[Drama 2017] Saimdang, Light's Diary 사임당, 빛의 일기

Kaizen68

Some culture insights

You may find that every Joseon man will wear a gat (갓, general terms for a Joseon hat for men, also known as Heukrip  흑립, 黑笠, literally the black hat)

It also had class definition, the wider the brim (양태) of the hat, the higher the social class

33929221962_8cecb464a4_n.jpg

Yi Gyeom's nephew versus Hwieumdang Paper shop storekeeper

33929239612_c8e76df9d1_n.jpg

Yi Mae Chang lends her elder brother Yi Seon's gat for Dohwaseo entrance exam

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/14/2017 at 4:11 PM, liddi said:

@gerrytan8063 I think you have dumbfounded many a guide during your visits... the prominent featuring of the Yi family on their currency, and the language :D Well said though... which perhaps might set them thinking what the answer should be, in preparation of the next tourist who asks the same questions.

The Wiki entry of Sino-Korean vocabulary is a fascinating read, particularly the comparison between Hangul, Hanja, Japanese and Chinese. My first step in trying to learn the vocabulary, aside from what little I had previously picked up from 3+ years of kdrama watching. 

Is this a new still? The hairstyle looks to be of SJY at her meeting with RADE, but the bag is different. Hope SBS and Naver continue to release BTSes despite the episode cuts...

cr. Lee Young Ae VietNam Fanpage Facebook

It's not a still. She just went to art gallery on Friday. By the way, I'm an admin of Lee Young Ae Vietnam Fanpage Fb ^^~

7 hours ago, Jay Gatsby said:

It's not a still. She just went to art gallery on Friday. By the way, I'm an admin of Lee Young Ae Vietnam Fanpage Fb ^^~

@Jay Gatsby Thank you very much for the clarification - it was nice to do speculations while it lasted :tongue: But more importantly, thank you so much for sharing all the BTSes and stills - your FB and Youtube channels are truly a gift to those of us who cannot view them from Naver. Please do continue to join us here on the thread :) 

5 hours ago, liddi said:

@Jay Gatsby Thank you very much for the clarification - it was nice to do speculations while it lasted :tongue: But more importantly, thank you so much for sharing all the BTSes and stills - your FB and Youtube channels are truly a gift to those of us who cannot view them from Naver. Please do continue to join us here on the thread :) 

You're welcome and thanks for loving her drama so much. I will update BTS on page for you guys :D 

You know you've got it bad when you get excited to find two more characters cross over to the modern timeline, until you realise you are seeing them in another drama :blink:

Ming Imperial Messenger:

Spoiler

tssee0flD_tXf_QjGVaP1a0eGvOKisHYmzbH8UjUERuPTjHgHGmN-Y5D6bAwnui-IEVoTaEE7Ia0gCZqIUbjgTVa6ntMbY_fYTGIvFlGDAhpiZt5yIQedzPlLxRiAgz75em9oZZlX7q_WN_Wc9RFjv65PiZSnO2TnOGnalaShDcFWGBhsHMlZaN3yguaYwGkDaZUFH4aHLPvINidWSMlr49uPWfTa80j1wxqGwlYhb2BK1T_I_R47mDoA3wzJCb2Eln1TveRtLFoeWnIUoLJf_tliNugGveAo_4Oxx9bSyahE9yCZU1AjOUjOzKpdlvbTyLJfZWKKxg0wiHZexJBllo3jVM8ALW3rsf0IIqG0wflafUNu598J8auwYUjhzclqHzaTqy6DlcO9ovAKRAovdyOCUhyjyohBmtOKerQhtsYu11LVNHUH9P8qApt1Oh_VkoBVO4K_BCRV9dfv8IvdUW8tw0ysvByhJLQK_B1O9OFIM5KBQzEiFZZhZLYxpyWzNNWOJ5umQlbVgrH2npXherMGRbM4MScWjRSQuRdznSqUNDtUtISLzw1kMuEuatf5vMBdZYk117t6VaQKRHRwZtYKJmzYwQcM3KjPwkImgUq8Xdu8gJRvEeTaX7f8HScRRdzAi6BiGj0nlZJAvKf5oZPqmxQCJxg=w640-h369-no

As serial killer Jung Ho Young in Tunnel:

DGrNN3_VDVIJpeztNS_941feP3IT4yOorGC0d5atITMck-YmdNrB4DLTI0I_smdMXD72Vcr7ds70aQjeOSmLO-acVrUcyyK1kQs-0cZjAO48SIq_IvzZ5lR50PzZIC1WDCrWXg_ct2T1mRz7UmZV0PaKBoeY8Xx7JH-JVGDb-85u22EdxkjBfee_W2JnV-lr8O0PZ0-jWCIN7YkTcixuKC_4bKbBbJguCgqFjIyZN6TJ-5477_KUUDCsJAzrYe8zFjUpr3Z-x7LwuFm3uacZXKCbw9lJ3FymFj8VrHz9efx2EiJp0SEP5rW_ikyDVbjjW6kLr5Qfnzf5OJ4yQf08D4Uju71KVzxUTsK7V87nEEyt3_z6nIVNU2PFemiFeak_XT1HE-BI95t73TgDgEO6wEDrcyBUq9boG0zW9vkzBIhYqyle_dgkU3v0_a2yR7h5GCLqXvgpSEes5N_0OETwdLF5JToo96R91he_v0aSSUf6t6USZruvlyfCnV0nDWxrZ3XCWgf5oqMdi-UtLwXQBBafQjJjpRwDW6u0VdZUWkPR-3ltrrIvFz_PaJLlkFR7iFnN3XeawOsVhYyMRvfzT_HuPN83y5mWTquqHX8hP6G1rBPIMFHT_zZhuooXyCvLGQnKuuuhu_7zjhCigFGR2HAQEvVrcr8g=w640-h369-no

Shin Myung Hwa:

Spoiler

rOeeRMBhXDTiJ1gPjmbR3OXdlCRSlxgJqRxAk6XC8VGEZVRaOoaJZe4L-7WwNH5ROIJwDZ7Lhg4om0uU0uFcyuvthzj9ioeRVRSun0D8ehsuMLOrlm1eFAvDw2UXT81Ldkb5qSAsSXwu-HWoAELLj1K8AFBJLZ20djNZiuhQFh-YvPUnJUyS61qvj70_5bd8lxCIQ49J91fsoqF9W9vSzEIIJYPmHo960TAVDQQnTGUafS3uQTrg-yCwKlJeduGeppLVTFbNuAQyghyPa2k5xfNsJsZBESVSTin2R2wzmN3v3rijXs3C-mNJKReeRJrujTsyUNbVDozYMo7oNtdDGfrkgGgzvnTXCY03-D_T7mWZ6DDkCrzMc6zO56WZTEFUKkXBXdbjMhKH-3_BLnwZsPPYdtupH1nNTdxO9nKT_ySKmVXSoPUgooSo6hmkmgwr0GDn4NpmMIdNmRzYQTAIenypUH8q3v9egZQxwuUCVozmJu9cvCOHpoKRh6y1rywBXSU-99IWaygoMcel1GytiPJyXmQA5iMvhtCQzamSEY9MoSQu175YXiPQ3oSNvFrY1wwqBq093OVOEOWywKHF0d9Pw43YQ_L3B4hnpGTGsuaA6p3J9yjk6zTDCx8z4Iwn4DATVfmoxyZ1UdjQ3yFE8SFxJxa4zKlD=w640-h369-no

As pharmacist Yoo Sung Jae in Tunnel:

ODJY2qQqnOhV8_X8md6G08hSFaoAONQj6JoWt45VoPdaV91J0oEo0-YE6RACzI9o1gOWks3A89fVhhXDQmombzbU_7E-Eg_pRHZjW0CZKQAoWHJ91sWAK60vrsOykmPBgTd_VfX2Jeo3wxVk7KJSMn-bLlcQNMPOcZ_mIhyTs-iig7nNWD2vTSnnk8UAiCx8mFMLwTdX2gtWmc1vq-B4yeI2ZKebDujj-GjbwpBZRE9WK564UDTgjN7LEChhjj6bDYCFphtMVDuG2TkwN3DubMvf7pMhFRd6E5K5BvQ4jTzMwybGFP53uCzuZYu0h7jB6LCj3RzzX7LpaNW9G-i0uHqUNKUKqTdEaidq7OHH0AMDet1cq0T4bnBquswPwAja6RNJGtjD2eu7NtLz7FSCEjP8OQ_jk0twjXfJaEK-gfSFA9IyWZDOEMO6M0pAVzPRWKjplMNicPzfHKYz3GxiLyYdL68b8Wt-kOSRXqeynpiw_Z6ZlF6UNGsGB9dIwkJa0z213-BL7TXb0sy43Q8NC-NU9v-xgGGyDQkStwHjIREqr1jkVhk7dhCYTwvF3jpwnejWNP_n9mgCbaYQnzh-xd7i3iQ_REsH1W8a3QQodxAcMv_db2yYeLCx3mAMjdrbbfw-etu97ByiHab5ADQQ2VYOAldlqo4t=w640-h369-no

@gerrytan8063 It never fails to amaze me how many skills Hwieumdang amassed over the years, including archery. In the physical sense, she is a lot more of an all-rounder than Saimdang was :tongue: 

To be honest, I was a little disappointed when King Jungjong's portrait was revealed. I can't place my gripe about it since the eyes, the nose, the features are very much like the real man, yet I cannot shake off the sense of disquiet when I look at it. Perhaps I expected it to be more true-to-life, like Portrait of a Beauty, while here, the man himself, sickly though he may be, looks far better than the portrait?. Ah well...

And... it's Wednesday!

SLD to be broadcast in the Philippines

(1) From "9 Upcoming GMA Network Shows to watch out for this 2017 at http://www.lionheartv.net/2016/12/gma-network-2017/3/

(2) From http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/showbiz/pep/594486/ang-pagbabalik-ng-mulawin-at-iba-pang-mga-programang-aabangan-sa-gma-7-ngayong-2017/story

HEART OF ASIA/BLOCKBUSTER MOVIES. GMA-7 also revealed the upcoming Korean drama series they will air this 2017.

"Jewel in the Palace" actress Lee Young-Ae returns on K-dramas via "Saimdang, Light's Diary." This period drama is scheduled to air this January 26 in South Korea."

Notes:

"A Jewel in the Palace" and Lee Young-ae are so popular in the Philippines that the drama has been broadcast three times already (first time sometime in 2005 or 2006; the second time about six months later; and the third time after "My Love from The Star" became a hit sometime in 2014).

From the video below, you'll see the actresses who played Lady Han and the young Jang Geum being mobbed when they visited the Philippines (0:49 mark to 0:59). Would anyone know what happened to the child actress who played the young Jang Geum?

@plainenglish That's great news! I'm glad that the drama is continuing to make inroads into other countries, even if it is under-appreciated by its domestic viewers. I wonder which version will be aired in Philippines. Fingers crossed it will be the international version.

1 hour ago, plainenglish said:

'A Jewel in the Palace" and Lee Young-ae are so popular in the Philippines that the drama has been broadcast three times already (first time sometime in 2005 or 2006; the second time about six months later; and the third time after "My Love from The Star" became a hit sometime in 2014).

From the video below, you'll see the actresses who played Lady Han and the young Jang Geum being mobbed when they visited the Philippines (0:49 mark to 0:59). Would anyone know what happened to the child actress who played the young Jang Geum?

Thank you for the video clips... It was phenomenal when it was shown around Asia and I can still watch it again and again without feeling bored at all. Tonight I'm watching the international version online and seeing another character crossing the modern timeline.  Glad to see that JY is ready to fight again.

* Will be watching the SBS version soon.

38 minutes ago, Jay Gatsby said:

I just watched EP 24 SBS version.

It broke my heart so deeply :(

It hurts so much when I saw Saimdang left again. I think Saimdang loves Gyeom so much but she couldn't do anything :(

Oh my. I have to watch it tomorrow when the english subtitle is out. Waiting for you liddi to summarize. Hehe.

Episode 24

When Shin Saimdang closes the paper mill & gave the staff remunerations for them to return to their hometown to have a decent livelihood, Jeongseon Arirang a 600 years old song from a poem was sang mournfully

Jeongseon is a County in Gangwon-do, although Gangwon-do does have its own variation of the Arrirang  

http://www.unesco.org/archives/multimedia/?pg=33&s=films_details&id=3766

Play the video, starts at 3:00, you will hear the lyrics being sung "It might be snowing or raining or beginning of the rainy season, black clouds are overspreading above Man Su san Mountain.....Arirang, arirang, arariyo,

Arirang is the quintessential the Korean folk song, which represent the bittersweet emotions of the Korean people that every Korean can sing the song. There are many variations of Arirang, which vary depending on regions. Jeongseon Arirang, which is sung in Jeongseon, a remote mountain of Gangwon-do, is famous for its mellow tune. “Will it snow or rain, or pour for the season? Dark clouds are gathering above Mansusan Mountain. Why does the sweet briar rose blossom if it is not Myeongsasimni? Why do cuckoos sing if it is not March? Oh, ferryman of the Auraji, let me cross the river. The leaves of oldongbak (Gourd) in Ssarigol village are falling. The fallen dongbak lies on dead leaves. I cannot live as I miss my love all year round.”

The lyrics of Jeongseon Arirang describe the sorrows of a person who is isolated in a remote mountain village. The village is located on the outskirts of the Baekdudaegan Mountain Range, the remotest area of Jeongseon, Gangwon-do.

Archived