[Mainland Chinese Drama 2015] The Four 少年四大名捕

jwand

As I said earlier, I started rewatching The Four and here are some of my comments on episodes 1 - 3.

Episode 1: I did like the fighting scenes and they showcased the martial art talent of each deputy well. I guess the main antagonists were established in this episode as the city patrol department and the Royal prince and his hired mercenaries. We also become a bit acquainted with the female deputies and a subtle connection is made between Yao Hua and Coldblood. In another part of the world we get introduced to Li Mo who right off the bat has me laughing especially with the contrast between her father’s stern expression when he captured her and the immediate subsequent scene where we see from her vantage point that he’s kneeling down before her pleading and subservient to her will. LOL I like that he at least felt some concern for her after she was put to sleep but I suppose ultimately in his view his daughter entering the palace is a good thing.

I like that Li Mo doesn’t submit to this fate. I think what really struck me about her and all the girls is that they knew that entering the palace was not a desirous fate. There was the treachery in the harem that would be inevitable and still more the possibility of wasting their youth away in a cold place for no good reason. I like that Li Mo devises the plan to get themselves out of their predicament although she probably didn’t realize that serious consequences would ensue if caught.

Episodes 2&3: I find it so funny that the emperor cared more about catching the escaped ladies in waiting rather than investigating the deaths of his court officials. Then again, I suppose it’s also like an insult for a bunch of ladies to drug his soldiers and run away. I always get a kick out of Coldblood protesting the order to capture the escaped ladies because I know he would meet his intended wife by making that journey. Anyway, I felt really bad for Li Mo with her cousin’s betrayal. It must have been hard in that time for females to protect themselves and make a living in such a dangerous world. 

Next we have Coldblood and Li Mo’s meeting and as I’ve already spoken about the hilarious parts of their initial acquaintance, I’ll talk about what I gather their mindset to be. Obviously the two are at odds because of their conflicting interest. Coldblood seems to not want to trouble himself with Li Mo’s point of view or her fate. He would just rather follow the rules and bring her in. It probably didn’t help too that she used her schemes on him and he sees her as a troublemaker. I think Li Mo starts to realize the true consequences of her actions after witnessing the terrible fate of the other captured ladies and she becomes adamant about escaping. Fortunately for her Heartless, Chaser and Iron Hand are willing to persuade Coldblood who seems resolute about turning her in. Heh. I find it so funny how as soon as they started talking about trying to save her, Li Mo throws herself down on the table and starts lamenting with crocodile tears how unfortunate she was to meet her cousin who betrayed her and these four inhumane deputies. LOL The girl is a riot act. I just love her spunk and how quickly she adapts to her changing situation.

Yao Hua and Coldblood. She protected him with her life and confessed to him at that incident three years ago. At this point I do wonder what Coldblood feels for her. I know it’s nothing romantic but I guess I wonder if he feels guilty towards her although really and truly they were partners fighting against villains and that usually entail risking one’s life in a fight. On her side, it was obvious that she wants more from him when she told him that she feels that they’re growing apart and of course that lovesick smile that she was wearing after he puts the wolf necklace on her makes it evidently clear.

I admit that I just love seeing the Royal Prince’s fiancé dance. They really were good together from the flashbacks shown. It’s just unfortunate that their love ended so tragically. And what is up with Royal Prince and his handheld mirror? LOL He’s always checking his reflection. So weird.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Episode 1: I did like the fighting scenes and they showcased the martial art talent of each deputy well. I guess the main antagonists were established in this episode as the city patrol department and the Royal prince and his hired mercenaries. We also become a bit acquainted with the female deputies and a subtle connection is made between Yao Hua and Coldblood. In another part of the world we get introduced to Li Mo who right off the bat has me laughing especially with the contrast between her father’s stern expression when he captured her and the immediate subsequent scene where we see from her vantage point that he’s kneeling down before her pleading and subservient to her will. LOL I like that he at least felt some concern for her after she was put to sleep but I suppose ultimately in his view his daughter entering the palace is a good thing.

I like that Li Mo doesn’t submit to this fate. I think what really struck me about her and all the girls is that they knew that entering the palace was not a desirous fate. There was the treachery in the harem that would be inevitable and still more the possibility of wasting their youth away in a cold place for no good reason. I like that Li Mo devises the plan to get themselves out of their predicament although she probably didn’t realize that serious consequences would ensue if caught.

I liked the drama's opening as well as I thought it set out the background nicely.   The fighting scene where we got to see each deputy's particular talent was where I fell in love with Wu Qin's fan!  LOL.  

The scene where we met Li Mo took me by surprise because with the way she was running around the streets with people chasing after her, I thought for sure this was going to be her "meet cute" moment with Cold Blood.  But then it wasn't, and I totally laughed as well, when her father got down on her knees.  But the laughter didn't last for very long because then I felt really bad for her.  What really struck me while I was watching was how much it must've sucked back then to be a female and to have no say.  Even her dad didn't really have a say either.  Imagine what might have fallen on the family if the royal command wasn't followed!  I couldn't be too angry with her father for that reason, but her stepmother and stepsister were really aggravating.  When the stepmother brought out the tea, I yelled at the screen, "Don't drink it!"  But Li Mo didn't listen.  Sigh.

I was really impressed as well by the way Li Mo took control of her fate (and tried to help the other girls too).  I'm sure she didn't realize the full extent of the consequences of her actions, but on the other hand, there was probably too a feeling of it being a do or die sort of situation either way.  I feel bad for what happened to the other girls who were recaptured, but I'm so so so glad things turned out differently for Li Mo!

On the whole she really impressed me throughout the drama, especially when I think of her the context of her age and place in society.  If her mother disappeared when she was 3 and ASG waited 16 years to resurface, that means she was around 19 years old at the time of this drama.  She also grew up as some official's daughter, which means that she would've grown up with servants and whatnot.  But the minute her life gets turned around, she's not helpless.  On the contrary, she takes control of her own fate and doesn't balk at the idea of having to become a servant at Shen Hou Fu to survive.  She even does her job well, in spite of all the trickery thrown at her by others.  It's no wonder really that her tenacity and plucky spirit would eventually erode even the coldest of hearts.  :wink:  

I find it so funny how as soon as they started talking about trying to save her, Li Mo throws herself down on the table and starts lamenting with crocodile tears how unfortunate she was to meet her cousin who betrayed her and these four inhumane deputies. LOL The girl is a riot act. I just love her spunk and how quickly she adapts to her changing situation.

These moments were truly moments made of gold.  I just love how every time she was up to something Cold Blood could read her like a book and was totally unmoved.  Even when she trapped him in the animal trap, I bet she never anticipated that he'd be able to just leap out of it without any problems.  

One of my mom's favorite scene is where he sticks her in the back of the wagon with the pig.  That pig was so cute!  Even if it did have a little crush on Li Mo.  Haha! 

I also really loved how, in the end, it was Wu Qin who cracked followed by the others and in the end it was Cold Blood who stood there like, "Really? Are you all going to go against me on this?"  Yup!  Yes we are, and you are sooooo going to thank us in the end.  :tongue: 

Yao Hua and Coldblood. She protected him with her life and confessed to him at that incident three years ago. At this point I do wonder what Coldblood feels for her. I know it’s nothing romantic but I guess I wonder if he feels guilty towards her although really and truly they were partners fighting against villains and that usually entail risking one’s life in a fight. On her side, it was obvious that she wants more from him when she told him that she feels that they’re growing apart and of course that lovesick smile that she was wearing after he puts the wolf necklace on her makes it evidently clear.

I think he feels friendship, indebtedness, and guilt -- both over the fact that she saved him and that he doesn't reciprocate the feelings he knows she has for him.  The thing is though I also think he didn't let him have feelings for anybody so it wasn't necessarily a matter of it being her.  As Wu Qin explained to Li Mo at one point, with his wolf poison, Cold Blood refused to let himself fall in love.  It thus took a special person (LI MO! :D ) to break through those self-imposed barriers.  He just couldn't help himself when it came to her!  

And what is up with Royal Prince and his handheld mirror? LOL He’s always checking his reflection. So weird.

Hahaha, my mom asked this very same question.  I found him and all his flamboyant mannerisms hilarious and admit I could never take him seriously as an antagonist.  Maybe because I always knew in the end he'd lose.  But usually whenever we saw him, I just kept thinking to myself, "Mickey He must've had so much fun playing this character!"  

The villain, Mickey He, is the one who sang the ending credits song, I guess. I love that song. It's on my to-go playlist. Agree that he is more of a comical character to me....LOL. I couldnt take him seriously.

Edited to add the song:

This was the MV that made me to give this drama a try. :heart:

54 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

I liked the drama's opening as well as I thought it set out the background nicely.   The fighting scene where we got to see each deputy's particular talent was where I fell in love with Wu Qin's fan!  LOL.  

LOL I forgot to say I love this fan too. It's really cool the way he uses it to fight. 

55 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

The scene where we met Li Mo took me by surprise because with the way she was running around the streets with people chasing after her, I thought for sure this was going to be her "meet cute" moment with Cold Blood.  But then it wasn't, and I totally laughed as well, when her father got down on her knees.  But the laughter didn't last for very long because then I felt really bad for her.  What really struck me while I was watching was how much it must've sucked back then to be a female and to have no say.  Even her dad didn't really have a say either.  Imagine what might have fallen on the family if the royal command wasn't followed!  I couldn't be too angry with her father for that reason, but her stepmother and stepsister were really aggravating.  When the stepmother brought out the tea, I yelled at the screen, "Don't drink it!"  But Li Mo didn't listen.  Sigh.

Yeah, I also reflected on how terrible it must have been for females back then with only the family to rely on until they get married. The unfortunate thing is that the emperor saw her portrait and liked her. The family had to comply or suffer the consequences. I do wonder however if the family actually submitted her portrait to the palace or something. Otherwise, it's not like Li Mo went to an event and the emperor saw her. 

1 hour ago, themarchioness said:

On the whole she really impressed me throughout the drama, especially when I think of her the context of her age and place in society.  If her mother disappeared when she was 3 and ASG waited 16 years to resurface, that means she was around 19 years old at the time of this drama.  She also grew up as some official's daughter, which means that she would've grown up with servants and whatnot.  But the minute her life gets turned around, she's not helpless.  On the contrary, she takes control of her own fate and doesn't balk at the idea of having to become a servant at Shen Hou Fu to survive.  She even does her job well, in spite of all the trickery thrown at her by others.  It's no wonder really that her tenacity and plucky spirit would eventually erode even the coldest of hearts.  :wink:  

Indeed she was impressive and she was only 19 years old. Yu'Er said she was 18 years old and Li Mo told her that she was a year older than her so that places her at 19. It's too bad Yu'Er ended up spending the rest of her life guarding the tombs of the dead. It seems like her fiance went crazy after he found out she had to enter the palace to be a concubine. This emperor just keep breaking up people's love stories. 

What's also really resilient about Li Mo is that in the quiet moments she definitely feels her situation but doesn't allow it to bring down her spirits. When the deputies brought her to Divine Deputy Bureau, the first night she spent there she shed some tears while talking to her missing mom. She admitted she was alone, maybe even friendless and uncertain of the future. I really felt bad for her because she was raised sheltered and catered to but now she was completely surrounded by strangers in a new place facing a new life.  Nevertheless, as you said, she really takes charge of her life even when others are giving her a difficult time. She's definitely not a pushover. 

These moments were truly moments made of gold.  I just love how every time she was up to something Cold Blood could read her like a book and was totally unmoved.  Even when she trapped him in the animal trap, I bet she never anticipated that he'd be able to just leap out of it without any problems.  

One of my mom's favorite scene is where he sticks her in the back of the wagon with the pig.  That pig was so cute!  Even if it did have a little crush on Li Mo.  Haha! 

I also really loved how, in the end, it was Wu Qin who cracked followed by the others and in the end it was Cold Blood who stood there like, "Really? Are you all going to go against me on this?"  Yup!  Yes we are, and you are sooooo going to thank us in the end.  :tongue: 

LOL I loved when she trapped him in the animal trap. LOL It's so funny how he was practically bending to her will against his will...like when she told him to stoop down to look for her jade pendant he's resistant but does it anyway while grumbling and saying why she has so much nonsense about her. LOL It also shows how naive and sheltered Li Mo is because she should have known that the trap couldn't hold that famous deputy. I love the face he makes when she told him to stay down there and wait for a wild animal to show up...basically repeating his words to her in an earlier scene. They really make me laugh so much. 

Ah yes, the pig. He's so mean. The pen is obviously filthy if the deputies can smell it some distance away yet he put her in there and told her to behave and stop complaining. I find it so funny that when they got to the hotel, Li Mo actually turned to sneak out in the lobby but turned right back around when she saw that Coldblood was behind her. I bet you didn't see that part. lol

Yeah, it's funny that ultimately Coldblood is the one who saved her because Heartless told him they'll leave the decision to him. Gosh, I kind of can't wait to continue tonight to see her hijinks even more. :D

I think he feels friendship, indebtedness, and guilt -- both over the fact that she saved him and that he doesn't reciprocate the feelings he knows she has for him.  The thing is though I also think he didn't let him have feelings for anybody so it wasn't necessarily a matter of it being her.  As Wu Qin explained to Li Mo at one point, with his wolf poison, Cold Blood refused to let himself fall in love.  It thus took a special person (LI MO! :D ) to break through those self-imposed barriers.  He just couldn't help himself when it came to her!  

Hahaha, my mom asked this very same question.  I found him and all his flamboyant mannerisms hilarious and admit I could never take him seriously as an antagonist.  Maybe because I always knew in the end he'd lose.  But usually whenever we saw him, I just kept thinking to myself, "Mickey He must've had so much fun playing this character!"  

I agree. I think that's what he feels too for Yao Hua. It must be awful to feel that way though because I know he likes her as a friend but must still feel guilty every time she's trying to get closer to him. I also feel that Coldblood main personal focus was finding out the truth behind his clan's massacre. He wasn't interested in romance. I remember Heartless and Chaser spoke about this one night when Chaser was complaining about Yao Hua and the Princess liking Coldblood and Coldblood behaving completely indifferent. It really takes a special woman to make a man fall in love against his will and against his reason. Heh. 

Oh my gosh, it's the villain who sings this song. I have it on my itunes playlist and I love that song so much. I was listening to it just Friday and still crushing hard on it. I also find the villain comical but entertaining though. Last night when I saw him with his handheld mirror I decided I'll ship him with his mirror. 

@kokodus, I saw that video a year ago and I do love that song. 

Episodes 4 - 6

As weird and comical that I find An Shi Geng, I must say that his past love story with Butterfly Dance is sentimental to me. I feel for them. I find it interesting that she was the aggressive one in their relationship. He, on the other hand, seemed shy and demure. I kind of like her spirit and the way it seemed to influence him. They really seemed good together. He probably would’ve been content just to live his life quietly with her by his side. To me he should’ve made haste and marry her but I suppose emperors have been known to take other people’s wives as well. I thought it fitting and true to her spirit that rather than be forced to become the emperor’s consort she committed suicide instead. Quite a tragic love story for An Shi Geng. I think he went nuts the day he found out what befell her and is indeed trapped by the past.

Poor Ru Yan. Again this really highlights how women at that time were not in control of their own fate. Ru Yan being forced to marry An Shi Geng to become Butterfly Dance just because they look alike is terrible. I see no difference between her situation and what might of befell Li Mo had she entered the palace. The irony is that An Shi Geng is doing the same thing to her that the emperor did to Butterfly Dance. We also get to see that Ru Yan is in fact Heartless’ beloved whom he can’t seem to get over. 

We’re introduced to Chaser’s crush. I understand why viewers wonder why he likes her but I also understand that he grew up with her and there must be something that he finds loveable about her although I don’t see it myself. She completely ignores him but it’s obvious from the start that they’re quite old friends and he knows how to tolerate her tantrums and capricious ways.

Li Mo’s little outing with Ye Er started out funny enough. Their little girl talk in the lingerie shop always makes me chuckle as Ye Er teases her that if she wore the soft red undergarment that she was admiring, her future husband won’t be able to hold himself back. LOL Anyway, enter creepy imposter and I get a little nervous for Li Mo and the captured Ye Er. Back at the Divine Bureau we get our first encounter with Li Mo and Coldblood since she’s actually become a maid. Unfortunately for her, he appears at the right time when she’s causing trouble. LOL It’s so funny how she tries to hide behind her hand when the deputies guarding the doors informs him that someone is impersonating a deputy and he turns to look at her. I like that even if they argue it’s over a valid point. The fact is, by saving her they really did put the DDB at risk as well as their leader. I’m glad that Coldblood acknowledges to Heartless later on that he’s not trying to make trouble for her but is instead concerned about it being discovered that she’s actually the escaped lady in waiting.

More hijinks ensues as Chun Ping catches Li Mo searching through her stuff and demands that if Li Mo wants to stay in the bureau she has to sneak into the lion’s den aka Coldblood’s room and get a personal bodily item of his. LOL And the hilarity ensues the moment she enters his room uninvited. It’s funny how when I see her massaging him I remember Wen Nuan massaging Nan Xian’s shoulders in H2H. Anyway, the comical faces Li Mo makes as she exhaust her efforts massaging him according as he instructs her to massage him more aggressively has my side in stitches. The inner monologue is equally amusing. I still find it so entertaining how he takes his sword and adeptly strips her outer garments until the handkerchief falls. ROFL. The whole thing is just so funny. It’s no less funny that when Li Mo exits the room she’s loudly accused of seducing Coldblood while he cannot but help hearing the news too that he was supposedly seduced. LOL What a strange fate they have especially since they’re clearly antagonistic towards each other at this point.

Finally episode 7 which is one of my favorite episodes. We get more interactions between Li Mo and Heartless and Coldblood. After Li Mo is accused of seducing Coldblood and the rumor circulated the bureau, the female deputies and the maids begin a campaign of bullying her. I think this is where the friendship between Li Mo and Heartless begins in earnest as he concerns himself in the matter of the others bullying her by putting a stop to it when he sees it. He even goes to Coldblood to ask him to be the gentleman that he is and step in to clear up the rumor. It’s amusing that Coldblood adamantly refuses to get involved in her issues and two scenes later he’s in the right place at the right time to interfere in her issues. LOL

We see Li Mo jumping the bureau’s wall after she concluded that it was better to leave the bureau because of the excessive bullying which also eliminated her meals. This character truly is a spitfire. She adapts to changing circumstances well. After Coldblood tries to stop her, with good reason, she launches into her scheme to lose him by publicly announcing that he was a pervert who was harassing her. LOL This girl. Unfortunately it doesn’t work because the public knows Coldblood as one of the famous deputies and according to them he wouldn’t harass her. ^_^ I am thoroughly entertained by all these happenings and the deal is sealed when Coldblood puts his hand on Li Mo’s shoulder and asks her if she’s that eager for him to harass her. LOL These two...I can’t. ^_^

Li Mo following the nine tailed fox is nuts. She certainly is fearless considering she must have witnessed how both Coldblood and Heartless had their hands full with the nine tailed fox. 

Also, it was nice to learn a little more about Li Mo and her cousin/first crush. I don’t think he loved Li Mo. He asked her father for permission to marry her but when she went to him and basically offered him marriage, he thought it troublesome. I’m thinking he probably wanted any financial advantage he could gain if her father had accepted him.

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:
As weird and comical that I find An Shi Geng, I must say that his past love story with Butterfly Dance is sentimental to me. I feel for them. I find it interesting that she was the aggressive one in their relationship. He, on the other hand, seemed shy and demure. I kind of like her spirit and the way it seemed to influence him. They really seemed good together. He probably would’ve been content just to live his life quietly with her by his side. To me he should’ve made haste and marry her but I suppose emperors have been known to take other people’s wives as well. I thought it fitting and true to her spirit that rather than be forced to become the emperor’s consort she committed suicide instead. Quite a tragic love story for An Shi Geng. I think he went nuts the day he found out what befell her and is indeed trapped by the past.

Poor Ru Yan. Again this really highlights how women at that time were not in control of their own fate. Ru Yan being forced to marry An Shi Geng to become Butterfly Dance just because they look alike is terrible. I see no difference between her situation and what might of befell Li Mo had she entered the palace. The irony is that An Shi Geng is doing the same thing to her that the emperor did to Butterfly Dance. We also get to see that Ru Yan is in fact Heartless’ beloved whom he can’t seem to get over.

I definitely got the vibe as well that ASG was the shy boy when it came to Butterfly Dance -- in that regard she was the experienced one in that relationship, long accustomed to fending off suitors, whereas he was this simple poet.  I think the emperor stealing Butterfly Dance from him and her resulting suicide snapped something inside of him.  It probably didn't help that he was already coping with the fact that he was an illegitimate child within the royal family.  (Definitely caught some inferiority complex vibes in that regard in the later episodes.)  I can well imagine then that when Butterfly Dance was compelled to become the emperor's consort that was like the last straw for him.  Crazy towns then ensued!

I found it fascinating how Wu Qin's situation with Ru Yan basically mirrored ASG's with Butterfly Dance.  Yet, we can also see how the differences in how each man handled the situation changed their life's paths in such drastic ways. 

As for your comment that you found ASG and Butterfly Dance's love story sentimental, I giggled a little because it reminded me of something I noticed while watching.  In that scene where the Nine-Tailed Fox died with her husband, Li Mo gave a little speech about how in the end, it turns out Nine-Tailed Fox wasn't so terrible.  Rather, she was forced to commit the atrocities that she committed out of love.  (Or something like that.)  Only Cold Blood was with her in that scene.  But later, in the final episode after ASG is killed, she makes a similar sort of comment about how who would have ever thought that everything ASG did was out of love for one woman, and this time she's surrounded by the others and I swear, Wu Qin, Iron Fist, and Chaser give her this look like, "We are not going to rationalize this!"  Okay, it's more like the three of her look at her but that's how I choose to interpret their looks.  :tongue: 

2 hours ago, celebrianna said:

We’re introduced to Chaser’s crush. I understand why viewers wonder why he likes her but I also understand that he grew up with her and there must be something that he finds loveable about her although I don’t see it myself. She completely ignores him but it’s obvious from the start that they’re quite old friends and he knows how to tolerate her tantrums and capricious ways.

I never questioned his love for her, totally accepted that as a matter of course, but my goodness.  I'd say that for about 95% of the drama, she really bugged the heck out me.  She was so annoying!  If anything, I was impressed by Chaser's patience and willingness to deal with her.

3 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Li Mo’s little outing with Ye Er started out funny enough. Their little girl talk in the lingerie shop always makes me chuckle as Ye Er teases her that if she wore the soft red undergarment that she was admiring, her future husband won’t be able to hold himself back. LOL Anyway, enter creepy imposter and I get a little nervous for Li Mo and the captured Ye Er. Back at the Divine Bureau we get our first encounter with Li Mo and Coldblood since she’s actually become a maid. Unfortunately for her, he appears at the right time when she’s causing trouble.

More hijinks ensues as Chun Ping catches Li Mo searching through her stuff and demands that if Li Mo wants to stay in the bureau she has to sneak into the lion’s den aka Coldblood’s room and get a personal bodily item of his. LOL And the hilarity ensues the moment she enters his room uninvited. It’s funny how when I see her massaging him I remember Wen Nuan massaging Nan Xian’s shoulders in H2H. Anyway, the comical faces Li Mo makes as she exhaust her efforts massaging him according as he instructs her to massage him more aggressively has my side in stitches. The inner monologue is equally amusing. I still find it so entertaining how he takes his sword and adeptly strips her outer garments until the handkerchief falls. ROFL. The whole thing is just so funny. It’s no less funny that when Li Mo exits the room she’s loudly accused of seducing Coldblood while he cannot but help hearing the news too that he was supposedly seduced. LOL What a strange fate they have especially since they’re clearly antagonistic towards each other at this point.

That visit to the lingerie shop totally had me LOLing and as for Cold Blood catching Li Mo in the act of trying to return to Shen Hou Fu, definitely one of my favorite moments as he comments that she belongs to her.  Of course we know he had a different intention in mind when he said it, but considering that we knew what would happen eventually, it was such a RAWR moment.  :wink: 

As for Ye Er, I was just so glad that apart from being shackled in a deserted cabin she escaped unscathed.  As Li Mo's only friend at Shen Hou Fu, I really didn't want to see her come to any harm.  Meanwhile, it was interesting to see how even as Nine-Tailed Fox pretended to be Ye Er, I think she really did come to value Li Mo and the friendship that she offered.  It's too bad their paths had to cross under these circumstances.

The massage scene with Cold Blood was another great scene.  I wonder how long it took after they got together for Li Mo to finally explain to him what had been going on at the time, since Chun Ping never would.  :tongue: 

13 hours ago, celebrianna said:

Oh my gosh, it's the villain who sings this song. I have it on my itunes playlist and I love that song so much.

Yes, me too!  Mickey He's (end credit) song is, IMO, the best song from this drama's soundtrack.  Sorry, Zhang Han.  I prefer it over to your (opening credit) song.  But don't worry, I still love your song best on H2H's soundtrack.  :lol:

1 hour ago, celebrianna said:

Finally episode 7 which is one of my favorite episodes. We get more interactions between Li Mo and Heartless and Coldblood. After Li Mo is accused of seducing Coldblood and the rumor circulated the bureau, the female deputies and the maids begin a campaign of bullying her. I think this is where the friendship between Li Mo and Heartless begins in earnest as he concerns himself in the matter of the others bullying her by putting a stop to it when he sees it. He even goes to Coldblood to ask him to be the gentleman that he is and step in to clear up the rumor. It’s amusing that Coldblood adamantly refuses to get involved in her issues and two scenes later he’s in the right place at the right time to interfere in her issues. LOL

We see Li Mo jumping the bureau’s wall after she concluded that it was better to leave the bureau because of the excessive bullying which also eliminated her meals. This character truly is a spitfire. She adapts to changing circumstances well. After Coldblood tries to stop her, with good reason, she launches into her scheme to lose him by publicly announcing that he was a pervert who was harassing her. LOL This girl. Unfortunately it doesn’t work because the public knows Coldblood as one of the famous deputies and according to them he wouldn’t harass her. ^_^ I am thoroughly entertained by all these happenings and the deal is sealed when Coldblood puts his hand on Li Mo’s shoulder and asks her if she’s that eager for him to harass her. LOL These two...I can’t. ^_^

Li Mo following the nine tailed fox is nuts. She certainly is fearless considering she must have witnessed how both Coldblood and Heartless had their hands full with the nine tailed fox. 

Also, it was nice to learn a little more about Li Mo and her cousin/first crush. I don’t think he loved Li Mo. He asked her father for permission to marry her but when she went to him and basically offered him marriage, he thought it troublesome. I’m thinking he probably wanted any financial advantage he could gain if her father had accepted him.

Ahhh, you highlighted more of my favorite moments.  All the bickering and hijinks between Li Mo and Cold Blood in the initial part of the drama is what makes it so entertaining and fun.  Truly my favorite part of the drama. 

The thing that amused me about the bullying Li Mo received at the hands of the other maids and female deputies is she kept insisting to them that there was nothing between her and Cold Blood, and that if anything, she found him insufferable.  But they never believed her!  And it's like every time they did something to her, I swear it just brought the two of them that much closer to each other.  I think that was the only reason I could never feel too annoyed by their antics.  I just knew that in the end, the pay off for Li Mo's suffering would be great.  As someone having to go through it though, I was so impressed by Li Mo's infinite amounts of patience and forbearance.  I don't think I could've done it.  I would've been annoyed then.  :tongue: 

As for the cousin, I'm inclined to feel slightly more charitable towards him in that I don't think when he offered for her initially it was necessarily motivated by mercenary designs.  Rather, I think it was more a - they grew up together, had good feelings towards each other, and she was really pretty - sort of thing.  Remember back then people didn't really travel and so marriage pools tended to be limited to what was around them, so I can well imagine a day where the cousin looked at her and suddenly noticed her in a different light, and that's what compelled him to make an offer for her. 

But when Li Mo showed up on his doorstep after running away from the guards, that's an entirely different matter.  In the same way that her family would've been screwed if they didn't hand her over to the emperor, can you imagine how screwed he would've been if he was found harboring her in his home?  From that perspective, I completely understand why he would be filled with horror once he learned how it was that she came to be on his doorstep.  Even the deputies when they make the decision to hide her within Shen Hou Fu know they are doing so under great risk, but the difference between them and the cousin is that they're better equipped to keep her and keep her hidden.  The cousin was a poor scholar who, by all accounts, looked like he had a hard enough time keeping himself housed, clothed, and fed.  Add to that, he's certainly not going to be able to fight off any body if anyone ever came for Li Mo nor does he have any political connections to argue on his behalf if it ever came to that.  So yeah, the cousin freaking out.  I totally get that.  (And honestly, I think if that had occurred to Li Mo at the time, she wouldn't have gone to find her cousin.  At the time, she was just thinking to escape and scrambling for a safe haven.  The cousin was the only person outside of her immediate family that she could turn to, and I don't think she really thought beyond that.) 

But where the cousin did go wrong was to try and sell Li Mo out to the palace guards looking for her.  He could've tried to find a different way to distance himself from her, but instead he chose to be an opportunist and profit from her misfortune.  That was Not Cool, and so I can't say I felt too bad when he was dragged away.  He deserved what he got!

@themarchioness, Li Mo is sentimental. I couldn’t forgive Nine Fox killing so many people for her husband but I guess because Li Mo got to know her she felt compassion for her. When she made that speech about the Nine Tail and Coldblood was listening, I wondered what he was thinking because I know he said as much to the Nine Tail in an earlier scene that she had so much blood on her hands. 

The princess bugged me too. I guess for Chaser he knew her personality since young so he’s accustomed to it. I just can’t imagine why this girl would think Coldblood would like her when she has that kind of personality. 

LOL Yes, Coldblood does indeed say that Li Mo is his person and then proceeds to threaten her about her carelessness in leaving the bureau. Heh. Meanwhile, I think Li Mo is slightly developing a crush on Heartless when she apologizes for almost getting caught and compares him to Coldblood who she finds matches his name perfectly. Heh

I kind of think Coldblood might have figured out that Li Mo was implying that Chun Ping told her to steal the handkerchief later when she moves into his room. I hope he got it then.

I love Mickey He song a lot indeed but I like Zhang Han’s song about the deputies. I usually prefer ballads but I think I fell for his song when Butterfly Dance was dancing to it. LOL

I think what made the bullying bearable for me is that Li Mo stood up for herself. She didn’t just take the bullying. That’s my girl.

Agreed about the cousin. I also just remembered he treated Li Mo well according to her account of him especially when she was sick. Also, his circumstances were indeed very poor. I just didn’t agree with what he did to Li Mo.

Episodes 8 and 9

It’s nice that Li Mo tries to help the Nine Tail Fox but she does it almost clumsily. Thankfully the Nine Tail Fox isn’t rash even if she starts suspecting that Li Mo knows more than she lets on. Of course such an incident cannot occur without hilarity once Li Mo is involved because I almost died laughing when the physician diagnosed her with an infection of evil aura in her foot. ROFLMAO.

Heartless, as always, is a true concerned friend to Li Mo. He believes her lie and accompanies her to the doctor and later goes to Coldblood to talk to him about Li Mo. What I never understood is why Heartless had to go tell Coldblood that Li Mo is still upset with him for calling her out on scamming Heartless by pretending to be injured. Still, we’re getting to the starting point of something here when Heartless tells Coldblood that he seems to take a peculiar interest in Li Mo unlike he’s ever done towards any of the maids. Coldblood defends himself by replying that he doesn’t take a particular interest in her…it’s just that she’s full of schemes and I guess it’s good to be aware of a schemer. LOL I don’t think Heartless is entirely wrong on this because as I see it, Coldblood really didn’t have to go over to Li Mo and Heartless while they were some distance away talking about her injured foot. The fact that he went over there shows that he has some level of interest in her and what was happening.

I assume Coldblood’s wolf poison is something he got from living with the wolves for so many years and it gets aggravated/augmented by the hatred he has in his heart towards those who slaughtered his clan. I admit I was kind of disappointed that he sort of believed An Shi Geng’s words about his adopted father. I know he’s seeking the truth and will go where ever it leads, but the way he spoke with his adopted father and shifu kind of made me feel that he was a bit inclined to believe An Shi Geng.

It’s really something that Coldblood is still having nightmares after so many years of witnessing the murder of his clan. I can see it’s really a heavy burden for him as it really manifests when he’s sleeping and unguarded. Due to his outbreak, we’re getting more information on his relationship with Ji Yao Hua who makes her feelings for him quite clear. I can’t agree with her pushiness when it came to asking him to tell her about the incident with his clan. She does this after telling him that he’s selfish and he has never considered her one of his people because he told Heartless but not her. Eh. I don’t see the problem here. Heartless and him are obviously brothers. Oh well, he does tell her and then promptly rejects her by telling her that she has her own life and he has his own fate. Can he be any clearer? She already overheard him telling Coldblood that he doesn’t want to get her involved and if I was her I would think that he really means it.

Anyway, we also find out that the remedy to his wolf poison could be the art of mind reading which Li Mo possesses but nobody knew about until later when Shifu discovers Li Mo’s ability. We learn that her mom used to be a famous female deputy and lived right there at the bureau. Nice. So Li Mo officially starts to be trained in mind reading and Shifu later declares that she will become Coldblood’s official maid very much against Coldblood’s and Li Mo’s will. LOL

Little tidbits: I laughed so much when Li Mo burned down the kitchen. She’s really making a name for herself in that bureau. Also, it looks like Li Mo is definitely developing a little crush on Heartless.

@celebrianna, Li Mo definitely formed a crush on Wu Qin.  You can see it in how she looked at him at times and then there was the whole embroidery thing that she was making for him.  It's understandable that her heart would be swayed by him considering how kind he was towards her and looked out for her.  Cold Blood, meanwhile, was always antagonistic towards her (and the feeling was returned).  But that also meant that sometimes when he did things for her, she missed it -- the example that comes immediately to mind is when he was yanking her around on purpose (making her clean his rooms and stuff) not realizing that she wasn't kidding around when she said she wasn't feeling well.  So then when she collapsed, Cold Blood was actually the first person by her side (and expressed concern that she really did have a fever and was not well) but when she woke up from her faint, Wu Qin was the one sitting by her bed.  

Wu Qin and Li Mo had bad timing because when she was interested in him, he was still hung up on Ru Yan and if anything, was always trying to smooth the path for Cold Blood by telling Li Mo that Cold Blood really wasn't that bad of a person and had reasons for why he was the way he was, etc.  Later after Wu Qin started to admire her, she was already with Cold Blood.  (I use the word "admire" there on purpose rather than develop feelings because he recognized it wasn't going to go anywhere so it was more a bittersweet sort of attachment that he felt towards Li Mo.)  

If I was ever to write a fanfic for this drama it would be about how Cold Blood gets jealous that Li Mo once embroidered something for Wu Qin and demands something of his own.  :lol:

ETA: It's interesting to think about what might have been had the timing not been off, but I still think ultimately it would've been Li Mo/Cold Blood because they're just :wub:

@themarchioness, I kind of think Li Mo and Heartless don’t really suit each other. I feel like in front of Heartless she would try to act differently but when she’s with Coldblood she can act like herself. I guess it’s because I see Heartless more like a prince and more difficult to please from a romantic point of view. Even the way his place is setup seem kind of intimidating to me.

Looking at Ru Yan, I think both her and Heartless was more suited and they had more common interests (art, poetry, etc) and other such likes. I tend to think that the reason Li Mo is developing an affection for him is pretty much the same for why he was developing a crush on her later. In both times, it was because of the other’s kindness. Looking at her story with her cousin too, she told him that she always kept the kindness he’s shown her in her heart and that’s probably why she thought she was in love with him. But back to Heartless, I kind of can’t see them together because she’s so boisterous and unlike Ru Yan. The princess he meets later though reminded me more of his taste but of course this guy doesn’t have any fortune in romance.

Li Mo is a brave person. When nine tail was choking her and threatening Coldblood with Li Mo’s life, Li Mo was still encouraging Coldblood to disregard her life and not give in the Nine tail. This is the first instance but if memory serves me well she does this three more times. Twice for Coldblood and once for Yao Hua and once for Heartless.

Eh, I couldn’t agree with Coldblood for scolding Li Mo for doing her job as an overseer on the exam. She wasn’t wrong to stop the girl’s cheating. So unreasonable of him. I kind of believe he published her with the chores because of the exam incident. So bias. But wait, did Li Mo dip her face in his cooking water? LOL

I have to believe that Li Mo would not have agreed to be a live target for the Princess without the two female deputies persuading her it was an order that couldn’t be disobeyed because of the princess’ status.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:33 PM, celebrianna said:

Li Mo is a brave person. When nine tail was choking her and threatening Coldblood with Li Mo’s life, Li Mo was still encouraging Coldblood to disregard her life and not give in the Nine tail. This is the first instance but if memory serves me well she does this three more times. Twice for Coldblood and once for Yao Hua and once for Heartless.

Eh, I couldn’t agree with Coldblood for scolding Li Mo for doing her job as an overseer on the exam. She wasn’t wrong to stop the girl’s cheating. So unreasonable of him. I kind of believe he published her with the chores because of the exam incident. So bias. But wait, did Li Mo dip her face in his cooking water? LOL

I have to believe that Li Mo would not have agreed to be a live target for the Princess without the two female deputies persuading her it was an order that couldn’t be disobeyed because of the princess’ status.

Very brave!  Does your count include the time she told Coldblood to not exchange her life in exchange for the emperor's seal?  (I loved when he told her they could always get the seal back again but there was only one her.  Sighs.)

He totally punished her for outing the cheating girl.  But he was wrong.  Like Zhuge Zhenwo later told her, even if that other girl had passed the exam now, what would happen if she ran into difficulties while on the job?  She wouldn't be able to cheat her way out of that situation.  It was just an unfortunate situation because if that girl did not pass the exam this time, a most unfortunate fate awaited her back home.  (Just another example of how much it sucked to be a female back then.)  I tend to think Coldblood overreacted in the way that he did because he'd known it was the wrong thing to do.  It took a bit of convincing on Yao Hua's part before he agreed but after he caved, he got shown up by Li Mo.  

And definitely, there's no way she would've agreed to be the target without being forced into it.  Coldblood and Yao Hua knew it too.

@themarchioness, I forgot about the part on the cliff. It would be unfortunate if their mission failed but I was glad when Coldblood told her she was more important. So then that makes five times now. Truly a brave character.

That’s a vald interpretation of Coldblood’s response to Li Mo revealing the cheating test taker. It’s too bad that Li Mo then took the point of view of the others that she was wrong in exposing the girl. I was sorry for the girl too but, besides what Zhuge pointed out, Li Mo also had no way of knowing that Yao Hua and Coldblood was allowing the girl to cheat. 

I notice that after Li Mo saves Coldblood with her mind reading that became a pivotal moment in their relationship to one another. His manner to her became softer. I think one of the moments that signaled a hint of a “romantic” beginning was when he went to rescue her after she was set up as bait for the rapist. The look between them before he grabbed her hand to lead her out of the room said a lot. :wub:

19 hours ago, celebrianna said:

I notice that after Li Mo saves Coldblood with her mind reading that became a pivotal moment in their relationship to one another. His manner to her became softer. I think one of the moments that signaled a hint of a “romantic” beginning was when he went to rescue her after she was set up as bait for the rapist. The look between them before he grabbed her hand to lead her out of the room said a lot. :wub:

Absolutely.  I love those shared moments, especially those intense ones where you know he's just lashing out at her because deep down he really cares.  I wanted to lock them in a room until they just went at each other and figured it out.  Who knew that would actually happen!  :lol:

28 minutes ago, themarchioness said:

Absolutely.  I love those shared moments, especially those intense ones where you know he's just lashing out at her because deep down he really cares.  I wanted to lock them in a room until they just went at each other and figured it out.  Who knew that would actually happen!  :lol:

Were you upset when he was hugging Yao Hua outside the cave in the second to last episode? Some of timed comments on a Viki showed discontent. It didn’t bother me because I know clearly where his heart lie and during the conversation he also told Yao Hua that Li Mo can save her. I really just see it as him comforting her because she really was a mess. She wasted such precious time of her waning life on foolish pursuits. I confess I never understood how she can ignore her health to pursue love and why would she even want to burden someone when she was already dying.

@celebrianna No, because the truth of the matter is he and Yao Hua have a connection.  They trained together at the Bureau and worked together for many years.  He may not be "in love" with her, but I believe there is love and affection in his regard for her.  She's family.  Add to that, he knows that she has never been fully well since taking that blow for him that one time and that she has always been in love with him.  Both those things weigh on his conscience. 

Honestly, I'd have thought less of him if he hadn't offered her comfort in that moment and there's nothing to be upset about in seeing him do so (reminder to upset viewers: she's basically on her death bed!).  Also, his relationship with Li Mo is solid and there's nothing to feel jealous/insecure about.  Clearly, Li Mo understood that as well and that's why her only question when he returned by himself was, "What about Yao Hua?" and not, "How could you leave me to go comfort another woman?" 

26 minutes ago, celebrianna said:

I confess I never understood how she can ignore her health to pursue love and why would she even want to burden someone when she was already dying.

Me either.  She was a complicated character -- especially considering she seemed to understand that Cold Blood wasn't (ultimately) meant for her, but seemed to not be able to help herself either (in trying to gain him).  ASG really twisted her up there in the end.  I'm glad that by the time she met her end (even if it was too little, too late) she returned to the correct path.  

It's funny you should raise this question though as I spent my morning commute thinking about her passing and wondering who would take her position over the female division of the Bureau.  :D All those under her seemed so not appropriate for the job, especially considering how they kept going after Li Mo.   

Archived