Can anyone confirm if this is affecting just the SBS version, or is the international version going to be shortened as well?
EDIT: Google translating the Naver article seems to indicate this is referring to the SBS version, with drastic removal of scenes which they deem unnecessary for story development and rearrangement of story composition.

Either way, this is extremely disappointing news. Why why why?! Now I really am sceptical if they will be able to wrap the story up satisfactorily with the reduction of at least 2 hours :( 

That's too bad. :( That's not a wise decision. It has some serious implications on how well or bad it's doing at the ratings chart.

As a common practice, dramas and programs are even extended due to audience demand. DJG, for one, had to be extended for four more episodes and probably even beyond that had LYA not begged off. That's because the audience couldn't get enough of it.

But for a program to be cut off? That's very rare. Some productions would even come up with twisted and sometimes illogical plotlines if only to stretch the airtime to take advantage of the high ratings.

I hope the production asked LYA's and SSH's blessings first before they decided on this. Because this would be part of their career history. It's a marker, so to speak. I hope the production has at least considered the long-term impact of this decision to their stellar careers. In a seasonal, episodic series, this is like canceling the show before the season ends due to poor ratings.

These are two of the esteemed stars who made Korean dramas a global byword. I thought a little respect goes a long way.

Not everything is about ratings. :angry:

@liddi

" I read that the ratings dropped to its lowest yet for last night, at 8.5%, which is mind-boggling, considering the cat and mouse game that was played throughout the episode. Sigh."

Currently at the moment, there are more matters that is occupying the interest of the Korean public than watching dramas

Archived