[Drama 2013/2014] ♚ Empress Ki (기황후) ♚

cherkell

Guest emkay77

Taken from HJW Soompi. Credit to zoompi123.
zoompi123 said:Next Weekly (Taiwan) Vol. 685

I have kept these files for quite some time. This magazine was published several months ago after Jiwon's visit to Taiwan but I don't think its available in any HJW fansites yet, including baidu. Please give appropriate credit if you are reposting it.

Next_Magazine_685_2014071097_cut.jpg

Next_Magazine_685_2014071098_cut.jpg

Guest emkay77

Just found this awesome fan made trailer - seems like an interesting movie. Nice editing...as if the movie is about the fight between SeungNyang The Jackal vs Lady/Empress Ki. Different faces of HJW...definitely love it!  :x :x :x

Credit to NE O
I'll definitely watch this if it's real (of course this is just merely fanmade).....he he...seems EPIC.

Guest spectators77

Ha Ji Won Empress Ki in Philippines Teaser

Teaser List

Teaser 1

Teaser 2

Teaser 3  -Meet Seung-Nyang-

Teaser 4

Teaser 5 -Ang mabangis na si Wang Yu

Teaser 6 -Sino ang bibihag sa puso ni Seung Nyang?

Teaser 7 -Ang tagapagmana ng Yuan na si Togon!

Teaser 8 -Up Where We Belong- OST [MV] Cut

Guest spectators77

For Philippines Show:

Get a glimpse of life in the earlier days of Korea as a woman rises in royal ranks and ascends to power. Watch the political and romantic aspects of the life of Ki Seung-nyang in the award-winning Empress Ki, from Monday to Thursday at 10:20 p.m. @ GMA7 Philippines.

fsygZbS.jpg

Guest emkay77

In Philippines (GMA Channel), Empress Ki will be replacing I Hear Your Voice (IHYV) which aired its final episode last Thursday (October 16). EK will premiere on October 20 (10:20pm, PH time) This is the teaser of EK episode 1 shown at the end of IHYV.

Credit to Rondownload Asianobela

Guest emkay77

Short teaser of Empress Ki shown by GMA during commercial breaks. October 20 is just tomorrow! Hope EK receives overwhelming response as in Korea and Taiwan.

Credit to GMA Network

Guest emkay77

Excerpt of HJW interview in Taiwan - related to Empress Ki.[ENG] Ha Ji Won: I’m A Person Who Loves Being Pampered – Taiwan

Q: When 《Empress Ki》 was being broadcast in Taiwan, its ratings beat that of the local dramas for many times, did you know about this? 

HJW: I have heard this news in Korea, I have a lot of friends or fans around the community, like Instagram, Weibo, who congratulated me. That’s why I really wanted to come to Taiwan, because I was very happy.

Q: Ki Seung Nyang, this role has lived through a lot of stories, what do you think are the similarities and dissimilarities of this role with yourself? 
HJW: Seung Nyang has lived through many difficult things, which includes political struggle, or even love! But when she encountered these difficulties, she was fearless, intelligent, had wisdom, and did not panic to solve them, this is something I would like to learn from her; Then, the thing we’re not the same is…she’s an Empress, but I’m (laughs). To be able to portray this role is a very special and fun experience. And also, Seung Nyang is a very lonely woman, but in real life, I’m a happy person. Ah…also the Seung Nyang in Ta Hwan’s (Yuan Emperor) illusions and I are very similar.

Q: Continuously starring in many dramas, which do you prefer, period or modern?

HJW: I prefer to film period dramas, because it’s more fun, moreover, while filming a historical drama, I can also learn more about history. It makes me feel the feeling of time traveling.

Q: This time, in 《Empress Ki》, you unfortunately did not sing an OST, in the future, do you have plans of making an album or singles?
HJW: Basically, my singing strength does not reach the standards…even though I have an experience of singing an OST in the past, but the reason why I challenged myself to sing was because I was in the starring role, I would be able to show the character’s emotions more clearly. But making an album…it would be a difficult thing to do.

Q: The image that Ha Ji Won usually gives to people is someone who’s efficient in both brainy and brawny activities, but how is your private personality?

HJW: Compared to my friends of my peer, I’m a bit more childish…Everyday, the distressing thing is thinking of what to do to entertain myself. Even during filming scenes, I would also request the other actors to do some imitation!

Q: In Korea, you’re referred to as “The Chameleon” for having invested too much in dramatic roles, is it difficult to be detached from the experience?
HJW: After the end of a drama, I give myself some time to say goodbye to the role. If I film a new drama immediately, I would feel very contradictory. There has been a time when I acted in a drama soon after finishing one, and I had to seek a psychiatrist for counseling and advice.

Q: This time, for the Taiwan fan meeting, are you impressed by the fans?
HJW: I really did not expect that so many fans would come to pick me up at the airport, there was a fan wearing exactly the same clothing as Seung Nyang’s, it really made me surprised. There were also many cameras, I’ve never come across such a case! Then, I had foot massage, and I immediately saw a TV broadcast showing the way I eat.

Q: Did you prepare something that would surprise the fans at the fan meeting? For instance, speaking the Busan dialect or trying to speak the Taiwanese language?
HJW: You can teach me to say it (Ha Ji Won has learned “來來來,妳來,妳來” Come, you come here, “大家好” Hello, everyone, “我是河智苑” I’m Ha Ji Won in Taiwanese.)

Q: Nowadays, there are many actors who exceed their limits and work as directors, do you want to film your own (movie)?

HJW: Any actor will think about this question…but I really prefer filming, whether I’ll be a director in the future or not, I’m not sure. But now, there are still many challenging roles which I would like to take, so I will focus on acting.

Credit to http://cheshirecat1023.tumblr.com/

Guest emkay77

Excerpt of JJM Interview - Talking about filming Empress Ki drama.[ENG] Japanese Magazine Interview – JOO JIN MO

So as to make the distance between each other closer, making one’s co-actors feel happy is the most important. This and good acting are closely related.

In fact, it was an accidental opportunity [when Joo Jin Mo] saw Empress Ki’s outline and screenplay. At that time, [he] was in the process of doing preparation to star in another drama. Since [he] had already acted in a historical drama before, [he] wasn’t positive in wanting to join [Empress Ki]. [He] didn’t have any thought in starting to read the script, but in the end, [he] found himself getting more and more attracted to it, and so, [he] went to take the project.

In addition, there was another factor that touched/moved Joo Jin Mo’s heart. That was lead actress Ha Ji Won’s presence. Ha Ji Won and I debuted about the same time. [We] had filmed an advertisement together as models, thinking when we could act together as actors was already enough, then  saw Empress Ki. Ha Ji Won would be starring [in it], only because of this, my trust in this project had surged.”

As a result, the schedule was tight when Joo Jin Mo was considering the casting, he no longer hesitated in deciding to join Empress Ki. Proceeding to the filming stage, Joo Jin Mo voluntarily took the first lead in action. This time, I took responsibility of attracting hearts and minds. Originally speaking, not [making a way] to get closer to one’s co-actors would make one feel like that it’s bad acting. So everytime I join in one project, I always try to let myself, even if it’s a day earlier, get close to my co-actors as soon as possible. With regards to this, whether it’s behind the scene or while filming a scene, making the acting partner feel happy is the most important thing. By teasing/playing with the opposite party,  can eliminate my preconceptions, acting together will become more smoothly. Recently, I have adopted the way of inviting everyone to drink coffee to get closer [to them], but Empress Ki’s actors were too many, so it costed a small fortune.(laughs) But through such a way, the estrangement between each other was easier to remove, and also, it was easier to communicate and chat with each other.” 

[His] co-actors have all agreed, giving Joo Jin Mo the moniker “atmosphere maker”. In order to make the intercourse of the filming scene more smoothly, Joo Jin Mo had the initiative to approach the other parties from the beginning up to the end.

The suffering of Goryeo’s “outside-the-house group” and Yuan’s “inside-the-house group” are what  don’t understand. (laughs)

It can be seen that Joo Jin Mo, who possesses a high sense of professionalism, wants to make the project get better and better.

Here’s a behind story as evidence. In Episode 7, the deposed Wang Yoo and his men were sent to the Western Yuan border. In order to film the battle/combat scene, [they] left Seoul for the very far Gyeongsangnam-do’s mountain called fannme mountain. (*The mountain is called fannme.*)

The number of actors in Empress Ki was huge, as a result [we were] divided into 2 groups ‘Goryeo’ and ‘Yuan’. (laughs) That was the so-called ‘inside-the-house group’ (interior setting, meaning indoor filming) and ‘outside-the-house group’ (exterior setting, meaning outdoor filming). I belonged to ‘outside-the-house group’. During the harsh winter season, [we] had to manage the severe cold. For the whole day, [we] had an outdoor filming of highly difficult action scenes. And finally after only a few minutes, the montage could be broadcast already, it really entailed a lot of hard work. When [we] had just started filming at fannme mountain, there was still a great distance between the actors to say hello, but one day, after filming, [we all] had a relaxing drink together. After ‘living together’, after an outdoor filming that lasted for 2 weeks, becoming partners through thick and thin together, [we] became close to the point we took pictures together as ‘fannme comrades’." 

"That time, the members formed a camaraderie, [and with] a relationship of mutual trust, acting came out naturally and was brought into play. By the way, all were males. This camaraderie was probably something Yuan’s ‘inside-the-house group’ did not experience. (laughs) In an extreme environment, working hard together as partners, [we]cultivated the feeling of ‘being one’. In a story after that 3/4 (*EK lasted for 9 months, from the making up to the end*), [we] made everyone have one heart, help each other, and work together with a common goal.”

To Joo Jin Mo, a 51-episode long drama is an unknown world. Playing Wang Yoo gong is the thing that vexed him the most. If  play/act [it] the same way from the beginning up to the end, people will get tired of [it]. The initial layout of the story was clear, so I wanted to try going through the tone of voice which I had never tried before and the technique of [using] facial expressions to express the character.”

In Episode 3, meeting Seung Nyang for the first time after Wang Yoo gong, a Prince, became a King. Seung Nyang, who was disrespectful [to him] before, went on her knees and kept apologizing. Wang Yoo gong kept asking some questions to make things difficult for [her] just to tease [her], like a teenager smiling after succeeding at [his] practical joke while staring at Seung Nyang. 

After that, [he] happily hugged Seung Nyang and said, “Do you know how much I missed you? I’m so glad to see you,” as his face wreathed with smiles. This kind of Wang Yoo gong, the heart thumping moment, it must be not only Seung Nyang as one person [whose heart thumped].

However, the bright and cheerful times had come to an end. When Wang Yoo gong was deposed, I have wondered about the role before, that Wang Yoo shows ‘a clearly innocent man who has become a sinner’, this kind of attitude. An ‘innocent sinner’, actors shaping the role prior [to the start of the drama], [it’s the] moment when the role makes me show its characteristic/personality by myself.”

Once [i’m] decided about one thing inside [my] heart, until the end,  make great efforts to achieve [it].

Wang Yoo gong had clearly changed compared before, changes that were hidden in [his] heart.

In the past in Goryeo, the subject was [him] being in love with Seung Nyang and the sprouting sound of the geomungo (Episode 1). In the Yuan palace, [the geomungo] was played again, letting the two hearts temporarily return to the past memories of getting along with each other in [their] hometown; however, Wang Yoo gong playing the geomungo, and Seung Nyang, who was listening [to it], their positions had already changed so much (*the circumstances had changed*). 

As though reflecting on the memories of that time sitting with Wang Yoo gong as [they] played the geomungo with so much feelings. In the movie A Frozen Flower, [Joo Jin Mo] also played a Goryeo King, [wherein he had] experienced playing geomungo. To be able to play the musical instrument naturally, the feelings should be drawn very well. However, Joo Jin Mo had one thing regretful about, “Probably the scriptwriters’ impression of Wang Yoo gong has also the image of the King I played in the movie. To me, this time I wanted to let the viewers see a different musical instrument or things that were different from those in the movie.”

Wang Yoo gong and Seung Nyang, mutual attraction. Joo Jin Mo’s analysis of Seung Nyang’s charm: Seung Nyang is wise and attentive. Things that men are not able to think of, she can think of them whenever needed, and [she] takes action dynamically. As a result, people trust her as it ought to be. I think her seeing people and matters with a keen insight is the thing that should be carefully portrayed.”

Furthermore, working with Ha Ji Won in a drama for the first time, [he’s] also got something to share. Ha Ji Won makes people can’t help but say ‘Ha Ji Won is worthy’ of this kind of praise, a very excellent trustworthy actress. [she] does all she can to create an easy environment where[she can] bring out implicit or innate acting for the people who act with her. If there’s a certain picture (scene) which needs expression, she’s able to understand the situation at the time and the role correctly and show it. [she’s] really a very admirable actress.”

“Even though I say that there’s almost no similarity between myself and Wang Yoo gong, but the most similar is once [i’m] decided about one thing inside [my] heart, until the end,  make great efforts to achieve [it]. If I decided to give up on things at first, I would never start [doing it]. That’s why I feel this is much like Wang Yoo gong. In love, [Wang Yoo gong’s efforts] also lasted from the beginning up to the end. Until the end, [he] used up [his] final effort for the people he loved. This is also what I want to do.”

In October 2013, before Empress Ki’s broadcast, at the press conference held in Seoul, Joo Jin Mo said that it was his first time to appear in MBC drama, [My] ultimate goal is to win the Rookie Award,” earning the laughter of the attendees. “[As I] continuously put emotions into the roles I play, I hope everyone can see how I study the script intensively. If [we’re] able to make you feel differently from the past MBC [dramas], [that means] a great newcomer is born, and I would be honored because of that.”

In addition, at the end of the previous year, at MBC Drama Awards Ceremony, Joo Jin Mo won Best Acting Award. His acceptance speech on stage was this: “In order to protect Seung Nyang, I will make every effort to fight until the end!”

Wang Yoo gong and Seung Nyang, these 2 people, can’t [they] have a happy time like that once again…

Credit to http://cheshirecat1023.tumblr.com/

I love how JJM described SeungNyang's character : Seung Nyang is wise and attentive. Things that men are not able to think of, she can think of them whenever needed, and [she] takes action dynamically. As a result, people trust her as it ought to be." 

I am really depressed right now after watching the tragic ending of Empress Ki. Though I am already used to historical drama like this. I am expecting someone will die. it's a bitter sweet ending. I am waiting for Seung nyang to express his love for Ta Hwan, finally, it has been told. I am crying while typing this. None of my friends watch this drama, so maybe I can express my emotion here. Hahaha. The feeling is just similar when you broke up with your boyfriend. Haha. I don't know how to move on! T____T Good thing there is a North Cape CF. That will be my happy ending!!! hehehe

• Love 1