[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] The Four 少年四大名捕

jwand

OH!  I forgot to say -- any upset I felt in watching Coldblood comfort Yao Hua in the end related to H2H viewers being upset about the "lack of OTP time" in that drama.  :tongue:   I mentioned once before already that given viewer reactions to Yi Xin in H2H, I wondered how viewers reacted to The Four back in the day.  Just didn't seem fair (poor H2H... :tongue:)...

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@themarchioness , well said. I really loved the song that played when he was comforting her and they showed flashbacks of them when their partnership first began. It really hurt when I see her take one last look at him when he was going away to get the water for her and then she got ready to leave. So very sad. I always hoped she went back to that “bitter” lady and lived out her life there. I think she would do well there in the peace of the pasture with the soothing sound of the water  in the fish pond. 

As as far as a leader for the female deputies, I’m sure one will show up but definitely not among the current crop at the bureau. 

Regarding the upset over lack of OTP time, after watching H2H several times, my conviction has grown even more unshakable that any separation for the OTP flowed well with the story for me. Besides, watching WN hug NX for what felt like an eternity in the end was infinitely sweet. It made up for all the preceding angst for me. :wub: In this drama I admit the separation felt very long but at the same time they were missing each other so it wasn’t too bad because I think they realized just what the absence of the person they loved most felt like. 

22 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I always hoped [Yao Hua] went back to that “bitter” lady and lived out her life there. I think she would do well there in the peace of the pasture with the soothing sound of the water  in the fish pond. 

Regarding the upset over lack of OTP time, after watching H2H several times, my conviction has grown even more unshakable that any separation for the OTP flowed well with the story for me. Besides, watching WN hug NX for what felt like an eternity in the end was infinitely sweet. It made up for all the preceding angst for me. :wub: In this drama I admit the separation felt very long but at the same time they were missing each other so it wasn’t too bad because I think they realized just what the absence of the person they loved most felt like. 

That would be nice if she did, but she seemed pretty certain that without whatever ASG was giving her to keep her life going, she'd be a goner.  I'm not sure even the bitter lady would be able to help her.  I do find it interesting that despite the various ways people were poisoned but then able to be treated in this drama, Yao Hua's incident from several years ago is something she has never been able to fully recover from.  It's like she was ill-fated from the beginning.  In any event, her comments to Cold Blood outside the cave seemed pretty final to me.  In the same way that animals will often go off to die on their own, rather than be around others, that's kind of Yao Hua's sudden disappearance felt to me.  It's a very sad image/thought and I'm just glad she was able to have her closure with Cold Blood before that happened -- I think it was equally good for him as well.

As for OTP screen time in this drama and H2H, you know you're preaching to the choir on that one!  I totally agree with you.  The separation in this drama was definitely longer and less necessary (they really could've shortened Li Mo's visit with the other clan, and I'm just grateful that later when he tried to break up with her out of noble sacrifice reasons, they kept that to only an episode and a half -- was afraid that too was going to drag out), but ultimately it was fine.  At a certain point, I accept that dramas will drag things out for the sake of dragging things out.  The separation in H2H though is still something I think flows with the narrative and am totally fine with.  

I have to confess though when it comes to rewatching, I find The Four infinitely easier to rewatch than H2H.  I love the latter drama of course, and as you well know, but it's just H2H puts me through such emotional upheavals when I'm watching.  It's perfect for when I need my heart wrenched and wrestled.  The Four, on the other hand, is my happy place -- the bickering, the cuteness, the sweetness, the intensity -- it's got it all.  All without making my heart go through the spin cycle.  :tongue:  I'm so glad I finally decided to watch this drama.  

@themarchioness, YH dying alone in the wilderness is indeed a sad thought. I guess I just like to think that she had maybe a month left but it did seem as though ASG was basically keeping her alive from day to day. I believe her injury had something to do with her heart so maybe that’s why it was sapping her life away. Also, it might be that she didn’t get the proper treatment early on as implied by her father’s doctor friend.

I totally understand your take on rewatching. :D I get that way too where I just want to enjoy this drama without the emotional rollercoaster of H2H. However, I think it’s easy for me to rewatch H2H despite all the angst because the OTP never once wavered in their love for each other so I can put up with it.  I just love that kind of constancy in their love. I can also rewatch this drama because it’s so funny and sweet and intense and I really love the OTP and the other deputies. It’s definitely easier to rewatch than H2H since the road was smoother for the OTP.

Gosh, speaking of that arranged marriage, weren’t you proud of the way Li Mo decided to move on with her life and begin her search on her own for her mother? I mean, compare her determination to YH and the Princess. Coldblood rejected both and they refused to let go but Li Mo, who actually experienced his love, decided that there was nothing she could do since he wouldn’t be honest with her and the best thing she could do is leave since it would make him comfortable and she could start looking for her mom. I just love this girl. 

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Also, it might be that she didn’t get the proper treatment early on as implied by her father’s doctor friend.

That's right.  I forgot about that, but that also raises other questions like: why didn't she get proper treatment?  Was it because it was not available at the time?  Did she put it off because she was too busy being worried about Cold Blood?   So many questions . . . 

4 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Gosh, speaking of that arranged marriage, weren’t you proud of the way Li Mo decided to move on with her life and begin her search on her own for her mother? I mean, compare her determination to YH and the Princess. Coldblood rejected both and they refused to let go but Li Mo, who actually experienced his love, decided that there was nothing she could do since he wouldn’t be honest with her and the best thing she could do is leave since it would make him comfortable and she could start looking for her mom. I just love this girl. 

OMGosh, yes!!!  I especially loved that when everyone else was mad at Cold Blood and blaming him for suddenly doing a 180 on Li Mo, she was like, "No.  He must be going through some difficulties right now."  I loved her unwavering faith in him and their love, her certainty that he must have his reasons, and her willingness to leave to make things easier for him.  It was so selfless and brave.  I also loved that any anger she felt towards Cold Blood was over his unwillingness to confide in her after having promised each other that they would always share their troubles with each other.  Of course I understand why he chose not to, but still.  This is why I love them, such a perfect pair - and partnership!  :wub:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, celebrianna said:

However, I think it’s easy for me to rewatch H2H despite all the angst because the OTP never once wavered in their love for each other so I can put up with it.  I just love that kind of constancy in their love.

Their constancy is the best part of H2H.  But it's still heart wrenching to watch them doubt and then suffer because of it.  I found myself railing at the screen again last night.  LOL.  And I haven't even gotten to the London part yet!!! 

I am a dichotomy of loving the angst but also being an angst weenie -- thriving upon it at times, but then being scared of it at other times.  :lol:  I do love H2H though, and I will always rewatch it as well.  in fact, one of the scenes I always gravitate towards is the one where she calls him from the airport and then everything that happens after - his confrontation with WR, learning the truth, and then just being utterly shattered by it.  I love the way it makes me feel when I watch it, haha.  But it's just when I need my happy place, it's got to be The Four.  I seriously can't get over either drama (still) and it's making it reallllly hard to move on to watch something else.  Sigh.

(I thought I'd better put this under a cut since wrong thread and all that... we really just need a JC/ZH thread so we can talk about both dramas at the same time.  :tongue: )

@themarchioness, I tend to believe there wasn’t a special doctor around to give her the necessary treatment she needed. I’m still disappointed with her though because I really felt she needed to heed the doctor’s advice when he told her to quit her job in episode 16 or so. Spitting up blood should have scared her enough but just to be near Coldblood she insisted on continuing with her job. 

That’s right, she never for a moment believed his act. She tried her best to get him to tell her the truth before finally deciding to leave. She really meant to leave too because after she left the bureau she didn’t look back until she heard the shout of her name. I’m glad she scolded him for shutting her out. I still don’t understand why he didn’t tell her the truth though. She already figured out he was sacrificing himself for a reason. 

I haven’t watched H2H in over a week now. I think I have it memorized much like this drama so I can live on the memory for a while until I need a recharge. LOL 

The London part is painful to watch especially when I see WN self destructing back in China because NX wouldn’t return her text or call. I get a lot of satisfaction over him coming back to China and WN leaving him behind. I feel like a yo-yo a lot of the times between these two. However, I think the first 16 episodes are easier to watch in terms of lesser angst then the episodes after she returns to China to help NX. The hardest block for me is episodes 17 - 25. Way too much angst on both sides but I can endure it because during that time no matter how rocky their relationship became they still rejected the person next to them who offered them another path to love in episodes 21 - 26. 

I can tell you that I watched this drama last summer and I still love it very much so I’m very glad to hear that you enjoy it. You will most likely move on to other drama shows in time but there’s nothing to fear. I moved on to other drama shows after being stuck on this show for a while but guess what?  This drama is always in my watch queue to watch and enjoy anytime I want for as long as the license last on Viki. I already did my research and I know it is also on other websites just in case the license expires soon. ^_^ It’s kind of funny to me that I have watched a lot of drama shows since then and 99% of them I would never rewatch but this show I would rewatch in a heartbeat. :wub:

1 hour ago, angelangie said:

lols u guys rewatching 'The Four' for Janice and Zhang Han? :) 

I watched it for the first time after seeing them in Here to heart. LOL. Their chemistry is out of the world in both the dramas...

37 minutes ago, cheeriekwan said:

I m not attracted to Gui Gui at all. She paired with Zhang Han in A different kind of Pretty Man. Anyone tried that? 

I haven't yet. But I will eventually watch it. You know that I'm on a Zhang Han spree right now... I have reached a point where I would watch anything and everything for him. I'm so doomed. 

I had to Google who Gui gui is....LOLOL. ok my c drama knowledge is pretty limited, ok. So she is the one who was partnered with iron fist?? Yeah I liked her at first, but then I thought their story became toooooooooooo repititive. Same thing again and again. He will tell her to come out of that poison addiction, and she will tell that its not like she is doing it out of her will.....*yawn*

9 minutes ago, kokodus said:

I haven't yet. But I will eventually watch it. You know that I'm on a Zhang Han spree right now... I have reached a point where I would watch anything and everything for him. I'm so doomed. 

I had to Google who Gui gui is....LOLOL. ok my c drama knowledge is pretty limited, ok. So she is the one who was partnered with iron fist?? Yeah I liked her at first, but then I thought their story became toooooooooooo repititive. Same thing again and again. He will tell her to come out of that poison addiction, and she will tell that its not like she is doing it out of her will.....*yawn*

Yes she is the one with iron fist. Do let me know your thoughts on A dif kind of pretty man. Such a long name ADKOPM sounds funny too lol.

@kokodus, I felt Iron Hand was mostly the problem in their relationship. He was too rigid. The girl was obviously addicted but he was not very understanding of her situation. Thankfully Zhuge helped them resolve their differences. I like her spunk a lot. I just don’t talk about them because Iron Hand is such a stick in the mud.

17 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I’m still disappointed with her though because I really felt she needed to heed the doctor’s advice when he told her to quit her job in episode 16 or so. Spitting up blood should have scared her enough but just to be near Coldblood she insisted on continuing with her job. 

I still don’t understand why he didn’t tell her the truth though. She already figured out he was sacrificing himself for a reason. 

Reveal hidden contents

I haven’t watched H2H in over a week now. I think I have it memorized much like this drama so I can live on the memory for a while until I need a recharge. LOL 

The London part is painful to watch especially when I see WN self destructing back in China because NX wouldn’t return her text or call. I get a lot of satisfaction over him coming back to China and WN leaving him behind. I feel like a yo-yo a lot of the times between these two. However, I think the first 16 episodes are easier to watch in terms of lesser angst then the episodes after she returns to China to help NX. The hardest block for me is episodes 17 - 25. Way too much angst on both sides but I can endure it because during that time no matter how rocky their relationship became they still rejected the person next to them who offered them another path to love in episodes 21 - 26. 

I can tell you that I watched this drama last summer and I still love it very much so I’m very glad to hear that you enjoy it. You will most likely move on to other drama shows in time but there’s nothing to fear. I moved on to other drama shows after being stuck on this show for a while but guess what?  This drama is always in my watch queue to watch and enjoy anytime I want for as long as the license last on Viki. I already did my research and I know it is also on other websites just in case the license expires soon. ^_^ It’s kind of funny to me that I have watched a lot of drama shows since then and 99% of them I would never rewatch but this show I would rewatch in a heartbeat. :wub:

Ikr?  We knew that wasn't going to happen though.  The drama must go on!  :tongue:  But definitely there are so many different choices Yao Hua could've taken and her fate would've been different.  Alas.  The heart wants what the heart wants, I suppose.

As for Cold Blood, noble idiocy, of course!  I also think he thought it would be better for her to not know.  He would rather break up with her by having her hate him, probably thinking it would be easier for her to then move on, than to suffer by knowing the real reason they can't be together.  He miscalculated though because Li Mo knows him too well and could never hate him.  That's how strong their love is.  I really like that one scene where they run into each other in the corridor and after pausing briefly, they start to walk past each other until Li Mo speaks.  It was so well done.  

And lol, yeah, I know, I'll move on eventually.  Not new to this rodeo -- but some dramas linger longer than others and for H2H and The Four, that's definitely true.  :) 

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

@kokodus, I felt Iron Hand was mostly the problem in their relationship. He was too rigid. The girl was obviously addicted but he was not very understanding of her situation. Thankfully Zhuge helped them resolve their differences. I like her spunk a lot. I just don’t talk about them because Iron Hand is such a stick in the mud.

It wasn't just an addiction though.  At least that's not my impression.  My impression was if she didn't take the poison she would die.  So even though she tried, she couldn't, and to that extent, it frustrated me that she wouldn't just be forthright about that aspect with him.  Instead she kept reassuring him that she'd taper and then end the poisoning stuff, but knew she couldn't.  Having said that, I don't think Iron First made it easy for her so she had a hard time opening up to him about that.  This is why, like @kokodus, I also felt like there was a lot of repetition in their story.  

I can't say Yi Yi was ever my favorite character though.  There were times when I liked her and appreciated her role, but there were plenty of other times where I just found her annoying.  For example, It really bugged me how she hounded Iron Fist in the beginning -- I'm sure it was supposed to be amusing and entertaining to viewers, and it likely was for most, but not for me.  They'd be on their way to investigate something and she'd be like, "I'm coming too!" and they'd tell her, "No really, this is super serious important work," and she'd say, "I'm coming anyway!" and gah.  I hate that kind of stuff.  Also, I wish it were so easy to land a man by just asking him for his autograph but having him unknowingly sign a contract to protect you for life.... :tongue: 

@themarchioness, I thought Iron Hand knew that she needed the poison to stay alive. I think Chaser told him when they returned to the inn even repeating what the leader of the clan had told YY back in the cave. It’s confusing because afterwards they talked about the poison bites as if it was not necessary for her to stay alive so I don’t know what the truth really was in the end. Nevertheless, Iron Hand did not help the situation. 

I found her annoying at first too but after she went to the poison sect I liked the change in her character. 

2 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

@themarchioness, I thought Iron Hand knew that she needed the poison to stay alive. I think Chaser told him when they returned to the inn even repeating what the leader of the clan had told YY back in the cave. It’s confusing because afterwards they talked about the poison bites as if it was not necessary for her to stay alive so I don’t know what the truth really was in the end. Nevertheless, Iron Hand did not help the situation. 

I found her annoying at first too but after she after she went to the poison sect I liked the change in her character. 

that's what I thought too -- because I also remember Chaser telling that to Iron Fist -- but then he kept pushing at her like it was something she could get over if she just put her mind to it, and she let him, so... I'm just glad ZGWG came up with a solution for them.  

13 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Also, I wish it were so easy to land a man by just asking him for his autograph but having him unknowingly sign a contract to protect you for life.... :tongue: 

I'm going to have to try this trick on Han Han. LOL. I need to go to China first for that. Heeee

1 minute ago, kokodus said:

I'm going to have to try this trick on Han Han. LOL. I need to go to China first for that. Heeee

I already tried, but he's too smart for that trick.  He told me not to test his threshold and asked me if I knew what it was.  I had to admit; it's Wen Nuan/Li Mo.  :tongue: 

Archived