[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] The Four 少年四大名捕

jwand

@themarchioness, I just love your post. It highlights so many things I love about this show. 

About Heartless, that’s an interesting point about falling for Li Mo because it was safe. It fits his seeming penchance for suffering. I admit I have always wondered what Coldblood would think if he found out. It kind of reminds me of the time Coldblood came to the realization that he was experiencing “romantic” pangs for Li Mo after watching her fall asleep on the horse while leaning her face on Heartless’ back. ^_^ He was questioning when did those feelings for Li Mo start and then rationally convinced himself not to be jealous. Heh. At least he was aware that his feelings had changed before they headed to the valley to fight Wen Ru Yi. 

Something I found interesting is that when Yao Hua asked Li Mo to consider her (Yao Hua’s)love for Coldblood before starting anything with him, Li Mo’s rebuttal always focused on her belief that it was impossible for Coldblood to like her. It seemed it didn’t cross her mind to convince Yao Hua by saying that she doesn’t have any feelings for him. I always found it strange that she didn’t take that approach because in the past when Yao Hua’s friends and Heartless talked about Coldblood to her she was always outspoken about her emotional stance on Coldblood. Here, however, she never talked about her feelings or lack thereof to allay Yao Hua’s fears.

Another thing, I really wonder why Yao Hua was so convinced that Coldblood liked Li Mo and would start a relationship any day soon with her. She said that it’s because Coldblood gets angry with Li Mo when he usually acts indifferent but I still found it strange that she was so convinced that she asked Li Mo not to start anything with Coldblood without considering her.

I love that moment of realization too when Li Mo hears for the first time that Coldblood wasn’t the one who issued a ban against her. I find it so funny how Coldblood knows that Chun Ping has a thing for him and totally disregards it. LOL I wonder how he feels knowing these women like him. I would find it burdensome but he actually just treats them normal.

Yeah, he sure was bent out of shape over Li Mo getting tricked into visiting the men’s bath area. On some level he seemed to have understood that she was tricked yet he still acted unreasonably towards Li Mo. I’d say those feelings of his had already began to change and grow and I like that it began before she rescued him with her mind reading. I suppose it doesn’t matter how love begins but I like that he was falling for her pre-discovery of her ability to help him.

I also get a kick out of his resistance against her in the beginning knowing the future of their relationship. I always start with his original refusal to obey the emperor’s order because capturing a bunch of women was not a priority to him. As usual, Zhuge reminded them of his authority and they were sent on their way. Eh, Zhuge is almost like their unintentional matchmaker. He sent Li Mo to Coldblood as Coldblood’s maid and then sent her on that journey where they actually became official.

I haven’t watched H2H lately either. I’m living on memories. LOL Yeah, the heart has to be prepared for the London arc. I still say however, that it’s melodrama is not as painful as those melodrama out there that leave a viewer broken and spent. I like me some melodrama but there are some that literally gave me a headache while watching them and after completing them. With H2H I can withstand the angst quite well except when I see WN almost like she’s having a nervous breakdown. That’s the most difficult part of the show for me especially after all those beautiful moments they shared at the dream house. One of those beautiful moments being the morning after and our couple looking quite beautiful while cuddling. I think JC looked especially beautiful in that scene too.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@celebrianna, that's a good question about what Cold Blood would think if he found out about Wu Qin's growing affection for Li Mo.  I'm not sure what would happen but one guess is that they're both such reasonable/rational people and good friends that they'd probably just sit down and talk it out.  It is interesting though that for someone so observant as Cold Blood that is one thing he never seemed to notice.  But the same could be said for Li Mo.  It's like once they were together, they were completely oblivious to how others felt about them (minus the obvious Yao Hua and Princess).  One scene that always stands out to me is the one where Cold Blood invites Wu Qin to stay and have dinner with them.  It was such a homey little scene, to basically see Cold Blood and Li Mo playing house together while they waited out ASG.  And then when Li Mo goes to serve a bite of her vegetables, you know Wu Qin was expecting her to serve him (and honestly, I was expecting it too because it is the customary/polite thing to do, to serve the guest first) and instead she serves Cold Blood. 

It's funny you mentioned the scene where Cold Blood had his internal monologue over seeing Li Mo fall asleep while riding the horse with Wu Qin, because I rewatched that scene last night and was totally going to comment on it as well.  I was so glad the drama gave us that internal monologue moment!  It was cutely echoed in that moment where Li Mo wondered why she was feeling jealous seeing Princess rush into Cold Blood's arms.

As for Li Mo's response to Yao Hua, I think the reason she didn't deny having feelings for Cold Blood (as she had in the past when others pestered her about it) was because she was starting to have growing feelings for him.  Therefore, she answered based only on what she knew -- I'm sure she never imagined that Cold Blood would be into her as well, given how much they were always at each other's throats.  But that was the thing.  The two of them (Li Mo and Cold Blood) were too close to the situation and couldn't see what was right in front of them.  For the people around them though, it was like a mating dance.  :P  I think Yao Hua actually made a good point in observing the different ways in which he treated Li Mo as compared to others.  He could be indifferent to others (including his hordes of adoring fans) because they didn't matter to him.  But, Li Mo was different.  Even though he didn't particularly want her, she was his.  She became his when he found her by the cliff.  And even though it was the other three who wanted to keep her at the Bureau, and he was the one who still wanted to send her back to the palace, their plan to keep her wouldn't have worked without his agreement.  Then there was the moment when he caught her outside the Bureau and got her past the guards by telling them she/he was with him.  And of course, she literally became his again when she was tasked to be his personal maid.  (The examples go on, really!) 

There was also just something about her that stirred up the feelings in Cold Blood.  Wu Qin commented on that a few times, but the one that sticks with me is that moment where he pointed out to Cold Blood how alike he and Li Mo were. 

I really like how despite himself he always ended up looking out for her.  The first of those times was with the ban order.  When Wu Qin asked her to help her out, he was all, "Whatevs," but in the end he did.  Similarly, when he overheard the other female deputies suggesting that Li Mo serve as the trap for the rapist, he was there to save the day.  (Btw, loved how he didn't give two figs about the other deputies having been tied up by the rapist and just grabbed Li Mo's hand to drag her out of there.  I also love the way he threw his sword back into his place once they returned to his quarters.  Not gonna lie, that was kinda hot.  LOL.) 

I also like that his feelings for Li Mo started to turn before she saved him with her mind reading, but I would add that it was more than her mind reading from that incident that helped to change his feelings.  I think it was also hearing her thoughts when she watched him sleep in the aftermath.  Definitely, for her, I think that was an awakening moment as she learned there were reasons for why he was the way he was.  I mean, Wu Qin had been saying similar things to her already (that he wasn't really a cold-hearted person, etc.) but she finally got to witness his past first hand through his memories.  I think her expressions of understanding touched him on some level as notice how the moment she leaves his bedside, he opens his eyes, which suggests he wasn't really sleeping the entire time but only pretending.

And haha, ZGWG is totally their unintentional matchmaker!  He acknowledges as much in that one conversation that he has with Cold Blood in the cave (the one where Cold Blood tells him that he has decided to finally trust his gut and believe that his adopted father is not responsible for the devastation of his clan).  Towards the end of that conversation Cold Blood gives a lot of credit for his changed outlook on Li Mo and tells ZGWG that he now understands whey the latter sent the former to him, and ZGWG laughs saying that he only thought her mind reading skills would be useful for him, and that everything else is their own.  It's cute.

Something else I wanted to comment on based on my today's rewatch, I found in interesting that after Cold Blood and Li Mo fell off the cliff, Yao Hua was convinced that Cold Blood was dead and told everyone else the same.  But when Li Mo later fell off the cliff by herself, Cold Blood was convinced she was still alive.  Similarly, when Li Mo finally made it back home and found that it was Cold Blood's turn to be missing, she knew that he was alive and needed her.  If that's not called being connected by the heart, I don't know what is.  :wub:

Spoiler

I seriously think my memory is making the London scene out to be way worse than it is, but it doesn't help to have The Four in my back pocket either.  Without this drama I'm sure I would've kept going on with my H2H rewatch, but since I have The Four to turn to instead, it only serves to aid me in my procrastination.  I just need to rip off the band-aid.  Intellectually, I know this.  In practice.... Li Mo and Cold Blood are just too adorable.  :lol:  But I finally finished rewatching the beginning of the The Four (up to ep 21) so I think I move back to H2H.... fingers crossed.

@themarchioness, it didn’t even occur to me that Li Mo should’ve served Heartless first. I just thought she was acting like a wife and taking care of her husband first. LOL It’s so cute how Coldblood was sitting at the head of the table like the man of the house. I was also sympathetic towards Heartless in that scene but I thought it was the risk he took in going to see them knowing his feelings about the loss of Ru Yan and any growing feelings he had towards Li Mo. He did look hurt when Chaser had originally announced to both him and Iron Fist that Li Mo told Zhuge that she loved Coldblood and that’s why she wanted to go look for him despite the danger. He also looked hurt when he saw Coldblood and Li Mo living the life he wanted with Ru Yan and saw their bracelets that were used to pledge their engagement to each other. :wub:

Coldblood is so rational that I prefer Li Mo’s jealous moment. She actually had this expression of unbelief on her face when she saw the princess rush into Coldblood’s arms. This was the first time I ever saw JC act and I have so say that by the time I finished this drama I thought her acting was quite natural. I always looked out for her reaction in that scene. Coldblood’s internal monologue confirming his notice of the change in his feelings was a gift for me. I wanted to know if he had realized the change in his feelings.

LOL Reading your take on Li Mo becoming Coldblood’s person was amusing and I agree. Chaser said it best too when he told Coldblood that Li Mo was his fate since he was the one who saved her and brought her into the bureau. I find it kind of funny that though Heartless was always helping her, Coldblood always end up with the responsibility for her. 

Since Li Mo can read minds and hearts, I think she might have an inkling of Coldblood’s change in feelings towards her even though she might not have recognized them as romantic. I know she knew he was acting contrary to his heart when he falsely told her that he didn’t want her to go on the mission to Long Xi. Heh.  I guess he was in fact happy. LOL All those months away from the bureau might not have been bearable otherwise. 

I think Li Mo perhaps stirred Coldblood’s feelings because she was unlike the other women he was close to. Li Mo might be the first woman whom he met that was so openly antagonistic to him. LOL He’s always saying that she’s sharp tongued and full of schemes. I personally think on some level that attracted him. Heh. 

I also loved all the times he rescued her but the one in episode 15 with the bait and trap was a pivotal moment to me. Before he grabs her hand, they were standing face to face and there was that pronounced moment where they just stared into each other’s eyes and then he grabbed her hand. Speaking of this trap, those female deputies really have a serious failure of conscience. How could they set up another female to be raped? They stood still outside while Li Mo was ringing the bell. I wouldn’t wish rape on my worse enemy. Terrible people. They shouldn’t be deputies.

About him throwing his sword,  I wasn’t sure if it was thrown to its sheath. Was it really? Speaking of hot, I like when he grabbed his sword from the sheath after he heard Heartless outside his residence fighting the Nine tail fox. Actually, I find both moments hawt.

Yes, I also think he was touched by the words Li Mo said when he was pretend sleeping after the wolf poison incident. I also think that he was probably moved by the fact that someone else understood his true feelings. One of the things that Li Mo said to Zhuge was that Coldblood was burdened by carrying the tragedy of the massacre of his clan all by himself. So now here is someone who “truly” understood very well what he was feeling and what he went through and someone who was encouraging him to not lose himself to this burden. 

How cute was it when Chaser went to visit Coldblood the next day he began asking him if when he looked into such a pretty girl’s eyes if any sparks happened between them. LOL I love that moment with Chaser when they’re teasing each other about tickling each other. Heh. We see the playful side of Coldblood for the first time.

Ah yes, I concur. Once those two acknowledged their love for each other, their hearts were connected. I loved when Li Mo admitted to Zhuge that she loved Coldblood. That was a beautiful moment. I wonder if Zhuge suspected Coldblood because he was sure surprised by Li Mo’s confession. He probably thought that Coldblood only went to look for his comrades.

You should only watch H2H when your heart is ready though. After the London scene, the angst is less painful. There’s always NX and GF’s friendship to look forward to as well.

Argh.  I totes remembered earlier what it was I'd wanted to say the day before, but I was in the middle of watching, "Shall We Live Together?" and so didn't write it down immediately.  Now I wish I had because I've forgotten it again.  Gah.  Oh well.  If I remembered it once, I'll remember it again, right?

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

it didn’t even occur to me that Li Mo should’ve served Heartless first. I just thought she was acting like a wife and taking care of her husband first. LOL It’s so cute how Coldblood was sitting at the head of the table like the man of the house. I was also sympathetic towards Heartless in that scene but I thought it was the risk he took in going to see them knowing his feelings about the loss of Ru Yan and any growing feelings he had towards Li Mo. He did look hurt when Chaser had originally announced to both him and Iron Fist that Li Mo told Zhuge that she loved Coldblood and that’s why she wanted to go look for him despite the danger. He also looked hurt when he saw Coldblood and Li Mo living the life he wanted with Ru Yan and saw their bracelets that were used to pledge their engagement to each other. :wub:

Oh yes!  It wasn't something that bothered me here, because I love Li Mo/Cold Blood so much, and because I recognized the point the drama was trying to make in including such a scene, but culturally speaking, that would actually be considered quite rude.  LOL.  If the two of them had been alone, then Li Mo's actions would have been perfectly normal/acceptable -- as you noted, it'd simply be the act of one spouse taking care of another.  But when in the company of others, particularly as the hosts, they should be looking out for Wu Qin first.  When I go out to eat with my parents and their friends it's almost comical watching how they jockey to serve each other, with the person being served trying to fend off the person serving them as they say, "Zi ji lai," (Everyone do it themselves).  But the thing is, while they may say "Zi ji lai," in one breath, in the next they're standing up to either serve the person back and/or serve the next person next to them.  LOL. 

I noted the same things you noted about that scene (especially the way the looked at their bracelets), but on additional thought, I wonder if Wu Qin wasn't caught off guard a little because at the time Cold Blood and Li Mo's relationship transitioned, he was so caught up in his Ru Yan world.  Then, after he lost Ru Yan, it was just him and Li Mo at the tribal village (with his lost memories, no less).  He hadn't been paying attention to Li Mo and Cold Blood in the same way that the others had and he also started to form an attachment when he didn't have memories as to everything else.

Coldblood is so rational that I prefer Li Mo’s jealous moment. She actually had this expression of unbelief on her face when she saw the princess rush into Coldblood’s arms. This was the first time I ever saw JC act and I have so say that by the time I finished this drama I thought her acting was quite natural. I always looked out for her reaction in that scene. Coldblood’s internal monologue confirming his notice of the change in his feelings was a gift for me. I wanted to know if he had realized the change in his feelings.

Her dropped jaw look is one I am constantly rewinding to rewatch.  It's one of my favorite moments!  I agree with you about Janine's acting.  It really is quite good here (and in H2H).  Cold Blood's inner monologue was such a welcome treat, particularly after watching a drama like H2H where they liked to withhold information on purpose at times.  :P 

I find it kind of funny that though Heartless was always helping her, Coldblood always end up with the responsibility for her.

Typical.  :P  I also have to admit that while watching the little relationship triangle between Li Mo, Cold Blood, and Wu Qin, I often thought of "Boys Over Flowers."  It just reminded me so much of how, in the beginning of that drama, Ji Hoo was the one who always helping Jan Di whereas Jun Pyo was the one acting like a jerk towards her.  Meanwhile, Ji Hoo tried to smooth the path between Jan Di and Jun Pyo and when she started to fall in love with him, it was pointless because Ji Hoo was in love with his first love.  Then, after his first love got married to someone else, and Jan Di and Jun Pyo started growing closer, he started to develop feelings for Jan Di.

Since Li Mo can read minds and hearts, I think she might have an inkling of Coldblood’s change in feelings towards her even though she might not have recognized them as romantic. I know she knew he was acting contrary to his heart when he falsely told her that he didn’t want her to go on the mission to Long Xi. Heh.  I guess he was in fact happy. LOL All those months away from the bureau might not have been bearable otherwise. 

I think Li Mo perhaps stirred Coldblood’s feelings because she was unlike the other women he was close to. Li Mo might be the first woman whom he met that was so openly antagonistic to him. LOL He’s always saying that she’s sharp tongued and full of schemes. I personally think on some level that attracted him. Heh.

True.  I love how he was always fearful of her trying to read his mind.  I know I've said it before, but it is worth repeating, I love all those moments where he pokes at her or pushes her head down to prevent her from doing so.  And definitely, I agree that her spunky attitude and refusal to kowtow towards him helped to set her apart from the others.  If she'd just fawned over him, she would've been no different than the other hordes of women who idolized him (and whom he easily ignored).  I think that's part of it.  She always kept him on his toes -- like when she tried to escape from the foursome at the Inn or later from the Bureau -- and so he had no choice but to be aware of her at all times.

4 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I also loved all the times he rescued her but the one in episode 15 with the bait and trap was a pivotal moment to me. Before he grabs her hand, they were standing face to face and there was that pronounced moment where they just stared into each other’s eyes and then he grabbed her hand. Speaking of this trap, those female deputies really have a serious failure of conscience. How could they set up another female to be raped? They stood still outside while Li Mo was ringing the bell. I wouldn’t wish rape on my worse enemy. Terrible people. They shouldn’t be deputies.

About him throwing his sword,  I wasn’t sure if it was thrown to its sheath. Was it really? Speaking of hot, I like when he grabbed his sword from the sheath after he heard Heartless outside his residence fighting the Nine tail fox. Actually, I find both moments hawt.

Right???  I love rewatching that scene for all the reasons you stated.  As for the other deputies, I'll give them more credit and say I don't think they wanted her to actually be raped, but they definitely wanted her to mess with her and frighten her which is why they didn't rush in immediately when they heard her ringing the bell.  Either way, it is definitely shameless behavior and certainly not actions befitting of people who are sworn to uphold the law and protect others!  I was so often frustrated with Yao Hua's two underlings.  Time and time again she kept telling them to stop, particularly as she knew it was pissing of Cold Blood, but it's like they couldn't help themselves because they just kept right at it.  Ugh.  They don't deserve to wear the deputy robes.

I don't think we're given enough information to know whether his sword actually made it back into its sheath -- he just threw it in the general direction of where he normally kept it and we heard a clank from when it landed.  Whether it made it in or not, it's still hot.  But with his martial arts skills, I wouldn't be surprised if it did land perfectly in its sheath.  And omg, I also really like how he grabs his sword with just a flick when Nine Tail Fox makes her appearance!!!  It's another one of my rewatch moments.  LOL. 

4 hours ago, celebrianna said:

We see the playful side of Coldblood for the first time.

Moments like those truly were precious.  :) 

And thank goodness!  I remembered again what I was going to say yesterday.  It actually relates back to topic you brought up the other day regarding the scene where they had the fake marriage.  I meant to comment on it then but I got distracted by our whole conversation re: dubbing.  I just wanted to say that I thought it rather clever of the drama to find a way to show the viewers what they'd look like as a groom and a bride without having to give us an actual wedding.  It was really sweet how nervous they were even though it was a fake wedding.  :wub:  And lol, yeah, I love how nobody wanted to be the groom/bride. 

(Speaking of dubbing, after spending these past two days rewatching, I can answer your question about Yang Yang: he was dubbed as well.)

@themarchioness, talking about the dubbing reminded me about silent filming for Chinese drama. I think it’s the reason why many times I feel like the sounds aren’t vibrant when compared to Korean drama that probably use the natural sounds around them while filming. Subconsciously, I always notice the quietness of Chinese modern drama which even make the city sounds seem dull.

Before I forget like you did, let me comment on some other things. I confess I was a little upset with Li Mo for dilly dallying in that foreign tribe although it did work out in the end because she found Heartless. However, before that I felt she wasn’t thinking enough about how worried Coldblood must be. It’s not like they lived in modern times where a phone call could be made. Anyway, she was almost forced to remain there by that chauvinistic prince. 

I also think she’s like her future counterpart by actually contemplating not going back to the bureau for Yao Hua’s sake. Thankfully she agreed in the end that she wanted to return to Coldblood.

So Li Mo went from calling Coldblood “Gonze” in the frozen valley to “Da Ge” after the valley? I believe you can explain why right? The transition was abrupt to me and although I know it was a transition to a more familiar way of addressing him, I guess because it was done without question made it kind of weird for me.

Now to your points. I feel like Wu Qin should have been only caught off guard with the news that they were already engaged. He shouldn’t have been so oblivious though with their relationship because they were often with him at the inn. Besides all those times, he could not have failed to notice that Coldblood brought Li Mo with him when they accompanied him and Ru Yan part of the journey where they intended to live in seclusion. Ru Yan also seemed aware of Li Mo’s relationship with Coldblood because before their parting she advised Li Mo not to miss out on time with Coldblood like she did with Wu Qin. So I figure if she realized it Wu Qin also did. Granted, that is before he lost his memory but he did regain them by time he met Coldblood again. 

Gah, I can’t stand Boys Over Flowers although it’s very popular. I never watched the drama but I watched part of the Japanese anime and read part of the manga and I just didn’t like the hero. Therefore, if I couldn’t stand the original I figured I wouldn’t be able to like the drama. I do know about the love triangle though and I agree it fits with the little love triangle in this drama although I find both Coldblood and Wu Qin likable. Coldblood has valid reasons for his grudge? against Li Mo and vice versa.

Oh, I was really talking about Yao Hua’s underlings when I mention the setup for rape. They exposed Li Mo to that twice. Speaking of that time, what did you think of Yao Hua trying to guilt trip Li Mo into giving up Coldblood because she rescued her? I couldn’t believe her lame attempt at guilt tripping her. I mean, that situation would not have happened if it wasn’t for her underlings. How could she not recognize that? I believe all of this plus the terrifying experience of almost getting raped caused Li Mo to explode when Coldblood got upset with her for almost losing her chastity. That was just too much pressure considering what she just escaped. She also probably still felt the weight of Yao Hua’s words. I felt so bad for her when she froze when Coldblood discovered her. She had the look of someone who was violated and was trying to hide it. Frankly, she looked ashamed.

I’m glad that the very next day Coldblood finally laid down the law to his unwanted harem. He told Yao Hua, her underlings and the princess in no uncertain terms that any future act against Li Mo would be considered an act against him. Then he grabbed Li Mo’s hand and walked off. LOL 

LOL I crack up so much when they were going around the table to chose the fake bride and groom. Everybody except Yi Yi and Chaser were so nervous that it’s hilarious. And yep, we got to see what their wedding would look like. I wonder if they married at the estate or bureau though.

Lastly and before I forget, since I have always seen the deputies as innocent guys, I was very shocked by Coldblood when he was forced to go to Yao Hua’s room at ASG’s place to supposedly spend the night with her. LOL I was wondering who was this person on the screen who grabbed Yao Hua and asked her if this is how she liked it or wanted it or something like that. I’m only on episode 18 so this is purely from memory. Ewww! I wonder how he felt having her all over him.<_< I was so glad that ASG had given her that pill at least only to prevent anything happening.

@themarchioness, talking about the dubbing reminded me about silent filming for Chinese drama. I think it’s the reason why many times I feel like the sounds aren’t vibrant when compared to Korean drama that probably use the natural sounds around them while filming. Subconsciously, I always notice the quietness of Chinese modern drama which even make the city sounds seem dull.

When I think of natural sounds, I think of Taiwanese dramas where you can hear the traffic, birds chirping, the wind blowing, etc.!  It's funny because there are differences between all the countries and their dramas and on some level, I'm aware of it, but they also don't necessarily stand out to me either.  But one time I was listening to a podcast and they made this observation about Taiwanese dramas and how "noisy" they always are and now it's like something that can no longer be unseen (or unheard, as the case may be).  

I totally agree with you about Li Mo extending her stay at the village.  I totally groaned when she caved to the other prince's request that she remain for his coronation -- like, no!  You know people must be worrying about you and you only just met this guy.  Who cares about his coronation?!  Of course it all worked out in the end because she found Wu Qin and they learned what a ruthless person that prince really was, but still.  She should've stuck with her original plan to leave immediately.  

Your understanding of the transition from "Gong zi" to "Da Ge" is correct; it was going from a more formal way of referring to Cold Blood to a less formal/more familiar way.  It may have felt abrupt in that it wasn't something we saw them discussing, but that's probably because we're so conditioned from watching Kdramas where we often see them discussing it.  But in Korean culture, it seems like the use of less formal speech is something that needs to be mutually agreed upon so people do hash it out.  There very well could've been a similar discussion here, but it just took place off screen.  The transition came though after their second kiss - which is notably the one where they confirmed their feelings for each other.   So, for viewers, when she switches up how she calls him, it's supposed to just further cements the transition of their relationship.

Sighs, you're right about Wu Qin. I was trying to find a way out/excuse for him, but let's face it.  He just likes being the tragic hero.  :P

Oh, I was really talking about Yao Hua’s underlings when I mention the setup for rape. They exposed Li Mo to that twice.

Yeah, I know you were.  But like I said, I don't think they intended for her to actually be raped the first time -- rather, it was more of a 2-for-1.  They wanted/needed to set up a trap for their investigation (remember, YY suggested the same idea to Iron Fist and Chaser) and then suggested Li Mo for the bait so that they could scare her.  They were always going to go in and save her, but they purposely waited to a beat before rushing in.  They also doctored Yao Hua's knife so that she wouldn't be able to properly defend herself.  All in all, it was still a horrible/despicable move on their part.  There are so many things that could've been wrong.  She could've actually been raped in the few minutes that they waited all because they wanted to scare her a little bit more.  As it was, things didn't go as they had planned and they're really lucky that Cold Blood arrived on the scene when he did.  As for the second time, they didn't know a rapist would come along and steal Li Mo away.  They were just calling her out late at night to give her a hard time because they're stupid idiots like that.  

I thought Yao Hua's attempts at guilting Li Mo into giving up Cold Blood were incredibly lame as well.  I'm just glad Li Mo often pointed out to her that affections take two.  It drives me nuts when the "other" women in dramas seem to forget that very important point.

As for Li Mo's explosion towards Cold Blood, I have a different interpretation of that scene.  She did as good a job as she could defending herself against the rapist, all things considered, and she held her own when she had to endure that stupid guilt trip talk from Yao Hua afterwards.  By the time she reentered the Inn, it looked more to me like the was brushing herself off and then when she saw Cold Blood, she tried to hide her top because she knew how he'd react -- which is precisely how he did react: he blew his top.  And when he blew his top, he was berating her for things that were either out of her control or not her fault.  So of course she got pissed.  She didn't ask to be dragged out by the two underling detectives, she didn't ask for the rapist to attack her, & etc.  But instead of listening to her, Cold Blood just kept scolding her and pointing  out that she might have even lost her chastity had it not been for Yao Hua ,and by that point, Li Mo just explodes and is like, "And so what if I did?  It's my business, not yours!"  Which of course only eggs on his boiling point until the only thing left for them to do is make out madly.  :P  

The thing is we know Cold Blood reacted as he did because he was actually worried about her, scared for her, and because he cares.  He just doesn't know how to show it and instead it comes out like a personal attack (he's too used to giving orders and people obeying them without question).  It's similar to that scene where after he's recovered from the Frozen Valley, she offers him fruit and instead of just handing it back to her and speaking to her kindly and reasonably, he shoves it back at her along with the vest.  He doesn't ask her to wear the vest, he demands she wears it.  He doesn't suggest she eat the fruit herself, he orders it.  After much back and forth, he finally admits, he wants her to eat the fruit and wear the vest because he cares.  But it's like whenever he admits he cares, he spends the next minute backtracking by telling her it's either because he doesn't want her to be something that drags him down or it's because he's grateful she saved his life.  It's always one step forward, two steps back!  Which is why when they're at the Inn, even though he's lashing out at her because he cares, and even though there may be a part of her that realizes that, she can't really know either.  That's why she tells him to stop being so concerned about her.

I also love that scene where she's wearing his clothes and he comes and makes his statement, leaving no questions for the others as to how he feels about Li Mo.   *swoons*

Re: Yao Hua's demand that Cold Blood spend one night with her . . . *rolls eyes*  I thought that was so pathetic -- it's like, "Is that really how you want that moment to happen?"  Have some pride.  Also, it's basically a form of rape since she's coercing him into it, so gross.  Like Cold Blood, I wondered how he was going to get out of it.  But then I cracked up as I saw him use the opportunity to "feel her up" to find the key to Li Mo's cell.  Smart man!

Spoiler

Re: Boys Over Flowers.  I've only watched the Korean version and that's because as much as I had fun watching that drama, it was only fun in a very over-the-top, crazy, epic, manic sort of way.  Like I realize there is absolutely no good reason for why I was as sucked into it as I was, and I know it's not exactly the most quality drama out there.  But I recognize that BoF and the other adaptations have their place in the Asian drama oeuvre and so I'll still recommend it to others (with a lot of caveats) even though I'll never rewatch it myself.  Once was enough!  I also never felt compelled to watch the other adaptations because the story itself wasn't one I super loved, but I think I'll probably end up watching the new one that's soon to be released by China because the "A Love So Beautiful" actress . . . .

@themarchioness, you should go look at that scene again with Li Mo hiding her top. She was indeed looking at the top because it was torn, but when Coldblood discovered her, she quickly hid the top behind her and turned slightly away from him, averting her eyes, covering chest and looking ashamed. I just went to confirm it. Also, listening to her argument, she does tell Coldblood that he doesn’t have to be concerned with her anymore but also added that she doesn’t care if he chooses the princess or Yao Hua which shows that their actions could have been bothering her especially after that confrontation with Yao Hua.

I actually understood Coldblood’s point of view simply because he told the two underlings that it was late and Li Mo was asleep and they should wait for tomorrow. But oh no, Li Mo had to present herself to be used by them by promising to come with them to make them food. Not to mention he probably didn’t trust them after knowing all the things they did to Li Mo including using her as a live target, setting her up as bait, and covering her room windows with black cloth. In his place, I would be upset too because it was her choice to go out late at night with them. Of course, Li Mo was acting benevolently but I can still see why he was mad at her for exposing herself to danger even if she hadn’t seen it coming. 

However, I think Li Mo had a right to be upset with him because of the way he wasn’t giving her a chance to explain. Well, I did enjoy the intensity of that scene though and a firm resolve resulted from it.

Pathetic indeed. At least she showed a bit of shame when she first made the request because of the way Coldblood looked at her when she said it. I think he asked her how could she say such a thing. Ouch. Still, I totally agree that’s rape in another form. It was hard to see her sink so low even murdering innocent people like the newly weds.

I’m reminded of the discomfort Coldblood must have felt staying in the valley. As soon as he woke up that bitter woman was accusing him of loving someone else while taking advantage of Yao Hua’s good grace for saving his life. Ugh. He tried to send Yao Hua away but she refused. She is far too persistent. I felt bad for him because it could not have been easy owing her yet again knowing that what she wanted he couldn’t give her. Then Ms Bitter was also trying to persuade him to choose Yao Hua and forget Li Mo. 

Wait, they’re making another version of BoF? Is that the title called Meteor Garden or something because earlier this year I did see a poster of her with several guys and now that I think of it, it could be BoF by another name. Heh. I do like the actress In a Love So Beautiful. She’s so pretty.

@celebrianna I know the scene well, so no need to rewatch to answer. She does turn away, she does avert her eyes, and she does try to hide her top (which I find amusing because even if she manages to hide it from him, which she obviously cannot do, the fact that she’s not wearing it exposes her already. It’s like when my friend cut her bangs when she was three but hid the pile of hair thinking so long as she did that, her mom wouldn’t notice the cut bangs... but I digress).  But I just don’t think (nor do I get the sense) she reacted that way out of shame. Avoidance, yes, but not shame. She had nothing to be ashamed of. 

It surely was poor judgment of her to go with the underling deputies when it was already late, they had a track record for doing devious business against her, and Cold Blood had tried to put a stop to their antics already thus giving her an out, but they preyed on her kindness with their “woman’s business excuse” (notice how quickly even Cold Blood turned away at that announcement) and Li Mo could not have anticipated all the events that followed as a result of going with them.  

I also understand Cold Blood’s upset, and though I think he could have handled the situation better, I recognize he was acting completely within his character and personality (which I absolutely love).

And yeah, Meteor Garden was the name of the Taiwanese BoF adaptation (the first one).  The same producer is remaking it in China this year, hence the use of the same name and some overlap between the productions (like a cameo from the original actress, I believe). Meteor Garden 2018 has gotten a lot of buzz for obvious reasons; everyone is just waiting for an air date.

@celebrianna, boo, work was too bearish for me to hop on any earlier today.  It's fine.  We have certainly agreed to disagree before.  :) 

I wanted to share that I rewatched that scene last night where they're looking at the stars.  I love the whole of that interlude, but one of my favorite-favorite moments from that scene is where after they exchange bracelets he accuses her of reading his mind and this time she gets to poke/slap at him, as she says it's from being connected in their hearts.  My other favorite-favorite moment is where she looks at him and then smiles and says, "I feel the same," and then he looks at her bemusedly and says he never said anything.  The way he looks at her right in that moment reminds me SO MUCH of Nan Xian.  it's funny because I don't necessarily see Nan Xian in Cold Blood (or vice versa) despite Zhang Han playing both roles, but that moment right there.  I definitely see his future self in his past self.  :wub: 

Spoiler

Speaking of H2H, I finally pushed on to keep watching and now I'm past the London scenes - phew - they're actually less episodes than I remembered.  Haha.  So proof that my recollection was making it scarier than it needed to be and now I'm where she's in London and Guan Ti is being a man-toddler.  As for the BoF fans... yeah, I must admit.  The rabidness of the fandom is a a bit of a turn off for me, but *shrugs*.  Who can explain personal preferences?  

@themarchioness, awwwwwwwww! I love that scene you mentioned too. I've been holding off at continuing during the week otherwise I won't get any sleep at night and that would be bad at work the next day. I really love that whole night scene where they're talking about their future and those sweet words you mentioned and that lovely ballad playing in the background. It was good to see them relaxing and enjoying their time together after all they went through. :wub: I don't see Nan Xian in Cold Blood either but I think I remember the expression. It's funny to me that Cold Blood seem older than Nan Xian and Wen Nuan older than Li Mo. Heh. Maybe it's the gravity in their personalities that is making me feel this way. 

Fighting.

:) You managed to get past the London arc though it is also worrisome to see the way Guan Ti starts behaving.

@celebrianna you'll have to let me know if you have any different thoughts about not seeing Nan Xian in Cold Blood when you rewatch that scene, now that I've put the notion in your head.  :D  I'm trying to think of what moment in H2H would have had him producing an equivalent expression... maybe the one where he asks WN why she looked so disappointed (after he teased her by first asking if she was free that evening only to then ask her to set up a meeting between him and ZLL).

I've never really thought about who seemed older (NX vs. CB/WN v. LM), but I like to remind myself every now and then of how young the characters in The Four are supposed to be.  We've talked about it a bit before, just how impressively mature they are considering how old they're supposed to be.  But I suppose people tended to grow up faster back and the day just given the responsibilities of day-to-day life and shorter life expectancies in general.

Another thing I'm keenly aware of when I watch this drama is how much uncertain life seemed to be.  I'm not sure how else to phrase it.  But, as an example, whenever they parted with the side characters the met along the way, they'd always say farewell by saying something along the lines of, "If we're fated, we'll meet again."  A lot of times that made sense in that they probably wouldn't see those people again because their paths had no reason to cross again.  But when Li Mo decided to leave the Bureau to find her mother, it felt like a punch to the stomach to hear Mu Xue, YY, and Li Mo saying that to each other.  It made me think about how there was a lot of stuff that could happen in between her journey from the Bureau to her mother, and how a lot of that stuff could be bad stuff.  They might have hoped that she would one day return to the Bureau, but there could be no expectation that she would -- and I'm not just saying it's because she'd find her mother and decide she want to stay there.  

I suppose that sort of fatalism is present even today -- we could get in our car just to go to the store and who knows what might happen -- but even still, it seems a lot safer traveling around today than back then when all you had were dusty roads with who knows what along the way!

Too many deep thoughts for one drama?  ;)  I recommended it to my friend who I also got to watch H2H.  She's loving The Four so far!  

@themarchioness, I think I have a photograph of that expression in my memory but when I get there I will definitely find out if I also see a glimpse of NX. That moment was so cute in The Four and that moment in H2H. I also suddenly remember when Coldblood woke up in Li Mo’s arms too after surviving the night after the wolf poison was removed. Quite a few sweet moments in this drama. I love how she told him let’s never be apart again and I think he hugged her until Ms. Bitter arrived to interrupt the moment. 

I also think people had to grow up faster in the past so I understand the difference in maturity level. Regarding the farewell, I certainly feel it in historical drama. I think the uncertainty of meeting again was particularly highlighted for me when Li Mo and Wu Qin fell off the cliff or when both of them returned to the bureau and Coldblood and Yao Hua had left. It’s not like our modern times where people can be traced, found or contacted relatively easily. So when Li Mo was saying farewell to YY and MX and basically asking YY to take care of MX, I really felt it for her and them. I don’t think she said goodbye to Yu’er did she? In any case, I was glad when Coldblood found out because if she had really left the city it might have been very troublesome to find her. 

One thing i always wondered about is was it even safe for her to make that journey alone? I always think that a woman traveling along would be vulnerable to assault of any nature. I know before she met Coldblood she was faced with the same path but thankfully Coldblood found her. Yu’er was able to survive on her own but I don’t think she was traveling a great distance like Li Mo intended to do on her own.

Random thought: I keep thinking how much money the deputies had to pay the owner of the inn for the stuff Li Mo destroyed in her frustration. LOL Gosh, she even tore up their curtains hanging from the wooden beams. I know the inn owner said it was his best room. Also, ASG sure wear more makeup than the women. LOL

When I watch this show I’m always diving a bit deeper trying to figure out what Coldblood might be thinking. I guess because he was so cold from the beginning I find it interesting to see how his feelings undergo a transformation from beginning to end. Definitely in the beginning he didn’t have any sympathy for Li Mo’s situation or predicament. I always wondered if Li Mo annoyed him when she told him that saying it’s his duty shouldn’t negate his conscience unless of course he doesn’t have one. It’s definitely an insult but Coldblood might not necessarily give it any credit because in terms of the royal law, she really was guilty. I just find it sweet how later on when the truth was exposed and Yao Hua and others wanted to capture Li Mo, Coldblood was adamant about protecting her. As much as he cared for the bureau and his fault in the entire affair, he never for a moment considered giving her up. While watching, I also ponder if certain moments he experience is his first. :)

I read the epilogue again today. 

:wub:

Martial art should be a part of every girl’s education. Women must not depend upon the protection of man , but must be taught to protect herself. Every women must know martial arts so that she don’t have to live with fear anymore and can achieve the real freedom. For more information visit https://www.merrchant.com/daily/martial-arts/

@celebrianna, attempting another reply and this time I'm not going to use "quotes" as I think that's what did me in yesterday.  I hope you found time this past weekend to continue in your rewatch of The Four!  I'm still watching scenes here and there, plus my friend's in the middle of watching (and loving it) so I check in periodically to remind myself of what's going on in the episodes that she's watching. 

Quite a few sweet moments in this drama. I love how she told him let’s never be apart again and I think he hugged her until Ms. Bitter arrived to interrupt the moment. 

Definitely!  Although, I will say that one problem of knowing what happens down the line is now when I rewatch scenes like that, I think about how that is *not* going to happen.  At least it's not as problematic here as it was in H2H.  Here, there's really only the time he got the royal edict to take the Princess as his wife and so he tried to drive Li Mo away, thinking it'd be better for her.

I don’t think she said goodbye to Yu’er did she? In any case, I was glad when Coldblood found out because if she had really left the city it might have been very troublesome to find her. 

If she did, they didn't show us that scene.  One argument for the "no farewell" camp is that surely Yu Er would've run forward sooner to reveal that Li Mo was leaving the Bureau if she had known about Li Mo's plans.  But the counterargument to that is that it seems highly out of character for Li Mo to not say good-bye to Yu Er considering how close they were.  Thus, I think it most likely that either one of two things happened.  Yu Er was the last person she said farewell to, which is how Li Mo was able to leave the Bureau but Cold Blood was able to chase her down so quickly.   Or, Li Mo knew that Yu Er would spill her intentions and so instead of saying farewell personally, left her note which she found soon after Li Mo's departure.  I'm inclined to go with the former option (because there's no note in Yu Er's hand when she rushes in to the room -- and frankly, let's be honest, chances are pretty good given the time period that Yu Er wouldn't know how to read anyway).

One thing i always wondered about is was it even safe for her to make that journey alone? I always think that a woman traveling along would be vulnerable to assault of any nature. I know before she met Coldblood she was faced with the same path but thankfully Coldblood found her. Yu’er was able to survive on her own but I don’t think she was traveling a great distance like Li Mo intended to do on her own.

Definitely not.  A single woman traveling alone would be easy prey.  We saw that with the girl who Li Mo and ZGWG saved after she was almost duped into be sold.  We also saw that with the Princess who, due to her sheltered background, was tricked into being a hostage slave.  I think Li Mo is more worldly than those two (certainly by that point in the drama) that I wouldn't be concerned that she would fall into similar traps if approached by bad people in her journeys.  But, just because she couldn't be tricked into a similar trap doesn't mean that she couldn't be forced into one.  No matter how street savvy she is, she still faces the danger of someone physically overtaking her.  As we saw on two occasions with would-be rapists, she's no match for someone physically stronger than her.

As for her being on a similar path prior to Cold Blood finding her, the difference is she didn't have a choice back then.  She was running away from a situation that had been thrust upon her so it was kind of a lose-lose situation; if she didn't take her chances with the unknown world, then she'd be transported to the emperor.  At least running away, there was still some hope.  This time though, she's making a conscious choice to leave the safety of the Bureau.  Granted, she's hoping to find her mother at the end of that journey, but what an arduous undertaking that still is (even with her mind-reading connections to her mother).  Frankly, because she was risking so much in leaving the Bureau, I think her decision to leave says more about her love for Cold Blood than it does her desire to find her mother. 

As for your point about Yu Er, are you referring to when she was tied up in the cabin or the fact that she must have had to make some sort of a journey when she left her aunt/uncle's house and came to the Bureau?

Random thought: I keep thinking how much money the deputies had to pay the owner of the inn for the stuff Li Mo destroyed in her frustration. LOL Gosh, she even tore up their curtains hanging from the wooden beams. I know the inn owner said it was his best room. Also, ASG sure wear more makeup than the women. LOL

LOL.  I have had these same thoughts as well!  And along those lines, I wonder just how much these deputies make.  As public officials, I can't imagine they'd make *that* much.  But apart from Chaser always trying to get his friends to treat him to a meal at the Royal Aunt's place, the deputies never seem to want for anything.  The Bureau also never seems to lack space or resources.

Also, speaking of the set designs, have you noticed that the pink fabric with white flowers seems to be *everywhere* in the drama?  It's used for Li Mo's bed when she moves into Cold Blood's quarters.  It's also used for the bed in the room that the female deputies use to trap the first rapist when Li Mo acts as bait.  He ends up tearing the tapestry down to tie up the other deputies.  And it looks like it's also used a window drapes for one of the buildings along the alley way where Li Mo and ZGWG confront the human trafficker when they save that girl.  Those are just few examples... I'm pretty sure that same fabric is used in other scenes too.  It's kind of a game for me now -- spot the pink/white flower fabric!  LOL.

When I watch this show I’m always diving a bit deeper trying to figure out what Coldblood might be thinking. I guess because he was so cold from the beginning I find it interesting to see how his feelings undergo a transformation from beginning to end.

TOTALLY.  My latest pondering has been over Cold Blood's reaction to the archery mishap.  After he catches the arrow, he lashes out at Li Mo like it's her fault that she was there and tells her that from now on, she's not allowed to make an appearance without his permission.  But the thing is, if you take away the anger and examine solely the contents of his words, we see that his banning her from doing anything without an order from him actually works to protect her from the outside meddlers.  Was he starting to care for her during this time and just not realizing it?  Or was he simply feeling bad for her and the romantic feelings still came later?  Around this time, we also saw him helping her out in other ways -- like when the Princess tried to take her back to the palace, he came along and ordered Li Mo to go quote-unquote take care of the horses.  Either way it's definitely a contrast to when Heartless asked him initially to help and he was basically all, "No, she's just a maid and I'm not going to concern myself with her."  More than anything, I think Li Mo gets to him -- and he doesn't quite know what to do or feel about that.  Heh.

I just find it sweet how later on when the truth was exposed and Yao Hua and others wanted to capture Li Mo, Coldblood was adamant about protecting her. As much as he cared for the bureau and his fault in the entire affair, he never for a moment considered giving her up.

Absolutely!  They are so :wub:

Finally, I have to say I don't find ZH's portrayal of Cold Blood stiff at all.  It's a difficult character to portray as - by the character's very nature - he's stiff and unfeeling.  In the hands of a lesser actor, the character might feel flat, but I don't get that from ZH's Cold Blood at all.  His feelings are often betrayed through his facial expressions (and particularly his eyes), and that is definitely credited to ZH.

@themarchioness, I’ll start off with your last comment. Did somebody say ZH’s Coldblood is stiff? I completely disagree with them, whoever they are. I don’t find him that way at all. This is the role that he played where I started to appreciate him as an actor. I absolutely adore Coldblood and I think it’s because of the way ZH played him. I also really like the way William Chan plays Chaser and Yang Yang’s Heartless. Sadly, I can barely finish William Chan’s Side by Side and Lost Love In Times. On topic, I do understand however that people will always have differing opinions on actors and shows so ultimately the important thing is we all should enjoy what we like irrespective of the opinions of others. B)

Regarding JC, she performed really well in that scene where Coldblood and her were arguing that night at the inn. She was so upset that she was trembling and even the way she spoke shakily while holding back tears was so natural. I really find her acting so real. And when Coldblood wiped away her tears and promised her that he won’t allow anyone to hurt her, that little sob that escaped from her lips nailed it for me.

As for your point about Yu Er, are you referring to when she was tied up in the cabin or the fact that she must have had to make some sort of a journey when she left her aunt/uncle's house and came to the Bureau?

I meant when she left her aunt/uncle’s house and came to the bureau. Yu Er seem knowledgeable about making it on her own. She planned her path to enter the bureau. I liked that about her. I also thought it was very nice of her to give Li Mo travel money when she was headed to Long Xi. 

LOL.  I have had these same thoughts as well!  And along those lines, I wonder just how much these deputies make.  As public officials, I can't imagine they'd make *that* much.  But apart from Chaser always trying to get his friends to treat him to a meal at the Royal Aunt's place, the deputies never seeto want for anything.  The Bureau also never seems to lack space or resources.

Perhaps for the damage Li Mo did, they can pay for it from a travel allowance provided by the bureau. As to their personal income, I also do not think they make much. Hearing the princess talk about the “little” status of a deputy, I figure they also didn’t get paid much in comparison to court officials etc. However, the bureau does indeed provide them with daily essentials which is a good thing. 

I remember the fabric print for Li Mo’s bed but I admit I didn’t realize the pattern in the other places even though they were right in my face. lol You’re quite observant. I did however notice how clean Heartless’ floor is in his room compared to Coldblood’s. 

My latest pondering has been over Cold Blood's reaction to the archery mishap.  After he catches the arrow, he lashes out at Li Mo like it's her fault that she was there and tells her that from now on, she's not allowed to make an appearance without his permission.  But the thing is, if you take away the anger and examine solely the contents of his words, we see that his banning her from doing anything without an order from him actually works to protect her from the outside meddlers.  Was he starting to care for her during this time and just not realizing it?  Or was he simply feeling bad for her and the romantic feelings still came later?  

In that scene I think Coldblood was absolutely furious with Yao Hua, her underlings and the princess. I didn’t see him as truly angry with Li Mo. I think it was more like he was scolding her than he was angry with her. And I absolutely agree that he was trying to protect her by telling her she’s not allowed to come out without his permission. He seemed pretty shaken that he was just able to catch the arrow just shy of it hitting her. I think he already cared for her at this point. I would say this whole situation kind of mirrors what would happen later when he was absolutely furious with Yao Hua because she left Li Mo unprotected from the rapist from Wen Ru Yi’s clan. He also scolded Li Mo when she tried to defend the situation. Also, if we assume the scriptwriter is trying to make a point through the words of YH’s underlings in the arrow incident, they too seemed convince that Coldblood’s fury was unnatural and could only mean he cared very much for Li Mo.

I find it so hilarious how afterwards when Li Mo was sitting by the pond recalling how Coldblood rescued her, she started to vocalize her thoughts about how he’s a strange cold blooded animal while she’s  chuckling and he was right there when she turned to get up and he had to steady her with his hand and then he asked her if that’s how she repay him...by making fun of him. LOL

I did catch up on some more episodes but I keep rewatching the ones at the inn after they returned from the fight with WRY. I really like those episodes so I’m savoring them before the upcoming separation.

12 hours ago, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, I’ll start off with your last comment. Did somebody say ZH’s Coldblood is stiff? I completely disagree with them, whoever they are.

That would be me actually. I told her that. Meh. Yeah I found him stiff in Four, so what?? Don't get me wrong, you guys know how much I like Zhang Han, it's just how I felt while watching this show. I tried, but I really couldn't get attached to his character. I have seen my fair share of "cold" male lead's in dramaland, and for me ZH's character in Four didn't stood out among the others. Maybe it's just the historical setting that is preventing me from being comfortable with his character, because let me admit I don't watch historicals often but when I do I want them to be "Peach blossom" level amazing. I'm sorry for the comparison, I don't know how else to convey my point. 

1 hour ago, kokodus said:

That would be me actually. I told her that. Meh. Yeah I found him stiff in Four, so what?? Don't get me wrong, you guys know how much I like Zhang Han, it's just how I felt while watching this show. I tried, but I really couldn't get attached to his character. I have seen my fair share of "cold" male lead's in dramaland, and for me ZH's character in Four didn't stood out among the others. Maybe it's just the historical setting that is preventing me from being comfortable with his character, because let me admit I don't watch historicals often but when I do I want them to be "Peach blossom" level amazing. I'm sorry for the comparison, I don't know how else to convey my point. 

You outed yourself!  :P  I actually wasn't referring to you at all.  I've read online comments from others who share your opinion, so I was speaking generally and not about any one person. 

Fortunately, I've also read comments from others who feel otherwise.  But this is why drama watching is always a very subjective and singular experience.  Having said that, if you're going to compare every historical against Peach Blossom... well, I'll just say like modern dramas, there are variances across historicals.  Historical dramas don't all strive for the same tone/tenor.  For me, The Four is fun and entertaining with a cute romantic story, to boot.  It's my Happy Watch.  But that's me and I don't expect everyone to feel the same.

@themarchionessIdk. We just talked about it recently so I thought you were referring to me. Also glad that I'm not alone. LOL. I rarely come and lurk here in this thread. And when I came after a long time, I saw a post indirectly referring to what I said, so of course I had to unlurk and post something. 

21 minutes ago, kokodus said:

@themarchionessIdk. We just talked about it recently so I thought you were referring to me. Also glad that I'm not alone. LOL. I rarely come and lurk here in this thread. And when I came after a long time, I saw a post indirectly referring to what I said, so of course I had to unlurk and post something. 

No, no, no.  If i"d wanted wanted to talk about you, I'd have just tagged you (so you could weigh in with your thoughts) since I know you've participated in this thread before!  ;)  

Instead, I was just sharing the same observation I had made previously with you to @celebrianna.

Archived